Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    Pretty much agree with you. The Acura is a fine car, but it just doesn't turn me on. I'd take a Lincoln LS instead of the Olds V8----I know it would cost me more, but.....
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I have a friend who suggests higher octane fuel is not needed in my GSE at this high altitude in Colorado. I don't really believe him and continue to fill up with the 91 octane. What are your takes on my friend's theory?

P.. I told my father-in-law about the 300hp GNU.
    He asked why I would want a 300hp Regal. Like a lot of people, he just doesn't understand.
    300hp GNX. Not GNU
    What the hell is Buick doing working with a fashion designer on the Regals? I want a nice looking car as much as the next guy, but give the Regal to the performance guys, not the fashion world. First the Pontiac Aztec, now this. I'm starting to think GM has lost it.
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I think GM is taking the wrong approach using a 'designer' series to spiffy up the car. Well, maybe I should take back some of that. The mechanics of the car is fine. There's more then enough hp and torque then anyone needs. The handling is fine; considering that it is a Buick and GM does not want it to infringe on Pontiac territory.

What I'd like to see Buick put more time into is the interior. Seats with a bit more lateral & lumbar support...an overhead console w/ Homelink...HID lights (although the lighting on my 2000 GS is surprisingly good). These type of items would do wonders for the Regal with adding just a few dollars more ($200) to the bottom line; making it a damn close comparison w/ an I30 or TL in terms of ammenities.

OK...'nuff said.
    I've got an Abboud which essentially is the premium package and moon roof with the addition of other color options. It's a sharp car and didn't cost anymore than a "normal" GS.

I didn't buy it for the Abboud name but for what the letters GS stand for:-)It just happened to be an Abboud edition.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Did not see the Olympic Edition. On pictures it does not look neither more attractive nor less attractive than the stock one. To my taste, some colors feels a bit more a "ladies' car" than the usual Regal. At least, it have no chrome wheels bundled with LSE/GSE.

Interesting data:

http://carpoint.msn.com/Vip/Heraud/Buick/Regal/2000S.asp

80 percents of Regal owners are male. Even if the Olympic edition could shift the proportion somewhat, there are simply too few of cars in this trim available.

Our family is exception: My wife likes the power of GS as much as I, if not more, and usually drives the car.

Abboud, I believe is primarily known as a mens fashion designer:-) My name is Jack;-)

I do agree, however, that Buick could have better spent the money it invested in Abboud. After driving my son's Linclon LS for 2 weeks; ride, power delivery, interior trim/quality and handling would have been better places to spend the dollars. I still, however, like my GS, it's more roomy, more confortable and has better visibility for the driver than the LS. However the LS's road feel, handling, and V8 power make for a very pleasing machine!

Take a look at an Abboud (Exactly like my GS):

http://www.familycar.com/RoadTests/BuickRegalGS/index.htm

It was just my impression, after seeing the picture in the beige color.

Checked again with www.gmbuypower.com: the "Light Sandrift Metallic" color looks beige and a bit femine for me on my monitor... Though, do not see anything specifically femine in the edition at other colors.

As to the Joseph Abboud, I even did not hear his name before. I am recent immigrant, and, any case, never was interested in fashions.
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    I admit I never heard of Abboud until the Regal GS edition(nice in the new for '01 Graphite Metallic color) now I see Abboud everywhere especially on TV shows where the end credits roll...Mens Wardrobe provided by.....and the clothes are certainly nice. NOW how bout the money Buick spent on Tiger to endorse the car...that is a whole other subject.
    When I drove the Lincoln LS V-8 it did not impress me as the car felt exceptionally heavy and did not feel as spirit as the GS. Plus the back seat leg room on the LS was too tight.
    Try an 01 LS V8 Sport with 17inch wheels---again fine machine. Agree with your comments on the tight backseat!
  • pjonkheerpjonkheer Member Posts: 22
    I have a '99 GSE with about 11.5k miles on it. I have been regulary getting oil changes at my local buick dealership (not using synthetic). After reading on this forum, I have decided to switch to the synthetic oil and transmission fluid. Should I have my dealership do this, or would it make sense to go elsewhere? Also, how often should I be changing my oil?

Thank You.
    Just my two cents...

The 3.8ltr is an old, OLD dependable workhorse. With that said, I have my doubts that switching over to synthetic will gain you longevity or economies of scale. Just perform a typical LOF usinbg 10-30 every 3,000 miles for 25 bucks and you'll be fine.
    With synthetic and good filter I will change oil according to car computer. About every 6k miles / 6 months. Every change will costs about $30 for oil, filter, and sales tax, plus $16-17 for labor, fee, and taxes. $95 per year. This is the full list price.

With classical oil and the 3/3 schedule, it will cost the same $100 per year list. Something like $65 with the station coupons.

I value the 2 hours of my time more than the $30 difference. Not to mention the headache of remembering to change...

As to the better lubrication, this is a free ride.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    I have read, in past posts, that the GS's 3800 supercharged engine has heavy-duty engine parts (pistons, rods, crankshaft, etc.) to withstand the extra torque (280 ft-lbs) generated when the SC is activated (boost >1). Is this REALLY true? I asked my dealer and he said YES. I knoW FOR SURE that the transmission (in the GS) is a heavy duty one. That's shown at GM's website on their auto transmissions. Appreciate an answer.
    From what I call tell and have read, GM has not made any significant changes to the 3800SC engine. Since I am not all that familiar with engine specs., I have no idea if it is a good or bad thing. Possibly, since the 3800 is such a sturdy power plant, it does not need major modification. Additonally, from what I have read, the SC boost is limitd to 8psi which isn't exceedingly high. Would appreciate some further comments.
    I understand your thinking. But whether synthetic or 'classic' oil, I'd still perform a LOF at 3,000 miles. The very, very best thing you can do for longevity of your engine is the 3,000 mile LOF - no matter synthetic or 'classic'.
  • 99gs99gs Member Posts: 109
    I agree with yurakm about the oil changes. Use synthetic and go by the car computer. In addition to the reasons above it seems a little more responsible to have half as much waste going into the environment.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Just purchased a 2000 Regal GSE. I plan on changing the oil to synthetic at 3000 and then the next one at 5000 more and then 12,000 mile changes with a filter at about 6000 for the rest of its life. I have done this procedure on the past two cars that were predecessors to this one with no problems whatsoever. Oil analysis comes back fine. About 60% turnpike driving on this car with minimum 10 mile one way trips. I have gained confidence with synthetics over the 9 years I have used them and this 3000 mile change interval is a marketing ploy of the oil and car manufacturers to gain profit. It is the last vintage of the ice age in autos, we have 100,000 mile plugs (up from 12,000 10 years ago) electronic ingnition (up for replacing the points and rotors at 12,000 miles) , 150,000 mile coolant (up from 30,000) 50,000 mile severe service schedule tranny fluid (up from 30,000)(normal schedule is 100,000 miles) but we still have 3000 mile oil change intervals (even though the products and technology exists) pushed on us by the Pennzoils, Quaker States and Engine manufacturers of the US. (Europe,. same engine, has double the recommended schedules by the way). Oil lube is big business and one of the few items dealers have left for retuning service and they are guarding it with their lives! I also have a twin turbo car, oil cooled turbos, which I change at 5000 miles due to potential coking issue. (notice the supercharger oil in the GSE is just checked (not changed) at 30,000. The analysis on the turbo engine is great at 5000 and I am considering going to 7500. If you like the hassle and are really skeptical of synthetic oil capabilities then stay with the petroleum and change it every 3000 miles and keep your piece of mind. With 5 cars the hassle of 3000 mile changes would kill me.
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    I changed over to full synth at 5K, and am running Amsoil 0w-30 with 1 year/20K mile changes on the oil, and 5K filter changes. I save about $20 a year over conv. oil which leaves enough left for my yearly oil analysis which I am doing next month. I'll be sure to post the results.

There is a potential for synth to gain power and mpg. Mopar Muscle had a recent story about gaining something like 10hp on the dyno after changing all the fluids in a Dakota pickup to synthetic.

Bushwhack,
    The 3K oil change is bull, and can be proven so by oil analysis. Don't waste money (and the environment) by throwing good synth oil away. If you're worried about warranty, change at the recommended manuf. interval (7500), and do an analysis each time. With the analysis showing that there was nothing wrong with the oil, the dealer would have a hard time denying service with a claim of insufficient oil changes.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I've been following this thread occasionally and am considering changing to synthetic on my 00 Bonneville (bought used in Jan 01 with 18K miles - now has 22K on it). I do 75 - 80% hiway driving on my 100 mile round trip commute and have always changed dino oil at 4-5K miles. This looks interesting.

Where does one get this analysis done? Is it an annual requirement?

Ken
    There are several companies out there doing it and I believe some auto part chains offer a service as well. Do an internet search.
    My cars and schedules are:
    1992 Camry Se 133,000, 7500 mile oil and filter
    1996 Mercury Mystique,59,000 miles, once a year, filter at 6 months, (7-10,000 miles a year)
    1997 isuzu Rodeo, 59,000 miles, once a year, filter at 6 mons, 12,000 miles a year
    1997 Mitsubishi 3000GT VR-4, 15,000 miles, every 5000 miles for now due to turbos
    2000 Buick Regal GSE, 1900 miles, slowly building up to 12,000 mile changes with filter at 6 months.
    Also all have synthetic tranny fluid and gear oil.
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    I think there is a forum here on oil analysis that may provide additional information. Here is some places on the web:

www.amsoil.com/products/g.html
    www.blackstone-labs.com
    www.globaltechnovations.com/products_kit.html
    store.yahoo.com/avlube/oilanalysiskit.html
    webmesh.com/assoclabs/
    www.autoappraisal.com/oilanalysis.htm
    www.pecuniary.com/synthetics/oilanalysis.html
    I'll have to get more into this topic and do some research here. Thanks for the links.

Ken
    Sheesh! Sorry guys, but I'm old school. 3,000 mile LOF changes have worked for me in the past and I'll continue doing so in the future...maybe.

Being a moderately open-minded guy (for a Republican), I just may send my oil to get analyzed after 4,000 miles of usefulness (I'd rather analyze at 4,000 then 3,000). Should I be able to make sense of the analysis and changing over to synthetic would be for the better (and longer LOF intervals), ya'll may just make a believer out of me. :)

But generally speaking, I live by 'If it ain't broke, don't fix it' - why tamper with what has worked in the past.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I still stick with the 3000 mile oil changes as well. I did this with my 89 Toronado and at 115, it did not use or leak a drop of oil. And the oil that came out still looked fairly good. I don't abuse my cars, but I do drive them hard and thats why I like to change the oil frequently.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    If you go to GM's website and click on their powertrain icon, it will tell you that the supercharged engine does indeed have roller rockers, heavier crankshaft
    and pushrods in addition to other interior engine mods to handle the extra
    HP and torque.
  • zathruszathrus Member Posts: 11
    bporter1:

Could you post the GM website where you read this info regarding the interior engine mods to handle the extra HP and torque?

Thanks
    The tops on PSI I have gotten off my boost is just above 8 too. I am sure it can get more. I wrote a long time ago in this forum about a recent trip at the Miami Auto Show and one of the techs who was visiting happened to work at the Regal plant on the line when the trannies are installed and she said any more hp or torque and GM will have to up the current GS tranny, similar to the one Caddy uses in the Northstar engine and said that would push the bill up above 31K.
    Just rcvd the latest MT and the Acura TL Type S is in a comparo feature.....a blistering 6.29 sec to 60...5 speed auto, 17 inch wheels. Nice ride....they kinda took a shot at the interior.
    I will read the full article in the next couple days.
  • bporter1bporter1 Member Posts: 229
    I do not know if I am right or not but it looks to me when I went to the Powertrain
    website both 3800 engines look to be the same. Again I am not sure. Anyway to access the Powertrain website: go to GM.com, click on the brand website and scroll down to powertrain and click on that. Up comes the powertrain home page, and just click on to the engines icon.
    Once that is done just click on the "other engines" and it will bring you to the information about all of GM's currently available engines. Scroll down to the 3.8l and click on to get the specs. Have fun and let me know if I am right or wrong, because now I am not sure.
  • aguyindenveraguyindenver Member Posts: 10
    After 2 weeks with my 98 Regal GS, here's an update (for anyone who's keeping track): I am still absolutely thrilled with the car! The comfort and performance make it a total joy to drive - especially on my somewhat long commute. This weekend I gave it a thorough cleaning inside and out and have been dying to show it off to everyone!

I have only a couple minor complaints with the car itself (see below). My experience with the dealership (an Isuzu-Suzuki dealer), however, has been less than stellar! To their credit, they did a good job repairing an odd stain/burn mark in the rear seat leather. However, everything else has been awful! They took 5 days to repair the leaking oil-pan gasket - several times leaving my wife stranded at the dealership for half a day having done nothing with the car! I recently discover that they over inflated the tires (as high as 48 psi!). I'll spare you all the other details, but suffice it to say these folks are some of the most incompetent, discourteous, and unethical people I have ever met!

As for the car itself:
    - no dash rattles to report, however we're beginning to hear a small rattle from the rear of the passenger compartment (will investigate further)
    - battery went dead on day 2! Nothing like buying a car only to have it not start on you the next day! (I have my suspicion the dealer knew it was on its way out!)
    - have been finding the climate control less than intuitive. Hate it when the thing overrides the fan speed I set and cranks it up to full blast!

That's about it. For the record - there's nothing wrong with the trip odometer (it was my own misunderstanding)
    Glad you like the GS. It really is a fun drive. Just so sorry to hear about the poor dealership follow up. There's no excuse, maybe the dealership should be reported to the Better Business Bureau at some point!
    Bonneville greetings to all of you Regal owners.
    We in the Bonneville forum are organizing a car meet in central NJ and would like to invite any of you who are in the area to attend. Don't have to live nearby either - I'm coming from Maine - so even you Ct ( Hi there Yurakm!) people might want to take a drive.
    It's planned for Sunday April 22 at Rockaway Mall off Rt 80 exit 35 anytime after noon. We hope to see Bonnevilles, Auroras, Grand Prix, Impalas, Regals and others there.

Please stop by the Bonneville forum and let is know of interest or email me (profile).

I enjoy your forum - take good care of those great Regals.

Ken
    I'm afraid Buick will not have the money to make improvements to the Regal. The Rendevous SUV will be a sales and financial disaster. If they continue down this path, I will have to look at another brand for my next car purchase. I love my 2000 Regal GSE, but want the backing of an innovative, performance driven company. Why don't they make the Bengal a reality? Instead, they base their new SUV on the ugliest vehicle ever created. I think the SUV market has peaked anyway.

Just my two cents.
    I agree and feel that Buick has been sitting on it's hand ever since the introduction of the "new" 97.5 Century/Regal. The Rendevous, since it is better designed then the "asstec" and does somewhat fill the void between a minivan and SUV, may be a success. However, Buick needs more excitment, more substance than just a Rendevous intgroduction! Introduce the Bengal, put a V8 into the Park Avenue Ultra, offer the LaSabre in supercharged sport form, further refine and redo the Regal LS & GS to clearly seperate them from Century. More later............like a new Riv or Wildcat:-)
    I would dearly love to put a Buick Wildcat in my driveway. That was such a sweet car! Can you imagine dropping a 300 hp Northstar V-8 into a LeSabre with some significant styling changes (no body cladding please though) and an interior with a good set of buckets and a console with floor shifter and real wood trim, chrome 17 inch wheels and appropriate performance tires - then go look for a BMW at the light!

Best wishes to all

Ken
  • bdreggorsbdreggors Member Posts: 143
    Maybe bring back the T-Type for the LeSabre: supercharged engine, blacked-out grill, drop it a half inch. THAT would be the most kick-[non-permissible content removed] family on the block!

You know, the Park Ave is going to be replaced by a LaCrosse-style luxury crossover around '04-05. Also, the Regal and Century are going to be redesigned for the 2004 MY and there are rumors that Buick might be producing the Blackwood concept in a limited capacity for its 100th anniversary in 2003.

http://www.rideanddrive.com/features/buick-blackhawk-800.html

That's one helluva car!

Have to agree with previous post. My experiecne is that you "MUST" inspect the car after every visit to the "ANY" dealer to assure the work was done correctly. they have either over/underinflated the tires, over/under filled the tranny fluid not topped off the oil after a leak like they said they did and the list goes on. Incompentence reins supreme all all dealerships now with, perhaps, Ford taking the lead.
    Thank you for invitation to the NJ car meet!

Though, I cannot be here: my son have a sport competition the very same day.
    Pardon my ignorance, but what was the Wildcat?

On a different subject, I looked at a Pontiac GTP sedan and coupe on a dealer's lot the other day. I just can't get myself to like this car. For some reason it just seems cheaply made. I still prefer the Regal over the GTP or Bonneville SSE.
    "What is a Wildcat?!"

Myths, Legends, and other Information about the Buick Wildcat

In 1953 Buick developed a prototype car called the Wildcat. It came with a 322 cubic inch V8 engine rated at 188 horsepower. The car was revolutionary for the time. The body was fiberglass. The wheel hubs remained stationary as the wheels spun. What the advantage of this was supposed to be is unknown to me.

The first Buick Wildcat produced for the public was sold in 1962 and called the Wildcat Sport Coupe. It was based on the Invicta and intended to compete with the Ford Thunderbird. It came with bucket seats, console, tachometer, a 401 cubic inch engine rated at 325 horsepower. Standard rear axle ratio was 3:42:1. About 2,000 were built.

The 1965 Buick Wildcat body came from the LeSabre. The 401 was still offered, as was the 425. Supposedly there were 5 versions of the coupe offered and 5 versions of the sedan.

1970 was the end. Only 23,000 Wildcats sold in this year of the Muscle Car. But the Wildcat went out in a blaze of glory, packing the Hemi-killing Buick 455 under the hood for the first and last time. This awesome engine produced 370 horsepower and 510 foot pounds of torque. Unfortunately, the genuine Hemi-killing Stage 1 option was not available for the Wildcat.

More at:

http://silverstone.fortunecity.com/saab/307/index.html

• guy21guy21 Member Posts: 129
    My 1999 Regal LS (25,000 miles) has developed an engine oil leak. It leaves a puddle under the engine oil pan anywhere from 2-4 inches in diameter, but not all the time. Yesterday, the dealer replaced the drain plug and gasket, but that apparently wasn't it. There is no evidence of seepage on the engine, but the problem continues. In the last 1,000 miles of driving, the oil level went down 1/2 quart. Any ideas? The dealer doesn't want to attempt any more repairs until it gets "worse". I'm tired of cleaning the garage floor every couple of days.
    I would think that the dealer could be doing more. Isn't there a dye of some tpye often added to the oil so that the leak can be more readily found? Ask your dealer about it.

If the dealer can't help go to a differnt one!
  • dremeliusdremelius Member Posts: 3
    I have never posted to this board but I have read alot of the messages over the last year. This board helped me make up my mind to buy a new GS in February. I would like to change my own oil. Last night I popped the hood open and looked around for the oil filter. I could not find it from the top and I could not get very far under the car to find it either. Can someone tell me which side of the car I need to jack up (or both) and once I get under the car is the oil filter accessible?

Thanks
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    Now look inside the right fender well and you will find the oil filter exposed.
    My 2000 GSE with only 750 miles had a similar oil leak. The oil pan bolts were all loose from the factory. Plus, they put a dye in it to look for future leaks under a black light. Your dealer should have done this also. I am not sure as yert if we found the leak but I think that the pan gasket was it.
  • dremeliusdremelius Member Posts: 3
    You just saved me the time it would have taken to figure that out on my own.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Hey curious, do Regals have front/rear strut tower braces as standard equipment?? I just got the part from GM and installed it in my Intrigue, it does make steering response seem quicker and the chasis feel tighter.