Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Buick Regal

Comments

• frankkfrankk Member Posts: 35
    The higher you go, the less octanes you need. That is why in Colorado regular is 85, super is 87 and premium is 91.
  • corgitoycorgitoy Member Posts: 1
    Went to my local dealer to look at a Regal with the Premiere/Gran Touring Package. They only had one Regal on the lot, but that's another
    story.
    Anyway, I mentioned the figures from Edmunds, and the salesman looked at me like horns were coming out of my head, and he showed me the factory sheet with the figures that are on the Buick site.
    Is the info here on Edmunds regarding the financing correct? Sounds too good to be true, unless Buick hasn't gotten the word to the dealers yet.
    But if the info's correct-another question, does anyone know of any good Buick dealers in the Metro Pittsburgh area? I live about an hour away, and I'll drive to make a deal.
    Thanks!
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    There is not much info on the Buick site:

http://www.buick.com/regal/pricing/current.html

Though, the 0% financing is mentioned. There is also a link to GMAC pre-approval form from this page, and the link to this promotion:

http://www.buick.com/promotions/spring/index.html

0% financing till end of May, details available at dealers only.

• woodybuickwoodybuick Member Posts: 33
    There are MANY regions and MANY different programs out right now. I can only speak for the Chicagoland area. The current program on Regals right now is 0.0% for 36 months, 3.9% for 48, 4.9% for 60. In addition, you get a $750 rebate. If you opt not to take the special financing, you get $1,250. This is the same program for the century and park ave. All of these numbers are good through the end of May. After that, you no longer get both the rebate and rate. Rate is good through the end of October.
  • inbjceinbjce Member Posts: 3
    Before I got my LS the other day, I spent a few hours checking dealer inventory on gmbuypower.com to see where I should go to get the car I wanted. The particular car I got had prices that matched edmunds, but another identical car did not. I found that the reasonfor this is a difference in manufacturing costs when the vehicle was made. For example: the msrp for my car (base + 1SE prestige + KA1 (htd seats) was $500 lower then the other car because it was manufactured earlier. Edmunds lists KA1 at $225 (the old price), but the current price (shown at buick.com) is $295. If you check gmbuypower.com, you will be able to check dealer inventory and see the window stickers, colors, vin's to find the exact car you want. Then just call the dealer(s) that have it and negotiate. My purchase took around 2 hours and was hassle (and haggle free) leaving me to enjoy my new car and the dealer to enjoy a reasonable profit. Sorry for long post, but I hope that helps. Happy hunting. John
  • pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Yes they are nice I admit..
    But they have proven to be a complete disaster thus far.
  • jsiebeljsiebel Member Posts: 2
    I have been reading the recent messages and I do not hear anyone mentioning something that I think anyone considering this car should know. It has VERY high road noise. This one item kills any enjoyment I get out of owning a 2000 GS with all options. In the Pacific NW where most of the roads have a ruff surface due to the use of studded tires, the noise makes it almost impossible to listen to the radio or anything else. I have tried replacing the tires with two models from Michelin that are known to have low noise and it has not helped. If you want a quiet ride to not get this car. I have the dash vibration too, but it is hard to hear over the road noise.

The car is fun to drive and the SC is nice, but the hurricane is no fun. In addition, the transmission failed at 4,000 miles and the driver's door sticks all the time. The trim on the door overlaps the trim on the body, not allowing the door to be opened easily. It is back to the dealer again for repairs on this item. Buick and the dealer have been great handling repairs, but I really don't want to see any more problems.

I have 8,500 miles on the car now and am looking forward to getting a better car.
  • grssracgrssrac Member Posts: 9
    Actually, I have found my GS to be extremely quiet - even with the stock Goodyear tires. I recently drove from Raleigh, NC to Charleston, SC on I95 and drove through much of SC with the cruise set at 95MPH. The GS was rock solid and whisper quiet and this includes very minimal wind/road noise. Granted, it is a good stretch of road, but even so, it has been very quiet as a daily driver as well.

AS for the tranny failure, it is unfortunate, but I have never heard of a GS transmission failing at 4,000 miles. Ever. Did the dealer tell you WHY it failed? Did it run dry, or was it a mechanical failure?

Now you want to find a "better" car. Good luck. The GS is quicker, more affordable, returns better gas milage, is cheaper to maintain, has lower insurance rates, is more comfortable and costs less than the competition and by a wide margin for most of these categories. Happy hunting!
    GS is extremely quiet car. At least comparing with anything in its price range.

Though, it is a bit less than ideal in the noise respect. At least my car, 2000 GS, 6k miles. I would say, not good enough to really enjoy the classic chamber music in all road conditions.

The fan is somewhat noisy. The dash had very annoying rattle. Currently fixed, after three days at dealer, but I have doubts this is for long.

And, when I took a long trip last fall, New Haven CT to Niagara Falls NY, the tires somewhat "slapped" the pavemement on the sews of concrete slabs. Even when the slabs were covered by a layer of asphalt.

I-90, NY state, mostly to the West from Albany. And the fast roads / local highways from Rochester, NY to Niagara Falls.

Of course, the very idea that you can enjoy such a music while driving, in any road conditions, spells a lot about how quiet is Regal.
  • jackjtjackjt Member Posts: 178
    My 01 GS is quite quiet! Have really enjoyed it. Sounds like you may have gotten a lemon.
  • zathruszathrus Member Posts: 11
    Keep in mind that the road surface has alot to do with interior (and exterior) road noise. I have found that some tires (make and/or model) on some surfaces are very noisy and vice versa. As always, your mileage may differ :-).
  • BushwackBushwack Member Posts: 258
    I concur with the few previous posts. My '00 GS with Goodyear LS tires transmitts very little road noise. In fact, the entire cabin is quiet no matter whether I'm driving canyons, boulevards or freeways of SoCal. I wouldn't mind a little more grip from the tires, but I can't complain of a rough/noisy ride. And a bit better MPG,..but I digress.

As for the transmission, it is rare to have problems with a GM transmission. GM trannys are the benchmark of what other manufacturers strive for. Someone correct me if I'm mistaken, but doesn't Rolls Royce, BMW, Jaguar (even though they are owned by Ford) and some Toyotas purchase trannys from GM?

Finding a better car for the money is going to be difficult. Before writing the $24K check for a loaded GS, I found nothing comparable. Maxima, TL, Aurora - all fine cars but lacked the 'bang for the buck' and value of the Buick.
  • bralleybralley Member Posts: 20
    Still loving my 2000 LS program car(although green with envy reading all about everyone else's GS!) We've had it for 3 months and have put 3600 miles on it so far (for a total of 18,600 on the car). Last week we took it out on a daytrip for the first time and it averaged 27mpg. My feeling is that when I make my next 8 1/2 hour run to VA from SC, it's going to get close to 30mpg. (We were on the interstate for the outbound leg, then came back via local highways)
    The car has not developed the annoying dash rattle, and seems to be pretty quiet on the road. So far, so good.
  • etharmonetharmon Member Posts: 399
    I know this is not your area, but is there any way you can see what the long term promo finance rates for TN are. The Edmunds link that was previously given seemed to imply the 1.9 for 60 months was for the southeast.
  • jsiebeljsiebel Member Posts: 2
    I rented several Regal LS on different trips is the South including NC before I bought my GS and like others that have posted did not notices any unusual road noise. It was quiet enough for me to be happy, but I believe this was due to the road surfaces being smoother than in OR and WA. None of the rentals had a sunroof. I wonder that is what is making the difference. The car is quiet in that you cannot hear other traffic go by, but the road noise is very high. You might be in for a big surprise if you drove your car here. My Blazer has at least half the noise of the GS.

As far as the transmission goes, it had oil but a bearing failed. This car was never driven hard, so I guess it is just bad luck.

I bought the GS because the price was very good compared to other cars, but I guess I should have paid more.
  • r2000r2000 Member Posts: 1
    Does anyone know how to eliminate dash rattles in the buick regal ls?We love our car , but the rattle is nerve racking!Seems to be to the left of center or behind steering column.Also dealer had to replace tail light assembly(water got inside).Please reply;have not taken it to dealer yet.
    There is a board named "Buick Regal Problem" under the "Maintenance & Repair" section of Edmunds Town Hall. Try the following link:

"Buick Regal Problem" Apr 5, 2001 6:23am

the dash (or under the dash) rattles are very common with Regal. It can be a loose wire, or a loose clip or something else. Reason for a specific rattle is hard to find even for dealership mechanic, after removing the dash covers.

I had a dash rattle from the very first day i bought my 2000 Regal. Or two different rattles - am not sure: passenger and driver heard different noises from different places.

The first service adviser it my dealership failed to write down my complaint concerning rattle. The second refused to deal with rattles, explaining that it takes too much work. After the rattle became even more developed, I make an appointment for test driving with service manager.

He heard the rattle and suggested to bring the car for a whole day, because it is so hard to diagnose. Well, when I took the car back the following morning, the rattle became even stronger. Took two days more to fix. And i am not sure at all it will not return back...
    I recall reading a few posts on the subject of Regal rattles many months ago. If still available, go through the archived posts in this forum. There was an easy find and fix for rattles near the steering column. I just don't recall the solution.

On another issue, for the first time since I bought the car (6,100 miles ago), I decided to check the various fluid levels. With my last oil change at 3,500 miles, I noticed (with the car hot) that I was low 1/2 quart of oil. Of course, the dealer could have given me 1/2 quart less at last LOF service. But I was wondering whether being 1/2 quart low on a GS was common for this engine? There are no oil spots where I park the car and the exhaust looks 'clean'.
    Taking the GS into the dealer tomorrow for the muffled backfire problem (when starting the car). I thought it would go away, but I am still having the problem on a random basis:-(

While I was in, I thought I would have them look at my heating/air cond. fan; it's a bit noisy and I do have some minor dash rattles.

Will let you know what happens.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Well, I traded my 98 SE for the Buick simply because I gave up trying to find a Maxima that had the same "BANG FOR THE BUCK" Well, earlier posts said that the Buick was faster etc. and offers more for the money. True, more luxury and accessories for the money. NOT PERFORMANCE After 3000 miles here are my observations. Buick may be slightly faster but it depends on how well you shift the 5 spd Maxima. However, handling/cornering there is no comparison. The Buick handles like a tractor trailer on turns, heavy heavy front end response whereas the Maxima is nimble and corners great at higher speed. Buick just cannot take the turns and the weight just seems huge when going into the turns.

reliability, two previous Maximas never saw a dealer, new buick, been in twice for oil leaks.

GM dealer trying to talk me into 3000 mile oil changes regardless of indicator light! Typical American car service rip offs but all are similar in this regard.
    I looked at the Maxima as well and ended up with the GS. I agree with your handling observation; the GS seems quite heavy/jumpy on hard cornering, which dissappointed me. However for straight line performance, looks, comfort, and overall value, I would still take the GS. I am happy with the car. Since I intend to keep the car for awhile, I hope I still feel this way in 5 years!

With all this said, the next time I buy a "sports" sedan, handling will count for more in my decision making process. Hopefully by then, Buick will have retained all the pluses and significantly improved handling!
    The Goodyear LS's are pathetic, which explains why the GS doesn't feel great on curves. A data point: my Bridgestone Blizzaks have no more winter compound left on them, so I left them on this spring (they still have 50% of the tread left). The GS handles better with the Blizzaks (these are snow tires!) than with the Goodyear LS's. If I buy the GS at the end of lease I'll get some real tires for it. Hopefully GMAC will be willing to bargain, because the residual price is more than used GS's are going for.
  • mwdreammwdream Member Posts: 91
    I was looking into getting a supercharger emblem put on trunk lid like the new models have. Buick charges $24. Found these on internet for anyone else interested in adding the "Supercharged" emblem like the Riviera had and NEW Regals have.

http://www.allroadster.com/mall/tm1114.htm

Supercharged rear emblem ($16)

http://store.clubgp.com/sidedecals.html

Supercharged decal stickers ($6) script decal

• pacinpelopacinpelo Member Posts: 142
    Comforting news:
    In speaking with someone this weekend who owns a 97 GS and has 93,000 miles and has been very reliable. Sugestion on handling: Eagle LS offers no support for this car (as we know). Suggestion was to install the sway bar that is present on the Pontiac GTP but not Regal, also BF Goodrich type tires work well.

??? A thought ???
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    I am a intrigue owner but i thought i might comment on some of the issues you have posted about in the last week.

All Wbody cars have what i would call high road noise. GM added additional rear wheel well liners on the '01 intrigue and impala. They have helped some, but it is still too much.

I believe the regal has a rubber donut between the suspension and the car. The grand prix and intrigue have it bolted directly to the body, hence the better handling but higher road noise in those two cars.

Yhe dash rattles are intersting in a car with such a soft suspension. My intrigue's dashboard creaks at the A pillar and rattles at the console. Do your regals do that too?

Do your cars have the clunky suspension and popping sounds when turning right?

For those of you looking for more refinement try looking at the intrigue, its DOHC engine is smoother than the 3800.

I have noticed that regal sales are way down. Do you think buick will be the next on the chopping block?
    Regal sales are down now and Intrigue sales have been slow for the past two years. Two excellent sedans yet the buying public seems to not realize what an excellent value both are. And just how excellent these two cars perform. I guess the old saying "you can lead a horse to water, but you can't make him drink" holds true in this area more than ever. I guess a little advertising wouldn't hurt as I haven't seen a Regal ad since "the official car of the supercharged family" ads of nearly 2 years ago. When was the last time you saw a Taurus or a Camry ad? 15 minutes ago probably. With Olds now out of the way, GM needs to funnel some advertising resources to Buick and fire that ad agency Oldsmobile used! Funny thing, I have yet to see an ad other than the one on Buick's website promoting the low finance rates on Regals and Centurys,
    The 2001 Gs has the same rear wheel liners as the GTP and Intrigue.

*I* don't think the DOHC in the Intrigue is any smoother then the bullet-proof 3.8 ltr. It's a fine engine, but the maintenance will cost an arm and a leg (as it does with most DOHC).
    All in all, if others do not care about the DOHC, I would recommend the car if for nothing else, its 5/60 extended warranty.
  • obyoneobyone Member Posts: 7,841
    You didn't see the regal ad with Tiger Woods? With what they paid him for that one ad....well there went the years budget.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I don't know why these Intrigue owners keep saying how rough the 3800 engine is, or how soft the suspension is. I have owned several stiffly sprung cars, a 5.0 Mustang and a Mitsibushi Eclipse and I can tell you the Regal has a firm suspension. It does not roll or bounce and is rock steady right up to its 111 mph limiter. As far as rattles go all GM cars I have ever ridden in or owned have dash rattles. Not that I don't like my Buick, I do, but the dash rattles more than my 96 Ranger 4x4 and that has a stiff suspension! The 3800 is one of the smoothest engines out there, mybe the 3.5 is a little smoother but it sure sounds like it has more problems with leaks and starting hard. In fact the Intrigue seems to be plagued with all kinds of problems. You know what they say, pride in ownership improves performance.
  • rcarbonircarboni Member Posts: 290
    Camry sales % are down YTD about the same as the Regal. Do you think the Camry will get axed?

Obviously, when the vehicle doesn't change, the sales volume tapers off. Buick needs something better to get more people interested, and drop these "theme" models (Olympic, Abboud). If I were running things, I would tune the suspension, get some better rubber, and bump the hp up to 300 as it was in the concept GP. Then copy all the little bells and whistles from the likes of the Lincoln LS and Lexus, and price the GS under $30K and the LS closer to $25K.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    The intrigue does have all kinds of problems, but the 3.5L is noticeably smoother than the 3800.
    Its highway passing power is something else.
  • armtdmarmtdm Member Posts: 2,057
    Look at the average age of Buick buyers, it is the same as Cadillac. They are about 60 years old whereas the GS and GSE should be appealing to younger buyers the styling remains a BLUE HAIR type image as does the suspension . I resisted buying one for these reasons but had to give in due to the give away price for a 2000 model year in February of 2001. Buick, like Cadillac, has to appeal to younger (30-50 age group) buyers!
    I really doubt that the 3.5 would outperform the 3800SC.

I think that once Olds is gone we'll see the 3.5 appear in Pontiacs and Buicks, and maybe even the Chevy Impala. Hopefully by then they will have gotten all the bugs out of it. If it is ever offered with a supercharger it could be something special, but I suspect that once the 3800SC is laid to rest that there will be no more SC engines from GM.
    I think it varies by geography and model, my observations in Colorado:

Park Avenue: geezer city (I know, if I'm lucky I'll be a geezer someday)

LeSabre: Around 40 years. Especially with the new model I don't see too many seniors behind the wheel.

Regal: Its Across the board. From 30's to seniors. GS's seem to gravitate around the 40 year old crowd.

Century: Curiously, mostly seniors. Perhaps because they are cheap and lees affluent seniors can afford them.

Now in California, I would expect a different picture. Yesterday I talked with friend in San Diego and he was suprised that we have two GM cars.
  • pinettedpinetted Member Posts: 104
    I happen to be 36. I looked at Maximas and and SHO's. The Maxima's were to small (old body style)and I could never get myself to really like the Taurus styling. The Regal had the best performance, room and reliablility for the money.
    As for the 3.5 engine, it is already slated to be discontinued in its current form according to some of the other sites.
    The 3.5 liter DOHC V6 does not have many problems. In fact, the only one that I've heard some people complain about is hard starting at times. By contrast, it is an excellent engine. and it should be because it's based on the Northstar V8s. The SC 3800 is quicker no doubt, but the 3.5 is one hell of an engine when you rev it up. b4z can tell you that. If GM wants to be competitve with other cars, they are going to have to put the 3.5 in cars like the Impala and Regal. Hopefully a supercharged version of that engine will follow soon. I've also heard an enlarged 3.7 liter version is in the works for the 2003 Grand Prix.
    I'm 26 and I like the Regal. As I've said before, I'm seriously considering one to replace my 98 Intrigue when the lease is up in a couple of months. I hear the stereotype that Buicks are an "old person's" car and while you do tend to see more older people driving them, this doesn't turn me off. So what if older people drive them? If I like the car and it fits my driving needs and desires(and budget) I'll get it. Anyway, if I end up getting a GS, just pull that Honda, Toyota, Nissan, et. al. right up next to me at the next stop light and we'll see who has the "old fart's" car.
    GM would put the 270 hp inline 4.2 in the Regal, then add the SC....now that would be something to consider.
    Took my 01 GS into the dealer the other day. First time at a Buick dealership. When I walked into the waiting room, it was like walking into a retirement home! Not a young person/customer to be seen anywhere at the dealership. Buick needs to do something drastic to be able to maintain it's current customer base and then add some youngsters. Otherwise, it's out the door with OLDS.
    well....
    OB. - Tiger hasn't done it! However, he doesn't have enough to work with. The GS is great, love the car (providing the dealer can "fix" it), but I can see it (the GS) has reached the end of its run. The Regal along with the entire line needs some fresh thought. The new Rendevous is a start but not nearly enough. Buick needs to get rid of what I call the clones as in UltraLasabre and RegalCentury! That alone would introduce some fresh thinking. If GM is going to market a luxury automobile, do it in style, make it unique, rival Cadillac! Don't dress up a LaSabre (it's very difficult to tell the difference between them) and pretend it's a Jaguar! Don't take the Century, drop a different engine in it along with some new springs and some plastic letters as in LS/GS and tell me I have a BMW!

Unfortunately, like in many large, bulky corporations, GM has developed an anal retentive Marketing Department that can not, will not and is not allowed to think out of the box. Take a look at LM's Lincoln LS it's an example of out of the box thinking, of a big corporation taking a risk! It's been a success. Go over to the LS Town Hall site and see the excitement that has been generated. It's about time Buick!

Enough, I am a bit frustrated with GM right now and it shows!
  • matrixfrogmatrixfrog Member Posts: 180
    Im 18 and I like the Regal. The brand spankin new ones anyway. I think the front ends are very nice and the back ends dont appeal to me. They are a nice car. Theres a lot of teenagers out there that are finally starting to be able to afford some of sportier sedans and I say good. I test drove a regal along with an intrigue. Ended up not buying any of the 2 and went with the aurora. This is a smooth car. I've been thinking about getting something that could fit a 3800SC without major mods in it besides the obvious cars. Need a project car. Any suggestions? Body needs to be light. BTW the hard starting that someone was talking is related to the fuel regulator.

Oh and BTW I hate it when people ask me if my parents bought my car for me. I work really hard to get me the things I have.
    BTW way my aurora is a 98 classic.
  • lkohnlkohn Member Posts: 13
    At 36, I must admit that I am the youngest person I know who drives a Buick. Like etharmon says, "If I like the car and it fits my driving needs and desires (and budget) I'll get it". Friends who initially balked at my choice sing a much different tune now. We always take my car because it is fast, comfortable and hold lots of people whether they be tall or small.

I must say I really don't mind the 'by products' of the "older folks" image Buick has. I maybe the only 'young person' at the Buick dealerships and service centers but I am treated with respect. When visiting dealerships while shopping for a car, the Buick salesmen were always polite, let me ask all my questions, let me do all the talking, and put up with my driving style when test driving. At the Service Centers, I get the same treatment. Wish I could say the same for the Chevy, Pontiac, and Ford Dealerships I have visited in the past. The best thing about the Buick image has to be the reactions I get from other drivers. You should have seen how upset some guy got in his gold badged V6 Camry when I went faster than him going around a corner coming off the freeway! He even tried to beat me off of the red light at the next intersection. Don't even get me started about going up hills..., lets just say I wish I had a copy of the song entitled "Bye, Bye, Bye" to play while passing.

Maybe Buick should have NHL players in their commercials. They'd be cheap compared to other sports players and attract a younger audience.

Matixfrog, my 17 year old neighbor likes my car. He always wants me to race EVERYBODY though.
    Yeah I have that problem too. Just the thought of 250hp under the hood makes my foot press harder to the floor as I type. Maybe I'll see yah on the roads sometime. Happy driving.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I'm 34 and own a Black, 2000 GSE. Buick needs to restyle the rear of the car and change the seats to have more side support. I second the need for suspension and tire improvements. Even more hp would be nice. If they would get a clue on how to market the car, it could be a top seller. I'm afraid they won't go ahead with any of our suggestions, but instead let the car die a slow death.

BTW We have over 7,000 miles on our car with no rattles or any other problems. Knock on wood.
    From what your requests are from Buick, I suggest you look at the Gran Prix GTP. Buick has done an EXCELLENT job with this car for the market it is appealing to.

Buick's goal was to produce an intermediate, quality luxury car with a comfortable ride and lots of straight line zip - which is exactly what this division of GM has done. On the other hand, GM uses Pontiac as its performance divison. Same engine, same frame but with better handling characteristics; sacrificing ride and a bit of quality/craftsmanship. As for Olds, well...

All in all, setting aside my personal opinions of my GS, Buick gets kudos for filling a niche in the marketplace. How they market/advertise the car is a separate issue.
  • pgorgespgorges Member Posts: 28
    I just recently took a second look at the GTP. Wanted to see if I made the right choice with the Regal. As you stated, it just seems the quality is not up to the Regal's level. I also think Pontiac almost over styles their cars, if there is such a thing. I guess for my age group and wants I should be a Pontiac buyer, but I prefer the Regal. On the subject of age, you could be an older driver and still want a performance, luxury car instead of a geezer mobile. I know I will try to drive cool cars no matter how old I become. My point is that Buick could bring in younger buyers along with the older ones if they would seperate the Regal from the Century and change their marketing strategy. As you can tell from this board, Regal owners can span from 16 to 70 years old. I think that says a lot about the car.
    I am pushing 60 and love the Regal GS. The deal maker in my purchase of the car was the 3.8L SC engine. I enjoy testing the boost guage:-)