Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Hi,

I just did some statistics today. I went to CarPoint looking for some customer ratings for vans. Then I just decided to compile statistics for 2000-2001 models. The results are not very precise because in many cases a number of respondents is quite limited but these numbers should give a good picture of customer satisfaction. Guess who is the last... :-) I believe this is because the press created too much hype about Ody and too many people expected more from it. The MPV is at very good position (almost on top).

I'm not sure if the HTML table will be shown OK but I'll try: &lt
    Hi,

I just did some statistics today. I went to CarPoint looking for some customer ratings for vans. Then I just decided to compile statistics for 2000-2001 models. The results are not very precise because in many cases a number of respondents is quite limited but these numbers should give a good picture of customer satisfaction. Guess who is the last... :-) I believe this is because the press created too much hype about Ody and too many people expected more from it. The MPV is at very good position (almost on top).

I'm not sure if the HTML table will be shown OK but I'll try:

Van Year Overall Styling Perfor-
    mance
    Interior Quality Recom-
    menda-
    tion
    Votes
    Villager
    2000 9.3 9.3 9.0 9.1 9.3 9.5 22
    Avg 9.3 9.3 9.0 9.1 9.3 9.5 22
    Quest
    2000 9.0 9.0 8.7 8.8 9.0 9.1 43
    2001 9.6 9.6 9.6 9.5 9.9 9.6 19
    Avg 9.2 9.2 9.0 9.0 9.3 9.3 62
    Silhouette
    2000 8.9 8.9 8.7 8.7 9.0 8.9 25
    2001 8.8 9.2 8.5 8.8 8.6 8.9 14
    Avg 8.9 9.0 8.6 8.7 8.9 8.9 39
    MPV
    2000 8.6 9.2 7.7 8.9 9.2 8.5 66
    2001 8.9 9.0 8.0 9.2 9.2 9.0 23
    Avg 8.7 9.1 7.8 9.0 9.2 8.6 89
    T&C
    2000 8.3 9.0 8.3 8.6 8.2 8.0 57
    2001 8.8 9.0 8.8 8.7 8.9 8.8 66
    Avg 8.6 9.0 8.6 8.7 8.6 8.4 123
    Sienna
    2000 8.4 8.6 8.7 8.5 8.3 8.3 76
    2001 8.6 8.8 8.7 8.4 8.4 8.7 69
    Avg 8.5 8.7 8.7 8.5 8.3 8.5 145
    Caravan
    2000 8.1 8.6 8.2 8.1 8.0 7.9 118
    2001 8.7 9.2 8.5 8.4 8.5 8.7 47
    Avg 8.3 8.8 8.3 8.2 8.1 8.1 165
    Montana
    2000 8.2 8.6 8.4 8.3 7.7 8.0 42
    2001 8.8 8.8 8.6 8.6 9.0 9.0 10
    Avg 8.3 8.6 8.4 8.4 8.0 8.2 52
    Voyager
    2000 8.5 8.7 8.4 8.9 8.0 8.5 25
    2001 7.5 7.7 7.7 7.6 7.4 7.4 10
    Avg 8.2 8.4 8.2 8.5 7.8 8.2 35
    Venture
    2000 8.0 8.5 8.3 8.1 7.7 7.9 49
    2001 8.1 8.3 8.4 8.4 8.0 7.8 12
    Avg 8.0 8.5 8.3 8.2 7.8 7.9 61
    Windstar
    2000 7.5 8.4 7.4 7.6 7.2 7.3 90
    2001 7.2 7.9 7.4 7.7 6.4 6.9 31
    Avg 7.4 8.3 7.4 7.6
    Van Year Overall Styling Perfor-
    mance
    Interior Quality Recom-
    menda-
    tion
    Votes
    Villager
    2000 9.3 9.3 9.0 9.1 9.3 9.5 22
    Avg 9.3 9.3 9.0 9.1 9.3 9.5 22
    Quest
    2000 9.0 9.0 8.7 8.8 9.0 9.1 43
    2001 9.6 9.6 9.6 9.5 9.9 9.6 19
    Avg 9.2 9.2 9.0 9.0&l;td> 7.0 7.2 121
    Odyssey
    2000 7.6 7.8 8.0 7.4 7.5 7.6 133
    2001 6.7 7.2 7.3 6.5 6.7 6.4 145
    Avg 7.1 7.5 7.6 6.9 7.1 7.0 278
    I hope this worked well... Once again, MPV proved to be the best of the best for its value. Way to go everyone
  • sedsmomsedsmom Member Posts: 5
    Would you mind breaking down how you got such a great deal. I found a 2000 model available (in the color I prefer) and if I could get it for around that price then I wouldn't have to go to Canada! The price he has quoted me on that one is invoice (25K) minus the $1750. Thanks for your help.

By the way alexv1n that 31K does not include taxes and fees but does include freight charges. Thanks for your info on the price you paid.
  • osakaosaka Member Posts: 13
    Yes, someone who has the DVD navigation in Japan will be able to watch the DVD movies with in-dash system on the 6.5 inch monitor(screen) for MPV.
    But, it's a pity that I don't have it.
    Since the navigation system has been growing up and expanding day by day, I cannot help waiting to buy it.
    Recently, the CD-R navigation system just evolves to the DVD navigation system.
    The price of DVD for MPV is 238,000YEN.
    (Additional topic)
    Reading the information of some magazines ,the Toyota is to sell the new Hybrid AWD ESTIMA(next to toyota PREVIA) which has an electric motor for motive power drive around in Jun.01.
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    Hi All,

Last time when I enquired about the aftermarket RSES people suggested that the warranty will be void. So I called Mazda and they said, if the equipment intefeors with any of the vehocle systems, it will void the warranty. However they said my delaer would be the final person to decide this. So I called my delaer and asked for the price of mazda RSES and he told me it will cost $2500. I told him thats very high and told the price of the aftermarkets. He says, yes, go ahead and buy them and will not void your warranty. I confirmed again and they said they have got many customers who have aftermarket products. As long as it does not interfere with any mechanical parts, then it will not void any warranty. Now I am confused. Should I go ahead or not?

Thanks in advance.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    238,000 yen? Ouch...that's almost as bad as the dealer intalled RSES from above for $2500.

:)
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Don't you also get to play DVDs over the stereo, and it's built-in...and you get nav capabilities? I'd sign up!

--J
  • rjr425rjr425 Member Posts: 53
    Congratulations on your new baby! You love it now, huh? Just wait. Believe it or not, it grows on you. I've owned a lot of cars over the last 35 years--some dogs, and more than one or two I've really liked. But I've never had a car that does so many things as well as this one does. I'm gladly giving up a little low-end acceleration--and not all that much, even coming off a Cherokee--for the sheer pleasure in driving this van gives me. It looks like a keeper to me.

Happy miles!

RJ
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    Does anyone else find it unusual that the headlights stay on when the engine is off? One of the great things we liked about our '95 Subaru and my '94 Corolla is that the headlights turn off with the engine. Avoids those "Ooops, I left the lights on in the fog this morning and now after sitting in the parking lot all day my battery's dead" situations. Being basically a Japanese vehicle, I'd have thought the MPV would be the same. It's not critical, but something to get used to again.
    BTW, third tankful of gas: 22.6 mpg. I'm a happy guy!
  • nflder2nflder2 Member Posts: 1
    we are looking at all our options in mini-van purchase- the posts here seem pretty positive, but I'm curious about the "weedy engine" referred to in the main Pros/Cons section.
    Also, how is gas mileage?

thanks for your help
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    Yes, I find it strange that Mazda didn't rig the lights to automatically disable. On my Camry, the lights didn't go out when I cut the engine. They went out when I opened the driver's door after cutting the engine. That worked really good. It still puzzles me when I open my door and hear that buzzer going off. Oh well, I guess we can't have everything in this fun van. :)
  • jglover97jglover97 Member Posts: 4
    My gas mileage sucks! I have a 2000 ES and around town we are getting 16 miles to the gallon.(Nothern California) My 94 Grand Caravan got 20 city and 25 Freeway. Sending it to the shop next week to see whats up.
    We're all very happy that your are looking at the MPV, it's a great rig! I'm not alone in believing that it's the best minivan bang-for-the-buck out there right now. Problems for the van are few and far between (go over to the DC van or Odyssey problem forums) also.

It is very unfortunate that a perfectly great engine (the 2.5 Duratech) has been drug throught the mud because a number of car magazine editors want minivans to smoke tires like top fuel dragsters. The MPV forums are chock full of people raving about their vans, and hardly anyone is having issues with the amount of power it delivers.

We normally see 17.5-19mpg in town and 22-26 on the highway. We also have noticed that our mileage drops by 10-20% in the winter months for a number of practical reasons: snow tires, warming up the van, and MTBE in the fuel. There does seem to be a large variation in fuel mileages reported by members. It could just come down to the weight of a person's right foot. I swear mine's filled with lead, but I use the cruise alot too whenever I can, and am steady on the pedal...if that helps any.

Good luck on your search, and read back a few weeks/months (It'd take a long time to read all of the happy owner's posts :-))

--javadoc
  • tweet6583tweet6583 Member Posts: 6
    Just filled up my new 01 Sand Mica LX for the first time. Could not believe that I got 24 mpg around town. I had to check the odometer and the calculator three times and still can't beleive it. The MPV is now 10 days old and we are more thrilled with it every day. IMO I think the weedy engine comment is a lot of bull. Two questions 1. Have not got my new MPV car insurance bill, anyone care to comment on insurance cost for the MPV? 2. Any comment on the Yokahoma tires?
    Thanks,
    Tweet
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    We just purchased a 01 LX Sand Mica, don't you just love the color? Our LX has the Security Pkg (wanted side airbags and alloys), 4 seasons(OHIO), rear air and roof rack. We only have 175 miles on ours, too early to calulate MPG. We just love this van and couldn't be happier. We have had 2 Mazdas in the past and one of them had Yoko tires. They were OK, they are not my favorite tire, I put Michelans on my Protege, after the Yoko's wore out. Also, my Wife's 626(trade-in) had Dunlop's, which we felt was a terrible tire. Put Michelans on her 626 and it rode much better. Mazda seems to use Yokos and Dunlops on most of their cars, they are average tires, nothing to write home about:) I called our State Farm agent and our insurance went up only $80 a year for the MPV, not too bad.
    We're insured thru State Farm, and I've always thought our insurance was a bit high at $466/6months, with, multi-line discounts, clean records and no accidents. Your fuel mileage is awesome! I've always loved Yoho tires, but I've heard some grumblings about the ones on MPVs, to be honest.

rj, did I remember seeing you have a little one due soon?

--java
    is everyone washing their MPV's today? Washed up the new addition to the family today. A few neighbors came by to check it out. They had no idea what kind of van it was. They seemed impressed. One neighbor never saw the magic third row and couldn't believe his eyes:)
    P.S Sorry about the magic thrid row....... I believe that is the other company's TM. It should read.......Tumble Under seat, Mazda's TM
    Our State Farm rate for 6 months is only $305/100 deductible. We have all the same discounts and our home owner's thru State Farm. Maybe insurance is higher up in your neck of the woods.
  • tweet6583tweet6583 Member Posts: 6
    Thanks for the info, I'll let you know what my rates are once I receive them. pjd, where in OH? I am in Toledo and I very seldem see other MPV's here.

We really like the Sand Mica, I was leaning Classic Red, but my better half was demanding a new van ASAP (Civic was getting a little cramped for her and our two year old daughter) and no Classic Reds were on the lot.

We bought last week 3/28, I was on Carsdirect today and saw a $1,500 customer rebate being offer by Mazda thru 7/9??, Maybe we should have waited another week. Oh well, love the van!!!!
    we reside in Columbus. In the almost 2 years the new MPV has been out, I've only seen about a half-dozen or so on the road. When my Wife and I first saw the MPV, we knew it was right for us. Our dealer, Byer's Mazda(great dealership), had about 12 MPVs on their lot, no red. Sand Mica was my Wife's first choice, with Rainforest Green a distant second. They had the exact color and options on their lot, and didn't want to take a chance on losing it. We got a good deal, and was happy with their offer on our trade(I made them come up $400 more). I dealt directly with the Mgr, and was in and out in less than an hour. He knew me from being a previous customer and getting my Protege serviced. Last weekend they sold 5 MPVs. The auto show brought alot of customers out of the woodwork. I'm glad your family is happy, we are thrilled. This forum reinforced our decision to purchase the MPV.
    I called my ins. agent after seeing what you're paying...the story I was told: claim rates in AK are higher than OH, go figure, lol. Some crazy story about more accidents here in the winter so there are more claims per insured here. Ah well, I can thank all the silly SUV owners I see rolled or in the ditch when it snows. :) At least I'm paying half that for the Volvo, so it evens out imo.

--j
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    My rates were cut in half when I went Outside. I had good luck with Nationwide, Horace Mann and finally AIG in Anchorage, fwiw. (I try to shop price every couple of years).

And here's my obligatory link :-)

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    While the power in general is adequate for our purposes, does anyone have any hints for dealing with the lack of "oomph" when the engine is cold? Other than letting it warm up for a few minutes? Sometimes it seems to have a hard time getting out of its own way when the engine's cold. Thanks.
  • noles2000noles2000 Member Posts: 7
    Hey tweet, great news about your insurance. I got rid of my 98 Corrolla and my insurance actually went DOWN $90 for the year. I couldn't believe it. I guess it's because of the security system but can't be sure. I too was really happy about the insurance.

I live in NJ - Home of the highest insurance rates in the country. I have my insurance through Liberty Mutual (FYI - State Farm will not even write new policies here in NJ - I have a friend who is a Farm agent). I pay $1700 for a 99 Camary and the new 01 MPV. Liberty Mutal is a minimum of $300 cheaper than anywhere else I looked. Check them out if they are in your state. Even my friend from the Farm says they are great for auto insurance (except for trying to get in touch with someone when you get into an accident). Oh well, a chance I'm willing to take.
  • rotarykidrotarykid Member Posts: 191
    some new mazdas have the technology to shut off any power systems(such as the headlights) after it sits for a while. At least this is true on the newer trucks. If you leave your door open thus leaving the dome light on, the computer will shut the lights off by itself after a while(before the battery dies).
    Ahhhh, freedom from MTBE in the petrol...finally, and removal of high-drag snow tires...first tank and we're back up to 20.5mpg, with a 50 mile freeway trip and the rest urban-route driving.

BTW, found Hertz rental car rents MPVs at John Wayne (Orange County Airport) for about $300/wk, if any tire-kickers were thinking of trying an MPV out before buying, that wouldn't be a bad way to do it. You can, um, drive it like you would a rental (heheheh), try out all of the handy gadgets in the "real world," let your kids drop icecream on the seats, and then turn it back in!

--javadoc
    You might have temporarily slipped a cog or two in the old mental machine. :-) I think you're confusing pjd58 and me. At nearly 58 I damn well better not be expecting a little one any time--soon or otherwise. The only new addition to my family is The President McKinley, and while he might be my baby, I doubt that's what you had in mind.

RJ
    No new one's coming to my homestead, at least my Wife hasn't told me anything, lol. Our only new addition is the LX in the garage.
    Rj- Maybe all that caffeine Java is consuming is short circuiting the brain:) Rj you can still have kid's at 58, not that you would want any...:0)
    With all the coffee that Java drinks [and we only know what he admits to! How much is he drinking that he ISN'T telling us about?], the amazing thing is that he still has a brain that CAN shortcircuit.

". . . not that you would want any." My point exactly. The 100+ kids I see every day in my classroom are more than enough for a man of my advanced years.

RJ
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    Anyone know what the difference between the MY 2000 170hp engine and the MY2001 160hp
    engine is? Am I correct in assuming it is just the chip? Seems this would be the easiest 10 hp
    to gain. Looks like the MPV Performance Enhancement thread is archived, that's why I am posting here. Thanks.
    Well, you know, rj, pj, potato, potahto...

my bad, sorry...got my whatchamacallitz crossed w/my thingamobobz.

:-)

--javadoc
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I put that post throught the "soon to be famous" Edmunds Check Spelling machine.

Nothing crazy or noteworthy came out :(

TB
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    The difference in hp is caused by the NLEV option which is a requirement in California. I believe all the 2001's are now coming with the NLEV. The NLEV is the new emissions standard. I do not know if anyone has been successful in changing the chip to increase the HP. I know the buick V6's could do that. Maybe TB has a viewpoint on this.
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    In preparation for the first big trip in our new MPV, (Purchased new Nov 2000 now has 7989 miles), I decided to do some maintenance. Change oil and filter (second time/every 4000 miles), rotate tires and wash and wax it (First wax job). Couple of questions comes to mind. As I was rotating the tires, one tire that I thought had a slow leak I Inspected and found what appeared to be a small nail head. I yanked it out and instead of a nail, it was the bottom half of a screw and instead of a slow leak, I had a full-blown leak. Question #1. What is better a patch or a Plug and why? Question #2 Putting on the spare was rather easy and intuitive. But in the pouch with the tire iron and the tool to lower the spare is another pocket that had a rectangular hinged do-dad. It looks like a locking buckle for a belt. Does anyone know what this is used for? Drew, javadoc, Tboner, maltb, everybody else, HELP. Question #3 it may not amount to much, but I was thinking of taking the crossmembers off the roof rack to improve the wind resistant and mileage. I fiddled with it for a little while but got involved with getting the kids in for their bath and into bed and haven't got back to it yet. So does anyone know how to get them off, will it make any difference and If not is it better to have them staggered way apart or together toward the front or back of the van? The trip will be from Pittsburgh PA to Orlando Fla. to see Mickey and friends (especially Buzz and Woody). It will be me and Strifey (I mean Wifey) and 12, 11, 8 and 5 year old. Space wise, It fits us better than the short wheel base 96 Voyager we unloaded and the performance is better than the 2.4 liter the Voyager had. Also, now that the weather is getting nice, we LOVE the roll down windows in the second row. Hope to hear from you guys. Thanks!!!
  • lfoersterlfoerster Member Posts: 9
    To SedsMom:

Sorry about the delay in responding; I haven't been faithful about checking this site for messages!

I suspect we received such a great deal for two reasons:

Metro Mazda (Ferndale Michigan) had 2000's on the lot and wanted to move them ASAP. That's the first reason. I strongly suspect the second reason we received such a great deal was I started talking to the internet manager on a Thursday, she was fired the next day. She had already quoted me a price, we called her back, verified the numbers with her, and agreed to purchase the 2000 MPV ES at the price she quoted, $20,545. Knowing that she was fired, one wonders if she knew the end was coming, and was out to "hurt" her employer as much as possible prior to the ax falling.

My husband lopped another $200 off the purchase price as he and the manager disagreed on the cost savings with financing at 7.61% and 7.25%. Like I said, the buying experience left a lot to be desired.

Anyway, the particulars:

Metro Mazda
    21425 Woodward Ave.
    Ferndale, MI 48220
    (248)548-0444
    (248) 399-1850 (Fax)

I suggest dealing straight with the manager, Barry.

Good Luck!

Laura
    Definitely Patch! Don't let anyone get near belted radials with a plug.

That dohickey is a folding wheel chock. That is the first time I have seen one in a stock tool kit, but this MPV is full of nice surprises(a dirty tire bag too!). I used to think the Germans were nice for giving reversible screwdrivers, but the Japanese seemed to have found a place for all their inventions(some useless).

I do not...I repeat...I do not have a...wait, I need to pour another cup...have an addiction to caffiene. Now, give me that (non-fat) vanilla creamer and nobody gets hurt!!!!!

:-P

--MPV Content: Install a Clutter Catcher and you have six cup holders for the coffee on your commute, just w/in reach...
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    Thanks for the response. I have heard a plug is as good as a patch if done right. Problem is how do you know if it is done right? Doesn't matter though, I am getting a patch for $12, Which includes a spin balance. Also, thanks for setting me straight on the wheel chock. I guess I can put the brick I've been using back in the flower bed as part of the edge treatment. That only leaves the roof rack aerodynamics left to answer. The other great thing about this MPV is the other owners on this board. Regards Mark
    My one complaint about the wheel chock is that I prefer to use two. Why is there only one?

As far as the roof rack rack goes, I don't have one so I can't help.

LOL

The glue causes the plug to vulcanize to the tire. It's the reaming of the hole that concerns me as well as the few plugs that I have seen pop out. So much for vulcanizing.

• whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    On 1st, back off at ~2500rpm, this should induce upshift to 2nd. While on 2nd, between 2500-3000rpm (haven't able to pinpoint the min point, but it will definitely upshift at just below 3000rpm), back off accelerator, this should upshift to 3rd. You will be OK when it is on 3rd, just take it easy during the first 2mins of driving, or let it warms up and wastes gas before driving. It is the forever climb to 3000rpm+? upshift from 2nd to 3rd on a cold (below freezing temp) engine that makes me uncomfortable.
    Hahahaha, I won't even touch your response...I didn't know flat tire repair needed a content warning for the kiddies, roflmao.

--javadoc
    Easy now Doc, the MPV is a family vehicle. Interpretations like yours belong to the Corvette forum.

aren't as lively and fun loving as this bunch of people we have right here. :-) Besides, A vet doesn't have seating for seven.
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    After driving and drivetrain warmed up, put in P or N, shutoff the engine, wait a few seconds (say 5s), restart the engine. Now drive forward, within 2-3 seconds, there is brief mechanical sensation on the gas pedal together with a noise. Anyone notice or know what this is?

It doesn't showup when drivetrain is cold! It looks like some kind of interlock, but then why only when drivetrain is warm.

As cars get more complicate and computerize, it would be nice for car manufacturers to indicate what is normal behavior on the owner manual.
    Don't worry; you're not drinking too much coffee until you notice that the letters in words begin to become jmbuedl and you begin to see multiple images images.

Rj Rj
    I I I see see see what what what you you you mean mean mean uobta teh munjelde rltetes and multi multi multipleple imaimaimaimages.

javavavavavavadoc
    :>)))

RJ
    a interesting problem occuring on one of the competitor's vans. For some strange reason, unknown to the manufacturer, the fuel tank makes a thumping noise. It's probably the float, my guess. Many people stated they have the same problem, and company H (wink, wink), said they can't fix it and it's no big deal. I wouldn't be happy waiting 3+ months for my van, paying MRSP, and a color that has no soul and have a thumping coming from my rear end :):):) One owner said " Just turn up the stereo and forget about it". ZOOM ZOOM:):):):):):)

Java- I don't drink coffee. Too many soft drinks, sugar and caffiene.

Rjr- If strange noises come out of your van, I understand why. I can smell your van from Ohio, no sorry thats Cleveland I smell :).
    tell the owners..."It's designed that way as a safety feature." Friends of ours keep hearing that with their minivan.

Laughing all the way to the bank with the money I saved...

Saw my first BLUE MPV yesterday, well, besides the pix of Tboner's that I've seen here. It looks very nice...lots of soul baby.

--Javadoc
    It may not be Cleveland.
    Saturday night, I had four extra passengers --correction: I STARTED OUT with four extra passengers. Then The Prez started being indiscreet at stoplights and things [ and since we were in downtown Pittsburgh, there were lots of stoplights and things]. Interesting fact: Sand Mica clashes something fierce with shades of green as seen on passengers' faces. But did I care? Not in the least--I was springing for dinner that night. Cheapest night out I've ever had.

heh heh.
    RJ

PS. Daddioof4-- What part of the 'Burgh are you from? I'm in South Park.