Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• cutter44cutter44 Posts: 42
    bob57 wrote:
    The trouble was it took us (three engineers) 20 minutes to find that little flap in the carpet to crank down the spare.
    I'm laughing because when I took my son out to have him help me with a "practice" session, I must have searched for ten minutes before I noticed that little flap!
  • Yes, maybe you would have changed the flat yourself, but let me ask you....

Are you a Blonde mom?

:)
    Touché!
    Nay, but I'm a "used-to-be-blonde-once" dad. (now silver)
  • drew_drew_ Posts: 3,382
    I see that you've already had your tire patched. Regarding the "don't plug your puncture" advice, have a look at the following links:

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_puncture.html

http://www.4x4abc.com/ML320/ml320_puncture1.html

Looks like you can use it, but only to get to the tire shop.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards

• abbanatabbanat Posts: 57
    Thanks for the link!
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    Blondmom1,

I've purchased two complete sets of wheels and tires from www.tirerack.com in the past 36 months. They just put a round bit o'cardboard over each wheel, band it up, and slap a UPS sticker on it.

The first purchase was a set of Borbet Wheels with Yokohama tires for the Contour back in 1998. Then just recently, I got a set of used Cadillac Deville wheels ($67.50 ea) with the Dunlop SP5000's ($104 ea) for my daily beater Buick LeSabre. The whole bundle came shipped to my house for $730, I just bolted them on.

I almost bought some winter wheels and tires for the MPV, but after the first snow we had in downstate IL convinced me that it was not necessary. I'm running out of room with two sets of wheels and tires for all of the BonerFamily rolling stock :)

OBTW, I just did my taxes, IL is still not getting any state income tax from me. Which is fine, I just figure it would be sucked up to Cook county anyway. I like this work in MO and live in IL deal. I figure my state income tax paid in MO has a better chance of coming back to the STL area, than the same money would have a chance coming back to downstate IL.

Just thought you might get a chuckle out of that as you are in or near Cook county.

Cheers,

TB
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Posts: 196
    TB again has the correct answer. You can ship a lawn tractor with UPS, why not tires! I suppose there are several different carriers.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    You can see it's not really cheap, but the no sales tax and the professional services of tirerack make it a pretty good deal.

The wheels and tires were $686.00, so shipping was $44, but then 7% sales tax would have been about $46.

Whoo hoo! I saved $2. I can blow it on a cup of coffee.

TB
  • jfc942jfc942 Posts: 1
    My 2000 MPG LX with 3600 miles has been pulling to the left since I bought it. I brought it to an alignment shop and they told me the camber on the left side is -1.5', the right sideis -1.2'. The factory spec is .5' +/-1.0'. The technician told me the positive camber adjustment is already at its max. Is there a problem with the front end that you know about, do I have any recourse from the dealer? The technician told me the only thing he could do is extend the top bolt on the strut to reduce the - camber. Is there a recall, am I the only person experiencing this? Any help would be appreciated.

jfc942@yahoo.com
    TB, Your right we lost almost a days worth of messages!! Including my Dr Demento post!!! How RUDE!!!
  • alexv1nalexv1n Posts: 248
    You are late, man. I have posted that info quite a bit ago. See my post #1353 in this forum. I compiled data for several model years of the same design across most minivans with weighed data for years as per the number of user ratings... Here is the direct link (not sure if it will work though). post #1353.
  • steverstever YooperlandPosts: 40,124
    While working to fix the some problems the database was corrupted. Unfortunately we were only able to recover data up to this morning - meaning that all posts (especially the brilliant Dr. D one) made to Town Hall since early today are missing.

Several people are pulling an all-nighter--we'll find out in the morning whether they were successful in recovering the missing messages. Apologies.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

Let me save your people the time looking for the DR D one! I had just stated that I have started listening to DR Demento in DA MPV. If you see me in stitches on the road, please don't think I am laughing at the ODY in front of me (or along side the road) I'm just listening to Dr Demento's "Shaving Cream" or maybe "Dead puppies".
    Actually rumor has it that some lost messages are trickling back on-line. You da bomb :-)

Steve
    Host

Need help navigating? stever@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.

• blacklxblacklx Posts: 60
    Add me to the list of people who just have to wave at other smart people. I saw the 1st 2000+ MPV on the road today. I waved at them as they were stopped at the light when I drove through the intersection. I noticed them and I saw that they were looking at me. Anyone have a red MPV and in Salem, Oregon today?

Later I saw another black one. They were getting out as I was getting back in mine and asked the owner how she liked it. She said she liked it but likes to drive fast and wants a car that drives faster. She did have 2 young kids with her.

With all these sightings today I don't feel so special anymore...
  • waltb2waltb2 Posts: 9
    I just started driving around town with the OD off and love the performance change! The one, small, slight irritation for me was the shifting of the tranny and the "non-existent" 2nd gear. Now I get to enjoy 2nd without jumping immediately to 3rd. Hmmmm. Reminds me of high school.

Anyway, driving this peppy thing around makes me wonder why they aren't showing this to people on test drives to alleviate the underpower stigma.

Also, curious to check gas mileage running around at the higher RPMs.
  • sportmomsportmom Posts: 13
    ...In my local newspaper this morning, a dealer has a NEW 2000 MPV (161miles) XL, white, rack, 3 in one...$17,995...salesman said they need this sold and you can get a better price on it. If interested call 785-267-2800...the daeler is in Kansas.
    I think this ia a great price if anyone can use it...
  • kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Posts: 11
    Re: RPM's

I am not an expert in this at all, but last week I drove a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 ext cab pickup for about 1200 miles. (very,very nice truck btw) I noticed that going down the A.C. expressway at 75mph (cruise engaged) the tach was at 2,000rpm. Today, driving my 2000 MPV, same road, criuse engaged,75mph----3,100rpm. Doesn't that seem that because my engine is working harder thus it won't last as long. The Silverado had a 4.8 V-8.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    This might be interesting...there's a 2001 MPV being auctioned on ebay, out of Portland, OR...

HERE

Looks like an LX with Touring, etc.

--javadoc

• blacklxblacklx Posts: 60
    It will be interesting to see how the auction goes.

FYI I talked to that dealer but they are 2.5 hours away and we found a van closer to home.

They seemed very nice and one person here did buy from them and had a good experience. My Dad bought a vehicle there a few years ago and has no complaints.

Hope that everyone enjoyed Easter, or if you don't celebrate Easter, enjoyed your Sunday.
    I am considering installing a NAV system in the MPV (Most probably Alpine with DVD or Pioneer). Anyone tried to install a NAV system in their MPV? How was that done? Just curious...
  • seguyseguy Posts: 133
    Sportsmom, where in Kansas was this ad for the 2000 lx, might give them a call.

thanks
  • Just an update. . .

What is it with these MPV's? I took delivery (no pun intended!) two weeks ago, and discovered I'm pregnant yesterday!

Some thoughts:

1. Conspiracy by Mazda! Something in the ventilation system that increases fertility! What a way to increase sales!
    2. Think we should start a Mazda Babies club?
    3. Seek defrayment of college costs from Mazda?

Good luck to my fellow to be Mazda parents & babes!
    LFoerster
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Congrats lfoerster!

I think it's the lack of worry and reduced stress induced by the MPV driving pleasure!

Probably just the reclining seats... ;-)
  • maltbmaltb Posts: 3,572
    Cutter! I thought mine sounded a bit more glamorous...

The problem is that most of the reviews are for previous model years of MPV (1990-1997). Handful of opinions about 2000-2001 MPV have rating 4-5. I guess that had to separate the two model lines into different entries... Seems unfair to me in the current state.
    hmmm, let's not go there :-). So how's the van driving?

(almost missed the title box being back).

Steve
    Host

• javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    That's it, Dangitall. I'm selling MochaVan (on ebay...low reserve, of course)!

If Mazda can't put out a Service Bulletin about this rampant pregnancy issue (some would say a manufacturer's defect), then I'm offing the MPV and getting an Ody. Lord knows nothing in *that* van will be exciting enough to cause that to happen!

Of course, heartfelt congrats to lfoerster! I think it's the magic hide-away seat, lol.

--javadoc