Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    You are late, man. I have posted that info quite a bit ago. See my post #1353 in this forum. I compiled data for several model years of the same design across most minivans with weighed data for years as per the number of user ratings... Here is the direct link (not sure if it will work though). post #1353.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    While working to fix the some problems the database was corrupted. Unfortunately we were only able to recover data up to this morning - meaning that all posts (especially the brilliant Dr. D one) made to Town Hall since early today are missing.

Several people are pulling an all-nighter--we'll find out in the morning whether they were successful in recovering the missing messages. Apologies.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Let me save your people the time looking for the DR D one! I had just stated that I have started listening to DR Demento in DA MPV. If you see me in stitches on the road, please don't think I am laughing at the ODY in front of me (or along side the road) I'm just listening to Dr Demento's "Shaving Cream" or maybe "Dead puppies".
    Actually rumor has it that some lost messages are trickling back on-line. You da bomb :-)

Steve
    Host
  • blacklxblacklx Member Posts: 60
    Add me to the list of people who just have to wave at other smart people. I saw the 1st 2000+ MPV on the road today. I waved at them as they were stopped at the light when I drove through the intersection. I noticed them and I saw that they were looking at me. Anyone have a red MPV and in Salem, Oregon today?

Later I saw another black one. They were getting out as I was getting back in mine and asked the owner how she liked it. She said she liked it but likes to drive fast and wants a car that drives faster. She did have 2 young kids with her.

With all these sightings today I don't feel so special anymore...
  • waltb2waltb2 Member Posts: 9
    I just started driving around town with the OD off and love the performance change! The one, small, slight irritation for me was the shifting of the tranny and the "non-existent" 2nd gear. Now I get to enjoy 2nd without jumping immediately to 3rd. Hmmmm. Reminds me of high school.

Anyway, driving this peppy thing around makes me wonder why they aren't showing this to people on test drives to alleviate the underpower stigma.

Also, curious to check gas mileage running around at the higher RPMs.
  • sportmomsportmom Member Posts: 13
    ...In my local newspaper this morning, a dealer has a NEW 2000 MPV (161miles) XL, white, rack, 3 in one...$17,995...salesman said they need this sold and you can get a better price on it. If interested call 785-267-2800...the daeler is in Kansas.
    I think this ia a great price if anyone can use it...
  • kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Member Posts: 11
    Re: RPM's

I am not an expert in this at all, but last week I drove a 2001 Chevy Silverado 4x4 ext cab pickup for about 1200 miles. (very,very nice truck btw) I noticed that going down the A.C. expressway at 75mph (cruise engaged) the tach was at 2,000rpm. Today, driving my 2000 MPV, same road, criuse engaged,75mph----3,100rpm. Doesn't that seem that because my engine is working harder thus it won't last as long. The Silverado had a 4.8 V-8.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    This might be interesting...there's a 2001 MPV being auctioned on ebay, out of Portland, OR...

HERE

Looks like an LX with Touring, etc.

--javadoc

It will be interesting to see how the auction goes.

FYI I talked to that dealer but they are 2.5 hours away and we found a van closer to home.

They seemed very nice and one person here did buy from them and had a good experience. My Dad bought a vehicle there a few years ago and has no complaints.

Hope that everyone enjoyed Easter, or if you don't celebrate Easter, enjoyed your Sunday.
    I am considering installing a NAV system in the MPV (Most probably Alpine with DVD or Pioneer). Anyone tried to install a NAV system in their MPV? How was that done? Just curious...
  • seguyseguy Member Posts: 133
    Sportsmom, where in Kansas was this ad for the 2000 lx, might give them a call.

thanks
  • lfoersterlfoerster Member Posts: 9
    Just an update. . .

What is it with these MPV's? I took delivery (no pun intended!) two weeks ago, and discovered I'm pregnant yesterday!

Some thoughts:

1. Conspiracy by Mazda! Something in the ventilation system that increases fertility! What a way to increase sales!
    2. Think we should start a Mazda Babies club?
    3. Seek defrayment of college costs from Mazda?

Good luck to my fellow to be Mazda parents & babes!
    LFoerster
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Congrats lfoerster!

I think it's the lack of worry and reduced stress induced by the MPV driving pleasure!

:)
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    Probably just the reclining seats... ;-)
    Cutter! I thought mine sounded a bit more glamorous...

The problem is that most of the reviews are for previous model years of MPV (1990-1997). Handful of opinions about 2000-2001 MPV have rating 4-5. I guess that had to separate the two model lines into different entries... Seems unfair to me in the current state.
    hmmm, let's not go there :-). So how's the van driving?

(almost missed the title box being back).

Steve
    Host
    That's it, Dangitall. I'm selling MochaVan (on ebay...low reserve, of course)!

If Mazda can't put out a Service Bulletin about this rampant pregnancy issue (some would say a manufacturer's defect), then I'm offing the MPV and getting an Ody. Lord knows nothing in *that* van will be exciting enough to cause that to happen!

Of course, heartfelt congrats to lfoerster! I think it's the magic hide-away seat, lol.

--javadoc
    Wow, what a nice MPV. Loaded with GFX and all the toys minus the video. Too bad that didn't show up a year ago, I would be bidding. Is this the Mocha Van?????
    Heheheheh.. No, MochaVan's an LX with most (not all) of the toys...I'm waiting to see if a recall comes out on this pregnancy thing. If not, maybe we'll just park MochaVan until we're ready for java-runt #3. LOL

Is this the one you saw on ebay?

There's a number of MPVs on ebay, how strange. I haven't looked closely enough to see if they're from the same dealership. If so, neat marketing idea, IMHO.

--java
  • bostonoriolebostonoriole Member Posts: 53
    Can anyone tell me how the safety of the MPV compares to the Honda Odyssey, Dodge Caravan, and Subaru Legacy. My wife won't budge on the MPV unless I can show her good safety records.

What can buy I buy a MPV for in Boston? Can I get invoice price?
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    a MAZDA MPV commerical. The typical zoom zoom format, with kids riding on a radio flyer and sit and spin. Boy, the MPV looks good on TV, but looks much better in my driveway:) I like the MPV being unique, I can go weeks without seeing another on the road. The word is getting out.
    check out the link HERE to see the real crash test results of the cars you're comparing. You'll see that the MPV does well, although, honestly, there are some safer cars out there.

Also, these boards are a great source of owner opinions, so browse to your heart's content.

--javadoc

the MPV has a rating of 4 stars on frontal crash for the front passengers and 5 stars on side impact for front and rear passengers. You can check this on www. NHTSA.com The side is rated without the side airbag. We purchased a LX with the Safety Pkg. with side airbags, I recommend them. Also, the DX doesn't have Anti-lock brakes, need the Lx or ES for this option. The ODY & Sienna has 5 stars all around. I don't believe the results for the 2001 Caravan are available yet. Good luck on you purchase decision.
    This is the link to the comparo of the MPV and the DC van... HERE

You won't be liking the DC van in the comparo...

--javadoc

• dixonl2dixonl2 Member Posts: 1
    You folks are as insane as the Passat owners I hang with on vwvortex... this is great!

OK, the MPV is very cool. Have to find the right price - what did you all pay? Looking for an LX/16"/rack/roof/4seas, or an ES/rack/4seas. Any dealers going below invoice? (like yeah I'll be THAT lucky...)

We're going to get out of a wonderful, served-like-a-trooper (not Isuzu) Nissan Quest. We're just tired of it after 8 years and 143k, but having trouble justifying a new one when this one's, well, still good!
    This MPV Club is great, but I can't say as much for the search engine here. I remembered an older message or two I had bookmarked (and since lost) that mentioned a couple of web sites with Mazda parts and accessories, as I was debating buying a case of Mazda oil filters to have on hand. I just tried a search using "parts", and "aftermarket", and the only results are the entire "Accessories" board, which I did look through. I then went so far as to do a search for "oil" (because I know there have been several discussions about oil filters) and I got "0" results. Am I doing something wrong?
    glad to hear your considering the MPV. I just purchased a 01 LX, Sand Mica, with Safety pkg, 4 seasons, rear air, and roof rack for 22,500, which was about $750 below invoice. I could have done a few hundred better , but they gave me a great Trade-in price. I might be wrong, I believe you can't get 16" wheels on the LX, you would have to go with the ES. Good luck!
    Thanks for the picture of the white ES on eBay. The Mpv looks sharp in white. If the Mocha Van was white you would never find it in your part of the country:)
  • jktaxjktax Member Posts: 7
    picked up my silver EX on Feb 15 and with my busy season finally over got a chance to get behind the wheel. Wife, two kids, (third due May 7th) trading up from a Subaru Legacy Wagon (4 cylinder), so while the pick up might be slow, it was no different than what i am used to. cruising at 60 - 70 was fine (no shimmy or shakes). Only complaint was location of the horn. In New York, other than the air conditioner, the horn is the most useful item in the whole car. I do need the owners manual, however, to figure out the cd/radio/cassette controls. Where is the balance and fade buttons??? BTW - when we first started shopping wife was keen on the ODY (keeping up with the jones factor) however, leather and RSES made her happy and she has commented that many more MPVs are on the road the past few months.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I think there is a button marked Audio on the RHS of the unit. (Trying from memory here, so bear with me.) I have the 6 disc changer, so yours might be different.

If you push that, the display indicates what the "Big Knob" is currently controlling. When you are done playing with all the faders and balancers, and toners, it reverts to audio gain (ok, volume)

HTH

TB
    Yup Java thats the one. If it wasn't for the fact that our previous two cars were white, that puppy would be sitting in the driveway right now. The wifey wanted a different color you know. I being the ultraconservative army guy that I am would have been happy with the white. So the next best thing is teal which actually looks Army green. Thats ok tooo, it goes well with the Tactical vehicles at work. I do like the GFX package, but I doubt it has much of a function.
    Yes, they do mix together pretty well. I have '00 LX with 16" alloy wheels which is an option (part of Canadian sports package along with leather-wrapped steering wheel and 6CD changer). In fact, you can have almost everything on LX that you can have on ES except for leather seats, and large lighted vanity mirrors (which shouldn't be a big problem, right?). Some people around here even get moonroof with their LX (which I didn't know was possible at the time I was buying mine).
    The search engine has been undergoing a rewrite for a few months now :-). One of these days....

Steve
    Host
    Nope, mochavan's emerald mica. Geniuses pick green (wife picked the color, lol), don't ya know. I've never had a white vehicle...too easy to be invisble to the other dolts on the roads in the winter here. Of course, having a green ride prolly makes people think it's a tree, right? Hahaha

regarding the ebay MPVs, HERE 's one that's a silver LX, pretty loaded, even has RSES I think. Bid's at $14K, but the reserve's not met.

I think there's only two out there right now.

--java

• tootall7tootall7 Member Posts: 2
    Hello everyone. I've read the last 1,200 (or so) messages and am considering a new MAZDA van. I'll attempt to trade my Toyota Sienna (lots of miles) or sell it myself. Here are my concerns. Recent trips to Florida through the West Virginia mountains have shown me that I really like a van, especially the Toyota. However, the price of a new one is out of the question. (I bought mine well used) Test drove a MAZDA the other day and was impressed. I hate the manual seat controls (the Toyota is electric) and I'm not sure I set the seat up correctly for my size. I was in there a bit tight. I'll probably take another test drive and work those seat controls a little more. Are there any of you out there who are around 6'5" who have been driving a MAZDA van and can assure me that I will be comfortable?? I'll be returning to those mountains a lot of times and I'm concerned about my comfort and (of course) the 160 horsepower. Thanks for any help.
    Steve,
    Thanks for the acknowledgment. It's nice to know it wasn't me just not being able to figure it out.
  • whisper1whisper1 Member Posts: 50
    The two seat control knobs are useless (for me anyway), I just set the height to the tallest, and the lumbar to the flatness. Any positions other than these forced an unnatural driving position.

My final decision was between MPV LX and a similiar equipped Sienna CE with additional options, the price different was a whopping >= $3500 and the MPV still has a few extras that are not available in Sienna.

The Sienna doesn't have heater outlet for the 3rd row, the overhead outlets are for aircond only.

Power is not a problem when engine has warmed up. Consider this if you need to be on a boulevard or freeway within 5 minutes of driving in freezing temperature. Mazda should reprogram the upshift point on a cold engine.

Sienna has slight better mileage which is heavier and a 0.5L larger and wonderful engine.
  • sedsmomsedsmom Member Posts: 5
    Does anyone have the RSES and a moonroof? If so does it work alright?

Also, is RSES available in Canada?

Thanks!
  • blondemom1blondemom1 Member Posts: 90
    I don't have the RSES, but the last time I was in the dealership, they had a van in the showroom that had both the moonroof and the RSES. They just had to install the system a few inches further back than usual. I got in to see if it would still work for the second row, and it seemed fine.
    Someone mentioned here before as if RSES is not available in Canada. However I saw an MPV with RSES in a showroom of my dealer when I was doing an oil change the other day. Probably it was an "aftermarket one", but it is certainly possible to get it in.
  • tootall7tootall7 Member Posts: 2
    Thank you whisper1. I guess I'll fit in just fine.
  • mufastamufasta Member Posts: 7
    Has any of you tried to haul a double stroller (length wise) in the back of a MPV? The MPV is holding a few point lead over the Sienna for me and this would just widen the gap if it could.

Also, a friend of a friend changed the exhaust and put in performance plugs and wires on his MPV and he says performance jumped dramtically. Up there with the Toyota and just below the Honda. Seems like a lot of work to me, but I wanted to know if any of you has tried these little mods. Personally, I felt the MPV has more than enough power. I own a '92 Previa and the knock on it was lack of power, which after 200k+ miles I have never thought of as an issue.
    Can't say I've really thought of an exhaust change. I'd imagine you'd net a few hp, but nothing drastic. I do see an Ody just about every day that has one of those "coffee can" mufflers on it. Not really sure that it's any faster, but the owner sure thinks it makes his Ody "Phatter."

I know Tboner's around here somewhere. I think he's pretty up with anything you can do to the 2.5 Duratech to milk power out of it. Like you, I don't see the need to try and find a few ponies. I'll just patiently wait for an AWD 3.0Liter beauty to be launched in the U.S. or Canada. :)

--javadoc
    stroler fits perfectly down in the "pit," as I call it. Buy it!

• tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    ...yeah I was lurking here.

There is a supercharger for the Contour/Mystique/Cougar. And since the MPV shares an engine with those, perhaps it can be adapted to your 2.5L MPV. Probably 5-6K to have it done.

The duratec is tuned pretty well for power. The dual intake runner system provides good power at both low and high RPM's.

Plugs and wires will probably not do much, unless your current hardware is worn.

An open element air filter and a more open exhaust will improve peak HP and torque, but...

...it may actually reduce low end torque. Since it is the lack of torque at the low end that make the MPV unpleasing to most 'mericans, I'd shy away from that.

My 87 Buick LeSabre has lots of low end grunt (215 lb/ft of torque, but only 150 peak HP) so it gets off the line quickly, but gets winded at 4000+ RPMs. While the MPV is just getting wound up at 4000 RPMs and reaches its peak near 6000-6250.

So, intake and exhaust mods are probably what most can do, and you may suffer some performance loss.

Take a look at the CEG (www.contour.org) and look at the performance forums. One of the most restrictive parts of the exhaust system is the Y-pipe where the front and rear cylinder banks come together in the exhaust system. I've not looked too closely at the MPV, but the Contour has two 2" diameter pipes that are basically bent into a D shape at the end to be forced together into one pipe. (A long round tube is bent at the end and mates with another tube and jammed into a slightly larger round tube going eventually to the tail pipe.)

The SHOshop sells a Y-pipe not as badly bent with a high flow cat converter. Rumor is you can get an "offroad" version as well with a straight pipe instead of the cat.

There are two precats as well. Both exhaust manifolds have them built in. There are ways to break these up in the manifolds so they don't act as a restriction in the exhaust system. This unfortunately will trip your CEL since there are O2 sensor strategically placed upstream and downstream of these pre-cats.

There are O2 sensor foolers that can get around this, by generating a signal based on what the upstream sensor is doing to make it appear to the computer that the pre-cats are still there.

Basically, it comes down to the old adage, speed costs money, how fast do you want to go?

TB
    I have a Baby Trend double stroller and it fits great. (I'm assuming you intend on folding it. You could fold down the 3rd seat and probably not even have to fold the stroller. I haven't tried that. It does take up most of the well but there is room around it.

When I go to the store, I just put things on the floor between the seats. I can pack a few things around the stroller though. I usually just don't bother with it.

I say go for the MPV.
  • tonymacmudtonymacmud Member Posts: 2
    Notice van is noisy when windy outside, quieter when no wind.
    Am also concerned about high RPM's at cruising speed (1000 higher than my '91 Grand Caravan).
    Have ordered a rad bug screen/winter front combo from Burnaby, B.C. sight unseen. Will let you know if I keep it, like it etc.