Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    I have to chime in and agree with everyone else that has responded...the dealer is salivating at the thought of getting rid of that thing...stay away! My 95 has 150,000 miles on it and the last thing I worry about going out is the engine. You can find a better deal pretty easy.
      I understand your situation too. I am a college student who used to drive a 1986 Delta 88...I loved the car, but it was time to let go when I hit 300,000 and some 15 year old with her learner's permit hit me. I just got tired of having to crawl in the passenger side 'cause the driver's door wouldn't open. Talk about not picking up chicks!
      But seriously, Kayaman is right about the "lemon or gem". He and I both have '95s and share many of the same issues, and so does everyone on the board...but never a crankshaft. Good luck on the search, work hard and you will be rewarded with one of the best cars around.
  • uniguy82uniguy82 Member Posts: 2
    Thanks for your advice everyone. It is a non-issue now because the car has already been sold to a wholesaler, but I wouldn't have bought it anyway after I heard what you all had to say. I know I should probably stick with what I have, but I really want a nicer car. I see everyone else my age driving relatively new cars and here I am stuck with a 15 year old car. It is hard to have champagne tastes on a beer budget!
  • bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    Hi all,

Wanted to answer and comment on posts so far.

*Ontonagon* - It is excellent that you are interested in purchasing a 2003 Aurora. There is no dealer cash incentive available right now that I know of for the Aurora. However, you should be able to negotiate a very good deal on the remaining ones on Olds dealers' lots. I would advise you to use the Oldsmobile website's 'Locate Dealer' pulldown from the 'SHOP & BUY' link at the top of the page. Search all over your part of the country for Olds dealers using major city and state combinations in the area. You will have to look through all the dealer links presented to search for dealers that have 2003 Auroras still on the lots. I cannot comment yet on long term reliability, but the car seems comfortable and very powerful with the V8. The 5/60 warranty on Oldsmobiles is the best warranty GM is offering as standard equipment right now, even beating Cadillac. That ranked very high in my decision to buy the car. Good luck in your Aurora shopping!!

*Musclecar97* - I truly wish that I could buy a second Final 500 to put away as my real collectible and drive the one I have right now. That would be awesome! Alast, reality kicks in and the pocketbook is now empty. But, maybe a used one in excellent condition in some years to come. That is extremely possible. Stay tuned!!!!

*Fdion1* - I'm afraid that you will not be able to buy the extention now that you have exceeded the mileage of the new car limited warranty of 3/36. However, you should still have the 5/60 if you didn't trade it for the $1,000 additional cash rebate. Go easy on the miles from now on. The Final 500 comes with the MXV4+ tires on the STS chrome wheels as 'RJS200240' said. The 'W' rated tires were not offered. The Collector's Edition package comes with some very nice emblems, dark cherry color, and embroidery. No chrome on the front bumper though. Go to this link on the Olds website and check it out. - http://www.oldsmobile.com/collectors/aurora
    I am still waiting on my Collector's Appreciation Package to arrive also.

*RJS200240* - I really like the color. It is very dark as you have been describing it in your previous posts. It is so dark that it seems almost like color shifting paint. The sun has to be very bright out to really see the metallic sheen of the paint, but it sets the car off from other Auroras when you see it. It makes you take a second and third look at it. I also really like your Cherry 2002 as well. The dealer I bought my car from still has a new 2002 Cherry V6 model that they have not been able to sell yet. I was able to get a good look at in bright sunlight. Very pretty. I have saved and continuously enjoy the movie clips of your car that you posted. The sound of the V8 excites me every time. I think I made an excellent choice in this car. Even though a fully loaded Final 500 is around $2,000 more than a fully loaded Bonneville SSEi, it is a more luxurious, unique car and worth it in my opinion thus far. A fully loaded Park Avenue Ultra is over $2,000 more than a fully loaded Aurora and comes with 'FAUX'(fake) burl wood dash and 3/36 warranty. All Auroras has real burl wood as standard and 5/60 warranty. That is an automatic blow off of the PA for me even though it is nice too. Near Cadillac ambiance, feel, creature comforts, performance, warranty, and quality at over a $15,000 discount from a fully loaded Seville STS. This is the best deal luxury car GM has to offer this year in my opinion and I'm very sad to see it go!!!

Bryant
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    $3000 is currently available on all Oldsmobile cars.

Other discounts to the dealer are:
    Plus a $400 salesman spiff. Plus several thousand in cashback from Oldsmobile that is not advertised and of course a 3% holdback that amount to over 1K on the Aurora.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    You'll have to post some pictures of the owner's package when you get it. Also, the only part of the CE I haven't seen yet is the engine. Maybe you can snap a shot of the Olds heritage logo on that sweet V8...

Hey, Im glad you like my clips. They arent all up any more so if you missed any, I can probably email them to you. Just FYI, but I also have some shots of the CE at the NAIAS in January. I posted them here in the picts page but all the links seem to have broken. So, you can just go to my cardomain page if you hadn't seen them yet (though you could also just walk out to the garage now and see the same thing... ;) )

I look forward to you sharing more of your excitement with your Aurora as your time with it progresses. Next thing you know you'll be slapping up IRL posters and such... :)
    I know Greg has some IRL stuff up at work, so what kind of Aurora paraphernalia do you all have? Post what you've got!

In my garage:
    - framed Aurora IRL V8 in front of an American flag background poster 2'x3' (this is my fave)
    - framed IRL V8 cutaway poster 2' x 3'
    - framed Aurora "Race car, Pace car, Your car" poster 2' x 3'
    - waxed 2002 Cherry on neutral Aurora 4.0 ;)

At home:
    - The CE Aurora brochure that I'm meaning to frame
    - Olds DVD with some cool Aurora footage
    - framed Non-Aurora 1996 Collector's Edition Corvette convertible with a reflection of a 1959 Stingray racer (the Mirror, Mirror poster)
    - Non-Aurora 50th Anniversary Corvette clock that on the hour chimes out a different exhaust sound from various Corvettes over the last 50 years (the ZR-1 is like 8:00 but is just the sound of it starting up... sort of a bummer...).

At work:
    - 5" x 8" photo of the Aurora GTS-1 (#5 that won the GTS-1 class at the 24 hrs of Daytona) that I saw in Detroit.
    - 5" x 8" photo of the Aurora IRL V8 that won the 1997 Indy 500 (both of these photos I'd like to get printed in 8" x 10")
    - 3 pictures of the Aurora from the 2003 Oldsmobile combined brochure (can't believe they don't have a separate one for the Aurora... Glad I kept a 2002 brochure, though I wish I'd kept a 2001 since it was the nicest, but from what I understand not nearly as nice as the classic brochures).
    - The CE Aurora brochure
    - framed 4"x6" photo of my Aurora
    - Minichamps 1:43 (HO train scale) model of the Aurora GTS-1 prototype/test car.
    - Minichamps 1:43 model of the Aurora GTS-1 #1 car.
    - Minichamps 1:43 model of the Aurora GTS-1 #5 car.
    - The sound of my car accelerating as my Windows logon sound... ;)

I would like to add a model of the Riley & Scott Aurora V8 WSC car, since it was the one that won overall in IMSA and at Sebring and Daytona and various other places. I've been thinking about buying some videos of the 1996 24 hours of Daytona. It must have been something to watch the Aurora fending off Max Papis and the Ferrari 333SP's. The fact that Olds also won the manufacturers championship that season is even more impressive when you consider that Ferrari had about twice the number of cars racing (I believe Olds typically fielded two cars while Ferrari fielded about four), thus many more chances to rack up manufacturer points.

Anyway, what sort of Olds stuff do you have? Maybe you'll give me some ideas!
  • fdion1fdion1 Member Posts: 28
    car:
    2001 Arctic white on neutral Aurora 4.0

media:
    -1995-1999 Aurora brochures
    -1999 Olds range brochure
    -1999? (from memory) OSV (Olds specialty vehicules)

(other brochures for the Recon, Intrigue, Bravada, Silhouette etc)

-2001 boxed press kit w/cdrom and slides
    -2001 brochure (booklet)
    -2001 single page brochure
    -2001 test drive vhs

-2003 Olds DVD

technical:
    -2001 3 book shop manual
    -2001 microfiche set

computer:
    -Screen saver I made
    -numerous desktops
    -Simulation software I wrote that simulates 0-60, 1/4 mile etc for the whole Aurora range.
    -1999 Aurora 3d model and simulation model for Racer.
    -1996 Riley & Scott Olds model and simulation model for Racer.

There is one guy who works as a 3D artist on movies in california who has a 2001 Aurora and he made a 3D model of it. I've been trying to contact him to see if I can use his model to make a simulation model for Racer. He has a web page which I found one day, but haven't been able to find again since...

Francois
  • garnesgarnes Member Posts: 950
    What I got:

At work:
    - 8" x 10" photo of the Aurora GTS-1 (#5 that won the GTS-1 class at the 24 hrs of Daytona) that RJS saw in Detroit.
    - 8" x 10" photo of the Aurora IRL V8 (engine shot) that won the 1997 Indy 500 - also from RJS.

Hey man, they printed out really nice at 8 x 10 for me. Lot's of pixels in those shots. Again, I highly recommend getting these pictures from RJS - they are nice.

Also a kick-butt Indy/Aurora V8 poster that RJS sent. The %#%#(& UPS #&^*&^$(^ jerks damaged it a little but it's still really nice - framed and all at work. I swear the Samsonite Gorilla works for UPS now. They smash all my stuff.
  • nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    You wouldn't want to share the screen saver and desktops, would you? (Assuming they're freely distributable.)
    If you need a place to host them, let me know -- I can toss them up on my site.

Jim
    Hey, where did you get the press kit from? I've seen some on Ebay. Is it worth having? Also, what kind of R&S Aurora model did you get?

Here's my desktop at work and home. The blue blends in with the Win2K blue (I have a different blue for XP at work). If you are interested, I could size it (I use 1280x960) and blue it for you. Just send me an email:

• nne3jxcnne3jxc Member Posts: 134
    Here's my current desktop.
    If anyone wants a copy click here. (1024x768, 107K) When the picture comes up - right-click and select "save picture as".

Jim
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    With all of the rain in the northeast for the last 3-4 months, it's been hard to keep the Aurora clean the way I like it. Finally got a shot at it today with a full cleaning and wax. I wanted to remove all of the wheels to clean all of the winter garbage from the inside of the rim before it becomes too crusted. Decided to change the oil instead!

Anyway, took the car for a ride tonite. I usually don't get to drive it (it's my wife's car). Came in the house with smiles. What smooth power these things have. Anyway, had to tell someone, everyone else is asleep.

Ah the hunt for the 500. Wish I had the money now!
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    I get a 400 error on my browser. Can't see the picture.
  • musclecar97musclecar97 Member Posts: 111
    Here's my stuff:
    -I made a front license plate placard out of the Aurora V8 with flags logo.
    -framed 8x10 of the Race car, pace car..
    -framed 8x10 of the engine with flag background
    -Imsa GTS as desktop wallpaper

Hot wheels:
    -'97 Aurora
    -'98 Aurora GTS-1
    - A Hot Wheel called a '93 Warner which looks just like an Aurora and in fact is the same car as the '97 Aurora but with a different paint scheme and the different name on the bottom of the car, actually I have a '93 Warner that's a police car also.... so what's the deal with these Warners? Was that the name of someone associated with the concept car back in '93? Anyone?
    OBSESSION?
    2 - 1996 (the metal ones) pace car replicas
    1 - 1996 red aurora replica
    3 - 1997 pace car replicas
    2 - IMSA rplicas
    5 - 1994 introductory brochures
    1 - race car pace car your car model
    1 - Aurora as Cadillac kit
    1 - dealer audio tape on the Aurora
    1 - aurora book (the one with engine on cover)
    1 - 36" Aurora "watercolor" poster
    various Aurora wallpapers on computer
    1 - picture of my Aurora on computer
    Started this whole Aurora Board on Edmunds.

So you see, I am NOT obsessed.
    (smile)

Henri
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,091
    I've read here and elsewhere that the 01-02 3.5 Auroras are underpowered. Can anyone who owns one tell me what they are like to drive day-to-day? I have a chance to buy a nice '01 3.5, gold with neutral leather, but am concerned about the 3.5. Thoughts?

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    It depends on what kind of response you're looking for. It's not going to be as responsive as the 4.0. Here's what I can report to you:

a) It will reach 100 mph, and probably more if I had the nerve.

b) It will run at 75 mph up the mild mountain grades in the North Carolina Smokey Mountains, and probably more.

c) On a summer 2002 baseball road trip with my high school graduate son, I had to remind him that I wanted him to keep it under 80 mph as we visited Cincinnati, Chicago, and St. Louis.

d) There is a kick when you floor it at 70, and you're at 80 to 85 pretty quick. You can be at 90 before you've finished passing if you don't let off.

e) But, it won't let you squirt in and out among city traffic the way an import compact can.

f) I've never had the chance to go off the line at a red light against a street racer, but I doubt that I'd have the success that some of the 4.0 guys report.

g) The 3.5L engine won some kind of award from a group called "Wards Automotive" as a well engineered and well put-together V-6. It only appeared in the Intrigue and Aurora for a couple of years, but at least at the start, it was regarded as a pretty solid "little" engine. I don't know who or what "Wards" is, so it's hard for me to judge just what their recognition means. For a while I saw the engine referred to as the "Shortstar", a reference to the high quality Cadillac and Aurora V-8 Northstar engines, but I don't know how similar they are.

h) My 2001 V-6 has 50,000 miles on it now. No power train electrical or programming issues so far, and at this point, I don't expect any. A bad crankshaft position sensor was replaced under warranty within the first year. It caused the car to stall twice while cruising a neighborhood at very slow speeds looking for a new house for my parents. No recurrence of this problem since the replacement of the sensor.

i) About 23 mpg city, 28 mpg interstate highways. On some legs of an interstate trip I can get 30+ mpg, but I always wind up for the whole trip right at 28 mpg. I drive fairly conservatively in the city, with slow starts and long rolling stops to red lights.

j) It's my perception that we've witnessed a horsepower explosion over the last 2 to 4 years. When the 3.5L came out, it was a step above(a half a liter above) the standard issue 3.0L engines in Tauruses and other mid-size US cars. Now, the bar has been raised, and maybe it's not as powerful as the newer mid-size engines. But, the 3.5L will still get you to work, and get you around the slow-poke garbage truck in front of you on your way to work.

k) And finally, I love my V-6 Aurora. Day-to-day, it's a pleasure to drive. It's quiet, powerful enough, with entry-level luxury and an uncommon car. I wish I had a reason, and the finances, to get two of them.

Ken
    Not sure what you consider "underpowered" or where you read that. The V6 Aurora has about 175 fewer pounds to pull than the V8, so that will compensate somewhat for the smaller output. Also, the 3.5 has a very strong, flat torque curve (something you can't say of most Japanese imports). It is based off of the Premium V8 design, and is very smooth. I would hardly think of the car as underpowered, just maybe not overpowered.

While I certainly think the 4.0 is worth the money, if you want a really nice, luxurious car with a lot of features and a smooth powertrain at a nice price, I think the 3.5 Aurora would be an exceptional choice. Look at the various other cars you could get for that price, and see if it still seems underpowered.

Some things to keep in mind are that the 3.5 didn't have the same standard features as the 4.0. Things like memory seats and stability/traction control were options on the 3.5. So if you want them, make sure the car has them.

Also, you might look at the Intrigue board for reliability issues like the crank sensor rocket3_50 mentioned. I don't think the Aurora has the same alternator as the Intrigue, though, and I don't know that the flickering that Intrigues seem plagued by really affects the Aurora.
    Hey, this one is for you CORSA owners: garnes, rjs and don't you have one 800watt? Anyway, does CORSA do any install work at their manufacturing site. I figured they didn't 'cause none of you had it installed there but I figured I would ask. I don't live very far from there and don't have a lot of contact with any good shops here in town to do the work, so I threw them an E-mail, thought I would do the same with you guys. I'm thinking about picking up a system for my '95. Off hand, do you guys know what kind of work it would take to transfer the installed system from a 95 to a 2000 or 2001? I'd like to get a new Aurora in the next couple years and would like to take the CORSA with me. I just don't know if it will be a '99 or 2000 and later, and am curious to see how much work it would take to move the system to the new model if its already been installed on the old one. Any info or suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks!
    I was going to have my system installed there, but didn't when I had no way of getting my stock system home. However, they may be less likely to do it for the classics. I took my car in there for an adjustment to the resonator matching up with the cat. They had an SRT-10 in getting the exhaust done, and when I was leaving a guy brought his C5 in for an adjustment. So they do perform that type of work. But then, those were all cars they sell systems for. The Aurora isn't one.

I don't know what changes for the classic (Greg has provided good details before, so try searching) but for the new Aurora, it is basically just a shortening of some pipe. It is a very small modification. I believe the classic has some shaping of the Y-pipe. So this might prevent it from fitting back onto a new Aurora, and I imagine it would definitely need some additional fitting from a shop.

If you do stop by, have Jim give you a tour. He's a nice guy to talk with and it is neat to see what goes on there. They also had a nice red CTS with some C4 mufflers on it. I wish I'd gotten to hear it, though. I hope they come out with a system for the CTS V-series, as that is the car I can see replacing the Aurora with (at least, in my dreams I can see it...).
    On the classic, the Y pipe gets shortened. You have to cut the branches and sleeve them together again so they are shorter. Also, the shop guys said they did something to the tips - like cutting a slot in them and then bending them just a little so they go out the back just right. I cannot see where they did this though. I'd think if the Y was cut right, you may not have to do this - not positive though.

If you get the Corsa for the 95, you'll have to get a new Y pipe for the 2001+. Maybe the tips would be goofed as well. The rest should be usable I guess. You'd have to get a promise from Jim over there that they would make you another Y and maybe tips. They don't always do pieces of a system.

Also, I'm pretty sure the system RJS has is custom made for the 2001+ Aurora. There is still some difference (not much) between that and the STS. The distance between the tips on the STS is still wider than the 2001+ Aurora, so the Y would still have to be cut like I did. When RJS got his, I remember is was a "special" run of a few system for people that wanted an Aurora system. Because the Y pipe is about the only "major" difference from an STS, Corsa was willing to make a few Aurora systems. The classic has more differences and needs more modification.

Bottom line - a classic system will need some major pieces to make it fit the 2001 again and and I'm not sure Corsa would make you another Y. You could always buy it now and have them send you 2 Y's. If you don't have the tips modified, they would still be usable.

As far as getting Corsa to do the work, you have to call Kim Browning Jr to set something up. Good luck. I tried that forever and it was a pain. Just call some custom exhaust places or speed shops and ask if they do 304 stainless steel exhaust work. You should be able to find somebody in a major city.

If you post an e-mail, I'll send you pictures of how it went together for my 98.
    Thanks for the info. Garnes, if you would be so kind, E-mail me the info at StickKing1@aol.com. You say you thought rjs' system was part of a "special run" for the Aurora...did you just buy the STS model they have listed online and make your own adjustments? I remember you posting pics on the board, but hadn't had time to search for them before I got out of work. I just want to make sure the STS system can be made to work with the classic...and that there is no fundamental piece that CORSA no longer provides. I'll get an E-mail to Jim and ask him about working with my classic, as well as seeing about making an extra Y-pipe and maybe some extra tips, for future use. We'll see how much that'll run ($$$) I had sent one out to their general sales address, but hadn't gotten a response yet, so I'll go right to Jim this time. Thanks for the help guys, I'll let you know if I hear back and if you have any more suggestions, feel free to pass 'em along.

-Brian
    Jim Browning Jr. posted up on GMForums about running off a batch of systems for the new Aurora. I think there only ended up being two of us getting it, though. I think he thought there would be more interest. But everyone over there pulled a Henri and they were all just talk ( :P ). I think Greg is right that they tend to make whole systems at once and thus don't tend to break them up.

I believe Greg and Taylor just bought the STS system. But they can answer that more confidently.

I'd say, if you want the system then get it. Worry about fitting it to your new Aurora when you get one. For now, just enjoy that Corsa sound...
    Has someone used my name in vain???

Henri
    Yep - I just got the standard STS system and the shop modified it. The attached it to the converter at bit further down (shifted it). Then they shortened the Y and maybe adjusted the tips.

I'll send you the pictures of the installation. Share these with a good exhaust shop and talk about it with them. If they aren't willing to talk about it with you, or are not confident - go somewhere else.

If you are anywhere near Indianapolis, I would recommend the shop that did mine. Great guys that were very concerned about doing a nice job.

RJS - LOL. Henri - just making sure you're awake.
    Thanks for the pics and the info. Greg, go ahead and send me the name and address of the shop that did your install. I get into the Indi area pretty frequently and might be able to set that up. You can E-mail it to me if you like or post it...either way is fine. I'll let you know when CORSA gets back to me. Thanks again!

-Brian
    Here is the place I went to.

http://www.teamkents.com

They are just north of Indy. There is a catch though. They are "first come - first serve" with exhaust work. They don't do appointments for exhaust stuff. I don't get it, but that's the way they do it. It takes about a half day. I'd still bring the pictures of their own work so they remember what they did. It might save time. I had Corsa ship the system directly to them.

Perhaps you could work something out with them since you will be driving through. Or maybe call them when passing through and bring it in if there isn't much going on at the moment.

My only complaint (not a big one) is they attached the Y to the car with an extra support. I'm not sure it was needed. The nut they used to attach to the car comes loose and vibrates once in awhile. It's a 2 second fix to tighten it - no biggie. I guess I need to just add a lock washer.
    Got a response from Jim today. He's going on vacation until the 8th! Ugh, that's just my luck. I guess it's for the best, I wouldn't be moving on any of this for the next week or two anyway. I'll give him a call back that week and see what we can work out. I'd love to be able to convince him to do it there, but I know how they feel about installing them on the classics. Garnes, thanks for the info on Kent's, I'll keep them in mind if my powers of persuasion don't work on Jim.
    BTW, I was at the junkyard day before yesterday and as always, had to stop at the area where they have the Auroras. There are only 2 or 3 classics and 3 2nd generations...but I always have to go and mourn. There was a silver 2003 4.0 sitting there all gutted-out, but the trunk lid was in perfect shape, had all the badging intact as well. I got the crazy idea that it would make a sweet decoration for the garage somehow (you know, get a classic trunk lid and a next gen. trunk lid and hang them up together), but the man at the desk killed it when he told me the price. $275 for the trunk lid!...I knew it was coming, it was in great shape and aluminum to boot. I haven't given up though....my dream will be realized!
    Next time your in your favorite part of the junkyard see if any of the classics still have their center consoles. When I got my car it was missing the wooden door covering the ashtray in the center console. Its my understanding that you just about have to get the entire console as the door itself may not be easily removed. I checked with junkyards (sorry auto part recylce centers) about a year ago and couldn't find any. Thanks
    hey musclecar...I will keep my eyes peeled for one when I go over there next time...I'll let you know if I find anything
    I was just about to say, I found a 96 Classic and wanted to know if folks had a wish list. I am trying to figure out wht I should buy of the car to have a stockpile of parts. Any suggestions??

Henri
    Was the mushroom interior only available on the 1995? I think every year after 1995 had the "natural" interior which is not the same color as mushroom.

Can anyone confirm this?

I am asking because I am looking at a wrecked 96 with a great interior.

Henri
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    I'm jealous! I have yet to see any Aurora in a junkyard.

One part I am very interested to acquire is the trunk liner piece that surrounds the trunk-mounted CD changer; I added the changer to my '97.

Because I have not been able to find a source for the tiny lamps that illuminate many of our Auroras' controls, I'm always on the lookout for parts that contain these lamps. Controls such as power window switches, interior light dimmer, twilight sentinel, trunk release, fuel door release, etc. The lamps are both T1 and T1-3/4 neo wedge base, some with blue coating.

The center console and four door armrests may be extremely valuable some day. The wood is real, and the dealer prices are out of sight.

My '97 is missing several of the screws that secure the console bin. When I tore into the console to fix the broken shifter indicator light, it was obvious I wasn't the fisrt one there. The dealer wants something like $3 each for 10 minimum -- ridiculous. If anyone has extras they would be willing to part with, let me know.

Also looking for 2001-2003 non-chrome 17x7.5 wheels.
    Thanks stickking

Henri - I'm still looking for an ashtray door cover from the center console. Is there one on that '96. My '97 interior is the tan and beige though I never looked up the official GM name given the color for that year, its probably something like calf-tan and mushroom compost-brown.
  • aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
    I just hit 21K and my mpg is 17.0 average on the 4.0L almost since I have had the car . I use regular gas, same brand for the last 20 months. The book says 17/25 but part of my drive to work is on the Interstate. Run Chemtool thru gas every 10K. Use synthetic oil but just can't get a higher DIC figure on mpg. I also check it against actual gallons and the DIC is off but only by a little. Any ideas?

Thanks,
    Steve
    RJS- Is there a procedure in your service book for the clearing of memory and a re-learn procedure?

Thanks,
    Steve
    I usually get about 17 mpg in my daily commute. My commute consists of about 3.5 miles with 3 stop signs and 3 traffic signals. So I'm mainly accelerating and stopping. When I used to commute farther (still no interstates) I could usually get 20 mpg unless I was punching it a lot. The first thing I'd look at if I were you is your driving style. Keep the DIC on instant mpg. When you are on the highway, are you usually getting 25-30+ on it? Or are you usually in the teens or low 20's? I've found that I can drive for mileage by monitoring the DIC. Often I can go the basically the same speed while easing back on the throttle and raising the DIC instant mpg reading. I always did that in the Corvette, and rarely got under 20 mpg per tank. It can actually be sort of a fun challenge to manuver and such while still keeping the mileage high. Not as fun as judicious use of the throttle, though...

If you think there really is something wrong, try pulling a few spark plugs and see what they look like. If the car is constantly running rich, they might show fouling. As a cheap fix (usually cheaper than trying to diagnose it) you could swap the O2 sensor.

I'll check out my service manual for a "relearn" procedure. However, I would imagine that disconnecting the battery for 1/2 hour or so ought to do it.

The last thing you might consider is a Corsa exhasut system. :D A freer-flowing exhaust can make an increase on mileage, though not a huge one. By reducing the effort to pump out exhaust, it helps improve the energy use of the engine.

Oh, I have about 19,500 on my red beauty now. Looks like you are beating me.
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    The computer should notice if the engine is running too rich and turn on the check engine light. But I managed to get 20+ with my first generation Aurora in city driving. Now, I have mostly highway to and from work, and get 24-25 in summer driving with the 4.6 liter V8 in the SLS. Gearing is better for MPG in this car though.
    It sounds like we drive the same way. I also keep the instant mileage active all the time. It is that I have been getting high 18's until about a month ago and it has dropped as low as 16.8 mpg. I wonder if the gas changing to the summer formula might be the difference? Your 02 sensor idea is something to try. When I get caught up, I will look at the front bank of plugs, another excellent idea. What usually kills my mileage is when my wife wants to drive her mother grocery shopping. I can work all week in coasting and pacing stop lights and it is all for not after she putts around in it.

Thanks again,
    Steve
  • rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    Can someone offer me his opinion on the three(?)radio options on the 2003 Aurora? I already have a 2001 with the Bose system. I'm considering a 2003 Aurora located by my dealer in another state. Right now the Bose system in the 2001 is good for me. The car I'm looking at has the "standard" radio, not the Bose, and not the Navigation system. Am I going to be disappointed in the standard radio? I'm not an audiophile, but I can hear the difference between a crummy radio and a good one. I probably can't hear the difference between a good one and a very good one. Any first hand, comparison shopping experience would be appreciated. How do the three compare against each other? Does the difference in sound quality really stand out over the road noise, anyway, at 45 mph or 75 mph? I haven't been back in the archives to check on previous postings here, but I think I remember that it's pretty risky to consider aftermarket modifications if I want to keep the steering wheel buttons working. Do I remember that right?

Thanks,
    Ken
    I loved the Bose speakers in my 1987 Corvette, so I didn't consider the base system. I'd imagine it is decent, though. The Bose has more speakers. Also, for 2003 the Nav radio includes the Bose speakers. It was 2002 that it didn't. So you really only have two choices.
  • ramouramou Member Posts: 84
    My power mirror switch illuminating lights burned out completely. The switch still works but it doesn't light up. About 6 month ago half of it went out but this week all of it did. I took it out before, shook it a few times and it worked fine for about a week. Do I have to replace the entire switch or would I be able to disassemble the unit and change the bulbs? If I remember right from looking at it the first time that it wasn't fixable and it looked like it was sealed.I think the dealer had it for around $45. Has any one had that problem before..I'm guessing that it burns out because the switch is so close to the door everytime I open it and close it it vibrates the circuit inside.
    Hello Ramou, always nice to greet a fellow Aurorian.
    You posted the above message in the problems and solutions board. You do not need to post it here also. The guys are pretty good at checking the other boards.

thanks,

Henri
    Hi rocket3_50,

I bought a new 2003 Aurora Collector's Edition(Final 500) in April/May. I test drove 4 different regular Auroras between November 2002 and March 2003. 3 had the BOSE 8-speaker system, with one of those being the Navigational radio, and 1 with the STANDARD 6-speaker system. I took along a good sounding cassette and CD to listen to on 3 of those test drives to test the sound of the systems.

The STANDARD radio sounded terrible to me. The sound quality was far below what the BOSE systems put out. I have a 1990 Oldsmobile Touring Sedan that I bought used with the factory BOSE sound system during that era and I have been spoiled on BOSE every since. I knew that the STANDARD system was going to be subpar, but wanted to sample them all to prove it to myself.

The BOSE system is light years away from the STANDARD system. After comparing the new Aurora's system to my Touring Sedan's system, the system in the Aurora is even better still. When you crank the volume up really loud in a BOSE system, the sound doesn't get garbled, hissy, or cracklely like a lower quality system. It stays clear and even all the way through the volume range and you can hear every note and sound effect in your music clearly and precisely. Even the BOSE Navigational radio that I also tested to see how well it sounded with the voice prompts for telling you which way to go and turn when you entered a destination was clear and gave a surround-sound feeling. The extra 2 rear-door speakers and BOSE technology really transforms it into a excellent system. Actually, it was a no-brainer, must-have option that I definitely had to order on the Aurora when I talked with the dealer about getting one. I am completely sold on BOSE systems. You cannot go wrong with them. I have noticed that it is the most preferred factory optional audio system most prevalent in over 50% of all automaker carlines that you can buy. That tells you something about BOSE there.

Plus, when the factory stops stocking the BOSE radio and speakers and you can't get them fixed at the dealer, you can return your speakers to the BOSE factory and they will repair them to like-new sound for a reasonable charge. I know, because my Touring Sedan's speakers started going out on me and I could not longer get the parts for my car's system from the local dealer because they have been discontinued. I found out on the BOSE website that they can repair your BOSE speakers for you. I contacted them about the particulars, took them out of the car, send to the BOSE repair center, and got them back in a week. They sound brand new again. You won't be able to do that with the GM STANDARD speakers.

Having given my two cents, I think that you should pass on this Aurora with the STANDARD system and get one that has the BOSE system. I don't think that you will be happy with the BASE radio at all and will kick yourself later for it. Also, why not consider buying a Collector's Edition Aurora with the optional BOSE system. You will then have something really special that only 500 people will have the pleasure of owning and might be a real collectible car one day should you keep in showroom condition and keep the miles off of it. I know where several are in the Southeast area if you want one.

B.O.T.
    Steve: What usually kills my mileage is when my wife wants to drive her mother grocery shopping. I can work all week in coasting and pacing stop lights and it is all for not after she putts around in it.

I think that's it right there, Steve. It is very hard to bring the mileage up after a reasonable amount of poor-mileage driving. If you are getting decent mileage on the instant mpg (or if you reset it for your trips just to see) then it sounds like it is just the way the car is driven. Nothing you can really do about that... That's just how it is... It's easy to bring 20mpg down to 16-17, but it is difficult to bring 16mpg back up to 20... what can you do...
    Bryan - I have a 98 with the Bose. A friend just bought a 2003 with the standard stereo. We compared them back to back and with the standard stereo set to a "jazz" setting - it sounded identical to my 98 Bose. Other settings did not sound as good. Of course "jazz" boosts the low and high end. My Bose has no such adjustment other than bass and treble - but I leave those straight up - neutral.

Bottom line - I found the standard stereo in the 2003 to be every bit as good as the bose in my 98. I can't imaging there is a big difference between Bose in 98 and now. Perhaps a little.
    Garnes,

It 'sounds' like you did a good test comparison of a BOSE system vs. a NON-BOSE system(pun intended). Also, consider that the new bodystyle is different from the original Aurora. I'm sure that they worked on the acoustics of the new bodystyle and tried to improve on quietness, sound blocking, and matched the BOSE speakers sound to the new car as they do with every car their products are in. I'd like to hear how the BOSE in the first generation sounds against the second generation Auroras. I know that my new Aurora BOSE system sounds even better than in my Touring Sedan. It also only has bass, treble, and front-to-rear speaker control buttons.

Just some food for thought!

Bryant
  • awc4awc4 Member Posts: 1
    I am considering purchasing an '03 Olds Aurora with 4,600+ miles on it. The dealer offered me $3,000 for my trade-in, when I wanted $3,500. He said he could go no lower than invoice as if it was a law or something. I got him to go $500 below invoice, but I figured he was going to add it to the trade-in. Because these cars are no longer being produced and are hard to find, does this sound like a reasonable deal or are they still asking too much with that many miles on the car?