Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    Hey guys, I'm back from Houston...what a beautiful town! Although the number of SUV's and trucks parked in the city is outrageous. I can't imagine how they get around. Oh, not to mention the Porsche population, jeez! I've got nothing against them or BMW 3 & 5 Series..but does anyone take care of these cars down there? I've never seen so many dingy, dirty $50,000 and $70,000 dollar cars in my life.

Wonderful skyline though, and some very nice people. The city is gearing up for the Superbowl, so some of it is hard to navigate, but no problem if you've ever driven through Detroit.

My brother and I drove my Dad's car straight through in about 23 hours, and I only saw 2 Auroras on the way down, both classics. I was in Houston for 5 days and only saw 2 more, one classic and one 2003. That's crazy considering that I see that many on my 4 mile communte every day back home.

Had a good time. Stopped by too many bars, and way too many reasturaunts, and am looking forward to going back...maybe around Superbowl time.
  • #noname#noname Member Posts: 58
    Could've had the 5000th post!
  • stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    Yeesh, all that vacation-ing has done wonders for my math. I hadn't noticed that I was not signed in when I posted those...is the "guest posting" ability new?

BTW....4500th post!! :-)
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    There was an autologin glitch that managed to allow folks to post without including their ID. I'm told it has been fixed. :)
    Hey guys, can anyone tell me when Olds added theater-dimming lighting for the interior on the Aurora. Maybe 97 or 98??
  • cwiley1cwiley1 Member Posts: 82
    My '97 has the dimming lights, '95 doesn't.
  • jjjenksjjjenks Member Posts: 2
    Hello,

I am thinking of buying a 96 Aurora with 83000 miles and would like to know your opinions on the car. They are asking 5700 for it and are in the process of replacing the ac hoses and compressor. It is suppose to run good though. Let me know what you think.
  • sinatra2sinatra2 Member Posts: 65
    I have the "Theater Dimming Lights" in my 96. kinda sexy at the drive-in without the kids I guess.
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    Sounds like a good deal. I bought my '95 in May of 2001 with 50k miles for $11,000.

My recommendation would be to check the service records. If there are none w/ the car, go to an Olds dealer w/ the vin number and have a service writer run the service history. They should do it no charge.

These cars are phenomenal, but with any high performance car with higher miles and all the toys the Aurora has, repairs can be expensive and preventive maintenance IS THE KEY.

Look for regular service/flushes of the trans, regular oil changes, among other things. Things that commonly go wrong with aurora's near that mileage include the A/C (which you're getting replaced), water pump (about $250-350 depending on who does it), fuel pressure regulator (about $150 at the dealer). Also, CHECK FOR OIL LEAKS. These Northstar engines are basically bullet proof, but they do leak oil and some leaks can be very expensive to fix.

Finally, you might want to browse the Aurora Owners Problems & Solutions discussion on this board.

There are people on these boards a lot more knowledgeable than I am, but that's my 2cents. GOOD LUCK!
    Why is is I always find myself racing some other Oldsmobile? I just get no satisfaction from roasting some poor chap in an Alero...doesn't he know I'm his big brother? Why does he even try? We shouldn't be fighting eachother....that is unless he's put 19" wheels on his car and a big wing bolted to the trunk, that's a different story, but its so sad to have to humble another GM owner. Ah well...my ego knows no family ties.
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    Can't we ALL just get along?????
  • jjjenksjjjenks Member Posts: 2
    Thats for all the advice. I am a pretty accomplished mechanic but I am tired of spending my weekends under the hood of a car, thats why I am looking. I think I might buy it but I have to test drive it after the ac is fixed.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    jjjenks, over a year ago I posted a message (3246) regarding "common" or "recurring" problem areas/issues with Auroras. Not everyone has these issues, but they've been seen more than once here.

To that list, I would add:

a) rear crankshaft oil seals - my dealer does 1-2 of these per week. Mine was done in March. A very expensive repair, as it requires dropping the engine and splitting and re-sealing the block. This may be the reason why people complain of Northstar engines "burning" oil - mine never did until last December, and the crankshaft seal leak was discovered by the dealer in early March. Have reputable mechanic check for this

b) multifunction stalk switch - you hear a clicking under the dash, and your headlights may be flashing. This might be due to too much grease on one of the rotary dials on the dash - some folks have resolved the issue simply by cleaning it - but otherwise, the whole left stalk needs replacement. I had this repair last September (lights flashing killed my battery, which was 5+ years old anyway).

c) if your traction control or ABS lights come on, it may be a wheel speed sensor, or possibly a wheel bearing.

d) plugs and plug wires - only use AC Delco. These start to become an issue for most between 70k to 80k miles.

e) transmission issues - usually a shift solenoid. May as well replace both of them while they're in there.

f) the fuel pressure regulator is a recurring repair item. Sometimes folks have had to replace the fuel rail as well. Drivability will be an issue (stalling/surging), as will smelling gas.

g) if you have problems with the buttons on the doors not working, it's due to the (too-thin) gauge of wires in the door hinge area - too much flexing causes them to short/break. Not that difficult to re-wire, actually...

Anything else I've forgotten? Really should put together a "master list" and post it over in Problems & Solutions...

Don't let this list frighten you - the big expenditures are the AC compressor (which is being fixed on your prospective car), followed by the crankshaft seals and the tranny shift solenoids. It's always a good idea to run the VIN past the service department of a GM dealer, to see what warranty work has been done on the car. CarFax isn't a bad idea either (to see ownership, mileage, vehicle inspection and accident history)...

Hope this helps,

--Robert
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    Im sure that your dealer is making a killing doing those oil seals. Everytime they see an Aurora or Caddy Northstar come in they know there probably going to see some oil. So there going to tell you about the infamous Northstar oil leak. And how you have to get it done becasue they can see oil . And they pocket another $2000. Truth is that the Northstar oil leak is not that bad of a problem. And it is not going to give you driveabilty problems. Look in the problem & solution board around page 54. I wrote about some insight that I have on this problem. Unfortunately the vast majority of these repairs being done are not neseccary. Unless not seeing a little oil on your engine is worth $2000 to you. It isnt to me for sure. Ever notice you never hear of any problem from this oil leak. No engines blowing or nothing. Just oil leaking is all. You would think with this being such a horrible oil leak and neseccary repair you would hear all kinds of horror stories from people not getting it fixed. I have yet to hear 1. And most of us are driving high miles classics. Im not saying the leak isnt legit, but it just isnt that bad and you can live with it if you want.

I highly recommend anyone with an oil leak to go to caddyinfo.com and get the real lowdown before shelling out big bucks.
  • rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    Man, our cars are awesome looking. A guy I work with was checking out the pictures I have plastered up all around my cube (yeah, a cube... :( ) and said "that looks like a Maserati". He thought it was great looking. He had no idea it was an Oldsmobile. It does have similar type styling to the Trident-clad cars in the sense that they are sort of sporty yet understated. More of a subtle sportiness to the style. And both are GT/lux sporty, not all-out sporty. Anyway, I was fairly flattered, except that the Aurora is probably torquier and gets better mileage than any Maserati... ;)

There is a diamond-white Riviera that parks in the same garage as I do at work. The more I look at it, the more I see the same styling cues, but notice how much better they work on the Aurora. The shorter trunk and long hood, the cut of the rear side windows. The Riv looks cool, but the style fits the Aurora so much better. Even the new trunk is similar to the Riv's back-end.

I also keep looking at Taurus rears. They have generally the same shape, but man is there a difference in the details. For one, the ridge along the top of the trunk carries into the light housing on the Aurora. It doesn't on the Taurus. And the reflectors have a more attractive appearance on the 'Roara and the housing itself looks nicer. In part because of the red, white, and yellow sections. Also, the trunk seems to have nicer curves, and the trunk works with the bumper more. The lights also sweep up on the sides and you can see bodywork. The channel in the bumper and the foglights all just give it a nicer, more quality look. This is also noticeable in the fact that the more upscale Tauri need a trunk spoiler to give it a nicer appearance. The Aurora's end looks very finished and complete without the need for a spoiler.

The local Ferrari/Maserati dealer got a Shelby Series 1 in and I just had to stop by and see it. What a nice car. It's funny how much of it is Aurora-like. The doorhandles, the side mirrors, The gauges have a very "Aurora" feel to them. As does the console-mounted ignition. It's like a racing Aurora. I'll have to go back and snap some picts and see if I can open the engine bay up. I'd like to hear it running. It has a Borla exhaust, but I bet it would sound sweeter through some Corsa's... ;)
    They are beautiful. People swear my 95 is brand new. I say its a 95 and their like "get the hell out of here". Its amazing how many people dont know these are Oldsmobiles. GM really screwed the pooch on these cars. If they would have really backed this car at all Olds would still be around and we would be seeing the 3rd gen Auroras soon. What a shame. What might have been.
  • gmichael2gmichael2 Member Posts: 2
    Sounds like I'm ready to start an adventure. Sunday I purchased a 1995 Aurora on Ebay for $2900.00. I fly to N Carolina Monday to pick it up and drive it back to Cincinnati. The pictures look great and they claim it is 1 owner so we shall see. I was looking for a 3rd car to save miles on the new ones and I couldn't get this much class for under $3K. I've checked with my local auto shop who I've always trusted and while he claims to not be a Northstar expert he is pretty sure he can keep me on the road. I can see that this board is going to be a big help.
  • hammen2hammen2 Member Posts: 1,284
    I agree that they are making a killing on this. They never sprung this on me until my engine actually was leaking (I think I added 1 1/2 qts of oil between changes - the only time I've ever had to - but my Aurora never showed it leaking in my driveway, so presumably it was all on top of the engine cover). I was pretty PO'd when it first happened, but my extended warranty company footed most of the bill. I certainly won't let the dealer fix this problem, should it occur again (my co-worker's friend rebuilds engines for performance, and would do this job "on the side" for me for a lot less than the dealer, should it ever become necessary again).

--Robert
    who really, really loves his Classic Aurora (getting her buffed out on Friday :-)
    Yeah, if you have a warranty then of course get everything repaired that you can. I meant the info more for people that dont have a warranty and would have to break themselves for this repair.
    Hello Aurorians:

I just became the proud owner of a convertible Riveira. I wanted the Toro convertible version, but the two I saw the folks wanted too much money for them. I must admit that I am glad I got the Riviera version of the car. The Riv and the caddie both have shoulder strap seat belts and the Toro does not.

The car is very smooth on the road and I have a GM convertible with power without the caddie Allante price.

For those of you not in the know, GM built the eldorado/toronando/riveira convertible from 1982 to 1985. The caddie had the 4100 motor and the riv andd olds shared the OLds 307 5.0 v8 engine.
    The only bad thing is I get a gas guzzler just as prices are going through the roof for gass. I have seen $2.05 for priemum on Mobile gas. Thats over $36.00 to fill the Aurora's tank!

I dont know how to post pictures on this thing but I think this link to the ebay posting for the car is still active. Your opinions are welcome.

Henri

P.S. I already told aROARa there is no reason for her to be jealous, she is stil my baby.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item- =2427714758&category=6142
    Great car. My first car was actually the same Riv, but not a convertable. They have awesome engines. The only problem I had with mine was the rear air shocks always leaked. Incase you dont know you refill the air shocks under the hood.
    Hey guys, wkind of AC Delco plugs are you using? I went over to the auto store to pick up a new set and all he had listed were the AC Delco Platinums, no listing for Rapidfires...or any plain Delco plugs. Am I going crazy? If you happen to have a box sitiing around with a part number, send that along as well. Thanks!

-Brian

PS...new AC compressor going in tomorrow. Should be a full day!
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    There is a 5-spoke 16x7.5 Aurora classic wheel for auction on eBay; auction ends Sunday, August 31. Does anyone have any information on this 5-spoke wheel? The photo looks exactly like the 6-spoke wheels I am used to, except one spoke is missing. Also, the 7.5" width is 0.5" wider than the wheels I am familiar with.
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    That wheels that you saw is for the late 1997 Oldsmobile LSS, which came with the 5 spokes, there very similar to the Auroras 6 spoke.

I personally like the 5 spoke, I even thought about changing them at one point to the 5 spoke for my Aurora.

Peace.

Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
    The only plug listed for the Aurora is the platinum. I suppose because it really is important to use those specific plugs. I personally dont think youll find anything better.
    Yeah, the only Delco plug is the platinum, but there are all sorts of other brands (platinum and not) to choose from...I just wonder why the only thing Delco seems to have available is the Platinum @ 5 bucks a piece.

If we want to get picky, my car was built well before the "Platinum fad" hit, and was sent off the line with regular old (copper?) plugs. It just hit me as strange that the only plug from Delco I could get was Platinum....that being said, I will be getting the Delcos for sure, I wouldn't get anything else....but where did my Rapidfires go?

-Brian
  • jonbgoodjonbgood Member Posts: 157
    I bought Kumho Ectsa HP4's for my classic after reading about them from some good things from other Aurora owners on Tirerack.com. Local Ford dealer ordered and intstalled for about $86 a piece with Road Force Balancing. (incl lifetime rotation and balancing) The car rides extremely smooth and quiet with these inexpensive tires. There is no shake anywhere up to 80mph. (Didn't try any faster) Only got 30k on my Michelin MXV4s. These ride quieter.
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    Thought I would drop a note to the owners of 2001 or newer Auroras with the 4.0.

Since day one (2 1/2 years ago) I have been losing coolant but couldn't find out where. Well I finally found a puddle in the garage in the front left side of the engine area.

Took the car to the dealer (Buick since the Olds dealer caved and left us stranded) and they found a leak at the thermostat. The RO (repair order) indicated a bulletin that spoke to a bad gasket set at the thermostat. They had to order the parts overnight and when they worked on it the second day, it leaked again. They ordered parts again overnight and the second time they claim it's fixed - after three days.

All it speaks to is replacing gaskets, not parts.

I have no idea if this happens on the earlier 4.0s or not.

So my 22,000 mile car has had some weird issues. I had to replace both outer tie rod ends at 15,000 miles and now this gasket. It doesn't bother me much because I'm not paying for the repairs or losing a car for the day (my wife uses the car). She's starting to get annoyed which is a good thing. One or two more of these odd ball things and she'll relinquish the car to me. I win!
    I found this listing of RPO codes for the 2003 Aurora (sorry, it didn't go back to 2002). I think almost everything will apply except possibly the Nav radio (didn't exist in 2001, and was different from 2002 to 2003). Also, it lists the CE package, and no RPO for the 3.5 V6. I thought it was pretty cool, though:

RPO Codes - Oldsmobile Aurora

Option Code Description
    A45 Memory Package
    A51 Seats, front leather seating surfaces contoured bucket
    AG2 Seat adjuster, power, front passenger 6-way
    AJ7 Air bags, frontal and side-impact, driver and right front passenger
    AP9 Cargo convenience net
    AT9 Seat adjuster, power, lumbar, front passenger 8-way
    AU0 Keyless entry, remote
    B34 Floormats, carpeted, front
    B35 Floormats, carpeted, rear
    BA5 Gold Package
    C68 Air conditioning, front electronic
    C79 Lighting, interior
    CE1 Wipers, intermittent, front
    CF5 Sunroof, power
    CJ2 Air conditioning, dual-zone, automatic
    DA1 Armrest, center, rear
    DD7 Mirror, inside rearview, electrochromic with compass display
    DD8 Mirror, inside rearview, electrochromic
    DH6 Visors, illuminated vanity mirrors, driver and front passenger
    DR5 Mirrors, outside rearview, power, heated, body-color
    E28 Assist handles
    FE3 Suspension, 4-wheel independent, touring
    FE9 Emissions, Federal requirements
    FV4 Axle, 3.71 ratio
    JL4 Precision Control System
    JL9 Brakes, 4-wheel antilock, 4-wheel disc
    K05 Engine block heater
    K34 Cruise control
    KA1 Seats, heated, driver and front passenger
    L47 Engine, 4.0L DOHC V8 SFI
    MX0 Transmission, 4-speed automatic
    N93 Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, painted
    N94 Wheels, 17" (43.2 cm) aluminum, chrome
    NB8 Emissions override, California, Maine, Massachusetts, New York or Vermont
    NC7 Emissions override, Federal
    NE1 Emissions, Maine or Massachusetts state requirements
    NG1 Emissions, New York or Vermont state requirements
    NP5 Steering wheel, leather-wrapped rim
    NV7 Steering, power, Magnasteer
    NW9 Traction control
    QCH Tires, P235/55R17, H-rated, blackwall
    R1K Collector's Edition Package
    T1U Passenger Comfort Package
    T2U Convenience Package
    U1F Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with cassette and CD player
    U1Q Sound system, ETR AM/FM stereo with cassette and CD player
    U1S Sound system, 12-disc CD changer
    U40 Driver Information Center
    U77 Headlamps, halogen
    U80 Sound system feature, Bose
    UE1 OnStar
    UG1 Universal Transmitter
    UH8 Instrumentation, analog
    UM8 Navigation radio, onboard
    UV7 Antenna, integral, front
    UW6 Sound system feature, 6-speakers
    VK4 License plate cover, front
    YF5 Emissions, California state requirements

Apparently Edmunds didn't like my (table)(/table) with <> for ()... :(
    For reasons I do not know, some of the html codes have been disabled for message posting. I agree. :(
  • fjk57702fjk57702 Member Posts: 539
    Howcome the date of the last post is listed as 4 days ago in the level above this one?
    I see that all the time too. The post number is correct, but the date listed for newest post is incorrect...sometimes by as much as 3 or 4 days. Although it seems to change depending on which computer I am using to access the site. (shrug)
    "level above this one" ??

I don't understand the question.
    The level above this is the list of discussion topics for the sedans section. There is a line that has headers:
    discussion title ..........last post..........total......new
    aurora_______________9/5____________4532

But now it seems to be fixed!
    Ahh, gotcha -- there are administrative things that go on with discussions that can cause them to move up in the sort order of the main board discussion list, even though a post has not been made. I think that is what you were seeing.

And now back to our regularly scheduled topic ...

:)
    You can tell its been an uneventful week in Aurora-land when the big topic of the day is the post count on the board not matching up... :-)
    After buying my Riviera I decided to join the Buick Riviera discussion group. Guess what gang . . .
    There is no such thing on Edmunds!

The Riviera only stoped production 2 years ago and its already just a memory. Will 2005 mark the end of the Aurora boards???

Will Pat be out of a job????

Henri
    The date today on the Aurora is listed as the 5th, but it is in amoungst todays forums.
    Wasn't 98 or 99 the last year for the Riv? That's more like 4+ years ago, not 2. Was there a Riv board back then or has there never been one?
    There have been a few general Riviera discussions on the Coupes board. Another could be started, or an email could be sent to the host of that board asking for one to be reopened.

I agree that there hasn't been a whole lot of interest in that vehicle in the Town Hall, but feel free to make that change. ;->

One way to find Riviera topics is to use the keyword search. Most were created prior to the categorization system we use now, so the Make/Model search won't find them.

And yes, there is something wrong with the last post date in this discussion. Finally it sinks in. Let me see what I can find out. :)
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    Tell me what you guys think. I test drove an 2001 with the V6 the other day. It's on a dealer's lot. It has 19K mi. The 5 yr/60k warranty is transferable for $100 per letter dealer gave me. The car has most of the available options except moonroof. The original window sticker (found in the glove box) was $34k. The car has a couple of dings and scratches and a spot on the head liner. Edmunds dealer retail price is $18k. Dealer was asking $16k, but came down to $14.8k. I thought it sounded to good to be true.

Thanks.
    Under $15K for an Aurora with 19K miles. That sounds pretty good to me. What options does the car have?
  • rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    I've got a 2001 V6 with 55,000 miles that I'd pay $15,000 for today in a heartbeat. The V6 doesn't get much discussion here, but it's a terrific car. If you're worried about upcoming repairs, here's my experience:

a) Rear fog lamps burned out early - replaced under warranty with longer life bulbs, no charge. I no longer run with the fog lamps on, except when weather requires it.

b) Console compartment lid hinge broke early - replaced under warranty (I think this is a design flaw, as I know of two other console lids with broken hinges), no charge.

c) Steering wheel buttons back lights for radio and AC burned out early - replaced under warranty, no charge.

d) Heated seat buttons back lights burned out early - replaced entire console walnut burl surface along with lights since they don't come separately, no charge. (The second piece of burl was actually a little nicer looking than the original.) (Well, actually it was the third piece of burl, since the technician chipped the new second piece installing it. So, a third piece was ordered and installed.)

e) Steering wheel minor grabbing or rubbing problem - lubricated the intermediate steering shaft once, replaced the steering gear once, both under warranty, no charge.

f) Car stalled twice at very low speed (~10 mph)-replaced malfunctioning crankshaft position sensor under warranty, no charge.

g) Very rarely (maybe 5 or 6 times in 55,000 miles, for 5 to 15 minutes at a time) the transmission shift points are not where they should be. The computer has not set a trouble code yet, and neither the dealers nor I have been able to duplicate the high-reving, funny shifting conditions on demand. On one occasion, driving away from a dealer oil change, I turned around, got the technicians in the car to show them, and it disappeared. (So, it's not always baloney when the dealer tells you, "We couldn't duplicate the problem.") In my case, the shifting was not so far off that I felt any danger or reduction in control of the car.

h) Both vanity mirror covers flop down because the friction hinge has weakened in two years. To be fixed under warranty. I noticed on the repair order from the dealer that the visor mirror cover was noted as "On national back order". So, my conclusion is that this is another very minor design flaw in the interior trim.

i) An instrument cluster dash light burned out early - replaced under warranty by the technician doing the intermediate steering shaft lube. I didn't even notice this one. No charge.

j) Overhead console lights not functioning. This problem has just appeared, and I haven't been to the dealer yet to repair this. I expect to have this addressed under warranty at no charge.

k) Occasionally replace one of the several push-in fasteners that hold the front air dam in place. I wouldn't have this problem if I didn't keep running up on curbs. The nylon(?) fasteners cost $3 each at my dealership and they don't stock them, but I have also used standard metal hardware from a Lowe's or similar home improvement store.

To some people this might seem like a long and irritating list. But, I'm still smiling. I can't wait to get in it - it's a pleasure to drive. "Love covers a multitude of sins", might be an appropriate motto for most of the Aurora owners you'll see here.

Ken
  • indrgbindrgb Member Posts: 115
    It had several options, some in packages. The highlights that I remember are chrome wheels, traction control, stability control, heated seats, rain sensing wipers, auto climate control, and power passenger seat. I think some of those are std with the V8, but not the V6. One thing I was a little disappointed with was the power. In order to get any sort of strong acceleration I had to practically floor it. From reviews I've read I thought it would be a little more responsive. I guess if you want fast you need the V8.

Can someone comment on what sort of MPG you get with these cars?
  • aurora5000aurora5000 Member Posts: 168
    After a reset of a 30 minute battery unplug, I now get 17-18 mpg in the city and straight highway, I have gotten as high as 28mpg at 70mph.
     My mileage is on a 2002 V8, 23K. I think RJS gets a little better mileage.

Thanks,
    Steve
    The 98 Aurora that I used to have got 29 MPG on a long trip (5000 miles) to California and back. This was in the fall so the A/C was used minimally. My typical city MPG varied from 18 to 21 depending on weather (winter or summer). Now that I have moved out of town I get much better mileage with the 4.6 liter northstar.
  • rocket3_50rocket3_50 Member Posts: 42
    2001 V6 - 28mpg on an extended interstate highway trip at 55 mph - 75 mph and 22mpg-24mpg around town.
    I just wanted to thank you guys for posting more new messages on this board than the problems and solutions board. That has not been the case lately.
    Does that mean we are finally over the car has "issues" hump??

Henri
    I have noticed a lot of fine scrathes on my car that I thought came from using the snow brush to remove snow from the car. The delaer told me that it was actually a problem with the paint job on the Classics (at least the 1995's).

Has anyone else noticed this on their cars? You can only see the scrathes in the "right light."

Henri