Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• rjs200240rjs200240 Posts: 1,277
    All GM's with an automatic have a tranny cooler when equipped with an automatic. If you look at your radiator, you will notice two smallish metal tubes that attach to it. These are full of tranny fluid, and run through part of the radiator to cool it. Since tranny fluid tends to run around 300 degrees, and the coolant tends to run around 200 degrees, this works just great.

If you tow a lot, then maybe you'd want an additional, larger fluid to air cooler for the tranny. But if you just drive aggressively or autocross or something, you'd probably benefit more from a power steering fluid cooler first. ;)

Henri, the 1999 I took for a test drive was black on grey, fully loaded (even the gold package), and had if I recall around 30K (you can probably look back at my post from then to know for sure). You shoulda let me know and I could have given you the dealer's number. I'm not more than a few hours from NJ, certainly a fair distance for the car of your dreams... :D
  • HenryHenry Posts: 1,106
    I tried to search for your posting, but it did not come up. I dont know when you took the test drive but I guess it is too late to contact that dealer now.

Henri
    Ebay has a ragtop Aurora that looks pretty good in the pictures. I just can't tell if its white or diamond white. I would have to see the ragtop in person to see if I liked it. I wonder what they did with the back window? You know what I am talking about guys, the tendency of the weather stripping on the back wibdow to separate.

Henri

still searching for fully loaded black on black 99. Its out there somewhere . . . .
  • mg11mg11 Posts: 29
    Hey Henry!!
    I'm with you as far as trying to find a "perfect 99 Classic" I will be starting my search in the spring of '04. I imagine there are some real good ones out there. I think I'll keep my '97 to make mods with. I like the look vs. the "new" Aurora. I think the ragtop on E-Bay just ruins the look and lines of the car, makes it look too much like a ragtop Continental. Good luck in your search.
  • That ragtop is like 10 min. away city driving. I dunno why here in south fl. someone would want a black top added. Freaking 90 today geeze.

I'm with mg11 on the top away. I think S. FL. is the ragtop capital of the world. lol. I'm pretty sure its just a con for the old people to get jacked at the dealer.

Henry, it sounds if you interested? If so, I be glad it help in anyway. It looks like it has all the options (see 2 paragraph). HTD seats, s/f, gold package, 12-disc (w/the cover, [non-permissible content removed]), and V rated tires (50/50 chance of it being an autobahn).
    I would have to see the rag top in person to see if I like it. A ragtop and sunroof combination is something I would definity have to see with my own eyes. However, the next time I see a black 99 on ebay in the "hanging chad" state I know who to call on.

Henri

P.S. It does not have everything. Its missing the BOSE system.
  • ab348ab348 Dartmouth, Nova Scotia, CanadaPosts: 1,773
    Thought I'd pop in to catch up on posts for the last couple of months. Back in the summer I was here asking about the 3.5 in a 2001 Aurora on a used lot here locally that I was considering. Ended up not buying it but got the engine anyway when I bought an '02 Intrigue. That is one sweet engine; I wonder what it would have been like if it was tuned to use premium fuel. I really like my Intrigue 2 months in; it's hard to understand why Olds couldn't sell it.

My boss bought a '96 Aurora a while back and absolutely loves it. I don't see many around here and every time I see it I'm reminded of howw big a car it really was. It seems quite imposing next to my Intrigue. But you can certainly see the styling resemblance as well.

Reading those articles from late 2000 and early 2001 that were posted a while back brought back a lot of bad memories. I blame Olds' demise largely on Karen Francis, who knew nothing about cars or the company and its history. Granted, there were probably a lot of villians who had a part in doing Olds in, but she seems to have been the chief culprit, making the division afraid of its own name and axing models that had a successful history. It's a real tragedy, especially when you drive cars like the Aurora and Intrigue and realize how good they were and how they could have been even better with further development. Shameful.

2011 Buick Regal Turbo, 1968 Oldsmobile Cutlass S Holiday Coupe

Well I think I found the car. Its just 1,310 miles away "as the crow flys." Wow, if only Zinc1 were still on the board. He could have me there in an hour, hour and a half (with traffic).

Henri
  • mg11mg11 Posts: 29
    Henry, how's the car search going? I keep my eyes and ears open too, it is hard to find a good '99 that is equipped just like you'd want, it seems they all seem to lack just one (or more) of the full package of required options! Maybe by the time I'm ready to shop the pickings will be better. Best of luck.
    that I've had the Aurora now. Wow, it sure flies by. I did the annual check-up and rotated the tires today (about 1,000 miles early, but I had to pull them all anyway). What a great car. The underbody is still quite clean, and the only trace of oil is the thin film around the drain plug from when I wipe it after changing it (I guess I should start wiping it and then after the plug is back, wipe it down with some cleaner). I love seeing all the aluminum in the suspension, and the aluminum block, pan, and tranny case. I almost wish the calipers weren't powder-coated so I could see that aluminum staring at me too. I've been having second thoughts about painting the "AURORA" logo on them because it would be so small. I think it might look weird.

Two years and 21,500 miles later and I'm still in love with it. :D
  • Was drving my 95 Aurora home this evening and as i get a few blocks within my house I start to smell a nasty odor like burned rubber or plastic. then it seemed obvious even in the dark the cabin filled with smoke, seemed to be coming from the driver side area or maybe thats all i saw. i pulled into my driveway and turned the key off and pulled it out. to my astonishment the engine was still on! it eventually turned off and saw smoke coming from the corner of the hood closest the driver.
    I havent gone back to investigate but am wondering if this has happened to anyone else and if so, What might it be?? just bought the car a month ago and has 145k miles. any clues? thanks
    My first guess would be a belt burning. Perhaps a pulley seized. Did your alternator light come on?

No idea why the car wouldn't shut off...
  • larryfllarryfl Posts: 214
    rjs may be right. The burning rubber smell does sound like a burning belt. The waterpump is on the drivers side of the engine and runs on a separate belt. That would be my first choice.

Good luck.
  • i looked it over as best as possible this morning. the belt to the right of the motor that can be seen at the top was intact and turning. i assume that was the water pump since it was the right side and on a seperate system alltogether than the front belt. the motor started up fine and turned off fine. one question though,, does the door chime sound when you open the door and there is No key in the ignition? i dont remember. it was doing that and i didnt think it did that before until i put the key in. there were no alternator lights or anything like that. the only light that stays on is the traction control but that was on for a long time before this happened and its assumed its a wheel speed sensor. ididnt run the motor long or drive it anywhere. there was no smoke in the few minutes i had it running. when i called the Olds dealer who was but 40 miles and a $150 tow away which Id simply like to avoid both... he said it could be a number of things which is what i expected to here and am hesitant to go indulge Olds shop hours and OEM parts prices. i guess i will try a local mechanic and have him stick it on the rack and see if he can find anything that was melted underneath as something was sure burning last night. i am beginning to remember why i used to have a car that had a factory warranty. sure there was a car payment back then but the warranty was sure nice.
  • the burning was apparently some electrical wires or component as the following things have now occured:
    door chime goes off without the key being in ignition. previously the key had to be in the ignition for the warning chime to go off.

interior dash lights are out. the warning light indicators and temp and radio light still is on, but the gauge illumination lights are all out.

AND the headlights will not go on! the signals work fine.

does anyone know what may have burned up to cause this? thanks for any help!
  • Well, it is getting very close to the time where I have to store my 2001 wheels. I am getting really depressed about it, as I have grown quite attached to the look. It doesn't help that this weekend I have to go through the unfourtunate task of emptying out my "car care locker" and moving all of the contents inside. I just have too much money wrapped up in all that stuff to let it sit in the garage and take the chance that it might freeze....(sigh)

Sometimes is does not pay to live in Michigan. Anyone down south want to adopt me for the next 3 or 4 months? :-)
  • the burning was apparently some electrical wires or component as the following things have now occured:
    door chime goes off without the key being in ignition. previously the key had to be in the ignition for the warning chime to go off.

interior dash lights are out. the warning light indicators and temp and radio light still is on, but the gauge illumination lights are all out.

AND the headlights will not go on! the signals work fine.

does anyone know what may have burned up to cause this? thanks for any help!
    I took the Classic to Pittsburgh and back to Newark this weekend. Averaged 23.4MPG give or take a few tenths. I was surprised at the low milage since I had just changed the plugs wires, etc.

However, the road is very hilly as you are driving through the mountains of Pa.

I think that affected my milage. I also noticed tahtthe car was not as agressive while in Pittsburgh. Dont know if the elevation had anything to do with it. Of course the other explaination is the extra four people and luggage in the car.
    I live in Virginia, and I keep my products indoors all year round. Heat isn't really good for them either. Plus, I have a feeling they will be around a long time, as I have more than I could possibly use. So the longer they stay good, the better. ;)

So the 17's are summer-only wheels ehh? I thought you got some MXV4+'s for them. You could've gone with some summer tires. Did you put snows on your 16's? Or just all-seasons?

Henri, 5 people, luggage, and hills means 23.4 mpg is actually pretty good. It also depends on how you drive, and what speed you tend to go. Mileage at 70 mph is typically worse than at 60 mph. Maybe it is the light antelope color? You might want to trade it in for a newer black Aurora. You'll make the money back in gas savings once you get that slick black paint. (Hey, I'm telling you what you want to hear. And besides, you once believed a salesman that told you the wheels on the 1995 pivoted to reduce the turning radius over the 1996 model.)
    AM I GOING TO LIVE THAT ONE DOWN???
  • marsha7marsha7 Posts: 3,670
    a used Caddy DTS or Jag XJ8L (I know, they are nothing alike), it was mentioned to me to consider the 2002 or 2003 Aurora V8...it was put to me as 90% of the DTS for 70% of the price...any quick comments on the car, any problem with Olds disappearing, is the car really that good (compared with "standard" GM quality, which often leaves much to be desired), who can repair it with no more Olds dealers, and what should a used 2002 or 2003 cost me, with, say, 15000 to 25000 miles???...long shot question...do Olds dealers still have new, leftover 2003 models, or are they all gone with the 2004s out now?...thanks
    My 2002 has been flawless. If you read through the past posts, you will find I absolutely love my Aurora.

You may be able to find some 2003's, and maybe even 2002's still on the lot new. Any GM can repair/service the car (like your local Caddy dealer). You can go to GMBuyPower.com and search for cars on the lot. You used to be able to search really wide areas, but not anymore. Though you can plug it different zip codes to see what is available further away (or just talk to your local Olds dealer...)

There is no 2004 model out for the Aurora. 2003 was the last model year. :(
  • Yeah, they are just summer wheels. I know first hand what the Michigan winters have done to my 16" aluminums, even with dilligent maintenance. I went with the Dunlop Sport A2's for the 2001's. They will tell you that they are "High Performance All-Season", but I don't think they would be my first choice for a winter tire. I did entertain the thought of putting a set of snow tires on the 16" rims, but I just bought that set of Turanzas a year ago. They worked very well for me last winter, so I didn't see the need to replace them. (BTW, I love the Dunlops for a 3 season tire)

My garage at home does really well with staying cool in the summer, but for some reason it gets really cold in the winter. So my products get to live out there for 8 months out of the year, which is nice, but once the outside temp starts to dip below 50 degrees on a frequent basis, I have to haul it all in. I think I get disgruntled about it because it signifies the end of summer for me, and the end of car-washing season too. I've got nothing against winter, but I hate having a dirty car!

-Brian
  • Read this guys post about his 96 sho. Other than the sho having a crappier interior and mucher uglier exterior, I read it and thought, hey, that sounds like us!!!!! esp. when he start's descriping the engine and how's its a sleeper. read on...

http://www.epinions.com/content_69706026628
    thanks for posting the information on the white 99 Aurora. However, I have my heart set on the black on black. thanks again for thinking of me.

Henri
    Yup, I've seen that. Neat stuff. Some of those shots of the rear, you can sort of see the exhaust. It looks like it is a bit different than the Corsa system they sold me. I also saw that pace car in real life at GM's headquarters in Detroit. I peeked under at the mufflers, and they looked a lot different than my Corsa's. They were probably louder so that people in the stands could hear it roar.
    http://www.motorsport.com/news/article.asp?ID=6894&FS=IMSA

I can't get enough of the IMSA stuff. IRL was cool, but they only competed against Infiniti there. IMSA was world competition.