Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Oldsmobile Aurora

Comments

• rjs200240rjs200240 Member Posts: 1,277
    No problem. So you replaced the pair? Did you perchance turn them on after replacing only the burned out one? I'd just be curious what they looked like against a wall or something. Glad they were brighter. I liked the XtraVisions in my wife's car, and I actually would have tried them for my conversion but they don't make 9005 XtraVisions, so I went with SilverStars. But I'd never seen HalogenPluses and XtraVisions side by side. I like Sylvania, and I'm glad they came through for you and it wasn't just marketing hype.

Other Steve (lol), yeah I put a 9005 in my low-beam housing. I wouldn't modify the housing if I were you, as it's quite expensive. I modified the bulb. It's easy to do. You need to trim down one of the tabs that lock it in (though, the more you trim, the more you'll have to play with the bulb rotating it to get a good beam pattern, since the tab determines the stop when rotating it). And you have to remove a little bump in the connector (on the bulb, not the car) so that they will hook up. These changes are just so a person wouldn't accidentally put the bulb in the wrong housing.

A 9006 (low beam) bulb pulls 55 watts, though they can pull up to 60 watts to allow for poor quality control I guess. The 9005 (high beam) bulb pulls 65 watts, not sure what the max is, I think 70 watts. But Sylvania makes a quality bulb, so I doubt they are on the edges of the specs much. So it is really about 5-10 watts more draw than the spec. This is sort of chancy, but not a big chance (IMO). It's much better than the 80-100 watt pieces of crap you can buy on Ebay (IMO). I would imagine the extra heat would be of similar proportion assuming both bulbs are about as efficient in turning electricity into light.

The big bonus is that a 9006 bulb puts out 1000 lumens. A 9005 bulb puts out 1700 lumens. Part of this is the increased wattage, and I think part is probably that the bulb isn't shielded on the tip. They are usually a flat looking shield, so I don't know if they reflect much of that light back or just absorb it. So for about 10-20% more current draw, you get 70% more light. In my opinion, though, if you adjust the bulb to where the beam pattern is maintained as much as possible (since you trim the tab, you can mess with the pattern by rotating it a few degrees each way) then the impact to other drivers in the form of dazzle or glare is pretty minimal. You can see how the beam cuts off below the glass on vehicles, and I've also seen the lights from the front in another car. They aren't bad, just a bit whiter (due to the SilverStar, not the 9005). Also, the light is mostly in those two central beams which are very tight and stay in your lane. The projectors really have good control of the light. I would guess that if you came over a rise that curved, and a car was in the right spot, a driver would get a pretty bright face-full. But then even with the regular lows, the central beam would be pretty bright. The high-beams are also still very useful since the lows put the light all down on the road. The highs light up everything else.
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,936
    I did replace the pair. And yes, out of curiosity, I did look at what they looked like with one new and one old bulb. The new bulb is slightly brighter and whiter, making the old bulb look somewhat yellow and dim. Couldn't have that! So I changed both. I like your idea of using 9005s in the low beam. I bet it makes a great difference, thou I am pleased with my upgrade. Didn't have time to do it thou...wife wanted relief from all day with our 2yr old, and was already annoyed that I had to spend money on the 'stupid car'. She just doesn't understand.. Oh boy.

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

sda: "wife wanted relief from all day with our 2yr old, and was already annoyed that I had to spend money on the 'stupid car'."

On behalf of all Aurora owners: Ouch...

Didn't you pick yours up for some ridiculously cheap $13k and some change?

You can get a feel for the brightness difference if you look at the photos I posted in the Acces&Mod section. It's pretty noticable in the photo of it half done.
    Didn't you pick yours up for some ridiculously cheap $13k and some change? That's me. Love the car. Can't wait to find a reason to go out and drive! That V8 growl makes me smile. Wife not as enthusiastic. She's not a car person. She knew I was a car nut from the day she met me, but no matter. Enjoy!

Hey, was reading your post in the Intrigue board. Figured I'd comment over here so as not to ruffle feathers.

Oh, also, fyi, didn't mean offense about the cheap thing. It's just you got such a lot of car for such a steal. It was funny your wife was complaining about $20 worth of headlamp. Nothing meant by it. :)

I think the cornering lamps on my wife's Regal are nice. My Corvette had cornering lamps too. They are quite useful, and it would be nice if the Aurora had them.

Give the steering wheel time. Maybe it's just because you are used to the Intrigue. Maybe they are different, but the Regal's wheel is very soft. It's like squishy soft. Even the plastic part near the spokes is. The Aurora's wheels has nice smoothly soft leather, and just a hint of squish to it. But it is thick and firm and comfortable. I find it to feel excellent in my hands. Comfortable yet serious, a bit of give, but a firmness hidden under that.

As far as acceleration, I think if you lined up next to an Intrigue, you'd see it's a fair bit quicker. I think part of it is that the Aurora is more comfortable and the suspension is more deceptive (it is quite firm handling without riding harshly at all).
    RJS200240. No offense taken. I just get tickled at my wife, and thought I'd share. I can't complain, thou. She takes good care of me. :)
    I agree the Aurora has a nice steering wheel. I don't think the Intrigue's steering wheel is as squishy as the Regal, but it had a nice softness to it, (it just felt supple) and unlike the Regal, it was a full leather wheel like in the Aurora. Power is certainly not an issue. The Aurora is more powerful, not significantly so. I think the Aurora will do 0-60 in about 7.5, and the Intrigue in about 8.0 sec. Different final ratio of 3.71 vs 3.05 also makes a difference. Don't get me wrong, I really like the Aurora, and have no regrets in buying it. The more I drive it, the more I appreciate how solid, refined, and fun to drive it is. I wouldn't mind a folding rear seat, cornering lamps, and better mpg. Wish lists are fun..

• stickking1stickking1 Member Posts: 247
    "...and just a hint of squish to it. But it is thick and firm and comfortable. I find it to feel excellent in my hands. Comfortable yet serious, a bit of give, but a firmness hidden under that..."

Jeez Bob, we're going to have to make this an adults only thread soon. You and the Aurora need to get a room!! :)
  • 95mushroom95mushroom Member Posts: 230
    you guys dont kiss yours' good night? ;)
    It's winter here in Michigan...last time I tried that my lips stuck to the hood...Not good.
  • blk97aurorablk97aurora Member Posts: 573
    My '97 has cornering lamps. I'm surprised they were dropped from the 2001+, but you guys have rear fog lamps.
    Hey Brian, I bet the next time you're at a dealership, you'll be feeling the steering wheel if they have any 01+'s on the lot... ;) :P
  • bryanttarvinbryanttarvin Member Posts: 23
    Hi everyone,

I wanted to let anyone who might consider buying a Final 500 Aurora know that they are just about all gone, but I know where you can still get a very nice optioned one if you are interested.

I visited the dealer I bought my car from over the holidays to finish up loose end promises made to me by my salesman as part of my negotiated deal on my car. I found out that they still had not sold the last Final 500 that they had. They originally were allocated and ordered two of them - my car and one other.

If you are interested in getting it, email me at the address in my profile. I can tell you more about it, where it is located, and who to contact to inquire about it. It has nearly all the Aurora amenities including the sunroof and CD/Cassette BOSE sound system.

I am NOT a car salesman and am only promoting it because I have one, (and LOVE IT!) and absolutely hate that it is languishing on the lot without a buyer who would truly appreciate such a wonderful luxury car that could be collectible one day.

If I had the money, I would buy it myself. However, I would like someone on this board to own it, if possible, to 'keep it in the family'. ;-)

Thanks!

Bryant Tarvin
    I'm looking for loaded '03 (nav, s/f. htd seats), whenever or not its a Final 500, I would go either way.

What options did yours came with?
  • 2k1olds2k1olds Member Posts: 98
    just purchased a 2001 3.5; this is the finest car I have driven(and I have owned many-just ask my wife).Just a few of things maybe someone can help with:
    1. There is a whistling noise coming from the defroster(but not all the time). Could this just be a piece of debris from previous owner? Anybody else had this problem?
    2.I drive with my hand on the shifter(know I shouldn't, just feels good. When tranny is downshifting to first gear, I feel something snapping(only way I can describe it)in the shifter. Car shifts great, just concerned about that "feel".
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    I too have an '01. To answer your questions:

1- I'm not sure what the whistling is. That is not present in mine.

2- The "click" feel in the shifter is normal. It happens at each shift point and I believe it has to do with moving the shifter to drive without the overdrive (3) or even lower gears. I think it is how the car "knows" how to react to a downshift if you chose to do it.

3- The most common problem on these cars seems to be a noise and loose feeling in the steering. The cars have one inherent design flaw-the intermediate steering shaft often needs lubrication and even replacement. The dealers are very familiar with this since there is a technical service bulletin on this issue.

Good luck. I hope you enjoy the car as much as I do.
    Just a guess here. There was a TSB on early 2001's to fix a condition where papers can be pulled from the glovebox into the vents. I think the fix is just some plastic shield installed. But if some paper got sucked up into the defroster outlets, that could account for the whistling. ;)
    Thanks Rocket and RJS,
    steering on the car so far is smooth as silk. Can I go to an Olds dealer to request service history?
    What do I need to get this? Cost? Car is still under factory warranty, according to carfax. I bought it in December with only 12,900 miles on it, and it still has 37,000/10 months left on factory warranty.
    Well, the Aurora and us will be moving to a new place near the end of February. The wife and I put a bid on a house this weekend and it got accepted. Needless to say it has a two-car garage. We are all quite excited! :D

The tough decision will be whether to decorate the garage with Aurora posters, or my study... ;)
  • javidoggjavidogg Member Posts: 366
    I for sure would go with the Aurora posters,
    also an Aurora banner too.

look on ebay there only like five bucks, for a poster that's 10"X8", you can frame them, some are bigger too.

Good luck with the new place.

Peace.
    I have several... The tough choice was whether to put them in the garage or in my study... ;)
    So we should send a bottle of wine for the wife and a tub of wax for you as housewarming gifts? :-)
    I go with the garage,

That would be like "The Mens" hang out, you know were all your buddy's drop by and all they see is the love for the Aurora.

The study room would have like a model 1/24 Olds Aurora IRL Pace car, (saw one on ebay today, that's were I got mine, I added the dubs though) you get the idea.

Peace.

Javs
    Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
  • HenryHenry Member Posts: 1,106
    You got to find the metal one of the car. It is a much nicer pace car model. I have them both (2 of each) and the IMSA model (the "2 door" Aurora).
    I saw a 1998 Aurora [VIN: 1G3GR62C5W4110204] on the net that I went to look at in person at a Nissan dealer. The car was not on his lot but he did tell me that it had a blown head gasket. Excuse me, but I have never heard of this being a posted problem on the Classics in the five years we have had this board.

WHat do you guys think? Is it worth taking a look at the car? Can anyone tell from the vin if it has the autobahn package?
    Well I've had my 01 4.0 for 2 months now, and I can really say it is quickly becoming one of my favorite cars I've owned. The car fits me like a comfortable shoe. It is the right size, good looks, rich interior, quality feel, energetic performance, solid handling. Really impressed with how tight/solid the car feels. No odd noises, or rattles. Decently quiet. Love the sound of the V8, and music from the Bose. Treats to the ear. I still have to take the car in and have the ISS lubed, and the check engine light diagnosed, but once this is sorted out, I will be smitten. No oil leaks, and oil is still at full on dip stick from oil change 1700 miles ago. :)

Autobahn is not part of vin coding. If the tire sticker on the driver door shows v-rated tires, then the Aurora is autobahn equipped.

Also, Problems and Solutions messages 1522 thru 1527 are about time-sert bolts for cylinder heads; I had assumed this was about blown gaskets, but maybe not.
    We had a debate about the autobahn awhile ago on gmforums. I dont think for sure the V-rated tires are 100% tell-tale because someone said V-rated tires were an option and I think I read too on some online review they mentioned under the options list, v-rated tired. But this could have he could have took v-rated tires as part of the autobahn package. But if the tire option is true, its defintely rarer than a autobahn.

The sure fire way is to look at the build code in the trunk and somewhere on the sheet there should be QQX. I believe for 96 or 97 and up its on the back of spare cover. The 95s are on the top of the right fender, where the 12-disk would be under the liner. On the sheet, QQX should be about 2/3 the way the down and in the first column , i think, or the 3th, from the left.
    Good point; RPO QQX is the most definitive evidence.

I have sales brochures for '95, '97, and '99. None of them show any tire options except combined with the autobahn package, but brochures aren't always accurate. I would think that if v-rated tires were available separate from autobahn that the tire sticker would not be different than standard. No? Unless the tire option would have included raising the 112 mph (or whatever) speed limiter.
    I noticed something on my 1999 Aurora, on the drivers front door, there is sticker that has the tire info and VIN number, along with that I noticed that is states "Aurora Special", my theory on that is that since I have the Gold package, maybe that's what it's for.

Since everyone talks about the QQX code, I think this kind of makes me think that this might be like an additional option or something for the Aurora on that year.

Javs.
    On a classic with a blown head gasket. I talked to my dealer and he said the only cause for a blown gasket at 76k miles is neglect. And we ALL know you can't neglect an Aurora.

Henri

. . . .And the search continues
  • woodranch1woodranch1 Member Posts: 35
    I just hit 126,000 on my 1998 and she is running like a bull. Saw a similar model in a parking lot and was stunned to see the odometer at 248,000. Could not tell what year but would have to assume a 1995.

Does a well-maintained classic go to 250,000 miles or was that a fluke?
    I'm at 158,000 with my '95
  • kayaman420kayaman420 Member Posts: 207
    The Northstar engines are damn near bulletproof. People hit 200,000 miles regularly.
  • peekamoosepeekamoose Member Posts: 7
    will it hit 139mph?
    while I am driving. (smile)
    Someone actually posted their pictures to the photo gallery. What a novel idea.
  • mrdubyamrdubya Member Posts: 200
    out of curiosity, how does neglect cause the blowing of a headgasket? i know this is a all to common problem on the cadillacs, and since there basically the same engine, i wouldn't be suprised if it happens to aurora's

on a bad side note, im leaking coolant from somewhere.....i guess when i change the oil tomorrow ill know if its really bad, im pretty sure if its in the oil that means either a cracked head, or blown headgasket.....it NEVER overheated, or even came close....
    I just bought a 2001 3.5 in December. Now after listening to all you guys, I want a Classic. I found a 1999 with 55,000 miles on it, very clean, but the steering is groaning. Can the ISS be lubed or do I need to have it replaced? I will be giving the 3.5 to my wife (she loves it), and the guy is asking only $5995. How about that!
  • 53rocket53rocket Member Posts: 65
    Regarding the steering noise, it is most likely a steering rack noise. Not sure what part of the country you live in but they typically will be noisier in cold weather. Be sure to check the power steering level as well.
    I though we all talked about this. :)
    at Brian and Henri!!

2k1Olds, obviously you haven't been listening to me! :D
    Hey that 1999 Aurora with 55,000 miles is not bad.
    Go for it.

In another hand about the photos being posted on the Photo section, man, that's nonsense.

I think if were all talking about a product for the Aurora or something in "Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Accessories & Modifications" or "Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Care & Maintenance" board,

We shouldn't get out of that board to go post some pictures of that discussion at the "Oldsmobile Aurora Owners: Photo Gallery", that's nonsense with that going back and forth stuff.

That's what I think.

Peace,
    Javi.
    Http://www.cardomain.com/id/javidogg
    I repeat: Someone actually posted their pictures to the photo gallery. What a novel idea.

(Notice I left out the part that the posted pictures were not of an Aurora.) (smile)
    Yeah...I felt bad enough posting a non-Aurora on the board here that I didn't feel like I could get it anywhere but the photo gallery. :) It'll be all 'Roara from here on out.
  • peekamoosepeekamoose Member Posts: 7
    This may be a different problem than the intermediate steering shaft on the new style auroras. I had a groan at low speed right turns (mostly) on my '98. There's a TSB that calls for an updated power steering hose. Wasn't cheap, but when I had it done it was warranty work. The problem isn't completely gone, but it's at a very acceptable level compared to the way it was. I think the bill was about $350. See service bulletin 990232008A
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Neglected cooling system causes corrosion. The head gasket on the engine I'm repairing for someone has corrosion on the metal edge. The gasket appears to be a sandwich with what looks like graphite in the middle. The outer gasket pieces have delaminated from the middle and the coolant appears to have gotten to two of the studs and worked its way down the studs. One of them has pulled the threads in its hole. I'm going to timesert all the threads on that head, that ia i'm going to once the temp. stays more than a couple degrees above zero!
  • mike98cmike98c Member Posts: 293
    Core is steel with graphite sandwich surrounding it on closer inspection. The gasket rotted from the inner edge of the gasket outward from the water jacket opening.
  • north5north5 Member Posts: 3
    I bought an 01 Aurora in December. It has 41k miles on it. I'm crushed ! When I drive it I hear all kinds of inside rattles and sounds when the car goes over almost any bumps or any road surface that is not totally smooth. Noises sound like they come from the dash, under the steering wheel, and different interior parts that just sound loose. Also the suspension has you feeling every bump like you went over a major pothole. It's a great looking car, white diamond,sunroof, tan leather, but what a shame as to what seems like a poor quality build. I have a 99 intrigue with 90k miles on it that rides like a dream and is tight as a drum. Even the arm rest creeks with my arm resting on it! The other day when it was temp was 15 outside the heating and cooling system flashed red lines,,no other display and the AC came on! I guess I should have done a better job test driving this car! I thought it would be a dream. Anyone have any suggestions besides sell it?
    I think my 01 4.0 steering makes similar noises. I, too, had an Intrigue before the Aurora, and it's steering also made noises. I had the ISS lubed, then replaced. This cured the noise on the Intrigue. Hopefully by lubing or replacing the ISS on the Aurora will cure the problem. My car was manufactured in 9/00 and has 55000mi. Car is tight and quiet with the exception of the ISS. Perhaps when you get yours fixed you will find the noises you hear really were from the ISS and not separate noises as you indicate.