Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

Comments

• ggesqggesq Member Posts: 701
    The new G is much better IMHO than the previous generation. Better materials, better interior design, more powerful standard engine w/ performance.

That being said, the TL still outclasses the G because the G still doesn't muster up enough emotion in me to buy it over the TL. If I were looking for a sedan based strictly on performance it wouldn't be neither of these vehicles, I would go for the 3er i.e. a base 335i w/ a manual tranny and sport package. That will do the trick.
    Because I'm not looking for that, the TL wins easy over the G- subjectively speaking better interior and exterior styling, better materials, better gas mileage, classier, better short throw manual, high revving engine & legendary Honda reliability.
    Yeah, the TL wins in IMHO. When the next generation TL shows up, the ELLPS segment will be rocked again.

IMHO, I absolutely admire the Accord for what it is. It is clearly the benchmark in its respective segment even with its aging platform. I can't wait to see the 08 Accord. Even more, I can't wait to see the next TL. ;)
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,726
    "Folks, this is a discussion that can never end." And it never will...

I agree with you, Brian. Only the person doing the comparing/contrasting can proclaim the best car/value. (More than likely) everyone has different criteria and weightings of those criteria when making a choice. In my case I chose the TL over the G35 because I found the exterior and interior style to be clearly superior as well as the cockpit layout and materials. Also, the smoother/quieter ride of the TL. And mpg was a consideration as well as FWD actually being a plus based on my lifestyle.

Now there would be those who would deride my decison simply because I chose FWD over the G35 rwd (or AWD). Or the fact that the G has a nice rumble/roar from the engine/exhaust. And, hey, they are correct! For them, not me however. I can't be wrong: my criteria, my money, my decision. I just don't think people really think about it when writing in such absolutes: "The Accord is clearly a better value than the TL!" For you, the Accord buyer, yes it is. Not for me the TL buyer...

Whatever car you decide is the right car for you, is it worth $xxx? Of course it is...

And, no doubt a car puchase is emotional (at least for me). It's not like I'd put 18 coats (so far) on my fridge or soon to be new hot water heater... ;)

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    I just don't see many people cross-shopping the Accord and TL. Those who are looking at one, are usually not looking at the other. When you were shopping for a car, and bought the TL, did you consider the Accord too? I doubt it.
    You could be right, I can't speak for other people. It's certainly possible: "I think I really want a TL, but not sure if it's worth the financial (emotional decision?) stretch for me. I should definately compare/contrast and evaluate all the factors before I make a decision." And so the cross-shopping begins...

Nope, I did not consider the Accord (or hundreds of other very fine autos). I was looking in the ELLPS category (e.g. TL, G, 3, A4...), which I don't consider the Accord a member of. Also, a car, to attract my attention, must first have style! (My parents have owned Accords, great cars but never once was style a factor...).

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

Also, a car, to attract my attention, must first have style!

This is one point where I think Accord buyers are different from TL buyers. For instance, if I were going to buy a car in the next one or two years, it would be an Accord (been an Accord lover since 91), and I say that not knowing what the car will look like in two years. What the Accord looks like, will not matter. While "Style" is first on your list, it's near the bottom of my list.
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    I just don't see many people cross-shopping the Accord and TL.

Well I did. I went with the TL for many reasons. As a Honda lover I seriously considered the Accord EXV6, but the TL's huge list of extras and beautiful styling won me over.
    Indeed, Elroy. And both of our lists are correct...

To your advantage, it sounds like you are a bit more practical than I when it comes to cars. Advantage to your bank account, too!

Does the TL have adjustable pedals? That would be the only option I would have wanted, that the Accord did not offer (me tall, she short).
    No, the TL does not have adjustable pedals.

You've indicated to some degree that your significant other drives the Accord. Would the memory seat function not be a desirable option also? I do know that the TL comes with that.
    Adjustable pedals would be more help, because she could sit further away from the airbag. It's not a major issue, just an option I would like to have.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    TL does have adjustable pedals...just get a couple of wooden blocks, duct tape..... :P
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    My former boss (from my college days) was only jockey height, and he actually used wood blocks and duct tape. He offered to drive me home one day after work in his station wagon, and out of courtesy I sat in the front bench seat. I was in pain the next couple of days :cry:
  • robo_geekrobo_geek Member Posts: 20
    I'm a cross shopper. New Accord vs. Used TL

For an Acura-Certified 06 TL with about 20K miles, it's around $28-29 (no-NAV) A 07 Accord EX-L V6 with NAV is about $26. (06 TL with NAV is around $32K)

Left Brain Says: The TL has less rear leg room, a larger turning circle, and the rear seat does not fold. It rides a bit stiffly, and the tires are expensive and short lived. Visibility out the rear is so-so on the TL and insurance rates are steep. The car is too pricey with NAV, imho.

Right Brain Says: The TL is COOL. Call it a BMW-poser, but it has some serious bling. It feels like you're sitting in a jet fighter, and Acura has made (feel free to flame me) their best shot at melding the feel of a BMW 5 series with the good qualities of the Accord. When you wind it out to 6,000 rpm, it's a rush of Formula1 sound and acceleration like those old V8 cars I dearly love. It's not as tossable as cars like the old Preludes, but it inspires confidence and feels very taut and precise.

If you did not know that the TL is based on the Accord platform, you would never guess it by looking at it or driving it.

I'm still undecided, and plan to test drive both of them some more, as long as my 'salesman tolerance' levels can be maintained.
  • tl_2007stl_2007s Member Posts: 34
    I owned an Accord for 12 years and a Prelude for 13 years. Both were excellent cars. I was actually very sad parting with my Prelude. Now, I have a TL-S and I really like it. It is comfortable, has all the nice gadgets and has lots of HP. They are all nice cars.
    Wow, must be a bit of a cultural shock jumping into a 2007 TL-S from the 1994 Prelude!
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    insurance rates are steep.

Huh? I went from an 02 4cyl Accord to an 06 TL and my insurance premium went up about $10/ month.

Is that steep in your household?
    Yes, it was. I think I waited too long to get a new car. So many new features and the ride is great too.
    Similar experience. Replacing 1993 Prelude with 2007 TL Type S made a difference of around $ 160 increase annually.
  • autoboy16autoboy16 Member Posts: 992
    THE RIGHT SIDE RULES AND IS ALWAYS RIGHT(literally)!!

-Cj
  • zeep6785zeep6785 Member Posts: 7
    The 2008 Accord has to change things a good bit, especially until the 2009 TL comes out. I'm in the market now and I'm not sure whether to go for a 2008 Accord or TL.

I'm thinking that the new Accord and impending EL model change has to put some pricing pressure on TL.

Thoughts?
  • mf15mf15 Member Posts: 158
    I waited until I saw the pictures of the 08 accord, do not like it. Leased a 07 TL on monday. There is not too much price pressure yet, for an 07 3 year 10K mile lease, my drive out was 3600 with a 402 month including tax payment.
    That is the national Acura lease deal and I could not get any dealer to do better. Now that I find out that they made the accord bigger and it has no HID lights I really dont like it. Acura will keep their prices up until something really digs into TL sales, TSX lease deals are good, but for me it lacked power. Old Mike
  • dgeblerdgebler Member Posts: 19
    Compared to the new '08 Accords my '04 TL is starting to look a little dated. My 48 mo lease is about up and I need to decide whether to buy my TL out for $17K or buy into a new Accord for $25K.

Any thoughts?
    Can you wait until the next generation TL comes out?
  • jaybee85jaybee85 Member Posts: 25
    AHFC recently told me they would extend my wife's Accord lease by up to 24 months, same payment plus any sales tax. The residual or buyout number decreases each month. Call AHFC, if that's your lessee - phone number on your lease or accompanying documents - to see if you have this option.

If so, maybe extend your TL lease for a year and see what the new TL looks like, maybe lease or buy that. It's said that will be a total redesign, probably like the new Accord, plus all-wheel drive (SHAWD), and more expensive.

That said, the new Accord is attractive on its own. I am considering the EX-L V6 nav, instead of the used RL I have had in my sights. Now driving a 1999 3.5 RL.
  • exb0exb0 Member Posts: 539
    Depending on how many miles you have the car; $17K is probably a good price for a 04 TL. I just tried to trade my 04 TL with no NAV w/ 30K on the clock, and several dealers quoted me $20K for it. You can also get Acura-Care extended warranty for up to additional 5 years for about $1400, just google Acura-Care.
  • dgeblerdgebler Member Posts: 19
    As the '08 Accords come out, the residual prices of the '04 TL's are declining fast. With the '08 Accord EX-L being under $30K, it's harder to justify paying $24K for an '04 TL. The dealer I spoke to in Boston wouldn't offer me more than $19K trade-in for a '04TL (MT no-navi) with 46,000 miles.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    57% residual on a 4-year-old car is very very high! Leases of TLs and Accords offer that kind of residual, but only after 3 years.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• wolveseatsheepwolveseatsheep Member Posts: 41
    I'm comparing the Accord and the TL also. I can't stomach shelling out 30+ for a sedan so my comparison is a new accord vs a 2-3 year old TL.

The TL, well what's not to love. It's a bit small in the back seat and I haul adult friends around enough that it's a consideration.

I like the extra backseat room in the Accord, but, oddly perhaps, I can't get over the huge, hideous and difficult audio control layout. Am I alone thinking they did a horrible job designing it and are going backwards in that regard? The buttons are huge, way too spread out, and non-intuitive. I thought the previous generations weren't so hot either, but this is worse. I honestly miss the mid-90's models (in that regard only) when I could rest my wrist on the automatic shifter and access all the buttons with my fingers without even looking because I knew them so well.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,936
    Well, for one thing, a 2-3-year-old TL is better equipped than a comparably priced new accord. I'm seeing '04-'05 TLs for mid $20k. You'd have to buy a new LX Accord to keep it that cheap.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• bug4bug4 Member Posts: 370
    I have two things to offer:

1st) I had every intention of buying a TL when I decided to purchase my new EX-L Accord in September. The TL's are SWEET, but, they will be redesigned next year and I wasn't willing to have a one year old car that looked old. Also, IMHO, I think the TL design is starting to look dated. Frankly, although the new accord is hardly perfect, I prefer its exterior design to the that of the TL. With regard to the TL, I don't think there will be huge price gap between it and a nicely equipped Accord (particularly if you are willing to wait a few more months). I found some 07 TL's still for sale in Boulder, Colorado and they were eager to get rid of them. I was able to get an initial telephone offer of $30,200 for a base level TL. Of course, there likely are no 07's remaining - but the 08 isn't much different, is it? At the end of its model run and with new competition from the Accord and other manufacturers, I think there will be smoke'n great deals on TLs in the next couple of months (and certainly within the next year). For me, I simply decided I would rather spend 26k on an Accord than 30k on a TL. Haven't regretted my decision yet :D

2nd) Audio in the Accord. I have a very different opinion about the complexity and design of the Accord's audio system. Without commenting on the nav. system, I think the audio is very well designed and intuitive. It looks complex, but isn't. I'm confident that if you decided to buy the Accord, you would be very happy with the design and would master its operation within 10 minutes or so. The actual quality of sound is a different issue. I think the "upgraded" stereo in the EX-L is "acceptable," at best.
  • jamese777jamese777 Member Posts: 18
    "The actual quality of sound is a different issue. I think the "upgraded" stereo in the EX-L is "acceptable," at best."

I would be interested in what you think needs to be improved about the upgraded audio system to make it excellent.
    I would have to respectfully disagree regarding the TL styling. I think the current TL may go down as one of Honda's best style jobs, if not the best! To me, it still looks as fresh today as it did when it came out in '04. In fact, I prefer the older ones than the '07-'08 with their "freshening touches", ie. tail lights.

Usually, I get tired of a car after about 2 - 3 years, but I've been reluctant to trade in my '04 TL 'cause it still looks so good, despite my yearning for a BMW! ;)
    Accord stereo: Here is what I find is "wrong" with the 270 watt stereo in the 08 Accords:

1) At anything more than low to mid volumes, the mid frequencies seem to disappear. The stereo has ok treble and good low-bass, but the mid frequencies just don't appear. The problem is exacerbated by the lack of adequate frequency control / equalization on the audio system. A stereo with 7 speakers and 270 watts deserves a true equalizer -- not simply a base and treble control (with an added subwoofer control).

2) The subwoofer seems to be nothing more than an "add on" with a separate 100 watt amp. Many systems with a separate sub use cross-over frequency limiters so that the regular speakers are not trying to produce the low-end frequencies that can be handled by the sub. I don't know if these cross-overs are used on the Accord or not -- but if they are, they aren't doing their job! The regular speakers are trying to pump out lots of bass. This might not be a problem if they could handle it -- but they can't! The regular speakers are either 1) inadequate to handle bass at volumes, or 2) are underpowered and do not have the wattage reserve necessary to produce crisp/clean bass (bad speakers sound bad as do good speakers which are under-powered). You might say, "well then just turn down the bass on the stereo" -- great idea, but the "bass" control affects about 1/2 the audio range. So, if you turn down the bass, you are loosing way more than just the low-end bass that is also being produced by the sub.

3) The sound simply is not well-rounded. There is ample high frequency and great very low frequency. But, everything in-between suffers at mid-high or higher volumes. The subwoofer clearly is frequency limited and does not even attempt to produce anything other than low-bass sound. The regular speakers are then left to take up that slack and, as mentioned above, they just can't get it done at mid-high volumes. The mid-range and low-high range are very weak. I assume this is a problem with the speakers, themselves. But, it could also relate to a number of other things including speaker position (since the higher the frequency, the more direct path it needs to have to the ear.)

4) The stereo simply does not do a great job of sound imaging. I listened carefully to the upgraded 400+ watt system in the Toyota Camry. It does a great job of sound imaging (and sounds WAY better all-around). The sound imaging /balance issue is particularly hideous if you sit in the back seat of an Accord. The entire Accord sound experience is limited to the front seats. I'm not necessarily knocking Honda for this since it is very common in all budget-minded sedans. But, the new Accord's system should be more balanced given the fact that it is now a big passenger car, clearly intended to seat 4, not 2, passengers. :)

With regard to the LX audio systems, I am very confident when I say that the stereo in my 98 LX Accord was considerably better sounding than that offered in the new LX models. My 98 Stereo was underpowered and would not perform at volumes, but at least it sounded very balanced, with great bass, at lower volumes.

Having said all this, I think the upgraded stereo in the 08 Accords will be acceptable to most drivers. It does produce impressive bass! I am confident that the 400+ watt system in the Camry is much better, but I didn't purchase an Accord for its stereo system.
    bodble2 -- yea, didn't mean to imply that the TL looks bad . . I just about bought one before I decided on the Accord. :D
    Thanks for the responses, all very helpful in my (typical) over-analysis.

With regard to the TL, I don't think there will be huge price gap between it and a nicely equipped Accord (particularly if you are willing to wait a few more months). I found some 07 TL's still for sale in Boulder, Colorado and they were eager to get rid of them. I was able to get an initial telephone offer of $30,200 for a base level TL. Of course, there likely are no 07's remaining - but the 08 isn't much different, is it? At the end of its model run and with new competition from the Accord and other manufacturers, I think there will be smoke'n great deals on TLs in the next couple of months (and certainly within the next year).

Excellent point. While I fully understand why and how TLs hold their value, I find the current resale values of 2006s and 2007s to not make a lot of sense in the $27k and $29k ranges respectively. Some 07s were going for $30k brand new from dealers unloading them in the last 60 days - makes it hard for me to understand why anyone would pay $29 or $30k for one with 10k miles or $27k for one with 25k miles. I see dealers listing used 07s with 10k miles for $35k - wtf.

Fortunately for me, I can live with my 95 accord for a while longer and I think this is one of those cases where "wait and see what happens" is in order over the next 10 months or so. I have a feeling the 08 TLs will eventually get discounted, very likely more than the 07s were due to the 09 new style on its heels. Hopefully with that will be an adjustment in 1-2 year old vehicles as well if/when it happens.

At least it sounds like a good theory for now ;)
    Yeah, what Bodble2 said.

Except my yearning is for a Jag XK. Or Audi A/S5... Sorry, I'm superficial, a fool for a pretty face. :surprise:

Whew!!! I'm a fool for a pretty face too. . . .that new Jag XK looks fantastic!!!! However, its what's on the inside that counts :blush: . . did you look at the pictures of the Lincoln-esque interior on that Jag? It would have to be Bentley-like quality to make me like such a conservative look!
    I spent a bit of time in an XK coupe at last year's Auto Show (and will again later this month!). Nice interior, conservatievly styled with nice materials. Lincoln interiors are just terrible in both design and materials from what I've seen, e.g. the LS.

For about the 3000th drawing in a row, I've not won the lottery. No Jag for me... :(

• mchalmersmchalmers Member Posts: 30
    I am with you. Can't figure out the pricing on 1-2 year old TL's. My local deader has a few 06 models asking right around $28K with 26K miles on them. Are they trying to make it look like these cars are selling around this number? A person would be crazy to pay this for a used TL when an 07 or 08 is just a few thousand more.

MC
    I looked at the new Accord and like it, though I think it is getting a little large. I want to move on from my beloved '99 3.5 RL(approaching 100,000 miles) to a SH-AWD model. No Accord sedan has that yet, nor does TL.
    I could buy a new or used new model RL, but I'm not sure about this car. The other thought is to wait for the new SH-AWD '09 or '10 TL and in the meantime buy or lease a new or used TL or new Accord EX-L V6, deferring the SH-AWD. I would hold onto the intermediate newer car for 1-3 years, then trade for the new TL.
    I don't want to hold onto my '99 much longer, as I am concerned about possible repairs and breakdown, and I understand that its value drops greatly after 100k miles.
    What do you guys think would be the best path to the new TL?
    Jaybee85 - I think it might be a good time to try out the Accord. Depending on where you live and if the Accord forums are to be believed, there are some GREAT deals on the new 08 Accords right now (near or at invoice). The Accord forum prices seem to be believable since they are consistent with the current e-bay sales. Step into an EX-L V6 Accord for somewhere around $26k and drive it for a couple of years. Since it is the new model, it likely will hold its re-sale value better than a TL or RL model that is being replaced (trading in a 07 or 08 TL right after the new TL is released is likely not the best time to maximize your re-sale value).
    Your dealer isn't going to start with a low price and try to negotiate up to a higher price! Do a bit of research, find out what the true market is for used TLs and go in and negotiate a fair price. Which will be lower than the initial ask. If not, on to the next dealer...

While waiting for the Evil Wife's Lexus to be serviced, I noted a used '05 TL on the Lexus lot. Base TL, auto. Just like mine, only over a year old (at that time) with ~16,000 miles. The asking price was higher than the MSRP in '05!!! I mentioned that bit of incongruity to a salesman and his reply, with a smile, was "Well, we can't start low and negotiate the price up..." Gotta appreciate a bit of honesty!

bug4, thanks for your thoughts. The new Accord looks good and bests or equals the TL in many areas, e.g. size and features. I am considering it, but I'm held back somewhat because of our long and very good relationship with Acura - 4 Legends, 1 3.5RL, 3 Integras; it's hard to let go, even for awhile. I agree that the 2008 TL - and RL - may not be worthwhile considering the likely model chamge next year.
    Another thought is to buy a used TL and trade for the 2009 or 2010 TL later. Again, there may be a big drop in resale value due to the new Acura models and the new Accord as well. There is a big drop from the 2004 to 2003 used car values on KBB etc., reflecting the new TL series of 2004. Asking prices on used 2005 and 2006 TL's seem high now, but may fall a lot when the 2009's arrive.
    Maybe by the time I figure it out, the new TL will be here and my 1999 RL will still be worth a fair number and won't have bankrupted me for repairs in the meantime.
    jaybee85 sez:
    "The new Accord looks good and bests or equals the TL in many areas, e.g. size and features."

Size, definitely. Features? Which Accord features best the TL?

I agree with whomever said the Accord is getting a little large - it feels like a full size sedan inside, not a mid-size any more.

And I still can't get over the new accord's hideous dash layout. Note to Honda ergonomics gurus: If you're going to choose to put different size knobs on a radio console, the largest one whould always be volume.

• bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    haha! Exactly right about the knobs on the dash, I actually grabbed the biggest knob, thinking it was the volume, and it totally didn't turn the volume up, the sales guy was like, Wrong knob, as different functions were coming up on the navi screen. I was like, Wow, okay, this is different! I can see their logic, because of the functions of the navi, and lack of touch screen. The whole dash, can be a bit overwhelming, I was lost when trying to figure everything out, I asked the sales guy, and he had NO clue on what he was doing, but yet, he treated me like the ditz! I think the interior looks great, classy! The EX, offers alot!
  • ahightowerahightower Member Posts: 539
    Edmunds TMV seems to indicate used 2003 TL's are actually a little cheaper than comparably equipped 2003 Accords. What's up with that? A lot of people drinking the Honda kool-aid, I guess. Not to say they're not worth it, by all accounts they're excellent vehicles. But I suspect many people do not cross shop Accord and TL, assuming that the Honda will be cheaper. The advertised prices for 2003 TL's in my area seem to be a couple thousand higher than TMV, I'll see if they're willing to negotiate. Will be searching the TL forums to research reliability and common issues to look out for. But, I'm pretty excited at the prospect of getting a premium car for less than Honda money! Even if something does go wrong, at least I'll be going to an Acura dealer for service, with some decent coffee and customer service.
    Since these cars all have steering wheel mounted controls now, the large volume knobs are not really necessary. I hardly ever use that knob now.
    Yeah, but I still wouldn't like it when my passenger reaches over to adjust the controls on the steering wheel while I'm trying to drive! :sick: :P
  • kennyg8kennyg8 Member Posts: 225
    The only button that my passenger can touch on the dash is the passenger temp control button. As long as I am in the driver/pilot seat, I am the MASTER of the boat/rocket :)
    Since the passenger is not driving, he/she should be able to find the volume knob on the center stack. There actually is one, right? :confuse: The A/C control is the one I adjust the most (on the dash) while driving, so I would hope those are closest to the driver's side. Of course with auto climate control, those aren't adjusted very often either. Usually before I even put the car in gear.