Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

1171819202123»

Comments

• wolveseatsheepwolveseatsheep Member Posts: 41
    Well, I touch the radio controls a lot - especially with XM or Sirius or a CD loaded down with mp3 folders. While scrolling up and down through pre-sets on the wheel is helpful, it is limited. And the look and feel of that console on the Accord is just not friendly to me when it's time to reach over and go diretly to the song (on a cd) or channel (1 of 20 on XM or Sirius) I want in an instant.

I have decided that for me, a loaded Altima SL w/NAV is a much more likely comparison to the Acura TL than is the '08 Accord. In addition to my great dislike of the new Accord console, I love the Altima's keyless FOB with auto lock/unlock and push button start/stop (I'm sure the 09 TL will have one - can't imagine why Honda skipped it this year). The Altima is still smaller than the growing Accord (which is approaching full-size status imo!). And the Altima is a far better looking machine on the outside than the new Accord. I also prefer the NAV 3D view on the Altima to the 2D Honda map.
  • joelheljoelhel Member Posts: 2
    I'm considering either a fully loaded Accord w/Nav or a TL. I understand that they both share an Accord frame but what else do they share? Drivetrain? Suspension? What are the real differences between Accords and Acura TLs?

Looking for facts - not opinions.

Thanks - Joel
  • blaneblane Member Posts: 2,017
    wolveseatsheep,

You wrote "I love the Altima's keyless FOB with auto lock/unlock and push button start/stop". It's interesting that you are intrigued with the pushbutton starter. All of the U.S. manufacturers had those for many years until they discontinued them a few years after World War II ended. Pushbutton starters replaced the old cranks below the front bumpers. The much more secure ignition key technology became commonplace after the demise of pushbutton starters.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,686
    The most important "facts" are the ones that you discover. Sure, you can read about 'em and solicit advice here. But, my advice: Go drive both of them at length! Then figure out which one best meets your needs/wants/desires/budget...

TL did it for me.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    The Acura:

More Expensive
    Faster
    Sharper Handling
    Rougher Riding
    Overall More Luxurious
    Older in Design
    Smaller Inside (I believe techinically a compact by the EPA but could be wrong)
    Has a Better Warranty

Go drive them and form some opinions.
  • joelheljoelhel Member Posts: 2
    Let me restate my question.

They share the same frame. What other components are the same or different?

Those are the kind of "facts" I'm looking for.

Joel
  • robertsmxrobertsmx Member Posts: 5,525
    They don't share frame, they share platform (sharing frame would generally imply that the difference is merely on the sheetmetal). And besides dimensional differences, there are some structural too. TL gets more chassis reinforcements, and more aluminum too (for example, front subframe in Accord is hydroformed steel, while it is aluminum-alloy in TL).
    The differences are incredibly numerous. What I listed are the differences that would be felt or noticed to a driver.
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    Then you left out 2 features which I feel are significant plusses for the TL -- memory driver seat, and xenon headlights.
    Besides features, there are differences in detailing as well. One can see it in quality of material, and how they are assembled. There is a different design to the trunk hinge, carpeting, greater noise insulation (you can see that in wheel wells too), better leather, etc. Even the look under the hood spells the difference...
    2008 Accord
    2004 TL

There was another difference between TL and Accord (and TSX) even with all of them having dual zone climate control. TL came with dual mode on top of it (Accord and TSX had single mode). This may not hold true anymore if the new Accord has dual mode as well (I do see a "dual" button on the climate control).
    Since the Gen VII Accord came out Dual Climate has been available. It is (and has been) on the TSX as well ever since it came out.

Accord: image

And, don't get me started on the engine compartment; I want to see the good stuff under the hood!!! Don't hide it under plastic!
    Dual zone/single mode (Accord and TSX) versus dual zone/dual mode (TL).

You may like to see stuff under the hood, but luxury brands are more about minor touches like these, where things have to have better finish. You open the door in an Accord, and the foot-plate is plastic. In TL, you have well finished stainless steel plate. Little details like these are key to differentiating cars, from mainstream to upscale. Most folks miss these details when comparisons like these are drawn. To some, these differences carry value, while it be be superfluous for others (hence "luxury"). Here is another comparison, this time between RL and TL...

Note the windshield wipers. They are completely flush and hidden in the RL, not so in the TL, an example of minor detailing that will often go unnoticed to the casual observer.
    Help me with the "mode" thing please. Do you mean which vents are open?
    Yes, and both sides can be operated independently (the driver may want only dash vents, while the passenger may want dash and floor vents). Single mode will allow only one of the two settings for both zones.

I believe MDX has taken it even further with tri-zone/tri-mode climate control but thats for another thread.
  • kkrtreklkkrtrekl Member Posts: 1
    Joel,

I'm surprised I haven't seen this mentioned. Maybe it's just a given. It is something that has me a bit annoyed. The 6-cylinder Accord has a 3.5 liter variable cylinder management (not sure of exact name) engine. It has more horsepower and torque than the 3.2 liter TL engine and gets better gas mileage: 3 MPG highway, 1 MPG city. Don't know why this engine was not in the TL. Maybe it was not seen as appropriate for a sports sedan, but I sure would have preferred about 10% better gas mileage and the ability to use regular fuel.

The 2008 Accord was not out yet, at least where I live, when I bought my ('08) TL.
    TL is unlikely to get VCM. Unlike Accord, TL isn't primarily about value. And it has 3.2/V6 in base model since it was launched at a time when Accord had 3.0. This is bound to happen during transition period. When 2003 Accord arrived, its V6 has 240 HP, while TL (base) had 225 HP. So, this is not unprecedented.

That said, while you can't run regular grade in TL, you can get pretty good mileage from it. I do (mine is an 06).
  • havokhavok Member Posts: 18
    I picked up a TL after considering the '08 Accord. The current gen TL blows it away. You really need to drive both to compare. Once you do you'll know the TL is an entirely different animal, and you're comparing apples to oranges. To be fair, these cars aren't at the same price point and do not compete with each other.
    Notable standouts:
    luxury sedan
    flawless interior fit and finish
    just the right size (I don't want a Buick)
    2 memory seat function tied to indvidual transmitters
    un-castrated 260 HP V6, w/nice growl
    touch-screen NAV
    perforated leather interior
    rear AC/Heat vents
    HIDs
    BTW, the buying experience is like comparing Nordstrom's to Walmart.
    The engine in the regular TL actually has less juice than the Accord V6. But I agree that the memory seats, HID, and the tidier size would be reasons enough to tip the scale in favour of the TL. Plus, despite being in the last year of its model cycle, I think the TL still has it over the Accord in exterior and interior styling.
  • jkgreer2jkgreer2 Member Posts: 42
    The above posts are accurate on differences between the cars. We have an 04 Accord V-6 and an 04 Acura TL. I prefer driving TL, 6 speed manual with Brembo brakes. Wife prefers driving Accord V-6, automatic. The Accord, although restyled to be very impressive, is still a 'floater' car by my definition. It takes very little attention to drive safely, and corners adequately, but not great. The Acura TL drives great, if you get 6 speed manual, has more interior extras, has better styling exterior, IMO, and corners much better than Accord V-6. If you seek an automatic TL, then both are not much fun to drive, IMO, but the extras on TL would still lead me to buy a TL, which I will do again in 2009 when/if a TL, 6 speed manual (I hope), with Super Handling AWD, is offered. If you really want to have fun, buy and drive the Honda S2000, which is like driving a motorcycle with 4 wheels. My TL sits in the garage most of the week, since I prefer driving S2000. Neither Accord V-6 or TL are bad decisions, especially when compared to what Honda/Acura offers for the price vs. other cars on the market. Good luck and have fun. Live is Short.
    Very accurate observations based on what I can tell. I have an Accord (06), and it handles well, but it's not sports car. It is nice to have a smoother ride on my daily commute (bumpy!), but carving corners would be more fun in the Acura.

For most, I suspect the price difference will be the deciding factor.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    Ya, my 06 accord rides well too, but it is a little bumpy. I really like the stiffer ride, but on some bad roads, it totally is not fun, you'll feel it all. Someone had told me that they preferred the S2000 over corvettes and several other cars, because of the S2000's fun factor. He in fact just bought out his lease. You know what, it is really hard to find that car that has the huge fun factor! That is what we all look for.
  • ideadirectideadirect Member Posts: 5
    This is a valid question. Many differences are outlined below. I looked at an Accord as well but had to pass because it was too big. I have a shallow garage due to some cabinetry on my side and I personally prefer smaller cars. The TL will barely fit but not the accord.
    I just wanted to point out that the pricing is not as different as it appears. Since the Accords are new, they are less discounted. For example, the TMV pricing is:
    Accord V6 EX-L with Nav
    MSRP = $30,895
    TMV = $30,000

TL with Nav
    MSRP = $36,940
    TMV = $34,427 - $2000 incentive = $32,427

If the difference was $6000, it would be a tougher call. With the difference in reality being about $2500, I would have to say the better value is the TL. You could also skip the Nav and get a TL for the same as the Accord.

Others pointed out differences. I have to admit I didn't study them too closely. The TL benefits included:
    - better warranty
    - HID lights (often nearly a $1000 option if available but standard on TL)
    - dual zone climate controls
    - more advanced trip computer
    - better quality interior finish
    - electronic parking aid
    - memory seats (seats, mirrors, steering wheel and even climate settings)
    - cassette??
    - 8 speakers vs. 7 in
    - reverse tilt side mirrors
    - rear/turn LED lights
    - DVD Audio, DTS CD's surround sound 8 speaker system.
    - remote entry with driver recognition

These are just some of the things. Most are minor but they do add up to a quality presentation. Even with features both cars share, there are often subtle imrovements in quality with Acura. For example, they both have Tire Pressure monitors. The Accord will show a low tire icon light. The Acura will actually show you which tire and what the pressure is per tire. Both have a moonroof but Acura has auto open/close auto reverse and keyoff operation. Both have variable wipers but Acura is speed sensing. There are also several areas related to chassis, brakes, suspension, etc. that are improved in the Acura as well.

Don't get me wrong, the Accord is a great car but if you focus on details, the Acura really does outshine the Accord. The question is how much more money is the Acura worth. There are also some Accord advantages being a new model such as folding rear seats, more space, slightly more HP, lower weight, regular unleaded., better gas mileage.

Good luck with your comparisons.
    Others pointed out differences. I have to admit I didn't study them too closely. The TL benefits included:
    - better warranty
    - HID lights (often nearly a $1000 option if available but standard on TL)
    - dual zone climate controls
    - more advanced trip computer
    - better quality interior finish
    - electronic parking aid
    - memory seats (seats, mirrors, steering wheel and even climate settings)
    - cassette??
    - 8 speakers vs. 7 in
    - reverse tilt side mirrors
    - rear/turn LED lights

For the sake of being detail minded, I'd like to make a couple of corrections to your list if that's ok.

The turn signals on the TL are just red bulbs, not LEDs like the taillamps.

Also, the Accord has been available with dual auto climate controls since 2003, even before the TL had them I believe.

One more thing, wouldn't the TMV include rebates and discounts? Maybe a HOST can answer this for us? I honestly don't know.
  • ideadirectideadirect Member Posts: 5
    Someone clarified the dual zone climate controls in an earlier post:
    Basically, Dual zone/single mode (Accord and TSX) versus dual zone/dual mode (TL).

I probably should have included this as part of the similar feature but slightly better in TL. I was also going off memory too. Thanks for clarifying the lights. I misread that and you are correct it is just the rear lights.

I've had different experience with TMV pricing and rebates. Sometimes they look like they are included and sometimes not. I also look at carsdirect.com to get a feel. I'm in the middle of car shopping right now so am quite familiar with what prices are going for with TL's and Accords. The quotes I'm getting as well as others for a base TL is around $30K-$30.5 which includes the $2000 rebate extended until 3/3.
    The TMV price is about 32K which would indicate that the rebate is not taken out. Cars Direct has a price of $30.8 and does include removing the rebate. There is a link to "incentives" on the TMV pricing results that show the $2000 Marketing Support to the dealer. I was told it expired end of January but looks like it goes through March 3rd. I'm still pretty sure the TMV price does not remove this amount though as yesterday the TMV price was the same but there was no link to "Incentive." A host could confirm though.
  • bvdj84bvdj84 Member Posts: 1,724
    I am thinking it is more expensive to own an TL, than an accord, gas, insurance, and overall price, they offer a better lease deal, but in the long run, it is still more costly.
    Now, a tsx is little closer to the accords value, and is a really good bang for the buck.
    I have also looked at other cars, like VW's, Acura, and I still say you can't be the Honda's over all value. Although Acura is Honda.
    Someone clarified the dual zone climate controls in an earlier post:
    Basically, Dual zone/single mode (Accord and TSX) versus dual zone/dual mode (TL).

I always get that wrong - thanks for correcting me!
  • beatlefredbeatlefred Member Posts: 14
    I have an '05 Accord EX-L (4 cyl, auto, desert mist metallic) that I bought new in October '04. Its in great condition and only has a little over 18K miles.

I was thinking about upgrading to an '06 TL (in either white or black, and prefer it to to be under 35K miles). I've never driven a TL before, so I was wondering how much of a step up it would be from the Accord I have. I guess a test drive at a local dealership here in the New York city area would show me how much I like driving it (as opposed to my only looking at them on the road and admiring how nice they look :)

Can anyone give me some idea of what a good trade-in exchange would be? What would be a reasonable price for my Accord, and a reasonable price for an '06 TL. Bottom line: what is the difference in price between them?

And which dealer in the NY area would be the best place to get a good dela on a trade-in?

Thanks,

Fred
  • elroy5elroy5 Member Posts: 3,735
    Dealing with a trade-in, at a dealership, I think you would be spending about $10k for the upgrade (with similar mileage to your Accord). I think you could do much better on "private party" deals though. Maybe $6k
    Wow! I guess you don't drive that much! Just 18K miles. With ultra-low mileage cars, you never get close to what they're worth on a trade-in. Much better to sell privately, even though that's a royal pain in the butt.
  • hpetershpeters Member Posts: 1
    No, My Accord V6 EX had a single CD, While my TL has a 6 CD Changer.
  • gene103gene103 Member Posts: 47
    Let me guess. You wrote your reply 13 years ago and remembered today you forgot to hit Post My Message.