Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

Comments

• ukrickukrick Member Posts: 66
    Accord EX-V6 $25,540
    Base TL $29,360
    Base TL-S $31,710

If money is a factor in your decision, go with the Accord. If not, splurge and go for the TL-S with 260hp under the hood!!
  • ed_bayareaed_bayarea Member Posts: 4
    I think TL is a better car, and it brings you into different class. It's the brand name, the style, the length, the HP, and what I like most is the freedom to shift. I think the shift stick in TL is the best looking one in the market, and it's a 5-speed instead of 4 like the Prelude.
  • tgif888tgif888 Member Posts: 351
    Not that I want to compare these two cars. It is just people keep on complaining that the TL too much Accord alike, I30 is too much Maxima alike, and ES300 is too much Camry alike.

Like ed_bayarea said, those cars are in different class. The upscale model offers longer warranty and better service.

For example, Infiniti offeres loaner car to the customer even it is just for oil change. And the loaner car is another Infiniti, try this to Nissan, you just need to wait for the oil change to complete.

Lexus offers flat bed pick up, if you can't drop off the car for service and deliverthe car back to you. Did Toyota even offer that? Nope.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    The TL is very different from the Accord. The ES300 is very different, but less so than the TL vs. Accord, and the I30 has very little to differentiate it from the Maxima.

Yes, the service is typically better at a Acura dealer, a Infiniti dealer and a Lexus dealer over a Honda, Nissan, & TOyota dealer, respectively. But not all dealers offer the same services & benefits and just because you buy a Acura doesn't mean you will get excellent treatment and just because you buy a HOnda doesn't mean you get treated like road dirt. I'm very happy with my Honda dealer. I gotta pay $10 or so for a loaner car, but otherwise they are very professional, curtious, and they get the job done.
  • ed_bayareaed_bayarea Member Posts: 4
    I am using the numbers from message #152.

Assume: down $5000, interest 7%

36mos 48mos 60mos
    EX-V6 $630 $489 $404
    TL $748 $580 $480
    TL-S $820 $636 $526

Look at this, if we finance the car for 5yrs, TL will cost you $76 extra per month, and TL-S will cost you $124 extra which is $2.5 and $4.1 per day. But I am sure you will be happier to sit in a TL or TL-S than a Honda Accord like the one your neighbor's kit driving. Yes, you may say yours is a EX-V6, but by looking at it in the front, it's hard to tell between EX and DX, the base Accord. If it's a TL-S, at least, it will be treated as a TL for those who don't know.
  • bjguidrybjguidry Member Posts: 2
    i presently drive a '96 Accord, i have done a great deal of foot work on the 2002 3.2TL, i must say for the price, HP, and standard options it beats them all, that includes BMW 3 series, M-B C-Class, Lexus ES and IS 300 and yes of course a EX-V6 Accord, the TL gives you a total different image when compaired to the Accord. I feel that for a few thousand more, it beats just buying another Honda Accord? For the price you get plenty more options and buttons, better service and warranty. Resale value on Acuras are great but for those who want even more extras like navigation or the Type-S checkout resale value, it may not be worth it when it comes to getting your money back for the extra cash you've spent....
  • bjguidrybjguidry Member Posts: 2
    I've read through a few messages and noticed a few of you mentioned the VW Passat, well since then i went to check them out, WOW! really nice car, my first and only choice was the 2002 TL, now i like them both equally, what to do. I know a great deal about Hondas and Acuras but what about VW Passats as in reliability, resale, service etc.... im not all that impressed with the 2yr 24,000mile warranty on the Passat, it has really great and i must say different features than that of the TL, all they lack is the peppy 3.2liter V6 with 225HP while Passat has a 2.8 liter V6 with only 190HP, and the TL has HID headlights, well my one and only question is......Which one should I get?
  • tallynoltallynol Member Posts: 1
    I am also impressed by the Passat but had previous been set on an Acura TL (used 2000 or 1999). Now I am considering the Accords to save a few dollars. Any suggestions? I like the Passats the best but have heard a few bads things about maintence. Any comments are appreciated. Thanks!
  • jackielejackiele Member Posts: 22
    I, too, was enamored by the Passat. I absolutely loved the way it looked. However, after talking with Passat owners and reading the www.vwvortex.com board, I quickly changed my mind. The Passat is racked with problems. Soft windshields, electrical nightmares, loose seats, rattles and creaks galore, just malfunction after malfunction. Needless to say, I purchased the Accord ex6. Maybe it doesn't look as cool as the Passat but it is PERFECT. Hope that this post helps.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Welcome to Town Hall!

Did you find our separate discussions on each of those vehicles on our main Sedans board? Just in case you missed them, here are links: VW Passat and Honda Accord.

You will find lots of information in each discussion and those are good places to ask questions about Town Hall members experiences with reliability and that sort of thing.

I thought we had a comparison topic specifically about these two vehicles, but the closest active one I can find also includes the Camry. If you want to check that one out also, go here: Accord vs. Camry vs. Passat. But please feel free to start a separate discussion comparing the Passat and the Accord if you'd like to do so.

Good luck and again, welcome.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • buckowbuckow Member Posts: 5
    HI guys
    I dont think HUT could have been able to get that deal. I just bought a 2001 ex v6 for 23200 including spoiler and goldkit, excluding tax title. but that other guy in one of the other accord discussion i think he might be full of....
    23000 for a ex v6 OUT the DOOR plus 2 year maintainance I dont know about that one ;-)
    trust me it usually takes patience to get the best deal
  • buckowbuckow Member Posts: 5
    SORRY
    I meant HUT could very well have gotten that deal :-)
  • oldprofessoroldprofessor Member Posts: 45
    I have both so decided to put in my 2c worth. I have a 1999 Passat GLX, which has all the bells-and-whistles and was a great deal pricewise relative to the near-luxury models (ES300, I30, Acura TL). However, I have had a few service problems with the car: problems with a rear window, air bag warning light that came on and stayed on, balky throttle body sensor, which necessitated having the car trucked to a town with a VW dealer. Otherwise, I've liked it a lot; it still looks great (in my opinion), gets good gas mileage on the highway (about 30 mpg), has a reasonably responsive engine.

We bought an Acura 3.2 TL-S at the end of March, for two main reasons: its power and what we anticipate will be great service. On a 0-10 fun-to-drive scale, I would give it an 11, particularly relative to the car we traded for
    it--an Audi A6 (2.8 Quattro). Gas mileage is fantastic for a car with 260 hp (got 29.82 on a recent trip). I think the car looks pretty good and somewhat sporty, particularly for a Honda/Acura, and I like the Type S badging. It's always bugged me a little that there is no GLX badging for the Passat.

Anyway, that's my comparison of the two.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    Why do you care that there's no GLX badging?
    VWs can cost anywhere from 21K to 30K+. If I spring for the upper-end car, I would like for it to have some indication on it that it's not one that sold for a lower-end price. Of course, if I were really trying to impress someone with how much my car cost, I would buy a BMW or an Audi.
  • mmcbride1mmcbride1 Member Posts: 861
    If you really cared, you would have kept the A6. That was why I asked.
    Good point. Well, I guess I do care, just not enough to keep a great-looking car that had lots of problems and wasn't nearly as fun to drive as the TL-S we traded it for.
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    Interesting discussion. I'm in the market for a replacement for our '89 Legend 5spd cpe and my Wife has focused on the Accord, to my consternation (I have no use for an automatic, but that's another story). I began to investigate the TL when I realized that its price was within a few $K of the Accord. Following is my take on the comparison with items of which I am uncertain indicated by '?':

PRO:

+ Much better transmission. 5 speed (vs. 4) with sequential manual selection. (Reviews have criticized the Accord as slow to automatically downshift.) (Fewer transmission problems than reported for Accord?)

+ More power (12.5% power & 10.3% torque with only 4.9% increase in weight. Acceleration to 60mph improved 8.9% per R&T tests even with earlier 4spd transmission)

+ 16" wheels (vs. 15") with lower profile tires (60 vs. 65 series) suggest improved steering response and will allow a better choice of replacement tires (65 series declining in availability, particularly in higher quality/performance tires)

+ Better highway mileage (29 vs. 28) consistent with "taller" final ratio of 5 speed (1670 rpm @ 60mph vs. 2060) and in spite of larger, more powerful engine.

+ Better handling. R&T reported higher limits and characterized understeer as moderate, vs. heavy for Accord

+ Lower noise levels (65dbA @ 70 mph vs. 70dbA for Accord)

+ Better warranty (4yr/50k mi. with roadside assistance vs. 3/36k)

+ No scheduled tune-up for 100k miles (Accord?)

+ Power rear windows (Accord is front only?)

+ Auto-up driver’s window (’02 only?)

+ Resale is 5-10% better after 5 years.

+ Speed sensitive intermittent wipers

+ Xenon HID headlights

+ More headroom (1.4" front & 0.3" rear) even though 1.2" lower overall height (’02 model is 3.6" lower with 0.3" less front and same rear headroom)

+ More open wheel design (better brake cooling, possibly lighter)

+ Remote trunk release (on key-fob)

+ Heated front seats

+ Heated outside mirrors

+ Cargo net in trunk

+ Outside temperature gauge

+ Adjustable center armrest

+ Improved structural rigidity?

+ Better front seat thigh support?

+ Floor mats standard

(2002 model adds memory drivers seat and mirror settings, 6-disc CD changer, fog lights)

CON:

- TL will cost approx. 12% more initially and 12-15% more in fuel (prem. vs. reg. - overall consumption similar). Insurance cost may be higher?.

- Larger (3.5" in length and 163lbs.)

- R&T reported 7.3% longer braking distance than Accord from 60mph (perhaps owing to increased weight without increase in tire size?).

- Poorer city fuel economy (19 vs. 20, -5%) consistent with 5% increase in weight and larger engine although overall consumption is probably similar to Accord (EPA "combined" is 23 for both)

- No folding rear seat (center armrest pass-through only)

- Less rear seat leg room (2.9")

- Single disc CD player vs. 6 disc changer (2002 includes changer)
  • vand1vand1 Member Posts: 7
    This is a very good summary. It is absolutely right. One has to wonder why would someone to choose Accord EX V6.

I think, any many people think so, TL is the best value player among near Luxary cars (actually an absolutely luxary car back to 8 years). For little under 30K, you can just buy a great car. Can you do that back to 1992? I do not think so.

My trouble is not this. My trouble is I can't justify to buy another new car in 3 months. I just bought a new Odyssey. I think I should look for 2000 TL (1999 TL only has 4spd transmission). But, I am wondering why would I buy a used one with only a few K saved. Any thought?
  • rickslickrickslick Member Posts: 27
    is a great car. I have a 01 TL that's 6 months old with 10,500 miles on it today. I love the way the car performs. I have black with parchment interior. I love the seats in the Type-S. I wish we could purchase them as an option. They are far more comf than the reg TL. I had a 97 Maxima SE but had been eyeing the TL for a while. In an effort to conserve $$ I too considered the Accord V-6 but after a test drive I knew the TL would be mine as there was no comparison.
    Some people I know with Accord's who got their car before I got mine now say, "I should have got a TL."
  • daysailerdaysailer Member Posts: 720
    My previous summary was based on my research of specifications and comments that I had read, but I had not actually driven a TL until last weekend so here are my impressions:

First, I was incorrect that the Accord power windows are front only, all 4 are indeed power (don't know where I got that one?). Second, I must add to the CON list: The TL has replaced the center mounted, hand operated emergency brake as found in the Accord (and virtually every well designed car on the planet) with a nearly useless, foot operated, parking brake like something you might find in a "big 3" product. Worse, the brake cannot be released without depressing it full stroke assuring that it CANNOT be modulated, if necessary. A plus for the Accord here!

Although the specified front legroom is the same, I found that I was driving the Accord with the seat fully aft but I still had some seat travel remaining in the TL. Also, the difference in rear leg room did not seem as great as the 2.9" specified. The TL seat cusions ARE longer, seemed somewhat broader and provide better thigh support. Both my Wife and I found that the Accord seats had a too firm front edge that struck too high on the thigh. The TL seats also provide better lateral support. The Accord seats seemed firmer overall which was less comfortable initially and for our short test drives but might be better for long trips (except for the thigh problem) - no way to tell without living with each for awhile. Otherwise, the TL interior appears "classier", except perhaps for the textureless black plastic facia that seemed more Taurus-like (the Accord has a similar area in the center of the dash but there is less of it). Neither car offers outward vision comparable to our '89 Legend coupe, particularly toward the rear and rear quarters.

Dynamically, the transmission was the most obvious difference. The Accord's, 1-2 shift seemed clumsier and less consistent and my first thought was that the TL's 5 speed must have closer 1-2 ratios, but the difference between the two cars is only about 1% so there must be other differences as well. Our around town and brief highway driving did not allow a good test of the "sportshift" , but for someone such as myself who does NOT like automatic transmissions, it is an improvement over the typical offering as in the Accord. Our limited test venue and a desire not to abuse new machinery did not allow a real test of power and handling so I'll have to rely on published test data for that.

As expected, the TL is definitely the more desirable car and we were surprised to find that it seemed more comfortable as well (I expected more "fluff" but there seems to be more substance too). Unfortunately, there are no '01s available here and the only dealer seems to have a seller's market and will not sell an '02 below MSRP+ $599 "paint sealer" so the price difference re the Accord is rather dramatic while the real differences are less so. I guess we're still in a looking mode unless there's a sea change in the market.
  • hammerhead12hammerhead12 Member Posts: 5
    Tell your local dealer to take a leap. TL's are selling below invoice. Just go to acura.com, look up all dealers in a reasonable driving distance and start calling/e-mailing/faxing until you get the offer you want. Good luck.
  • pauldugpauldug Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a '98 Acura TL 3.2 two weeks ago. One day after getting the car I noticed condensation pouring from the floor vents due to a blocked drain which was repaired under warranty. My problem is that I hear a faint hissing noise cycling on and off every 20 seconds or so when the AC in on. I brought the car back to the dealer and one of the service techs said this was a normal sound from the AC compressor as it cycles to maintain a constant temperature and that all Acuras exhibit this trait. I'm having a hard time believing that this is a normal sound. Has anyone else experienced this problem?
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Probably a better place to ask this question would be in our Acura 3.2 TL discussion on our main Sedans board where you'll find most of the Town Hall TL owners. You may also want to check out our Maintenance and Repair Board.

Good luck, and welcome to Town Hall.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • keithwandkeithwand Member Posts: 23
    I'm in the market for a company car and am considering these 2.
    I will be driving 30K or more annually and want something quick, fun, reliable, roomy etc.
    Also which car would fit a better image for a VP in Sales? I need to stay in the low 30's.
    Any other suggestions besides the above 2 is welcome?
    Thanks.
    How about the Lexus ES 300.
  • mirammiram Member Posts: 1
    Two questions for the group.
    1) I remember reading a while back and cannot recall where, a subsrciber questioned whether or not anyone else was having problems with getting the windshield on the Acura 3.2TL clean. I ignored this post because I originally thought this was a weird question, but since have run into the same problem. That is using windshield wipers and cleaner to clean the windshield.
    2) I have noticed condensation coming from the vents when the AC is on. Has anyone else had this experience and if so, gotten a resolution to it?

Thanks
  • larrylynxlarrylynx Member Posts: 3
    I have a new TLS and I have noticed that getting the windshield absolutely clean (windex and paper towels) seems to be impossible. No matter how much effort I put into it, there is always a streaky residue left, which causes glare. I've not had this problem with other cars I own.

As for the AC, I'm out in the Sacramento valley, and the AC is always on, but I haven't noticed any problems with it.
  • ripinrocketripinrocket Member Posts: 157
    larrylnyx,

Try windex and newspaper to clean the windows. you'll get no streaks.
  • elleichelleich Member Posts: 1
    I have a question about the Acura TL vs. the S model. As a 50 year old person, do you feel the S model is right or too sporty (maybe for my adult children?) I like the TL model and would like to know if it can use regular gas and also what is the average mileage you get? What is the major complaint or is everyone really happy with it? I leased a Legend years ago and loved it..Thanks, Ellen
    IMHO, your adult children will love the TL-S better than the regular TL. The TL-S comes with 17 inch-alloy wheels and sport tune suspension. Check out the acura-tl.com, we had a member who is 47 years old and said he loved the Type S.

Acura said 87 octane is fine on the regular TL and the TL-S. But it also said to achieve maximum performance, higher octone is recommended.

The major complaint usually is when it first come out. Like, I bought mine on March, the car had been back to dealership for the windows recall. Exhaust pipes are not leveled. Sunroof is too noisy. Those problems had been solved already. But some people still complains about the sunroof noise and rattle.
    I'm 59 and my wife is 58, and we love our TL-S, mainly b/c it's so responsive. My wife actually drives the car from day to day (I get to drive it on trips), and she says what she likes about it is it's so "smooth." Although I wouldn't have used that term to describe it, I know what she means. It does everything so effortlessly. Her car before was a 1999 Audi A6, which was a wonderful car in many respects but not what I would call fun to drive like the Acura. Also, we had lots of little service problems with the Audi and decided to go back to Japanese for the quality aspects. Haven't been disappointed so far with the Acura.

On the gas question, we use premium fuel, mainly b/c our son thinks it's stupid to pay that much for a car and then use a lower grade fuel than recommended to save a few cents on a fillup, and I have to agree with him. Gas mileage has been excellent for the car's power--16-17 in our town, which is small so it's really hard to get good mileage, and 29-30 on the highway.

Can't really comment about the TL, as I wanted a Type S, and that's all we looked at/tested.
  • wolfgang6wolfgang6 Member Posts: 7
    The EXV6 represents a good value especially for the $23.4K we paid a year ago. We traded it for a TL as initial impressions were gone after a couple of long trips. The seats, suspension at highway speed, and transmission are not quite together after several driving hours. The TL rivals many cars in the $35-$37K category and at $27.4K was a steal. We have owned many mid $30's vehicles; BMW, Volvo, and Audi, over the past 10 years. No time for the continual down time. The TL has signficant refinement over the Accord in seating, dampening (16" tires are ++), and 5 speed transmission. The extra 25hp is plenty for our driving needs-especially with the 5speed. Throw in the xenon lights, extra sound insulation, 6 disc/dash Bose which rocks, and significantly tuned suspension and the value line reaches upward quickly.
  • esneedesneed Member Posts: 16
    Purchased a new 2002 TL Type-S several weeks ago, and while it's the most expensive car I've ever bought, I still feel as though it's quite a bargain, because it drives and feels like a car costing thousands more. This car is truly a pleasure to drive, and has incredible power and torque - particularly when passing. The 260hp engine is very unique for other cars in its class. And I did choose the NAV system - yes, I can read a regular map too, but living in Florida with several larger metro areas in the state, the NAV system does a great job on leading you through unfamiliar territory - even in my home of Jacksonville. This feature is perfect for realtors who drive from address to address often for clients. Conservative styling - yes, and if it offends some - fine. I did all of the comparison shopping - and for me, it's the best automotive value for the money.

To Accord owners - Accords are great cars too - I've owned 2 Accords and 1 Prelude, and was very happy with all of them. So this topic should not be taken as a slant on Accords - you just can't seem to go wrong on a Honda. But for me personally, it was time to move up to something different and with a little more prestige, so I'm glad I moved to the Acura - even for the higher price.
  • dave1363dave1363 Member Posts: 6
    I was considering purchasing a new 2002 Acura TL w/o nav. The best price I've gotten was $27,500. While car shopping I came accross a 1998 Lexus ES300 with 30K miles. It was bascially a stripped down ES no heated seats or load leveling. I found it at a Toyota dealer who was willing to sell for $20,900. Not bad. I thought it was quieter and had a nicer ride than the TL but none of the frills. Should I go for the used Lexus or go for the new TL is it worth it?
  • esneedesneed Member Posts: 16
    If the Lexus meets your needs, and you're comfortable with it, go ahead with the Lexus. The ES300 is definitely a nice car... I drove a 1999 model myself, and I found it to be a very quiet car, although it didn't have the handling of what I wanted, and in my case - they wanted $29,500 - and I thought that was steep. Most people find the ride of the TL-S to be harsh... compared to a Lexus, it is definitely a more controlled, tauter, and yes - harsher ride.

My suggestion is drive both cars back to back - on the same day. See which one appeals to you the most, then begin to decide on the differences of price based on what you perceived to be most important. Good luck!
  • ronl4ronl4 Member Posts: 1
    I test drove both the TL and TL-S last weekend near Boston and ended up buying one the same week from a dealer across the country, where I am being relocated. (No fault of the salesman, Mike D, whose help was tremendous and whose prices were very competitive. I just didn't feel up to driving a new car cross-country in winter.) I have driven an old Accord for many, many years and have found it very comfortable and reliable. The TL had many features that made it "recognizable" and instantly comfortable, but clearly a big step up in luxury. Before deciding on the TL, we considered BMW, Volvo and Saab but, really, there is no contest in performance, comfort and value. As for the TL vs. the TL-S.... I chose the TL. Mike explained it very well: if you believe the TL has struck a 50-50 balance between comfort and sportiness, the TL-S comes in at about 60-40. I found the handling of the TL-S very appealing, but opted in the end for the slightly softer but very responsive ride of the TL. This is a great car.
  • spartanman2spartanman2 Member Posts: 61
    Seeing what the topic of the forum is "Accord EX V6 v. 3.2 TL", I thought I would add some insight

If someone came to you and made the following offer;
    A. You can have an brand new Acura TL or;
    B. You can have an brand new Accord EX V6 AND $6000 cash.

Which would you take; A or B???

Right now, at least in suburban Chicago, you can get (per newspaper ads) a new V6 EX Accord for near or at invoice; $22,765 to $23,000 vs. the TL, where most dealers I've met to are not budging too far below MSRP.

I was thinking seriously about a TL, but now I'm having second thoughts. Is the extra few bells and whistles the TL or TL-S offers worth paying an additional $6000?
  • had_enuff_fordhad_enuff_ford Member Posts: 7
    Invoice on the EX V6 with destination charge included is $23205. We paid $100 below that on 12/29 here in Dallas. If you can get it for $22,765, go write the check now, because that's an outstanding deal. (assuming that dealer doesn't try to force a $500 "exterior protection package" (wax job!) on you)

To be sure, the TL is a better car, with features that to some people justify the price. It didn't for me, and I'm more than pleased with the features to price tradeoff of the Accord.

Doug
  • jpeart0jpeart0 Member Posts: 2
    I am 55 and enjoying the Acura 02 TL-TYPE S. I come from the era of the pony cars (1960's) so I know power. This car is fast and a kick to drive.
    Can't compare to the ACCORD as this is my first Honda OOPS ACURA!! I can say that this car is smooth and powerful. Very quiet and handles great.
    I get an average of 25 miles per gal city/hwy. So far I have had zero problems and the build quality is terrific. Of course I only have 2500 miles on it. Hoping for the best. It is a pleasure to drive. Did have to get a radar detector as it is hard to control the lead foot!
  • stkachovstkachov Member Posts: 4
    I had a 2000 Honda Accord V6 EX, had it totalled 2 weeks ago, now have to buy a new car. The only gripes I had about the Accord were excessive tire/wind noise (expessially hated the high pitch sound it produced) and transmission which sometimes shifted gears with delay. Initially the shifting was very harsh, but that mellowed out after 6K or 7K miles (had total of 20K when got hit at 60 mi/hour). The whole back of the car was smashed up to rear window and the driver seat back broke, but fortunately no injuries. Anyway I need a car with spacious back seat and would prefer a car that has decent handling and power and want to move up from an Accord. I test drove 525ia - a great car in every respect except for the price, handling, power, everything seemed just right. Jaguar X-Type 2.5 - didn't like the handling, reminded me of some rented Ford cars and transmission had the same problem that my old Accord had - delay in shifting. As far as TL-S goes, I have read some postings that tire noise is excessive and transmission is not as smooth. Does the TL-S have the same noise/transmission deficiencies as the Accord V6?
    Per my previous posting I considered the Accord EX V6 and, instead, purchased (on 2-2) the TL type S for $6000 more. After re-test driving both, the TL-S is a heeluva vehicle and worth the extra $$....For me anyway. If its a budget issue, go for the EX.

I negotiated the TL-S and Accord EX V6 prices close to invoice. Note: 2003 TL's are in production and coming out soon...price may not be as negotiable as the 2002's.
  • dbllcdbllc Member Posts: 3
    I hate to burst some bubbles here, but be sure you check out the 2002 TL reviews before purchasing. They are decidedly mixed. Generally, new car owners are saying great things and owners who have had the car for some time have minor to major complaints. I have had my issues with my 2002 TL w/Navi and was told by an Acura Customer Service Rep recently that my expectations were too high. Wow, that's confidence building!
  • carguy62carguy62 Member Posts: 545
    First someone wasn't sure if a few extra bells and whistles were worth $6000, but after they purchase the higher priced vehicle it's now a hellava vehicle and worth the extra dollars. I really didn't expect someone to say they wasted $6000.

In my mind it's very simple, pay $23K for the Accord or $27K+ for the TL. My thinking is that these are two different classes of vehicles, yep they have many similarities but I still (going back almost two years) don't think these should be compared to each other. Family sedan vs. near luxury sports sedan (at least that's how I view them). A year or two ago the differences were less pronounced, but with the TL and TL type S changes, the differences are quite significant, really unfair to compare (5 spd vs. 4 spd, 16" or 17" vs. 15", etc.). Both are Hondas though, so that's a good thing.
    I may have seemed a bit hypocritical....My pro EX posting a couple months ago was more of a "devils advocate" position...really on ongoing debate in my mind as to which car I would buy; the bargain v. the luxo-bargain.

I couldn't get that 260hp engine off my mind. Besides, everyone in my neighborhood drives an Accord. Who wants to blend in?
  • mattanders1mattanders1 Member Posts: 10
    The lease is up on my '99 EX, and I am in a position to step up a bit, so I test drove the TL & the TL Type-S, as well as a couple Maximas and some higher priced options. After every drive, I couldn't help but question what the extra money was getting me. The Accord is just a great, great car for the money. Nothing I sat in felt significantly bigger, quieter or more comfortable, and the all cost at least 25% - 75% more.

Of course, in the end, I went with a TL-S with Nav, because it was the most fun to drive. Sure, it's faster, sure, the leather is softer, and sure, Xenon headlights and the talking Nav system are cool, but I am definitely not getting as much of a "step up" as I had expected when I decided to spend a little more money than I had been spending each month, and I consider the TL to be a screaming bargain compared to it's competition.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Thanks for your post but it was confusing to me. On one hand you say that the Accord is a great car for the money. Nothing that you sat in was any better but yet you bought a TL-S. Why not another Accord if there was nothing significantly better? Why not get the TL and save a little money over the TL-S?
    I am also in this quandry. I am looking at the TL, Lexus ES300, Maxima, and the Accord. I have driven the TL but not the Accord. Should I save some money and just buy the Accord? I was looking at something a little more upscale this time but I just do not know if it is worth the extra money. I sure would appreciate your comments.
    I would appreciate your opinion on the Maxima vs. TL.
    How did you like your EX? any problems?
    I wanted something more fun and upscale, so I got the TL-S. It probably isn't worth the money, but so be it. If I were better looking, I might have have gotten the Accord, but I admit that I can use the little bit of extra coolness that comes with 260HP and a Nav System. Besides, my older brother just got an EX, so I was obligated to one-up him. As for the other cars you arelooking at, the ES300 is a ton more money once you add any options, and is to sterile like a Camry, for me. The Maxima was a close second, but I felt the jumps between gears was just to pronounced, and the Nav system wasn't nearly as cool. My EX has been terrificly trouble free.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    How does the TL compare to the Accord? Is there any substantial difference? Did you notice any difference in highway noise? Steering differences?
    No difference in highway noise. The only noise difference is the sound of the engine when pushed, where the TL-S is noticeably quieter (little diff with the regular TL). I loved the steering response in both. The other differences are in the gadgets (xenons, nav system, dual seat memory) and the cosmetics (somewhat nicer leather). The back seat of the Accord wins.