Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Acura TL vs Honda Accord

Comments

• taxesquiretaxesquire Member Posts: 681
    if the 07 doesn't get at least as good mileage as the current hybrid accord

Are you kidding me?!? The TL is built to be a sporty driving machine, not a gas-sipper, though I think it gets the best mileage in its class. Still, if MPG is your priority (and that is definitely a reasonable priority), go with the hybrid. Better yet, go with the Insight!!!
  • boe_dboe_d Member Posts: 66
    Sorry - I guess I wasn't clear - I was referring to the 07 HYBRID TL. The hybrid accord gets 255hp - my 2001 TL is only 240 - it was the S TL that got 260. 255 would be plenty for a TL in my opinion. Perhaps they could actually make two tls. The hybrid 255hp and the TLSUX which is pure muscle with 300+HP and really crappy gas mileage (ROBOCOP)
  • fedlawmanfedlawman Member Posts: 3,118
    The '01 TL has only 225 HP, not 240.
    If I were more educated, I probably would've guessed that's what you meant. I wasn't aware of the upcoming hybrid TL.
    Don't worry - I was vague. There is no definite on the 07 hybrid. I'm really trying to find out anything I can about it. All I've seen is a few one paragraph blurbs several months ago.
    Here is one of those blurbs I read quite a while ago -
    http://wardsauto.com/ar/auto_acura_hybrid_definitely/
    Hello,

I have not test driven/compared the Accord or the TL in a while. In 2001 when I bought my TL they both had bad sound insulation. Can you please let me know if they have improved the sound insulation on them much since then? Is there much of a difference in the sound insulation between the current TL and the current Accord?

You don't hear the engine of my car so much as the sound from the road. In California many of the roads have grooves for water/traction so tires make a good amount of noise on the road. I've noticed when I am in a friend's Toyota it is not as noticeable.

Thanks
  • bodble2bodble2 Member Posts: 4,514
    There is definitely less wind noise in the '04-'06 TL compared to the previous generation. There is still some tire noise, but not intrusive, IMO. Overall, a noticeably quieter car than the old TL/CL. (I had a 2001 CL-S)
  • 6spdtl6spdtl Member Posts: 30
    The accord is a fabulous family car. The TL is tuned completely different even though they are brothers. THe TL is quieter and much more sport tuned. Although the hybrid accord and TL have similar HP ratings the TL is significantly faster(gearing perhaps?) the manual TL is much faster. In the handling department the TL feels completely different, its ride is much tighter and the handling is in a different level altoghether. The present accord handling is very similar to the previous TL. Braking is another criteria where the TL exceeds the accord by a very significant amount. So is the TL much better than the Accord, probably not, but if you value performance then the TL is the car you want. Finally in most peoples opinion, the TL is one if not the best looking Honda ever, the Accord is a visual bore.
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    IMO, the 2006 EX-V6 has nearly closed the gap with the TL (5AT only) in handling & performance. Think of the 06 Accord EX-V6 as a "stealth" TL 5AT with a better navigation system & shorter warranty. Exterior styling could use some improvement, and a few features like HID's & bluetooth are missing (probably coming on the 8th-gen), but that's about it. Interior quality is about the same. It's definitely better than the previous generation TL, no doubt.
    "It's definitely better than the previous generation TL,.."

Yup, agreed. Just as the new Civic is arguably better than the previous generation Accord. And the Civic Coupe Si has picked up where the 1997-2001 Prelude left off.
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    It's definitely better than the previous generation TL, no doubt.

Agreed.
    I prefer the Accord's interior to the previous generation TL. Material quality may be the same, but the Accord to me has a more upscale design.
  • dampfnudeldampfnudel Member Posts: 131
    Just as the 8th-generation Accord should be better than the 3rd-gen TL and so on. I wonder if Honda will follow Toyota's lead and release the 2008 Accord in the first half of 2007.
  • podrespodres Member Posts: 58
    The EX-V6 MT has not closed the gap with the TL MT. Both are great values and wonderful cars, but the Honda is a family sedan and the TL has a sportier and more luxurious feel.

On the styling front, I think the 06 Accord is just terrific, while I find the front end of the TL disappointing. It looks like a Honda, giving ammunition to those who cliam that the Acura is just an overpriced Honda. The front end does not share the racy and beautiful look of the side view, which is fabulous.

Just my opinion, of course.
  • kevintwkevintw Member Posts: 1
    All, I've enjoyed reading through this board and the opinions on new TLs vs Accords, but I'm wondering what you think of getting a 2003 TL (Not Type-s) with around 30K miles for around 19 / 19.5K vs a New 2006 Accord EX-Leather (right around 23K) Or possible a EX-V6 (not sure on price)

I'd love a new TL but fall into the too practical for my own good, or at least my own "great" in the case of driving fun. I am still interested in the better ride, safety, quality, fun factor, and an opinion on looks of those choices. I like the old TL on the outside, but inside seems a bit dated. OTOH, I think the Accord looks great inside but even the 2006 still needs a little tweaking on the outside.

Thanks!
  • haefrhaefr Member Posts: 600
    Honda doesn't make V4 automobile engines. They make V6 and I4 automobile engines. (I think your "V4" post title reference was a typo...) The accumulatated miles on the '03 TL are within reason, but how those miles were accumultated is the great unknown unless you personally know the owner. With a new car you have the option to control how the mechanicals run-in. With a used car, the wear patterns are already established - for better or worse. You're also rapidly approaching warranty end. With a new, '06 Honda, you get a 5 year 60,000 mile powertrain warranty. There is NO perfect car. Whatever car is built - including the awesome new 200 mph VW-made Bentleys - can stand some tweaking, even if only by obsessive-compulsive nitpickers.
  • ezshift5ezshift5 Member Posts: 858
    1. The accumulatated miles on the '03 TL are within reason, but how those miles were accumultated is the great unknown unless you personally know the owner.

2. With a new, '06 Honda, you get a 5 year 60,000 mile
    powertrain warranty

:P

Does looking at 1 and 2 above strike a resonant chord?

With a used car, it's a roll of the dice. With new cars, you are the house......the odds are in your favor big time.

season's best, ez..
    Tough choice. If you were considering the Honda V6, I'd say go Honda. The Accord is a great car, but whether the 4 cylinder is enough power for you is entirely a personal choice.
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    actually, if the TL is certified, that means it comes with 100k mile warranty, does it not?

Anyway, having said that, and having driven the old model TL and the new model Accord, I personally think I'd opt for the 3-year newer Accord EX-V6, if I could afford the extra dough. I did like the previous gen TL when it was new, but I think it has gotten a bit tired with time and, IMHO, the new-gen Accord has caught up to it and maybe even surpassed it.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

"actually, if the TL is certified, that means it comes with 100k mile warranty, does it not?"

Gotta watch the fine print - that "100K warranty" blather may only refer to the remaining miles which would bring the odometer up to 100K... (not an additional 100K miles added to the existing odometer reading)
  • qbrozenqbrozen Member Posts: 32,933
    well, that's true, but 100k warranty on a 30k mile car still gives you a longer warranty than a new Honda. Keep in mind, that's only powertrain, but, in my opinion, that's the most important part. Nothing like a blow transmission to sour your car owning experience.

'11 GMC Sierra 1500; '08 Charger R/T Daytona; '67 Coronet R/T; '13 Fiat 500c; '20 S90 T6; '22 MB Sprinter 2500 4x4 diesel; '97 Suzuki R Wagon; '96 Opel Astra; '08 Maser QP; '11 Mini Cooper S

• mkyblueyzmkyblueyz Member Posts: 1
    I know that the TL has HID's, brembo brakes, and a better sound system, but does anyone know how the new models handle? Especially the TL now that they supposedly got rid of the torque steer for 2006. Basically, is the TL worth the extra money?
    "Basically, is the TL worth the extra money?"

This is always a personal choice issue. But prior to model year 2006, my answer would have been a resounding YES. But for 2006, the Accord received a facelift. It's still no Angelina Jolie, but it's no longer Sandra Bernhardt. Plus, now it has 244HP, VSA, full complement of airbags, 17" alloys, upgraded Nav, etc. It's a tougher choice now, IMO.
    The TL 6MT is a better-handling car than the Accord. That being said, now that I understand you can get a v6 6MT Accord with 4 doors, it'd be a tough choice for me.

As an aside, I read a description of how the torque inhibitor works, and I view it as a big negative. It basically reduces engine output when it senses torque. More subtle & quicker, but the same concept as if you let up a bit on the gas. Frankly, since getting new tires, I notice significantly less torque steer, and I only notice it when accellerating thru sharp turns or starting from a dead stop.

That being said, if I want to test my 0-60 times, I just know I need to hold onto the wheel tightly. WIth the '06, you need to hold the wheel tightly and remmeber to turn off the "inhibito" - assuming the car allows you to do this.
    I've test-driven both and think that the TL is worth the extra money because it is tighter, taughter and more responsive. Nonetheless, the Honda is such a good car that you could well dismiss the difference between the two as an unnecessary frill. You can't go wrong, really. If you want to hang onto your money, go Honda. If you want to indulge yourself, go Acura.
  • thegraduatethegraduate Member Posts: 9,731
    I've test-driven both and think that the TL is worth the extra money because it is tighter, taughter and more responsive. Nonetheless, the Honda is such a good car that you could well dismiss the difference between the two as an unnecessary frill. You can't go wrong, really. If you want to hang onto your money, go Honda. If you want to indulge yourself, go Acura.

Well said podres. In my area where interstates (which I travel daily) are really rough, the Accord was the obvious choice for me (softer, though not soft ride), and the obvious price advantage.

The Accord is no slouch in the interior (leather, heated seats, 6-disc changer, voice activated navigation, dual climate controls. The TL is nicer still, as it adds things such as DVD audio to the already robust features of the Accord.
  • kjw73kjw73 Member Posts: 1
    This is ironic for me, really.
    In early 2004 I traded my reliable '02 Civic in for "what I thought at the time was heaven-like" an '04 Accord Coupe V6 6-speed w/ navigation - Loved it, loved it, loved it. I really did like it a lot. That was until I saw the '04/'05 Acura TL on the road and my first thought was, "I want that car!!". I'd admire them from a distance.

The more I pondered the thought for about three months on trading in my Accord. I read reviews, did a side-by-side comparison, etc. and at the end of the day...I wanted the Acura. It just had much more to offer than what I already had in my every optioned Accord.

Finally, in November '05 I made the move and now drive a White Diamond Pearle TL w/navigation (except automatic, rather than again going for the 6-sp) - and love it, love it, love it. I'll plan on keeping this car for quite some time. :-) IMO the TL undoubtedly is in no true comparison to the Accord (even though I had the coupe and know it's still a Honda at heart); they may have similiar performance and features, but everything in the TL is upgraded and nicely put. I am really happy with it and so is my fiance who is a car nut.

Gotta love Honda!
    Congrats! Glad you found what you wanted. Hope you don't follow the same trade-in pattern with your fiance though --for his sake! ;) :P
  • goodegggoodegg Member Posts: 905
    Gotta love Honda!

Amen to that! I too considered the loaded EXV6. Ended up with an 06TL Anthracite/Quartz cause I just loved the lines of the car. The Accord restyling is visually plain to me. No flair. The car's only flaw IMO. Couldn't see living with a car I thought was just OK looking when for $100 month more I'm in a TL - no brainer.
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    What kind of mpg are the owners of the 04-06 TL Automatic getting? I have heard that they are not very efficient at other than highway speeds.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    Hi, Fred:

I've had my '05 auto TL for a year now. In mixed highway/local 40miles/day commute driving I've been averaging consistently 22-23mpg. Strictly highway, high 20s to 30+mpg is not difficult to achieve. I don't have any strictly "city" numbers, though. I think the lowest mpg for a tank (per the computer) was 20mpg.

Great car.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

my 6MT TL gets about 22 mpg city-driving. My commute is only 15 mi each way, and there's a 3 mi stretch in which I'm able to go the speed limit without having to brake hard & sudden. The rest of my commute is with stop lights and in moderate stop-and-go traffic, so I think it's a good model.
  • mvc_jonesmvc_jones Member Posts: 88
    I have an '05 TL Auto/NAV and get 22-23 mpg consistently in city/hwy 60/40. Only have 1200 miles, so hope to get a little better mileage in the future, but not dissappointed so far. Old 2003 Passat got the same mileage with 1.8T/Tip and 100 less hp. Great car except for the rattles.
  • elvis4prezelvis4prez Member Posts: 85
    Fred

MPG on my 06 AT TL was 32 (all interstate) on the drive home.

Pure city driving has been disappointing at 18 but it's stop and go with usually short trips (5mi or less) and very congested especially after New Orleans people were displaced here to Baton Rouge.
  • miamirocksmiamirocks Member Posts: 17
    Hi All,

Since my first car, I have been leasing with Honda/Acura (integra, CL and EXV6 Accord). In terms of reliability, comfort and perks for the money, I think Honda/Acura is the winning team for me. My lease on my 03 Accord EXV6 was up so it was decision time-Acura or Honda.

I was between the new 06 Accord EXV6 or the 06 TL which is probably the closest pair between Honda and Acura. Whether you go with Honda or Acura you will know that you have a winner. Both are excellent cars, but the 06TL has those little extras that made the difference for me.

I got the 06 non-navi auto TL with end of year savings. After test driving it, I got hooked on the TL. The tire pressure monitor was a nice addition to the 06 line-up.

This car rocks! :shades:
  • smp123smp123 Member Posts: 3
    At the recent WashDC car show, the new Accord and TL were right across from each other, making comparisons easy. They seem very similar, though the dash layout is somewhat different (standard gauges in the Accord). It would be a hard choice and would depend on whether the upgrades of the TL were worth the extra $4000.

They were to me.

But I would not scoff at any one who went with the Accord. Or the TSX for that matter (a bit smaller on the inside).
  • dvricedvrice Member Posts: 73
    IMHO, the TL has fallen behind the times slightly compared to the TSX and even the Accord. I would think the TL should be on the cutting edge ahead of these vehicles.

For example, the TL has a cassete player. When is the lst time someone played a casstte tape. Neither hte TSX or Accord have a casstte player and the TSX has the MP3 player interface standard. The TSX has bluetooth compatibility standard while the TL doesn't yet. The Accord has the newer navigation system.

If the TL catches up then I would pay the extra $5K for it versus the Accord or TSX. It probably will in 2007, but I need to buy a car this year so I will probably end up with an Accord or TSX.
  • ajmtbmajmtbm Member Posts: 245
    agreed, the casette player is pretty funny.

any idea when the TL is due for redesign?
  • ctalkctalk Member Posts: 646
    It will be getting a model refresh next year. The redesign is due in 2009.

I would still buy the TL over the Accord. I could have, now I have some regret.

I am still very happy with my Accord :)
    Check the Acura website again for how much more the TL gets you over the TSX or AccordEXV6.

The TL does have bluetooth compatibility standard bro....and a lot more.
  • laurasdadalaurasdada Member Posts: 4,725
    As a child of the '70s and a prolific creator of casette music, I resemble that remark! I was thrilled the TL offered casette...

TL is Bluetooth compatible.

Three great cars, three variations on a theme. You can't go wrong.

'21 Dark Blue/Black Audi A7 PHEV (mine); '22 White/Beige BMW X3 (hers); '20 Estoril Blue/Oyster BMW M240xi 'Vert (Ours, read: hers in 'vert weather; mine during Nor'easters...)

• midnightcowboymidnightcowboy Member Posts: 1,978
    I miss the 8-tracks and 45s and reverb :cry:

The only thing wrong with my S2000 is the cupholders won't really hold anything.

Shifting,

MidCow
    (About the Acura being behind the times...) For example, the TL has a cassete player.

My grandmother, for one, who has more money than i'll see in the next fifteen years, has tapes and CDs at a ratio of something like 25:1. She isn't a high-powered executive, she raised two kids on her one salary, and has kept saving and shopping at Sam's, being thrifty, even though her kids have kids, and haven't lived there in decades. She has a 2002 Accord LX and had a tape deck put in, but not keyless entry. (We tried to get her to buy an Acura or at least a top line Honda, but she (and I quote) "don't need all that extra stuff. It's just a car."

Not many people here feel that way about cars anymore.

Different people have different priorities; at least Acura gives ALL the options, with XM, 6-Disc CD/DVD Audio, Tape, etc; outside of MidCow's 8-tracks!
  • ontopontop Member Posts: 279
    I don't think there is any question the TL looks soooo much nicer than the Accord. The Accord is hurtin' in the styling department lately - needs an update now - the new tail isn't quite enough. Honda has moved Acura past the top end Accord enough to justify the higher price considering how much more the TL offers over the Accord. Especially at 7000 rpms where the TL roars!
    I would be ecstatic with an '06 Accord EX V6 and its ability to sip 20 cent-a-gallon cheaper unleaded 87 pump octane gasoline. Furthermore, I could just as easily be rewarded with a speeding citation in the Accord as the TL, too. Thankfully, Honda allows choice in making a decision between these cars. For those who look down their blue-blood noses at the pedestrian Honda entry, PHHhht! ;)
    Especially at 7000 rpms where the TL roars!

Where does the TL redline? I thought it was at 6800 rpm. This is where the V-6 Accord's lies.
    For those who look down their blue-blood noses at the pedestrian Honda entry, PHHhht!

What does PHHhht mean? I too considered the EXV6 before going with a TL. I think Honda knows it must differentiate the cars enough not to cannibalize each other. But the TL styling is sweeter and the TL comes with go much more than a top-o-the-line Accord. More hp, torque, better warranty and roadside assistance, TPMS, better tires, memory settings, hands free link, power passenger seat, better audio and so on. I felt the extra $ was worth it. The premium gas costs me $20 a month more. Don't get the blueblood thing. A TL isn't a Benz or a Bentley.

The Sports 4 concept Accord looks great but may be too wild for the vanilla buyer. Accord needs some help. Their sales numbers are way off. All the others in their class (except the Altima) have done a major redesign so Honda's competing now with a an early 2000 designed car vs those of a later design. C'mon Honda.
    The Sports 4 concept Accord looks great but may be too wild for the vanilla buyer. Accord needs some help. Their sales numbers are way off. All the others in their class (except the Altima) have done a major redesign so Honda's competing now with a an early 2000 designed car vs those of a later design. C'mon Honda.

I wouldn't worry too much about Honda's numbers until they start having big rebate incentives like the Camry had through a surprising length of its life. Sales numbers aren't off; actually, if you take away the Camry's fleet sales (14 total percent of all Camry sales) then the Accord is the bestselling car in America. Honda may be playing with a 4-year old design, but if memory serves me, the 2002 Accord came in second place to the new for 02 Altima, beating the brand new Camry, and Taurus and Impala in A Motor Trend Comparo years ago. I think this one will stand up tall, even if aging gracefully.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I agree. I have a gazillion cassettes which are fast becoming obsolete.
    I think a cassette player in the TL is a plus.
    At least I can play some of them in the car.
    Some of my best music is locked up on those cassettes.
  • hpowdershpowders Member Posts: 4,330
    I believe "PHHhht" is the noise that comes from a snake as it spits venom in your direction.
    Plenty of snakes in Tampa.
    When it happens, it sort of looks like this.... :P