Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    Does anyone know the part numbers for the Police versions of the engine cradle either reinforced aluminum or steel versions?
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Night_owl:::: Stop debugging your code!!!! Actually the problem is on my end. My Outlook '97 is currently acting up and it is returning a "Socket error" condition whenever I try to send and retrive E-mail messages. My A/C E-mail entry got stuck in the Outbox; therefore, it never reached you and explains why you could never find my link. I'll try to resend you the problem entry pertaining to the A/C if not tonight, first thing tomorrow morning. I am using Outlook '97 for my E-mail and IE 5.0 56-Bit Cypher strength for the browser.

Duraflex::: Negative, the cradle was examined but never touched, repaired or replaced in any way or form. The problem was confirmed (Remember that when I took the car the first time to my dealer I already had given them the diagnostic on the steering clunks) to be the Intermediate Steering Shaft, which appears to be defective (We don't know if it is a design or manufacture problem with the part itself) on a great number of Impalas built between 9/99 and 4/00 (This could change as we keep getting more reports on the same problem). The problem develops on average between 10K and 25K miles.

My cradle hasn't creaked or popped yet, but it could still happen a few thounsand miles down the road.

Have you experienced these symptoms? (Cradle popping noises or the steering column clunks?)
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    teo-I believe McGarrett drove a Mercury Marquis. There was a funny episode where an identical car parked next to his, and he returned to the other one and discovered his key did not work when it's owner returned and yelled at him. Can you imagine if everyone had the same car/color, like bikes in China? You just take any old one, they're all the same! Viva la difference! loganpd-Thanks for your input! You are just what we all need, feedback about police impala durability and engine cradle. We are like family here, and aside from the obvious difference between manufacturer and customer, I believe we all, for the most part want Chevy/GM to have a "perfect" car in the Impala. Of course, we are on opposite sides of the consumer line, but we just honestly want our cars we paid for with hard earned money, to be the most joyful and safe motoring experience and transportation needs fulfilled how they supposedly intended to have in the first place. It is not our fault that there are possible design/manufacture faults, it is theirs, and their responsibility and obligation to correct it, to keep their loyal customers and get new ones to meet a mutual goal. Satisfied customers, and successful corporate earnings to meet their personal financial needs and to continue to develop/produce quality automotive products. BTW, are your police cruisers equipt with front push bumpers/guards? I know not all are, especially here on the personal "motor patrol vehicles" the officers own and drive off duty. They have radio/siren/strobe headlights & taillights in their car when they are promoted to "motorized" and have a blue strobe dome light on a removable roof mounted metal strap when they are on uniform patrol duties. As for the photos of the cruisers, other than police markings and the steel wheels and RSA Goodyears, they all look the same visually as base Impalas with the 3.8L engine(w/o traction control), with a specific cloth seating etc. Car and Driver had an article on the police Impala quite a while back, and Auto World Weekly just had one(2 or three issues prior to the current one with the LS article). The cradle obviously must look a little different, due to the reinforced additions. platour, sorry, I don't have the part number for the police cradle, the dealer's parts/service department should have it listed, whether it is available to the public or not. I believe it is just an aluminum or steel reinforced aluminum cradle, unless it is all steel. I don't think so, it was just something myself and teo, possibly others proposed having in case the police engine cradle was found difficient, also. Like I said, Chevy/GM knows there is a deficiency in the stock cradle, simply by the fact that they made a reinforced version for such a critical part as this. They owe us to replace all defective stock cradles or recall all stock cars cradles and replace them with the police versions, or manufacture steel ones if necessary, should the police cradles by insufficient, too. The solution is out there, it is not rocket science, they just have to shell out the bucks and take the loss for their oversight to keep loyal customers happy and get new customers, and keep them. JACOB o~O-------
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    How about those Ravens!!!!!!!!Go Baltimore!!!!!!
  • taylor1276taylor1276 Member Posts: 6
    I heard the same thing from my dealer about the hesitation. He told me to try different gasses, try different octanes, and gave me a hundred excuses about why it was probably my fault that the car was stuttering. Do not listen to this B.S. My car is currently at the dealership for this prob. now.

P.S. Did anyone with the stuttering/hesitation problem have an aftermarket alarm installed on their car?
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I loved that show!! In fact the black Marquis that he drove was always a subject of lust for me (yes I am a sicko!) Of course I've had two now so that is out of my system.

The first McGarrett car was a 67 black coupe and thereafter it was a black foor door hardtop - a new one every year, naturally. Teo - you could follow this example!!

Sidebar - a couple years ago I witnessed a 30 ft or so cabin cruiser heading out to sea from Portsmouth NH harbor with the Hawaii Five-0 theme song blaring full blast while a bevy of young (topless) babes lounged on deck - ahhhhhhhhhhhh!!

Wonder if that dude drove a 90 Grand Marquis like mine? lol

Ken
    Question for you.....What are you waiting for to get relief under Lemon Law???
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    NO odd noises at this time.

Early on (first 3000 miles) I did hear some ticking noise in
    the front while parking at crawl speed. It went away and
    never came back.

At 10,500 miles, NO clunks in the steering.
    Others with up to 29,000 appear NOT have had the problem
    you did so perhaps it is a manufacturing problem on certain
    cars and NOT a design problem.

Hope your Impala stays well.

Sorry you miss the little Metro :-).
    Once again, I tried to re-submit the A/C Compressor problem entry, but unfortunately it appears to be that you have a problem in your end and it prevents you from receiving the link message:

"Your message did not reach some or all of the intended recipients.

Subject: Teo's A/C problem entry
    Sent: 1/29/01 10:12 AM

The following recipient(s) could not be reached:

impala@hawaii.rr.com?subject=Impala Problem - Resolved on 1/29/01 10:12 AM
    The recipient name is not recognized
    The MTS-ID of the original message is: c=US;a= ;p=Equitrac Corp.;l=EQU_EXCHANGE-010129151134Z-6351"

So I have decided to type the entry manually and post it here:

problem Status: Resolved
    Model: 2000 Impala LS
    Build date: 01/24/2000
    Mileage when problem first reported: 7,704 miles
    Scope: A/C Compressor unit premature failure
    Symptom: Customer states vibration sound at front of car while at idle in gear.
    Problem: A/C Compressor (Harrison V5) making vibration noise, internal component failure.
    Dealer remedy: Special order replacement A/C Compressor Part #1135281
    Days that took part to reach dealer: 7 Business days.
    Days out of service to perform repair: 1 Day
    Claim type: Warranty repair.
    I hope that the Intermediate Steering Shaft problem is the result of a bad batch issue and not a design defect. For now it appears to affect certain build date ranges and there is proof that the shaft failure is not an isolated incident but a real problem affecting a number of cars.

Some people might have the problem and yet not be able to recognize it accurately until it gets progressively worse...that's exactly what happened to me.

I will be a good idea to gather the last six digits from the VIN number and the build dates (and mileage) of cars that don't have the problem, so we can better isolate the scope of the malady.

Aside from myself, Frankencat had his steering shaft replaced also. Nossirrahg, Hank64, Shamino and Dmullins are having the same exact problem with the steering clunks. I am sure there are other 'Lurkers' that have noticed a change in the steering operation of their cars, yet they don't know what it is.

Hard to believe that GM Technical assistance has never heard of the problem before. It appears that dealers have replaced quite a bit of these intermediate shafts. The lack of a GM issued TSB or Recall campaign makes it only twice as difficult for dealers to troubleshoot the steering clunks. If the vehicle owner doesn't frequent the Internet or knows about our forum in Edmund's they are left essentially in the dark.

I haven't had the dreaded engine cradle problems or the engine hesitation problems reported by Sweetpolly and Taylor.

GM's 'tight lips' attitude in light of these problems is puzzling to say the least.
    Frank - If you haven't seen this yet you may be interested in that poster's buy back scenario.

Ken
    Thanks, I am hopping over to the Aurora forum right now...
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Tomoso... I didn't get "paid" to be in the brochure... but I did get a free trip to Detroit to get the photo taken (that's not my car, mine is Navy) and a check for my "time and travel" for taking a day off of work to fly out there. It sure has been fun. I'll be sad when the 2002 brochures come out and my 15 minutes of fame will be gone. I'm going to my city's auto show this Saturday and I thought it would be fun to flip open a brochure at the Chevy display and sign a few copies.. heheheheh..

Jacob... on your keyboard is a huge button that says "Enter" (or Return, but probably not unless your computer is REALLY old. Two down from the "L"... try hitting that thing a time or two while your posting. It makes it so old folks like me can follow your messages easier. Just a thought..

Ken... when you say you see more Impalas in Portland... you mean Maine, right? Some of us in the Northwest get confused...
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Ugh, I was worried something like that was happening. I'm gonna have to remove the form until I resolve this with my ISP. Thanks for the info and for trying so many times. =)
    Very interesting...

"2K1 (2001 Aurora V8) AV8 Problems and Actions

I wrote awhile back about engine surging problems that I was having. This post is to provide an update for anyone interested. Keep in mind that this vehicle was purchased as the 'car of my dreams' after extensive research and test drives of just about everything on the market. I brought within my budget but would have paid more if I felt it was worthwhile; ie, the Volvo S80 T6 or the Audi A6 2.7T but I couldn't stomach the Audi's rear styling or the Turbo lag and service problems of the Volvo. Not to knock these cars...just not for me.
    Back to the Aurora: mine is/was a silvermist V8 with heated seats, Bose, 12 disc and chrome wheels. Seeing the car for the first time after it was delivered from the factory (special order because I didn't want a sunroof) was the cat's meow. After driving the car I knew I had made the right decision. But then a seemingly minor problem turned into a major one.
    What was happening almost from day one was that when the engine was cold and I would step on the gas in drive then let off- the whole car would surge and buck like it was going to stall but never did. The oscillations would last about 6 or so times then the car would even out and return to a normal idle. I could not dplicate this with a fully warmed engine although the service department at my dealership said they could. This surging was unnoticeable if I accelerated with an even pedal- only when I stepped on the gas then quickly let off. I noticed this first while at a light and starting off; only to quickly back off the gas with someone coming the other way. Then, I could duplicate this everytime because I knew how. Mind you, I wasn't looking for trouble but found it nonetheless in these circumstances.
    A couple of trips to the dealer netted the following. The first trip was a diagnosis in which they could easily duplicate the problem but could not fix it. The second trip involved an upper tier technician who came in and couldn't fix the problem either. The car has the latest software download as it was made in October and all looked OK on the computer diagnostics. I brought the car in for checking on the 13th of Dec. and on the 15th a decision was made to stop work as no positive results were achieved. Within a few short days of this, I was informed that GM was buying back the car and getting me a new duplicate. A nationwide locate produced 2 cars the same as mine but they were in the south and midwest and because I live in the northeast, a fresh vehicle was ordered from the factory. I should get it in the next 2 or 3 weeks.
    Some observations: My service rep reported that GM had 2 other cars with my symptoms and they could also not be fixed. I never lost my cool or ranted and raved with frustration but I didn't want to be 'deadended' in a long drawn out ordeal so I kept pressuring the dealer and service department for a solution. As it turns out, not much pressure was needed. I'm surprised that GM didn't offer to replace the engine as I'm sure that's what Chrysler would have done in the same situation (after having had 4 problematic Jeep Grand Cherokees). Supposedly GM plans to take my car and tear it apart to find the problem but the good news is that I don't have to make payments on it while they do. As well, GM is footing the bill for an '00 Deville while my new car is coming- they offered a Grand AM but I wanted something comparable. The response to my request for the Deville was a quick yes.
    The long and short is that although my 'dream car' had a major problem, along with a few other minor fit and finish issues, GM is absolutely supporting and backing their product. I understand that my new car will automatically come with th 5/60 warranty so thats a nice little bonus also. Believe it or not, I look forward to getting out of the Deville and into my AV8 when it comes. The Deville is a super car but a little too big and boaty for my tastes. Will post with updates or more info as I remember."

The squeaky wheel gets the grease!
    Yes, I live about 40 miles south of Portland Maine.

I bet that would be a blast to sign Impala brochures! Maybe other product endorsements coming? You ought to sign on with an agent!

Ken
    Do any of you Impala owners experience interference on the FM band when you turn on the rear defroster?

This morning I found absolutely NO FM reception - completely static up and down the dial - and then turned off the rear defroster and immediately got the reception back. The AM band has a bit of static but very minor.

Is this isolated to my particular '00 Bonnie or widespread for the RDS unit?

Thanks

Ken
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    Ken,

I have not experienced any reception problems with the radio and the rear defroster both operating at the same time. Good luck finding the solution to that one.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Just had to share this. My car came with one year of OnStar service (2001 LS) and I never got around to activating the system to register with the OnStar service center. After my 3ed post card from them, I decided to try it out on my way to work.

Interesting system. Press the OnStar button twice and the radio mutes and a female voice announces "Welcome to OnStar." After a bit, I heard a fast busy signal then the system went silent. Then another voice came on welcoming me to the OnStar system. After reading the manual, I learned that if the system encounters a busy signal, it will try 4 times to connect.

Anyway, the system told me I could either register with the system, or disconnect. Shortly, a operator came on the line and I told her that I wanted to register with the system.

Unfortunately, I could hear her, but she couldn't hear me. Apparently, this is not an unusual occurance, because after three "hellos" she said she was terminating the call because we couldn't establish voice communication. At the end of the call it struck me that the radio volume might control the mic volume so I called back and fiddled with with the control while trying to talk with the operator. No such luck. Keep in mind that I didn't know where the mic is in the car.

I got to work and called OnStar from my office phone. The operator suggested that I turn up my radio. I told her that I was already blasting it, but I would try again. So I popped back down to my car, cranked it up and tried again.

Needless to say it didn't work. However the funny part of it was while I was sitting in my car, yelling at the top of my lungs to try and get through to the operator, a person walks past the front of the vehicle, all the time staring at me.

I think the mic is in the mirror and I have an appointment to take the car in to have it looked at it. I'm hoping they can just change out the mirror and I can get my car back quickly.
    To date, my 2001 LS has 3500 miles, still no unusual noises or vibrations. Considering I put 1300-1500 miles per month on it, it won't be long and the problem will be showing up, if it is there. The only noises I have noticed are the ticking noise when the car is parked in the garage after driving it for 30 miles, but that is just the engine cooling off. Couldn't be anything else, the car isn't even moving. I am starting to get just a bit paranoid about ticks and clunks though. Find myself in the garage with the window down turning the steering wheel and listening for noises.
    My OnStar was activated at the dealership when I picked up the car. The salesman did it, while I was in the car watching. He was speaking in a normal voice and I think the mic was in the mirror. I am still undecided on the value of OnStar if I was paying for it. I have not yet activated the 30 minutes of free cellular service with the system. With the antenae and hands free operation, that might be beneficial, but $200 for the OnStar service still seems steep, especially when that doesn't include the trip routing service and help if you are lost.
    Keep those posts rolling!
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    I DO NOT have that static problem on my Impala.

Check that the antenna plug in trunk that connects
    to built-in glass antenna is fully inserted.
    That might solve your static problem in the Bonnie

Also - does the Pontiac have a trunk amp ?
    If so, what's the make and how does it sound?
    The Bonnie SE comes standard with a Delco 100 or 200 series Stereo system. Really good sound, plenty of bass and crisp highs. I wish we had this system in the Impala LS. I forgot to check the trunk to see if an amp was installed under the rear seat shelf.

While I like the stereo in the Impala as far as ergonomics and cool functionality, GM really cheated us bad with the trunk mounted AMP.

The radio is the only reason I miss the tinny Metro ;-)
    That if you pick the in-dash CD player in the Impala, GM forces you to get the trunk mounted AMP, whereas, if you select the AM/FM Tape player system, you don't get the useless trunk mounted amp, hence much better sound quality.
    How's the tranny in your Impala? Has it been acting up recently?
    Where are you buddy? Did I scare you away? ;-)
    Has anyone seen Chimp00? I know he had the engine cradle problem but I wonder if he still drives his Impala LS??
    I think Mine is in the front - I see a T shaped element accross about 24 inches on the passenger side of the windshield. I assume this to be the antenna although I suppose it is possible that there is another element built into the rear window too. I'll check it out.

BTW - speaking of rear window elements - another thing I have noticed in my Bonneville is that the bottom of the rear window, below the bottom element, is distorted such that it is noticeable when looking through the rear view mirror. It is definitely not the mirror - I can turn around and see the distortion. Anything like this on your cars? Bonneville is great - but not perfect!

Ken
    No window distorsions or FM radio interference.

Only complaint in the interior of the Impala is that in cars equipped with the automatic rearview mirror and overhead trip computer, the mirror seems to be mounted very low in the windshield and gets in the way when making a right turn.

My solution for now has been to tilt the seat down completely so I can gain a better fiedl of view without the mirror getting in the way.

I am sure the mirror can be raised a bit, but haven't tried as I am too afraid of damaging the cables and plastic cover that runs from the overhead trip computer assembly.

Any other ideas to raise the mirror out of view?
    A few days ago I came accross a review on the Y2K Bonneville SE and the author really dislike the comfort of the standard seats...he says that after 1 hour it would give him backpains.

When I test drove the '00 Bonneville SE with the front bench seats, they seemed and felt very comfortable, but again it was just a 20 minute test drive.

Since you drive long distances, have you had any problems with the seats in terms of comfort and support?

How about the rear seats?

By the way, this is the link to the review....Do you agree with his assesment of the car??? I think he was way too harsh on the evalution. ironically, the same author liked the Impala LS a lot.

http://www.thecarplace.com/bonne.htm

http://www.thecarplace.com/impala.htm

• 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Maybe they should call it 2000 Impala / Bonneville 12????? Do we have to read a laundry list of Bonneville Specs/Features/problems on this Impala Page? Sorry, I went off subject one time and was chastised once that this is an IMPALA forum, Just a little revenge.
    is that I find the driver's seat to be very comfortable (I have buckets, not bench) and my carpool buddy voices -and snores- his praises of the other side. I did find that raising the rear of the seat cushion to its highest position produced significantly better comfort than having a more raked cushion angle. My comparison to Impala is that I felt a variety of comfortable positions in that seat - and have found an adjustment comfortable for me in this car. I'll update my impression after my first 1000 mile round trip to Pa. next month.

I haven't logged any time in the back seat but my 11 y.o. son did complain of not being able to see much out the front.

I'll think more about this reviewer's other comments and address them later.

Ken
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    I called a dealer today wanting to see if I would get a loaner car while my car is in the shop. Well to my surprise he said no, only if the car stays in over night, thats GM's policy but I still pay the tax on whatever car they give me $38 limit.. Fine I said but what if I drop off in the morning then how do I get to work? He said rent a car. So, I will be dropping of the car this week. The problems I have are faint clunking on the steering wheel and brake pedal (Teo syndrome) and faint loose bearing noise when decelerating in park. The second problem could also be a "Teo syndrome", something about the AC? Teo what did you hear when the AC was bad?
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Edmunds lift the 1000 message limit when changed to the new WWW format and software.
  • cabellocabello Member Posts: 101
    yeah I know. I just wanted to be 1000.......
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    Hi Taylor,

The hesitation I was having on start up hasn't happened since the car was at the dealer. The car has been starting up nicely and I've noticed my start-up revs to 2000 rpm instead of below 1000 rpm (when I was having that hesitation). I don't know what they did at the dealer, but, I'm sure glad my car seems to be running like it did when I first picked it up! My only gripe now is the poor rear window defroster. I don't know about any of you, but, it takes too long for my rear window to defrost. Sure, it's in the 40s here now and we normally don't have temperatures that low during the daytime (mostly 60s or low 70's in the early morning).

Would you other impala owners please tell me how long it's taking your rear windows to defrost and let me know what the temperature is in the area you're in. Thanks
    by my Bonneville comparisons here. I had thought I'd found a home here and then got waylaid by the car I bought. BTW - this forum is first rate - lots of participation and interesting folks - more so than others I've read.

I do try to always try to make posts relevant to Impala interests and features.

Teo - maybe you and I should start our own forum: "Impala/Bonneville dialogue or North meets South"

Ken
    Thanks for the push, brother! Finally we are at 1000!

Re: A/C, if you read post #960, that will give you an overview of the problem I had with the A/C Compressor. Essentially, the problem was that I would hear a loud vibration noise coming from the engine compartment when coming to a full stop or the car was left on idle. When I took it to the dealer, they told me that the compressor was shot and it was about to self destruct shortly. Ironically, the A/C was still churning out cold air but I could tell some decreased performance from the system. When I asked the technician why my compressor had gone south with only 7,000 miles on the meter, his reply was "Oh well you just got a bad one from the factory, we'll replace the compressor so bring it back in next week." So I did. 7,000 miles later, the A/C still working and no funny noises are heard.

My gut feeling is that if the compressor wasn't defective, when they install it at the factory I am sure that they didn't adjust the drive belt properly and this could have prompted the premature failure of the compressor...who knows.

Are you having the same symptoms?

And by the way, thanks for labeling these problems "The TEO syndrome"...I am sure that from now own GM tech center will label these issues under my nickname...so next time you have a steering clunk noise or shot A/C compressor, just tell the service writer...I have a case of TEO's syndrome! ;-)
    You are more than welcome to stay. The Bonneville and the Impala share lots of parts including the entire drivetrain, so I think your participation in this forum is more than relevant.

But..I am open to the idea of the new "North meets South" forum...:-)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I believe the Police Impala is built on the same assembly line as the civilian one. If they strengthened the Police aluminum cradle for 2001 they more than likely did the same for the civilian one. Why they went with an aluminum steering knuckle with the civilian , how much more would it have cost to go with the steel one like the Police version. Doesn't make sense. As someone stated earlier some civilian owners drive there cars as rough as the Police. Now we find out the bumpers are less than par. Chevy bragged that they spend 4 years researching this car to meet police standards. Come on! Police version back seats are cramped with no leg or knee room. The police officers that I have spoken with indicate the car lacks POWER. With over 500 pounds of Police equipment the 3800 is underpowered. The civilian 3800, Honda Accord, Toyota Camray etc..will out accelerate the Police version. 0-60 1/4 mile & top speed. It was designed more for small departments to putter around town in. Ford has upped the horsepower in their latest version 4.6. The police impala really needs a small v8 or that new inline 6 to be competetive. The car also needs 17" wheels like most of its competetors offer. Dodge Intrepid example.

I have seen some posts where Impala owners have said I have 15000 miles and no problems. No one should have any major problems at 15000 miles. When the time comes Most everyone should be able to say I have 150,000 miles and no major problems.

Hopefully in 2002 just 2 years before GM replaces this current Impala (who knows what they will call the replacement maybe they will call it the Celebrity or Citation or Vega), they get these major defaults repaired/replaced for the current owners that are having problems. These many major problems wouldn't happen with your Japenese cars. They do their homework, thats why they are # 1 !! Maybe 1 day GM will spend more money and time on research before turning out these problem vehicles.
    What type of gas are you using?

Just a taught: back in the day when the very first Impala owners complained about the 'sudden engine shutdown' problem, the causes of the syndrome were believed to be the:

1) Crankshaft Sensor
    2) Oxygen sensor
    3) Ignition cylinder lock.

I haven't heard about this problem in the longest, but I still believe than aside from these causes, the quality of the gasoline has a lot to do with some of the most common engine problems.

Are you sure the dealer didn't change a sensor in the engine? or cleaned the fuel system? No mention of neither in the repair ticket?

For the 2000 model year, GM made some changes to the 3800 V6 engine to get it certified for ULEV emissions standards. These changes could have brought some problems on early 2000 manufacture engines but corrected later on. Remember that pre-1999 3800 V6 engines are only LEV certified.

Keep us posted on your engine's performance.

Taylor:::: Good luck in your situation and I fully symphatize with you. If the dealer can't solve your engine problems, the time has come for you to become intimate with your state's Lemon laws.
    The current Impala will not be replaced in the model year 2002...where did you read/hear this??

the current Impala is a W-body derivative sedan and it is scheduled for production until model year 2004. For 2005, the car will be all new and built on GM's new global platform codenamed 'Mid-Lux' and it is very likely that the car will be once again RWD..and yes it will still be called Impala.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    Said I was "Sorry" Just A long time ago I was mentioning the Monte Carlo and got a few.."Hey, IS this not an IMPALA Forum?" Doesn't matter to me, I just think if you go over to the Bonneville Forum, with A bunch of Impala Specs ,Opinions and Comments,(I mean 20+) you would not last too long? eh? Anyway, The Rear Defroster is a bit slow for some, I have my rear window Tinted, I thought it would hamper the warm up time and ruin the Tint, The guy said it would actualy "HELP" the Defroster work and Help the Tint Bond,News to me.. Seems to be right, I have no problems with it...or the Tint Teo....I am going to follow your Center Console Directions this Friday, Day off, and Get that thing into shape, I hear a Chirp under the A/C control within the Console, I wiggled it and found it to be Within the Console..it must be one of those Screws you mentioned, I have used some WD40 on the seams in the past, with good results, but have never tightend any screws, The time has come for that to be done`...Lets go for 2000 posts... DW
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    No engine work was listed on the repair slip. The engine was gone over with a fine tooth comb and it appeared to be running at GM spec (so the service manager says). Who knows, maybe something was "loose" and they tightened it in the process!
    Hey, everybody? how come every time I come back to the end of this message board, the numbers keep changing, last I know it was up to #1005, now the number for the same last message is #996!

Anyway, here goes...cookie01, sorry, just trying not to use too much space with all I have to say.

teo/charts2, if we keep complaining about lack of power on an otherwise good engine, but compare it to "Ford" products, you think we can resurrect the SS? Nothing is impossible, and charts2, I agree with you, it don't make sense not to just put the steel spindles/hubs in the police Impala. I don't think they improved the police engine cradle for 2001, I haven't heard of any problems with them, but they might have done so for the stock piece.

tpken-the radio antenna, as of what I read somewhere is in the back window with the defroster. Why isolated problems, I don't know. What you have in front may be the antenna for the On Star, if you have a '01.

blckthree-the owner's manual states that when driving slow, the ABS system may be clicking to calibrate itself and is normal. Other than the steering shaft problem, would it be funny if that was the source of the noise, and there is no problem with the engine cradle? LOL!!!

JACOB
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I guess its a matter of opinion, but every officer ive ever spoken to or read comments about , the impala was pretty powerfull to them,the top speed has been limited to 124 , ungoverend would run about 134 mph , ( chevrolet MDV testing ) , there is an article on lawandordermag.com, about the police impala racing around a police track , with new crown vics , older LT1 caprices , and even older cop cars , and ever time around the track , it spanked the crown vic and the older cars , and a few times it out ran the LT1 caprice , pretty good article .
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    No need for apologies. If we cannot cross-compare vehicles then of what use is a Forum? I have posted a few tid-bits here related to my 1979 Corvette and have never been abused. When, you get right down to it, this is an automobile Forum (albeit Impala focussed) but there is latitude for comments on other "family" telations such as the Monte Carlo and the Pontiac.
    mcdill-nice to have you back. I was wondering where you were, it's just teo knows you better and spoke up about it. Yes, I believe the engine is pretty peppy, many automotive journalists comment about it. It's just that the police version is so burdened down by the weight of all the equipment, and maybe too much donuts? LOL But it is somewhat lighter than the bigger "boats" the PDs have. The speed limiter, per the C&D article awhile back is due to underhood heat problems, but that it can run all day at 124MPH. but for some, you can never have enough horsepower. Anyway, what's in the police Impala brochure that not mentioned in the mags, etc. Is it a book like the Impala brochure, or just a "pamphlet?" Thanks, Jacob
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    If you read my post again it says: "Hopefully in 2002, just 2 years before GM replaces this current Impala. Meaning in 2004. I get my information like you through car magazines, new articles etc.. This information you are talking about the W platform was in Motor Trend a few months back. My gist of what I said was Chevy makes a model platform for a few years then changes. Never allowing a car line to improve year after year. Look at Honda. Basically the same platform for several years. Every year they keep improving it,streaching a little, improving interior, engine etc. rather than dumping it. I used the example Citation, Celebrity, and Vega because these cars also had short runs in the platform they were on. Chevy spent very little money and attention to the problems these vehicles had. The current Impala as you have stated has been frustrating to you and many others. A car that costs up to $26K shouldn't have major problems, like popping cradles, weak bumpers, low quality stereo systems, and steering problems, and I believe I read in the Pontiac posts that you might be interested in switching to a Pontiac GranPrix GT., it doesn't seem to have any serious problems. When you read these magazine articles you must know that before it even gets close to making a final decision the platform, name of the vehicle, etc changes several times. I remember a few years ago when GM stated that Chevrolet was going to dump all its large and medium sized cars and make only small cars. I wish that GM would make a platform that will stay the course and improve year after year instead of. "LETS TRY THIS / LETS TRY THAT" CURRENTLY CHEVY MAKES VERY LITTLE IF ANY ON ITS CAR LINES. THEY MAKE MOST OF THEIR MONEY ON THE TRUCKS. THE REASON GM LIKES TO SELL A LOT OF SMALL CARS BECAUSE THEY HAVE TO HAVE A LOW FLEET AVERAGE MILES PER GALLON IN ORDER TO KEEP THE GAS GUZZLING TAX LOW ON THEIR v8 POWERED TRUCKS. EVERY FLEET AVERAGE MILE PER GALLON INCREASE, INCREASES THE GAS GUZZLING TAX ON THEIR TRUCKS, AND THATS WHERE THEY MAKE THEIR COIN. I would rather them keep this current Impala and improve on it. As I stated I have been a Chevy fan for over 35 years, but I am not afraid to state the truth. A company thats been producing cars for over 89 years should get most of it right by now.