Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• bill124bill124 Posts: 242
    Thanks for the advice. Do you need a rubber plunger or will the "super plunger" that is plastic (orange -- Home Depot version)suffice? The reason I ask is I am concerned the plastic could leave a mark (and I'd have to borrow someone's rubber version).
  • the plastic one, always used the basic rubber plunger. Have had the same one for many years. Wish I could give you a definative on the plastic but can't. Better borrow your neighbors just to be safe.
  • dlncmaydlncmay Posts: 27
    Tboner, be careful Masshoosier is going to give you a run for your money with regard to creative ideas ;) A plunger to remove dings, hmmmmm

Take care.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Posts: 647
    ...to the raised floor tile pullers (aka tile suckers) that we have in some of our customers computer rooms :)

However, those are for the really big dents.

Cheers,

TB
  • julyarjulyar Posts: 35
    or will a new clean one get out the dent too? LOL
  • It might depend on what you had to eat the night before.
  • javadocjavadoc Posts: 1,167
    Ack, too much information. ;-)
  • dispatch1dispatch1 Posts: 30
    I've used dry ice before to "pop" dings and minor hail damage out before. Works pretty well. I've always put the DI in a ziplock bag and just rub over the area. You don't want to put the DI on the bare paint - I hear it can damage paint. I've always wrapped it.

Note: If you've never been around dry ice, you do not want to touch it with your hands - use gloves. Don't lick it or eat it either. (I apologize if you knew this - some don't)
  • wallahwallah Posts: 5
    I was looking at the mazda site www.mazda.com and viewing the MPV's on other countries sites. I found that some, see this picture, http://www.mazda.com.au/newmpv/754.html have 3 seats in the second row and 2 seats in the rear. Subtle differences but fun to see how Mazda adapts to the other countries needs.
  • mbaniakmbaniak Posts: 1
    I've been reading the MPV posts since April and have heard many rumors about the 2001 MPV.
    Someone posted that they
    are going into production in August, and will
    show up at the dealership in September but no
    confirmations on the possibility of the 3.0L V6
    coming. I also heard the 3.0L V6 engines are not going in and are being utilized for the Mazda Tributes. I'm deciding between the MPV and the
    new Mazda Tribute that will get me more power and better acceleration. There has been ALOT of praising articles on the Mazda Tribute/Ford Escape and I will be waiting to drive the Tribute to see how it compares to the MPV which I've driven twice now.
    Anyone done any more digging to find out if the 3.0L engine will show up in the 2001 MPV ? Checked all
    the car magazine web sites, and found no articles.
    It looks like both the Mazda MPV and Tribute will
    be real close in price as well if some incentives
    kick in during the fall. If the wife finds the
    Tribute functional and roomy with my 4 and 2 year old, we may go for the Tribute.
    I will give up some storage space, but will
    get 4WD also. I still like the MPV but need more
    power.
  • Hello. I've been reading the MPV boards for quite some time, but this is my first post. I called Mazda Customer Service of Friday to ask about incentives, but just happened to ask them if they knew if the 2001 MPV's would have the 3.0 engine. What the fella told me is that it won't, and most likely won't until 2002. The only changes in 2001 will be that the 3 in 1 audio and the keyless entry will become standard, and that there will be slight color modifications to the white and silver. I don't remember him telling me anything else. I still have yet to buy an MPV yet, and will probably wait until September 6 when the current incentives (financing) ends and hopefully a better incentive will come along. He did tell me that the 2001 models will start production in August and should be on lots some time in late from September to October.

Hope this helps,
    STeve
  • meerameera Posts: 50
    Anyone else with white out there having A LOT of chips? I swear the front already has more rock chips than my 91 did. Today I found a huge piece of paint missing around the rim of the gas tank lid. Who knows how this happened. I do like the color though, it's an off white instead of a bright white. Thanks for the info Steve. Good luck with your future purchase.
  • bugabooxbugaboox Posts: 23
    I stumbled across this new link on Edmund's web pages that summarizes changes to all 2001 models. This is the first article I've seen about any across-the-board 2001 auto changes. Though it only refers to the Tribute in the Mazda section, I'm sure once Mazda releases its lineup changes, Edmunds will be the first to bring it to us.

http://www.edmunds.com/whatsnew2001/index.html

On a sadder note, I'm disappointed a bigger engine will not debut on the otherwise stunning MPV. We believe that the current drivetrain will produce premature transmission problems two or three years down the line, something we have already experienced in an underpowered car. I will keep monitoring the MPV threads here to see what happens, especially the MPV Problems topic.

For now, we're leery about the drivetrain and the uncertainty of Mazda's corporate and dealership changes now that Ford is in charge. This is enough for us to say that Mazda has lost a sale.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Posts: 196
    Your link from underpowered engines to transmissions is flawed. It is everyones assumption that Honda is not underpowered yet we continue to read about tranny and engine problems on the Oddy threads. Even to the point that an engine block was seeping oil. While I understand your concerns and believe a larger engine would have placed the MPV on the throne, I find my MPV to be a joy to drive and am much happier I found it instead of buying the Oddy. If your waiting, its really not worth the fretting and worry.
  • bugabooxbugaboox Posts: 23
    I respectfully disagree based on experience and my mechanic's advice. My 1992 Mitsubishi Expo produces about 116 hp/125 ft-lbs. of torque driving appr. a 3000 pound car with a similar profile to the MPV. We noticed how it struggled, more now as an older car, going up hills, when the a/c is turned on, driving with a full load, etc. That engine has relatively the same torque curve as the MPV's, i.e., it has a hard time getting to cruising speed, but once it's there, it's happy as can be and wants to do more. And we started noticing transmission problems two years into ownership (wouldn't back up, inching along while gunning the engine when the car was in drive, etc.) that were intermittent and could not be duplicated when the car was taken in for service. At 55,000 miles the overdrive clutch went out completely on the road to Houston from San Antonio. Thankfully, 3rd gear got us home but we were passed by trucks towing mobile homes (how embarrassing!). Thankfully, also, the drivetrain warranty was 5/60, so we wound up paying nothing except for the aggravation. We've been told several times that Expos are known for transmission problems.

Which begs the question: if a transmission has to shift a lot and work harder to use the engine's power to move the car, isn't there generally a greater chance of early transmission problems due to "overuse" (for lack of a better word) than if that wasn't the case? My mechanic told me that generally a weak engine will create more wear on the transmission than on the engine itself because the transmission has to work harder to find the engine's power to move the car. And we have to consider that given the Expo's engine and record.

Your response seems to suggest that because the Ody is not underpowered that it shouldn't be suffering through all its engine and tranny problems. I would generally agree with that. Could it be that these problems could be caused by another reason, such as Honda's use of inferior or defective engines and transmissions in its products? I would think and hope not, but I stay open to the possibility.

I owned a Honda Accord whose camshaft broke at 19,000 miles. Thankfully it too was under warranty, but I was without a car for 12 days, and thankfully it happened in a parking lot going 2 miles an hour in reverse. If I'd been on the freeway, I probably would not be having this conversation with you. Needless to say, everyone's surprised at my Honda story because they are generally looked at as being highly reliable vehicles, and they are stunned when I tell them that. Even Hondas are not exempt from problems, and I never felt the Accord was underpowered. I feel, but certainly can't prove, that the engine or its camshaft was defective.

When it comes right down to it, buying a car is a crapshoot. You play the numbers, go with the generalities and reputations, and take your chances. Many people win, some lose. Sounds like you've won and you're happy with your purchase. Had it not been for previous experience, I too would've purchased the MPV a while ago. But the Expo hasn't died yet (knock on wood) and I'm not desperate to buy. I personally think the fretting and worry is worth it, because I don't feel I can make a $25K mistake. Then again, that's just me!
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Posts: 196
    Thats understandable considering your history with car problems. I have been fortunate in the fact that the last four cars I have purchased have not had any problems of the sort. Then again they were Buicks and Olds. I waited a year to get the van fretting and worrying all the while. Then I noticed the trend in the problem threads. I suppose I began trusting my fellow posters like yourself. At least with the Mazda you get an additional 15k miles over the Oddy. I figure if I develop a problem it will be within that first 50k, and that will be Mazda's problem. In the mean time its the sunroof open, Queen cranking on the stereo and the cruise on at least 70. If the tranny does go I won't even hear it!
    Well now I have a big chip -- about a 1/4 inch, on the passenger's side front quarter panel surrounding the engine. No idea how the wife got it, but it goes right down to the black underneath the paint and it sticks out like a sore thumb on the white van. Anyone used the touchup paint? I called local dealer and he said he has the white in stock. Considering a body shop but figure I'll try it first and if it still looks bad, then go to them if it looks bad and only if they can assure me they won't spray any more than a very small area.

Price for rear bumper plate in ny-- $40. Anyone do better?
  • kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Posts: 11
    I just got my first scratch! 3 weeks old, 526 miles...ouch! It's on the rear bumper below the bumper plate. It looks like a front license plate bracket hit it. I just got touch-up paint but I am kind of afraid to use it. The dealer said that paint code 4F (sand mica) is an old color. He said that it was used as early as 94 protege's. I wonder if the touch up paint is old too. It's even off center, so I couldn't even put something over it, like an emblem or something.
    Be thankful that the bumper plate is only plastic and that scratching it doesn't really have conseqences beyond the scratch like RUST! So you don't feel alone, I too have scratches on the rear bumper that won't be covered by the bumper plate I am having picked up tomorrow (best price $32 -- same dealer said $50 in Feb.). The wife dropped the stroller on the bumper plate on 2 different occassions. One of the scratches will be covered but the other won't because it is on the side of the bumper that faces other cars. I definitely intend to use the touchpup paint on the bumper because there really isn't much you can do to hurt it.
  • jwstanjwstan Posts: 2
    I have a three month old white 2000 ES that has been chipping more than I would have expected. The hood and front bumper are the most problem areas but the back bumper is beginning to show some unusual wear, too. Also, I had a friend lean up against the right sliding door with her hand on the body panel. It left a crease where she applied a little pressure.

I just got a call from Mazda USA doing a follow-up questionnaire and discussed these issues with the interviewer. She lead me to believe that I would be contacted by Mazda to discuss my concerns.

We'll see. Other than these two things it has been a great vehicle.
  • ndesmithndesmith Posts: 5
    I paid $23 for my rear bumper step plate. I bought it at cost when I bought my MPV. I live in the Seattle area.
    Very interesting posting. I really can't say I have wide spread chipping but the chip I referred to is troublesome after reading your posting as I can't be sure it was the result of something hitting the van (e.g., shopping cart, car door) as opposed to it just coming off. It is on one of the lines of the quarter panel on the front end near the passenger's door. It is high enough up so that it would be difficult to be a door that banged it and there isn't really a dent, just the missing paint. I never saw something like it since there isn't really any mark, just the missing paint. When was your van made? Mine was 8/99.

$23 was great price on the bumper plate. Bought it today for $32.
  • jimjpsjimjps Posts: 146
    I notice several references (like Edmund's) to the LEV (calif) MPV having 160 hp instead of 170HP. Yet I see no reference to reduced HP for the same Duratec engine in the Cougar, Mystique or Contour for LEV states. A little puzzling to me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what accounts for the 10 hp drop? Is it a different more restrictive catalytic converter or a program change in the chip?
    Well, I'm not alone with this problem either. My van is 7/99. I'm going to call mazda about it.
  • not40yetnot40yet Posts: 10
    I've been reading these boards for some time now, and I thought it was time to share an interesting tidbit...

Last night I saw Mazda's new ad for the 2001 MPV: the theme is "zoom, zoom, zoom", the music is upbeat and playful, and they compare it to the RX-7 and the Miata! Any bets that there's a bigger engine in the MPV's future?

Mazda has said since it's introduction that they want to position the MPV as the "sports car of mini-vans", but they've taken a beating in the press, as we all know, because of the sub-par acceleration performance (sorry, but a spade is a spade is a spade).

I know that plenty of people like myself have been keeping a close eye on the MPV because it fits so well with our needs (I really don't need a bus, but I would like 7 passenger seating), and one of our mutual concerns has been power. In my case, we live in the mountains and I want to tow a small tent camper - the 2.5l just won't cut it.

(My Forester's 2.5l 4-cylinder beats Mazda's 6 in HP, peak torque, and low-end pulling power, and does all that while meeting NLEV emissions in all 50 states. What the heck is Mazda doing with those extra cylinders anyway?)

The ad said that August 17th is the official launch date for the 2001's.

By the way, there have been a few posts from people who have called Mazda or a dealer on the larger engine issue for next year. As someone who's been involved with product launches before, I can tell you that those people who do know at Mazda have been sworn to secrecy under penalty of losing their job, and those that don't know won't find out until after the fact. Mazda has to move their current inventory, and that's just the way it's done.

I'm very hopeful for the bigger engine. Advertising is expensive. They wouldn't spend the money on image if they couldn't fit the bill.

Food for thought...sorry for the long post.
    Is your problem wide spread or concentrated? I presume your MPV is white.
  • elvis_hooelvis_hoo Posts: 12
    I have almost never heard of the mainstream automotive media being surprised at the last minute by a major upgrade in any car or truck. Look at Mazda's own Tribute SUV; it was being test-driven and written about long before it was released (has it even been released?).

Thus, I find it difficult to believe that the 3.0L will magically appear in the 2001 MPV without any advance warning. I would be very pleasantly surprised if Mazda were to do so, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on it at this point. A few months ago, I would have bet on the 3.0L appearing very soon, but since I've seen absolutely nothing in the press about it, I'm downgrading my prediction.

They will have to do something soon, but I fear that they are hunkering down until 2002 or very late in the 2001 model year. Not that it matters much to me, as I've been enjoying my 2.5L MPV since March, but I do hate to see my vehicle harangued in the press for being underpowered.
  • derekyeuderekyeu Posts: 7
    IMHO, the dealers and Mazda USA have everything reason not to mention anything about the 3.0 engine for 2001 model even it really is coming. What are they going to do with all these underpowered 2000 models, if the better engine is just around the corner. We will only know when the car is in the dealer's lot.

-derek
  • not40yetnot40yet Posts: 10
    You make a good point about the trade rags.

It's clear that the mainstream automotive media are willing partners in advertising up and coming models, i.e. that they're fed information intended by the manufacturers for public consumption (all the "secret" exposes notwithstanding - with the amount of money on the line, no magazine is going to risk irritating an auto manufacturer).

I do wonder about the case where the manufacturer is concerned about moving inventory at the end of the model year.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. Fortunately, we have only a few weeks before we find out.
    If it's the same commercial I saw, I think they were trying to get people interested in the new model (Tribute) coming up in 2001. They just kept flashing pictures of all the other Mazda's and saying how sporty, great, etc they were and then at the end mention something new is coming for 2001. That's what I got out of it anyhow. I'm interested to see what they do for the 2001 MPV also.