Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• ehennessehenness Member Posts: 92
    Generally, the Impala is competitive performance-wise with the Crown Victoria and now (starting in '02) the Dodge Intrepid. The CV has going for it the fact that it's a RWD car. Police agencies have a bias against FWD, somewhat justified, somewhat not. This wasn't helped by the '92-'95 Taurus police car, which had a lot of front end and driveshaft problems due to the severe use the cops give cruisers (and the non-stop nature of the use). Baltimore had a lot of them, and they had the most problems.

On the other hand, thanks to Chevy's special vehicles crew, the Lumina and now the Impala have proven themselves as worthy cop cars in areas where they can be useful.

Don't forget that there are two classes of cop car. Pursuit (for state police and highway patrol units) and patrol class (need a rugged car but not necessarily a pavement-ripping acceleration rate). Patrol class cars are often used in urban areas (explaining why in the mid-1980s, NYPD actually used Plymouth Reliants as acceptable patrol cars, and their Highway Patrol division used the faster Plymouth Gran Fury with their V8s).

The Impala is a bit different, in the sense that it's a pursuit class car (I believe it's the first time a FWD has been that competitive) and not just a patrol class car. The Intrepid is now the same.

You can get copies of the Michigan State Police cop car testing results for the last several years at http://www.nlectc.org/testing/vehicles.html, the National Law Enforcement and Corrections Technology Center's website. They describe the testing process. They do not test with lights, since they can't be consistent due to the many different brands of lights available to police departments.

You can also check out the series of copcar books on Chrysler, Ford, and Chevrolet police cars written by Edwin Sanow. They are great sources of info (someone mentioned the first Mopar book above).

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    There is a 9C1 that has the 3.05 gear and there is a 9C3(I think)that has the 3.29 gear used for patrol duty not pursuit work.

There is also a taxi cab version.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    We have the neutral cloth buckets. Good contrast with the Superior Blue. It's a medium blue, not as dark as the navy used in previous years.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    "A nice improvement IMO is that the Imp and LS lettering is now painted the body color...if they would only paint out the little mammal and grille chrome..."

"NOW painted body colour?
    My 2000 has those items painted white, like the body of the car. But the Impala IS chrome, and I, for one, like it that way!"

Yes, it's always been: Base has silver Impala on the back with no side lettering, and the LS has body colored Impala LS on the back, with body colored side lettering. Still is like that. But something they did do, that's horrible, is now on the Base, the rocker panels are that horrible gray plastic color. Looks terrible! Freaking paint it!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I think base rocker panels have always been the gray/black color (they are on my 2000 base); the LS rocker panels have always been body color.

Actually, the gray/black on my base ties in well with my factory molded mud guards (which I don't think you can get for the back wheels except for the 2000 model).

One change I would like to make on my 2000 model w/bench seat; does anyone know if the front armrest from an '01+ will fit in a '00 model? The 2000's had the flimsy cup holders that dangle out of the armrest, whereas the newer ones have more solid, built-in cup holders. I've toyed with the idea of renting an Impala and swapping out the arm rests (I figure they'd never notice!!), but I'm not 100% sure they'd fit.
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Ok - this is crazy. Hasn't anyone heard or seen spy shots of the 04 SS. GM has announced or previewed almost every other car forthcoming.

How about even a date for when they will announce or show something?
    Man, I sure wish they'd reconsider calling the Monte and Impala SS's. It's really a huge disgrace to the SS heritage. These Monte's and Impalas have no business being called an SS.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    GM makes the cars. They can call them anything they wish. Including Chitty-Chitty Bang Bangs, if they so desire. They own the SS name, not you or me. And anything they call an SS is, whether or not you or I like it, an SS.

May as well get used to it! :)
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,684
    Actually, it's not a total disgrace. Back in the '60's, all the SS was on Impalas was an option package that gave you bucket seats and some sporty trim and badges. If you wanted suspension, engine, or tranny upgrades you had to order them separately; they weren't part of the SS package. In fact, some Impala SS'es back then just had inline 6es!

The main reason nowadays for the outcry over using SS badging is because the fabulous '94-96 Impala SS is still fresh in our memories. That car was a serious upgrade over the regular Caprice.

Actually, if the Impala SS gets a supercharged V-6, that would seem appropriate. The Monte SS though, with its 200-horse engine, just equates too much to the Impala LS...it's not "special" enough.

Oh well, I guess it's no worse than the '74 Pontiac GTO!
  • jbk5jbk5 Member Posts: 26
    Maybe they will make a Cavalier SS...
    "Actually, it's not a total disgrace. Back in the '60's, all the SS was on Impalas was an option package that gave you bucket seats and some sporty trim and badges. If you wanted suspension, engine, or tranny upgrades you had to order them separately; they weren't part of the SS package. In fact, some Impala SS'es back then just had inline 6es!

The main reason nowadays for the outcry over using SS badging is because the fabulous '94-96 Impala SS is still fresh in our memories. That car was a serious upgrade over the regular Caprice."

Actually, if the Impala SS gets a supercharged V-6, that would seem appropriate. The Monte SS though, with its 200-horse engine, just equates too much to the Impala LS...it's not "special" enough."

I'm talking about the way the SS badge was BUILT up by the likes of Jon Moss who made the SS mean performance. That is SS's legacy (why would the even put the supercharger on if it meant sporty trim?). What about the '85 Monte SS? What about the Camaro SS? What about the Chevelle SS? We're not talking about what it was, we're talking about what it is! And what it should continue to be, because that is the way it should be. Actually the Caprices and the Impala SS's from 94-96 were the same except for cosmetics (LT1). And by the way, the Monte is getting supercharged too. I doubt there will be a Cavalier SS, but there will be a Silverado, and a Trailblazer SS. SS means V8, SS mean RWD and SS means MORE than the highest model. Super Sport should mean just that. Not "come beat me with your Mustang."
  • Of course, there's the Waffen SS. But, they could be beaten by Mustangs, too. P51 Mustangs.
    Actually the '04 Impala SS will probably be quicker to 60 mph than 90% of the SS's produced in the 60's.

I would also be willing to be that it is quicker to 60 than than '94-96 SS.
    Well. let's ask a question asked earlier by another but not answered.

Just when is this '04 Impala SS expected to show up at your friendly North American Chevrolet Dealer?
    ...another time-honored badge, so be careful what you wish for! I actually have seen a few Cavalier "SS"es. I think there's some aftermarket company that adds spoilers and spashy graphics and "SS" badging. It actually doesn't look bad in blue with silver trim, but it still ain't no SS.

I've seen a few Impalas badged as "SS"es too. What they do is take a base Impala, sometimes even with the base wheels, and put a custom leather interior in it, and some cladding and spoilers, and SS badging. I'd see them sometimes on one of the local sales lots. I think that travesty added something like $3995 to the price of the car.
    You mean the dealers put SS badging on those Impalas? geez..... Anyway, yes, the '04 Impala SS probably will be a little quicker than the '96 SS but it's not RWD and it's not a V8. I just want them to stick to the heritage so the SS badge doesn't become a joke, like the 00-03 Monte Carlo SS.
  • Ya gotta admit, though. The main reason the SS badge began with rear RWD and V8, is because that was the prominent type of powertrain for ALL vehicles at the time, performance or otherwise.
  • luiss95impalaluiss95impala Member Posts: 1
    Have you ever heard the saying "Horsepower is for selling cars, torque is for winning races"? You won't make as much torque with that motor as a V8, not to mention the front tires will be skipping from the power and shift of weight. And traction control robs power from you, so either which way, you're off to a slow start.
    RWD is the way to go for performance no matter what the "trend" is. So is a V8. It's just that simple. SS means Super Sport performance.
    SS is a marketing term. To Mr. Lutz I am sure it really means $$$.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    December 12th "THE CAR CONNECTION" reported that the 2004 Malibu will be available with a new 3500 series engine developing 240 hp. Lighter and smaller then the 2004 Impala SS (coming) I have read reports that the Impala SS will have horsepower in the range of 240-280. This new Malibu has been getting tremendous press. With that kind of power available might overshadow the coming 2004 Impala SS.........
    The 3800 will be supercharged and superchargers by their very nature produce torque down low.

And yes the front tires will be spinning.

Too bad no limited slip diferential is offered.
  • Differential? In a FWD car?
    ...it's just built into the transaxle.
    "SS is a marketing term. To Mr. Lutz I am sure it really means $$$."

Well, if that's true today, it's really sad, cause it used to actually mean something. I think it will mean something again in the future.

I don't believe the Malibu will get that engine. The Malibu is slated for the 2.8L 4 cylinder and the 3.2L eco V6. The Impala SS will get the old version L67 with 240HP 280TQ. The new GTPs will get the new version Series III (L32) with 260HP and 280TQ. BTW there are plenty of Limited Slip Differentials (LSD) available for our cars. There are the C-Ya Racing LSDs, The INTENSE Racing LSD (best LSD), and the Quaife Torque Biasing Differential (which gives power to the wheel with the most grip).
    All of the differentials you mentioned would void the warranty and have become available just in the last year. Not something I would do to a car under warranty.
    There is also a 3.69 gear available.
  • Anybody remember the old Malibu SS?
    no that was before my time. LOL
    Remember it well. Came out in 1964. Similar to the Impala at the time where the SS package was strictly cosmetic. Engine/performance was ordered seperately. Throughout the 1960's the 396 cubic inch engine was the top performer also available in the Impala. 1970 was I believe the last year for high horsepower for the Malibu. 454 cubic inch engine. 450 horse power, 490 foot pounds of torque. Horsepower was measured at the transmission back then compared to the rear wheels today. By 1970 the Impala was just a large boat and very plain....where has the time gone!!

....voiding warranties: Recently I was at a Pontiac Buick Dealers at the service department and a young guy was arguing that he had problems with the brakes on his 2001 Sunfire. He had sort of turned the car into a tuner with 18" wheels and tires etc. The service advisor told him his warranty was void on the brakes, front and rear suspension components because the brakes and suspension was designed for I believe 16" wheels. Also told him he could void the complete warranty if the 18" wheels and tires were higher profile then the factory installed 16" because his odometer/speedometer would run 10 to 20% slower and indicate a lower mileage then true.. WOW!! I also read that having a remote starter installed other then by the factory would void electrical components originally covered under factory warranty. Tuners with new cars beware!! That factory warranty on your car wasn't free its built into the price of the car when purchased. Hate to throw that away!!

Horsepower was and is still measured at the crankshaft. Before 1972 they used gross hp vs. the SAE net hp used today.
    Gross hp ratings were taken without an air cleaner, water pump, alternator etc. Open exhaust was used also. More often than not the engine that was used for the testing may have also been balanced and blueprinted.

Todays ratings are much more accurate with a few exceptions.
    Chassis dynos measure hp at the driven wheels and usually reflect a 15-20% drop from the advertised SAE net hp.

A good example of how the engines of the sixties were overrated is to compare a 1970 Z28 with a 360 hp LT1 to a 1997 Z28 with a 275 hp LT1.
    The 1997 car is both quicker and faster than the '70. The 1997 car has better gearing and tires but it is still a valid comparison.
    ...take over for the Chevelle Super Sport? Some of those were pretty hairy...well, by 70's standards, at least!
    I don't want to get off track here because it is the Impala board. The Laguna first appeared I believe 1973 and ran until the end of 1976. Special front end distinguished it from other Chevelles. 350 or 454 could be ordered but horsepower was WAY down. 245 hp for the 454. You could order special instrumentation but that was about it to distinguish from other Chevelles. I believe the front end was more aerodynamic and approved for Nascar at that time.......Back in 1975 I almost bought a brand new one that I saw on the dealers lot...
    IMO GM is not going to get anywhere with SS badging on the Impala since it is in the large family car category. Sport sedans tend to be smaller like the Mazda6. I keep hearing the SS is coming in 04 but will be surprised to see it. Just my opinion.
    I believe the SS is coming out in '03 and will be shown at some of the auto shows. Most likely Detroit in January.

Grand Prix will be available for sale in the March/April time period.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Is there room for an Astro SS ???? It is rear wheel drive. With a little aero styling it might get out of it's own way. Enjoy the ride
    "All of the differentials you mentioned would void the warranty and have become available just in the last year. Not something I would do to a car under warranty.
    There is also a 3.69 gear available."

You can get 2.93, 3.29 or 3.69 gears. These gears will NOT void your warranty unless they cause a problem and the dealer can prove it. It is against Federal Law for anything to void your warranty unless is it the cause of the problem. Check out the Magnuson Moss Act. BTW, these LSDs (esp INTENSE) are heavy duty and will not fail.
    "....voiding warranties: Recently I was at a Pontiac Buick Dealers at the service department and a young guy was arguing that he had problems with the brakes on his 2001 Sunfire. He had sort of turned the car into a tuner with 18" wheels and tires etc. The service advisor told him his warranty was void on the brakes, front and rear suspension components because the brakes and suspension was designed for I believe 16" wheels. Also told him he could void the complete warranty if the 18" wheels and tires were higher profile then the factory installed 16" because his odometer/speedometer would run 10 to 20% slower and indicate a lower mileage then true.. WOW!! I also read that having a remote starter installed other then by the factory would void electrical components originally covered under factory warranty. Tuners with new cars beware!! That factory warranty on your car wasn't free its built into the price of the car when purchased. Hate to throw that away!!"

Warranties CANNOT be voided by a mod, unless that mod is what caused the problem, AND they can prove it. It is federal law - Magnuson Moss Act.
    "Looks like there is no Impala SS and malibu has been downrated from 240 hp to 200 hp. Guess the tranny couldn't take it.
    Lots of news from all the divisions.
    Check it out quick before GM deletes it."

Where do you see there will be no Impala SS???
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    It took me exactly 19 months. We'll see how long it takes me to get to the end of my 160,000km/5year extended warranty!
    HA!

19 months.

I wish.

My 00 LS has 110,000 MILES on it. I think I hit 36k miles at about 9 months!
    No Impala SS at the show.
    Besides the SS, I don't expect that the SSR or whatever the Chevy retro truck is called is going to be produced en mass, either. They will make some to parade around the county to get free publicity but the possibility of breaking even on a production run is dwindling due to the weak economy.
    "No Impala SS at the show."

Gotcha.... I think it's supposed to debut in Chicago.
    cheersandgears.com has deleted the link so I deleted mine also. Apparently this is embargoed info and is not for public consumption yet.

Don't want to get Edmund's in trouble so I got rid of it.

If you want to search for it on your own you can go to media.gm.com and give it a shot.
    No mention of this car being at the following 2003 auto shows:

Los Angeles auto show: Detroit: Chicago: New York auto shows: The only Chevys mentioned at these shows are the new Malibu, SSR and Belair concept.

I wouldn't be surprised if they haven't axed this Impala SS (again!) Might have to wait until 2006 when the NEW IMPALA arrives......just my thoughts

I did some calculations. If you have averaged say 30 miles per hour with starting and stopping. You have been in your Impala about 3266 hours. That leaves about say 9 hours that you have actually been at home in the last 2 or 3 years. More then 4 times around the world. Almost half way to the moon. You are 2,847 miles short of the odometer reading on the Columbia Space Shuttle, but I am sure you will pass that! Hopefully when you sell your Impala it goes to a nice car retirement home where it can get the rest that it so rightfully deserves....................... Just some light humour!!

ps: My 2001 LS just turned 16,000KM was I excited!!

Setting new records.
    6,666 vehicles produced this week.
    248,676 for the calendar year 2002.
    That is versus 214,025 last year.
    Looks like they will hit 250,000 vehicles unless they break for Christmas.
    That is within a hair of the cavalier's production.
    ...the space shuttle orbits the earth every 90 minutes, at least it does when it services the Hubble Space Telescope. It's racking up about 50,000 miles every three hours!

Still, 110000 miles on a 2000 is ALOT of miles. I put 13,000 miles on an '86 Monte in 3 months once, back when I used to deliver pizzas. I'm glad I didn't keep that rate up for 3 years!
    Ya I know my numbers were off on the space shuttle. (just some humour) Maybe he delivers pizzas?
  • Chevy sells more than 250,000 Caveliers a year? Holy moly! At least half that has to be fleet/rental sales. Has to be. Ain't no way that a quarter million people are buying Caveliers every year.

Those Impala numbers are probably 40% fleet, as well. I'd bet cash money it's at least 30%.