Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• atbearatbear Posts: 322
    "Do you still think I'm getting ripped-off?"
    So you got a pully, 180 thermo, and a "Chip" that won't do anything... that's about $90 worth of stuff! I definately wouldn't buy that! You can get a modular pully system for $70 and that's the only thin they're offering you that will up the HP..

"Looks like it has 20" wheels or something."
    Those are the new 17" Diamond cut Impala SS wheels.

"B4Z In that same link regarding the 2004 Impala ss.....GM announced to its dealers that the coming 2006 Impala SS will be V8 powered....good things come to those who wait!!!!!!!"

GM is switching to RWD platforms during the 2006 time frame too... that'll make it easier for a V8! Too bad Chrystler will be RWD before GM, but I trust GM to do it right! The 2006-2008 time frame will be super exciting for cars!
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Look at that picture again. Those wheels are waaaay bigger than 17's.
    Picked the Imp up yesterday and drove it home after work and there was no change in the rattling and clunking from the front end.
    So lubing the ISS did not help.

Hope it is not the engine cradle.
  • if it wasn't for the fact that I received an GM discount, I probably would have been looking to sell my 2003 Impala LS. The car currently has 5200 miles and I already have experienced the loose steering problem along with the idle problem.
    I have been a long time GM fan but I find it hard to believe for the amount of money a LS with the sport appearnce package costs I could have had a 1996 SS fully loaded and $4,000.00 to spare for a used commuter car. I would advise people to wait and see just what the new Impala will have in store. When I say "new" I mean rear wheel drive and and a "REAL" V8. All in all my Impala is not a bad car but it just doesn't live up to my expectations of what a full size sedan should be. B.T.W. I looked into the upgraded exhaust at my local North Jersey Dealer and they wanted $500.00 without instalation. Thats alot of money to achieve dual exhaust tips. Just one of my many pet peaves about this sport package on my car. Keep up all the great posts.
  • atbearatbear Posts: 322
    No telling.. the SS will come with 17s and the rest of the pics have 17s... those are the diamond cut rims, so I don't know why they'd make 20000 17" diamond cut rims, and 1 20" diamond cut set... it might be just an illusion.
  • 3871338713 Posts: 26
    I think that the way the light reflects off the tires in that picture makes the wheels look bigger than they are.
    The ISS lube kit did not help because it was the brake calipers making the noise.
    Drove down a particularly bump street with my left foot on the brakes and the right on the gas.
    Absolutely no noise at all.
    There was a TSB for this for the Intrigue, anybody know if there was one for the Impala?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    I'd bookmarked the post below from way back in the "repair and service" discussion; it might be what you're looking for:
    --

Service Bulletin 00-05-22-002 includes the following:

Brake noise is caused by a "slip stick" vibration of brake components. If the noise persists, a brake dampening compound may be applied to the back of each pad. Use Permatex Disc Brake #126hb, or equivalent. Also, clean and lubricate all metal-to-metal contact areas between pads, pad guides, caliper and knuckles with a thin layer of high temperature silicon grease. This allow parts to slide freely and not vibrate when moving relative to each other.
  • mcdillmcdill Posts: 180
    It's been a while ! , just checkin in , Our 2000 Impala is doin fine , It is about to hit 60,000 miles and has'nt givin us any problems . I am planning on changing the transmission fluid and flushing the coolant this weekend .

I know alot of people are ticked about the new SS , being a supercharged v6 ,and still a front wheel drive , but I like it .... and I think the perfomance numbers will suprise alot of people , heck Grandprixs with the same motor are running 6.5-6 - 0 to 60's , we'll just have wait and see !
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Just think what the NEW Grand Prixs with the next generation of that motor will get next MONTH. Chevy, meanwhile, is using up supplies of the old one and charging a hefty premium to get it.

IF I get GM this time round, I will be shopping the Pontiac store. More likely, that SS decision just sent me to the Mazda6!

And yes, my 2000 Impala is running just fine as well, now with 112,000 miles!
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    I have read your posts week after week as you always inform the readers how GREAT your 2000 Impala has been....you have answered posts where some one has had a problem with their Impala and you tell them no problems here!!Great Car!! 1 minor problem a headlight switch,....and then at the end of each of your posts you continually tells us that you will not buy another Impala it will be a Mazda 6 or Grand Prix..you talk negatively about the 2004 Impala because it will have 30 less horsepower then the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix.(kind of a shallow reason to switch)after all the boasting you do about your 2000 Impala..I would believe that the 2004 Impala base, LS or SS will be a much better built car then your 2000....all the bugs that plagued the early Impalas will be worked out...Remember the current Pontiac platform started as a 1997 model...it was completely redesigned for 2004....the Impalas turn comes in 2006 with a v8 and rear wheel drive....How much power do you need?!! If your Impala has been so great as you tell us why do you keep telling us you will not buy another one.. Kind of confusing!!!!
    Sometimes people just want a change.
    If I drove a car 112,000 miles in 3 years I might want to shop around and or buy something different.
    Glad to hear the Impala is doing well. Whatever became of the blue smoke that was coming out after a cold start?
  • jpstaxjpstax Posts: 250
    "So you got a pully, 180 thermo, and a "Chip" that won't do anything... that's about $90 worth of stuff! I definately wouldn't buy that! You can get a modular pully system for $70 and that's the only thin they're offering you that will up the HP.."

I don't understand your point. Where am I going to get the new pulley installed? In order to install it correctly, you need a special tool to remove the stock one. Also, I still have to use the upgrade kit they sell, or my extended warranty won't be worth the piece of paper it's printed on. I appreciate your concern about saving me (or anyone else) money, but I have to think about doing the right thing.
    b4z is exactly right. I love the Impala. It is time to move on to another car. I am not buying another one unless it is substantially different from what I have. Would I recommend an Impala to someone else? Yes. Would I recommend the SS? Depends on the pricing. If Chevy prices it where I expect they will, no. I would recommend they go look at the GTP.

I love small cars. I love large cars. I love sporty cars. I do not love cost cutting of things I like. Change holder, PRNDL lit indicator, seatback pocket on driver's side, keyhole on passenger side? All Lutzed. I may very well buy Mazda next go round. Time will tell.

Capiche?
    Pricing is always a consideration when purchasing a new vehicle. For sure the Impala SS isn't going to be cheap. Everything has a cost. Fat 17" wheels + tires, beefed suspension, gauge package, SS badging etc. The 2004 SS will be a specialty car in Chevys lineup like the 1994-1996 SS was. Most of those sold for list price.. From the 1960's onward top of the line Pontiac models always offered more options then top of the line chevys...The Grand Prix has been around since I believe 1962...the interiors, dashboards etc...were always superior to the the Impala SS cars back then and today.(Pontiac has always been known as the Sport Division) The Impala is the working mans car. Designed for Police and Taxi service. 75% of Impalas sold are base models. The Pontiac GTP offers a great looking dash board and interior much more superior to the current Impala LS....I am sure the new Impala SS will be over 30K but the new GTP nearing $32..the Mazda 6 whats that about $20-22 K?......as I stated in my last post....Pontiac was due for their updated Grand Prix (1997-2004) the Impala (2000-2006) Maybe you can buy a new Grand Prix/Mazda 6 this spring then buy the new Impala SS in 06'...Sound like a plan?.........
    Cars last me about three years, max. Somehow, I don't see myself staying with GM this time. Quite frankly, some of Lutz's cost cutting on the Impala I find off-putting: the unlit PRNDL especially. I owned a 98 GTP and loved it as well, it had 77k on it when I traded it for the Impala, but I was offered such a great deal on the Impala (I wasn't even really looking) that I couldn't pass it up.

The 6, equipped as I want it, would be about 24k. The GM cars have much better incentives, though the deal on the GTP remains to be seen. Pricing has been released, and will run about 30k for the GTP as I would want it. The Pontiac dealer here is EXCELLENT, and that is a consideration. I bet the GTP will be less than the Impala SS. I also have a GM card with an earning allowance stacked up on it.

Still, that 6 is calling me. I may very well answer soon!
  • I thought I was the only one that noticed that! I have a 2001 and hadn't paid much attention until I went to see the 2003 Sport and looked inside, noticed the PRNDL was missing! (and the coin holder, etc.)

Also, have you seen what they did to cheapen the base? On the 2003 base its that cheap plastic runners, what were they thinking?
    If and when you test drive the Mazda 6 and Grand Prix let us know how you feel about each.....I always like to hear pros/cons of current cars especially ones that suit my needs & desires....There is no doubt the Impala needs major interior and exterior freshening....
  • pluto5pluto5 Posts: 618
    I don't see what the fuss is about the 03 LS interior. It's a two tone beige with dark trim, very appealing IMO. For under $18K with GM card earnings, rebates and discounts I would say this vehicle is a steal with the content that's standard; IMO styling and safety also beat Camry and Accord.
  • I am still in the process of selling my 2001 Impala LS. Have had some interested parties here and there but none have come close to an agreeable price. I still have plenty of time to sell the car, so we'll see.

I, for one, like the new '04 Impala SS but I think it is 3 years too late to market. The '04 SS would have been a killer car for Chevy to offer back in late '99/ early '00 because at the time Ford had just axed the '99 Taurus SHO sedan. A 240HP Supercharged Impala would have given the late Taurus SHO a complete run for the money. Today that is questionnable because even a '03 Accord with a normal aspirated V6 engine with 240HP can keep up with it and may be outrun it.

Chevy missed a golden opportunity by delaying the SS for so long. They had the hardware back then to make it possible....why hesitate so much?

I think the 5.7L V8 FWD Impala SS prototype was interesting but the torque steer and production costs issues put it in the back burner. How much is the '04 SS going to be?? $30K??? Insane!!

GM knows that the secret to its long term market success in the car arena is to go back to RWD platforms, so I hope that by 2006/07 the Impala goes back to RWD and offer optional V8 engines.

The current Impala is a terrific car, but GM in their wisdom, have not done much of anything to keep it fresh and appealing year after year. A 2003 Impala looks essentially the same as a 2000 Impala...see the problem??
    Not really, since they try to keep the sheet metal the same for at least five years to avoid the expense of retooling.

As long as Chevrolet retains the Corvette and leadership in auto racing they will have a performance image, and IMO they will never satisfy the die-hard performance fans who want RWD and lots of hp because of the pressure on oil prices, gov't regulations and the cost to redesign their vehicles in an uncertain market. Remember when Chrysler almost went out of business selling RWD cars? Just my opinion.
  • I disgree Pluto. Daimler-Chrysler is making a move back to RWD as they phase out the current FWD LH cars. Detroit has always been known for RWD, large displacement engines, lots of HP in an affordable package. I don't buy the oil prices and goverment regulations argument...why? because of the proliferation of SUVs in the last decade. SUVs are the most fuel inneficient vehicles in the market, yet the vast majority of them don't have to pay Gas Guzzler taxes, including the new Hummer H2 which is a dressed up Chevy Suburban.

Bob Lutz has recognize the need for GM to recapture their role in the car performance arena and as a last minute resort they are importing the Australian Golden Monaro V8 Coupe and reselling it here as the '04 Pontiac GTO. The car is controversial but it is the move in the right direction IMO.

GM should capitalize in the utter market failure of the current Mercury Marauder and speed up the development of viable and superior RWD car platforms. The Marauder doesn't have the balls to live up to its name. Those 94-96 Impala SS continue to fetch very good resale values.

I am drooling over that sweet and sexy Chevy SS concept presented last month at the International Detroit Auto Show. GM can do it and they are showing willingness to go in that direction.

Furthermore, let the new '04 Chevy Malibu do the fight against its immediate FWD competition (Accord/Camry/Altima/Passat). The Impala is in a whole different class and GM should capita;ize on the success of the current FWD to bring back a "gotta have" RWD Impala sedan in the future.

Lutz, are you listening?
    Thanks to sunsession in the Intrigue thread.

I wonder how many ISS lube kits have been performed when it wasn't that at all?

Brakes - Rattling Noise

File In Section: 05 - Brakes
    Bulletin No.: 01-05-23-O11A
    Date: February, 2002
    TECHNICAL
    Subject:
    Rattle Type Noise Coming from Front of Vehicle
    (Install Front Brake Caliper Service Kit)
    Models:
    2000-01 Buick Century, Regal
    2000-01 Chevrolet Impala, Monte Carlo, Venture
    2000-01 Oldsmobile Intrigue, Silhouette
    2000-01 Pontiac Grand Prix, Montana
    This bulletin is being revised to remove Chevrolet Lumina from the Models
    section and to update the condition information. Please discard Corporate
    Bulletin Number 01-05-23-11 (Section 05 - Brakes).

Built Prior to the VIN Breakpoints shown.
    Condition
    Some customers may comment about a rattle type noise coming from the front of
    the vehicle. This noise usually occurs at vehicle speeds under 48 km/h (30 mph)
    and while driving over bumps. The noise can usually be eliminated by a light
    application of the brake pedal.
    Cause
    This condition may be caused by too much clearance between the front brake
    caliper bracket and the caliper pins in the bottom of the bracket bores.
    Correction
    Install front brake caliper service kits to both sides of the vehicle using the
    following service procedure. Each kit contains 2 pins, 2 boots, and 2 packets of
    grease.
    Service Procedure
          1.Raise and suitably support the vehicle. Refer to Lifting and Jacking the
          Vehicle in General Information.
          2.Remove both the front tire and wheel assemblies.
          3.Hand tighten 2 wheel nuts to retain the rotor to the hub.

4.Install a large C-clamp (2) over the top of the brake caliper and
          against the back of the outboard brake pad.
          5.Tighten the C-clamp until the caliper piston is pushed into the caliper
          bore enough to slide the caliper off the rotor.
          6.Remove the C-clamp from the caliper.

7.Remove the caliper pin bolts (3) and discard. New bolts are supplied
          with the service kit.
          8.Remove the caliper (1) from the caliper bracket (2) and support the
          caliper with heavy mechanic's wire, or equivalent.
          9.Using a flat bladed tool or punch, carefully tap the caliper pin boots
          from the brake caliper bracket and discard.
          10.Remove and discard the bushings from the brake caliper bracket bores.
          Carefully insert a small screwdriver into the brake caliper bracket bore,
          then rotate and pull the bushing outward to remove.
          11.Remove the brake pads from the brake caliper bracket.
          12.Thoroughly clean the brake caliper bracket bores of all lubricant.
          13.Install the brake pads to the brake caliper bracket.
          14.Lubricate the brake caliper bracket bores. Divide the large packet of
          grease, P/N 18046532; put one-half packet into each bore.

15.Lubricate the new caliper pin boots. Use the small packet of grease,
          P/N 18046645, only on the bottom internal threads (2).
          16.Install the new caliper pin boots into the caliper pin bores (3) on the
          bracket. Carefully tap boots into bores using a deep well socket or
          equivalent.
          17.Install the caliper over the rotor and onto the caliper bracket. Ensure
          that the caliper pin boots are not pinched.

Important :The leading caliper pin, or top pin, has a bushing as part of the
    assembly. The trailing caliper pin, or bottom pin, is a solid design.
          18.Install the new caliper pin bolts (1). It is important to note which
          caliper pin is designed for the correct bore. The leading caliper pin, or
          top pin, has a bushing as part of the assembly. The trailing caliper pin,
          or bottom pin, is a solid design. Ensure that the bolt boots fit securely
          in the groove of the pin bolts. Be sure not to pinch or tear the boots. If
          the boots are damaged, they must be replaced.
          Tighten
          Tighten the bolts to 95 N.m (70 lb ft).
          19.Remove the 2 wheel nuts retaining the rotor to the hub.
          20.Repeat the above steps for the other side.
          21.Install both the front tire and wheel assemblies. Tighten the wheel
          nuts using the J 39544 kit.
          22.Lower the vehicle.

Parts Information
    Parts are currently available from GMSPO.
    Warranty Information

For vehicles repaired under warranty, use the table.

b4z--I just had this work done on my 2000. No More rattling. (Ken)
    I agree, importing the Monaro is a great idea. But if I wanted performance I would just go ahead and buy the 03 Covette, the best production sports car available IMO.

Most of the truck based SUVs will have to be redesigned to meet new safety regs and because fewer people will buy them with gas selling above $2. That will take lots of retooling. If GM and DC go to RWD they will essentially cede the sedan market to the asian manufacturers, leaving them to duel it out with the euros for a minor share, not a likely senario. You can believe Lutz is listening to the cash register.
  • garywgaryw Posts: 116
    I agree with everyone that FWD and 240HP make for a great car and I still like the looks of the Imapala. Where GM screwed up is simple:

1. How can it take until summer for this model to be available when the supercharger has been out forever in the Bonny and Regal not to mention the upcoming GP. And they made essentially no cosmetics changes. Explain this to me Mr. Lutz

2. No major cosmetic changes. Not even HID lights to change the look from the LS. No three spoke steering wheel. Only the usual embroided logos and larger wheels.

3. Price - how can they expect to charge $3000 more for the SS. C'mon $32K for this package is a joke.

The sad part is that I still want because I love the Imapala look. However, you can add a dual exhaust tip and the 17" wheels to an 02 or 03 LS and walk away just as happy for a lot less. Or buy a used 1996 SS.

Just my 2-cents worth.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    Hmmm...I wonder if that's what I'm experiencing with my '01 LS? Did you actually hear the rattle, or did you feel it in the steering wheel?

I have a rattle that developed about 1000km ago. I feel it in the steering, particularly when driving in the city. Sounds suspiciously like what you've described. I too thought it was the ISS needing another lube kit. Maybe I'm wrong?
    Brad
  • How can I tell the exact date of manufacture on my vehicle?
  • To locate the date of manufacture sticker in your Impala, just open the driver's side front door and locate the sticker on the door's jamb near the lock mechanism.

The date will be shown in MM/YY, for example 4/01 for made in April 2001 and so forth. The sticker also tells you were the car was made. All Impalas are currently manufactured in Oshawa, Ontario Canada only.

If the sticker is missing from that location, reject the car as there is a possibility the car is salvaged or has severe accident repair.
    I hope you didn't buy that overpriced Impala with accident damage.

E-mail me if you have any further questions.