Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    bleed them. your car is not getting enough use and moisture is building up.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    And you still have 00038 miles left on your warranty!!
    I wish. LOL.
    36,000 miles in 21 months!

My next trip to the dealerwill be to have the roof strips painted and replaced and then all of the warranty work will be done.

It's on my nickel from now on.
  • otto42otto42 Member Posts: 33
    I was quite satisfied with it up until the point that a Ford F150 stopped at an intersection directly in front of me. My front left hit his front right at about 40 mph and it crumpled the front end on that side just completely. His insurance paid for it, but the car was never the same, so I traded it for my 2002 Impala LS.

The Lumina is a good car, never had any problems with it of any kind for 60k miles. Ran good, drove well, took the impact very well. Funny thing though, the passenger airbag inflated with nobody in the seat, and the force blew out the front windshield. Not totally out, but it basically destroyed that sucker. The driver airbag inflated as well, and that was no fun at all. Saved my [non-permissible content removed], admittedly, but still not pleasant.

Some of the dash board bits were kind of cheap though.. the slide out plastic cup holder, while very cool, broke after extended usage (but I had it replaced it free of charge) and was also impossible to clean. The ashtray was poorly designed, the rails were sticky, and when I hit that Ford they broke entirely and the ashtray went flying off. The glove box door is kind of heavy for the mounts they used on it, and while it didn't break, it always looked like it was going to. The cloth seating seemed to be inferior cloth somehow, as it didn't clean properly using anything I've tried. Removing the dash to replace the radio was easy enough, but the speaker mount holes in the trunk were non-standard, so mounting new identically sized speakers took ingenuity. The factory speakers themselves are total garbage, I've still got them, and they are utterly worthless. The radio is fine, and had a fairly decent amp built into it, actually, as it gave good crisp sound once you replaced the crappy speakers. The trunk has those annoying L shaped curve mount things, so when you filled the trunk to the max you find that you cannot actually close it that way because they fold down into the trunk space itself.

Other than these minor petty annoyance type of things, it worked fine. Drove very well. Handled good. A slight bit soft on cornering, but very good acceleration for such a heavy car.

If you want to see what a Lumina hitting a Ford F150 looks like, go here. This is on my laptop on a cable modem, so if it's slow or not there at times, that's why.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    The moisture is in the booster itself not the fluid so bleeding them would not help.(no brake fluid enters the booster) The brakes work fine.
  • colie74colie74 Member Posts: 42
    My impala is leaking in the trunk. Just had it's 3rd repair last weekend. It's from water coming up from underneath. My warrenty is up in June. If I can get it to leak twice more with one repair attempt in between, I can use the lemon law and get rid of it. Otherwise, I will be getting rid of it by June. Now I have the coolant leak!

No brake problems since the steering shaft has been lube. Had vibration in steering wheel all the way down to the brakes.

I also won't be buying another chevy period. Although my husbands 2001 camaro ss hasn't been in the shop yet!! Very happy with that car.

As far as luxury vehicles go and what I can affored, I will go Infiniti G35, if I can't afford that, I'll go with the sister car, the altima. Very nice cars.

BMW is just tooo small for the money. Going to miss that big back seat that was soo appealing with the impala in the first place. One of the only cars (in my price range) that can fit a car seat in the middle and two adults on each side comfortably. It's a great ride until I have to shell out my own money for all these problems after the warrenty is up.

Sure has been interesting reading here. Hope there aren't as many problems with the imports!!!

BTW, the Mazda 6 is a GREAT alternative. Neat car!!!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    You might want to check with an attorney on your state's lemon law. In no state that I am aware of would a leaky trunk invoke the lemon law. Usually defects have to be safety related in order for the lemon law to apply.

You also may be stuck with arbitration in any event.
    The older the car is the less likely they will buy it back.
    Usually once you get past the 2 year point you are out of luck.
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Has anyone noticed the engine sounds a bit noisy at startup? Ususally lasts for a few minutes and goes away. It appears to be on the drivers side and sounds like a grinding/growling type noise.
    Well the lemon law attorny said that it didn't have to be safety related. A safety related issue is a one repair attempt. Others like mine, are 4. So ya, they do get more leadway as far as trying to fix it. IMO, it may not be safty, but it surely is serious. I have MOLD growing back in the trunk now. Things that were back there have mold growing on them. The LL attorney just said he settled a case just like mine. Isn't rust going to be an issue as well?

So at any rate, I am in contact with a LL attorney who said it is absolutely possible to use the lemon law. He seems pretty confident. Hey if it doesn't pan out, no biggy, but it is a least worth a try.

And no it does not have to be only safety related. But no, you can't complain about bad radio reception and invoke the LL that way. :)

We aren't talking about a little wetness back there either folks, we are talking about flooding!!!

Nicole
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Did they check your tailight rubber seals???

Before filing for "Lemon Law" make sure that this has been verified to be OK. You could be in for a rough ride if you are not familiar with your State's lemon laws.

Remember, attorneys can lie so be informed before allowing yourself to get lured into a costly uphill battle.

What state are you in? Do you know what is the statue of limitations in terms of ownership months/mileage (Whichever comes first) to be able to seek relief under Lemon Law?

In Florida, a leaking trunk does not qualify for Lemon Law.

Do some research, that's all I am suggesting....
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    It might help to use the keyword search on the left side of the page to check out some of the TH discussions on lemon laws. I think most of them are archived, but they still contain lots of good information as well as useful links.
    Mine has always been noisy when cold. Last for 30-45 seconds then idles down and noise goes away.
    Man, this topic is really dead as of late!
    I am in California by the way. The attorney said I had until the warrenty is up. Which is in June. We did a pressure hose test over the weekend and it is leaking EVERYWHERE, the tail lights, the trunk plugs under the spare tire, toward the back opening of the trunk, all over. It's going for it's fourth repair attempt next weekend, then I will contact the LL attorney and see if we can go forward. The info I am reading said it doesn't have to ONLY be a safety issue. A leak in the trunk does grow mold and is unsafe in MY opinion, but doesn't mean it will fly. At least I got chevy to order me a new carpet kit and spare tire cover.

I don't think this is fair at all. I can see in your posts, that you are coming across like I am being petty or that this won't fly with the lemon law, but why should I have to deal with a trunk full of water? It smells and grows mold, I have to take the spare tire out and get the water out every rain. I HATE this car. And now the coolant leak.

Anyway, thanks for the words of cuation. I will read over the contract from the attorney and if I have to pay a truck load of money even if I don't win, well can't afford that anyways.

But I am stuck, have you tried to trade in you Impala yet? I have, guess what they are offering for a 2000 (not even 3 years old yet) loaded LS with only 21K miles on it....7K. Yup, that's it. Wouldn't even pay off my loan of 9K. They don't want my car either!!! I am in tears that I got ripped off on this piece of crap. I will never buy chevy again, especially if they fight over taking my lemon back. Just pay off the loan is all I care about at this point. Just take it off my hands.

Anyway, thanks again
    Nicole
    On a trade at Carmax, I am being offered $13K for my 2001 Impala LS with 20K miles. The car is in pristine condition in and out...not a single ding, scratch, nothing...just perfect.

I sincerely think that your trunk leaks are caused by 2 very serious problems:

1) Car was involved in an accident prior to delivery (Yes there are dealers that still sell new cars with body repair damage)

2) The car has some kind of fatal flaw in the structure welds or rubber seals.

Have you run a Carfax.com VIN check on your own car? It is a $20K pop but I think if I were you I would take a closer look at the history of this car. If this car was ever in an accident, there is the likehood of a police report filed online, etc.

I have never had any problems with the trunk of my car. Other family acquintances also own Impalas with absolutely no problems on them whatsoever either.

You need to have a factory rep go over your car with a fine tooth comb.

I am sorry to hear about all your problems and believe me, if I were in your shoes, I would also be very dissapointed about the car as well.

Have you try taking it to a different Chevy dealer? As part of your Lemon Law process I think the manufacturer needs to fly someone from the factory to take a look at your car. That way they can determine whether the car has been in an accident or if this is indeed a fatal manufacturing defect. Either outcome calls for different legal actions.

Best of luck and keep us posted.
    Your problem is a new one on me. Historically any car that I own will have pretty much every problem reported on these internet threads. That is just my luck. I am hoping I never get the leaking trunk.
    I would think your car is worth more than 7K. is it an LS or a base?
    i would definiterly take it to another dealer.
    Thanks for the info, I am wondering at this point as well. I am leaning toward the defects in the structure welds and rubber seals. They tried re-weld a pinch weld that showed rust during one service trip and this time I made it leak with a hose and got water squirting up through the plugs under the spare tire, as well as other places. I called the attorney again and told them the law states 18K or 18 months limit, she said she checked and said, no we can still help. She said after the 4th attempt that I will have to meet with a factory rep and recreate the leaks for him and then we will go from there. So yes, a factory rep will be involved and it may shed light as to some info I don't already know, like you mentioned a defect or accident. I bought the car in June of 2000 and the sticker said it was built in May, so I can't imagine an accident unless it was from the factory to truck to bring it down to the dealer. I will run a check on carfax though, thanks.

It is being purchased, no lease. So I was also stunned at 7K offer. I was at least thinking 10K trade in, 13K maybe on the street.

So the lawyer knows all about this and still says she can help. I'll know in 2 weeks. I'm going on vacation next week, so it's going in the shop as soon as I get back. I'm wondering if I should even bother having them do the coolant leak at the same time. Don't want them to come back and say they didn't have time to deal with both. So I should stick with the water leak and not confuse them anymore.

I'll keep you all posted, it sure does sound like a defect to me.

Thanks
    Nicole
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    CarFax only reports those things required by law and public record. It does not report any information from insurance claims (a common belief). So a car involved in a serious wreck but not totalled and re titled as salvage will not show up on a CarFax report. If the insurance company totaled/bought the car, it would be re titled (if playing by the rules) as salvage. That would show up on the CarFax report. I have heard of insurance companies selling totalled cars to rebuilders with clean titles. That would only show up as an ownership change.

A good body man can tell you by looking at wrench marks on body panel and hinge bolts if a car has had repairs.
    Also keep in mind that if the car has sustained damage during transportation from the factory to the dealership, these incidents will also fail to show up in a complete Carfax report.

It is not uncommon for brand new spanking and unregistered cars to receive damage during transportation or at the dealership. Some dealers are masters at covering up transport or dealer induced damage to the vehicle and then sell it as 'new' to unsuspecting customers. A good rule of thumb is to always inspect a new car prior to taking delivery with a fine tooth comb as much as feasible possible. Also a new vehicle should also be delivered and inspected under daylight conditions to make spotting imperfections, bad repairs and other potential coverups before signing on the dotted line.

I suspect that Coleen's Impala must have sustained severe damage during transporation or at the dealer, resulting in a badly repaired trunk area and consequently a bad smelling and leaky trunk compartment. But there is also a chance that her car has a very unsual and rather bizarre manufacturing defect with the body welds. Remember that these cars are welded by robots, so the spot weld quality is precise to the milimeter and pretty consistent on each car being built.

I wish the best of luck to Collen on her leaky trunk saga.
  • markl200markl200 Member Posts: 1
    I was the owner of a 2000 Impala LS and loved the car.The only problem I had was the rear wheel bearings.The right side coded at 46,000 miles and the left at 55,000 miles.I had GMPP for the first repair.Chevrolet wants $600.00 to replace a set of wheel bearings.I had to pay only $200.00 the first time.
    When the left side coded and the dealer confirmed it,I said GM is paying for this repair!My warranty had run out by then.
    The dealer gave me the number for Chevrolet Zone service in Detroit and I called and started a claim.
    I was patient and after 3 weeks,my local dealer called and said that GM wanted to know how my brand loyalty has been! IE,they wanted to know how many new Chevrolets I have purchased!
    Well now,I rattled off the last 6 cars and vans and asked him if that was enough!
    He called back 2 days later and said that the wheel bearing was on order!
    GM was paying for all of it!
    Anyways,I hope Nicole got a another New car from Chevrolet!
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    Why would Chevy Zone need to call the dealer to call you and find out about brand loyalty? I don't believe they don't have access to everything you have purchased from them and not just Chevy but all GM divisions. It's how they can make forecasts and such. Sounds fishy to me but as long as they are paying for it that's the important issue.
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    Some knuckle head decided to scratch up my hood. It must have happened last night parked in my driveway even. I just can't believe it.

What's the best way to get rid of scratches on a black car?
    A body shop?

Seriously, why do people do this? I am so very sorry about your car, but I think you will find that a body shop is the only real alternative, unless you do your own expert body work, in which case you wouldn't have asked.
  • ab348ab348 Member Posts: 19,085
    On Friday I had to drive about 500 miles round trip and got a 2003 Impala with about 3000 miles on it as a rental from Avis. I have never been a fan of this car, mostly because of the styling, but looked forward to the experience of actually living with one for a day.

This was a base model Impala apparently (no LS badges), but I was confused because it seemed pretty loaded up. I couldn't replicate the car on Chevy's website. Alloys, cruise, steering wheel radio controls, leather-wrapped wheel, etc. I presume it had the 3.4 although I didn't check. It was an odd shade of blue (Superior Blue?) that was lighter than navy blue, and which looked vaguely institutional to me, like it should have some sort of corporate logo painted on the doors. Reminded me of the color the RCMP used to paint their cars. It had the dreaded gray interior (I hate gray interiors) with two slightly different shades on the dash.

I was prepared not to like the car but I can't complain about the experience of driving it. It was great on the highway, had decent pickup with only some rough engine sounds when you put your foot in it, and had good handling and brakes. The seats seemed comfortable at first although after several hours the bottom cushion seemed to give up and my back began to bother me a bit (I have back trouble). Driving at 70 mph the car was quiet and felt secure. Most controls and instruments were logical (didn't like the wiper control all that much though) and I found it a bit tough to get enough heat inside (it was a very cold day and I had the temp on max - maybe I needed more indoctrination into those controls). The dash has a lot of cutlines but didn't look too bad to me. All in all not a bad car. If only the styling was better.

2017 Cadillac ATS Performance Premium 3.6

• pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    You should try an LS which is much better in the respects you commented on. They are really two different automobiles.

The blue with tan is a nice combination IMO and contrary to a previous post all the sheet metal is painted, e.g., inside of gas tank cover. The current blue is not quite as dark as the earlier navy.

As far as the styling I find it way above Honda and Toyota--MO.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    "It had the dreaded gray interior (I hate gray interiors)"

Me too, man... me too! I have a 2002 Impala LS with a NAVY Blue exterior and a TAN interior... I love it... and if you like the 3.4, you should try the 3.8! Thanks for posting!
  • josh210t1josh210t1 Member Posts: 1
    I own the 2001 LS, Galaxy Silver with the GRAY interior. I happen to love the GRAY interior. I happen to love the car completely. Great car, completely loaded, great gas mileage (especially highway driving -- simply fantastic). The Tan inteior known as the neutral color, isnt so friendly keeping clean. I had the neutral color in my 98 Lumina and cleaned that interior everyday to keep that new look. Wasnt fun. I LOVE GRAY. :)
    Not dissing Gray, Josh... just saying we prefer Tan.. ; )
    I have a white LS. I really wish some other colours of interiors HAD been available. I have the gray, which I consider non-objectionable and boring. Navy wasn't an option. The 'tan' in 2000 looked more like baby poop, to be nice about it. Orangey. I would have loved a black interior!

GM interiors had a reputation, deserved, IMHO, for being substandard and boring. Supposedly this is one of the first things Mr. Lutz was in charge of fixing.
    Everyone has a complaint, but what is great about Toyota's interiors? The new Impala interior is fine with me and I would be hard pressed to improve it.
    Get thee in an Acura or Volkswagen. Then say that again. I would begin by greatly improving the quality of the LS cloth seats. And then that headliner. What is that stuff? Mousefur?

ICK!
    Personally, I wouldn't be caught dead driving a VW or Acura aka Honda. Give me a Chevy, any day. Or even a Ford if there's no other choice! But nothing euro thank you very much.
    We aren't talking about DRIVING them. You asked about interiors, and I just told you two makers who are widely acknowledged both by auto industry insiders and by consumers as having world class interiors. If Chevy and even GM wants to succeed, they have to do more than just satisfying current customers.
    The problem is fixed. Let the euro lovers obsess.
    I have. I am NOT shopping for an Impala SS, LS or any other S. The interior is one of the primary reasons. For one thing, the PRNDL no longer lights up on the floor. A seat pocket has been removed from the passenger seat. The lights in the glove box and trunk are gone. The coin holder in the console is gone.

Not only is the problem NOT fixed, it is worse. In my opinion, any way. When I buy a Mazda6, Mr. Lutz can take great comfort in the money he has saved GM with his petty, chintzy changes.
    The shift indicator is on the dash, so what? Leave it to Honda to mount the gear selector on the dash! I think you can buy a coin holder at the variety store. Don't know what you keep in a seat pocket--a crossword puzzle?
    The shiftER is on the floor. And that is where I expect to find the gears indicated, as they are on virtually every other car with a floor shifter sold in the US. The coin holder was integrated and a very nice piece.

I keep all kinds of maps and motel directories in my seat back pockets. I drive 50,000 miles plus per year. I need that stuff. And guess what? The Mazda6 will have all kinds of places to put it.

For saving a few nickels and dimes, GM lost a sale to me. I am hardly alone.

It isn't just the Impala, either. The new Buick Park Avenue doesn't even have adjustable height seatbelts any more. CR noticed.
    Check this out: http://autos.msn.com/home/streamingvideo.aspx?src=msn

At the bottom is a video of Bob Lutz critiquing cars at SEMA. Check out what he says about the Altima interior. There's nothing wrong with the Impala interior. It's ok.. I like it, it looks pretty good and it gets the job done. But I wouldn't call it world class by any means. It's hard-ish and plastic-y... but it's not bad, I have a 2002 and it has all the features you're describing.... BTW check out the '04 GP interior.. do you like that??
    I have to see one and sit in it. I WANT to like the GP GTP. I had a 98 GTP. I loved it.
    The Mazda 6 looks like another wimpy asian import-smaller with quirky styling-no way would I pay $5K more for this than an LS.
    Don't see how we can criticize johnclineii's personal comments about the Impala. He has put
    2-3 times more miles on his than anybody on this thread.
    And it ISN'T $5k more than an LS. In fact, better equipped* it would cost me about $3k LESS than an LS and much less than an SS. The only other car I am considering is the 2004 Pontiac Grand Prix GTP.

Also, pluto5, know that the Mazda6 is built by Americans in Flat Rock, Michigan. I will probably end up with one, though I am currently waiting for factory Sirius to be available. In the past week alone, I have put 1200 more miles on the Impala LS. It is a good car.

--

* How much is the automatic climate control on an LS, pluto5? Just asking....
    You are comparing a 3 yr. old car with a new LS.

Also, LS is way less in price with available rebates and discounts.

Not to mention that Mazda=F0rd.

Where are the safety ratings on the Mazda6? I would not risk my life with an unkown quantity and this vehicle is smaller and lighter than the LS.
    Mazda does NOT equal Ford. How silly. I suppose Volvo equals Ford and Saab equals GM.

And no, I am comparing a NEW LS to a NEW 6. If I could buy another 2000 LS I might very well. The changes made to the interior of the Impala, which is what we were talking about, are not acceptable to me. In fact, I hate them. They smack of cheap. I don't want to be reminded of miserliness and cost cutting every time I drive the car.
    Safety is cheaper in the Imp.
    Really?

And how much are DUAL side air bags in the Impala? And side air curtains?

And how come my insurance premiums for medical payments and collision are MUCH less on the 6 than on the Impala? Hmmmm.

Off topic? I think not. If the Impala had kept up with improvements made in competitive cars, or even just not cheapened the interior features, I would be in line for another one.

Why, even if they had put the Series III engine in the new SS instead of Series II (and less power), I might be interested.
    Sorry but IIHS injury, collision and theft loss indices are much better for Imp than any Mazda sedan.
    Impala is scheduled to get digital climate control next year. 1 year AFTER the pickup trucks.
    Impala was a excellent deal in 2001. But not in 2002 or 2003. $1000 year price increases are to blame.

Gp may not be the homerun everyone thought it would be. Still no 5 speed auto. Back seat room is not good. NO OHC motor etc.

GM needs to get going. They are still thinking they are competing with FORD and have forgotten about Honda, Toyota, Nissan and Mazda.

The CTS will soon have a OHC motor. it needs to be offered in all the midsize cars at a premium.

If there was a $1000 charge for the new motor I would pay it. I will not pay 30K for a supercharged SS using LAST years pushrod engine. Or any pushrod engine for that matter.

Where are those side curtain airbags?
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    Yo, I love my black Impala LS sport. I get complements on it almost everyday. There is not much I would change on it. Even younger guys tell me my car is "phat" all the time.

I can't understand why people diss the engine so much. Its kind of ignorant. The ONLY v6 in the under 30,000 price range that beats it is the Nissan engine in my view. Sure Honda makes 240 hp but only 212 TQ and I bet if we compare the HP at each RPM then up to 5,000 rpm the 3800 is the same or better.

You can't look at peek HP and that's it. Look at the torque and look at the RPM where the engine makes peek HP. Mazda is weak - 220 hp and only 190 TQ (its a reworked Ford Taurus engine and is weak). Mitsu, Ford Taurus, Dodge Stratus, Toyoda Camry all make about 200 / 200. The 3800 makes 200 / 225 and the power comes on right away.

Remember that GM's v8 OHV pushrod engines (Corvette) makes the more power then any other street cars other then the Dodge Viper which is really a race car not a street car. So what say you now?