Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    Yeah, there are two manifold designs, but I'm not sure which one is the new one and which one is the old one. They have the exact same part number. One has free sitting intake runners (an insert), and one has the intake runners molded in. I'd assume the new one has the intake runners molded in. There's no way to check besides taking it apart. NEITHER OF THEM ARE METAL. Nicole, you know that big black plastic thing on top of your engine? Thats the intake manifold. Glad they didn't give you any trouble when you replaced it. Please write a letter demading a RECALL for a METAL one. I posted the site with the email above. Thanks!
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Love the SS...want one badly....but, please put a frickin 3-spoke steering wheel in the car!

Lift it from the Monte or take the 4-spoker from the Vette...but give it a sporting steering wheel.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    I don't like black cars, so I wouldn't buy an SS. Maybe an orange one...but the LS is a much better value IMO.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Congratulations and good luck with your new Impala. I own the 2001 LS model fully loaded, and even though I experienced the problem with the ISS ( fixed ), this car is a joy to drive. My favorite features with this car is the driver information center, Onstar, Traction Control & last but not least, the great gas mileage. Many years of happy driving.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Congratulations and good luck with your new Impala. I own the 2001 LS model fully loaded, and even though I experienced the problem with the ISS ( fixed ), this car is a joy to drive. My favorite features with this car is the driver information center, Onstar, Traction Control & last but not least, the great gas mileage. Many years of happy driving.
  • mrpoetrymanmrpoetryman Member Posts: 38
    Thank you very much. I hope I enjoy my Impala as much as you are enjoying yours.

Neil
    Still can't find this--anyone have a few clues? Thanks.
  • emmanuelchokeemmanuelchoke Member Posts: 97
    The easiest way to find the power steering reservoir is to find the p.s pump. To do that, just follow the serpentine belt from the alternator pulley to the p.s pulley, which is located underneath and to the left of the alt. The reservoir is in the dark and hard to find, but it's about 5 or 6 inches on the other side of the pulley. Makes routine maintenance more difficult than usual.

emc
  • laddie2laddie2 Member Posts: 5
    I noticed on my new 2003 Impala LS 3800 (1000 mi) that the oil pressure changes - goes up with acceleration and down with deceleration. Down is only slightly less than the 1/2 way mark and up is almost to the 3/4 mark. I've never noticed this before in any car. Does anyone know if this is normal??? Thanks in advance.
  • jbk5jbk5 Member Posts: 26
    My Monte Carlo does that too. Unless someone here knows otherwise, I think it's completely normal. I used to have a Grand Prix that did the same thing.
  • gunitgunit Member Posts: 469
    <<<The Impala does look better than the GP, IMO. The Impala sport appearance package looks great. The new '04 GP's are okay, but I am not so fond of the sculpting around the tailights on the trunk lid.

The Impala is a much more comfortable car compared to the GP. >>

The Impala isn't exactly a looker, never has been. The GTP of 1997-2003 looks alot better then the Impala with its big butt syndrome and dumb oversized circular lights and underpowered 200 horse engine with no supercharger. whats up with that? Even the old man's Regal has a L67 option.

Impala is softer and not as fun to drive. The GTP handles alot better and more fun and sporty to drive. It now posts a best in class .82 - .83 skidpad. Impala is only .78. Not to mention the GTP having The newest and latest Series 3 3800 with 260 hose. Impala only currently has 200 meager horse. Even when it finally gets its overdue supercharger it will only make due with the old series 2 240 horse that dates back to 1996.

You are getting more for you dollar with the GTP, including the exclusive tap shifting, works very well. Better then chrysler's autostick. yes the GTP does ride harsher then the Impala, but is alot more fun to drive then the old man Impala.

The ultimate deal is on a leftover 2003 GTP, $4,000 rebate and 240 horse. 2003 Impala will cost the same or more only have the weak 200 horse engine.

Not to mention the Impala is old.. now in its 4th year? Need a redesign.
    <<<The Impala does look better than the GP, IMO.
    This is opinion and I still like the Impala w/sport package.

<<<The Impala is a much more comfortable car compared to the GP. >>
    Yup - sat in a GTP and my head was squashed with the sunroof. No back seat room at all...especially compared to the Impala. The GP even looks small in person.

<<<<Impala is softer and not as fun to drive.
    Agree completley. Why they still don't put 55-series tires on the LS package is a mystery to me. Even the SS looks like it is wearing 60-series tires. Koni's are required on the Impala if you want a true ride.

<<<<You are getting more for you dollar with the GTP...
    Agree again, but a blacked out SS is just bad [non-permissible content removed]. Period. When I see a black Impala LS or the pics of the SS I drool...not so with the new GP

<<<<The ultimate deal is on a leftover 2003 GTP, $4,000 rebate and 240 horse.

If you can stand the dated dash/interior and the dated front-end. The rear is still cool looking.

When is Edmunds going to get real forum software!!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Having owned a 98 GTP and now a 00 Impala LS, I do not agree that a 04 GTP is a good cup of tea for me. You see, I have sat in the front seat of a 04 GTP, I have sat in (or should I say ON) the backseat of an 04 GTP.

I have driven an 04 GTP.

And I am patiently waiting for the hatchback version of a Mazda 6, though I am tempted by the Acura Japanese Accord and the coming turbo Legacy (next summer).

But another Impala or a GTP? Nope. Too many features de-LETED by de-Lutz. I prefer my GM cars with the 'surprise and delight' features that are now, for the most part, gone.
  • gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    I am getting 16-18mpg with my 3.8L 01 impala.
    75% city driving/25% highway driving. Is this typical for the rest of you guys? My driving is mostly from work and back and the commute is fairly short, around 7 miles each way.
    Would I get 30mpg if the car was driven for long periods of time until the engine is fully warmed?
    The car only has 12K miles.
  • cgacga Member Posts: 23
    I&#146;ve read through a couple of hundred Impala messages here so I know that several people have posted their fuel consumption, but I&#146;m still wondering.

My local dealer will sell me a new 2003 base Impala (base engine) with the 1SB option package for $17,770 delivered (after $3K rebate, plus tax, fees, etc.). And he doesn&#146;t care if I buy one from his lot or if I order it. This seems almost too good to pass up, even though I don&#146;t really need a new car.

Ninety-five percent of my driving is between 35-50 mph, with virtually no city and maybe five percent pseudo-highway driving. I have a light foot and always break in my new cars properly.

For the last three years I&#146;ve been driving a 2000 Mits. Galant with the four cylinder (EPA 21/29) and consistently average 26-27 mpg in the warm weather (western NY) driving as described above. Can I realistically expect to get 24+ mpg with the Impala driving the way I do?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My Impala has the 3800 engine.
    I consistently pull 20+mpg. 305-320 miles per tankful of around 15 gallons. I have gotten into the 19's a couple of times and will sometimes pull 21-22 mpg.
    I am a realtor so I do not drive the same miles everyday. I put about 20K a year on it.
    When I drive suburban miles it will get 24+ mpg no problem.
    My best is 29-30 mpg at 79-80 mph.
    My worst highway mileage, going from 0'elevation to 2900' above sea level at 80+mph, is 27.5 mpg.
    My best is 34+mpg at 65 mph.
    I take my mileage every fill up.
  • spark1espark1e Member Posts: 18
    My commute is 30 miles, mostly open highway. Was driving 2000 Jetta, getting 30 mpg. Upgraded to 2001 Impala LS, now getting 28 mpg on same route. More room, more comfort, tons more acceleration, lost only 2 mpg.
  • 02lssport02lssport Member Posts: 75
    I get great MPG in my Impala. I get around 24 mpg in mixed city / highway driving.
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Our '01LS 3800 has been averaging 22-23 around town. Just got back from a 800mi round trip to MA & NH, got 32 on the way up, 29 on the way back and only 2 quarts of coolant for the leaking intake manifold gasket. (Just kidding.)
    Just about ready to fill up my tank on my 2003 Impala LS for the second time. I averaged 27.2 MPG for my first tank, about 90% highway and 10% city driving. Still breaking the car in, so I am looking forward to the higher MPG ratings as told by other's in the forum.

Neil
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    It might take 10,000 miles before you notice a major increase in your mpg..... I have a 201 LS and my mileage is still getting better all the time.....the more you drive your 203 LS the more you will find how well built these Impalas are...
    I know what you mean, charts2. My other car is a 2000 LeSabre Limited with the same engine. I have 43,000 miles on it and I am getting 31+ MPG.

Neil
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    2001 LS, 72,107km (45,067 miles) driven. Mostly a mix of city and highway. Here are my stats:

Total fills - 167
    Average Mileage - 10.48 litres/100km - 22.64 mpg (US)
    Actual Best Mileage - 7.44 litres/100km - 31.62 mpg (US)
    Actual Worst Mileage - 12.63 litres/100km - 18.63 mpg (US)
    Average Range Per Tank - 616km - 385 miles

The Driver Information Centre mileage is averaging a 15% error rate (higher).

Brad
  • jbk5jbk5 Member Posts: 26
    I'd agree that the DIC is not accurate for MPG. I average about 24 mpg in my Monte Carlo and the DIC tells me I'm getting 26.
    Thanks to everyone for their very helpful fuel consumption information. It seems to be a point of interest for many owners…as it would be for me.

This was the only thing preventing me from seriously considering buying the Impala and now that several owners have offered their experience I guess I can safely assume that in my case I&#146;ll probably achieve 24+ MPG around town. I&#146;ve noticed that breaking in a new car properly plays an important role in how well the car performs in the future. After breaking in my cars I&#146;ve (thus far) always wound up getting closer to the highway EPA number in my normal everyday driving.

Has anyone recently purchased a new 03 base Impala with the 1SB option package (and free dealer mudguards) for less than $17,770 (after rebate, plus tax and licensing)? That&#146;s the deal they&#146;re offering me and based on online true cost information it seems to be a very good one.
    I would not expect 24 mpg around town unless your town has no stoplights. LOL That's way above the EPA city rating. You can do better on the price with GM card earnings, add up fast with the new GM card. GM is also giving an extra $1,000 to GM retirees and supplier employees, among others. They should change their name to General Rebate--ha ha just my opinion. Imp is a fine sedan but I prefer the LS having tried both but I may pop for a base 04 to replace my commuter car.
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    looks like we are back to talking about DIC again.

22.64 mpg average........31.62 best

if you had DOD would you get the alleged 40mpg that some have professed here.........
    You still have me beat on my mileage. I am at 40,500 miles. June 1st will be it's 2nd anniversary.

My DIC shows 2.5 mpg high and 2.5 gallons low, or there abouts. If it says it has used 12 gallons I know I better find a gas station quick.

It also reads 3 degrees high. 86 degrees shows 89.

I am constantly amazed at the temp fluctuations in my town. There are microclimates everywhere.
    I can go inland and it will be 5-8 degrees hotter than where I live.

We are about 3 blocks from the harbor. It will read 83 degrees and I can drive to our beachhouse
    and it is 69. 10 miles by car. 4 miles as the crow flies. Of course the ocean hasn't heated up yet. But the DIC just brings into focus why our ancestors headed to the oceans and the mountains in the Summer.
    Another cool thing is to watch the temp drop while on a bridge and then go back up again.
    All within 2 miles.
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    My 01 LS just passed 50K. Mileage runs 27-30 routinely depending on route and speed. The mileage on this car is spectacular in my book. My DIC also measures mileage about 2mpg on the optimistic side. The temp indicator has been dead on. The car is tight, drives great and is a blast to drive on my long commute.

Now, if they can just provide an aluminum plenum......
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    Check out the latest J.D. Powers and associates initial quality rankings released yesterday.....Chevy Impala is one of the highest quality cars (Tied with the Chevy Montecarlo and Buick Regal) in the Premium Full Size category. The Mercury Sable (Surprising for a Ford product) made it and got the award, but the Impala was a close second....congrats GM.

Also, check out Carpoint.com today..the Impala is the most efficient full size sedan according to the EPA.

I didn't see the vaunted Toyota Avalon anywhere listed....hmmmmmm Chevy beat Toyota?
  • rbb2rbb2 Member Posts: 70
    check it out:

canadiandriver.com/articles/rp/03impala.htm
    Excellent review. I agree with mostly of what the author said.
  • boltzieboltzie Member Posts: 5
    Hi. I've been looking at a Camry, Accord, and Impala LS. All these cars are within a grand (+/-). The kicker is that GM is offering a $3k rebate and I have the old GM Card that has $2700 in earnings. Basically, I'll be able to take $5700 off of the price. Right now, I'm currently at $100 + Invoice in Ohio and WV, but all the invoices in this area have an advertising fee shown on the invoice print and dealers are not budging on this advertisement price. What do you guys/gals think?

I'm a little concerned with the intake manifold problem from reading the posts on this site. Also, any concerns with the 3800 engine? But a lot of repairs can be made for $5700.

Thanks for your input.
    --Dan
    My deal was $98 over invoice and I think there was $179 advertising fee in the invoice.
    That was 2 years ago so I don't remember the exact amount.
    Boltzie, aside from the upper thrmplastic manifold problem I had back in December (Promptly replaced and fixed to perfection), the 3800 series II V6 is otherwise an extremely reliable, fuel frugal, powerful, smooth and virtually bulletproof powerplant. The 3800 is what makes the Impala have its worth in gold. Also the 4-speed GM automatic is sooo smooth and responsive in kickdown you hardly feel the shifts, if any at all.

Also one of the best features in this car are the CD Stereo (Make sure you get the cruise control and steering wheel mounted radio controls) and the powerful A/C...you can hang meat off the dash vents....the air is that cold (I live in Florida so I know better).

The 3800 series II V6 engine is a very cheap engine to maintain due to its simple design (Pushrod) and fewer moving parts. Also the 3800 has a metal timing chain, not a rubber timing belt (Not sure if Accord and Camry still use rubber timing belts) so it does not require replacement before 150K miles at the very least.

Camry and Accord have excellent V6 engines as well, but these are DOHC (Double or single overhead cam engines) that give you more power in the upper power band but also are more complex, have more moving parts and require more expensive yearly maintanance stops.

The 3800 is a pushrod that has gobs of torque down low (225 pounds feet of torque @ 4,000 RPM) and therefore this car gives you the ability for strong take offs and ease of merging in freeway lanes. You push the gas pedal and off it goes.

This engine is extremely fuel frugal more so than the smaller lower 3 litre range engines in the Accord and Camry. I have pulled 34+MPG in the highway @ 70 MPH and 20MPG in the city all on 89 midgrade fuel (You can use 87 octane as well).

The Impala's powertrain while not cutting edge technology gives you a very solid, smooth and durable powertrain system for years to come.

If you have any more questions, feel free to post them.
    On the price - I assume you mean $100 over invoice before applying rebates. If not you are getting the shaft. Impalas are selling at invoice minus all rebates (including GM Card earnings).

For example, a car that invoices for $24K should cost you $18,300 after rebate and your GM earnings.

Of course any trade-in will alter the pricing. I might be stating the obvious...but just in case...
    I was quoted a price of $17,770 on the base Impala, base V6, with the 1SB option package (cruise, CD, etc.). This is for a new 2003, either ordered from the factory or from their lot.

This is after the $3,000 rebate, no advertising fees, plus tax and licensing, with free mudguards. This is a little more than $100 over invoice. I'm wondering if the dealer would do better...since it did not take a lot of negotiating to get the price down. The only remaining factor holding me back is the quick depreciation. Should I take this price?
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Here's my 2 cents along with everyone else. If resale value down the road is more important then I would go with Camry or Accord. If a larger vehicle with more room & better fuel economy is more important then (again in my opinion) the Impala wins hands down. We have owned both. Fit & finish on the Japanese vehicles is excellent. The Americans are getting better. What you are facing now is it is early in the month. At my last recollection, the American manufactures push their better incentives to the dealerships at the end of the month. The Japanese manufactures do the exact opposite and push their incentives to the dealers at the beginning of the month. Resale of the Impalas has been taking a beating because of all the rebates and fleet vehicle sales. You shouldn't be paying anything over invoice because the dealer holdback hasn't entered the picture. I have been fortunate in always starting at their invoice price and working my way DOWN from there. I've had to shop a bit , but it has been worth it to me. Drive them all, go with whatever puts the biggest smile on your face. Good luck with your final decision.
  • atbearatbear Member Posts: 322
    that price is too high..... you can get it down to around 16K +/-
    atbear:

I checked several online pricing sites and all came up with an invoice $17,650, after the rebate, for the car I described. I don't have any GM card discounts or anything else. Even at $16,500, I would buy it today. Could you please tell me how I might get it for around $16k, plus or minus? Is there something I've missed?
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I've seen 2003 Impalas (base, I suspect with no options) on TV here (Arkansas) touted at $16,600 or so (after all rebates and incentives). Not sure what the option package would bring that to, but FWIW. Seems like it was @ $5k under MSRP.

Also, I've got a 2000 base w/3.8l engine; averaging @ 23MPG overall. Oddly enough, that's also the average I had in my '84 2.0l 4-cylinder Buick Skyhawk I bought new in college. Hard to believe a car as big as the Impala, with so called "outdated" mechanicals, can pull this off.

Finally, we just bought a new '03 4-cylinder Accord for my wife last week. I've only driven it a couple of times, and while the interior is a notch or two above the Impalas (although the Honda's streering wheel mounted radio/cruise buttons don't light up at night), I much prefer the more comfortable seats, greater shoulder/hip room, etc. to the Accord.

I think if you buy a car and drive it forever (to the point that resale isn't an issue), the Impala is the way to go (especially if you've got GM Card money to lay down on top of other incentives). If you trade regularly, I'd probably lean toward the Honda.
  • boltzieboltzie Member Posts: 5
    Are most buyers paying this 'regional advertising fee' that is showing up on the invoice? I may try to get down to invoice, and leave the advertising fee on it, but only if necessary.

Thanks.
    The advertising fee is usual in a metro area. The dealers have to pay it.
    All new vehicles depreciate a lot now. it doesn't have so much to do with the rebates but with what they can buy it at an auction.
    There is a flood of GM cars and others at the auctions.
    Plus dealers make more on used cars than they used to.
    In '83 I sold my 4 month old 6000 mile stripper Z28 for $10,500 to a dealer. I paid $11,678 for it.
    That is about $1200 depreciation.

If I did that today they probably would have given me $8500 for it.
  • ndmike88ndmike88 Member Posts: 155
    My son is hoping to purchase an 03 Impala LS. Leather, sunroof..... From what I've read the car seems pretty good. My question is what do you like or dislike about the Impala? Should he buy the extended warranty? I guess I'm asking would you recommend the Impala LS?
    Thanks
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Here's my professional opinion since my career is in procurement...

First, NEVER walk into the dealership without looking in the weekend classified ads. Spend two weekends looking at the ads to monitor who's selling what and at what price. Patience is the key. Knowledge is power!! It's easier to buy a car when it is on sale, than it is by walking into a dealership blindly to hassle with the negotiation process.

Secondly, my experience is that sales promotions are typically heavy during the holiday weekend. Well guess what? Memorial Day is end of this month! You have a major holiday, plus it's at the end of the month!! Can you say "Sales Quota"? Ka-ching$$! More savings...

Third, if you find a car that you like is on sale (most are loss leaders), you have to arrive to the dealership as soon as they open up. Sales promotions typically begins on Friday or Saturday. Get there early! AFter buying four new cars in the past, I have never had a dealer that told me he "sold" the car already. Sometimes these loss leader cars that are on sale 'may' be a sales gimmick to draw you into their showroom. IF so, don't get upset if they told you "it's sold". Walk out the door. Remember, patience is the key to savings!

Fourth, after two-three weeks of looking in the paper, and not finding anything you like, you can now walk into the dealership to begin your negotiation process. You must understand that EVERYTHING is negotiatable, including advertising fees. Currently, GM is offering $3K rebate. That means GM is paying you $3K to buy this car. You also have to negotiate with the dealer on his selling price. A fair offer on a LS is $2500 off MSRP. Thus, $3K rebate plus $2.5K off MSRP yield you a total savings of $5.5K off total MSRP. Throw in your GM rebate and you can easily buy the LS for less than $20K!

Good luck! Keep us inform!
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    The best thing that I like about my Impala LS is the comfort, adequate hp/torque, acceleration, lots of cargo space, and above all, the silky smooth transmission! Boy, this car is soooo smooooth!
    I am very pleased with my 03LS because of the way it handles and the comfort it affords. It gets very good gas mileage and styling is much better than imports IMO, especially without the useless spoiler. If you are price conscious I recommend asking the dealer what units he has on order where he can still change the options to get exactly what you want. This car depreciates quickly and I wouldn't pay for any options I didn't want--why buy a car for the next guy? Also, it's easier to get the rock bottom price if you are ordering because the dealer has no money tied up in the car. I got my LS in three weeks with the options I selected and in the color I wanted. Forget about "sale" times, they are just a way of generating floor traffic. Go an hour before closing time on a weeknight, preferably when it's raining. I cannot recommend an extended warranty for a reliable car such as Impala.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I've got a 201 LS.......Bought it new almost 2 years ago.......I have driven only CHEVYS for 35 years.....best one I have ever owned....
    If you purchase the car don't both with the extended warranty yet when the time comes after 30 months or so of ownership you decide to keep the car for years..you can negotiate an extended warranty up until the 36 months or 36000 miles are up. If before you sold the car or it was written off in an accident you are out that money you paid for that warranty..