Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• ndesmithndesmith Member Posts: 5
    I paid $23 for my rear bumper step plate. I bought it at cost when I bought my MPV. I live in the Seattle area.
  • bill124bill124 Member Posts: 246
    Very interesting posting. I really can't say I have wide spread chipping but the chip I referred to is troublesome after reading your posting as I can't be sure it was the result of something hitting the van (e.g., shopping cart, car door) as opposed to it just coming off. It is on one of the lines of the quarter panel on the front end near the passenger's door. It is high enough up so that it would be difficult to be a door that banged it and there isn't really a dent, just the missing paint. I never saw something like it since there isn't really any mark, just the missing paint. When was your van made? Mine was 8/99.

$23 was great price on the bumper plate. Bought it today for $32.
  • jimjpsjimjps Member Posts: 146
    I notice several references (like Edmund's) to the LEV (calif) MPV having 160 hp instead of 170HP. Yet I see no reference to reduced HP for the same Duratec engine in the Cougar, Mystique or Contour for LEV states. A little puzzling to me. Can anyone enlighten me as to what accounts for the 10 hp drop? Is it a different more restrictive catalytic converter or a program change in the chip?
  • meerameera Member Posts: 50
    Well, I'm not alone with this problem either. My van is 7/99. I'm going to call mazda about it.
  • not40yetnot40yet Member Posts: 10
    I've been reading these boards for some time now, and I thought it was time to share an interesting tidbit...

Last night I saw Mazda's new ad for the 2001 MPV: the theme is "zoom, zoom, zoom", the music is upbeat and playful, and they compare it to the RX-7 and the Miata! Any bets that there's a bigger engine in the MPV's future?

Mazda has said since it's introduction that they want to position the MPV as the "sports car of mini-vans", but they've taken a beating in the press, as we all know, because of the sub-par acceleration performance (sorry, but a spade is a spade is a spade).

I know that plenty of people like myself have been keeping a close eye on the MPV because it fits so well with our needs (I really don't need a bus, but I would like 7 passenger seating), and one of our mutual concerns has been power. In my case, we live in the mountains and I want to tow a small tent camper - the 2.5l just won't cut it.

(My Forester's 2.5l 4-cylinder beats Mazda's 6 in HP, peak torque, and low-end pulling power, and does all that while meeting NLEV emissions in all 50 states. What the heck is Mazda doing with those extra cylinders anyway?)

The ad said that August 17th is the official launch date for the 2001's.

By the way, there have been a few posts from people who have called Mazda or a dealer on the larger engine issue for next year. As someone who's been involved with product launches before, I can tell you that those people who do know at Mazda have been sworn to secrecy under penalty of losing their job, and those that don't know won't find out until after the fact. Mazda has to move their current inventory, and that's just the way it's done.

I'm very hopeful for the bigger engine. Advertising is expensive. They wouldn't spend the money on image if they couldn't fit the bill.

Food for thought...sorry for the long post.
    Is your problem wide spread or concentrated? I presume your MPV is white.
  • elvis_hooelvis_hoo Member Posts: 12
    I have almost never heard of the mainstream automotive media being surprised at the last minute by a major upgrade in any car or truck. Look at Mazda's own Tribute SUV; it was being test-driven and written about long before it was released (has it even been released?).

Thus, I find it difficult to believe that the 3.0L will magically appear in the 2001 MPV without any advance warning. I would be very pleasantly surprised if Mazda were to do so, but I wouldn't get my hopes up on it at this point. A few months ago, I would have bet on the 3.0L appearing very soon, but since I've seen absolutely nothing in the press about it, I'm downgrading my prediction.

They will have to do something soon, but I fear that they are hunkering down until 2002 or very late in the 2001 model year. Not that it matters much to me, as I've been enjoying my 2.5L MPV since March, but I do hate to see my vehicle harangued in the press for being underpowered.
  • derekyeuderekyeu Member Posts: 7
    IMHO, the dealers and Mazda USA have everything reason not to mention anything about the 3.0 engine for 2001 model even it really is coming. What are they going to do with all these underpowered 2000 models, if the better engine is just around the corner. We will only know when the car is in the dealer's lot.

-derek
    You make a good point about the trade rags.

It's clear that the mainstream automotive media are willing partners in advertising up and coming models, i.e. that they're fed information intended by the manufacturers for public consumption (all the "secret" exposes notwithstanding - with the amount of money on the line, no magazine is going to risk irritating an auto manufacturer).

I do wonder about the case where the manufacturer is concerned about moving inventory at the end of the model year.

Probably wishful thinking on my part. Fortunately, we have only a few weeks before we find out.
    If it's the same commercial I saw, I think they were trying to get people interested in the new model (Tribute) coming up in 2001. They just kept flashing pictures of all the other Mazda's and saying how sporty, great, etc they were and then at the end mention something new is coming for 2001. That's what I got out of it anyhow. I'm interested to see what they do for the 2001 MPV also.
    My 8 month old White MPV already has more chips on the hood than my 9 year old MPV did (it was white too BTW). Then when I got gas the other day I discover a piece of paint missing next to the lid over the gas cap. I am very careful putting gas and I can't imagine a rock getting in there to chip the paint. The only good thing is the touch up paint matches reasonably well. That was one of the reasons I bought white.
    Is there only one Mazda white or are there different ones depending on the year of manufacture? My wife picked some up the other day and said based on the way it looked in the holder, it looked like it wasn't the same color, though the dealer assured her it was. For $4 bucks, they shouldn't be trying to push it on you when if it is the wrong color, you are screwed.
  • alexv1alexv1 Member Posts: 3
    Is it only white paint that peels? What about other colors? I'm mostly concerned about highlight silver or sand mica because this is what I'm considering to buy?
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    Our silver MVP is nine months old and never garaged. The paint still looks great.
  • topspinsteventopspinsteven Member Posts: 10
    I'm surprised the launch date is August 17, considering that the "so called" current incentives don't expire till September 5th, (which are the $1,000 factory to dealer incentive and the 4.9% 48 mo and 6.9% 60 mo). I called Mazda and they seemed kinda firm that no new incentives would be available until September 6th. With that being the case, how in the world are they gonna move the 2000's between now and then? I don't understand Mazda, because most other manufacturers are offering some killer incentives, like .9% long term financing, but Mazda doesn't do anything to compete with that. I have two Mazda dealers near me which I drive by quite frequently, and from what I see, the MPV's are NOT moving. I'm still in the market for an MPV, but I guess I'll wait till September 6th. If the 2001's are on the lot by then, and the van still isn't selling, I'm hoping that they will be practically giving away the 2000's. I'm kinda rolling the dice here, because one of the local dealers here has most MPV's priced $800 below invoice, but I'm gonna hold out to see if I can do even better (hopefully 0% or .9% financing at invoice). Considering that I'm in the market for an ES, a financing incentive would he huge since the more expensive the vehicle, the greater the value of the lower financing.

Sorry if I rambled on too long,
    Anxiously awaiting September 6th,

Steve
    With the rear seat folded and the 2nd row removed, how long is the cargo area in the 2000 MPV?

I've read that you can't put a 4x8' sheet of plywood flat into the MPV. Will they fit on edge?

I don't haul building supplies very often, and when I do, it's typically small amounts (in fact, I've put 2-3 sheets of drywall up on a roof rack before to get them home). I'm wondering if you can get the hatch closed with a 4x8' sheet in the van.

I'm assuming that there's enough height to get the sheets in on their edge if you lean them over a bit.

TIA
    I don't remember the exact dimensions of the MPV cargo area with the 2nd row seats removed, but I am certain that it's too short for 4x8 sheets of drywall. I recently put a pre-hung 32" wide door back there (~83" long) and it barely fit length-wise (no problem width-wise). It maybe had an inch or two to spare. Since 8' = 96", you'd be almost a foot short unless you left the tailgate up.

Don't forget that the MPV is based on the 626 platform, so it has a short wheelbase for a minivan. By comparison, it's 14" shorter and 4" narrower than the Odyssey. You can't fit quite as much in the back, but it's a lot easier to park or fit into a narrow garage. Also, as you pointed out, you can easily strap sheets of plywood or drywall to the roof.
  • sr_srikanthsr_srikanth Member Posts: 41
    Hey Guys,

I am joining the MPV club too. I am just closing a deal for LX silver with 4 seasons, security pkg, rear a/c, roof rack, 3 in 1 audio for 23,250. I am also getting 2.9% for 36 months. I am paying 250 above invoice. I know many people have got much much better deals, but I am new to USA and I dont have a great credit history, so nobody will give me even the normal APR finance. The only one I got approved was for 10.59%. So I decided to take the dealers offer. Even though it is higher than what others paid, I will still save on the interest which will make things even. ( I hope so).

I have a question. My van does not have mud guards and rear bumper step plate. I wanted to add them and the dealer wont give them in invoice price any more. The labour charges he adds is very high. Is it possible to buy them and fit them by myslef? Any opinions on this?

Thanks in advance.
    Hi All,

One more question? Any body bought extended warranty from the dealer? How is it priced?

Thanks.
  • cmm4cmm4 Member Posts: 7
    From the back of the front seats to the tailgate is 7' and you have about 42" between the inside wheel wells. So even with the tailgate up it's the width thats the problem. Even though there's about 9' from the dash to the tailgate (using the space between the two front seats),the lowest point in the ceiling is 44" from floor to ceiling so 4X8's won't fit sideways either. You can put upto a 2X8 (on the flat) with the tailgate closed
    (about 8" between the two front seats).
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    If you are carrying that much plywood why wouldn't you just buy a truck? Most of the times I have had to use plywood it would need to be cut to a specific size. Most home improvement stores will cut it for you nowadays so if you do need a single piece for a project, simply get it cut at the store. Lets get over the fact that the MPV is not a truck nor was it designed to be. Its purpose is to transport people mainly short, ice cream eating ones. Those are the type that really love the MPV. I have yet to hear a single complaint from the soccer playing, ice cream eating, short munchkin special interest group. Matter of fact the words I have heard are "Awesome Van" & "I hope you have the van DAD!!!"
    My touch up paint says "PT" on the cap. It matches quite well after you shake it a lot. My 91 MPV was a brighter white than the 2000. It's more of an off white, which I actually like better. I think some of the other Mazdas also use the "PT" color. Good Luck!
  • dlncmaydlncmay Member Posts: 27
    RE: Bumper Plate. Put it on yourself. It is no big deal. I made $35 for it. Some of paid a little less, some more. Some other owners have put on their own mud guards. It sounds like a little tougher job, but doable.

Take care.
  • dnamarteldnamartel Member Posts: 16
    I'm wondering whether its worth buying a used van to get us through 12-18 months. A year's depreciation on a '96-97 Quest that might be bought for ~$11-14k might be acceptable. Given the MPV I'd like to buy will be around for 6-8 years, I want the 3.0L.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    ...a short-term lease on an MPV, just to see if you really like it. This way you can drive an MPV while waiting for a larger engine model to come out. I'm actually hoping for all-wheel-drive more than a bigger motor, but I live in serious snow country.

I'd guess (only a guess) that we won't see a 3.0 motor until the 2002 model year. With the Tribute/Escape arriving, I don't think there will be the capacity for supplying all those 3.0s to the salavating masses (us). But, who knows...

Cheers!

--Java
    The directions say use a mixture of 50% rubbing alcohol and 50% water to clean the bumper. What is the purpose of the rubbing alcohol? Anyone use only water?
  • cyclerklmcyclerklm Member Posts: 26
    Bill124-
    The rubbing alcohol removes any wax or polish on the bumper. If you clean only with water, the plate may only be sticking to the thin wax layer which will wear away in time.

I installed the bumper plate a couple of weeks ago, and am pleased with it.
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Hey...Did you ever get the email I sent to you? I was hoping for some sort of reply, and hadn't gotten one yet, so I figured I'd ask.
    sorry, response forth-coming. Checketh thy email.

--Java
    Anyone have difficulty moving the shift from park to drive? Maybe I am used to a floor shift as opposed to the steering wheel but it seems hard to do. I note that I haven't driven a car with a steering wheel shift for around 15 years and I only drive the MPV occassionally on weekends.
  • jwstanjwstan Member Posts: 2
    The bumper guard and mud flaps are very easy to put on. Other than cleaning the bumper with the alcohol all you have to do is apply strips of double faced tape to to the back of the guard to attach it. It really helps to keep the bumper from getting scratched up.

The front mud flaps are a bit more difficult to attach than the rear as they require you to drill one hole in the bottom of each front wheel well so that a rivet can hold it more securely. Other than that they have two other screws that hold each of them in place. The rear flaps simply attach (in about five minutes) with a couple of screws at the edge of the wheel well opening. There are no special skills required and the directions are very explicit.
    Forgive me if this sounds obvious, but make sure that you pull the shifter slightly toward you as you rotate it out of "Park".
    Hi,

Thanks for the reply. I will try myself to fix the bumper step plate and mud guards.

Thanks again.
  • doddhamdoddham Member Posts: 4
    Sorry for the late response, I've been out of town. If you go to www.mazdausa.com and under MPV (or any vehicle for that matter) go to "Build your own" and then to "Quote request", then vehicle you are looking for will be e-mailed to the 5 nearest dealers for their response and best price quote. It worked great for me. Good luck.
  • 20232023 Member Posts: 1
    Just took delivery of a 2000 MPV LX with 1LX Security Pckg, Rear Air AC8, and 3-In-1 RA9. Negotiated to total final price of 21,377 + TTL, and even found the color I wanted (avail is getting tighter every week now). The sales people all seem to be motivated to move inventory now since their 2001 cars will start arriving in the first couple weeks of September, and they used-up their $1000 manufacturer's incentive amount to make my sale, or so they claimed anyway. Overall, I'm very happy with the vehicle and the accel on the 2.5L is perfectly acceptable to me. Never owned a Mazda before and I hope it lasts. I want to be driving it for a very very long time.
    sr_srikanth,
    Don't get the extended warrenty from the dealer, you can get a much better deal from just about any car insurance company. From the dealer, I was quoted a price of $1200 for a 5 year 75,000 mile warrenty. By comparison, Allstate had a 5 year 90,000 mile warrenty for about $650.
    Please post contact information and other details regarding the 5 year warranty. Did you buy it? Is Allstate the big insurance company?
    Do tell more! Interested for my 96 Volvo.

-Java
  • alexv1alexv1 Member Posts: 3
    Hi,

I'm finally ready to buy the MPV. I have been to a dealer today and tried to talk about numbers slightly and when I mentioned the holdback I was told that there's no such thing for import cars here. Is it true that Mazda doesn't provide Canadian dealers with holdbacks? Any Canadian buyers who accounted for holdbacks out there? Any help would be appreciated. Thanks.
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    when i got my mpv i got a quote from apa. i did not see any holdback in there.

for more info on apa and other canadian tips, go to topic 1258
    http://townhall-talk.edmunds.com/engaged/edmund.cgi?c=Vans&f=0&t=1258
  • mpvfanmpvfan Member Posts: 1
    I have just purchased Mpv on last week and there was no mention about holdback but piece of advise go to more then one dealer and tell them the other dealer is giving it at a lower price just so they can sell they will beat your price. Make sure to give a reasonable price.
  • mykidsdrivermykidsdriver Member Posts: 21
    Received the Mazda recall about tires about a week ago and had Mazda service center check pressures for me while car was in for an oil change. Every tire measured at 45 psi!!! They took it down to the recommended 36. This may mean farewell to my better-than-advertised gas mileage...
    You can get information on the Allstate extended warranties from there website (that's where I got it from). Also, the more miles you have on your vehicle, the more expensive the warranty. Also, I think there is also a maximum limit on the mileage, over which you can't get an extended warranty. So I'm not sure if it's available on, say, a '96 model. You might want to check with other insurance companies also (Geico, State Farm, Progressive, etc.) they could be cheaper. Allstate is the only one I checked, for dealer comparison, and have yet to decide whether or not to purchase the warrenty. Hope this helps!
    your suspiciously high fuel mileage. j/k :-)

re: the bumper recall. My dealer also showed me a memo from Mazda talking about the recall. Said it was supposed to be issued "beginning in July," but July just barely ended. I think it'll be along the same timing as the tire pressure recall. That started in June, and I got my literature just last Friday. So, it'll probably be issued sometime mid-to-late September. Also, the factory could be using all their available parts for the 2001 models, which are surely being constructed right now.

--Java
  • steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    When I went to install the new tire stickers on the car and in the manual, the new information was already there. Anybody else find this true?
  • auerbachauerbach Member Posts: 110
    I noticed the same thing about sticker in the manual. It had the same info as on the recall sticker. Didn't notice if the door jamb stickers were the same. Are they?

If Mazda (or the dealer) already put new (correct) stickers on, why the need for a recall?
    Perhaps older models didn't have the updated manuals? Just a guess.
  • jessjimjessjim Member Posts: 4
    We finally received a fix from the Mazda dealership on the lack of air coming out of the bi-level ac setting . To all out there with this problem Mazda issued a technical bulletin on how to repair this problem. It is an adjustment of the vent control cable requiring the glove box to be removed to take up the slack in the airflow mode linkage. Works great now . Part #Lc70-61-c35.
    Kudos to our dealership The Mazda Gallery in Massachusetts for your diligence on this matter .
  • steeplejacksteeplejack Member Posts: 16
    Glad you got your a/c fixed. Actually, I am glad to hear a good thing about Mazda Gallery as I drove up there from Ct. for price but the delivery experience was horrible. Disorganized, chaotic...sad. I wished I lived closer to enjoy what may be a good service department.
  • kelly5mpvkelly5mpv Member Posts: 11
    I just put the bug deflector on my Sand mica MPV.
    Has anyone done this? I got the smoke one, it looks pretty good. After going to the Jersey shore a few times I noticed the very front of the hood was getting marked up. Hope this helps the situation. I paid $68 from the dealer, and I put it on in about 10 minutes.
  • rmmwrmmw Member Posts: 1
    I am looking to buy a MPV LX and have negotiated a price with a dealer which is $300 below the invoice. I am guessing the dealer is using some of the $1000 incentive in the pricing. However, they said that they can not offer me the 2.9% financing at that price. Have anyone purchased a MPV where they received both the dealer incentive and special financing? Any input would be appreciated.