Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    Anyone have an update on the delivery date...still late summer?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Saw it in a TV comercial last week.
    My '01 Impala LS turned 2 years old June 1st. I now have over 41,000 miles on it.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Today, after 2 years and 4 months, I have finally paid off my loan on my 2000 Impala LS!! Woohoo!

With slightly over 34K miles, this car still drives like a dream.
  • bearmerbearmer Member Posts: 37
    Makers and dealers share the cost of advertising because they both benefit. This is true in other industries, too. It's always been called cooperative advertising. A few years ago somebody got the bright idea to list it as an element of the cost of the car and make the customer pay it. Sometimes the salesman doesn't even mention it until he gives you the pen to sign the contract. Heating the building is a cost of doing business, too, but he doesn't ask the customer to pay for his share (yet). Cooperative charges aren't billed by units sold so the dealer's yearly bill is fixed no matter how many cars he sells.

I've talked to two kinds of dealers, those who don't try to collect it and those who treat it as sacrosanct and act astonished that you should even suggest that it's bogus. When you talk to one of these be sure he understands that what matters to you is the final cost and his fee can take him out of the running against dealers who don't charge it.
  • drivinisfundrivinisfun Member Posts: 372
    My '01 Impala LS is also already paid off. I took delivery exactly 26 and a half months ago. 21,100 miles and still drives great. Will be going to a new home sometime this month.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    If you don't pay the advertising fee they will make it up somewhere else like by selling you an extended warranty or charging a titling fee.
  • bearmerbearmer Member Posts: 37
    Well, I agree that the dealer will figure out how to make a profit on the sale but the fees matter if you are trying to bargain based on the invoice price.

The invoice is the sum of the wholesale prices for each item on the factory window sticker. To that, add the full destination charge. When somebody buys a car for $300 over invoice it means just that. No paperwork handling fee, floorplan fee, advertising fee, window etching fee, preparation charge, market adjustment, or whatever else he tells you is part of his cost. If you pay invoice + $300 + a bunch of fees he makes a windfall.

I think somebody can do okay by getting a couple of Internet quotes, then walk into a few showrooms and compare the "driveaway" price of each one. That's the true bottom line of the contract. One may be honest enough to list the invoice and his $300 margin. Another may tell you he's selling it for $100 under invoice then add $400 in fees. Either way the price is the same. I like the first kind of contract (and dealer).

There' one more element of pricing worth mentioning. The dealer gets a refund of 3% of the MSRP (not including destination charge) of each car he sells at the end of the quarter. It's called holdback. This means that he can sell the car at invoice and make a profit. But it's really a discount on the interest he's paying GM to finance his total new car inventory. I don't know if it shows up as revenue on his books.
  • mard22mard22 Member Posts: 4
    I recently purchased a 2002 Impala LS and have a whole lot of road noise and a wheel noise when turning. Dealers keep telling me its the tires causing this. Has anyone had this problem
    All 2001 and later w body cars have additional wheelwell liners to lower the road noise.
    For instance my 2001 Impala is significantly quieter than my '99 Intrigue.
    Which tires do you have? Are they cupped? Or worn abnormally.
  • mard22mard22 Member Posts: 4
    I have Goodyear eagle tires
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    When I replaced my original Goodyear Eagle tires with Dunlops, the noise level dropped substantially on my 2000 LS. Even my mother, who is partly deaf and not all that observant about things car-related, noticed right away!
  • tgp1810tgp1810 Member Posts: 112
    So what are the current incentives for both purchasing and leasing. I do get the GM employee discount - if that makes any difference.
    Try the Michelin Harmony's. I replaced the Goddyears on my Impala with them and they are noticebly quieter.
    Got to tirerack.com and get the reviews from fellow drivers.
  • letsgetmikeyletsgetmikey Member Posts: 82
    Is that there are no less than seven, yep count 'em 7, base prices for the base Impala for the 2003 model year.

I've been looking to replace the Sihouette I have as a company car, and have been researching the Impala.

Starting off the model year, the base standard vehicle price (before destination charge) has gone from:

and the last I've seen is 21160 just today.

That's a $695 price increase since October. I don't think the General is giving us back the coinholder and floor mats in the increase either.

Also, there has been at least one bump up on the destination charge from $630 to $660 this year.

When you run an invoice on Edmunds or anywhere else, you need to be sure the base prices match. I believe Edmunds only posts the latest one.

This can bite you if you are looking at an early model year car using today's invoice prices. What you think is 100 over invoice may actually be closer to 1000 over!

I'm afraid by the time I'm ready to buy later this year, the base price may be over 22k.

Mikey
    That's why Edmunds also lists the retail price. IF the retail prices don't match, the invoice prices won't either.
    I am of the belief that GM has basically lost their mind.
    The price increases continue unabate adn the rebates continue unabated.
    The cars are clearly not worth what they are asking for them.
    Why not decrease the MSRP by 2 grand and run the occasional $500 rebate or low interest loan.
    Because with the higher stated retail price, one can qualify for loans that you couldn't otherwise. Also, some people want that rebate in their pocket, and mistakenly believe it is money from heaven (they get to pay it back as part of the loan).

Also $3000 off sounds ever so much better than a price that is $3000 less. Human nature.

Chrysler started this back when it was near bankruptcy. Iacocca: BUY A CAR, GET A CHECK.

It was years before it stopped.

This time, note that the alleged foreign manufacturers are NOT having to do it. Only the Big Three are racing to the bottom. It may well take one or more of them to the brink of bankruptcy before it is over.
    And the never ending rebates and free financing are affecting the residual values of these cars. GM needs to realize this one way or another. While I think the Impala is a terrific product in many ways, but the resale value of this car is quickly deteriorating and it is sad to think that only after 36 months of service all you can get back is about 37% to 40% of original MSRP.

Message to GM: Stop being the "Walmart" of the auto industry. Stop killing the resale value of your products with rebates, free financing and never ending fleet sales. Let your products stand on their own merits and quality not on fire sales!!
    to justify a new one. I'm seeing 02 base Impalas advertised for 11k with about 20k miles or so. Rentals I guess.

They're looking like a better alternative than new. Especially since I drive 40k miles a year.

Mikey
    The real problem is two-fold. First, GM charges too much for its core line products. The Impala should never sticker for $29K (LS w/sport app. package) or $26K for the "most wanted" LS package. How about $40K for a Park Ave. Get serious.

Same is true for the new Grand Prix among others. Cadillac is the likely exception as their product line is about to become phenomenal.

The first issue feeds the second, they need rebates to move the products. Over priced and crappy quality. The market corrects itself as soon as they become available used.

Simple case study, read this months issue of Car and Driver on the new Acura TSX. The attention to quality and workmanship are amazing for $26,900 (w/an automatic).

Ok, the TSX (or an Accord) is not my cup of tea, but if ever C&D or others were to write such glowing words about a GM product please sign me up. No matter what GM vehicle is reviewed there is always caveats about its interior or and workmanship.

The solution is so simple for GM but for some reason they just can not execute. We wait and wait yet are contantly disappointed (or amazed).

Bottom line is $28-$30K for a mid-size GM just ain't right. If they price the Malibu wrong you can bet your bottom dollar it will have rebate city on it very quick.

My prediction is that the new Grand Prix has rebates by September...they are not moving. You heard it here first.
    Been cruising around GM BuyPower site and came upon an Impala that is tough to sell:

Base model
    Every Conceivable option including XM radio, and something called "Description not available" for $695

list price $26231

For a base Impala. I wonder if it was ordered and the customer backed out. LS models start out around $24.5K

It has the oldest base price of 20465 so it must have been manufactured in say August or September.

Like to see the floorplan cost on that one.

Mikey
    I couldn't agree more with your Gary. In fact, I paid a hair over $21K back in early 2001 to get my nicely equipped Impala LS. Today you are expected to pay over $23K+ for the same exact car, meanwhile the interior looks the same, the plastics are the same, the powertrain (Albeit excellent) is the same, the looks are the same, etc, etc.

The Impala was a terrific value back in '99, '00 and '01 which was their introductory market period. these cars have become more and more expensive since the 2002 model year. Last year more fierce competitors have been introduced to the market with more power, world class safety and interiors for the same money or less.

I think your analogy of the Acura TSX (Not my cup of tea either) brilliantly summarizes the ever present predicament of GM's bread and butter product...good quality, realible but nothing special at the end of the day...see my drift?
    At the risk of boring you guys, I will reiterate what i have posted before.
    The 02's were 1K more than the '01's and the '03's were 1K more than the '02's and it looks like the '04s will start at 1K more than the '03's.
    Totally ridiciulous, especially in light of the 3K rebate.
    I get your drift exactly. The asian cars bore me. Excellent cars they are but even the Maxima does nothing for me emotionally.

I love the rumble of an American car...all of them. I need to feel attached to the car and the Accord/Camry/Mazda-6 etc. just don't do it for me.

But we deserve better than what GM is putting in their cars. Hence, they don't sell. The Grand Prix is disappointing on so many fronts.

The CTS is getting close but again it is overpriced...it will be $40K with the new engine this summer and the V-version will be $50K.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Anyone seen the new Impala SS TV commercial yet? It features the Beach Boy's "409" in the background. Granted, the new SS should have a 0-60 time in the mid-6 second range (same as the 400 HP version of the 409 engine), but I think it's a stretch to imply the '04 SS is equal to the '63 one.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I like the commercial.....brings back the memories! I think thats what Chevy is implying (nastalgia)....The Beach Boys song 409 actually refers to the 1962 Impala SS 409..A little history....The first Impala SS debuted in late 1961.. (few were made)...This 409 cubic inch engine was a high performance option......Engine came in 3 versions during its availability....1962-1964 were the heydays for the Impala SS 409....replaced during the 1965 model year with 396....The 409 was a very heavy and not so reliable engine...as were most big blocks back then....Most popular and cheapest version was the 340 horsepower 409 which many US police departments ordered back then (state troopers) had 409 equipped Chevrolet Belair cruisers..The 400 and 425 hp 409's (very few were made) With proper gearing, tuning, high octane gas and cheater slick tires these 409's could run high 12 second quater mile times, compared to 15 seconds for the new Impala SS..Back then a few stop light drag races usually ended their life early. For those of us that remember back in the 60's.....when our buddies had these new 409 Impalas, 396 Chevelles and 327 Chevy II'S...and they would lay 2 strips of burning rubber 100 feet long in front of our high school...I can still smell the smoke!! oh! the memories!!!
  • regfootballregfootball Member Posts: 2,166
    a guy at work today, DIEHARD GM fan, he's 34 and drives a LESABRE of all cars....loves GM to death, he even ripped Chevy a new one for waiting 5 years to get the supercharger on the Impala.
    I found the link showing the 1963 Impala SS equipped with a 340 horsepower 409 (automatic trans):

http://www.55-57chevys.com/coccc/articles/613/63asty2.html

As you can see (on page 2), it had a 0-60 time of 6.6 seconds, which is equivalent to the '03 Buick Regal GS and Pontiac Grand Prix GTP cars, which come equipped with the supercharged 3800 Series II engine. The '04 Impala SS will have this same engine, and should have an equivalent 0-60 time (6.6 seconds) to the '63 Impala SS. I agree, it should have a 15 second (or less) quarter mile time.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I probably read all the articles about these big block cars back then....Motor Trend did articles, Car and Driver, even Mechanix illustrated..... A few current modifications would turn the old Impala 340 hp 409 into a screamer today. Get rid of the 2 speed auto and 3:36 rear end that this test car came with, also the skinny 14" nylon tires,(you could smoke them for blocks) carburator, and outdated ignition system.....ADD 4 speed standard close ratio with 4:11 rear end, 16" or 17" lightweight wheels and quality tires, fuel injection system and updated ignition system would shave at least 6/10 sec off 0-60 and over 1.0 sec off the quarter mile.....Even the current 201-203 Impalas could be made quicker by changing from the current 3:05 rear end to the Police Package 3:23 rear end gears....I am sure if you wanted this you could get it...The Police are offered this because they carry several hundred pounds of equipment in these cars. This enhances their acceleration from a dead stop.. Going to this 3:23 ratio would lower fuel economy a little but make your 0-60 and 1/4 mile times quicker........maybe 2/10-3/10 seconds off 0-60....A few slight modifications in the current Impalas could equal what these new 204 Impala SS supercharged cars will do....
    There are several Police packages.
    There is the 9C1 and there is also the 9C3 that has the 3.29 gear in it.
    The cars that are used for highway patrol work have the 3.05 gear. The around town cop cars(non pursuit) will usually have the 3.05.

There is a company that makes a 3.69 gear and also a limited slip differnetial(Quaife among others).

1999 Intrigues and 2000 and later cars with PCS have the 3.29 gear as well as the new Grand Prix GTP.

It does make a noticeble difference. .2-.3 seconds in the 0-60 according to Oldsmobile.
  • khpchankhpchan Member Posts: 2
    If you own a Chevrolet Impala which its production was before August 2001, you could be vulnerable to costly transmission repairs.

I am a 2000 Chevrolet Impala LS owner with 84000 km. I live in Canada. My whole transmission is broken (inside), and the torque converter is discolored (perhaps because of metal contamination) and swollen. Everything is either damaged or burnt inside. I have to pay thousands of dollars to replace a new one.

During the process, I have found a valuable document published by GM Fleet that they have already acknowledged that there may be a design defect in all Impala's 4T65-E transmissions production prior August 2001. Most importantly, they are fixing it under warranty repair for their fleet customers. Perhaps I am not a fleet customer or whatsoever, I have to pay my own repair costs and have had the worst dealer experience you could have imagined.

So what I am trying to do here is to recommend all Impala owners to do the following: Check if there's metal contamination in the automatic transmission fluid. If the automatic transmission fluid is black, there's sign of metal contamination inside your transmission. You could check that by using the dipstick, or even ask a technician to open the fluid tank (or whatever that calls which hold the transmission fluid). If you find the color is black, you could contact me by e-mail. [email protected]

If you don't do it immediately, you could feel sorry for yourself and perhaps you family. It is because the transmission could break down completely without any hints when you are driving 60 mph (100 km/hr) and your family is abroad. The best case scenario is that you pay only thousands of dollars to replace a new one. I am very serious, and I urge you to act immediately because it is about your safety, your money and most importantly the safety of those who you love.

My name is Mr. Chan. My e-mail address is [email protected].
    The link of the document is:
    http://www.nafa.org/Content/NavigationMenu/Education_and_Events1/- Education_and_Events2/Law_Enforcement_Group_Conference/Manufactur- er_Presentations/GMLEG.ppt
    Well, I guess thanks for the heads up. My '01 Impala LS (April 2001 build date) has been flawless up to this point (Well I had my upper thermoplastic manifold replaced back in December)but as far as the transmission goes, I haven't had any problems....it is smooth as silk. I will however check the transmission oil dispstick to see if I detect anything unsual. I am in the process of selling the car now (It has 21K miles)so it is very unlikely I'll get the dealer to do a transmission flush and filter replacement, which I had plan on doing by the time the car had reached 25K miles, if I had decided to keep it for long.

I am not sure if this is a frequent problem as several GM full size front wheel drive sedans currently use the 4T65-E 4-speed slushbox. These include the Buicl Lesabre, Regal, Century, park Avenue, Pontiac Grand Prix, Bonneville, Oldsmobile Intrigue, Chevy Impala, Montecarlo.

Anyway, the heads up is appreciated.
    Today I checked the transmission's oil dispistick and everything looks perfect. The oil quality is clear as a whistle (Normal Cherry color) and the level is also perfect. I checked the oil with a hot engine, car in park (idling) on a level surface per instructions.

No problems whatsoever in my end with the transmission in my '01 Impala LS with 21K miles.
    and the same here on my 00 LS with 123,000 miles!
  • ratoxratox Member Posts: 12
    I just spotted my first Impala LSX at the local dealer. It has a SLP (the folks who did the Camaro SS) conversion sticker on the window. New grille, chrome wheels, SS-like Impala script on the side, except it says LSX. Totally different rear spoiler and rear panel. Body colored center section with small holes for the lights and the outer portion of the tail lights remain exposed. Looks better than the Sport treatment, IMO. The mesh grille looks great. I think it was around $2500 extra. Too much for just cosmetics. It was a base car with the 3.4L engine.

It needs the Stage 1, 2, or 3 packages.

http://www.slpeng.com/vehicles/impala/index.shtml

There was a Monte Carlo LSX, also. It seems that SLP must be distributing these to dealers.
    Why buy an LSX when you can get an '04 Impala SS (or Monte Carlo SS supercharged) with the 240 horsepower engine (15 more than the Stage 3) for probably the same, or a little more $$?
  • 3871338713 Member Posts: 26
    Do you guys remember the LS1 V8 Impala prototype a couple years ago? Do you believe that engineering difficulties killed this idea, or do you think the Pontiac guys would have a fit if Chevy made a V8 Impala? I can't imagine any difficulties whatsoever in putting at least the series III supercharged engine in this car.
    Transaxlle couldn't handle the torque.
    ...nor could many of the current customers! :)

Teasing, I think...
    What about the series III?
    Big difference between 280 ft lbs and 340 ft lbs.
    260 hp vs. 305hp+.

4T80E trans would probably fit but weighs 75 lbs more.
    LSD is not offered with either trans.

Cadillac would look unkindly towards a Chevy having more power than the deville and STS.

FWD is not the best place to put a small block Chevy. Too much torque steer, too little traction.

LS1 has higher revs than 3800. This is also hard on a transmission.
    What I am trying to ask now is why the Impala SS has the series 2 supercharged engine as opposed to the series 3 supercharged engine. It seems to me there would be little difficulty in putting the series 3 engine in the Impala. I think that if the GTO is going to use the Corvette engine, the Impala SS should get to have the series 3 engine insted of being stuck with '97-'03 Grand Prix leftovers.
    Same problem. Instead of Cadillac being upset, insert the word "Pontiac."
    Exactly what I thought. I'm not in marketing or anything, but it seems like a flawed strategy to me.
    Pontiac also had something to say about not allowing the Series III for the '04 Buick Regal GS.

Here are pics of a great looking '63 Impala SS. It has the immortal 409-425 horsepower engine:

http://selectmotors.net/1963-impala-ss-409.htm
    Might get CTS's engine in '05.
  • free_bsdfree_bsd Member Posts: 9
    Hello everyone, I know this topic has been covered, but it seemed to have been dominated by the people that have the 3.8L Impala. I was just wondering of the people that have the 3.4L engine, how many had to deal with the Intake Manifold Problem? Has anyone with a 3.4L say for 100% sure that have not had the problem?

I took my car (purchased used earlier this year - 2000 Impala (69,100k) w/ used Optimum warranty) to the dealer the other day as I saw the coolant slowly disappearing out of the overflow bottle. The dealer called back and said they my overflow bottle is full and that they pressure tested it to if it was leaking, and they say it is not.

I told him that coolant just doesn’t walk away and come back when car is at the dealer. He promised to check it again tomorrow morning. I’m wondering if he’s trying to pass the buck until my warranty is up (900k to go) so that I have to paid to get it fixed.

So, after that “discussion” with the dealer and reading the power point link provided by Mr. Chan, I’m wondering if I should cut my losses and get rid of this car ASAP. I found this site about a week after I purchased the car, and I’ve been worried sick I’m made the wrong choice in cars ever since. I was hoping to keep this car for a very long time, but with problems with this car (cradle, ISS, seat, intake, ?Transmission?), and the dealership lying though its teeth, I don’t think that will be possible. Makes me wonder how GM is still in business.

PS – Yes, I’ve seen B gillie’s death cool site, and gm-v6lemons.com.
    Well, a family member owns a 2001 Impala base 3.4L sedan and in close to 2 years of ownership she has not had any problems with her car at all. It has been extremely reliable and the car does take a beating day in and day out. No rattles, no squeaks, no leaks, no transmission problems, nothing, nada, zilch, zero.

I have a 2001 Impala LS with 21K miles (Currently have it up for sale) and the car is an absolute cream puff inside and out. Aside from a replaced upper plastic manifold over 6 months ago, I haven't had any other issues with the car. Transmission oil is crystal clear, fresh engine oil and filter, new coolant (Flushed and replaced when they worked on the manifold)smooth and solid car all around.

I am not saying that problems with Impalas don't exist but at least the 2001 and on model year cars seem to be the best of the bunch.

If you really like the car, maybe you should consider trading to a newer model year or even a new one.

All cars have problems, no matter who makes them (I have owned a crop of American, Japanese and European cars). Unfortunately, the internet message boards tend to triple amplify the real scope of issues. Read in between the lines and judge by yourself.

Also, I have received excellent service from my selling Chevy dealer, so the positive experience has enhance the ownership of these cars over the last few years.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    Has anyone attempted or successfully installed the arc-type headlights in the Impala? I think they produce much more light. Are there any kits available to install this as an add-on?

khpchan - thanks for the heads up on the transmission. I am going to check my fluid now. My 2001 just clicked over 25,000 miles, I really couldn't afford to have transmission problems now, especially after the $ 2900 transmission job we had done on our '95 Olds Aurora.

Frank