Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    I hate to sound like a broken record, but with more than 131,000 miles on my Impala LS, I have yet to have the first unexpected brake maintenance. MANY rotor problems are caused by tire places overtightening lug nuts. My place doesn't. And I have YET to have premature rotor problems. My first rotors (the factory ones) lasted over 110.000 miles.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Impala #4 in July. #7 YTD.
    close to Taurus in sales.
    51,000 more Imps sold in 2003 than in 2002.
    39% are sold to fleets.
  • pbuono1pbuono1 Member Posts: 4
    They replaced the tires because the machine they use to see how the tire mates with the rim and road said it had too much drag?? I really think they changed them just to make an effort at fixing the problem.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    I have written two previous posts here on the new 04 Impala SS....I indicated I wasn't impressed with this car. I still stand by that and if others feel the same way, if they have a little patience I believe the next generation Impala scheduled for 2006 will be a much more improved Impala then our current models even though I am extremely happy with my 01 LS. Because of the popularity of the current Impala and its name for sure the next replacement will also be called Impala. For sure there will be a new generation Impala SS which I believe will distinguish itself a lot more from the 2006 base or LS models. Not sure if it will be rear or front wheel drive but will be sportier, more powerful, better built then our current Impalas......the 2006 model year is less then 24 months away....for those that can wait, I believe the wait will be worth it!!
    ...and for some of us who can't wait, Mazda6 will fill the gap until then. At least for me. Cookie, who used to post here, also bought a Mazda6 to replace her Impala. I might have bought another Impala, had not Mr. Lutz decontented the new ones such that my 2000 with 130,000 miles on it seems preferable to a 2004 to me.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    For $17.5K (factory order) I don't see how you can fault this vehicle on content. The all-speed traction control, four wheel discs, and 3.8 engine are awesome.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Is it possible to put wider tires on the 03' LS, without changing rims? I'd like to get a bit more rubber on the pavement, on the existing OEM rims.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    What's available to provide whiter/brighter headlamps (low-beam, high-beam, fog lights)?
    47,000 miles on the Impala.
    Humming noise in the front end.
    Diagnosis is a bad wheel bearing.
    Whole assembly replaced.
    $556.00!!!!!
    Not happy.
    I assume you went to the dealer for this......I would have got three estimates....I am sure it would have been cheaper at least the labour costs somewhere else.
  • teenintyteeninty Member Posts: 9
    i've both looked one over and driven one. i'm not that impressed with the car. i own a 2001 impala ls and to be honest i feel it a letdown the horsepower is there a little more and handling is a wee bit better but not for a couple of thousand more. mybe if they would have went ahead and put the 260hp v6 pontiac got it would have been better but no chevorlet had sone stage 2 supercharged engines left over from the pontiac line they decided to stick us with well guys i'm not falling for this trick gm enginers must really think chevorlet owners are stupid if they believe the impala ss is that good. come on guys give us some real numbers. something we can put up against some of these 4 door imports and smoke um good
    $420 for assembly. 1.5 hr labor.
    Drove in the dealership at 10:45. Took the service manger for a ride. It was on the lift at 11 AM. I was driving home at 12pm.
    Excellent service.

Looks like my rotors were not warped after all.
    It was the front hub moving around when I braked.
    Not only is the power of Impala SS not competetive with the Pontiac it will get smoked by a 3.5 Altima, and Maxima and many other cars in its class, if power is the motivation for selling this car. The improvements to the SS over the LS is strictly small cosmetics.....17" wheels (you can put your own on your LS)..monte carlo spoiler & dashboard...as stated in a previous post, I believe when the 2006 upgraded Impala comes out in less then 24 months the 2006 SS will be distinguished much more then the current SS offered now, you just don't go the GM parts bin and add on parts and call it an SS, as they have done with this current SS....rumours are that a V8 will be offered in 06',hopefully more interior and exterior colors will be offered as well, and make the SS more aggressive looking to ditinguish from an LS.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Had both of mine replaced two weeks ago at about 85,000km. The right side was "humming" badly when turning right at any speed over 80km/h (50mph). They diagnosed both as making "funny noises". The entire procedure was covered under my extended warranty. That warranty has paid for itself between the wheel bearings and the headlight switch (which took 3+ hours to diagnose!).

Still LOVE my Impala (but I wouldn't get one without a good extended warranty!). Looking forward to seeing what the '06 SS will look like.
    Brad
    This wheel bearing thing is ridiculous.
    Hoping I can get reimbursed for it.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I would certainly push hard for some kind of reimbursement from GM. It's nuts for these to fail so early in the car's life. If you follow the usual chain of command up through your dealer then to GM Customer Assistance (always being unfailingly polite but firm in your insistance for reimbursement) I'm sure you'll get some movement from GM.

Good luck!
    Brad
  • gmallthewaygmalltheway Member Posts: 77
    the local chevy dealership i buy my cars from has two black SS impalas, just out of curiosity does it come in any colors?
    Nope.

Just like Henry Ford who said one could have a Model T in any colour one wanted, so long as it was black.

Ironically, it was Chevrolet, with its many choices, that ended the Model T's reign.
  • jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    Has anyone test driven the new SS? I have called dealerships in the Northwest Chicagoland area, but none have been delivered yet. They all said they have at least two on order, but Chevy's Oshawa plant is behind schedule. They said the Monte Carlo SS (with the S/C engine) is also behind schedule. The two models were supposed to be available for sale on September 1st.
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Impala 2000 LS No bad symptoms but after having a problem with our 2000 Venture brakes decided to check. At 34,000 miles and 3 and 1/2 years of use in the northeast rust belt....the passenger side inner pad fell onto the garage floor when I pulled the caliper off. Rusted off the backer plate.

Bought new premium pads and rotors at NAPA store....new rotors are made in China.

The Venture had 40,600 miles on it and the brakes were very soft and not stopping good. They were rusted worse than the Impala. I wonder how many unsuspecting owners have brakes in similiar condition and don't know it....I doubt if our New York State inspection system would catch it because outter pad looked great on both vehicles. The inner which is much harder to see doesn't have the wear tab on it to show or for you to hear it's time to replace them is the one that wears out first...some things never change....saw it on our ''73 Impala wagon many years ago. Just to get the word out for safety.
  • gasolinegasoline Member Posts: 25
    My 01 base impala with 3.8L engine hasn't been very reliable. It needs to get the ISS lubed(steering clunking), had the intake manifold leak, front end creaks during acceleration. This with only 15K miles. With all the problems I wish I hadn't made this purchase. You would think with old tech designs like the 3.8L and a proven platform that dates back a long number of years that problems wouldn't exist. But not with GM. Besides John Cline's impala how are the rest of the impala's holding up?
    I am now up to 135,000 miles but DID have to have an ignition switch last week. Strangely, the symptom was it was lighting the ABS light! Also, the driver's door power window switch failed.

Still pretty amazing reliability, if you ask me.
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    You have an '01 with only 15K miles? Man! You need to get that car broken in! ;-)

My '01 LS is over 65K. I'm adding another 400+ miles on a trip tomorrow and I have a trip to New Orleans and back this weekend that will add 750 or so miles. I have had the intake manifold replaced under warranty and did the recall thing with the new retainers and sealant. My regular commute is 55 miles one way. It goes every morning. Still no leaks, no rattles, no problems. I'm running Mobil 1 synthetic oil on a 4,000 mile change interval. Because we are forced to use reformulated gas here, I use BG44K or Techron fuel additives on the oil change interval to keep deposits off the valves. I do change the Dexcool every 2 years or 24,000 miles not the 5 years GM touts. Otherwise I follow prescribed fluid and filter change intervals very closely. I have the front wheel bearings repacked annually just in case moisture gets in when I drive through water after one of those thundershowers we get here. My Imp is terrific and so far, rock solid.
    I have had more problems than you.
    My last repair was right side front wheel bearings. $556.00!!
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Hi All,

Been a long time since I've visited or posted to the forum.

Just a quick update on my 2000 LS.

85,000 kms and most recently I've had replaced

1)alternator
    2)currently in shop because some power steering hose blew and that is on order from calgary for the part.

I also got all four brake (pads) changed and a tranny fluid change.

Even though I liked the Impala and chose it over the Honda Accord, I now know that was a mistake. Having gotten married this summer, my wife has 2002 Accord SE and I can honestly say (not being a Accord fan before), the Accord is by and far the staple of the American/Canadian Family Car. The fit/finish is uncomparable to the Impala and the service at the Dealership superb compared to any GM dealer I've ever been to. Look at the lineups at teh GM dealerships compared to Honda or any other Import Dealership, that says it all.

After this winter we will be trading in the Impala for either another Honda or Toyota.

Take care Folks!
    You may have a point but why are so many Honda owners buying extended warranties? I have never had an extended warranty on a GM car and never needed one. As far as fit and finish my 03LS has no apparent defects and has not needed any repairs yet. I have replaced one GM alternator in 25 yrs. PS: My neighbor said the Honda dealer wanted to charge her $250 for a PCV replacement!
  • larryfllarryfl Member Posts: 214
    I can't let this one go by.

I won't argue the fit/finish difference in the cars, Hondas have always been known for that. But I agree with Pluto5, we've had zero problems with ours.

However, you are comparing a first-production-year, 3 year old car with somewhat higher than averarge miles that has only had an alternator and a hose go bad - other than standard maintenance (brakes, fluid changes) to a nearly new car that has been refined for - what - 15+ years?

Our 2002 LS has been flawless in 18,000 miles, if you want to compare similar years and miles (although I'll agree the GM dealer didn't win any awards from us when we did take it in the one time for it's 7500 mile service).

I can tell you from my past experience with japanesse cars that @ 3-4years and 60+K miles, things start to break on them, too.

Having said that, I can apreciate personal preferences and have no problem with someone liking a Honda over a GM car - I happen to like GM the best (I know that's a shock).

If the Honda better suits, then Go For It and Good Luck!
  • garywgaryw Member Posts: 116
    My response to the Honda/Toyota/GM comparisons is always the same. Honda/Toyota make wonderful cars, heck - we just bought an '03 Odyssey, but they are boring.

When it comes to soul and expression the GM and the Big 3 win. For some of us there is nothing like the burble of the GM exhaust. Even the Mustang or Dodge RT series of cars have that "feeling".

Accords/Camrys/Maxima et al just don't fit the bill. Just my 2-cents plus inflation :--)
    I put a new alternator in my Camaro every 2 years and a new radiator in every 3 years like clockwork.
    So much so, that i can predict when they will go bad.
    My sister has never put one in either of her Hondas. One of which as 156,000 miles.

GM trannies are better though, and they also have thicker sheetmetal too.
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Hi Folks,

Sorry, didn't know I would stir up so much passion!

Don't get me wrong, I have really liked the Impala, heck thats why I bought it! I like the raw power but now I know what they mean when they say the Imports have "refined" V6's compared to the americans...you really can't compare the tech.
     But I've had nothing but problems with it since day 1 which were covered under warranty repairs, including:

1) went back 3x to get keyless remote fixed
    2) window power controls fried out so they had to get a new system installed
    3) new Traction control system
    4) new blower motor for heating interior
    5) Air bag module changed twice under warranty, and guess what, light comes on and off still
    6) air bag housing on driver seat kept coming out, finally after swearing at dealer they fixed it ( hey how many times does it take?)
    7) Door jamb was out of alignment
    8) Poor driveability on occasion which as never cured or diagnosed

and on...and on...and on...

I have a huge stack of service orders from GM...quite ridiculous and time consuming...

Guess it comes down to not wanting to waste my time at the dealership waiting.

As for the hose yesterday, the mechanic which I've known for along time said it was due to poor design and placement of the Power Steering cooling line... shrugs, I'm not engineer, just take it as I get it.

As for the alternator, he could not believe it went after such a short amount of time, *Just right after the warranty* and even tried to convince me to harrass GM to cough up the bucks, but I said no thanx, I don't really want to deal with the service department, I've been to sooo many gm service depts I have found one thing, they all don't know what they are doing.
    Have you had:
    warped rotors
    migrating door trim
    right rear power window go out
    crank shaft sensor causing rough start, non start
  • sdasda Member Posts: 6,938
    I raise my hand. Me too, me too! I've had the identical issues with my w-body ('00 Intrigue)along with the ISS issue,ignition switch replaced, battery replaced twice and the dash pad replaced. I guess there is more in common with these cars than I thought! Though not perfect, I would buy mine again. Oh, I forgot, no more Intrigues, they're history. :(

2018 VW Passat SE w/tech, 2016 Audi Q5 Premium Plus w/tech, 2006 Acura TL w/nav

I came back from the dealer for my 01 impala and the noise I am experiencing is not from the cradle. The tech said it needs new control arm bushings and I will have to wait a week until they have the parts in stock.
    I can't remember if any of you guys have had this replaced before?? I think b4z might have had this done.
    Also, I got the ISS lubed and the steering feels much tighter and smoother.
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    Could have been worse.

www.muyfa.com/spider/impalastorm.jpg

Yes thats mine.
    Ouch!

I'm sorry! Glad no one was hurt (assuming that was the case)
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    Lancaster, PA. No one was hurt, just my pride :)
    Uuuuugh!

Same color as mine.

Give us an update after the adjuster comes by.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    the lower arms were replaced on our 2k LS at 7,000 miles or so. This was the begining of the engine cradle noises with our car.

The tech thought it was the lower arms causing the noise, he was incorrect.

Most of the long time folks here know the story of the engine cradle issues with the current Impala
    What do you mean by "the beginning of the engine cradle noise"? Did the change of the lower control arm make the noise worst or the same?
    I am quite suspicious that a lower control arm bushing has gone bad so early. I did some internet research and the lifespan of something like this is 5-7 years unless the part was defective from the factory.
    We bought our 2k Impala in sept of 1999. The popping noise started around 7k miles. The tech at the dealer thought it was the lower A arms.

After replacement of the lower A arms the car started popping again the next morning. Back to the dealer the car went 2 days later

This was very early in the discovery process that some impala's had a problem with the engine cradle to body mounts.

Our impala was never fully corrected. GM paid ALL costs to replace the OEM engine cradle at 43k miles on the car with the latest design cradle. A full 7k miles beyond the OE warranty.

The cradle popping noise returned at 46.5k miles. Before the car turned 47k miles it was traded off (Nov 2001) for a Ford F-150 Super Crew truck. We still have the Ford.

We actually still miss the Impala, but would not buy another till there is a serious redesign.
    And I bought my Impala LS in October 99.

135,000 miles.

No front end issues of any type.

You cannot judge a car by a single example. Not yours, not mine. But each of us is free to buy whatever we choose!
  • Kirstie_HKirstie_H Administrator Posts: 11,147
    At least it sounds as though GM treated you right, and that's impressive. Even with the most reliable of vehicles, there's the occasional one that has a fault, sadly. But personally, I would take into account the customer service you received.

kirstie_h
    Roving Host & Future Vehicles Host

MODERATOR /ADMINISTRATOR
    Need help navigating? kirstie_h@edmunds.com - or send a private message by clicking on my name.
    Share your vehicle reviews

• disaptd7disaptd7 Member Posts: 8
    Hello to all. I wanted to get in on the popping noise discussion. I have an 03 Impala base and it has been disappointing. Purchased new in Jan 03.
    At 11,700 the left front wheel bearing went out,and the right side transaxle shaft seal leaked. Thought it was fixed, but still seeing tranny fluid in the driveway. Took it back and the shaft itself was cracked. Replaced.
    At 22K warped rotars. Machined. Now at 23K I have the popping noise from the engine cradle. The dealership has lubed the intermediate shaft, and still have the popping but the steering is much better. The dealership has ordered a cradle lube kit and once that arrives they keep the car for 2 days while it "sets". Also, the interior pops and rattles, not to mention the gas mileage is no where near the 32 hwy MPG posted on the sticker. Any suggestions??
    Having driven both the 03 base and LS I concluded that they are really two different vehicles. I would buy the base for a fleet/taxi vehicle but the LS for a personal vehicle.
    You shouldn't be having cradle issues since your car has the newer cradles with the reinforced welds. Would you describe the noise more so as popping or creaking. The sound I hear is more like a creaking door but that is only heard during acceleration from a stop in drive or reverse. When do you hear the sound?

Pluto5 you can buy a base model with the 3.8L engine and have all the necessary goodies like traction control, ABS, sport suspension, aluminum wheels without spending the extra $1500. I didn't need the fog lamps, tach, spoiler and floor shifter the LS has.
    I would describe it as a clanking / popping noise. Metal on metal. It occurs when you turn left or right. I do not hear it during acceleration. You can occasionally hear it at slow speed over a bump, say a speed bump at the mall. I'm concerned because of all the problems I've already had with the front end and beginning to wonder if they are all related. I can deal with the rattles in the interior, but taking it back to the dealer time after time for things that shouldn't go wrong is getting old. Quick!!
  • gregp5gregp5 Member Posts: 51
    Hi Guys,
    Currently own as a family car a '97 Lumina which I gotta say has been almost bulletproof, so thinking of a replacement I naturally thought Impala. Now after reading all these posts I'm not so sure. I am looking at a leftover '03LS.
    Do you feel all the bugs are worked out? Like engine cradle,iss,leaking manifolds and other groans.
    Would you buy again ?
    If so, I can buy a leftover that stickers for 26,000. for 20,400.
    Is this a good deal given it's the end of September ?
    I know it's a lot of questions, but I'm sure I came to the right place.

Thanks,
    Greg
    A friend of mine has an 02 LS 40K mileage and she loves it. No problems whatsoever. I purchased mine (03 base with traction control and ABS), because a co-worker had an 01 base, and was rear-ended by a semi on I-75 and walked away. Even drove the car home. He also had no problems with it either. Car had close to 30K on it when it was crushed. Based on that info, I thought it was a good vehicle for what I was doing as a field rep for an insurance company. Unfortunately, for me it's not working out that way. My impression is that the Impala is basically a good car. I think I got a bad apple.
    I have both the 97 Lumina base and the 03 Imp LS. I enjoy driving both and definitely recommend the 03 LS. Both models had been in production several years before I purchased them and I definitely think any bugs have been worked out. The only thing I've replaced on the Lumina is fluids and an alternator. Nothing but oil changes on the Impala which are easy to do yourself.
    I certainly do not fault GM or Chapman Chev in Tempe AZ for the treatment we recieved on our impala repairs.

Our imapla was at the border line for the AZ lemon law. I could have pushed the issue with a lawyer, but i choose not to.

As a mechanic/shop owner for decades I looked under the impala when new, I told my wife of 30 years,: "if we have trouble it most likely will be the aluminum sub frame"

On the funny side about this time of year we recieve computer generated letters asking us if we are interested in replacing the Impala from Chapman Chev. We traded the car off in nov 2001

The following week we bought our Impala we also bought a new 2000 Silverado 1500. Zero trouble with the truck....still own it. Heck it is paid for!