Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Hi guys; been awhile since I posted anything here (I was a regular poster early on, and ended up being one of the lucky folks quoted in the 2001 Impala brochure who were found through this forum).

Anyway, I'm still driving my 2000 3.8l base; have just under 64k miles on it now. Just got reimbursed for the warped manifold issue, and have been through the ISS, warped rotors, etc. But still love the car, and much prefer driving it to my wife's 2003 Honda Accord 4-cylinder EX.

Yesterday I had to go into work, and when I came out, there was an inch or two of snow on the streets. I meandered home, but had to traverse a couple of hilly areas (including a long steep decline down my street to the house). Traction control (and ABS) kicked in several times, with traction control active almost continuously up one particularly steep section (I enjoyed casually driving past a couple of folks who were stranded while driving up the hill!!).

However, once I got to my driveway (which is sort of half-bell curve shaped), traction control was no help. I tried several times, but could not get up the drive. I managed to get the car out of the street, but had to leave it at the end of the driveway until the snow melted this afternoon. I had to go to back to work, and when I did, noticed I seemed to have no power steering assist when turning at low speeds when coasting. If I gave the car a little gas in a turn, I'd suddenly get power assist (but accelerating into a turn isn't very intuititive, or safe). Car seemed to drive fine otherwise, so there wasn't a sense that I might have bent something in trying to get up my driveway. Got home, then had to make another trip, and the problem persisted...then all at once, I made a turn that was especially sharp, and I manhandled the wheel to get the car into position, and suddenly the problem went away. I purposefully drove the car home the long way on a curvy street, and it was as if nothing had ever happened.

Anyone else had a problem like this, and does it magically go away, or will it come back from time to time until the power steering goes out completely? I was able to deal with it, but I doubt my 5'3" wife could have steered the car without the power assist...if it's a tell-tale sign of a fixable problem, I'd rather deal with it now than have it hit when she's driving it sometime.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Good to hear from you again.

Traction control is a godsend.
    Mine has gotten me out of a couple of situations
    one in snow and the other in a muddy field.

Don't know how to help you with the power steering. it was a major problem on the Intrigue, but haven't heard of it being a problem on the Impala.

Have you had any contact with teo recently?
    This is the first problem I've had power steering-wise with the Impala; since it immediately followed my fairly extensive snow/traction control event, I'm hoping it might have been a one-time thing associated with that workout, and not an on-going problem.

I read back through the posts here from sometime in October forward, and only found one listing of anyone reporting power steering problems (but they did say it was intermittent, and ended up being some type of internal gasket problem which was hard to diagnose originally). If it becomes a regular problem, I'll probably take it in and have the power steering pump replaced...I'd rather spend the money getting it fixed, than risk having my wife drive it and it go out, and lead to a bigger problem.

I haven't heard from teo or any of the other "original" Impala posters from here for some time. I think the last time I came around I met up with mcdill, but that was probably over 6 months ago.
  • larryfllarryfl Posts: 214
    My wife drives our '02 IMP LS and we've had no problems with the power steering either. However, I drive a '95 OLDs Aurora and had something kind of similar happen.

In my case, the power assist was intermittently going on and off (like throwing a switch). Of course, it only happened in corners and/or parking lots and it became very dangerous.

First, the obvious suspect - what I first thought - is that the steering pump pulley is seizing or the belt slipping. I took it in and the culprit was the steering rack was going bad and losing pressure under the load. My favorite independent shop charged me $900 for a new one installed.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Today, Feb 24, I've had my Impala LS for 3 years now. With 47,700 miles, this car is still drives like a dream. The transmission is so smooth and silky!
  • gregp5gregp5 Posts: 51
    I just had a recall done to my '97 Lumina re. power steering. I was not having any problems with it, but the recall said that upon hard left turns, I believe, the effect could be like no power steering at all.
    I also own a black '04 Impala Ls which I like a lot.
    FWIW I have the upgraded radio in it and I think it sounds great and it also has plenty of bass which if I remember correctly seems to have a lot of dissatisfaction in earlier years.
  • Hi all. I have been looking all over these message boards to find out how to relocate my factory head unit to the trunk and have came up with no directions, parts needed etc? I have ran across a few that Say impalahq has the plans but I didnt not see it under the How to section. Does anyone know what I would need to do this and where to get the parts from. A diagram would be nice if someone knows where there is one. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Also if anyone knows of a good aftermarket head unit that fits the impala that would be nice to.:} Thanks ahead of time guys!
  • tsjaytsjay Posts: 4,591
    A buddy of mine at work who is into stereo stuff uses Crutchfield a lot. They have SUPER customer support and will spend lots of time with ya on the phone discussing what you are trying to accomplish and the best way to do it.

Their stuff comes with complete instructions and all the adaptors and connectors you need.

Give 'em a try.

Tom
    Traded in the Impala today and got a Cadillac SRX.
    Wish me luck!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Congratulations and Good Luck! :)

Soon, my 00 LS will probably become an 05 Subaru Legacy 2.5 GT...
    You must be coming up on 200,000 miles by now.
    Will the Subaru see as many miles?
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    Actually, I am just getting to 150,000, believe it or not---My job has changed and I am no longer driving in it...Just my coastering hobby to put miles on the car!

And yes, the Subaru is intended to last me as many happy miles as has the Impala. We shall see.

250 hp/250 lbs torque. In the words of another company, Zoom Zoom! :)
    That must be the low pressure turbo with all the torque.
    0-60 in about 5.5 secs.
    Subaru is doing some neat things now.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
  • etcarrolletcarroll Posts: 87
    Good for you, sat in the SRX and really liked it, but can't see that much $ for a big wagon.

Guess I'm keeping my LS for 18 more months while I wait for next wave of cars that will be sporty yet offer room for someone my size.

I understand the new Caddy STS will be built on the SRX platform, guess I'm waiting to see.

Anyway, still can't find anything wrong with the LS, other than the fact I've owned it 2.5 years and want a new toy.
  • kolt1kolt1 Posts: 25
    Can anyone give me a link where I can find monthly and annual production numbers for the Impala and other domestic and foreign manufacturers? All of the sites I've tried require a subscription fee. Thanks in advance for any advice.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    What kind of mileage do you get on city and highway driving? I think it takes premium gas?

I'm due for a new car next year. I want to steer clear away on cars that require premium gasoline.

My top choice so far is the Pontiac Solstice, or the new redesign 05 Impala.
  • setzersetzer Posts: 127
    I recently got all of my windows on my '04 LS tinted. It looks REALLY nice! What I really like about the car is that it is comfortable and has nice features, but it isn't a Buick. I also love the looks of it!

Also, my friends have 3 toddlers. They are thinking about buying a Caddy SRX with a 3rd row so they can save some money by not buying a huge Escalade or Navigator and not get a mini-van.
    www.autonews.com.
    Scroll down and on the left you will see a link to a .pdf.
    I am at 16 mpg in only around town driving.
    I have seen 29-30 mpg come up on the driver display at 55-60 mph.
    The Impala would show 35-37mpg at that speed.
    But the DIC was off by 2.5 mpg.
    Impala was 29-30 mpg at 75 mph.
    I expect 25mpg at best on the SRX.
    So it will not pull the kind of gas mileage that my Impala did.
    The display maxes out at 70 mpg going down hills where the Impala maxed out at 99 mpg on the DIC.

Uses regular gas.

The SRX is a completley different driving experience.
    Feels like a sports sedan not a SUV.
    The V6 has all the power anybody could need.
    The 3rd row seat on the SRX is tiny tiny.
    Only useful for small children.
    Less tham 10 yrs old I would guess.
  • road46road46 Posts: 18
    Agree with you 100% on the need for dedicated winter tires on the 04 Impala. Up here we get alot of snow. I have 4 Michelin Arctic Alpines on my other car and they have been great. Getting 23-24 MPG all around combo city/highway with the the 04 Impala 3.4, with 1500 miles on the odometer. Anyone know about how many miles before I can expect a slight improvement in gas mileage when the "engine breaks in"? I found a big difference in mileage based on the brand of gas.
  • I have 8,200 miles on my '03 LS (3.8) and I get the best gas mileage using Shell regular gasoline. I am averaging 28 mpg in city/highway driving, with about 31 mpg on highways alone at 60 mph. I started to improve my mileage at about 3,500 miles. Good luck with your '04.

Neil
    Found here Hess gas alot cheaper and a little better mileage than Mobil gas. Shell stations all closed or moved out of here. My sticker said 21 mpg city and 31 hwy for my 3.4, You are getting pretty good mileage out of that 3.8.
    Anyone seen the latest issue of Consumer Reports? They grouped the Impala with the Lumina in the ratings from 96-03..I thought this was really unfair to Chevrolet since the Impala was redesigned in 2000. When did they stop making the Lumina? Why did Consumer Reports do this? They gave the Toyota Camry 6 cylinder a higher safety rating even though the Camry has a 3 star front end crash rating vs the Impala with a 5 star front end rating?? Just open the door to an Impala and see how well designed the Impala is for safety vs. the Camry. Only thing I could figure is that the Base Impala does not have ABS. Given a crash situation, I would think the Impala would
    hold up much better than the Camry.
  • hogboyhogboy Posts: 84
    Who knows how they figure any of this. I just dumped our 3 year old Impala LS for a '04 Honda Odyssey EX-L and the insurance premium actually went DOWN by $3.00 a year. My insurance company rated the Impala as a symbol 16 and the Honda as a symbol 8. I think I will refuse to pay the bill unless I can be charged more for the insurance (NOT). Lets see...get rid of a 3 year old vehicle for a brand new '04 that costs several thousand dollars more and pay less on your insurance. Is this a great country or what.
    FWIW, I bought a Haynes repair manual for my 2000 Impala, and it also includes the previous version Lumina. While the appearance of the Impala is much different from the old Lumina, apparently many of the parts beneath the sheetmetal are the same. I never paid much attention to the Lumina, so I don't know what engines/transmissions were offered with it, but there must be a great deal of carryover from the Lumina to the Impala for them to lump them into the same repair manual.
  • I had a '98 Lumina before getting my '00 Impala. Most of the major parts are the same. It's the "W" frame, same tranny and the Lumina LTS had the same Series II 3.8 liter engine that's in the Impala LS.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I also had a '98 Lumina before my '01 Impala LS. Underneath the sheet metal there are many many items that are identical. Even the wire colours for the speakers are identical.