Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    The mazda fog lamps DO look good, but they are not very functional. It is hard to tell when they are on on a dark and foggy night. I installed Hella fog lamps on my Trooper and they are much, much better at lightiing up the road. If you are intalling them for looks, the Mazda lamps will be fine. If you actually want them to be functional I would look for another type that provides better lighting when you really need it. The Hellas probably won't fit as tight in the cut outs, but I would take one out of a box at an auto parts store and test it before I would buy the factory lights. On my Trooper they didn't fit exactly in the cutouts since the lights were a little bigger, but they fit snuggly and look good. The lamps and installation cost about $120. That's my 2 cents worth.
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    If any of you have noticed "sluggish" shifting the first several minutes of your drive, I'm happy to report that the Mobile 1 synthetic appears to be helping. I had it installed using the "flush" system (took 14-15 quarts), at K-Mart/Penske for $125.00 (including tax), which I thought was a pretty good deal. I had other quotes all the way up to $180.00 plus tax. I have 19,000 miles on the car and was told that with the synthetic, I can probably go 30,000 between changes as the Mobil 1 will handle the Florida heat better than stock fluid.

Thanks to javadoc and cmuniz for the information about the fog lamps. I'll look at the Hellas just for the heck of it and try negotiating with the service manager at Mazda of Clearwater to see if I can get them down to a reasonable installation price.
  • twahlstromtwahlstrom Member Posts: 2
    I found this forum extremely helpful as we looked for a minivan. Now it's my turn to post...

My wife and I purchased a 2000 MPV on the day after Thanksgiving, 2000. We bought a white LX with the GFX package (inc. foglights), moonroof, LX2 interior (faux woodgrain, 16in alloy wheels, common options), 6CD changer/AM/FM stereo with 9 speaker/180W sound system, rear air, and some sundries that I can't remember. Total MSRP was $27,500.00 Dealer offered $5,500.00 to move them out the door, so we paid $22,000.00 plus TTL. (This was about $2,000.00 under invoice!) I was concerned about the "underpowered engine" but we drove all the vans, including the MPV and the Sienna back-to-back, and we liked the MPV more than the others.

Now with 9 months and 15,500 miles on the van, I think we made the right choice. It looks great inside and out. The angular features stand out, especially with the ground effects in place. The dash is well laid out and looks awesome. The stereo rocks. The AC is cold, and we need it here in Texas. It handled better than the others and we still love the drive, city and highway.

We've driven home to Michigan in the winter with a baby in a car seat and the back loaded to the cieling with stuff. It was comfortable, safe, and stable the whole way. The sliding second seat is great for moving close to the car seat/baby, but it easily slides away with adults in the van. The flip/fold 3rd seat works great for loading cargo or for storing cargo behind the seat in that generous space behind while the seat's in use. Also, it works great to change diapers! Just flip it backward as a tailgate seat with the hatch up - instant changing table.

As far as the engine is concerned, it is slower than the other V-6 minivans on the market. However, it's really not that noticeable unless you punch it at the green lights as it seems to lag most from 0-30 mph. Acceleration from 30 through 85 is more than adequate, but it is louder than the Toyota/Honda/Chrysler due to the higher revs. The engine does burn fuel as well because it runs about 3000 rpm at 70-72 mph. We've consistently run 20 miles per gallon. While running up north without the AC we got 22 mpg on the highway at 75 mph. Down here with the AC on all the time we get 20 mpg in mixed driving.

Overall, if you're in the market for a small to mid-size minivan, the price/performance punch of the MPV can't be beat. And from what I've seen this year, folks should still be able to write great deals on these vans at great loan rates. Zoom-Zoom!

P.S. Has anyone seen an engine performance chip for the MPV. I might consider trading some petrol for more ponies.
  • caseygirlcaseygirl Member Posts: 3
    I just love the fact that I can ask for guidance from all who read this site. I've gained a lot of knowledge, and now need help. I have posted a message in the mpv/problems message board, but thought I'd list with this one too.

I own a used MPV 2000 LX which I love (purchased 3/01), but I'm having the following problems:

the right passenger sliding door rattles about 70%; I've had it in twice, and the second time it was silenced for three whole days. Anyway, it's back in (the dealership is really trying to get to the bottom of this). They removed the sensors which connect when the door is closed, and the rattle was gone. Now they propose to remove the sensors from a new van and install it into mine.

The left sliding door window rattles when it's down some or half way down. A new regulator was ordered, installed, but the window still rattles (the dealership is perplex about this one too, and the van remains at the dealership). In addition to my van, there were two other MPVs(same model and newer) with the same window problems, but both windows rattle.

Lastly, on occasion when I start up the van after it's been the garage overnight, I feel hot air from the vents for approx. 3-4 seconds. Not a big deal, but I think in another year it'll increase. It is not humid nor really hot where I live (25 miles outside of San Francisco).

Can't wait to read your advice. As you can tell the van is at the dealership, (today is Labor Day 9/3) and the van will be worked on again on Tuesday 9/4. Any info I can enlighted the professionals with will be greatly appreciated!!!

Thank you all so much!
  • philw2philw2 Member Posts: 36
    Pick up 01 MPV ES today. Love the van, but have some whistling wind noise in the back going over about 50 mph. Anyone else have this? If you did, how was it fixed? Thanks in advance.
  • toyrotatoyrota Member Posts: 66
    Could someone who owns a 2001 DX help me out with a simple question? Does the second row captains chairs move in the fore-aft direction (like the LX), or just side to side? Thanks!
    Has anyone had any luck combining these two incentives on a deal on a 2001?
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    One of the differences between LX and Dx, as I recall, is that the middle row in the DX just goes sideways, not back and forth. I guess that's what LX owners pay the "big" bucks for. :)
    In any case it's easy to find out. Look for a slide release on the front of the middle row seats, as on the front seats. That should tell you in a hurry.

RJ
    Bought an MPV this weekend. They did offer $1000 rebate with 1.9% for 3 years. I chose 0% for 4 years, and could not get rebate. I did tell them invoice, and they accepted.
    billmckinley and philw2.

billmckinley, do you own a 2001 DX? Or an LX? I couldn't figure which from your above statement. I purchased a 2001 MPV DX from a dealer last Saturday. They did not have the vehicle on their lot, so it will be Thursday before I pick it up. I optioned it as follows:

Rear AC
    Power Package
    Rear Seat Ent Sys
    Tinted glass in rear

The dealer is going to have to send the car out to install the RSES and tinted glass. Does anyone have any experience with this "film" type glass tinting? I figure it will not be as good as the factory stuff?

Here's my deal: Invoice price on vehicle and invoice on options; plus 2% "profit"; MINUS $1000 cash back and 1.9 % financing. Does that seem OK? I think I may be somewhat disappointed that the middle row seats do not slide fore-aft like the LX does :-(
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    your price including the financing seems Ok. Aftermarket tint generally is not as good as factory. Some aftermarket brands of tint fade, discolor and peel after a while. You also have to be careful with the type of window cleaner you use. Why didn't you consider an LX to begin with? There are NO abs brakes on your DX. The LX has ABS, keyless entry, body color door handles( instead of black) and a cassette(2001 model), nicer cloth seats and of course Factory tint.

By the time you pay for the tint and power pkg. you may be close to the price of a basic LX, IMHO.

Pjd58
    The dealer said that there were no rainforest mica green LXs available in the area. And, I didn't really want the keyless entry and painted door handles. So, optioning up the DX seemed like a better idea. However, I am now finding little things (and some not so little) that do not come on the DX, such as the moving middle row seats and hard plastic seat backs (third row tables). I feel that I was lied to in order for the dealer to get the sale during the labor day weekend. They are supposed to be adding the RSES and window tint now, so that I can look it over (and possibly take delivery of) tomorrow.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I've seen some really bad tint jobs on automobiles and wondered if that was a home job or not.
    I have been using one place in Houston (Xtreme Tinting) for the last 11 years with no problem - lifetime warranty - and never had a problem with peeling, etc., and the price is reasonable. I have no idea if they are located anywhere else tho.
    First off, congratulations on your purchase and Happy Miles! I think you're going to like your van, especially its user-friendly interior and its almost sportscar-like handling.

I got mine, the MPV President McKinley, in February. I've put about 6500 miles on it so far, and aside from a really cranky, quirky transmission, I love it to death.
    And by the way, it's an LX. And your deal sounds like a very good one to me. Better than I got, and I did better than I ever had before.

RJ
    (Let me preface this by apologizing for this appearing like a poll):

For those of you that have the Rear Seat Entertainment System,

1) Can you play the audio from the VCP thru the cars stereo?

2) What did you get with your RSES? TV Tuner? Antenna? Headphones? Game interface?

3) Is your RSES factory installed, and if not, what brand is it? Rosen? Audiovox?

Thanks!
    I just bought a 01 Mazda Protege LX 2.0. What a nice solid car. I got a great deal plus free alloys and moonroof and 0% for 48 months. Now we have 2 new Mazdas(Wife's 01 MPV LX bought in April).
    Nice going,pjd58, and Happy Miles in the Protege. Heck of a nice deal, too. Now you can stop fighting over the MPV [required content].

:->

RJ
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    ...start calling him "Mazda Pete" (see if y'all follow my desert-dry humor on that one :-P )

/J
    I think I got that one Java. Ah So:) Hey the Protege is a blast to drive, the 2.0 at 130 horses really gets ya there. Love my color, Millennium Red Mica, kind of a candy apple red. Wife still loves her Sand Mica MPV, required content.
    (Let me preface this by apologizing for this appearing like a poll):

For those of you that have the Rear Seat Entertainment System,

1) Can you play the audio from the VCP thru the cars stereo? Yes. You need an FM modulator.

2) What did you get with your RSES? TV Tuner? Antenna? Headphones? Game interface? DVD only.

3) Is your RSES factory installed, and if not, what brand is it? Rosen? Audiovox Mine is called Farenheit, bought it this weekend at Fry's. The cost, installed, was $550.

I bought ES MPV last weekend. Had the VCP installed yesterday.
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    PJ,

Why did you choose the protege over the protege5. I am seriously considering a protege5. I love the look of that little wagon. Looks like a mini-MPV (<<<-----required content) to me. Plus the kids would love it as much as the MPV. (<<<-----required content).
    Fahrenheit, huh? And it is a dvd player? What size screen is it? Sounds like an EXCELLENT deal! Does it use a FM modulator to pipe the sound thru the stereo?
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    1) "Can you play the audio from the VCP thru the cars stereo?"

Yes, by using an FM modulator. On mine, you set FM dial to 88.7.

2) "What did you get with your RSES? TV Tuner? Antenna? Headphones? Game interface?"

I got TV tuner, antenna (hidden within roof liner), 2 sets wireless headphones & accessory interface (allows hookup for Nintendo, video camera, etc.).

3) "Is your RSES factory installed, and if not, what brand is it? Rosen? Audiovox?"

Mine is Rosen brand. I purposely did NOT want factory installed sys as I didn't like location of VCP (underneath 3rd row seat). My dealer (they arranged install of sys through local trim shop that specializes in Rosen systems) was willing to give me all of above options for invoice price of factory installed base system (which does not incl. TV tuner, antenna or interface module). Those items are considered "extras". The base RSES (which is Rosen) only includes ceiling mounted screen & VCP. Incidentally, my VCP is mounted under pass fr seat.
    WARNING!!! Do not buy from these guys. They tried to sell me an MPV, claimed it was new, but when I went to pick it up (yesterday), it had 400 miles on it! Plus, there were three burn marks in the drivers seat, AND the Rear Entertainment System was an Audiovox! I'm not knocking AudioVox, but they told me that they were going to install a "factory" VCP. I am now waiting for them to refund my deposit (a significant amount), and they are lying to me, saying that the check has not cleared my bank yet (even though I know it did 2 days ago). Consider yourselves warned! I wish I had known how this dealership treats customers before I shopped there.
    I love the P5, it's just not in my budget. The P5 is about 4 grand more and no incentives. I got my Pro LX 2.0 with 0% financing. BTW, it does look like a mini MPV( required blah, blah:). I really like the bright yellow P5.
    sorry to hear about your bad experience. I hope you can find another Mazda dealership that will treat you well. You may want to inquire on the Protege board for a good dealer in your area. I know there are quite of few Protege owners that live in your area.

I just purchased a Mazda and had a great experience with a dealer in Cincinnati. I put a $500 dollar deposit down on my car, since they had to get it from another dealer in KY. I used my credit card in case of a problem. Never, never write a check for deposit.

I hope you get your money back soon.
    Toyrota: Sorry to hear about those crooks in Fairfax. Keep at them and you should come out okay. I'm sure you'll find the van you want at another dealership. You might use Edmund's car shopper system, as I've heard folks speak very highly of it.

PJ and Msg: I too really like the P5! That's one sharp car, I tell ya. I'd prolly consider one if I were in the mkt for a small wagon. Kind of a "Mini-Me" MPV, eh?

/J
  • speevnspeevn Member Posts: 2
    I am very sorry to hear that. We just bought a ES from Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington and had a pretty good interaction with the dealership.* We had done much research, thanks to those on this board and test drove everything. Also, when it came time to choose a dealer we did some looking over at

www.bbb.com where you can get the BBB ratings of dealers based upon consumer complaints etc.

*actually, I would rather have a cavity filled than buy a new car again since I feel they, car dealers, are never to be fully trusted but,...

Here is the link to the BBB's Rosenthal Mazda in Arlington review:

http://www.dc.bbb.org/report.html?compid=16321&national=Y

good luck.

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    ...you going to join the Friday Freeway? I need someone in there that scores lower than me. LOL...

/J
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    As much as I like chatting and guessing the wrong answers I can not make it today. I will be driving home thru rush hour traffic in my crusty ole subaru. I wish you luck and hope that you lead the lemmings to victory!
    The screen is 5.6. Yes, the sounds comes thru the FM stereo.
    We're the people who had problems with Rosenthal Mazda in Vienna, VA. Thought we'd pass along news of the wonderful experience we had tonight at Brown's Fairfax Mazda in Fairfax, VA. We purchased a 2001 LX, fully loaded (moon roof, touring package, roof rack, rear air, rear step plate) for $ 200 above Edmunds Invoice Prices. The dealer was wonderful to work with. The salesman came back from talking with the manager and offered this price without any "haggling." We felt the price was very fair and the deal was done within 5 mintues. They quickly cleaned the car and we were outta there. We would highly recommend this dealership, especially after our VERY POOR experience at Rosenthal in haggling over the price (4 hours) we wanted AND in vehicle delivery (vehicle delivered with burned seat, wrong entertainment system and ~400 miles).
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    I wouldn't have worried about the 400 miles, as the warranty mileage starts from where it is delivered. So you would have 36 months or until the odometer read 50,400, which ever comes first. If it wasn't titled yet, it's probably still considered a new vehicle, legally speaking. The unit could have been a dealer trade, or has just seen a lot of test drives.

The burned seat etc was not a good thing, but could be fixed. I don't recall, did you ask them about the things you mentioned to us, or did you just storm out? I don't recall the details of your story, but I certainly hope you gave them a reasonable chance to explain and make good by you.

Our dealer scraped the side of our ES driving it off the showroom floor.

I just had them right up the "We Owe" and we had it fixed the following week. BTW, we put about 300 miles on the brand new loaner MPV we were driving, so that is another way a new MPV could have a bunch of miles. We were real gentle with our loaner 8^)

I'm glad your are happy with your vehicle.

TB
  • carczarcarczar Member Posts: 23
    I can fully relate to toyrota and others on the message board who have had bad experiences with Rosenthal Nissan/Mazda (Fairfax VA). I've already posted my terrible experience with them on the board some time ago. This dealership thrives on lying, bullying, and humiliating the customer. Look elsewhere for your shiny new Mazda.
    congrats and many happy, safe miles with your new MPV. We have owned our 01 Sand Mica LX for 5 months and have loved every mile.

I'm glad to hear you didn't give up on the MPV after your bad experience.

Keep us posted on your MPV. The group of owners on this board are wonderful and very helpful.

Pete
    I'm glad you kept at it and got an MPV at a dealer you feel you're happy with!

/J
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Actually, the warranty goes until 36months from retail/50,000 miles on the odo, period. Doesn't matter what it was retailed with, so you lose whatever is on the clock.
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    At least with the 3/36's they record the delivery mileage and you get 36K from there.

I expected Mazda to do the same.

I guess I'll need to check more closely.

Of course 400 miles out of 50000 is less than 1%, so it's not worth losing sleep over.

OTOH, if 400 miles bothers you, then by all means get a vehicle as close to 0 as you can.

TB
    Man, I'll be lucky to have 25K when the warranty's up. Can I sell the other 25k of mileage to someone that needs it? lol

/J
  • lhr9795lhr9795 Member Posts: 2
    I am surprised by the result of the towing capability of MPV.

The minivan comparison at edmunds.com said that the Max.Towing Capacity of MAZDA MPV, Dodge Caravan and Toyota Sienna are 3000 lbs., 1800 lbs., and 3500 lbs. respectively.

How can MPV tows more then Caravan by such a big difference? Has anybody using MPV towing before and could you share your experience?

lhr
    I think that excessive mileage on the odometer at delivery is a bad thing. We all know that many people visit dealerships and drive cars that they have no intention of buying. Or worse yet, they want to buy a certain vehicle, but dog the life out of the "demo" vehicle to see what kind of power the engine has. We are all very careful regarding the break-in period for the engines in our new cars, why should anyone compromise this by accepting a new car that already has had a questionable past? I also own a Toyota Tacoma DoubleCab , and when I took delivery, the vehicle had 48 miles on the clock. This seemed reasonable, since the dealership that it came from was roughly that far away. Dealers should have demonstrator vehicles available for the purpose of demonstration, and these vehicles should be sold as "demos". I think people generally understand what demo means.
  • cutter44cutter44 Member Posts: 42
    On the other hand, conventional wisdom says you should drive the actual car you're considering buying, not a "demo". Now, if you were to take one for a good test drive, you might go for a half hour or so and rack up a few miles. Then you decide you like the other manufacturer's vehicle better. If a few people did this, it would have a fair amount of miles on it pretty quickly.
    Although, like you, I would be having doubts about paying for a "new" car with 400 miles on it...unless I got a GREAT deal.
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    A few years back (1993 to be exact) I bought a "demo" vehicle (a Suzuki Sidekick JLX). It had just over 500 miles on the ODO but there was nothing wrong with the car physically (no dents, dirty interior, etc). The dealership had used it as the primary "test drive vehicle" for that particular model. I got about $1000 off invoice cost plus they threw in some roof rack accessories when I negotiated the sale. Seven years and 87,000 miles later I traded it in on a new vehicle. The only service required was the regular oil changes, belts, filters etc., plus I had to have the water pump replaced (at around 64,000 miles), and replaced the tires twice during the time I owned it. It was a great little vehicle and I had no reservations about getting it with 500+ miles on it. I would probably have reservations about high mileage like that on a sports car that would be driven very hard during a test drive, but the majority of the cars out there are not hammered during a test drive . . . at least here where I live. Just my $.02.
  • dafedafe Member Posts: 2
    Just picked up my 2001 MPV LX (Rainforest Mica) with Touring Pkg, Moonroof, Roof Rack, 6-disc changer, etc. Paid Edmunds TMV. It was great - I showed the salesman all of my homework and told him to take it or leave it. They took it. It was really a great experience at Millenium Mazda in Durham, NC.

Now I have to read all of the posts from the various MPV boards!
    dafe,
    Did the dealer offer any incentives (either $1000 cash + 1.9 financing; OR $1500 cash)???
    Seems to me that the dealers are tight-lipped about what incentives are available. I took the $1000 + 1.9 APR.
  • dafedafe Member Posts: 2
    Interesting - they offered me $1,000 (which the local dealership doubled to $2000) plus 4.9%.

I was happy with 4.9 (my credit union only had 6.7), but 1.9 would have been even better.

They were not making a big deal about any incentives, and heard of them while there.
  • lhr9795lhr9795 Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Having read all the good feedback about MPV, I decided go with it. I just signed a deal for MPV 2001 DX. Here is the price.

MPV DX 2001, towing package, 15" alloy wheel, convinient package, Keyless entry and security alarm.

MSRP=$28034, sale price is can$24510.

The freight + air condition tax + administration fee is cnd$1235

Total price is (24510+1235) + TAX = 29607.

zero down payment, 36 month 0.9% finiance.

Just wondering how well other canadian did.

The business manager push me buy an extended warrenty, which is 7 year, 160000km (100k mile) bumper to bumper. The cost is cnd$2195 + tax.

My questions is that is the warranty worth of that money.

lhr
  • h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    Does anyone have any info on the 02 mpv? Thanks.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    You get some info here: http://www.vakcer.com/mpv/info/mpv2002.htm

I hope this helps.