Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• rysterryster Member Posts: 571
    I remember reading somewhere when the new Impala first came out, that Chevrolet engineered the vehicle to last 400K miles. Not sure if that is total vehicle life, or if that is before major overhauling/rebuild of major components.
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    Has anyone looked at their serpentine belt? My 2000 Impala LS with about 52K miles shows some slight cracks on the belt. It doesn't look too serious, however, everytime I get an oil change, the technician recommended that I replace it. Should I ignore him and see if it will last to 75K miles?
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    mine lasted till about 50k miles, but I would change it sooner than later. Better than realizing you should have changed it while waiting for a tow truck to arrive.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Not just mileage but time is the enemy of rubber. Five years old? Time to think about changing that puppy.

I'm on my third one. Then again, I have 157,000 miles on my 2ooo LS...
  • road46road46 Member Posts: 18
    2004 CHEVY IMPALA, BASE 3.4, W SPORT SEAT Package, POWER DRIVERS SEAT, 200 AMP RADIO, SPORT TIRES-PAID $17770 AFTER REBATES AND CREDITS. NOT A SINGLE PROBLEM AT 3300 MILES, KNOCK ON wood. Mileage Appx 26.5 mpg overall combination city/hwy. A real nice car, would love to find a way to convert this to a aftermarket hybrid.
    Advice? Trade it in on a Prius. Aftermarket hybrid will void your warranty, cause all kinds of service and resale issues and is not necessary. Get the Prius! That's from where I sit...
  • txguytxguy Member Posts: 57
    I run my 01 LS on a 110 mile daily commute. I bought it with 43K and am now pushing 97K. No problems (other than the documented ISS lube and leaky manifold) My commute is almost entirely freeway at speeds from 65-95 (depending on how active the deputies are). I see virtually no stop and go driving on my commute.

It's been easy on the tires, same set as when I bought it. Same brake pads too. My gas mileage runs from 26-30 depending on how much I jackrabbit. And that is real gas mileage calculated at fill-up. The onboard computer mileage readings run 1-2 more mpg than reality. I switched to Mobil 1 right after I bought it. Chevy engineers tested the heavy service (police) version of the Imp to 400K. My last 3 cars have gone over 300K, we'll see how this one does ;-)
  • zx3for_mezx3for_me Member Posts: 26
    Well that is good news....I'm actually looking at a 2003 base model that has all the toys, ABS, power seat, cd , bucket seats etc and in the color I want Cappacino Frost for 12990...sound like a decent deal?

The reason I asked is because I want to know how long this car would last me given the mileage I put on it....I'm currently in a Focus ZX3(seemed like a good idea at the time)but really would like a more comfy car for my commute..heck the Imp gets almost as good mileage as my Focus(right around 30mpg) Actually I really can't say anything bad about my Focus really...32k and no problems to speak of.....
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    You still have your Impala?

I thought you were buying something different?

157K is pretty impressive.

Also the gas mileage that the Impala gets on the highway is pretty hard to beat by any vehicle.

My Imp would get 29-30 mpg at 80 mph.
    My Cadillac SRX gets just under 21 mpg at 80 mph.
    Big difference. especially when it costs $36-38 for a fillup.
    Yep, I still got the Impala.

Probably trading for a Ford Five Hundred AWD when they come out, though. Thought I might be interested in the 2005 Subaru Legacy GT or Outback XT, but fear the back seat is not large enough for the adults I must sometimes transport as part of my job, though!

The Impala has been a faithful steed, and I shall regret watching it leave. However, it is time. Prior to it, I had a 1998 Grand Prix GTP, and prior to that a 95 Olds LSS. It's been three 3800's in a row, the middle one being supercharged!
    I am interested in a 300 as a 3rd car.
    Drove a friend's today with the 250 hp V6.
    She paid 26K for it and let me tell you, the Impala is not even in the same league as the 300.

Chevy needs to rethink their pricing strategy.
    Or else offer 5K in rebates.

The 300 is significantly a better drive.

Glad you have had great service from you imp.
    I am cursed when it comes to new cars.
    Srx has already had camshafts replaced and has a
    whine in the rearend.
  • skuuterskuuter Member Posts: 144
    I didn't even consider the Impala the last time I was car shopping (a month ago). I ran across a post the other day that talked about an SS retailing at over $30,000.

Just out of curiosity, I priced the Impala SS with all the goodies against my base 2004 CTS with just the engine and tranny upgrades. I got my CTS for less than $29,000 out the door (no trade involved)using the conquest bonus of $1500 and some stiff negotiating. The 3.6L is 255 HP/252 TQ compared to the 240 HP/280 TQ and 4 speed tranny on the Impala. Add all the options and I'm still ahead except the SS has a Special Edition emblem and the CTS has a nice, upscale and recognizable emblem. Even with the current $3000 cash back on the Impala, the cars are pretty evenly priced. GM needs to knock the Impala's price down a couple more thousand I think.

I can't imagine why anyone would even consider an SS Impala vs. a Caddy. There's no comparison.

Now, the Chrysler 300 mid-range models seem like a good alternative if price is your main limitation. The 300s, not counting the base 2.7L, are a lot more car for the dough compared to the Impala LS, IMO. Plus they look a LOT better!
    Then I must ask, WHY on earth are you reading this forum? You MUST have some regrets about not buying the Impala, or you would have no reason to be reading here!

:)
    John,

As mentioned in my post, I'm here out of curiosity. And of course, I was responding to b4zand dispencer1...not you. I'm not here to pick on anyone or any car in particular.

I considered the Impala when they first came out in '99. I think they're a decent car, but I can't figure why anyone would cross-shop these cars with the 300 or CTS. Just thought I'd add my two cents.

Don't be so touchy. Maybe it's you that has regrets?
    With 157,000 miles on a nearly five year old near perfect specimen (only a headlight switch and an airbag sensor in the unscheduled maintenance department), it can hardly be said I have had any regrets.

Next time around, which will be soon, it will probably be a Ford Five Hundred AWD for me, though I also looked at the Subaru Legacy GT wagon with the 2.5 liter turbo.

You couldn't pay me to buy a Chrysler car. They bought back my lemon 1994 LH car, which spent more of its time in the shop than with me. And a loaded 300 is hardly in the same class as the Impala.

Your wonderful CTS (and I do mean that, it is just too small for me) was but a dream when I bought my Impala.

I like W bodies. I had a GTP before the Impala. Before that, I had an Olds LSS, clone of the Bonnie....
    John,

Looks like you had a good experience with the Impala. It makes me wonder why you'd look at the Five Hundred and Subaru Legacy now. I get the impression that the Legacy would be more confining for you and while I like the interior styling on the Five Hundred, the exterior styling looks dated to me. Would you be waiting for the new engine or going with the Duratec?

Aren't there any viable GM alternatives for you right now? I'm sure GM would love to know why, after a good experience with their products, you would be looking elsewhere.
    I know you directed you question at johncline11 but I thought I would add my 2 cents.

Impala was very roomy.
    That is why I bought the SRX instead of the CTS.
    i drove 4 CTSs before I finally bought the SRX and just couldn't get past the lack of backseat room when the front seat was all the way back.

With the Impala I had enough legroom to pull the seat up and the backseat had all the legroom they could want.

The Impala was the roomiest GM car when I bought mine and that was the selling point for me.

I would never tell somebody not to buy one, but my expereince did not mirror johnclineii's.

I do think the Impala is basically a good car and enjoyed driving it. But not as much as i enjoyed the Intrigue or the SRX.
    Funny, Rutledge, but my kids, both teenagers, would rather ride in the back of the CTS than the wife's Santa Fe. You must've been planning to haul some tall people around in the CTS?

I find the rear room slightly cramped for me, but comfortable for short 2-3 hour trips. Anyway, I guess the point is the CTS is more compact than the Impala, so it is an issue with some.
    Reasons why I am not interested in another Impala:

a. Decontenting. Things I like about mine are gone on the new ones: from the lit PRNDL on the console to the glove box light to the coin tray to the seat pockets on both rear seats. I figure if GM decontented these things I CAN see, heaven knows what they did to cut costs on what I can't and what may be far more important.

b. the interior. I am ready for something that is a bit more classy than Fisher Price styling and exposed bolts in the armrests, along with six different shades of gray on the doors.

c. Boredom. I have had the same car for nearly five years from now. I surely do not want another just like it.

Why not something else from GM? I thought I might be interested in the G6, but it suffers from the quickly descending rear roof line. Same story, but worse, on the new Grand Prixs, which had a rear seat that I would NEVER subject adults to.

Also, I want AWD this time round. That means, in my book, either Subaru or the Ford.

We will see. August is coming....
    Everybody in my family is 6' or taller.

That decontenting onthe Impala really got to me too.
    Especially when you condsider that the price has increase 1K each year.
    My LS was 25.5K. Same car today is over 28K, and the side air bags are optional!

My reason for getting rid of the Impala was that I REALLY missed the refinement of a DOHC motor.
  • jkohanjkohan Member Posts: 9
    I have an 01 Impala LS and have had problems with the rotors. I am thinking about getting an 04 LS, but was wondering if Chevy is still having problems with the rotors?

What are the majority of the comments about the 04 SS? Was thinking about that one too. Does the SS take premium unleaded? If so, then that one is out of the question.

Has anyone out there gone from an 01 LS to an 04 LS and if so, was there a noticable difference in the two cars or was it no big deal?
    The SS does require premium unleaded.

And for those of you who will find it grand, today I found out I need a tie rod on the front right side and wheel bearings on the front left, all to be done on Tuesday. At 157,950 miles.

Still not at all displeased...

And I never had ANY problem with the rotors on my 2000 Impala LS...
    Had my right front bearing replaced at around 45K miles.
    Cost $550. Was not happy.
    Supposedly the 3 failure items on Impala cop cars are wheel bearings, transmissions and suspension parts.
  • bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    Hello: It's been some time since I've posted but I have a situation with my 2002 LS in Bronzemist. First of all, the car has been troublefree and a joy to drive. It has a little over 17,000 miles on it and when I put on brakes to slow down from speed or to stop, the front end shakes and the steering wheel does as well. Are my rotors warped? The car has never been abused or wrecked and I've never even hit a large sized pothole with it. The tires rotated every 6,000 miles, proper air is kept in the tires. If the rotors are warped, has anyone had experience with this and is it something that the warranty will cover. I have a service appointment on Tuesday and I would like to know if this is something they would willingly replace for me under warranty or am I going to have to argue about it. For what its worth, it's a small town dealer and every car I've had since 1993 has come from this dealership.
    It's time for me to replace my mother's car so I am going to give her my Impala. It's too good a car to trade. I like its looks especially in Bronze Mist. I am going to take another chance with Chrysler and get a 300 Touring. I drove one the other weekend and its a very,very nice car.
    It certainly does sound like warped rotors. Normally, turning/replacing rotors is not done under warranty, but you never can tell!

Good luck!
  • trucker50trucker50 Member Posts: 108
    John I appreciate your previous posts about my quiery's about replacing the stereo and all the unnecessary hassles that go along with it....man I long for the days when you could just replace the stereo without worrying about all that other crap.
    I too love my 2000 Impala though and after 61,000 miles have done nothing but routine maintenance and replaced the tires(just now needing new pads and rotors)....
    Was wondering about your interest in the new Ford 500. Will you be buying one as soon as they come out or waiting a bit to see of there are any bugs in the new model. I've been thinking about one myself and since I can get one on the A-plan may be taking the leap....
    I also can get one on the A plan. Given what is going on with my Impala, my travel plans, etc., I will take the risk of buying a Five Hundred when they come out...Perhaps I will upgrade/trade to the larger engine when it comes out, but I put 30-40k miles a year on a car, so I can afford to do that, though I will take a huge bath if I do.

I am also interested in AWD. I would have gotten a 2005 Legacy GT, but I am very unhappy with the virtually unusable back seat--you cannot insert foot, toes or anything else under the front seat backs! As for the Impala, perhaps I might be interested when the next version comes along.

I must also confess a tiny part of me is ALMOST interested in the Buick LaCrosse, but the huge trunk, big back seat and AWD of the Ford will probably send me in that direction. I MAY wait til the LaCrosse is at least available before buying the Ford. (And all my friends are trying to convince me to merely buy an ex-rental Grand Marquis/Crown Vic---an option but for the fact I can't stand the unsporty ride and bouncing, poor braking and huge exterior size...yet a back seat not even as big as the Impala's in my subjective view).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    A whole lot of the service you get depends on your relationship with the service manager at your dealership. It sounds like the way you purchase all of your cars at the local dealership they would want to keep you happy.

I have a super relationship with my GM dealer in the town where I work. I have bought umpteen cars from them, and I have made it clear to them that the reason I keep coming back is because of the way I am treated in the service department. The service manager has done me lots of favors over the years. You would be surprised by how much disgression those guys have regarding warranty work.

I appreciate my service manager so much that when I bought my Impala back in December, I asked that he would be given the "bird dog" fee of $50 for the sale. The bird dog fee, for any who may not be familiar with the term, is the referral fee given to people who send a customer to the dealership, if that customer buys a car.

So, by all means ask that the rotors be replaced under warranty, and if they do it for you, let them know that you appreciate it.

Good luck.

Tom
  • bsappbsapp Member Posts: 21
    Well, had my service appointment today and my brake rotors were warped. They turned them and the service order states a shim was added also. The whole work order was taken care of by the warranty. According to the service manager, the measurements they took, I'm presuming with the brake pads were very good, so they took care of the rotors for me.
    I am very pleased with this dealership. I know the owner and just about all the staff. They know me on sight and that's important to me. Also important too, is the way I treat them back, never ugly or demanding and I believe that goes a long way too.
    I mentioned earlier I was interested in a 05 Chrysler 300 Touring. The dealer where I got the Impala has a new 2003 Seville SLS that never sold. They offered it to me today for $33,000. Originally it stickered for $48,000. I'm thinking very seriously about this car, I like the Onstar feature that GM has in its car.
    Anyhow, I can report a positive resolution to my brake rotor problem.
    Bill Sapp
    Bsapp,

That price is right in line with a used 2003. How many miles are on this car? I think the only possible consideration would be between the 300's RWD vs. the Seville's FWD. If that's not an issue, the Seville is a lot more car, especially if it's unused. Plus the Seville will have the next gen. Magnetic Ride Control.

I'd assume you'd have the full factory warranty? If so, I'd offer them $32K and jump on it.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Last week, I rented a 2004 Impala base model. I must say, the quality of the 2004 Impala base is much improved than my 2000 Impala LS. The 2004 base acceleration and braking seem to be better than my 2000 LS. The door (when closing) has a better sound installation as well.....
  • kennethkenneth Member Posts: 13
    In the last 11 years I've owned 2 Lumina's and 2 Impala LS's. No problems with any of them. My current Impala has 1 year to go on the lease, but I'm hoping GM will come out with an early out incentive, since I've got 34k on it and I don't want to have to buy an extended warranty. I've been looking at other car makes and models but I can't find anything that gives me the same value for the money as the Impala. There isn't anything I dislike about the Impala, but I wanted something different. So, I'll probabably get another one (my third).
  • tsjaytsjay Member Posts: 4,591
    Your words are reassuring, since I am a new Impala LS owner. Got mine in December of 2003.

Actually, it's the wife who drives the Impala, and I will just drive it occasionally.

I am very impressed with the car so far. If you scroll up the posts a ways, you will see the post of mine regarding the killer deal I got.

Tom
  • danzigdandanzigdan Member Posts: 50
    I think GM has been putting pansy (my friend's words) rotors on their cars for awhile. A friend has a 97 or 98 Malibu he has owned since new and that was one of the only qualms he had with the car. When I acquire my Impala if I have problems with the stock rotors I think I'm going to go with the heavy-duty Raybestos rotors another Impala enthusiast recommended.

My 97 Camry slightly warps rotors fairly quickly as well. I think it's aftermarket crap mixed with ABS that does the Toyota in.
    My first rotors lasted 130,000 miles, and they were the GM ones....
  • fredvhfredvh Member Posts: 857
    Will there be a 2005 Impala? I might be interested in this vehicle if it comes with driver AND passenger side airbags. I just do not know why they only put the driver's side airbag in the current Impala.
  • pluto5pluto5 Member Posts: 618
    The side airbag only protects the torso. You need side curtain airbags to protect your head. Judging from GM's past behavior, you probably won't see them in the Imp until they do a major redesign, for 06?
  • gweilogweilo Member Posts: 118
    Haven't been here for a while. Just wondering if the Impala issues have been cured.
    Hmmmm maybe My interest in a new Impala has come alive again...with the GM loyalty cash it comes out to a 4k rebate...nice..my wife just bought a Vue so that rocks!

ABS worth the extra money? Waffling on it...wondering if worth the extra cake with discs all around
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    YES! ABS is definitely worth the money! I've used ABS on a few occasions.
    I just sat in a 2004 Impala LS and it had a coin holder and it had seat pockets on the back side of the front seats. The light in the glovebox is gone sure enough. I did not pay attention to the PRNDL being gone from where the shifter is, however it is still on the dash.

I'm getting ready to trade my 01 LS in on an 04 LS. I'm getting one loaded with everything but the XM radio for 22,199.00. Even includes dual heated power front seats. That price does not include tax, etc..
  • kennethkenneth Member Posts: 13
    Sounds like a great price. Mind my asking if that is with GMS pricing? As for the PRNDL, it is gone from the shifter.
    That price includes $4000.00 cash back incentive. I have two other quotes for 22,450 and 23,500 for the same car. So far this dealership that I am working with has them all beat. They told me that they will NOT be undersold. We'll see.

I just looked at my paperwork from when I bought my 01 LS. I bought it in June of 2001 and paid 21900.00 for it and it does not even have the dual heated power seats that my potential new one has.
    Cappucino Frost 1SB, Drivers power seat, ABS $18,300....good...bad?

Only one of them in New England so they would have to swap out to get it for me.

Any issues with the 2004's I should be aware of?
    Great deal! Enjoy your car! I'm about 500 miles from home in my 2000 LS right now, with 159,900 on the clock!
    Figures I start looking at others an now have my eye on a silver Imp that has the Sport appearance pkg, abs 1sb etc for 19200...hmmmmm not sure if it worth the extra grand....only thing being different is the bucket seats, different tailights and info center i think
  • banker4banker4 Member Posts: 5
    I have a 01 Impala. The radio is the RDS, with cassette and CD player. For the past several weeks, I have been having problems with the radio. Sometimes when I turn the radio on, it doesn't play at all. Other times it will come on immediately, but will cut out and come back on.

When this is happening, the cassette and CD player will not have any sound when I insert the CD or Cassette. The media is playing, but no sound comes out. When I press the seek/scan on the radio, it will stop at the stations with strong signals, but no sound.

When the radio is dead, my warning chime for the parking brake, seat belts, is muted as well.
    Has anyone encounterd this?

I did stop at a local sound shop today and the clerk said that it sounded like the amplifier was bad. He said they could take the radio out and send it out of town to be looked at. I really don't want to do this, unless its the only way.

Any suggestions appreciated.
    Please disregard #12608...I had the wrong vehicle..... :(

Well the search continues...actually drove 3 Impalas today...a Berry one with sport cloth package, ABS, leather wheel and radio controls...that was the one for 19200...didn't care for it that much..probably the color...the other 2 had the Sport appearance packages...one was sandstone, the other silver...sandstone had the following:

ABS
    Leather wrapped wheel with audio controls
    1SB
    Mirror group
    Sedan Sport appearance group, alum wheels, buckets seats, pwr seat,spoiler and body colored taillights(around them)
    Sunroof
    Build is 11/03
    List 25950, after rebates 20,082

Silver one

same except no mirror group or leather wheel with radio mounted controls but it does have the trip computer
    Build 5/04
    List 26220, after rebates 20462

Right now I think the sandstone is a better deal BUT not my favorite color and should I be concerned of 11/03 build date to avoid the manifold leak issue or the ISS?

Hell for this money I saw a LS in gray with XMS for around the same price.....better to go with the LS?

Very confused lol
  • hvanhvan Member Posts: 56
    Go with the LS!!! No question ask!
    2004 LS pretty much loaded

Metallic Gray

1SB
    Leather with comfort package
    Overhead console with computer etc..
    Sunroof(don't really want but oh well)

Sticker 28290

Dealer said out the door for 21856...should I press more or is that great price? I I can get him to drop to 21K I will jump on it. Damn sunroof price that is holding it up.