Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• h1vch1vc Member Posts: 295
    thanks
  • billp36billp36 Member Posts: 3
    Buying a 2001 LX and was offered the extended 5 year warranty for $1095. Anyone feel its worth it? Or are there any other sources?
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    A few Q's

How far do you drive in a year?

What is the mileage limit on the extended warranty?

Why do I ask? The Mazda new comes with 36month/50K mile warranty. So unless you are getting 60 months and 100K miles, and you actually expect to drive that far, then go for it.

You are basically talking about $550/year for two additional years, if you don't blow through the mileage allowance.

It may look like a 5 year warranty, but in most cases, it really is only a two year warranty since you get three years regardless what you pay for your van. Of course if you are buying miles...

But if you are really warranty conscious, it might be cheaper to lease for three years and get a new van when this one is out of warranty. If you drive less than 16.6K/year and can get a lease with that many miles, this might be the way to go.

Final question, Mazda warranty or third party.

I'm partial to the car makers warranty if I chose because they have more to lose if I'm not happy.

My $0.02

TB
    The guy asks for advice. I post a few clarifying questions and this thread goes dead.

What gives?

Sitting at home like a loser because I'm on call this weekend 8^(
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    lol, maybe you gave him too much to think about?

Missed you in Friday Freeway tonight - the MPV crowd was well represented.

Steve
    Host
    Vans, SUVs and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards

• javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    No, wait...if Tboner shows up at Friday Freeway, I'll go farther down the list..."his knowledge, it is great."

;-)

-Missed you there Tony!

/J
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I wish he would have been thier I would have two intelligent folks to lemming after!
    Friday night.

And why do you think I'm up so early on a Sunday morning.

Darn Computers

TB
    PS, if your MasterCard doesn't work today, it aint my fault 8^)
  • msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    I only carry VISA.
    John:

I hope I was not one of those you mentioned. I proudly tote a graphic on my race car that says "DON'T FOLLOW ME... I'M LOST TOO." If Tboner'd been there, I'd shamelessly lemming'd him too. "I'll Take turbocharged Volvos for $200, Alex," that's me.

;-)

/J
    ...and I'm no longer on call!

MPV content. I'm taking it to work today, so we shall see how it does on the daily commute.

TB
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Hiya everyone. Remember me? I've been out of comission for the last 5-6 weeks recovering from knee surgery, but I've got plenty of MPV stuff to contribute. So I'm apologizing now for what's likely to be a long post.

-Front-end brake/tie rod popping sound:
    I took Maxine in to our Mazda dealer for the third time about the popping sound in the front end, and this time I took in a printout of the TSB from the forum here. When I picked up the van, the dealer insisted that it's an issue with the brake calipers, and that Mazda is working on a fix kit for it, and they'll call me when the kit is ready and they can fix the van. I'm not really happy about this, but the weather is getting colder, so we'll hear the noise less now. Hopefully they'll have the fix before Spring.

-Side-by-Slide seats and dual sliding doors:
    After my knee surgery (ACL reconstruction), my right leg was in a leg immobilizer (mostly because my legs are too short to fit into a regular brace, but that's a different story entirely). I couldn't drive, so the MPV became my personal limo. :) My entry routine went like this:
    1. open the passenger door and slide the seat over towards the door.
    2. rest my crutches against the van, making sure only the rubber part touches.
    3. turn my back to the inside of the van and hoist myself up onto the seat (there's those short legs again) with my arms.
    4. grab the crutches and pull them into the van.
    5. pull the slide lever and slide the seat over to the center. (wheeee!!)
    6. close the passenger door.
    7. scooch myself over to the left seat and buckle up.
    The exit routine was easier:
    1. Open the driver side door.
    2. Put the crutches outside and use them as a prop.
    3. Slide off the seat (slowly).
    4. Close the door.

Now for some non-MPV content. Hopefully some of the more automotively-inclined folks on the thread can help out. The battery in my poor Honda went dead after three weeks or so of neglect while I couldn't drive, and now it won't hold a charge. Is there anything I can do short of replacing it?

-Dave
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    I almost forgot. The November 2001 issue of Car and Driver showed up in my mailbox today, and in it was an article on the MPV LX. Basically it's the same thing all over again--love the roll-down windows, side-by-slide seats, and the fold-down third seat; hate the placement of the VCR, and the engine is underpowered. Yet they state early in the article that the van "was continually in demand" among their staff.

I had thought from the pictures that Mazda redesigned the rear seat, but then in a sidebar the magazine shows a cargo container from Herrington that bolts to the underside of the rear seat and has pop-up sides and dividers to help contain groceries. I wonder if it interferes with the VCR at all.

I checked the Car and Driver web site for a link to the article, but it hasn't been posted yet.

-Dave
  • mmackenzie1mmackenzie1 Member Posts: 13
    Looking at a 2001 MPV LX and was wondering if the rear AC is a necessity. We have a 2 year old with another on the way. It occurs to me that the little ones couldn't really work the controls. If you go without, are their any vents back there, or is it simply the front vents shooting cool air back? Thanks in advance.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I've had both and I'll never go back to the single A/C setup. With the dual air, you can make the thing an ice box.

I suppose it depends on where you are, but in Southern CA, I would never again get one with single air.

:)
  • dsventekdsventek Member Posts: 1
    Finally, after reading the posts here, test driving both the MPV and the Sienna, and doing my homework, I was able to purchase what I wanted and for the price I thought was right. I made the decision to buy an MPV now instead of waiting for the 2002. I purchased, for the wife, a pure white LX with: fog lights, front & rear mud guards, rear bumper step plate, roof rack, rear spoiler, dual A/C, and LX touring package. We got it for invoice minus the rebate ($24,293-$1500=$22,793). We financed through my credit union for 5 years @ 5.9%. This all happened on Sept. 7.

Since then, we have added a rear seat entertainment system (for the kids), clear bra, and took it for a trip. During the trip we averaged a little better than 22 mpg and found the supposedly lack of power is not an issue for us.

We have had no problems and are very happy with our MPV.

Thank you to everyone on this thread. You made our choice and purchase so much easier.

Dave
    Many happy miles to you!
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    I would personally highly recommend the rear air option. We have it and I have ridden back there myself (usually when we have visitors) and find it quite handy. Yes, a 2 year old won't be operating it yet, but they will soon! Now when my 9 year old gets cold/hot she can handle it herself. My husband loves the A/C on much stronger than the rest of us so we often have it configured different in the back.
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    welcome to the MPV club! Many happy and safe miles.

Pete
    don't leave home without it:)
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Run, do not walk to get the rear AC. Don't worry about your daughter being too young: you can cantrol it for her from the front. And if you get any 80+ muggy days where you live, it's an absolute delight for your passengers--and even for your front occupants when it's really hot and sticky out.

Dave, you look as though you got a good deal on a good car. Glad this forum helped you with your decision and with the purchase. I know it was a big help to me when I bought The MPV President McKinley last February.

Happy Miles!

RJ
    We even use it on warm (70s/80s) days here in Alaska. You'll want rear a/c for the small amount it costs.

/Java
    Who are you kidding?

Malt(enjoying sunny and 80)
    Besides, it's not the heat it's the humidity that gets ya here. Yeah, that's the ticket! Of course, being FORTY-ONE degrees (that's F, not C) today, the a/c won't be used for, oh say seven months now.

/J

I enjoy the 4 seasons here in Ohio. You have 4 seasons, but 3 of them only last a total of 3 months:) I couldn't live in Malt's area. I wouldn't hang Christmas lights on Palm trees:)

MPV content........7500 oil change, rotation tomorrow!
    Import:
    Water
    Cars(MPVs)
    Fir trees for Christmas

Export:
    TV & Movies
    Tons of Fruits and Veggies
    More Cheese than WI

Not a bad exchange considering you can wear shorts while you hang Christmas lights.

MPV content: Dual air gets used in November.
    exports MPV engines, and then imports them right back:)
  • ezuluetaezulueta Member Posts: 1
    I bought a 2001 MPV LX about 3 months ago, and I didn't get rear A/C. I thought I didn't need it. Well turns out I need it. I have 2 kids, 2yrs and 2 months respectively. The A/C in the front is more than adequate for the front passengers and to an extent the second row. The third row is another story. It can get quite hot there. I have to set the A/C to 4 for quite awhile to get the Van cool on really hot days. I tried to see if I could get rear A/C installed at the dealer as an after thought but it's a no go. Mazda does not provide them with a kit. =( So I have to live with it. The Van is great except this one thing that I overlooked. The next time I'll make it the number one requirement.
    Mazda, as well as all car manufacturers, should make rear air stardard and not an option. I have never heard a Van owner say they wish they didn't have rear air.

I see your in Orange county, CA. Hard to believe Mazda would sell no rear air MPV's in your area.

To all prospective MPV owners, DON'T BUY YOUR MPV WITHOUT REAR A/C! Remember, price is soon forgotten, your comfort is more important. JMO!
    Pjd58
  • hiyadavehiyadave Member Posts: 1
    I've been hoping to hold out for the new 3.0L/5 speed 2002 model but my current 1990 Accura Integra with 167,000 miles is showing serious signs of not planning on living to see 168,000.

I took a 2001 LX for a test drive today. Nice van, a little stiff in the ride compared with Toyota Sienna and Dodge Caravan (I've never driven the Honda) but I can live with that. I did notice the motor whine and slightly jerky transmission that has been mentioned previously on these boards.

The salesman told me they expect to start seeing 2002's in January. I also noticed a 2000 ES in the used lot as I was leaving. So here's my dilemma:

Do I go for the new 2001 (listing about $25k, didn't get down to hard numbers but I figure they should come down about 3k), go for the used ES, about 25k miles on it, listing for about $21k, figure they should come down to about $18k, maybe even a tad lower considering the somewhat high miles for a one year old vehicle, or try to hold out for the new models with the usual potential pratfalls of a newly reconfigured model and likely fewer price incentives?

Oh geez I hate these kind of decisions.
    so many choices. If you can wait til Jan, I would go for the 02 MPV. The new 3.0 and 5 speed tranny will make this great van even better. I still believe you will be able to do well on the price of an 02.

Although, if you go for a 01 LX, I believe there is 0% for 48 months. We have an 01 LX and love our van. My Wife drives the MPV most of the time and finds the power adequate. When I drive it I mash down on the gas pedal harder and notice the lack of power during the lower gears. Once up to crusing speed it's zoom zoom.

I would stay away from a used MPV with 25k, especially a 2000.I seriously doubt the dealer will sell the 00 for 18k. Not to upset our 2000 owner's, but the 2000 had some issues with vibration and pulling at highway speeds. I believe everyone here will agree the 01 had fewer issues. Mazda worked out some of the kinks with a first year model. Just my opinion!

Good luck:)
    Pete
    As much as I think my very well optioned 2000 LX is a peach, and have had very few of the first year issues some have had, I'd sell you mine for $18K. It's in the meat of its depreciation, and since I only paid $23K for it two years ago, losing $5k would be a dream come true. If you go for the 2000, the price should be lower, just to be fair. :)

On the side of the 2000/2001 models, the power in the 2.5 equipped vans is, imho, fine and most folks would agree/some disagree. I rarely want for more, but who really ever has enough hp, right? ;-) I think our van's holding up very well after 2yrs/20k miles.

But, if you can wait a quarter, till Q1-2002, I'd go for the 2002 model. It'll prolly cost a tad more than the 2001s are going for, but it'll be much improved over an already really good (imho) van.

If you just don't want to wait, get yourself a great 2001 van, and take advantage of some super financing deals if you want to in the process!

my 2.6cents,

/Java (did I say "imho" enough times?) doc
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Okay,I will say up front that I am a stickler when it comes to safety issues in a vehicle. Plus I am always comparing my 2001 MPV with comparable vans. My gripe with Mazda is that they missed the boat when it comes to certain safety equipment.Every other van out there has front seat belt pre tensioners.This includes some clearly inferior vans by GM and Ford.In fact,this is a standard item on most vehicles made today. Most other vans have a 3 point seat belt for the middle back seat. Heck,even a headrest for the middle rear seat should be standard. Why Mazda would sacrifice very common safety items which would not have changed the cost very much is beyond me,particularly when their direct competition has them.
    THis is not to say the MPV is unsafe,in fact it did rather well in crash tests,and it makes side air bags fairly easy to get. I am also quite happy with our van as it has many pluses; but Mazda should have done a little better in this area.
    Kind of related: Has anyone else noticed how lightweight the doors are in the MPV? This became apparent to me when I rode in a Windstar where the doors were much heavier.
  • cinka1cinka1 Member Posts: 30
    Sorry for joining in so late, but I finally got back on the net with a new computer. These things take time.
    I had to have the leather seats, period. I had waited a long time for a brand new car and I was finally able to finance all by my lonesome. Quite a feat for some of us women working/fighting our way up. By golly, I was gonna have leather seats. I don't care how cold they are in the winter, I don't wear shorts in the winter anyway. (I did vote for a wish list that included heated seats.) Didn't I hear that the '02 was going to have power seats? How tricking would it be to swap them for the manual seats? Of coarse, since I am the only one who drives the van, I don't need to adjust the seat much if at all. I do find that the windows fog up on the inside pretty easily. Anyone else notice this? I tried using that anti fog stuff, so now I can see all the spots I missed when it starts to fog up in the mornings. I have used the A/C along with the heater and this does seem to help. Can't figure out how it works, just that it does. What tires are being used for replacement. I know ya'll have talked this one before, but I'm too lazy to find the tread... I mean thread.
    the A/C removes moisture from the air and the heat gives the air a greater capicty to hold water. The dry warm air combo removes the condensation the fastest.

No new ideas about your dilemma, just a hearty endorsement of what pjd and javadoc have to say. They speak with straight tongues. If your current mobile is thrreatening not to be, go for the 2001 and its great financing. The "high" mileage 2000 should be strictly a last choice. it's probably a safe enough purchase, but why spend that kind of money on a nearly two-year-old van with 25k on it already?

Gee, I love these kinds of questions. I get to give out advice, and its even been asked for!

RJ
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    Has anyone had after-market leather installed on an MPV with front SIDE airbags? I have read where doing such may cause the side airbags not to work in a collision. What have you been told about this by the installers? I would love to go to leather, but I want my airbags to still function!
  • drew_drew_ Member Posts: 3,382
    Please check the owner's manual. Generally speaking though, aftermarket leather or seat covers are strongly not recommended, despite what the leather or seat cover installer/manufacturer may say about being airbag compatible.

Drew
    Host
    Vans, SUVs, and Aftermarket & Accessories message boards
  • jacksonianjacksonian Member Posts: 7
    Well I just made out the check for the second payment on our 01 LX Sandmica so I thought it was time to let everyone know my opinions after two months.

The van know has almost 3,300 miles and I must say first off that very few of those miles was with me behind the wheel. My wife has relegated me to passanger status, something that I'm not used to in our 17 years of married bliss. :) So that should let you know how my wife feels about the van, but this is MY Opinions so here I go.

2)Great Handling
    3)Easy to park
    4)plenty of room
    5)love the fold down 3rd row seat
    6)good headroom (Im 6'3" and thats important)
    7)Gas Mileage (averaging 22.5 in mixed driving, can't wait to see what we can squeeze out on a long highway trip)
    8)MUSIC SYSTEM ROCKS!
    9)Rear Air cools van really fast
    10)Head Lights (we had a Dodge Caravan need I say more)
    11)Van warms up fast (again we had a Dodge)
    12)Middle row power windows (you would never realize how convienant they can be until you have them)

Dislikes:

1)Seats are very hard and I cant seem to stay comfortable for very long (My wife and Kids think there just fine)
    2)Road and wind noise (louder on passanger side than drivers)
    3)3% of the time POWER (97 % of time power is just fine)
    4)cheap drawer under drivers seat (cant store anything of value in it)

Thats my two month likes and dislikes. as you can see I have no real problems with the van (besides my wife not leting me drive more)there are no sqeeks or rattles very solid van so far.

I'll check back in a few months with more opinions and mpg's (maybe by then Ill have more opinion from the left side of the van).
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    We have owned our 01 Sand Mica LX for 3 months and 5000 miles,here is a brief review:

Positives:
    -Ride
    -handling
    -looks
    -interior design and layout
    -initial dependability,no problems
    -convienence (3rd seat, rear windows)
    -sound system very good
    -comfort
    -availability of side air bags
    -availability of ABS
    -pricing and incentives

Negatives:
    -engine power(about 10% of the time)
    -engine noise (about 10% of the time)
    -Trans shifter blocks some radio controls
    -no rear (3rd row)power windows; we had this on our 94 Villager for crying out loud.
    -no 3rd row middle head rest or 3 point seat belt;no seat belt pretensioners which are available on most cars and all of competitions vans now.This was a real miss for Mazda on fairly inexpensive items.
    Overall,I am happy with our MPV. My wife the primary driver is very happy and that is very important.(I probably would have gone with the Sienna for its better resale,but the MPV is a fine choice).
    The only real complaint quite frankly is Mazda's choice of engine when compared with the competition. It is okay most of the time and I do not agree with what has been written by critics like Car & Driver.The engine seems to have to work pretty hard when going up hills with four passengers. However,with all the other options available to Mazda (and Ford) they should have done better, even if they just 'tuned' the existing engine some to get more torque and hp which could have been done easily. At least this will be corrected with the 2002 model. I just hope it doesn't hurt us owners of 2000/2001 models come resale time. I think I know the answer to that one.
    P.S. For those new to this board,please keep in mind that I generally fall on the critical side of issues and that this is only one persons opinion.
    Rutger3, don't worry, nobody's going to jump down your throat for expressing your opinion [he said as he prepared to jump down your throat :)].
    First of all, I'm pretty much in agreement with everything you and Jacksonian wrote. I thought you were even a little nice not mentioning out quirky @#$%#$#&^%xx transmission. You guys must live in the flatlands.
    The one place I disagree with you is about the engine noise. The more I hear that sexy little growl on acceleration, the more I'm falling in love with it. Sort of reminds me of a very contented cat. [Have I ever mentioned that I have no real life?]
    Anyway, glad you both have more likes than dislikes. Pretty well sums up my feelings about the President McKinley.

RJ
    I'll have to take you for a ride in my SVT Contour if you like the faint growl of the MPV, I'll bet you love what the Contour does. Especially now that I've replaced the exhaust with an aftermarket Borla.

The acceleration of the SVT is a bit different as well 8^)

TB
  • lockidgelockidge Member Posts: 1
    We have been looking at the MPV for a while, there are some good deals here on leftover 01's.
    One question I have not remembered to ask when I have been at the dealer is where is the spare? Anybody know?
    Steve
    Passenger side, under the vehicle. Roughly where
    the sliding door is located.

TB
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    It's immediately behind the pass front seat (underneath the vehicle). There is a bolt under the carpet behind the pass front seat that when turned counterclockwise, it will lower the spare to the street level.
  • scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    Hello all...well, I'm new to the board and the MPV as well. After a year and a half of looking at Ody's, I finally decided to get into an MPV. Actually, I had given up on getting any van at all and thought I would just keep my '99 Honda Accord LX forever. We also have a '00 Accord SE. I wanted to dump the '99 since I drive it for business and had almost 50K miles on it. My wife had the '00 SE (which is a much nicer car) and we really needed a van for our two kids, ages 8 and 2. I've used Edmund's and the town hall to keep up on the Ody, but I just couldn't bring myself to pay that much money. I always liked the styling of the MPV, but after reading about the under-powered engine and wierd tranny, I was turned off. The one thing I noticed, though, was the loyal following I saw on this board. Last month, I happened to notice a used 2001 MPV Teal LX in the local Mazda dealer ad for $20,990. Well, the rest is history. They took me out of my '99 Accord for the balance of my loan - $12,700 (Edmund's fair trade was $10,800) plus they came down to $18,990. The van had 12k miles and had been used by Enterprise rent-a-car (I did a Car-Fax report). The Mazda dealer certified it and raised the warranty up to 4 yr/62,000 miles, although 1 yr and 12k miles had already passed. So basically I got the standard new warranty. BTW, I also looked at the brand new '01s while at the dealer and inquired into getting an ES at invoice. They said 'no problem', so if anyone's thinking about buying now, there's some really good deals available. We decided to stick with the used one and my wife and kids absolutely LOVE their new MPV!
    congrats, glad to hear your family is enjoying your new MPV. You don't see many Teal MPVs.

Many happy and safe miles.

Pete
    Welcome to the fold Scott! I'm impressed, seeing a Honda owner jumping over to the Mazda, WTG! Hope you have many happy adventures!

/Javadoc
    but two Scotts on here? Hopefully you have better manners than Javadoc.
    ... in two ways:

1. It's snowing here... AGAIN
    2. My devilish good looks let me get away with it!

/Java (laughing all the way) doc