Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I was on this site from long ago . Our 2k LS that we bought new has 32,000 miles. It has the original brakes. I just checked them and the pads look about 50% wear, no rust.
    My 2002 trailblazer I just changed the rotors and pads myself, all 4 rotors were rusted badly on the inside. The impala is always garaged and the TB outside so that could be it.

anyway, the problemn with our cd player is the disc would go in, and you could hear it try to start, it would spin and start a few times, then the check cd message.

I hope this works. I may have to start a side radio repair business. LOL Will advise.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Do you happen to be one of the folks who got included in the 2001 Impala brochure? I wound up getting a quote (but no photo :( ); I think I was one of the few here at the time who had a base model. I'm almost at 111k miles on mine; I think I got @ 45-50k miles on my original brakes, so I'd say you're on target.
    My quote was on page 32. My 1 year of fame in every chevrolet dealer across the country. I have about 20 copies somewhere.
    I've got a case of the 2001 brochures under my bed; my quote is on page 28! They sent a couple of photographers here and we spent the better part of a day taking various shots of me with my car (none of which made the brochure, though the photographer sent me several slides...my carspace page has one of the photos on it).

One funny thing I remembered in leafing through the brochure, the photographers who came here had spent the day before with a guy in Dallas (they specifically had me wear a blue shirt, because they knew the other guy wore a red shirt). Anyway, his picture is in the brochure on page 20, and the guy is sitting inside his car. The reason for that was that a day or two before the photo shoot he'd had a wreck in his car, and they said there were literally pieces hanging off the front of it, so the only decent shot they could get was of the interior!

Kind of neat going back through the brochure actually; they got most of the quotes from people in this forum, so when the brochure came out it was almost a "who's who" of the Edmunds Impala forum...except we knew everyone by their screen names instead of their real names used in the brochure. It'd be interesting to see how many of the folks featured in the brochure held onto their cars, and what their experiences were.
    do you still have the gift set they sent to us, the pin set. I do. it was cool
    I say I still have mine somewhere, but I haven't been able to put my hands on it lately. I either did a really good putting them away for safekeeping, or a really bad job. I think mine is in a storage container in my garage, but I'm almost afraid to dig into it and look for fear it won't be there.
  • road46road46 Member Posts: 18
    If anyone has a wet carpet on the passenger side 04 Impala-check your air cabin filter gasket seal. The leak will be under the glove box area. I think the GM term for the part I am referring to is "deflector". It's about 2 feet long gasket/seal type of rubber material. This part can get get dried out and fall off or be not installed correctly when the air filter is replaced or checked. The GM part # for my model was 10388810. I paid less than $15 for the part at the dealer. This seal deflects water/rain from the cabin filter and fan blower. If this part is not installed correctly water will pass thru the blower assembly and into the pass cabin floor area.
    I just changed mine over the weekend. it had 30k on it.
    I noticed that gasket you talked about and the baffle must be put in correctly also.
    I got the replacement CD part and 2 buttons shipped for $20 shipped. I took the dash apart, took the radio out, put it all back together and the CD works again like new. If you have any mechanical ability, you should be able to do it. I have had the dash trim off so many times it is easy now.

You have to have a good memory, I have this ability to take anything apart, spread it out on the table and put it all back together from memory. I do other car repairs for friends too.
    It helps to remember LOL

I found this guy, he is in Philly, he was selling radios on ebay, I called him then he created this page
    http://www.kigma.net/TEMP/1002/1002.htm
    with pictures of it to make sure it was the same.

call him for parts, very good service. If you cant do it yourself, they fix them too.

http://www.marketworks.com/StoreFrontProfiles/default.aspx?sfid=104387
    Thanks for the info; I'm just glad to know the CD player is a separate unit that can be replaced without creating problems with the radio head unit (which is critical for all the various settings you can change through it, and which I've heard nightmares about replacing because of the theft prevention system built into it).
  • terri411terri411 Member Posts: 2
    Hi everyone, I just found this site and I love it, you people are seem so helpful. I have a couple of questions if you don't mind. First I own a 2000 Impala Dark Green, the paint is only peeling on my spoiler, would any dealer have the right paint? second my blinkers are going bonkers, if I turn and they don't work I have to hit the emergancy hazard blinkers first then my blinker will work, it's on and off any help in this dept? thanks my fellow Impala's,
    Terri :confuse:
    I can't help you on the paint, but I can on the blinkers! From what you describe you need to replace the hazard switch (the same one you push to jump-start your blinkers now). I don't have the part number handy, but if you do a little digging around online you can find the info. If I'm not mistaken just the other day someone posted the part number, as well as some pictures of the process they went through to replace it.

Two approaches - One is to remove the front of the dash (which isn't as daunting as it sounds) and approach the replacement from the backside of the dashboard; the other is to pry the switch out from the front. I went the dashboard removal route, and it wasn't that difficult. After I did so I saw how approaching it from the front could work, but I think I might have screwed up something doing it that way...plus you'll probably let go of the wiring harness and it'll fall behind the dash, so you'll end up taking if off anyway!

Actually I just went and found the post someone else left earlier; it's under Chevrolet Impala Lighting/Electrical Issues and it's post number 227 (the last one there currently). It also lists the part number. When I replaced mine I also found some info at www.naioa.com that was helpful (especially in terms of removing the dash).

Good luck!
  • mithrandiir42mithrandiir42 Member Posts: 1
    Hello, I recently had my winshield wipers stop in mid wipe while I was driving. After some investigating after removing the arms and cowl to see the linkage, I found that the screw that attached the crank arm to the motor had loosened up. After fixing this, the wipers work on high and low and even park in the correct position. But when i use any of the intermittent settings, the wiper will go up, then down and about 3/4 of the way back up and pause for the rest of the interval. and that's how it will continue to operate until I turn them off, then they go down and park like normal.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Thanks,

Jeremiah
  • traveljaketraveljake Member Posts: 2
    I have a 05 impala and the horn just died. It sounded weak for about a month, then it just stopped working. What happen with your horn? The dealership figure out the problem?
  • laney79laney79 Member Posts: 3
    :mad: Well...i have no idea what this problem could be, but this is what happened. I was driving yesterday with the heater on 2....suddenly the fan was blowing like it was on 5.....i tried to turn it down, but there was no change. when i got home i turn the car off, took the key from the ignition and the fan for the heater was still blowing. Needless to say my battery went dead. I have never heard of anyone having a problem like this.....i think i have a phantom heater!!!!
    I know exactly what your problem is, it is the blower motor resistor. I have replaced them on a few different cars, usually what happens is that you loose some of the speeds on the fan. Not sure of the exact location on the impala but It is located under the dash on the passenger side, it bolts right into the heater box. Should be easy to change.
    Thanks for your reply to my question.....but i've read another comment posted by an Impala owner (message #131413) and it was talking about Air Cabin Gasket Seal.....and that seems to be my problem......my passenger side floor gets wets when it rains....and the day that the problem with my fan started, there was a heavy rainfall which resulted in inches of water on the passenger side cabin floor. so, i'm thinking that water has shorted out the fan blower......have you ever heard of this problem
    Did you change your cabin air filter recently? When I changed mine, there are a few rubber strips that need to be in the correct location to prevent leaks. sounds like that is your problem. It is under the black plastic cover under the windshield wipers on the passenger side.
    i don't know if the cabin filter has been changed...i just recently purchased this car...thought i was getting a great deal....kinda rethinking that now. So do you think that the rain water could of ran into the fan blower and shorted it out? because the fan keeps running even after the car had been shut off and the key out of the ignition.....i even removed all the fuses...and the fan kept blowing....i have ruined my battery. and thank you again for your suggestions:))
  • traveljaketraveljake Member Posts: 2
    I was thinking of replacing it (the horn) myself as well, but I'm not sure of how difficult a job it may be. I've done repairs on cars before but if it is too involved I'll just take it to the dealer.
    Though it hasn't happened yet, it looks like I may be saying goodbye to my 2000 Impala (which also means I may be moving on from this forum). I started posting here back in early 2000 after I'd ordered my Impala and was curious as to how long it took from ordering to delivery, and I've been here ever since. The car has almost 114k miles on it now, and it's still doing fine...but with kids approaching driving/college age soon I knew I'd be juggling cars for them in some form or fashion, so it made sense for me to go ahead and get something new now so I can get it paid off before things get too complicated with the kids.

Having cashed in my GM Card earnings last year when my parents' truck got hit and they needed a replacement, I didn't have enough credits this time around to make much of a difference in my new car decision. Because my wife already has a sedan, I was looking for something that would give us a little more flexibility in terms of towing/hauling things larger than a bag of groceries, but also wanted to get as good or better gas mileage as I was getting in the Impala. I wound up buying a 2008 Jeep Patriot 2WD yesterday, which I plan to use mainly for commuting to work for the next decade. However, my 15-year-old says she wants it when she goes off to college, so I may be in the market again around 2011...which should actually be a very good time to have some GM Card earnings built up with the Volt and many other new options out there by then.

I contemplated an Equinox this time, but with the better gas mileage and 0% financing on the Jeep, plus the lifetime powertrain warranty, I thought the Jeep was the way to go. So if my daughter drives off in the Jeep three years from now, I'll be back shopping with my GM Card earnings...and if I end up keeping the Jeep and we get her something new, I'll have enough credits on the GM Card that it'll surely steer us to a Chevy dealer.

I just submitted a classified ad for our local paper to run towards the end of next week, so we'll see what happens. While the Jeep gives us some versatility, I honestly doubt I'll be as happy with it as I have been with the Impala. Without a doubt it has been the best all-around car I've ever owned, and I already miss the comfort and visibility the Impala offers.
  • mwhopkinsmwhopkins Member Posts: 1
    My wife has a 2002 Chevy Impala. The DIC, heater/ac and cruise conrol have all started working "on-and-off" in the last few weeks. It began as an intermittent problem several weeks ago but has now graduated to primarily "off." I know on a previous Chevrolet the cruise not working was an indicator of a tail light being out but can find nothing in the owner's manual about this "feature" for the Impala (a function being dysfunctional as an indicator of something). Obviously all 3 are tied together, all either work or do not work (if the DIC is out, so are the other two functions). It does not seem tied to starting and turning off as the functions will suddenly come back on just driving down the road. The car has recently had the cad. converter and crankshaft sensor replaced. Any ideas? Is this a sensor that's out? Electrical? A common problem among Impala's (or chevy's).
    Sorry to see you go. We still have our 2k ls, 33,000 miles and still looks new.
    My father in law just bought an 08 impala LT. They come with nice options like the remote car starter from the factory. I got him a good deal, $100 over invoice plus there was a $1500 rebate. out the door with taxes for $22k.

Hey, I found my Impala pin set, did you ever find yours?
    I haven't found the pin set yet, but I've got to go through the garage in the next week or so and drag all the Christmas decorations out, so I'm planning to look in the obvious places out there and see if I squirreled it away out there somewhere. I've got a big storage bin out there with lots of clothes and such that have sentimental value, so my gut feeling is it's out there. That's the bad thing about buying a house, when I was in college it seems like I was always moving, and I could tell you where everything I had was located. The fact that we've been in this house for 9 years (and accumulated much more stuff since my college days) makes it difficult to put my fingers on things I don't use daily.

At least the Jeep is over two feet shorter than the Impala, so I'll have a little more room to work around it in the garage, so maybe I'll get things organized out there a little better. Of course on the other hand it was nice having the Impala with the bench seat, so my wife could get in on the driver's side and slide over, which she can't do in the Patriot...so I may be forced to clean out the garage no matter what.
  • freebsdfreebsd Member Posts: 2
    Hi,

Just a word of warning to anyone considering this model not to bother, best of paying a few extra dollars for a Honda or Toyota.

Tonight I will be picking up my car (2000 Impala) from the dealers repair shop, after shelling out $2000. This cost covers the following:

Headlight Dimmer Switch (Headlights didn't come on)
    ERG Sensor
    Transaxle Solenoid (the second time for this part too)
    Re-lubing of the steering shaft

This all related to cheap part and or piss poor engineering. It is easy to see why GM is now the number 2 auto maker, and I look forward to the day they close their doors forever.
    sounds like sour grapes to me. The [non-permissible content removed] cars are not that great as they are led on to be. They don't talk much about the toyota engine cooling problems and seized engines. They made the cooling passages to small. google it if you fdon't believe me. there had to be a lawsuit before they would admit it. With every car make and model, there are going to be a few that have problems. We have owned ours since feb 2000 and it has never been back to the dealer. I just changed the back pads and all 4 rotors are original.

Did you ever think it might be the dealer working on your car?
  • godsize71godsize71 Member Posts: 1
    i need help badly..my 01 impala fans keep running all the time from the start of the car til i turn it off...the temp gauge doesnt work but im sure its becuz it never gets heated up cuz of fans running..believe the bearings are going out of fans..does anyone know what it is? i removed the big square fuse and it stopped..obviously...but cant drive like that...please help thx
  • belmarcudabelmarcuda Member Posts: 1
    HAD SAME PROBLEM WITH HORNS...THREE TIMES ...FOUND INFO ON LINE...DEALER INSTALL A SHIELD ON HORNS TO KEEP WATER OUT...NOW THEY WORK FINE
  • jmorejmore Member Posts: 2
    I also have a 05 impala and having the same problem with my speedometer not only i don't know how fast I'm going but after driving my car for about 30 miles my transmission shifts really hard ,but if i turn my car off for a second and turn it back on it stops shifting hard for about another 30 miles. i took my car to a tranny shop and had a tranny flush and still didn't solve my problem, they told me i had to take it to a dealer ship so they can reset the computer but in reality i don't think that will take car of my problem...so my question is, is your car still having problems and any tip on what i can due on my own before i pay bigbucks at shops???.........thanks.. :sick:
  • jmorejmore Member Posts: 2
    i own a 05 impala and having problem with my speedometer not only i don't know how fast I'm going but after driving my car for about 30 miles my transmission shifts really hard ,but if i turn my car off for a second and turn it back on it stops shifting hard for about another 30 miles. i took my car to a tranny shop and had a tranny flush and still didn't solve my problem, they told me i had to take it to a dealer ship so they can reset the computer but in reality i don't think that will take care of my problem...so my question is, any tips on what i can due on my own before i pay bigbucks at shops???.........thanks.. oh yeah by the way this will be my last gm car i ever buy..but for now I'm stock with it....lol :sick:
  • dh271dh271 Member Posts: 3
    I just bought 2004 Impala this week. It has the 4-speed overdrive. Is it best to leave it in the overdrive position in slow city driving or is the "3rd gear" position same as regular drive?
  • klh213klh213 Member Posts: 1
    Change the Thermostat. I know, sounds wired, but thats what the problem is. I read this in a dozen other forums before doing it myself and it worked. It seems that the Thermostat sticks open and causes all kinds of greif with the computer on these things. Trust me it works, and it only cost $15 to try.

As for all the other issues I've had with this fine automobile:
    :lemon:
    Mass Air Flow sensors
    Bad rotors front and back (poor quality parts)
    Coupler on the steering shaft
    Tensioner pully ceased up (broke belt and left my wife stranded on interstate)
    Fan controls only work on two of the settings
    As I write this I am going to invetigate another issue (noise in left front) that I am sure will cost me.

I curse the day I bought this damn car!!!!!!!
    It's been a week now since I sold my 2000 Impala; I ordered it in January of 2000 and took delivery in March of that year. Almost 8 years and 114k miles later I sold it...not because there was anything wrong with it, but really more of a timing issue. My oldest child turns 16 in 2009, and will be off to college in 2011. I realized if I didn't get myself a new car now (and get it paid off quickly), I'd likely find myself faced with two (or three) car payments at one time. I bought a new vehicle in late November, and put the Impala in the paper locally, but only got a few calls from people who wanted to know if I'd take half what I was asking. I'd pretty much resigned myself to hanging onto the car for another year and letting my daughter drive it when she turned 16, but I'd also listed it on craigslist, and I ended up getting one response from that listing that lead to me selling the car last week.

As a long-time poster to this forum and an admitted GM-flag-waver, I have to admit that I strayed from GM fold this time around, but here's my logic. Since I tend to keep a car for 8-10 years, I wanted to make certain whatever I got would be an improvement over the Impala in terms of gas mileage. I also wanted something with a little more versatility in terms of hauling ability. I ultimately narrowed my choices to the Equinox, the Jeep Patriot, and the Nissan Rogue. The Equinox didn't really offer an improvement in gas mileage over the Impala, and knowing it is due a remodel in the next year or two, I scratched it off my list. I never actually test drove the Rogue, and it's probably a nice vehicle, but it just wasn't a look that appealed to me. The Jeep ultimately came out on top, with better city gas mileage, good maneuverability, and a lifetime powertrain warranty (though it isn't transferable).

There are so many exciting things just over the horizon at GM, I'm sure my next vehicle will be a GM product (plus I'll have more GM Card points saved up too, having cashed in over $3,500 last year on a GMC Sierra for my parents). One of two things will happen to my Jeep; either my oldest daughter will commandeer it when she goes off to school, or I'll drive it as long as I did the Impala, but then I'll probably keep it around instead of selling it (since, if the lifetime warranty proves to be valid, I have an incentive to keep it). By having a trucklet in my stable, and (hopefully) having an empty nest by that point, I can see myself in a Chevy Volt or some other hyper-efficient hybrid commuter vehicle.

In any event, since I first got involved with this forum back when I ordered my Impala and I wanted to know how long it typically took from order date to delivery date, I felt obligated to post somewhat of a farewell here. This forum definitely played a huge role in the pleasure I got out of owing that car, and I'll probably still lurk around and offer advice from time to time. I made a point of giving the new owner a copy of the 2001 Impala brochure that had my quote in it, which was a direct result of being involved in this forum. Fortunately he only lives about a mile from here, so I hope to see it every now and then.

Oh well, my laptop battery is about to die, so I'm going to hit "post" and say farewell for now. While I know lots of people here complain about their cars, I can honestly say I enjoyed my Impala more than I have any other car I've owned thus far, and if I knew then everything I know about the car now, I would still buy it, warts and all. I wanted my kids to have a traditional American sedan experience, and I'm glad they did. Hopefully they'll carry on the tradition with their kids, and hopefully they'll have an Impala to do it in.
    I am also one the the original members on this site. We still have our 2k ls purchaced in Feb 2000, it has 33,000 miles on it. My daughter turns 16 in 6 years and I am sure she will want the impala. great car. Still has the original front brake pads and rotors.

I am also in that 2001 impala book. did you ever find your pin set?

take care.
    I haven't found the pin set yet, but I'm missing several other items that are collectible/sentimental in value...which makes me think they all got stored away somewhere as opposed to accidentally getting tossed out. We're due a major house/garage cleaning before too long, so I hope to systematically go through the house and de-clutter the place somewhat, and I'm sure everything will turn up.

If I remember correctly I got 45-50k miles out of my first set of brake pads, and didn't replace the original rotors until this past summer at @ 111k miles. I probably could have gotten by with getting them resurfaced and using the originals, but it was easier to buy new pads and rotors and install them at one time versus running them back and forth.

Mine was a base model that I pretty much loaded out with everything except leather; I splurged on the car at the time because I had a substantial amount saved up on my GM Card, so it wasn't like I was spending "real" money. I miss many of the features that car had on it versus my current vehicle though...things like auto headlights, auto volume control on the radio, RDS, split heat/ac controls, etc. etc. Timing-wise it just didn't make sense to keep it around at this point, as my wife's '03 Accord will likely pass down to my oldest daughter in a year or so, and then whatever my wife gets at that point will pass down to my 10-year-old in 6 years. My plan is to drive the Jeep throughout all that activity, and then when the kids have left home keep it around for running errands and such, and reward myself with something really nice (our house will be almost paid off by that point too!). I know the landscape will have changed dramatically over 10 years, but I'm thinking something equivalent to a CTS might be about right. Or maybe a base model Corvette...something practical like that!
  • iowacowsiowacows Member Posts: 1
    My car is about to turn over 100k. What type of maintenance should I be doing? I am thinking: transmission oil and filter change, new spark plugs, and coolant flush. Should I change the plug wires? Anything else? Thanks
    If you haven't replaced the serpentine belt you should probably do that as well. Fuel filter and air filters (including the cabin filter if you have one) are worth checking too.

I had the plugs replaced on mine this summer, but left the original wires intact (they didn't have any signs of problems, and they snake all over the place). I was trying a set of "Halo" spark plugs that were supposed to increase gas mileage, but I almost immediately started having a missing problem. I then went ahead and changed the wires thinking that might be the problem, but it didn't help. Finally I got exasperated and bought a standard set of replacement plugs (iridium, I think) and replaced them myself...that's when I discovered my #2 plug was broken, which was the cause of my misfire problem. After I put on the regular plugs, I had no other problems, and I feel certain replacing the plug wires made no difference, and if I'd know about the broken plug initially I would not have replaced them.
  • 1buddy1buddy Member Posts: 1
    Need to know how to change out the light switch in a 03 Impala
  • arswitzerarswitzer Member Posts: 1
    When I turn off my windshield wipers they stay upright on my windshield instead of laying down what do I need to do?
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Hi, nosirrahg and 2k_impala_ls. I just checked this forum after 5-6 years off, and was surprised to see some folks I recognize. I still have my '01 LS (Halloween 2000 build, brought home 11/15/2000). 89000 miles, and she looks, runs, and rides like new. I do have a body control gremlin of some sort - replaced the BCM once but didn't fix the problem. Locks don't always operate with the shifter and sometimes I lose contact with the wheel sensors causing a false low tire light. Pulling the battery cables and touching them together to drain the memory always resets it. This is required about once a year.

One thing that jacks me is that the dealer didn't program the fog lights back into the new BCM so I don't have use of them anymore. They want a bunch of money to add them back. Bastages.

I've also had my ISS lubed twice but I think they got it right the second time and I never paid for it.

It hasn't been problem free but it's a great car. I'd get another one well before getting a Toyota or Honda or Nissan or Mazda or Subaru or ........

Later
    Thanks for checking in; glad to know you're still enjoying your Impala. I've been without mine now for a couple of months, though I continue to keep up in this forum out of habit. I'm not unhappy with my replacement vehicle (Jeep Patriot), but it definitely doesn't feel as substantial or comfortable as my Impala did. On the other hand I'm averaging almost 24 MPG in my daily commute, where the Impala got around 20...so I guess that's the price we'll all pay for improved gas mileage in the future.

While I took a leap away from GM this time around, in a few years I'll have a more substantial credit saved on my GM Card points, and I'll also have a daughter who will be going to college who likes the Jeep, so I might be in the market again around 2011/12 if she takes the Jeep to school with her...and there should be some interesting things out there from GM by that point, both in terms of style and powertrain.

I do wonder where the Impala might go next design-wise; if the RWD version that was in the works on the G8 platform is indeed dead, could that means the Impala will fade away in a couple of years (since the larger-than-before Malibu could take its place), if they'll freshen the current FWD version to get a few more years out of it, or if there's something else in the works.

Oh well, I guess we'll wait and see. Still, looking back at the cars available to me over the past 8 years when I had the Impala, I can't think of another I'd have rather had. Like yours, mine wasn't problem free, but I don't think I've enjoyed owning a car more. I think part of that has to do with the community that formed around the car here at Edmunds back when the car was first introduced, which is probably one of the reasons I still lurk around here.
  • 04impala04impala Member Posts: 1
    I just noticed that annoying squeaking sound under my hood over the weekend. It goes away after a while. But is sounds serious, I'm going to the mechanic but I need some input. Also theres seem to be some fluids splash all over my belt.
  • iammattiammatt Member Posts: 3
    OK so last week i purchased a 2001 impala ls with 83,000 miles on it. yesterday i got on the interstate and when i hit 65 and the whole car started to shake. new tires on the front are new not so new on rear. i am takeing the car to get looked at on saturday. but was wondering if any1 knew pre-existing problems like this that have occured? any input would be great.
    Might be power steering; when mine got low on fluid it got noisy but I didn't notice a huge difference in the way the car drove...might be worth checking (and it's a pain to get to, BTW).
    Changing the coolant certainly wouldn't hurt; if I were you I'd probably err on cautious side and go ahead and get it changed.
    where is the PS resivoir located? i couldn't find it.

what would the coolant have to do with the steering and the shaking with the car?
    I was replying to someone else about the coolant, so it's not related...sorry about the confusion.

The PS reservoir is located on the back side of the engine (towards the firewall) on the passenger side. Mine started making a whining noise that varied with the speed of the engine; I traced the sound to the power steering pump (which as I recall sits somewhat above the reservoir) and was afraid it was going out...so I took it to a shop, and all I needed was a fluid top-off. I'd never even seen the reservoir before, or I'd have checked myself.
  • kdconodkdconod Member Posts: 53
    I have the apparently common gas gauge problem. It was jumping around last week. One night I thought I had a half tank, then driving to work it said 1/8, then back up to 1/4. Next thing I knew it, it was down to 0! That's when I ran out gas!

There was a post on this a couple years back, but the links provided for fixing it are now dead. Anyone have any info on this problem?
  • cnwcnw Member Posts: 105
    Just a suggestion--start with the basics of tire/wheel balance. The fronts are new and should have been balanced; that doesn't mean they were correctly balanced OR that they haven't thrown a wheel weight. Take them back to the place that put the new tires on--and have them check the rear wheels/tires for balance as well. Years ago, they suggested that new tires get re-balanced at approx 500 miles because the tire can actually move on the wheel during that initial "setting" period. If balance on all wheels is correct, the next steps are to check for out of round tires ( they really aren't perfect circles), out of round wheels, a combination of both where the out of round is additive instead of offsetting, and lastly a bent/wobbling wheel. Start with the basics; it's usually something simple. Clark
    thanks to every one with there suggestions im taking it up to priority chevrolet tomorow where i bought the car from and hoping they fix it free of charge.....if not im gonna raise hell!!!