Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    Glad you're doing better, want to guess what area of the hospital I work in-
    Endoscopy! (I even know what gastroenteritis is). Eating out can be risky but
    as long as you avoid those raw egg creations and the mayo stuff on the salad
    bar for hours unrefridgerated, along with staying to well cooked meats you are usually fairly
    safe. Not as true for the European folks out there! I guess I'm too new
    to build my wish list for Impala future- not voting for 4x4 yet- costly to repair
    and I rarely used it in the 9 years I had the Explorer. I think the traction
    control and ABS is a better way to go for me.
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    00impala-Don they do not specify 2 or 4 Dr. for the GP exhaust. I'm pretty sure it would fit our cars if the stock GP system fits yours. The Borla system came out first, before the cheaper revised GP system. I wanted the Borla, but for a stainless steel system for half the price, I'll go with the SLP.

I'm selling my '84 GN, one of my neighbors wants it real bad, even though it's not running and needs a lot of work. But the body is not rusted or smashed, plus the interior is nicer than any other year of GN's. I'll use the money to get my exhaust, shift improver kit, stereo upgrade(speakers, subwoofer) and maybe new wheels.

duraflex-I rea an article recently regarding exhaust systems on late model vehicles that basically stated that if your engine only has one outlet/cat. conv., you can get optimum performance with a good single muffler and smooth bend pipes of proper dimension. The advantage of duals at a higher price are looks and better sound. On most new trucks/SUVs, and ccertain model cars, a single muffler with nice exhaust tips can look pretty nice, but for other cars like ours, the duals look much better. As far as the Borla system, to my knowledge it is split dual tips(dual exhaust w/ twin slant cut round, rolled tips. The SLP system has either duals with a single slant tip like the MC SS Hight Sport package, which may be by SLP, or twin dual tips, SLP says their exhaust systems are known for.

cookie01-What kind of wheels/tires and size did you get. I think the factory LS wheel are fine until I saw the ones on the Impala prototype in 17". Same as the MC SS High Sport wheel in 16" w/ red bowtie logos on the center caps. I normally would not get new wheels unless I go to 17/18", but might with those wheels, when I can get them.

teo-Glad to hear your doing fine now. Like you said, we have to be careful in food handling, or just being careful about airborne, bloodborne pathogens and all those others germs we can contact out there.

I agree about the IP in the MC. I was miffed when I found that we paid more for an LS than a fully loaded LS, and don't get the 140MPH speedo and 3:29 gears with higher top speed, dual echaust, RSA tires and the voltmeter, oil pressure gauges. I think that cluster will fit in our dash though.

Like I said earlier, A police package LS with the speedo, gears, added gauges, wheels/tires and exhaust from the High Sport MC SS package with a read bowtie on a blackout grill and added emblems would make a decent SS even without the S/C or V8, just scrap the '01 rear black bumper insert. JACOB
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    yes, they performed the endoscopy from the mouth down....Actually after I somehow swallowed the cable with the TV camera (Yes I can't believe I did this as my numb throat almost didn't want to respond)the Valium like sedation medicine knocked me out instantly after the cable was swallowed..I don't have memory recollection of the 15 to 20 minutes that the whole procedure took...pretty amazing. I woke up in recovery like if nothing had happened! I admire you guys that work in Endoscopy and surgery procedures in general..very interesting but kinda scary at the same time.

Everything checked out OK, thankfully.

Well enough of the *gory* details....
    I hve to tell everyone- we don't give doggie bags for the unused drugs. Versed is
    a great discovery- you can breathe and co-operate but forget it afterwards.!
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I found it on ebay for 5 bucks. some guy in seattle had it. it has a nice 3 ring binder with a picture in the front and pages of info and 6 slides withpictures of a silver ls just like mine
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    I'm going to buy a new car in May and am debating between the Impala (base) and the Taurus. I'm wondering what the major problems are with the Impala. I have a Pontiac now and it has a marginal cooling system. Living in the South, that's a real problem in the summer. Does anyway have any input with the Impala cooling system along with any other problems.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    My wish list for improvements to the 2002 Impala LS:

1) Make LS package comes standard with moonroof.
    2) Body side moldings with matching paint (not black) for LS.
    3) Soft leather all around the seats.
    4) Coin holder.
    5) Trunk lid pops wide open when ejected.
    6) BIG chrome front grille.
    7) 17" wheels.

Besides all the aesthetics, I love this car! It actually drives as well as my sister's Infiniti Q45.
    The Impala LS already comes with a nice removable coin holder. The coin holder is found inside the console compartment. Another nice little touch in this car is the tissue paper holder under the console lid/armrest.

Aside from the *small* details that I would like to see changed on this car I must also add the chintzy (and rather useless) glove box door compartment and the flimsy latch/strike plate mechanism.

The rest of the car can be left pretty much like it is, I REALLY like it. Please, the last thing that I would want to see the Impala becoming is another Honda Accord/Toyota Camry/Ford Taurus copycat. We already have enough of those bland, boring appliances in our crowded streets. There are some touches that visually set this car apart from the mainstream vehicles and I find this perfectly appealing.

Stnel:::: I live in hot and humid Miami Florida. I can assure that the cooling system has worked flawlessly even on hot 100F days in bumper to bumper traffic, A/C on and a full load. After 14,500 miles on my '00 LS, the engine, transmission, brakes and electrical system have worked better than a Swiss clock. I will be finally upgrading to a new '01 Impala LS with leather seats and OnStar this week.

The '00 model year Impala had issues with the Aluminum engine cradle (A TSB is available for the fix) and the Intermediate Steering Shafts. If you have the time or are willing to go back to previous posts, you can give yourself a better idea of the real world reliability of this car. So far it has been much better than average.

If you are planning on buying a new Impala, a 2001 model will be your best bet.

Go and get one, you won't regret it.

Good luck.
    Thanks for the info on the Impala. My Pontiac is 10 years old so if GM had problems with cars overheating easily with their early 90 models, they've fixed it by now. Miami may be the only place in U.S. that's hotter than New Orleans in the summer. The only thing that worried me was the overheating. I've read some of the posts and they've answered some questions. Thanks again.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Here I thought Arizona was warm in the summer time. ((-;

teo , good to hear you are doing OK. Hospitals are no fun. Food poisoning can be very serious!

On turkey day in 1999 I was in the hospital for chest pains that I had experienced for 4-5 days. It felt more like some one's hands were squeezing my heart very tightly.

A radioactive dye test showed trouble with the lower sections of the heart.

The procedure (forget the name) where a probe is inserted into the groin area, then up into the heart for direct release of dye was done. I was in the small percent of "false positives" for the radioactive dye test that showed trouble. My heart is fine, but 3 days in the hospital aged me 10 years. ((-;

Truns out my chest wall surrounding the heart was inflamed and causing my symtoms.......thank gawd!

again, glad to hear all is OK.

Now onto Impalas........ we are still wondering like others how the 2002 Imp's design will change.

About 6k miles on our shim material TSB. Still quiet in the cradle mounts.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Since I live up north, I can't speak too much about the effectiveness of the cooling system because there isn't nearly as much demand here. However, I'd read 500 or so posts on this site and then some on the "Tortoise". Not sure what you'll find, but I am really surprised at how many people on this site love their Impalas like I do, and how few complain (particularly about major stuff). I think this forum is a great way to learn.

I bought my Impala before I started reading this forum. Had I read it ahead of time, I'm pretty sure I'd have made the same decision.

My '01 LS is a work of art. I wouldn't change a heckuva lot if I could.

Honestly, I know a lot of people with "Tortoises" that they think are great and have a bazillion miles on them. I just think the Impala is even better. Also, keep Onstar in mind. That was a big selling point for me. Nobody else has anything like that yet.
    I don't care about any product with the blue oval on it. The Taurus is a bland cheap copycat of the appliance Japanese cars. The Impala is obviously a cut above it in all respects and it is in a class by itself.

Fix or Repair Daily...no way!
    I've pretty much decided on the Impala. The Pontiac I have now has been the best car that I've ever owned. It's 10 years old with 150,000 miles and the problems have been few considering its age. The main problem is the marginal cooling system. The temperature goes up quickly in stop and go traffic in just 15 or so minutes. That was the only thing steering me away from another GM car. According to the Consumer Reports, the Impala gets a better rating for safety and reliabily. I just couldn't go another summer with another car that overheats easily. Fortunately, that's no longer a problem.
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    I just discovered Edmunds discussion groups. I really liked a test drive of the 2001 Impala, but after reading Carpoint's user ratings about the front cradle and steering problems I got scared, but after reading that these problems no longer exist on the 01 model, I'm going back for another test drive. I want the base suspension, but am worried about the 3.4 engine. Is it worth it to spend about $2000 more to get the 3.8, and then I would replace the coil springs with the base model ones? I don't think I need the extra power of the 3.8, I'm just concerned about reliability (I owned a 1995 3.1 V6 with internal clacking/ticking noises and have never had a GM product since). Is the 3.4 just a larger version of the 3.1? Has GM remedied the past problems? Thanks!
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Well my new 2001 Impala LS with 1325 miles received its first oil change. I also had the oil plug replaced with a magnetic plug. While the car was up on the lift, I took a look underneath along with my mechanic. He was very impressed with the engine cradle saying how strong it was, and I noticed that all sides of the cradle were welded. He checked all fluid levels, but made one negative comment. He didnt like where the power steering box was located. It is located all the way down at the bottom of the fire wall directly under the engine coolant reservoir. He said that Cheverolet should redesign its location and raise it up so the owner could do a fluid level check without having to dip all the way down. I happened to look for myself, and at first I couldnt even find the cap to the power steering pump it was so difficult to see, and trying to reach it behind the engine block I found to be very dangerous. After the oil change my mechanic took it for a test drive and loved the handling and performance of the car. My love for this car grows more and more deeper each day.
  • hoowahoowa Member Posts: 15
    Captainj: The 3.8 engine upgrade includes anti-lock brakes (which you should get anyway), the Sport Touring suspension (same as the LS’s), traction control, tire-inflation monitor, Custom Aluminum wheels and Goodyear touring tires. The MSRP for these is $1331. The invoice is $1185. I’d call up a dealer’s service department and ask about the feasibility of changing the suspension. Both are supposed to be very reliable engines, but the 3.8 has a stellar reputation. I’ve rented seven different bases with the 3.4 engine and haven’t heard any odd noises from them. They are more fuel efficient and just about as powerful as the 3.8. I went with the base with the 3.8 because it was only about $700 more than the base with just the anti-lock brakes.

Magnetized Oil Plugs: I realize that some manufacturers install them, but is it possible that the plug will magnetize small metal particles and they will get “stuck” on parts of the engine where one might not want them? When you pass a piece of iron through a magnet’s field, that piece of iron will become magnetic.

Extended Warranty (brake-down insurance): I don’t have a problem with a short warranty. They’d have to raise the price of the car to lengthen it. I just think of the extended warranty as another option on the car. If you want a longer warranty, you can pay for it. Though, it generally doesn’t make sense to buy insurance for things you can reasonably afford to pay for. Life insurance, catastrophic health insurance, yes, to fix a transmission, no. It is especially not worth it if you take good care of your car. Also the cost is greater than the amount you pay for the warranty. You’re giving up money for something that won’t show a benefit for at least three years, if ever. You could have invested that money and the return you gave up is an additional cost.

Wish list: Dual side-impact airbags. Dual-stage front airbags. Padding for knees in case of an accident. Night vision. Forward-adjustable head restraints. Safety-belt pretensioners. Some of these things are very inexpensive, I don’t know why they don’t have them!
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Looks like you might have composed your post off-line with Microsoft Word - apparently the ascii character for the apostrophe is non-standard, and it gets garbled in your post.

If you use something like Notepad instead, that won't happen.

Hope this helps.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    The notion that it is not as hot here in Arizona as in N.O. or FL, hate to get defensive about my state but I will match up our summertime against anyone! I had a high temp of 124 degrees on my outside monitor last July when the average temp for that month is 105. Now I know the argument is always about humidity but if the temp is 98 and humidity is 80% and it makes it "feel" like 110 how is that worse than 112 for days on end? I know I know, what's that got to do with Impala, well I've been pretty happy with the cooling system on the car, even this past summer I don't recal ever seeing the temp gauge go much past the 160 range. Ran nice and cool, I expect more of the same this summer.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    The Impala includes the same type of brackets as the 1989 Grand Prix that I had, and the 1996 Monte Carlo,(all W Bodies since 1988) they have the 2 black brackets that you see when you open the hood, you take out the 2 bolts, use a rod and rotate the engine foward away from the firewall and replace one of the bolts to hold it in place while you access the rear side of the engine that is up against the firewall, you move the engine about 5 inches and that allows you to access the 3 spark plugs and my geuss the power steering resivior. I have done it with success on the GP and Monte Carlo, no way to get to the spark plugs if you don't, Maybe you could get them from under the car, but that is what the 2 black brackets are for that you see when you open the hood, Some people use the saying that they allow the engine to drop downwards in a frontal collision, that may be true, but they are to allow the engine to be moved slightly to gain access to the firewall area. Don
    Actually, when I made the comment about New Orleans being second to Miami as the hottest places in the country, it slipped my mind about the Southwest. I lived in Florida for five years when I was younger and Louisiana for many years and was drawing from my own experience. I've never been to the Southwest. I imagine a car would overheat faster in the Southwest because it wouldn't factor in the heat index.
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    On the 3.4L engine it is right on top. You see it below in orange letters. I knew there must be at least one advantage of having the base engine. Seriously, although I have not done a side-by-side comparison of the two engines, I would imagine the 60 degree V of the base leaves somewhat more room to work than the 90 degree 3.8L. I can see the rear spark plugs but I do not know if I would try to get them out without tilting the engine as described above. Reminds me of the 1980 or so Monza with the V8 option. Remove engine from mounts to get out the rear spark plugs. Sometimes I wonder if the designers and the engineers ever speak to one another.

many auto manufacturers have testing facilities in Arizona for HOT weather testing. Some have been here since the 1950's, mayb earlier. GM says they are closing the Mesa AZ proving grounds and moving to Mexico. Although I seem to remember hearing that the land deal in Mexico fell through.

We often see the disguised new model autos running around the Phoenix metro area. I saw a covered up little car last month, it was "right" hand drive and the WHOLE interior was covered up from the bottom of the windows down! Only the area around the driver was open where he was sitting.

Did anyone ever respond about an Impala station wagon as a new model GM should build? Or are wagons just dead with the mini van and SUV over kill ??

I have seen a few new wagons from Ford, Saturn, etc.
    Those testing centres are secretive. On the other end of the temperature scale, there are facilities here in Ontario where cold testing is done. I know Saturn did some trials there. But, they were never smart enough (where do the marketing people get their degrees?) to put a block heater in their cars for the Canadian market. We have -10-20F weather. It is an option for goodness sakes. As are floor mats. While I liked the two Saturns I had (1995 and 1998), these low-cost items really annoyed me. What was particularly galling was the optional cost floor mats. They came with the dealer's logo on them!! I paid for their advertising. I think Saturn has lost it and I say that with regret. The Impala has both items as standard. Good for Chevrolet.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    As seen in a recent edition of the Arizona Republic: TEST DRIVERS-Automobile Must have clean MVR past three years. Jobsite is in the Northwest Valley 1st and 2nd shifts available. For Immediate consideration contact...

I have not contacted them concerning this job opportunity but I always see those test vehicles around town as you do Crosley. I notice they travel in groups of three or more though have you? I must say I have given that job a thought since I'm changing careers in a few weeks.

stnel, didn't take offense to leaving us out. I lived in New England for a short time and used to be amused when people said how hot it was. I also was in the Phillipines while in the navy and have extensive experience in humid weather. I can take any heat and prefer it to being cold at anytime. My hat is off to you Canadian (of which I'm a decendant of)folks who freeze on a regular basis, I couldn't do it.
    Does anyone have some tasteful pinstriping on their Impala? I was thinking of black on the Galaxy Silver. Would appreciate some pics. Just hit " image" after your Photopoint folder photo entry. Without quotation marks for posting here. Thanks.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    If I had to choose, I'd go for 115 in the Arizona shade before I'd go for 90F and 90% for a heat index of 110 in the SouthEast. I'd rather be dry and blazing hot, suckin' on a quart of ice-water to keep hydrated, rather than festering in my own wet, smelly, stagnant sweat.

I don't know how the differences shake out for the car's A/C system though. In humid areas, condensation in the evaporator puts a big load on the system, where in dry areas the raw temperature works against you.

I'd ask around amongst folks who have the 2000 models in your locality, and see how they like their A/C's. Seems to me all automakers would have good A/C's, but any car can still have major design defects.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    The Chevy dealer I visit often when I'm in PA (bought my Suburban there) has pin stripes added to every Impala they get. They use a fine double stripe and it looks really nice. I've been considering having them do my Bonneville some day. They get $99 for the aftermarket item. Your idea of black is good for the silver paint - here's a suggestion - how about a dark red stripe? Depends on your preferences.

Ken
  • captainjcaptainj Member Posts: 31
    Will they make an Impala SS? How can they not!? I'm surprised they don't have one now, like with the supercharged 3.8, a no-brainer. I think they should put in the Northstar 275 hp though. I think the 3.8 should be standard on the base, the LS should get the supercharged 3.8, and an SS model should get the Northstar. I bet no one will disagree with me here.

Well, I tested the 3.4. It definitely does not perform like the 3.8. Maybe the axle gearing makes it a little slower as well. I think the steering should be lighter/quicker for the base model (afterall, it's supposed to be for everyday driving, not racing). I think the ride should be smoother, it's smooth and handles bumps and all, but it doesn't feel like "smooth". I almost think the sport suspension feels smoother, even though it's stiffer on bumps, it doesn't have as much 'jounciness' to it. I may be totally wrong, but I'm guessing that the base suspension actually needs softer springs, I think the current ones are in between sport and luxury, so they do not give as smooth a feeling as they could. I'm just guessing. How fussy am I for a <$20k car? I saw an ad for a total base for $17,800. I think it totally beats Taurus (only having sat in one though--no legroom) and Lumina, I'd choose it over the current Camry's (very stiff suspension), Accords (not sure), and Maximas (great engines but very stiff suspension) too.

So, I'm going to hold off on buying one for now, until they have an SS, then I won't be able to resist. But maybe I'll change my mind.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    I once had a Pontiac Sunbird with the turbocharged engine. I swear if you just looked at it wrong it would overheat on you. After changing the sensor that controlled the operation of the electric radiator fan several times. I found out that GM had a known problem with these sensors and issued a new revised part number. I unknowingly was helping them get rid of their old bad NOS parts. I ended up getting an aftermarket electronic fan controller from some speed magazine. It contained a pencil like probe that you inserted into the fins in the radiator at the point where the heated water comes from the engine. I then wired it into the car in parallel with the existing fan relay so either control circuit would activate the fan. The control unit also had a minitature knob or control to set what temperature you wanted the fan to turn on at. Presto!! All the overheating problems were solved.

Frank
    That blackish, graphite trim does get faded quickly. Other than Armor-All, are there other products you recommend to brighten (i.e. darken) it up?
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I'm going to be using the Zaino Bros system on my Impala when it arrives in May. One of their products is Z16-Perfect Tire Gloss. It claims to be great for all exterior trim, tires, weatherstripping, etc. Everyone on the Zaino Bros discussion group swears by the entire product line so this might be worth looking at. www.zainobros.com (or www.car-fanatic.com for us Canadians)
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    We have the base model with ther 3.8 , and nothing against the 3.4 , but the 3.8 really hauls !! , and all the other stuff you get with the engine are well worth it , it all works great together , now if you compare the 3.4 v6 to other sedans base model engines , the 3.4 begins to look pretty good , taurus 3.0 - 155 hp, camry 2.2 4cyl -- 150 hp I think , impala 3.4 - 180 hp , and better gas mileage than any of its base model competitors .... it looks good, But throw in the 30 year old 3.8 .... and it blows the dandruff off everything but the 5-speed Maxima , but the camry v6 , taurus duratec, crownvic, intrepid 3.5 , maxima ( automatic ),they don't have a chance at the hand of the 3800 it'll eatem all... hehehehe (~:
    I am ready for spring. The second photo shows last year's results. Cannot wait to try it on the Impala.

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Thanks for those shots - love to see it in person - and my 8 yr old son wants you to know "It's COOL!" I bet you have fun at the classic car meets.

Ken
    Surely we are speaking of family, four-door sedans. What is 20hp between brands? The thought of a Taurus lining up at a red light against an Impala gives me the heebie-jeebies. All kidding aside, the 3.8L is a very strong engine for its size. My neighbour has the Pontiac Bonneville SSE supercharged version and I swear it is quicker than my 1979 Corvette. For my day-to-day car I will live with the 3.4L. Does everything I want to do very nicely. I was meaning to get to the local Library this weekend to check Consumers Reports on reliability records for the 3.4 and 3.8. Does anyone have these? Please post if yes. Thanks.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I have seen the consumer report marks for the impala , it doesnt give a break down of 3.4 / 3.8 it just says Chevy Impala , it got all perfect marks , except for one thing which was half of a red circle still good , but the rest of the marks were perfect . thanks-----------mattmcdill
    Yes, the Wife and I enjoy the Corvette. I have had it for 15 years. It is a money pit but a really nice drive on a Sunday afternoon in the summer. And you know, the young people, some very young, give me the thumbs up when we drive by. Somehow, and I have never figured this out, they recognize a 23-year-old car that is much older than they are. In their language; Hey Man, cool Corvette. Must be TV<g>. The driveway will be all Chev this summer with the new Impala!!

http://albums.photopoint.com/j/AlbumIndex?u=223638&a=11779932&f=0.

• kschossowkschossow Member Posts: 1
    Could you give me some more info on the job?
    I have seen it before and was interested in it.
    I did a search of their online ads but couldn't find it. www.azcentral.com
    Thought I heard a rattle in the front of my new Imapla the other day. turned off the
    radio and investigated the source- the snaps on my jacket! Still loving this car
    and it just turned 1000 miles.
    A friend worked at the Mesa GM proving grounds. He told me after about two weeks of driving 8-9 hours a day he got bored and tired of the job. He quit in less than 2 months.

Heat...... a sorta funny story. The wife and I were in Dearbon MI at the Ford Museum(sp?)in 1997. I was dutifully holding my wifes purse while she was in the ladies room. I was standing in the sun and this was in September as I recall. It was in the high 80's or low 90's & humid.

Everybody was standing in the shade except me. One lady finally asked me " how can you stand in the sun like that?" I responded :" I'm from Arizona, this is not hot to me"

You could see several people's faces change to a smile to my answer and nod their heads. At least I thought it was funny. ((-;

Interesting info on the Saturn cars. The wife asked me what I thought of them for a replacement of the Impala. I told her she would not be happy with the size of the car.

Hopefully this summer we may see some 2002 Impala fotos. If they change the design enough we may buy one. We will wait to see what discounts they offer for rebates or what ever first. That would prolly put us into 2002 before that happens.

34k miles on our LS and the front brakes look fine. I need to clean the throttle body on the engine, I believe it's recommended every 30k miles or so.........
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I read this in the Cincinnati Post yesterday under Classic Cars for Sale "CROSLEY COMMAND CAR '42, Orig. Driven by Powell Crosley. (513) 703-4734" Thought maybe you would be interested, they didn't elaborate or include the price., Don
  • shaminoshamino Member Posts: 60
    I have a '00 LS and I was wondering where the coin holder is located?? Is it inside the box where you put the CDs? When I took delivery of the car, there was no coinholder. :( How does it look like?? Can someone scan a pic and show me? I think my dealer might have ripped me off and took the coinholder! ugh.. :(
    Shamino:::: The coin holder on the center console/bucket seats equipped Impalas is located right inside the console compartment where you store your CD's or other items. Since the coin holder can be removed, it is very likely that your dealer forgot to put in there while they were preparing the car for delivery. If you look closely, there are two plastic *rails* or indentations inside the console compartment (Facing front) and that is where the coin holder slides and locks in place. Very nice feature by the way. The Coin holder *holds* $.25, $.10 and $.05 American coins. I am sure it hould work the same for Canadian coins.
    Request it from your dealer, but don't let go for much longer. If is not there or it is missing your warranty will cover it with no problems. Good luck.

Stenel::: Excellent choice about going with the Impala. You'll be a very happy camper with this car! Enjoy and once you get it, please keep coming back with feedback/questions/comments. Enjoy that new car aroma!.

Other comments::: Due to the advent of the '03 Mercury Marauder (a.k.a. Grand Marquis), I am sure that GM will rethink their strategy to bring the Impala SS back next year. I hope that GM reliazes the need to have a *niche* lower priced high performance sedan in their lineup to confront the likes of the Ford dinosaurs.
    teo - I went to the Chevy and Ford dealerships yesterday and there were only 2 Impalas on the Chevy lot while 10 Taurus's on the Ford lot. Don't know what kind of deal I can get on the Impala. There are other dealerships to go to and by May things may change. The two Impalas on the lot were base (3.4 L). Most people seem to buy the LS so maybe I can get a good deal on the Base anyway.

platour - The two items that got the second highest marks were electrical and integrity. The only sedans that I saw getting the highest mark on electrical were the Japanese cars--Camry, Accord, Maxima.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I took my 01 Impala LS to the dealership today, and got an oil change. I told them that the Fuel Used meter on the DIC is always off by 2 gallons. (Does anyone else have this problem?) They told me that the limitations where between GM's standards.

Here are a couple of pics of my baby

http://content.communities.msn.com/ChrButsPics/PhotoAlbum

• iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Ford dinosaurs

is that why GM killed Oldsmobile? so they don't have any dinosaurs left? ;0
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Nice photos of your vette. What do you mean by the phrase your car is a money pit? Please explain. In the photo of the polishing products, are those black cans in the background Marvel Mystery Oil? What is that stuff used for and what's the advantages of using this oil? Thanks for your posted replies.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Toe, I am glad to hear that you are doing better. I can relate to your experience of thinking about things in a different light. About a week ago, I had severe pains near my left kidney. I was trying to pass a kidney stone. The Lord blessed me to pass this stone where I would not have to have the lithotrpsy performed on me. This is the third stone that I have had.

Has anyone else had else on this forum had problems with kidney stones?
  • bassfishing3bassfishing3 Member Posts: 1
    I'm new to the new car seen 2 vehicles are 1993. Tossed out the Cavalier and got a 2001 Impala. However I made cardinal sign and left 3 and 6 year old in car with key in Acc with radio on while unloading. Within 5 minutes 3 year old shifted the car without the brake. Dealership all say something broke but mechanic says this has been going on for years, No problems found. Anyone else have this occur? Does this sound safe? By the way NO KIDS allowed in car with keys anymore!!!!!!
    I knew my comment would attract your attention ;-)

Actually when I went to Washington D.C. I rode on a new Mercury Grand Marquis taxi cab. Very comfy rear seats, smooth ride, ample space upfront, cavernous trunk. It was nice for a cab.

While I recognize the virtues of these *dinosaurs* they are not exactly my cup of tea. But kudos for Ford to keep 'em alive for they do represent a great share of the commercial market and these operators really value these monsters.

The cabin ambiance is a bit too AARP for my tastes.