Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Thanks for your comments. Being sick and at the hospital is not fun at all. However, those are the few instances of life that make you come to a complete *stop* and take a look at life from a very different perspective. It is a very positive aspect of illness but the truth of the matter is that your health is a very precious treasure that has to be properly taken care for.

I have never had 'Kidney Stones' but I can imagine to be a very painful and uncomfortable experience. After my episode of sickness last week, I fully symphatize with your own troubles.

Hope you get well very soon.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Posts: 145
    Toe - Thanks for your concern. I am doing better. I had to have an ultra sound test performed on my left kidney last Monday because the radiologist thought that he had saw the possibility of a mass on my kidney. It turned out that there was no mass there. Thank the Lord.

Plat our - I hope I did not offend you by asking that personal question. It was not my intention.

May all have a great day.
  • stnelstnel Posts: 338
    Glad your ultra sound turned out. That's a scary waiting period that you have to go through. Do they still do the iodine test for kidneys anymore. I was supposed to get that iodine test for my kidneys a few years ago and just refused as I'm allergic to shellfish (which some claim is really the iodine in shellfish). The doctor did the ultra sound instead. I had asked the doctor about cranberry juice at the time and he said it worked somewhat but I believe the cranberry juice is used to kill bacteria. Don't know how that would fall into play with kidney stones.

Hope you stay well!
  • platourplatour Posts: 252
    No offense taken. Normally Fora such as this have a User's Profile option where members can post what they wish in terms of their backgrounds, interests, cars owned and e-mail addresses for off-line discussions if need be. The Impala Forum does not present those options, unfortunately. If you wish to see an example, go http://www.corvetteforum.com/. And that is the last of my Corvette posts. As bearmer noted, I did get off-topic.
  • baveuxbaveux Posts: 175
    How is the 2001.
    Craddle problem fixed ?
    Any other problem that I should worry about ?
    I'm almost ready to plunge, but i got burnt with the Malibu 97,and I do not want to repeat the experience.I am driving now a Lumina 99, and I have nothing to complain about, but the lease will end up soon.Anybody here own a Lumina and an Impala ? How they compare,Impala ride better or worse ? noisier or quieter on the road .
    If you can let me know....

Richard
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    you can put all of those sorts of things in the "And here's some more about me" part of your Town Hall profile - lots of our members do just that.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    Town Hall is very broad. You have established an Impala area. I was looking for an "Impala Owners" personal profile area. I do no need access to the multitude of members in Edmunds Auto. Many thanks!
  • mediumfrymediumfry Posts: 239
    I don't own a Lumina and Impala, but I've driven and ridden in many Luminas and own and Impala. My perception of the Lumina since 1990 has been that it's a nice car (ride, performance, handling, reliability, the whole deal). Therefore it doesn't surprise me that your '99 has been a good one.

I understand the Impala is slated to replace the Lumina (maybe even next year) and, after looking at them closely, they even have a lot of similar contours.

Anyway, if you liked the Lumina, I think you'll like the Impala even better. Ride is a hair stiffer and much more confident in the Impala LS than in the Luminas I've been in, the Impala can be gotten with the 3.8, and a host of other nice adders.

Only thing against getting an Impala is that you're likely to NOT want to get rid of it at the end of the lease. I always wait till something is pretty darn disappointing about a car before I trade it off, and I don't see that happening with my Impala anytime this decade, or probably next decade either.

Yee haw, post #2200. I feel lucky. 'Think I'm gonna blow the diet and have a bowl of ice cream or somethin'.
    That is a miserable situation that I have not followed at length. I hate to be simplistic but the car has to heat up; that is all there is to it. It will over-heat or under-heat. If you get no defrost on the front then that is an engine heat, thermostat problem. The heat on the back window is electrical on the grids, not related to engine heat. That is a red herring. The stumbling problem gets back to the the thermostat: if is wide open and never lets the various engine control systems to get up to speed then you will indeed encounter problems. But as others have said, even a cold engine should run properly with modern computer control systems, at least until warm-up. Again, I surmise you may have a wide-open thermostat. What temp does your gauge show? I cannot believe that if it is in the normal region that you do not have heat. I would have expected that a coolant problem would have sent you off in the other (heat) direction.
  • I owned a 98 Lumina base model. The only complaint I had about the Lumina is that I couldnt stretch my legs. I have a back problem that requires me to sit high and have my legs extended. I was never comfortable in the Lumina. After 30,600 I said goodbye to the car and traded it in for the 2001 Impala LS. The Impala LS is so comfortable and I sit high. My LS is a work of art. I am so happy to have made the trade. I suggest you go with the Impala LS baveux. My build date is 12/00, and I inspected the craddle, and its welded all around, no problems, no complaints. This is a great car.
  • bdimebdime Posts: 130
    Who really needs to know or is this another of those personal interest things?
    I believe there is also a seperate forum for women's issues in town hall but it
    rather bored me (more people arguing about the importance or non of colors
    when looking for a car)
    I saw that there was a forum on women's issues but was primarily interested in learning more about Impalas and Tauruses. I have no idea what color I'll be getting. Just have to see whatever is left on the lot. With the way the Impalas seem to sell, there probably won't be a big choice. Thanks for the info!
  • nick01nick01 Posts: 84
    Hi all..........This is my first post in Impala Owners. Ordered a new Impala march 7. It'll probably take 6-8 weeks to get it. I ordered the base with the 3.8 package, the leather package, and the 1SB equipment group. MSRP was $23,646.00. My price after all discounts and rebates was $20,159.00. I also ordered that Medium Bronzemist. I may regret that color..
  • xmannxmann Posts: 19
    My company has two dozen cars in its motor pool at the moment. Over the past 5 years we've had several Luminas. Never had a lemon, well liked by all the drivers and very durable. We just got an Impala 2001 (3800 V6) in January. I've driven the Luminas previously and found them to be very nice. A bit soft on the ride for my tastes but that is definitely subjective.

I would whole heartedly agree with mediumfry's assessment with a caveat. We also have Grand Am's with the 3.4L V6. They run real nice with that car/drivetrain combo. But if I were to extrapolate that to an Impala it would come up short. First and foremost I think some power ratings for the 3.4L V6 (GM) aren't accurate at 180hp with 205lbs torque. I believe the true rating for the engine is probably 175hp with around 180lbs of torque. In the 3,000lb Grand Am that is adequate for good performance. But in the larger 400 lbs heavier Impala I have reservations. The 3800 V6 is rated at a true 200hp with 220lbs of torque. This translates two ways. Better performance and longer drivetrain life because it moves the vehicle easier at lower rpms over the life of the engine. Accordingly if you are not one to occasionally push it a bit and if your driving needs are not particularly heavy then perhaps the 3.4L engine will suffice. But if you have the choice do yourself a favor and go with the 3800 V6 its more then worth the extra money.

My suggestion is spend the extra money for the 3800 V6 and you will have a car you can enjoy for a long time. I believe the 3400 has been improved for durability in 2001, but the 3800 is tried and true.
  • bdimebdime Posts: 130
    Good luck in your search and in your decision. The Tauras is a little cheaper
    (for the base) but also smaller (car size and seating) I also really liked the
    inside layout of the Imapala as well as the drive. The 1 year of OnStar with the
    LS is nothing to sneeze at if your alone or need assist either. Do your shopping
    and I think you'll soon be telling us you picked out a great new Impala!
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    I have a '98 Lumina LS that's been a great car. But it never inspired the passion and excitement that I feel with my Impala LS purchase (still patiently? waiting for my May delivery). I've driven several Impalas when my Lumina was in for routine maintenance and I was always sorry to give them back. Mediumfry hit it right on - more sure-footed, better power, an overall more assertive and more confident look and feel (I'm even getting used to the back end - sort of).

BTW - in Canada the Impala has already replaced the Lumina. You can't buy a 2001 Lumina in Canada.

Nick01 - Welcome to the list! I bet your car and mine will travel down the production line together. They're built in Oshawa, Ontario. I'm trying to get a plant tour. You'll partially regret joining this list - the waiting is going to drive you nuts with all the positive input you'll get from the other listers! Don't start doubting your colour choice. I'm sure you went through a complicated (mostly emotional) process to come up with the colour choice. I know I did!
    Brad
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    that color is a WOW color. We like it. But must admit it may be a bit too much....LOL

We have a driftwood metallic 2k. I would prefer white but it's the wifes car so it was her color choice.

A little over 34k miles on the car and 6k miles on the shim amterial TSB repair. No noise from the cradle mounts....yet (fingers crossed)

We are seeing many more Impalas out in our area south east Gilbert AZ area. A neighbor has a black LS. Their daughters drive like freaking mainiacs, theres gonna be a chat with mom & dad soon I think....... ((-;
    I went to a Chevy dealership a few days ago and looked at Impalas and the only two colors they had were Bronzemist and Driftwood. They were both nice looking colors. I imagine neither color will show dirt easily.

crosley4 - where I live, the parents are the fast drivers in residential areas. And they all have small children. You'd think they'd know better! It's just a couple of people actually. My father has a lot of friends that moved to Prescott upon retirement. Is Prescott as hot as the rest of Arizona? Prescott seems to be a popular place to retire.

bdime - I've sat in a Taurus and Impala and the Impala was more comfortable. The Taurus seat felt a little strange - I think it may have had the lumbar support. If that's their regular seat, that may be a deciding factor.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    I currently own a '00 Impala LS Light Driftwood Metallic. Love the color, extremely durable and very easy to upkeep. What a shame that GM discontinued it for the 2001 model year. Its new replacement, Sandrift Metallic, is nice but not nearly as attractive as the Driftwood paint. I settled on a new '01 LS Sandrift as lighter colors wear out better on hot climates.

I have never ever seen a Bronze Mist Metallic Impala. According to the brochure, the Bronze Mist is a 'late Availability' color. Has it been released? I would have loved to get this color but no one has it in South Florida and no one knows when it will be available...too bad.

Last year, the Impala had a funky color named Nightmist Aurburn Metallic which was 'rare' in the lineup. During the day it looked like a crossover between purplish (Under direct sunlight) and copper tones. At night it looked bright copper, really nice. During the day it looked aweful. Strange color. It was axed together with the light Driftwood Metallic and the Regal medium Blue which also was a somewhat unsual color scheme for 2001.

Remember this:: If your dealer sells you a Light Driftwood, Nightmist Auburn Metallic or Medium Regal Blue Impala, it is a 2000 model, not a 2001.
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Posts: 91
    I worked in Barrie at the old 'VR back in the 70's. I have two nephews who live there now. I had leased a LUMINA LTZ with a 3.1 engine. Best I ever had - not one thing went wrong in 3 years but the engine sucked. I now own a 2001 IMPALA LS with a 3.8 engine. The seating position is higher, it has a lumbar support and is very comfortable to drive. I find the suspension the same as the LTZ but the brakes are the best I have ever tried. The Impala is a great car and the car you are looking to buy [Regal GS 2002] while it is nice it doesn't have the same value as the Impala. I get more looks at my car than any other I have owned or leased. The speckled navy blue colour, when clean, draws a lot of attention especially when the sun is shining.
    They say they care but they really don't! I was invited to a service seminar by John Holland Motors in Burlington, Ontario and because I attended I received a free lube and oil change - even if the Impala LS doesn't need lubes. I sent my wife in with the car two days ago with a list of items - in the middle of the items in capital letters I wrote "DO NOT WASH CAR." Of course they washed the car. What a mess - water spots all over the car - I brought it in spotless and I have even bought the Zaino Bros. products for use when the weather warms up. Also, the head liner surrounding the sun roof was loose and even though two clips were added it still makes noise. Re the wash, the service manager says he is sorry and I should bring it in and they'll spend two hours giving it a wash and chamois. BUT I had already told him I am putting the Zaino products on the car and that means no extraneous cleaning of the paint surface, and he knows that. He is familiar with Zaino. They just don't listen. Also, the last 5 times I have gone there, with my former LUMINA LTZ and now the Impala, they said they would phone me at work when the job was done - however, they called my home every time, and this last time no phone call was made to either place. What a Joke. This letter is also being sent to them also. AH that feels better and thanks for reading this rant! Cheers!
    I believe I got the "drifts" mixed up and what I saw on the lot was a Sandrift because it was a 2001. They had a 2001 Bronzemist on the lot where I saw the Sandrift. They were both base Impalas but I would imagine if Bronzemist is out in the base model it would be out in the LS as well.
  • tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    Over in our Bonneville forum we have a number of Dark and Light Bronzemist cars and the Aurora is very sharp in the Dk Bronzemist as well - Intrigue has it too I think. This seems to be the new GM color of the year in varying hues. The ones I've seen so far of the dark color appeal to me much more than the light shade. Now Impala will offer a medium hue - bet it will be a great combination with that neutral cloth or leather interior. Perhaps a red pinstripe to pick up the tail light assembly shade will look good on it too. I know some dealers put pins on every Impala they sell.

Teo - still don't have your 2001? I hope you're fully recovered by now from your unfortunate illness. Have you checked out the Bonneville column lately? It rocks! I was jealous of you guys over here but we seem to have our forum in the top 3 or 4 these days - great discussions. We'd love any inputs from you Impala cousins anytime you wish to cross the street to our side.

Jeffreyw1 - Hope you're feeling well too these days. Keep looking up, brother.

Best wishes to all

Ken
  • mcdillmcdill Posts: 180
    Teo , the Bronzemist color is out, but from what I can tell they are only in the northern part of the U.S Like Michigan , Pennsylvania , ect. I will be glad to see them, And did you know that the 2001 Malibu is Avalible in the Light Driftwood and the Interior is Neutral ! , I know we kindof thought that G.M changed the driftwood color to match the new Interir color ( Neutral) , but that doesnt look like the case now , since you can get a Light Driftwood Malibu with neutral Interior... Oh well . By the way MSN.com has rated the Impala the best American made Sedan ! , and on an overall list of sedans , it is number 7 out of 10 . thanks-------------mattmcdill
    Re mediumfry comment "sex shouldn't and doesn't matter, we're all "Impalaphiles" or at least car enthusiasts, not to mention humans" - EXCUSE ME but sex may not be important to you but it is to me - lol :)

This should do it for stones - I have passed 23 kidney stones - have a collection too! Dairy products are the problem - too much calcium. Cranberry juice is good but not for diabetics like me - too much sugar in the juice. So I carry RX Tylenol 3 with me at all times for pain management. Treatment =lithotripsy: sound waves [not laser] blast stone in kidney - fragments pass within six months, mostly small enough without pain. I have had 5 lithotripsies - drugs put you out - but sometimes tou wake up and they give you more drugs. HOW DOES THIS RELATE TO IMPALAS? = I have had a few attacks while driving - very dangerous- the pain is excruciating - but you have to get to a hospital - the hard part is trying to find a parking spot! Thanks for reading.
  • This is a follow-up note regarding the hesitation/stumbling problem of my 2000 Impala LS.

For the past couple of weeks, I have been dealing with both GM and the Better Business Bureau regarding a repurchase of the car. It had been in for repair five times for the hesitation problem since Oct 2000.

One thing that I would like to do is commend both the GM and BBB workers for their courtesy and professionalism in handling this case. Everyone has been just great.

GM has agreed to repurchase the car with no obligation on my part to purchase a new car. I live in California so the lemon law requirements may be different than other states. Without any argument or offers back and forth, GM will give me the original purchase price, the sales tax, the license fees, the setup fees, and the finance charges that I have paid.

I will use the money to purchase a 2001 Impala LS. It would be nice if this were completed by April 2, 2001 because the new Impala has a $1000.00 rebate that ends on April 2nd. I guess that I should not be greedy.

With the repurchase, the new car will cost me about $4000.00 more than what I am getting back. This is mostly because of upgrade options that I want.
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    Did replacing the Oxygen Sensor solve the hesitation problem?
    I think they still do perform this test if it is what I had performed on me. They place iodine in your blood stream and then take a series of rays. The ray technician did say that the stuff he places in the bloodstream is not as powerful as it used to be, causing less allergic reactions.
    I had what I thought to be my new Impala LS ordered from my local dealership, but they messed up the order and ordered the wrong Impala. Those of you that have your Impala ordered, make sure that your dealership gets the order correct. I had to end purchasing an Impala from my local dealership after they did a dealer search and found one at a dealership in Arkansas. The Impala LS that I currently own was close to the one I had ordered. I do love my white 2001 Impala LS. May all have a great day!
    This vehicle is the ultimate in police cars!

Check this page and you will be flabergasted.

I just wish this Impala wasn't so close to home!!!!!!!

http://www.torontopolice.on.ca/aroundtheservice/stories/stealthcar/index.html

Let me know what you think.