Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• msgjvhmsgjvh Member Posts: 196
    Get the Rug Doctor at Lowe's with the cleaning solution. Use the hottest water you can get and vacuum that stain right outta there. Don't expect it to come up in one pass. You may have to do it a few times. So do the rest of the house at the same time. Thats how I get ours clean but you will never have them looking brand new after having all the kids in the neighborhood around.

MSGJVH.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Hi Badgermomma! (thx marcb...)

I sent the van to the pros when my dw had her mocha "explode" in the van. There's still a drip of coffee under the trip-reset button on the dash, lol.

For those stubborn stains, I use Resolve powder. I usually use 2 containers of it, and scrub like crazy, let it sit for 30 minutes (long enough to wash the exterior) and then vacuum it all out thoroughly. However, the powder takes a while to vacuum out, but the van looks brand new (well, almost) after every cleaning. Someone's used Tide and a brush, which would work really good I imagine.

Reminds, me...time to shovel the kid-junk out of the van again!

/java
  • sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    Hi all:

My 00 MPV does not have rear heater( which only comes up with 4 seasons package ), we are moving to the masschussets area.

I would like to hear from thos living in the Northeast about the need for the rear heater...

any advice would be helpful !
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    I don't know if Pgh. qualifies as northeast, but in the coldest days last year, nobody complained about freezing their tochas off in the back of "The Prez." With the rear vents right under the front seat, the middle at least gets plenty of heat. Might take a little longer to heat up the back than with the rear heater though.

RJ
  • mjvchicagomjvchicago Member Posts: 149
    Hi all. Just found the MPV as a great alternative to other minivans out there and both me and my wife have fallen in love with it. Question: has anyone had a major accident with the MPV (front or side impact)? What was the result to the car and to the occupants? The MPV doesn't have rear side airbags and i'm wondering what the affect was on any passengers. Your input is greatly appreciated!
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    being the "official" driver for our new pastors family who's never seen winter before, i was wondering why his kids were complaining about the cold at the start of winter.

Tried sitting back there and did miss the heat. Turned out ducts were blocked by a volleyball set under the 3rd row left since summer..... i normally do stash snug objects there like an air compressor and a blanket (no rabbits or hidden dragon).

imho you might need something to heat the rear, the cheapest would be one of those pluggable car heater from car shops. At least you do have the rear cigarette lighter to stick it in so the wire is not in the way.

On the other hand if money is not the matter, this is a good excuse to get the new 3 litre mpv ;-)
    We're glad you've both fallen in love with the MPV and that you've found this MPV thread. For crash info (and other info) you might surf over HERE when you get a chance. There are crash test videos under "info" on that site, as well as other information you may find helpful regarding specifically the MPV.

again, welcome,

/java

• scarter7719scarter7719 Member Posts: 89
    I'm not sure what's going on, but I've tried to post for two days on the MPV problem board ??
    Anyway, before I type out a third lengthy response, I thought I'd test a message here. Anyone see my response over there?
    I read you five-by-five!

I've had the fuel door stick on me, but I have a little can of WD-40 I use to lubricate the workings (cable, latch, pull-switch) and don't have trouble anymore with it.

/java
  • cmunizcmuniz Member Posts: 604
    My 2000 MPV was rear-ended by a Dodge Ram 350 truck with a 5th wheel camper on the interstate. There was over $5,000 worth of damage to the van since the tail gate and rear quarter panel were damaged. The good news is that nobody got hurt, we were able to drive the van after the accident and the tail gate stayed closed. Given the circumstances I was happy with the way the MPV survived the accident. No experience with frontal or side crashes, yet....
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    And I hope we don't read about another one from you...
    :))
  • chris1113chris1113 Member Posts: 5
    One thing to be aware of in an accident involving the front. My 1992 MPV had a transmission cooler ( like a little radiator ) under the left, front bumper. On vacation a couple of years back, someone bumped us ~5 mph. The $2000 of damage didn't seem too bad ( $800 was the bumper alone ), but the van was incapacitated as the little radiator broke, poring all the engine's transmission fluid onto the ground. It had to be towed from the accident scene. Very unfortunate as we were packed and on our way home. ( Not a good way to extend a vacation ).

Anyway, my 2001 ES appears to have the same thing. Don't know if it's any well protected or if "all" vans have this.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    All automatics have an oil cooler either in the radiator or mounted externally nearby.

I remember going through a somewhat shallow river in a '98 MPV 4x4 and had a similar problem. The cooler wasn't damaged, but the hose to it was pushed into the spinning fan and severed. A quick splice and 7 quarts of fluid later, I was back in action.
  • casselmancasselman Member Posts: 8
    I can a buy an MPV for invoice minus $1000 plus 4.9 financing up to 72 months. I am coming off a lease of my "unreliable" 1999 Chevy Venture and I want something that does break down all the time.

I am looking an LX with the Security Package and/or 4 season package or rear air.

Prices range between $24,900 to $25,550 MRSP ($21,900 to $22,400 invoice minus $1000).
    you should be getting atleast another 1500 off, total of 2500 of MSRP.

I bought my LX( 00 ), with all packages for 17.5k......

Why not wait for the 3.0L......a few months away !!!!!!!
  • casselmancasselman Member Posts: 8
    Sweet Subie

I would be saving about $3000 off the MRSP plus getting the financing.

MRSP: $25,210

Sale Price: $22,200

I would love to buy a 2002 when they come out in March but you have to figure that the MRSP will rise slightly and even if a dealer sells the vehicle near invoice I'm probably looking at a purchase price around $24,500 with the features I want on it and I may not get the financing as low as it is now.
    Sorry about that 2.5k number off MSRP......because of the slower 2.5l engine, MPV is selling at huge discounts( 4 to 5k off MSRP ) these days............reduce some more !!!!!!!

people differ on MPV power a lot.....test drive for while & then decide.......

MPV is the best minivan as fas as features are concerned !!!!!!!
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    I just filled up our MPV for only $13.00, fuel is only .89 in Ohio. Our 01 LX just turned 10K and not one single problem.
    buy a 00, used.I'll give you 4 reasons.........

1. 00 has 170hp vs 01 of 160hp.......10 hp loss due to conforming LEV.

2. MPV has low resale value.......I noticed in Houston sunday paper......unbelievably low prices.......

Remember mazda, has 3 yr, 50k mile warrty. so 00 used would be a great buy.

becos of 0% apr for new cars, the used car prices are crashing.......
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    The single most important factor when deciding to purchase an MPV is Resale value. The MPV is a nice dependable van with many features at a good price. But where you can and will get hit is when you go to sell it later. It shouldn't be, but the perception of being underpowered is very real. I find it to be okay,but buyers and dealers read the reviews and unfortunately they will use that against you when you go to trade it in or sell it. We purchased a 01 LX in July,has 9k miles and no problems,been quite happy with it,but I know that I will get burned later.(My wife loved it and is the primary driver)The problem is if you take out a 4 or 5 year loan even with the 0% interest,you will be 'upside down' on your loan for a long time (owe more on the loan then you can get on trade). This may prevent you from reselling it even if you want to within the first 2-3 years. This irks me but there is nothing I can do about it. Just be aware of this before you buy. Now if you plan on keeping it for 5+ years,then the trade-in effect is not as much an issue. From a strictly financial point of view,IMO the Sienna is the best deal out there.
    "The single most important factor when deciding to purchase an MPV is Resale value"

What? Sorry, but I'll have to disagree w/that, because I think there are many items more important (imho) when shopping than trade-in value...such as safety, egro, reliability, styling, purchase price...in no particular order. If that were true in everyone's minds, nobody would buy anything except Accords, Acuras and Lexus (Lexii?).

Besides, trade-in on my '00 LX is approx. $14k (I should know, I was shopping this weekend, and three dealerships gave me similar "first try" values of $13.5k-$15k) and I'm far from upside down on it after 28mths of my 72mth loan.

Over on a well known volvo forum, there is a saying that people use, "you should buy an Accord, but you will, in the end, buy whatever you like." But I enjoy unique transport, which accounts for my (lack of) taste.

/J
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I agree, Java!

Rutger, I'm not trying to say something against you personally. You have your reasons to think what you think. But for me, even if I will be upside down on my loan and decide to sell our 1.5 year old 2000 MPV (in order to buy 2002 MPV of course :-), I will not regret it much because during the last 1.5 years I have had a vehicle that I ENJOYED DRIVING every single day. And I do believe that it is worth something. Do you think that Lamborghini Diablo is really worth the $200,000+ that they ask for it? That piece of metal with virtually no luxury items is still selling at that price well because people (who buy them) just like the idea to show it off to somebody and feel better about themselves (and, of course, driving experience).

I would feel worse if I was driving Sienna now, even though it has better engine and some other features. Original purchase price, features and looks were just right for me and my family and that is what counts. But again, it's my opinion, someone else might think differently and that is their right.

If someone is still driving rusted Yugo, they must have a reason for that and it doesn't mean that they don't have taste (maybe they just don't have money or just DON'T CARE what thay drive :-)

Anyway, I guess you've got my point: I enjoyed every mile (well, kilometer :-) of the road so far and that is worth a lot to me.

P.S. I wish I could sell my MPV for a good price and buy '02 but then, I might be more comfortable driving my '00 for a couple more years and buy something like '04 or '06 model with all the newest bells and whistles (refined next generation Mazda engine, stability control, backup sensor, whatever else is going to be "normal" at that time?:)

Alex
    i agree with alex, I would do the same......

BTW, to make us all feel bette, My 00 MPV reached 29k miles......no single complaint except the fuel door.........

those stupid dunlop tires got bald already !
    They're keeping that Yugo because it has built in hand warmers on the rear windows...

yuk yuk yuk

/java
    The real reason they're keeping their Yogos is that on the "rare" occasions when they break down, they can just be picked up and carted off to the repair shop. I've got coats with pockets big enough to do it. ;]

Java--two things: 1. What's an egro? 2. One Lexus, two [or more] Lexi. [thus endeth today's Latin lesson. From an aging Latin teacher, no less]

RJ

Req'd MPV cont.: The Prez has developed "The Shakes" at all speeds. Even rebalancing all four wheels didn't help. Any suggestions?
    ergo (pronounced "rrrgo", instead of "aergo") as in ergonomics.

thx for the latin lesson. I wasn't sure of the proper plural useage of Lexus, ending in us and whatnot, and we must be proper. Carpe MPV, carpe beer and all that!

/java

RJ, quit feeding the prez coffee, or switch to decaf.
    Did you try an alignment? Or, isn't there an fix with the fron tie rod ends? It's been a while since I've had an actual problem...

And, now that my parts for the rear brake squeal, a new driver's side visor (floppy visor door, don't you hate it when that happens?) and new touch up paint just arrived, my d.w. has loaned MochaVan to the visiting sister-in-law...for two weeks. God help her if she scratches it! :-)

/java
  • rutger3rutger3 Member Posts: 361
    Okay,so maybe I was a bit too strong in my personal problems with resale values. Yes,there is more to buying an MPV,like styling,handling,dependability,purchase price,etc.,and in fact these are some reasons why we have our 01 MPV;and again we have been happy with it. In fact,my wife loves it and there is a benefit to that of course. Plus you should drive what you feel comfortable driving,but where we disagree is that you should do this regardless of financial value. Sure it is silly to spend $100,000 on any car if your only purpose is to show it off to your neighbors. I am not talking about expensive vehicles here. No more than $25,000, most between $17-22k. I just think it is a crying shame the way the auto value/trade-in/resale system works. It is played at both ends by the dealers to only their advantage. Perfectly fine vehicles like the MPV,626 and Nissan Sentra are given a very unfair bad rap financially on resale values, all because of some misguided views or perceptions about them.(ie.the 'weak engine'issue or 'not as refined as the Accord'). Buyers shouldn't have to be concerned with resale value when buying a car,but unfortunately it is a real world issue. When 2 vehicles equally equipped, with the same sticker prices and similair quality depreciate at tremendously different rates,imho there is something wrong. Personal taste in any vehicle is not an issue here.There is nothing wrong with the MPV and nothing wrong with wanting to drive something different that you like,it just shouldn't cost you later.When buying the car you may have some financial advantage,but later on you are at a competitive disadvantage. Don't forget,no matter how much you like a car,it is still a rapidly depreciating asset;and with the lousy returns on money market accounts and the losses most people have taken on their mutual funds the past year,lessening the financial impact of owning any vehicle can prove rewarding. Just my 2+ cents.
  • miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    Is the GFX package available as an aftermarket package?
  • miata94miata94 Member Posts: 17
    Rutger3, that's why I think it's much smarter to keep your cars 6-8 years. I plan to keep both my Miata and my MPV. The Miata is a great car for dates and the MPV a great car in case an "accident" happens as a result of those dates. Just kidding.

Seriously, the auto industry expects us to buy a new car every 3-4 years. That's just crazy. If you buy a car every 6-8 years, then you'll end up with only 4 cars in 30 years. 4 cars may sound like a lot of cars, but if you purchase the right type of cars (1) an inexpensive sports car, (2) a truck/minivan for its utility, (3) a luxury car for going to a 5-star hotel or gala night at the opera house, and (4) a decent economy car for the kids, each car will end up having its niche and purpose. And because you have 4 cars, you won't end up using each car until it is beyond repairs. I'd say you'll end up with 150K to 200K Miles on each car, a perfectly acceptable figure for today's cars.
    Excellent points from everyone.....good thread!

When I bought my '01 LX, I traded-in a '99 Accord. I had the Honda for almost three years, and I was surprised to discover that I was upside-down in the loan by almost $2K (according to Edmund's and KBB). Now, that may not be a big difference, and the gap could be even greater three years from now with the MPV, but it didn't keep me from buying it. There are lots of folks out there who bought Odys and paid way over MSRP. Why? Because they really wanted it, for whatever reason, and yes, they too will be upside-down at trade-in time.

Why did I buy the MPV? Not because of resale value, and certainly not because of all the "outstanding" reviews (TIC). I really liked the styling. It's probably, imho, the best looking van on the road; the Sienna is just plain ugly! The fold down third seat was another must-have feature. I also liked it's drivability. It was the only van I drove that behaved most like a sedan. I found it very easy to maneuver, and that was important to my wife, the primary driver. Most of the all was the deal that I was able to negotiate. I plan to drive it until the warranty ends, then trade it for an '04 or '05 MPV. I believe that the Mazda dealer will be hungry enough at the end of the model year to overcome an upside-down scenario. They were when I traded the Accord, and I think if I'm trading an MPV for a new MPV, they will be again. If it turns out to be a reliable vehicle, then I may consider keeping it longer, but I've had too many out-of-warranty woes with other cars over the years.

SC
    I've gotta disagree, SC. For my money, the best looking van on the road is the T&C/Voyager: Droop grill, high, blunt nose, great colors. It reminds me of the '34 Chrysler Airflow, one of the handsomest cars of the early 30's. Now if they could marry DC's looks with Mazda's competence. . .

Java, alignment is the next step. I shudder to think of the hassle I'm in for if that doesn't work. Either that, or as you suggest, Nescafe.

RJ
    My sister-in-law has a new T/C. She had it parked in our driveway the other night. Approaching it from the front in general darkness I thought I had left my MPV out. There is "some" similarity between the two.
    I have always thought Chrysler had the best innovative designs of any domestic automobile. But, I'll bet she has hers in the shop way before me.....
    ptttuyyy! May the fleas of a thousand camels...

Blashpemy speaking those words of the lowly DC van in the presense of MPV greatness! LOL

/J
    Just cause I kinda like the looks of the DC's, it doesn't mean I would dare to compare the imcomparable. As far as DC's go, handsome isn't ALWAYS as handsome does. Or as old Will S. put it, "Meet it is I mark it down, that one may smile and smile and be a villain!" The DC's smile a lot.
    ;>]

RJ
    ... a lowly soldier, running into the fray whilst carrying the standard... flag flapping in to the wind (or was that three sheets to the wind?).

/java (full of it) doc
    ...the Chrysler's are obviously quite popular. Personal tastes abound when it comes to styling. Two visuals come to mind when I see one pulling up in my rear-view: Groucho Marks and the Space Shuttle!

Office X-mas party, java?

[MPV Content] My rear-brake parts came in last week...that was FAST!

SC
    ... and I left when they started doing tequila shooters and break-dancing (believe me, it was scary)... so I'm just prolly high on the glue I'm using to put my daughters' dollhouse together with. ;-P

...which I brought home from the post office in MochaVan.

/java
    "..as handsome does..", "..a lowly soldier..".
    I've GOT to find a sane chat site somewhere!
    Since none of you will be getting a Christmas card from me this year (I didn't get yours..) I want to wish you a Merry Christmas and a safe & Happy New Year.
    Grinch! ;)

I was going to send you a card, but it got lost in the back of The Prez [req'd content].

Oh well, to you and to all, A Very Happy Holiday Season! {how's that for PC?}

RJ
  • daddioof4daddioof4 Member Posts: 50
    I knew when billmckinley mentioned the DC vans in a positive light on the MPV site it would (Should)cause an up roar. What I didn't expect was the old Bard being paraphrased. Which is also one reason I like this site. Another reason is the helpful info I get from you fellow MPVers. So, Please help me out here. My 93 protege is running bad, the shop wants to charge me $150-$200 to clean my fuel injectors. The 50 cent question: are the fuel injector cleaners additives you get at the parts store for $1.50-$20.00 as good as the dealers $150-200 job? Are there any other sites that address this issue?
  • tboner1965tboner1965 Member Posts: 647
    Check with NAPA or other parts stores. There are fuel injector cleaners that have a "can 'o stuff" that connects directly to your fuel rail. The can is pressurized, so it provides enough pressure to run the car at a slow speed.

I wouldn't hurt to run some Chevron Techron fuel system cleaner thru there. Two Franklins seems a bit high. You could probably buy the injectors from the parts store and replace them for around the same price.

Are they willing to eat the cost of the injector cleaning if it doesn't correct the problem?

I think they just want to pay for the machine. Check out this page

http://www.geocities.com/genidude/FIClnr.html

"Average Cost to Clean injectors $5.xx" and they want to charge you how much?????

TB
    tboner's right on. Fuel injector cleaning is not rocket science. My (well-trusted) inde-mechanic uses a machine similar to the IC-100 there and he charges me .3hrs shop time for cleaning injectors, which is about $25, plus $6 in solution, so the tab would be $31.

I recently had a flat spot around 2300rpm on my T5, and again at about 5800rpm, and about $30 at the "doctor" fixed it right up, and improved fuel economy and power levels noticably also.

Yes, go to Schucks or PepBoys and spend a few bux on a good cleaner and see if that works. That'd sure be alot more convenient than handing over the keys for part of the day.

luck to you daddiof4!

/javadoc
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    Today our MPV turns 2 years old, and for its birthday we need to give it new tires. After 32,000 (yikes!) miles, the Dunlops just aren't safe for winter driving anymore. They're hardly safe for rainy driving.

Does anyone have any favorites/unfavorites or other tips? We're leaning towards Michelins.

Thanks!
    I replaced the 215/60R16 Dunlop SP Sport 4000's with a set of 225/55ZR16 Dunlop SP Sport 5000's. They are a pretty sticky set of all season tires in wet or dry conditions. Dunno how they handle in the snow, but with more tread depth than the old tires we just replaced, they have to be better.

I am shocked we've not seen any snow yet here in St. Louis. By this time last year, I think we had snow on the ground close to a solid month.

We'll probably get hit hard in Jan-Feb. At least I hope so, otherwise I wasted a bunch of money by replacing tires good for wet/dry conditions that I could have driven on another six months if I wasn't expecting snow!

FWIW

TB
  • excelent3excelent3 Member Posts: 197
    We thought the MPV was a trick "little" van. We've owned Mazdas before and was a positive Experience. We liked the windows in the MPV and the rear seat but no big deal. Underpowered is the engine. We discovered the Kia Sedona (Hyundai backed) and were literally taken back at the features, options, price and warranty. Bought a fully loaded (only options are leather, sunroof, spoiler, ABS, Homelink and Two Tone paint) I got the whole package for $22995. Warranty is solid (I've read it completely) and more. 3.9% interest for 48 months. If you are in the market for a new mini-van give these a look. Don't pre-judge...you'll be selling yourself short. I drive a Toyota Previa and I am delightfully impressed with the Sedona.
  • dapontdapont Member Posts: 21
    November Consumer Reports rates Michelin X-One as the #1 premium tire. Check Tire Rack or Discount Tire on-line to view user's comments, the vast majority of which are favorable. Sure, you pay a small premium for the name "Michelin" but it's money well spent on a hard-earned reputation. Ever hear of a Michelin recall?
    ...but it's a KIA!

/java
    ...but it is still a Kia at the end of the day.

I tried looking up crash test results on the Sedona and apparently it hasn't been tested yet. However, I would truly hope that the Sedona crashes better than any of Kia's previous models since it weighs 2 and a half tons. Lots of "Poor" and "Marginal" ratings when you look at Kia crash tests.

I just think for the couple of thousand more for an MPV that it's a much better deal than the cheapest van out there, feature-laden or not, since that is only one aspect to look at when buying a car that's carrying ones most precious of cargo.

From what I read of the Kia van, it handles like a dump truck and its performance is termed as "tepid," "relaxed" and "unhurried," all nice ways of saying what they not so nicely have said about the MPV for three years.. it's darned slow when you pit it against the competition. I haven't (and prolly won't tho) tested the Kia however so that is just a regergitation of what the media has written in recent months on the subject. Couple the engine with a slow-responding transmission that C/D describes in this way, "Dipping into a full-power kickdown for passing creates such a pause you think downshifts are on back order."

What about the 15/20 (city/hwy) EPA estimates for the Sedona? Wow. I guess that's due to the 4,800lbs curb weight.

I'm also not so sure I'd buy an automobile built by Hyundai (yes, it is) which is itself on wobbly legs and industry analysts don't see that company surviving into the future too far, unless some large outside company once again swoops down to save a failing entity. Who does the warranty work for the company that doesn't exist?

The Sedona does seem to come with alot of std. features. However, it has no hiding seats, the center row is a bench (buckets on the EX, sure) vanilla styling, imnsho, lack of headroom in the back for adults.

Sorry, I'm not harping, I just don't see the appeal of the Sedona.

/j