Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Yesterday I finally saw the city of Guelph's police Impala - tricked out as a Canine Unit! The dog rides in a specially designed cage in the back seat. Has anyone else seen this?

I'm seeing more and more Impala police cars on the road in southern Ontario. On Hwy 401 between London and Windsor the plain white Impala seems to be the radar car of choice for the Ontario Provincial Police.
  • stnelstnel Member Posts: 338
    the aluminum head gasket. They don't ever have that information on specs. I wouldn't mind looking at other cars as well to see if they are steel or aluminum. It's one thing to pay $1000 for the 3.8 engine but I may also have to buy an option package to get the engine. There comes a point where it gets too expensive. I'm just looking up info on GM Power right now. Would have to talk to a salesman to get bottom line on all this.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    The 3.4L V6 has an Aluminum head. The 3800 Series II V6 has a Cast Iron head.

If you want to get more detailed information, just go to:

www.gmpowertrain.com

In there, you'll find very detailed information about each engine and transmission units currently produced by General Motors.

Have fun ;-)
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    A while back we were talking about coolant levels and the "lifetime" coolant GM puts in there cars. Many of you thought that sounded suspect... and it appears you were right.

Please see the maintance and repairs folder of the Impala Owner's Club link for a long-ish post I'll place there from our local car/guy columnist for the paper. And please people. Get your coolant/antifreeze levels checked at least once a year no matter what your owner's manual says...

Cookie.
    Thanks for those web pages. I'll bookmark them and look at them a little later. (Have to get to an appointment in a few minutes)
  • frankb7frankb7 Member Posts: 18
    Folks,

Am still thinking about buying a 2001 Impala. I need the capability to seat six on rare occasions, so I need the split bench. Was told that the LS comes only with Buckets. With that in mind, I priced a base on MS Carpoint, with the options that the LS has (3.8, traction, all the electronic boogy, etc., and it came out to $500 less than the LS. I am guessing the difference was the rear 'spoiler' and the wheels. Any ideas?

Also, I was considering getting the 3.4, but all the talk of aluminum heads has me spooked. In reality, I prefer a cushier ride, and was wondering if the suspension difference with the 3.8, makes the ride a lot harsher, or just slightly. I know I am nitpicking here, but thought I'd ask. The rental I had last year was a base (I am pretty sure), and I liked the ride. How much more 'harsh' will the ride be with the 3.8?

Thanks

Frank
  • platourplatour Member Posts: 252
    I did not intend to spook anyone about aluminum cylinder heads. They are used on many vehicles and quite successfully. They do need some care in terms of coolant replacement on a regular schedule in that they are more sensitive to acid corrosion. But every two years will not break the bank account. The context of my original question was the GM claim that DexCool is good for 100,000 miles but if there is a problem, the warranty may be voided if one does not follow a severe use maintenance regime. And I cannot find out what GM means by that from my Owner's Manual. Perhaps someone has keener eyes than mine.
    I was thinking aluminum was aluminum so didn't mention this earlier, but the car my dad had with aluminum gaskets was a 1963. Platour, knowing how you're a corvette buff, the car was a '63 Corvette Stingray. He had the car from '64 to '76. At some point, he had the engine rebuilt. Don't know how alumunim gaskets come into play in present day.
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Just had 3 oms. in Flu. (left Impala home) Impala AS was in storage in cold garage. When I stored it in Dec. I put in gas stabilizer and unhooked the battery. Hooked it up and started engine in less than 5 revolutions. Reliability!!! Went to move the car, and it wouldn't. Brakes froze. Gave it the gas and PAW it broke loose. The brakes were noisy like a wrapped rotor, with vibration. I pulled the wheels and sanded the rotes with emery cloth and the brakes are back to normal. Before storing the car I went to town and had it washed and the ride back was snowy and wet. I must have put it away wet and the metallic particles in the brake pads rusted to the rotors. In any event it is OK now. Still runs great with no clunks or noises at 15752 miles. Fuel mileage to date is 28.34mpg. My first 5000 miles fuel consumption was 27.2 mpg. At 11085 miles the average fuel consumption was 28.5mpg. I have read the last 200 or so posts, interesting to say the least. This forum still is great and informative. Thanks everyone. Enjoy the ride.
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    Stnel: The problem isn't what the head gasket material is made from ie: aluminum or steel. The problem is the block being cast iron and the head being aluminum. Not only do disimiliar metals set up galvanic action ( sort of a miniature battery that can erode metal) in the presence of liquids, but the major offender is the differences in the coefficents of expansion, which basically mean that the iron and aluminum expand at different rates with relation to temperature as the engine heats up. The differences in expansion cause a condition called head shear. This means that even as tightly as the heads are bolted to the block, the head "slides" laterally across the top of the block as it heats up. This wears out the head gasket from repeated heating/cooling cycles. Eventually the leak is going to develop. Teflon coated composition head gaskets are commonly used to try and cope with the condition.
    Thanks for your explanation on aluminum vs iron. It helped a lot in figuring this out. I would think people in hot climates would have a greater need for the 3.8. The next time I talk to a salesman on Impalas, I believe I'll be discussing 3.8 engines instead of 3.4.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    In years gone by, the aluminum heads on iron blocks were more of a problem. Nowadays, the issues have been worked out and the reliability of the iron/aluminum combination is much better. The VAST MAJORITY of engines made today have aluminum heads on cast iron blocks.

The issue is keeping the coolant clean and fresh. If coolant is allowed to get dirty or old, then scale can begin to build up on the walls of the cooling passages, and heat transfer will be reduced. This will cause overheating of the head and block. At higher temperatures the differences between Iron and Aluminum are more apparent. At a certain point the aluminum will crack or warp.

Keeping the coolant full, clean, and fresh will eliminate worry about this problem. Simply having the system flushed and the fluid changed at recommended intervals is usually all it takes.

I like the 3.8 because it's tried and true. The iron head/block combo means I could possibly abuse it by not changing the coolant. Why would I do that though?

I think the head and block materials are not a reason to choose one engine over another.
    Actually, if I had to upgrade to a 3.8, I'd be going over the amount I wanted to spend. The 3.4 fits more into my budget. Living in a hot climate, I thought there would be more of a problem. But if it's just a matter of keeping up with the coolant, I'd rather keep a close eye on when to change the coolant and buy the 3.4 engine.

I've appreciated everyone's help on this issue.
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    The boss treated the departmentt to lunch today and had to pick it up. Wanted a volunteer to help and I offered to drive. She was very impressed with my new ride. Turns out the large box with the lunch wouldn't have fit in her ride with her car seats and stroller in the trunk. The brownie points are negligible but it was great to have the right size vehicle and impress the boss!
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I saw a new Bronzemist LS going down the road today when I was at work , it was about 6 o'clock tonight , It was probably one of the guys at the chevy place going home in it , I am going to try and go look at it tommorow .thanks--------mattmcdill
  • nick01nick01 Member Posts: 84
    The new Impala just turned 100 miles. Everything looking good. Except the strange rumble noise when I stop for a light or to park. Can rock my body back and forth and it makes the same noise in the trunk area. I suspect no baffles in the gas tank and the gas(6lbs to the gallon)is rolling around like a loose cannonball. If there is any posts covering this problem I havent been able to find them. Can anyone help on this?

Nick
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    You will have to get used to it, That is a "PLASTIC" Gas Tank and there were a few discussions about that on the Monte Carlo Forum a while back, not so much over here, although a few have mentioned it from time to time, I don't notice it, or should I say it does not bother me if it happens, I usually keep it filled up as much as possible because I hate that shocking $25+ Fill up, I'd rather add some gas every few days as the price fluctuates, mostly when it is down than have to pay a super high price on the day I need 17 gallons and the price is way up there. Currently tonite $1.56 for 87 octane. Got some yesterday and filled up for $1.45 at the same station...schrude eh? I can hardly notice it nowadays. Don
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    The Ontario Provincial Police [State Police] have started a crackdown on those who hog and plod along the left lane. Those who don't move over for faster vehicles, no matter what speed, will be ticketed - of course this enforcement is not in effect during the rush hours when all lanes are plugged. The speed limit on our super highways is only 100 mph or a little more than 60 miles per hour. BUT just about everyone does 120kph or 72mph - case in point, last night I was in the far RIGHT lane at 1:30am and I was going 120kph. A cop car - AN IMPALA - drove past on the left lane of the 3 lane highway owing at least 150! Then about 30 seconds later, another IMPALA COP CAR doing at least 130kph was going by me in the middle lane, he looked over, almost as if to say" I know you are driving an IMPALA too!I He then speed up and left me behind and I was still doing 120 in the right lane. HOWEVER, there are certain areas in Ontario that are accident prone and there is no mercy for going over 100-110 kph. Cheers
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    One of the old issues with Al heads what that the spark plugs could seize in the heads. I'll admit having iron heads on the 3.8 was a plus in selecting my LS.

Then again, I was probably just looking for anything to justify the bigger engine. =)
  • norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    I get gas tank slosh also. Most cars have it but it is not always heard. Depends on how much is in the tank & how much insulation. Gas prices in Northern Mich are $1.39 to $1.45. Bought gas at $1.19 in Southern Georgia last week. Seems southern and central Georgia gas prices are lower in the last few years, maybe the tax structure. Rotated tires today, re torqued to 100 ft. lbs. It occurs to me that repair shops that rotate tires may not always use the same pattern of rotation. This would cancel the benefits of rotating tires? Might be a good idea for every one to be sure the owner manual rotation method is followed each time. Enjoy the ride.
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    You are right in that you can pretty much build-out a base model to get you close to an LS, and depending on your personal preferences, you might even save a few $$ by doing that and skipping some of the things you might not want that comes with the LS. Here's a complete list of the differences between the two, and the cost of adding each "delta" to the base model.

LS MSRP = $23,345 , Base MSRP = $19,269, Delta = $4,076

Exterior:
    Foglamps (N/A on the base model)
    Heated outside RV mirrors (N/A)
    Rear deck spoiler (N/A, but deletable on the LS for $175 credit)
    Keyless Entry (1SB)

Interior:
    Driver's side impact bag (AM6)
    Dual zone A/C ($100 or 1SC)
    Air filtration system (N/A)
    Overhead console (1SB)
    Cruise control ($240 or 1SB)
    Dual rear cup holders (AM6)
    Leather-wrapped steering wheel (1SC)
    6-way power driver seat (AM6)
    AM/FM Cassette RDS ($282 or 1SB)
    1-year OnStar Service (1SC)

Power Train/Chassis:
    3800 V6 Engine (L36)
    ABS Brakes ($600 of L36)
    Electronic Traction Control (L36)
    Sport Touring Suspension (L36)
    P255/60R-16N Touring Tires ($45)
    Sport aluminum wheels (N/A)

Option Group Packages:
    AM6 = $765 60/40 Split Bench Includes 6-Way Driver Power, Driver's Side Impact Air Bags, Split Rear Folding Seat with Storage in Armrest.

L36 = $986 Includes 3.8L V6 200 hp Engine, ABS Brakes, Traction Control, Touring Suspension. Requires Custom Aluminum Wheels ($300) and Touring Tires ($45).

1SB = $872 Includes Assist Handles, Cargo Net, Overhead Console, Cruise Control, Keyless Entry, Illuminated Vanity Mirrors, Radio Upgrade (Cassette)

1SC = $1903 Includes 1SB, plus Auto Day/Night Inside RV Mirror, OnStar, Leather wrapped Steering Wheel w/Radio Controls, Dual Zone A/C, 16" Aluminum Wheels

If you added every available option that is std on the LS to a base Impala, it would cost you $3999 (AM6 + L36 + 1SC + $345 for wheels/tires). If you delete the spoiler from the LS for comparison purposes, your built-up base Impala will cost $98 more than the LS, and will lack the following: Fog Lamps, Heated outside RV mirrors, Air filtration system, and Sport aluminum wheels, plus some LS-specific badging ("Impala" on the front doors, "LS" on the rear, etc).
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    Egads, I have never gone that fast in my life. Only 95mph for me, 35 yrs ago!
    I was checking out prices on CarsDirect and by the time you upgraded the Impala to a 3.8 engine, you could get a base Olds Intrigue. (That has a cast iron cylinder head). And you get a better warrantly - 60,000/5yr.

CarsDirect lists the Olds (including $2000 rebate) for $19,8--.

Chevy base for $17,9--. You'd have to spend an $2000 extra for 3.8 engine because I think you have to purchase extra option package as well.

Impala LS - $21,8--.

The prices at CarsDirect run high. It could be, too, that the dealers are offering cheaper prices in Louisiana because our economy isn't as good.

I'm leaning towards 3.4 Impala.
    Word of advice: The Intrigue is not a very good car. Go to the Intrigue forum and you'll see many complaints regarding:

* Premature failure of the Alternator (Flickering lights) on Intrigue's with the 3.5L DOHC V6 engine

* Oil leaks from the same motor

* Front end rattles that have no fix

* Excessive Oil consumption

* Poor build quality

* Terrible depreciation

* A brand that no longer exists

* Both the Intrigue and the current 3.5L DOHC V6 engine will be canceled after the pahse out of Oldsmobile.

* Very poor crash test scores (3 Stars front, 2 stars side) that further confirm the poor quality and structural rigidity of the Intrigue.

* Wonder why Oldsmobile was shutdown after all? :)

The Impala is a much more solid purchase.
    I wasn't really considering the Olds--just playing around with the prices on CarsDirect re: cast iron cylinder heads. I'm still deciding between Taurus vs Impala. I'd swung over to Impala (3.4) until I found out about the aluminum cylinder head. Will probably still go with Impala but am trying to find out about Taurus engine. I've looked everywhere on Ford web site and can't find info. I'll have to go to a Ford dealership and ask them. I'm guessing cars under $20,000 will lean towards the aluminum.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Are any of you who are located in or near central NJ interested in joining up with some of us Bonneville owners for a get together?

On Sunday April 22 in the early afternoon off exit 35 of Rt 80 (details still pending), we hope to have a great time of viewing each other's cars and just meeting each other. The more the merrier so if you are interested come on over to the Bonneville 2 forum and let us know or else email me (see profile).

Hope to see some gorgeous Impalas in NJ.

Best wishes to all from this Impalaphile.

Ken
    I believe the *basic* Ford Taurus sedan comes equipped with the 150HP 'Vulcan' OHV V6 engine. Needless to say, this is one of the most mediocre V6 engine in the market offered by Ford. GM gets bashed for having the excellent 3800 V6, but Ford gets no criticism for still building and selling that COW of an engine. I believe, the Ford Vulcan V6 has Cast Iron heads, but at 150HP you are better off saving all that money and buying a new Chevy Malibu that comes standard with a 175HP 3.1L OHV V6...

The Taurus SE and SEL I believe come equipped with the more acceptable (But still nowhere near as good as the 3800 V6) 3.0L Duratec DOHC V6 engine that churns out 200HP. The Duratec is mediocre when measured against other DOHC V6 engines in the marketplace. Reliability wise seems OK but I don't know if the heads are Aluminum or Cast Iron....

Iusecad..care to give us your FORD input?
    Kenbuzz,

Thanks for your thoughtful answer. You put a lot of work into it, and it is appreciated.

Let me ask you, or anyone else reading. How much difference is there in the 3.8 suspension vs. the base suspension? As I mentioned previously, I liked the ride of the rental I had, but I like crisp handling too. Don't think the two are mutually exclusive, but I won't get a 3.8 if I hear feedback that the suspension that you must get with it, rides a lot more harshly. Any thoughts?

Has anyone gotten an LS with the 60/40 seat? I understand it is not possible, but read a review that said it was. Just thought I'd check.

Thanks

Frank
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    is cast from aluminum. Both head and block itself:

http://www.gmpowertrain.com/engines_cartruck/other/35_main.htm

I wish I had not started this aluminum head matter. There are scores of fine and dependable automobiles using the Fe/Al combination. They are a little more sensitive to coolant maintence but that is a trivial cost. On overheating, one of the reasons to use Al components is that they dissipate heat more efficiently than iron. That, and weight reduction, has spurred on their use. Properly maintained, these engines are not a problem from my reading of the automotive industry. Whether you choose the 3.4L or the 3.8, I am sure you will be happy with your purchase.

To Stnel on the 1963 Corvette. It was definitely iron heads on iron block. The head gaskets most likely would have been copper. The first aluminum heads appeared on the Corvette in 1967 (RPO L89) and only 16 were made. They were offered on the 427cid, L71 435hp engine. I cannot recall how many L89s are left but I believe you can count the "real" ones on one hand. The number of imitations is over 100. Price now for the real thing is over $500,000. Just a little trivia.

http://students.umeciv.maine.edu/Clyons/L89.htm
    After reading it again, I must have noticed they were made of the same material and assumed cast iron.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I FINALLY got the Wheel Liners installed this morning! Look Great! Now I have to get those rear Flaps back one, I got a bonus at the dealer when I picked up my car, (2) Nice greasy finger marks on my headliner just infront of the sun visor, they put the keys up there..Grrrr!!!

On the the Intrique or any Olds the 5 year warranty is nothing more than the Basic 3 year 36,000 Mile Bumper to Bumper Warranty with 2 years of the Optional Warranty for 2 more years, the last 2 years only covers major Components that are listed and it is NOT Bumper to Bumper after the 3 years or 36K miles are up, But you get it for free and not $1000.00 or whatever it costs. I know because we looked at an Alero this afternoon, and a Tracker and a SS Monte Carlo and a few Base Impala's, We may replace the Z24 Cavalier soon... I really Liked the White SS Monte Carlo, it had CLOTH Seats and the Sunroof, I wanted to TRADE my Impala for it right then, Then I came to my senses, I know how you prospective buyers feel! What a RUSH! I have to stay away from car dealers or I will get the BUG!! Although a Monte SS And a LS Impala would look great in the driveway, not that the Impala LS and the Red Cavalier 1999 Z24 do not, It is just too small of a car! That is why it is over 2 years old and just turned 15k, My Impala is 16 mos old and just turned 16K.... Don
  • iusecadiusecad Member Posts: 287
    Ford Taurus info in a Chevrolet Impala forum:

3.0 Vulcan (the Cow :) ): I believe it's an iron block with aluminum heads. oh and its a whopping 155 hp. :)

3.0 Duratec is aluminum from head to toe...
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I fixed my B pillar buzz tonight. Turned out to be the seat belt retraction mechanism on the passenger side. It was secured tightly to the frame but had an internal rattle in the mechanism. Holding the edges of the unit securely calmed it down.

The trim pieces were designed and installed by a genius. I needed a single socket to take off the upper seat belt clip and the rest of the pieces snapped out and back in like a dream.

I stuffed a piece of folded cardboard between the mechanism casing and the pillar steel to dampen the vibration. A seemingly cobbled solution, but cheap and effective.

At 7200 miles that's the only problem so far. I love this car!
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    Frank,

I don't think the LS suspension is harsh at all. Firmer, maybe. I like it, but I would rather have the stiffer springs/struts from the police package, or the whole police package on my LS for that matter, for increased durability and handling in turns.

As far as the 60/40 seats, I don't think it is not possible. They don't makt it that way, but with a special order from the right dealer, with the right circumstances, maybe. Besides, the police package isn't stock and generally not available to the public, especially with the LS trim, but there's at least one here in Honolulu, and the "motorized, senior police officers that drive subsidized private vehicles may use the Impala among others, in stock form or any police packages available for that specific vehicle, with all the bells and whistles, too, if they want. Except for the sunroof. I'm not sure if they allow that. (They use a removable roof mounted metal strap for the single blue strobe light). So, it may be possible to get an LS special ordered with the 60/40.

Also, we have the new car show in town at the convention center this week, going to check out the new cars. Would be nice to add a new Chevy Trailblazer SLT to keep my LS company.

JACOB
    That new Trailblazer would look nice with the LS next to it. I looked at one in my dealer showroom and almost drooled on it. We already have a 250 Pick-up to tow the 5th wheel so we don't need the payment or the tow capacity for normal driving. Tried to talk the boss into her test driving one-(she's eyeing the GMC Envoy)- we'll see.
    Jijco,

Thanks for the response.

Yea, I am amazed that these sales people don't know if the 60/40 can be ordered or not. The two local Chevy dealers hemmed and hawed when I asked, and then looked in the glossy brochure they hand to customers, to find out the answer. Duh! I can do that. I sent an E-Mail to Chevrolet, and they said the bench seat' cannot be ordered on the LS, but my question was stated incorrectly (bench seat'). Maybe if I asked about 60/40 seat, I would have gotten a different answer. I don't get it. Aren't the base and LS manufactured on the same line? If so, what is the big deal to put in the 60/40 seat in an LS.

Not sure what you meant by a 'special' order. What, is it up to the dealer? What would they base the decision to put in a special order on?

Thanks

Frank
  • cyyzcyyz Member Posts: 37
    Don't know if, in the US, your option pkg's change from state to state but in Canada, the L36 engine pkg includes the custom aluminum wheels and touring tires. The 1SB pkg also includes the power heated side view mirrors and the AM6 custom cloth seat pkg must be denoted as trim level 'C' because the AM6 code applies to both the basic and upgraded interiors. The base interior is denoted as the 'B' trim level. So if you really want the upgraded custom cloth interior with the driver's power seat, side impact air bag, pull down rear w/ centre armrest, make sure they put down you want trim level 'C' and not just as AM6.
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    Well, I no longer have a hesitation problem with my 2000 LS impala. Not because it was repaired, but because GM repurchased the vehicle. Thursday, I signed the final papers and received the check from GM. What a relief. I liked the design of the Impala but do not feel bad about getting rid of it.

Everyone concerned with this buy back including the local Chevrolet dealer, The Better Business Bureau, and two guys from GM, located in Fla., were very efficient. Each time that I called any of the persons concerned, I would give them my name and they knew exactly who I was. Never any fumbling around to determine who I was and what I wanted.

I have abandoned the Impala line and have purchased a 2001 Buick Regal LS. I will pick the new car up sometime next week. Some people call this car an AARP vehicle. This may be true, I guess, but it should serve me well.

I would like to thank everyone on this message board for your concern and help in assisting me with this problem.

Ron
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    ... administrative interruption.

Sometime in the next week or two, the name of this discussion will be changed dropping the "XI" designation.

Now that we have moved to our new platform, we no longer have a requirement to stop and restart discussions after a certain number of posts have occurred. Therefore, this discussion can be regarded as the permanent home for Impala conversation. The "part number" designations on all of our discussions will probably eventually confuse new members, so we will be gradually dropping them from the titles.

We'll also be altering original discussions in the Archives to differentiate between the first and the current.

I just wanted to give you a heads up - and by the way, if you are subscribed to this discussion, a name change will not affect your subscription.

Thanks.

Pat
    Host
    Sedans and Women's Auto Center Message Boards
    The Royal Canadian Mounted Police (RCMP) are using them. There are quite a few in Canada's Capital (Ottawa). Today I parked beside an Ontario Provincial Police (OPP) version. That is our equivalent of State Troopers. Not at a donut shop, but the Bank, BTW. Pretty mean looking car, I must say. Had that push-bar up front and and the small hup-cap wheels. Seemed to have a bench seat but it was difficult to say at a quick glance with all that computer equipment installed where the console would be. I suspect it was a Base car with the 3.8L and the Police goodies. Single exhaust but the tires were somehow different. And I do not know why. I had just a brief chat with the Officer as he exited the bank. His only comments were that it is very comfortable as his "office, it handles and brakes exceptionally and it hauls %^$^ when pushed. I think he was pleased with his ride.
    Thank you for the head's up on the change. It really bothered me that things would change here, sometimes dramatic changes, and we wouldn't get any warning.
    Jacob, you are actually going? I went last year and I was really dissapointed. Only the state of Hawaii would build a convention center with no parking. The "million dollar car display" was 4 cars. A million doesn't go very far when you include a top of the line Lamborghini and Ferrari. It was a lot better when it was at the Blasdell
    We've hit the 2K mark on the Impala How-To page. To celebrate, I've been working on a new page with a list of TSBs and some new news and tips.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

These are addressed in TSBs. See the TSB and News page for the specific TSB numbers.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Someone wrote that their tires do not get rotated according to the pattern in the owner's manual.

What I have done to avoid this is mark each of the 4 tires with a white crayon ie: "TO LF".

Then I check what went where.
    This gives the guys a clue how I want it done. Approached with the right attitude, they haven't seemed to mind.
    Drove my Impala in some 50 mph winds + gusts today. Have to say it held the road pretty well and I was able to keep up with the idiots driving 70mph but I refused to do over 72 (let them be crash dummies!). The wind was really bad on the open road stretches and on the bridges but I felt secure and not as much movement as the old SUV. Average of 22 mpg but you would expect that. The real fun was watching my sons college team play Rugby in that wind- the ball literally got hang time! (They won by the way) Hope the weather is better wherever my fellow Impala owners are.
    It is indeed unfortunate that things came to that conclusion. Mais, c'est la vie. I am sure you will be very happy with your new Buick Regal and I wish you well with it. It is a fine auto although I do not know what an AARP is. What never ceases to imaze me is how so many people get satisfaction from a particular automobile brand/model but the majority just drive on and on without problems. I guess it is just the luck of the draw. But that cannot comprehend why GM cannot diagnose and remedy its own problems on a particular unit before going to the extent of buying it back. That one gives me problems! Why not just pull the engine and replace? That is cheaper than buying back the car.
  • scotsman93535scotsman93535 Member Posts: 40
    Platour

AARP is an organization that deals with older persons. They sell auto insurance and many different things at a reduced rate. When someone calls a car an AARP car, they really mean that the car is for old people.

GM could have replaced the engine, but the engine was not the problem. It was some component other than the engine, so replacing only the engine would mean that the problem would remain.

Ron