Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!
Options

Honda Prelude 1997-2002

Comments

• Options
    only1harryonly1harry Member Posts: 1,140
    check out Edmund's pictures and brief article on the new Acura RSX (Integra) which should be released as a '02 model as early as the summer. I 'm not crazy at all about its looks but that 2.0L 200hp motor should more than outperform the Celica..
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
    '11 BMW 335i coupe xDrive
    '13 Honda Accord sedan (wife's car)
  • Options
    jk111jk111 Member Posts: 125
    2 liter 200hp sounds good. But I wonder if they are going to reserve that for the Type R? But if they are going to make a rsx GSR with 200hp, count me in!
  • Options
    leftonlefton Member Posts: 8
    I changed my mtf at 10k. Soon, it will hit 20k and I will again. The drain plug is located at trans low point on pass side. Takes about 2 qts. I use only Honda mtf. Hope that helps, Doug
  • Options
    shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Thanks, Doug!

Now I can drive it for another 7k without worry about it!
  • Options
    mrnsx1mrnsx1 Member Posts: 2
    Hi there,

while we are on the subject of Manual Transmission Fluids, my car will reach 45k miles in about 2 months and I wanted to get the MT and coolant changed. I know Honda makes a big deal about putting only Honda brake fluid, coolant, transmission fluid in the owner's mantel. Just wondering 1.) if we really need to put only Honda products in the Prelude, or if I could just take my car to Jiffy Lube and just get them to do it with whatever product they put in there.
    2.) Is the Honda dealership the only place to buy those Honda made fluids?

Thanks.
  • Options
    qmercuryqmercury Member Posts: 9
    I looked at an excellent 1997 black over gray cloth 5 speed standard coupe Saturday that was offered at an asking price of $13,500. The car only had 32 thousand miles on it and had complete documented service history.

I still have no idea why it was so cheap. It was offered at a small Ford dealership in a backwoods Alabama town, so maybe they have no idea what good cars are really worth, or they just despise the Prelude in favor of the Mustang.

Either way this was a great deal, but I still don't have the cash (need to sell a 10 year old SUV privately first).

Being the first Prelude of it's generation that I have driven, I think my debate of the Prelude vs. Integra has been settled.

Also, has anyone ever tried pulling a trailer of about 600-800 pounds with a Prelude?
  • Options
    This is definitely not the Type-R. The next
    Integra (RSX) Type-R is supposed to have 220-225hp. The Civic Type-R has already been announced in Japan and will have a 215hp motor. Japanese magazines have talked about a full production 200hp Integra (GSR) coming out for a while now. The only thing that we 'll definitely not get is those 18" wheels. The RSX will most likely have 16 or 17" ones. Hopefully the torque will be around 150ft-lbs or so and from the looks of it, although looks can be deceiving it still looks small and light. I 'd say around 2700 to 2750lbs, I hope! Hopefully it will come with a nice SS exhaust (GSR doesn't come with a SS one), at least 2-2.25" wide. I estimate it to be in the low to mid 6's 0-60 because the new i-VTEC engines are supposed to be lighter than current generation VTECs.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    todtubbitodtubbi Member Posts: 1
    Hey, all you Lude fans--I need the straight scoop on a couple of questions I have about this car--base model.

1. How does this car performs in the snow? About like any front wheel drive car?

2. Is the 2001 model year the last year? Any thoughts about what that will do to resale values 4-5 years hence?

3. The Carsdirect price is $300.00 over invoice. Is this realistic? High? Low? I'm in the St. Louis/Southern Illinois market)?

4. How is the comfort of the car for a long (say, 400 mile) trip down the interstate?

All comments will be appreciated. Thanks.
  • Options
    mono1mono1 Member Posts: 7
    I own a '97 Prelude Sport shift and recently purchased Pirelli P7000 Super sport All-season tires. I live in Chicano, IL and we have had a great deal of snow this year. This car is terrible in the snow with these tires. The EM tires did a better job, but nothing amazing by any means. I seriously can't believe how poorly the car performs in the snow. It is dangerous to me and I also own a 2000 Ford Mustang T. My Mustang stops better than the Prelude in the snow. As far a starting from a dead the stop, the Prelude again is terrible. Put it this way, I can be at a green light lined up next to another front wheel drive car on a snow-packed road and the other car will take off like a bat out of hell compared to my Prelude. By the time we reach 25 mph the other car is easily three car lengths ahead of me. I can't believe how poorly these tires perform on a car such as the Prelude which has very little low-end torque. My Mustang has twice the amount of torque and much more at low rams. and it does slightly worse in the snow, but that is to be expected. The Mustang has more torque and it's rear wheel drive.
  • Options
    I realize the owner's manual says that this fluid will last something like 75K, but I have a hard time believing that. Any thoughts on when this should really be changed?

Remember I said I have an automatic trans. with 40K.
  • Options
    asethiasethi Member Posts: 76
    I've got the Pirelli "winter sport" winter tires on my (98, 5-speed) prelude, can't be much happier. No problems driving thru snow at all. During the last storm here in MA, i drove in up to 8 inches of snow without any problems. The good thing I've noticed about these tires is that they are very predictable and provide reasonably good handling for winter tires. Good grip on wet and dry as well.

mono1, I was in your situation before I got these tires, I know what you're talking about. But still, your all-seasons should not behave so bad, I had performace summer tires. What tire pressure have you got in your tires? Try reducing it by 2 psi and see..
  • Options
    jkidd2jkidd2 Member Posts: 218
    I have owned several Honda's, an '81 Civic Wagon, '91 CRX Si, a '96 Integra GSR and a '99 Prelude. I bought all of them new. The CRX was the best car I have ever owned. I traded in the CRX for the Prelude. Having always had great experience' with Honda's, I decided to stick with a good thing. I looked @ the Accord Coupe, but decided it was too popular. I bought the base model Prelude with a 5 speed tranny because I wanted the extra 5 horses the manual has over the auto (200 vs. 195 bhp). I also didn't want the trick suspension the Type SH comes with.
    I guess I bought this car too late in life. No doubt about it, it is a great car to own, if your about 22, single and short. Living in a large city (Houston) with dreadful traffic, the 5 speed (though sweet) has been a poor choice. In the City, I rarely get out of 3rd gear because of the heavy traffic, so the constant shifting and clutch work grows tiresome. Quickly.
    Inside, the front seats are comfortable (firm & supportive)in a grippy/sturdy black fabric. You have a choice of interior colors as long as its black. Switch gear and instruments are clear and have that great "quality" feel to them. Considering the Preludes price, it would be nice to have had automatic climate control. The air conditioning and heat perform well, although the switchgear design is an older looking slider design vs knobs.
    Getting into and out of the car isn't easy for my 39 year old body. The drivers seat comes with a manual height adjuster, which I have found to be useless since headroom is lacking no matter how I adjust the seat.
    With the 5 speed, if you have anything other than a small can in the cup holder(s), the drink will be in the way of shifting the gears. I always end up putting the drink between my legs!
    The back seat is not as bad as your told in most reviews (as long as your under 5'8). Getting in and out of it is a chore, but the front passenger seat slides forward to allow easier entry. There is even 1 cup holder back there!
    The base stereo CD sounds great to me!
    The option list for this car is limited. It comes standard with what I consider the basic "luxury" items, power windows, locks, mirrors, and moonroof. You can't get leather, the previously mentioned automatic climate control, a garage door opener in the visor and side airbags.
    Truck space is good (considering) and you can lay the back seat down providing even more room.
    Handling is this cars forte. Its ride is above par for a small sporty car, and it feels stable on most road surfaces. Road noise is fairly limited and much less than in our Integra.
    I read complaints about lack of low end power in Honda's. I wouldn't want it any other way...I love to "VTEC" my car...the feeling of being thrown back into the seat when it kicks in is nearly orgasmic (I said, nearly).
    I like the exterior design. I love the front end, especially the headlights. Side profile is good too, its low and sleek and the alloy wheels are sharp (not hard to clean either)! The rear end is a let down. Its not ugly, just boring.
    The exterior sheet metal FEELS delicate. I am careful not to park it near other cars for fear of getting door dings. The paint is easily marred by rocks thrown by those damn SUV's and trucks...
    A few quality issues have surprised me with my car. The weather stripping around the windshield is constantly coming out of place. I have taken it to the dealer on more than one occasion. All they do is put tape on it and let it sit in the sun, which never works for long.
    My "H" on the back trunk feels like it could fall off @ any minute.
    It rattles! Rattles began cropping up shortly after I bought it. This is the first Honda I have ever owned that has rattled this bad. I have taken it back to the dealer three times, first they oiled the moonroof gear, then attempted to tighten the PLASTIC (on a 25k car!)roof liner. Last time, they changed the back left strut. Now the same sound is coming from the right rear!
    These are all minor nit picks that have added up to a somewhat less than stellar experience in the 25 months I have owned the car.
    I hate to say it...but its been my least favorite Honda I have owned. I'm looking to trade it in soon. If Honda would bring back the CRX, I would be first in line to buy one!
  • Options
    blacktalonblacktalon Member Posts: 203
    If you're going to be doing a lot of driving on snow, you definitely want to get good snow tires. I have a set of Michelin Arctic Alpins on my Prelude. I've driven on fresh snow, packed snow, and even on ice, and I've had no problems at all. (I haven't driven through heavy snow yet, so I can't comment on that.) All-season tires just don't compare...
  • Options
    racerzrx7racerzrx7 Member Posts: 11
    Since you guys are talking about tires, I woulk like to contribute mine too. The original tires are very bad on the wet weather. I am living in CA and never experience my Lude on snow, but I can image how bad it would be. Could not understand why Honda did not use other tires type since the Prelude has been out there for almost 4 years already. They must have heard the feedback about these bad tires.
  • Options
    I have my tire pressure at 30 psi per the Honda recommendations. I did play around with different tire psi and noticed no difference. I almost wonder sometimes if my tire store actually put on Pirelli Summer Tires instead of the All-season. Do you have any idea how I could tell the difference? I think the tread patterns are the same.
  • Options
    After all you do have all-season and not really winter tires, so I'd not be sure what to expect of them in snow. You can go to the pirelli web-site and check what tires you have. My winter sport pirellis have the new DOT approval "snow flake in a triange" mark on then. You should also try talking to the place you got the tires from and see if they can change them or something.

By the way, I think the recommended psi for the prelude tires is 32 and not 30 (correct me if I'm wrong)?
  • Options
    canadianclcanadiancl Member Posts: 1,078
    Your post could have been written by me! I echo 90% of what you feel. I too have owned many Honda products over the years. Never had a Lude, but always wanted one. School, budget constraints, family, kids, etc have always precluded buying one. Finally at the grand old age of 40, bought myself a 2000 SH. And it was a letdown. It just wasn't as fun as I had envisioned. Yes, city driving with the stick was a pain. The tranny also felt notchy. Much tougher to climb in and out of at 40 then at 25, especially when wearing a suit and top coat. Previous car was a '95 Maxima. Missed the quiet power, room, Bose stereo, and other creature comfort items not offered on the Lude. Didn't think I would, but I did. I mean for Chrissake, for the money they charged for the SH, couldn't Honda have included climate control, a power driver seat, gas struts for the hood, and at the very least, an interior dome light in the middle of the roof where it should be!
  • Options
    akuma007akuma007 Member Posts: 6
    That's hard, but I would go with an Audi A4 1.8T Quattro. That thing can handle like crazy. Or more likely a 3.2 CL Type S. Fast, smooth, and luxurious. I don't like Auto's but I think it will do. Plus, It will spank any current 3 series (except M3) so it's a good choice.
  • Options
    shmangshmang Member Posts: 297
    Are you kidding us? The 1.8T is slower than a BMW 325, not to mention a 328, 330. Even with the Quattro, it is still just a sporty SEDAN. its performance is decent, but it is still not even in the GSR, Prelude, Celica GTS's category, not to mention spanking BMW 328, 330... The handle of 1.8T is just so, so...

Although with the same price, you get more luxury, but when talking about performance(stock that is), 1.8T cann't hang with a GSR that came out 6 years ago.

Back to the Prelude. Yeah, even with the base, they should add some features like gas struts for the hood, climate control, leather seat as an option(Although personally, I don't care about leather...) I always wonder, how much those will cost? like another $300 or less. Anyway, I don't know what Honda is thinking about!
  • Options
    derrickwongderrickwong Member Posts: 10
    There's going to be a new trim level starting March 1 in Canada. The SE will be $500 canadian more than the current base and will add leather seats, leather shift knob, carbon fibre trim, and the SH alloy wheels ... more or less the discontinued SH without the ATTS and spoiler.
  • Options
    kostamojen2kostamojen2 Member Posts: 284
    If your worried about snow, go check out a Subaru Impreza RS or the upcoming WRX... Snow tires on those puppies and you can put every other car on the road to shame when its snowing :)
    Oh, and I dont know of any other cars that can do doughnuts in the snow :D
  • Options
    leftonlefton Member Posts: 8
    Disagree about the trunk being good - 8.7' Way small. Disagree about adding more comfort items that add weight. Agree about head room at 6'2" I know getting a comfy drivers position is not easy, but this is common to sports coupes. Sounds like you both need to move up to Lexus IS300. Hope you are ready for $35k and a truly luxurious ride.
  • Options
    Thanks for the comments....I guess when I said the trunk space is good, I should have added considering its a sports coupe. I take the Lude to the grocery store sometimes and I'm always able to get all the bags in the trunk. On the rare occassions when I've needed to carry something large, it always fits with the seat folded down...so, it is good to me considering the overall size of the car.

Not sure how old you are, but @ my age, "comfort" items become really important. Problem with the Prelude staying around much longer is MOST of those that can afford one, want it to have more "luxury" and those that lust over one the way it is now, are too young to afford one...

But, your right...it would add weight...like I said earlier...I just bought it too late in life.

I have looked @ the IS, but was turned off by the gimicky instrument panel and I absolutely loathe the clear rear lenses. It looks great in yellow. Loved the commerical with then man sleeping next to his in the garage! Not sure if you saw, but Toyota is coming out with 2 other versions of the IS for 2002. Believe a hatch and a sport wagon.

Again, thanks for the comments.
  • Options
    kostamojen2: We have to draw a line between cars and snowmobiles somewhere :-)

On the subject of what I don't like about the car - the one thing that does not seem to bother anyone else but me, is that the shifter is a few inches too far from my arm's reach - specially when shifting into 5th. I don't know, maybe I have shorter arms ;-) I've gotten used to it now.

The cup holders may not be practical for most people driving a stick, but I just love them (and I do drive a stick). I carry coffee most times. Of course I can't put in a "grande" cup, but all other sizes fit in fine and I love the way I can just lift the cup and put it back like it's sitting on a side table - it just the perfect placement for me, I wouldn't want it anywhere else.

PS: An A4? Nope! An S4? Maybe, maybe not?
  • Options
    The Prelude is a sports coupe that appeals to younger people (25 or younger) and older 25-40..
    The problem is that the Lude for younger people that don't care about the extra luxury items but mainly performance. Thing is they can't afford the ~23-25K price tag and the people than can (30ish to 40ish) are dissatisfied with its limited interior and lack of certain amenities, comfort etc.
    I 'm 35 and lately have been thinking that my '99 GSR may be my last "true small" sports coupe. I too think I bought it a little too late but that's because I couldn't afford it earlier on top of the wife's family sedan, my small commuter Civic HB, kids, mortgage, etc. It's a blast to drive but since I modded the suspension (have been autocross racing with it which I 'm really hooked on) my 160 mi. a day commute is not as comfortable as I 'd want it to be. Handles great and VTEC is "almost" orgasmic but when I guess in my age (our age.. glad to see some people older than me here, hehe) I 'm beginning I 'm acquiring a test for more comfort, noise, better ride, etc.
    It sucks I must say because I love small sports coupes and hatchbacks and especially my GSR. Oh and I look forward to driving my brother's Type-R (he 's 36) every chance I get, but something tells me I might not be too happy in the long run or on my long commute in another RSX or WRX or what have you a year or 2 from now when I go trade in the GSR for something better. I think new Bimmers are way overpriced so I 'm already considering CL Type-S or IS300. Although I 'm not really happy about having to spend $30K+ (this would mean getting rid of the Civic too as I alternate between 2 cars to get to work due to the high mileage and not pile the mileage onto 1 car) I have to have a relatively fast car and a decent handler. An Audi 1.8T for me is not an option as it is slower than a GSR. I 'm even considering a GTI VR6 or 1.8T which I 've heard are very solid, stable and comfortable cars and not bad in performance either, especially with the new sports package. The VW would probably only be an option if I can't afford the $30K+ luxury sport sedans/coupes since they are around $22-24K. It's a little depressing but I don't know if I can buy another Integra or Prelude type car. My friend who is 30 and owns a '98 base Prelude already wants to sell it and get a Lexus, Infinity, BMW 323 or even a 330i if he can manage it. He says his commute into NYC is getting a little tiresome in the Prelude 5-sp.(once in the outskirts of the city, he 's stuck in traffic all the way to midtown..). This is a 30yr old saying this so it makes me feel good that I only started getting these feelings at 34-35 :-)
    Or I can say I 'm not an old fart yet, and continue owning little sports coupes and pocket rockets and continue auto-x racing because I don't think I can give that up. It's too much fun. I just can't see me racing in a Lexus, Infinity, or Type-S.. although people do, not many, but we do get some of these cars.. And I have to continue getting manual tranny cars so the wife can't drive them :-)
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    amlawamlaw Member Posts: 1
    I read with interest post 120 from derrickwong.
    I'm in the market for a new Prelude this spring and would like to find more info regarding the SE release. Also, where should I be buying from and how much should I be paying. I live north west of Toronto and can shop anywhere around Toronto central, north and west.
    My negotiating skills are somewhat lacking and I would appreciate some help.
    I'm looking for a 5-speed manual with a spoiler. I do not have a trade-in.
  • Options
    eflclleflcll Member Posts: 13
    I have a 2000 base Prelude. I've enjoyed the car very much. Its even got a very enjoyable hi way ride for longer trips. The handling of course,is great. However, over the last several months my rear suspension has developed a rattle on both sides of the car when hitting bumps. I've had it back to the dealer but they say they drove it and didn't hear anything (roads around the dealer are unfortunately smooth) and claim to have checked the suspension and found everything tight. Has anyone else had a problem like this so they could point me in some direction. I once had a 5 Liter Mustang with a similar problem and found it was a loose top shock mount. This really spoils my enjoyment of the car,and everyone who rides with me notices it. Hellllppppp......
  • Options
    Note my comments about my rattly '99 Prelude. I've had mine back several times because of phantom rattles. First they thought it was the plastic headliner, then they lubed the moonroof...I kept telling them it came from the rear of the car...finally they replaced my drivers side rear strut...that seemed to cut down on the racket for a couple of weeks...now its on the left side. Just haven't had time to take it back in. You might ask them to check your struts...of course mine rattles all over especially in cold weather...not real happy with my purchase...
  • Options
    Thanks for the reply. From the way the noise works, the struts would be a likely culprit. Had an '94 Accord before this and was so impressed with how tight it was at 50,000 miles. Thought the ultimate car would be the same but lower, lighter and about 50 more HP....thus the Prelude. I'm surprised to find that it isn't tight. Also get an annoying buzzy sound from somewhere under the dash. I've minimized this with tie wraps, but haven't totally eliminated it yet. I've been considering an Acura 3.2 TL Type S (when it comes out in March) for my wife, but my opinion of Honda is declining. Looks like I'll have to at least give the Dealer another try. I wouldn't mind buying aftermarket struts if I knew it would fix the noise, but I shouldn't have to.
  • Options
    Despite my criticism of the Lude, I must say mine was put together quite well. All the body panels fitted together very well. No unsightly gaps. No rattles. In fact the fit & finish was much superior to my current CL-S. I just credited the superior fit and finish of the Lude to the fact that it was built in Japan. Mind you, I only had it for about 5000km and didn't really have a chance to drive it hard. Maybe it takes a little longer for the rattles and other gremlins to materialize!
  • Options
    Maybe I just got one that isn't put together well...I have had no mechanical problems, but the problems with the rattles are very frustrating. I hold Honda in such high esteem, its been quite the let down. My '91 CRX didn't begin to rattle until it was about 5 years old. I use to stuff kleenex in the headliner to stop the rattles in it. Seemed to work!

I treat all of my cars with loving care. They are garaged @ work and @ home, always hand washed, maintanance schedule always followed, never driven "hard", etc...the Prelude is over 2 years old and only has 11k on it. It shouldn't rattle like this. This is how bad it rattles...my '99 Grand Am SE Sedan with 30k on it rattles less!

Our Integra GSR rattles too, but you can't really hear it because the road noise is so loud while driving!
  • Options
    Mine is a '98 with 55K miles on it and recently I've also noticed that the car seems to have developed a few rattles. I'm also hearing a hissing sound from the windows like they aren't closed completely - but they are. I don't know how long these noises have been there for, cause I always play the stereo quite loud. I took my speakers out for a day and got to drive the car for a while with no speakers and that's how I found out. It was kind of a shock cause I'm sure everything was okay at least 15K miles ago. I also take pretty good care of my car and never miss a service appointment. I also have extended warranty on the car so I'll talk to the dealership on my next service appointent - not that I'm expecting them to fix it, or even accept that the problem exists. HONDA DEALERS SUCK!!!

I really love my car and like Honda, BUT I'm not buying another Honda cause i don't have the patience/time to deal with the A** H***s who sell and service these cars.
  • Options
    You've given me alot to think about and work on. I'd like to resolve this because I basically like the car and it only has 5.5K miles on it! Its funny, but I picked this car over the VW VR6 Golf because I thought quality of car would be superior. I'm going to work on the Dealer some more. Thanks.
  • Options
    derrickwongderrickwong Member Posts: 10
    I live in Alberta so I cannot advise on a dealer in your area. What I would do is try to negotiate the best deal you can with one dealer and shop that price around at other dealers. Tell them I've negotiated price X at dealer A, can you do better. Try not to go back and forth between dealers. Test drive your car at dealer A and goto dealer B, if dealer B gives you a significantly better deal then take it.

I saw the article on the SE Prelude at www.canadiandriver.com, goto the auto news section.
  • Options
    5gen_prelude5gen_prelude Member Posts: 11
    The dreaded shock-knock problem:

http://www.sonic.net/~danm/lude/shock_knock_TSB.gif

• Options
    pae35pae35 Member Posts: 1
    Hmm. Well, I have an '88 lude, with 74K miles on it (low, granted!), live in Illinois with all the bad winter weather (i.e., big potholes!) and don't have a single rattle, etc. Guess the [non-permissible content removed] were more consciencious in those days?! Too bad the newer ones aren't as reliable in this regard. It has been a fabulous car; perfect, you might say. I'm having a hard time parting with it. But it's time to buy a new car, after 13 years (if I could only find one as reliable!).
  • Options
    cochesecochese Member Posts: 19
    Being the proud owner of a '97 Type NH, I don't want to come off as a jerk, but I need to set the record straight about the differences between a base and SH.

I'm only going to talk about what I am sure of (I have the service manual for the '97 prelude) but I would think most of this is translated to the newer years.

I'm going to list all of the differences for the two models:
    1) Camshaft lift base SH
    IN primary 1.3402 1.3402
    IN mid 1.4510 1.4657 higher
    IN Secondary 1.3768 1.3768
    EX Primary 1.3285 1.3285
    EX Mid 1.4300 1.4450 Higher
    EX Secondary 1.3655 1.3655

2) Different length valve springs.

3) Alignment, front wheel turning angle different

4) Different processes for alignment of caster due to different radius rods/design.

5) Radius rod is much beefier on the SH.

6) Smaller diameter sway bar on SH, Differently mounted than on Base.

7) differ front springs on SH model (must be to compensate for the smaller sway bar).

8) Different front Knuckel, steering connects higher on SH.

9) Identical rear suspension.

10) Slightly less coolant in the SH.

Without calling a honda dealer, I can't tell if the front shocks are different.....

P.S. The acoustic feedback system does work with different headunits, the amplifier/mic system is mounted under the rear deck, and my alpine works great with it!

That's all I got....
  • Options
    This service bulletin seems to be right on the money! I'll be able to take this to the dealer at my next appointment. I wonder if the new damper collar they use for replacement is the same one or if they have an improved version of it. Also, where do you go to see if there are any service bulletins for your car?
    Anyway...a very large thank you!
  • Options
    jsh139jsh139 Member Posts: 42
    For most cars and trucks:

http://www.alldata.com/recalls/

and

http://www.nhtsa.dot.gov/cars/problems/

HTH,

-Josh

• Options
    They must 've put a smaller front sway bar in the SH because it gives it less understeer and a little more oversteer, thus better handling. A thicker sway bar in the front will reinforce the front suspension and chassis but will give you more understeer (the front of the car pushes straight when you want to turn) than the same car with a smaller front sway bar because now the rear is beefier than the front. This is what you want so you don't feel the effects of a FWD car which tend to understeer a lot. GSRs and Type-Rs have a 24mm front sway bar. Many people that auto-x or do other types of racing, will install an Integra LS 22mm front sway bar in their GSRs and Type-Rs so they can a little bit of oversteer or to get the car to behave more like a RWD one. RWD cars are inherently better handlers but harder to drive because you have to work on controling the rear of the car so it doesn't come out or countermeasure the "fishtailing". A little oversteer and NO understeer is what you want when auto-xing or for better handling. This is why the Prelude SH's are better auto-xers than the base Preludes that I 've seen. Most of the Prelude SH owners turn off (pull the fuse) the ATTS system when they race so I know it's not the ATTS system that gives them better track times than than the base Ludes.
    Car & Driver had an article on King Motorsports (the official Mugen aftermarket parts distributor in the US) where they took a Type-R and modded it. One of the mods was a smaller 22mm front sway bar.. and another was a 24mm rear sway (instead of the 22mm that it comes with in the rear). This however they said made the car oversteer too much which is why they were only able to get .92g out of (up from .90g) it in the skidpad with street tires. They screwed it all up. SCC mag. had GSRs & Preludes with a 1.0g on the skidpad because they did everything right. Goes to show you these big shot racing shops don't always get it right.. For anyone that doesn't know King Motorsports has produced many race winning "Mugen" Type-Rs in the last 3-4yrs.
    Anyway, I was a little surprised to see these changes between the 2 Ludes, especially the valve springs one! and btw, if the springs are different in the front for the SH, you can bet the shocks are different. They have to match the springs or the different spring rates with different shocks for the car to be well balanced.
    '99 Integra GSR
    '06 Civic LX coupe
  • Options
    x_ludex_lude Member Posts: 1
    I purchased a base model prelude with 5 spd last year and I've had a recurring problem shifting into second gear when driving the car in the morning when it's been off for awhile. The problem is that the it seems very "notchy" and it really feels like the shifter is hitting something hard when shifting into second. This problem goes away after I've been driving the car around for awhile without shifting into second.

I've taken it to a dealer who test drove it and found the shifting to be a little "notchy", but normal while the transmission fluid gets up to operating temperature.

Is this really normal? Any comments would be welcome.
  • Options
    I've got the same thing....its especially bad in colder weather and mornings. 2nd gear and reverse.

I made an appointment to take mine in for the "shock-knock" problem this Friday.
  • Options
    Most Honda dealers (I know) would put regular engine oil in trasmission unless you specifically ask for Honda MTF. Some folks on this forum have had good results with switching back to Honda MTF. You might wanna give it a try.
  • Options
    I think the Lude's notchy tranny is quite common, and to me, very disappointing given all the rave reviews from car mags such as C & D on what a great 5-speed it is. My service manager actually told me that the Lude's tranny wouldn't be fully broken in until about 20,000km. I found that incredible.
  • Options
    sugarstar1782sugarstar1782 Member Posts: 2
    My local Honda dealer has a 2000 automatic Prelude still on its lot. I was just curious as to what would be a reasonable price to pay for this car?
  • Options
    below invoice
  • Options
    I called my dealer a couple of days ago with the service bulletin info you(jkidd2) gave me on the 'shock knock' problem. He claims they checked but never found one when I had my car in. So I've been trying to get them to check this out and order the parts so I can get an appointment to get them installed. They keep putting me off. Seems like my business isn't very important to them. I don't understand how places like this stay in business. These people 'never' call me back about anything! I'm getting pissed off calling them. I may have to announce which dealership this is soon to help other potential Honda customers in my area to stay away from them.
  • Options
    eflcll, I feel your pain. For the past 2 weeks I've been trying to get just a service appointment from 3 dealerships in my area but it seems like they don't need my business. The first one was giving me an appointment after one month and the other two didn't even bother to call back to confirm - could be a "supply and demand" thing. I don't know what to do now cause my car's due for a major service (which I'd prefer to be done by honda people, and I have a few warranty issues as well) and I will be travelling a lot during the next month.

Can anyone suggest an alternative place in Massachusetts? I'd still have to go to a dealership for warranty issues later, though. :-(
  • Options
    I hate to hear you guys are having such troubles with your Honda dealers. I guess I am one of the lucky ones...my dealer here in Houston has always been very responsive.

This week, I sent them an e.mail requesting an appointment, I attached the service bulletin and within 10 minutes, the service mgr. called me, told me that I could bring the Prelude in Thursday evening, they would have a loaner car for me to use and I could pick the Prelude up Friday after work.

They even wash my car when I bring it in....I've never had to wait more than a couple of days for an appointment. They are always helpful, always return my calls, they are pleasant to deal with, etc....they even call me a couple of days after I have taken my car in (even for an oil change) to see if everything is okay!

Check them out @ http://www.johneaglehonda.com/

Another cool thing they do is periodically invite their customers to speedways and drag strips and let you race each other or the clock. All you have to do is registar. They usually send you an invitation in the mail....

By the way, if you can't find a local Honda dealer your happy with...try an Acura dealer...sometimes they offer same/similar pricing for service. I take my '96 Integra GSR to my Honda dealer too since I like the service I get there.

Good luck to you. I'll let you know if the "shock-knock" problem in my Prelude is fixed upon return from the dealer Friday p.m..

Best...

• Options
    I've even tried an Acura dealer - even worst! I made an appointment just for a minor service and when I got there it took them 50 minutes over the scheduled time to even start working on the car!! Service was also not good - they did not look up any reference material for service and assumed things for a "4 cylinder honda" - wrong tire pressure (even different psi in each tire), less oil than specification (had to put in 1/2 quart myself), did not reset the service indicator (this is nothing serious as I can do it myself later, but it shows you they're not looking at a service manual/check list, and then I wonder what else they could have missed that I can't see?)

Now, I don't mean to sound like I'm and expert on cars and every Honda dealer sucks. I never had a problem at the dealership in New Jersey - where the car was originally bought.

Anyone knows how's the job market in Houston? ;-)