Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    Just an FYI on the "good" AMP. Chuck Hutton is quoting $184.28 for those of you that don't want to waste the time aurguing with your dealer.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    The Locking Stant Gas Cap doesn't have a tether. So when you replace the original gas cap you carefully pull out the plastic tether and save it for a spare.
    Cat Back Exhaust is the exhaust system from behind the catalytic converter to the exhaust tip (end). Due to emission laws you can only modify your exhaust system after the catalytic converter. There are exhaust systems that go from the engine (headers), hookup to catalytic convertors (have to keep the originals for 5 years) and on back to the tip(s).
    Flow Master is the name of an aftermarket company that manufactures low restriction, great sounding mufflers. They use internal baffles to cancel the sound vice fiberglass and other sound absorbing materials used in other mufflers.
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Thanks for the Response!

Are you sure it was the Service Indicator light? There are two on the Impalas, the "SERVICE VEHICLE SOON" light which is completely emissions related, and the CHECK ENGINE(LIGHT OR MESSAGE Depending on if the car is in the US or Canada) which stores "hard" codes, etc etc.

The Airbag light should be checked out! If there is a short somewhere it has to be repaired! OF course with all intermittent problems, the Dealer will never find it, and you will continue experiencing it! LOL

Paul
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Teo (and/or anyone else in Florida); we're driving down to Orlando over the next couple of days - what's the wildfire status currently? Just wondering if we should expect any delays/detours along the way. Oh yeah, I'll be driving my '00 Impala, so that makes it pertinent to this board. ;-)
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I have had my series 50 flowmaster on for about 9 months now, don't know if it helps the horsepower or not but it sure sounds boss...I believe "boss" is a technical term btw.
    Just to make sure, that Hutton has the actual "new" amp the 103 series amp and not the 104. It is my understanding that the new amp (103) is not available at this time to order, unless Kim has got the same source as my service manager does...
  • kenbuzzkenbuzz Member Posts: 99
    332697/3.8L/LS/04-01/KenBuzz/Lexington Park,MD/Sandrift
    Go to radio fourm...
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    Yes, you can still use the tether on the GM locking gas cap - although it's a little tricky to get on.

It's been a year and a half ago but it I remember it costing about $10-$15.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I was only looking at the Stant cap because I went to the dealer and was told that a locking cap was not available. Goes to show that the information here is better than the dealer. Thanks Dura!
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Looks great Tom! I can look out my window here at work and see an almost identical sight! My navy blue 2001 LS with multiple coats of Zaino. It is by far the best shine out there.

Getting my windows tinted next week. Once they're done I'll finally get some pictures posted.
    Brad
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    If you posted a smaller picture - preferably not wider than 640 units - it would keep everybody's messages from running off the screen - especially those of us on laptops and 15 inch screens.

Thanks.
  • alanwagenalanwagen Member Posts: 28
    I found a locking gas cap at Auto Zone. It was $12.99.
    All cars should come standard with one.
    Alan
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Do you still have the E-mail address for Don Parkinson, Impala Brand Manager??
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Was it the Stant one?
    No it is not. Not sure of the brand but get this.
    It was made in Israel. That is a long way from
    Fort Worth TX. Seems to work fine.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Lets us know what percentage tint you go with.
  • p2001p2001 Member Posts: 7
    I have had a hood leading edge bra on my 2001 for six weeks. Took it off today to do a polish job on the hood and the rest of the car. Nearby Norway Red Maple had dropped a lot of pollen on the car which concentrated under the bra. I now have what seems to be permanent yellow spots in my Galaxy Silver paint. Tried 3M polishing and finishing compound as well as regular polish. I will not dig any deeper with these componds. Clear-coat may be violated. Those spots will not come out. I guess I have to live with them. Just a warning re bras.
    Well, I have found the angle that shows the impala in the best light.
    As i am writing this i am in our beachhouse which is raised about 8 feet off the ground. I am looking down at the impala about 25 feet away, three quarter front view. I can see the bulging front fender then an almost coke bottle shape to a bulging fender over the back wheel. About perfect.
    Now if we can get them to do a little work on the rearend it will be as good as the front and side view.
    I have also noticed how short the hood is in comparison to the intrigue. Much easier to wash.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    If any of you have ever parked on an incline such as up step driveways, do you notice the tranny shifting HARD out of P? If I didn't know any better, I'd think the transmission fell out!

tomaso7 - Sweet looking ride! The Zaino is some good stuff!
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    I ALWAYS use my parking brake (particularly on inclines). I keep my right foot on the brake, shift into Park, apply the parking brake, THEN remove my foot from the brake. When I get back in the car I put my right foot on the brake, shift out of park, release the parking brake, then remove my foot from the brake.

I never have any problems with the transmission shifting hard out of park.
    Thanks for the quick reply! That was info I can start using now! I'll try it!

Guess that leads to another question/statement - My LS ALWAYS has play in the P "gear" when parking the car. I figure it will roll about an inch or two after releasing the brake.

Is that from the tranny gearing or the brake system??

Thanks!
    RR
  • regulator75regulator75 Member Posts: 31
    284345/3.8L/LS/0301/Regulator75/Calgary,Alberta
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    A couple inches of play in the park gear is normal. However, the owner's manual strongly recommends using the park brake to keep the car from 'leaning' against the park gears on inclines. The 'hard shift out of park' literally grinds those park gears and will eventually round them off. I'm sure you've seen cars with worn out park gears whereby you can push them around a parking lot while in park and simply hear a 'click click click' as the park gear teeth are bypassed because they can't grip anymore. Ouch.

Yes, bh0001's advice is exactly right and is the best way to treat your tranny.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    The other eve my wife and I were eating at a place across from a large Chevy dealer in Chandler AZ.

I made the comment that we hardly see other Impalas. I thought that was odd since there are so many built every month.

The next day on the way home across Ray road in Chandler i see a white 2001 LS with spoiler delete at the 101 and Ray. In another 300 feet a Silver LS passes us. We get to the next traffic light and a blue LS pulls up along side of us.

My wife had never seen the blue color in person. She about put her face against the drivers window looking at the blue LS while sitting in the passenger seat!

Another mile down the road a red Impala passes us going the oppisite direction on Ray road.

So i will not comment on "not" seeing very many Impalas on the road any longer. ((-;

Tony
    I am surprised by the lack of impala inventory at my local dealerships. I think they are missing out on a lot of sales, because they don't have what the buyer wants. Finding a blue spoiler delete impala is about impossible.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    In the past 6 weeks or so, I have seen more red Impalas in Orange County, CA then any other color Impalas.

Personally, I find the red Impalas disgusting looking (red with red taillights, yuck!). I don't mean to offend anyone on this board who owns a red Impala. It's just my opinion.
    wyoimp: Thanks for the response concerning the exhaust.

hunter39: I take it you’re happy with the 50-Series Flow Master? At idle is it much louder than stock. I don’t need to wake the neighbors, leaving at 5:30 am each morning. I take it that installation was just a matter of swapping mufflers?

Concerning the AMP, I specifically gave her the 103 part number. She said she was ordering it directly from GM.
    For information on the amp, another source has it cheaper than Hutton if you're interested.

As for series 50 Flowmaster, you can't hear it at idle, the growl comes when you hit the throttle, the rev limiter will cut it out before it gets too loud, at idle it's the same as the stock muffler. You'll notice the most noise when entering traffic on a freeway, nice growl...
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    Frank, I looked around here at work and I can't find it. Bet it's at home somewhere written down. I actually keep a folder of "CAR ONLY" stuff in the Impala (it's in the rear seat pocket which seems to not be standard in the 2001 models... geez) I will look there. I'll let you know as soon as I give up.

New for me.... a trip planned to Lake Tahoe for early October. The drive is about 650 miles one way. This would be the FIRST long trip in the Impala and the first on interesting roads. Can't Wait!!! Gas her up and go...
  • woo_bywoo_by Member Posts: 28
    what inlet/outlet diameter fits on the Impala?

did you get a new intake as well?
    I believe it was a 2 and 1/4 inch if I'm not mistaken. The flowmaster I got was a 2and 1/2 but they can fix that no problem. No I didn't get a new intake. It's possible that the extrordinarily long resonator on this car will cut down on the sound of this series 50. It probably would be louder if not for that.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    Was at Richard Chevrolet, Cheshire, CT yesterday.

A big Chevy-only dealership, where I bought my 98 Malibu. GM recently considered it to be the best in US in service satisfaction.

http://www.richardchevy.com/

Walked around the lot while waiting for my wife to pick me up. Saw only five new Impala: two LS, dark-red and green, and three base, one of them torch-red. The LS are loaded - sunroof, comfort package, etc.

Probably, high demand and low supply, plus dealers do not want to stock many 2001 cars when the next year model will appear in August-September.

I do not like the bright red color with big cars, but the Impala was not so bad. Saw a bright-red MB last week - this was really awful. Did not pay much attention to the red base Impala on the dealer lot, though. Do not know how it looks from the back.

On the other hand, I like the dark-red color. The Impala LS in green looks even better from front and side, but not from the rear. The big rear-light panel does not fit well with green. The dark-blue, probably, is the best currently, when the "Auburn Mist" and light blue are not available any more.

Of course, all of this is just my tastes...

Do you have a single or duals? If they're duals how was it done? Was there an option to replace the resonator with a staight piece of pipe?
    Lake Tahoe sounds like a beautiful place to enjoy a nice peaceful vacation....

We might be heading there sometime next year.
    I am fast approaching to 1,200 miles. Would it be too soon to schedule its first oil change??
  • hogboyhogboy Member Posts: 84
    Teo, no thats not too early. My dealer recommended I bring our LS in between 1k & 1.5k for 1st change. You want to get any particles out of there from initial break-in. Then I would stick to the 3k rule after that assuming you stay with dino oil. When I get a new bike or truck I always have the oil & filter changed in that range. Better overkill.
    I'd say it is never too early. I am at about 2300 miles and plan on calling the dealer today to schedule the first change. I suppose it depends on the Service Dept. If they are usually extremely busy, the earlier-the better.

I don't plan on waiting for the oil life monitor to tell me it is time. Every 3k, religiously is how I will handle the oil. If it goes in a couple hundred miles early, so be it.

RR
    just called the service dept. at my dealer to schedule that oil change...

Get this. First come, first serve walk-in's ONLY M-F, 8am-11am and 1pm-4pm.

Interesting, but I can see this posing a problem.

RR
    I appreciate all responses. My dealer is open from 8AM to 2PM on Saturdays, plus they have the 'Under 29 minute' oil change pledge.

I don't want to wait to make the first change of oil beyond 1,500 or 2,000 miles. Right after that I'll stick to the every 3K miles schedule.

Nathan, any objections as to make the first oil change at 1,200 miles???
    It's a single exhaust, I replaced the tip though while they burned off the muffler, figured why not, plus it looks nicer. I supposed you could delete the resonator all together, however I don't knw what it would do to the sound. The welder who put mine on, says it's the biggest resonator he'd ever seen.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    $1.36 for Regular unleaded today! 2 Weeks ago it was $1.86....Glad to see it coming down, But for how long? Oh yea this is in Cincinnati, OH Don
    Thanks hunter 39 for the info. I think the resonator is the reason thers's a hump in the interior.
    Oil Change - I did mine at 600 miles, changed the filter also. I'm getting the dealer 3 Month oil change ( Mostly short distance driving) this coming week. The oil is still a nice golden color.
    3k on oil changes may be a waste of oil and money.
    With better oils and better engines, things have changed.
    Click and Clack (Car Talk) recommend 5k on oil changes. On 2001 Buicks the oil change interval is 10k. I concur on this as at 3k my oil has not hardly changed color. Works for me and I have got 117k on a Lumina and it uses no oil.
    Mine is changed every 3000 miles almost religiously. Not all oils are equal.
    Especially when dealing with engines that are designed to run hot.
    My camaro literally kills cheap oils in about 2500 miles.
    My IROC is designed so that the second cooling fan does not come on until 230 degrees or until the A/C is turned on. Thats a lot of temp for an oil to deal with.
    With a cheap oil i can actually see the oil pressure drop at 2500 miles.
    I stay away from quaker state and the pennsylvania crudes.
    I have had okay luck with castrol, but valvoline beats them all. It holds oil pressure the longest and does not breakdown. Highly recommended.
    My impala will get its oil changed every 3000 regardless of what the manual says.
    Cheap insurance.
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    Hello 00impala. Your gas prices have dropped big time. Where I live in NJ the gas prices have only come down by 2 cents... average price for 87 grade here is $1.72. I hope the prices dive like your area did. It would be a blessing. SUV sales have gone sour due to the gas prices.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    I just drove Maine - Pa - Niagara Falls (whoops wrong turn!) - Maine for 1400 miles in my 00 Bonneville. The Niagara piece was a spur of the moment decision to spend some more time behind the wheel since I enjoy driving so much.

The gas prices here in NH & Maine are around $1.59 for 87 octane. I saw $1.49 in Scranton Pa and $1.59 in Buffalo NY.

Ken
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    Cookie - sounds terrific! I'd love to see that someday. Hmmm - maybe another detour from PA to ME on my next biz trip? lol

Ken
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    Yowza, sounds like most of you folks aren't into the Torch Red. I actually was shopping for a white Impala when I started, but ended up purchasing Torch Red, well, because I liked it the most. Actually I figured if I bought any other color I'd always see the red ones and wish I'd gotten them instead.

Not to take anything away from the other colors. Actually most of the colors are strikingly pretty and IMO white is probably the worst as far as "wow, that's pretty" effect.

I take no offense to others' comments about the red, but I think it's gorgeous. The taillight section doesn't match perfectly, but it certainly doesn't make me say "yuk". I just hope the red doesn't sun-fade and deteriorate like the reds of the 70's and 80's. I'll just keep it polished and garaged and hope for the best.

As I always say, "I'm glad everyone isn't just like me...if they were I'd have a heck of a time getting along with anyone else".