Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I didn't chime in becasue I'm one of the older ones I guess, I'll be 40 this month...and I could care less about how old the oldest is, I buy for style, but also reliability in fact more so. Both previous cars were "grandpa cars" A 93' LTZ Caprice (that monster was fast!) and an 85' Caprice. I like big cars and big engines, since I couldn't get a 96' SS I got this instead, haven't yet regretted.

Teo, Cookie wouldn't want you to mention she is also a Grandma! And don't forget Sweetpolly and that beauty Regal Blue LS just like mine...
  • 9899olds9899olds Member Posts: 202
    garypen:::::you backed right into another fan; you should look before you cross the street.. That's one of the first rules in development..

As you know Modern Maturity magazine is something for senior reading and covers topics reserved for us mature citizens..

The Impala for the last year has replaced the LeSabre on the two-pages inside front cover car..How do you like that; for all you youngsters are driving the #1 old-fart car..

Really should make you feel good because it cuddles you like the old farts did once..

Do I love motor mouths or not????
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    Let's see how far in the other direction age goes. ;-)
    I'll be 51 next month. Got tired of the nasty 605 Ultra Drive transmission in my '91 Grand Voyager, plus my guys are at the leaving home age. My wife and I were ready to leave the minivan set! When my younger son told my older son what we bought the response was "I knew when I left they would get a big fast car!" When my wife and I met - she had a dog '78 Mustang and I had a '80 Datsun 200SX w/ 5spd.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I turned 33 yesterday 8/5/01 and didn't post it because I thought it would be overkill, but what timing to explore different ages, When I was growing up all of my mothers family drove Chevrolets, 1960,64,66,68,69 Impala's, then some Monte Carlos in the mid 70's and pickups, My fathers Family drove all Fords, So I can appreciate both nameplates, I would like to find a '68 Impala Convertible like my one uncle had that I used to ride in and play in while it was parked outside the house before it sat for while then was sold, It was Dark Blue with Light Blue interior and a Black Ragtop, had a 327 as was cool! It had the typical mid 1970's Chrome Wire basket rims and raised white letter tires and had some great curb appeal! I think it was sold around 1985....I should have snagged it! Someday! Don
  • daveleckdaveleck Member Posts: 16
    I find it odd how many of us are clustered right at this age. I bought my 2001 LS shortly after turning 32 (I thought I was the youngest Impala owner out there.)

Dave
  • spider717spider717 Member Posts: 106
    Don't try to race a Ford(ugg!) Contor, well the sports model anyway. I had him until my car shutoff at 110 MPH and he kept on going. GRRR!!!!!!

Worst part was I saw his friends turned around and laughing. =/

As for what cars can be beaten. Well I love racing those "cool" guys with their girlfriends, nothing better than beating some 18 year old driving a little honda while his little girlfriend watches.

Now if they only made a 5 speed manual trans....mmmmmmmmmmmm
  • frankf3frankf3 Member Posts: 96
    The diagrams would certainly be helpful, I look forward to when you get around to getting them posted. Thanks Again!!
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    You have owned 4 times as many cars as I have.
    1. 1971 LeMans (1 yr)
    2. 1970 Chevelle Malibu (16 years & paid $300 )
    3. 1971 Camaro 350/4sp (1 year)
    4. 1972 Chevelle (1 winter)
    5. 1985 Monte Carlo SS (11 years and counting, 93k)
    6. 1991 S-10 Blazer 4x4 (6 years and counting 162k)
    7. 2000 Impala LS (1.5 years, 4,600 miles)

I feel like an old man on this site, will be 37 a month from tomorrow.
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    I'm kinda tired of this 107mph cutoff....is anybody making a performance chip for this car, or is there some kind of a bypass?????
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Put me down for the age group of 47.

One grown son(28 in december) He left home years ago. Yep we started the kid thing young. I was a grandfather at 42.

Impalaboy2001 call Super Chip. They have a re-programer for the 3.8 if my old memory serves. ((-;

Carwise; I currently own 12 vehicles and 1 car trailer. I found another Crosley wagon in the San Diego area, maybe 13 cars soon.

Mind you, not all of these cars run & drive. Only 6 run & drive.

Tony
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    A co-worker of mine has his whole house wired using the x-10 system that allows you to program the lights in the house using the computer. I purchaced the IBM home director kit and a remote (like a tv remote) and can turn lights on and off with it. I have visited the homelink site and plan on using the other 2 buttons in the Impala to program lights. Has anyone tried this yet, I can't wait. I will have to put this info on my website if it works.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    I wasn't really happy with the diagrams so I went all out and created another How-To article.

http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

Glad I didn't try this without the manual...

• impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    crosley4: Would you have the website of the guys selling the performance chip for the 3.8??

Chris
    I found a listing for splash guards for a 2001 Imp.

http://store.yahoo.com/spoilers4less/consplasguar43.html

Has anyone tried these yet?

• caslcasl Member Posts: 33
    Add another one to the 30-something group. I'm a 32 year old step-mom to two boys. I bought my 2k Impala in August 1999 when I was just a mere 30 years old. I loved the trunk space (for all their sporting gear) and the seating for 6 has come in handy on many occasions (although the boys behinds are getting a little too big for the front middle seat).
  • I do not recommend the "Contura" spash guards from spoilers4less. They are a generic, universal-fit design. I purchased them, and immediately returned them.

I recommend the GM guards made specifically for the '00-02 Impala. The rear pair need to be modified somewhat with a knife for the '01 and possibly '02. For more info on the modification, go to http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/Rear_splash_guard.html

The part numbers are 12496349 (front) and 12496350 (rear), and are available from www.partszoneonline.com for $22 a pair. It should take about 45 minutes to install all 4.
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    According to the Chevy website, the new 2002 Impala page should be up and running on August 31st.

For the new 2002 owners: Any visible differences?

I know that the first major refreshning of the Impala is to take place in 2003.
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I leave for ONE WEEK of flyfishing and you folks rack up more than 200 posts. Sheesh!

Garypen: welcome, you're new to me, but I know right where you are on the CL/Impala comparison. My next door neighbor and great friend bought a CL after watching me wash and wax my Impala for a year. She loves her car. I've ridden in it many times and I can clearly see the differences in the fit and finish of her car. She's not the world's greatest driver, so I don't know about the power, and pick up differences. But I still love my Impala WAY better. I know I paid much less than she did for her car and got a great engine and plenty of room. It's all in the priorities. (P.S., I would LOVE to replace the tires on my car as well, but haven't had the extra $500 laying around yet...)

20-somthings: We're covered in slackers on this board now!!! Yes, I'm 37 and a grandma (step), so I believe that beats you all!!!!

Vacation: Used that bench front seat many times during vacation. The other families came in a Honda accord and a Chevy Tahoe (2-door) and my car carried the most people with the best comfort. Good thing that 7 year old digs riding up front tho... I wouldn't want to cram myself into that middle spot for more than 10 miles or so...hehehe.

The visable difference in the 2002s is that Teo and I won't be in the brochure... Sigh... Good thing I have about 50 copies in my pantry just to re-live those days of fame.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Got back from my 8 day vacation on Sunday. Was up in the NC mountains then over to Atlanta.
    Car was terrific the whole week. Did a lot of demanding drivng looking for property and was especially impressed that i never had a creak or a rattle. Even over washboard gravel roads. The ride quality was excellent over these rough roads.
    That is quite a feat considering i had 33-34lbs of air in the front tires.
    Excellent mountain car, as good as my intrigue in the twisties. Better ride quality to boot.
    The extra inch of wheelbase offers more rear legroom and my mom and my sister never complained.
    Trunk was big enough for all of our stuff too.
    The only thing i was dsappointed in was the gas mileage. I was expecting 30 mpg and never broke into the 28 mpg range.
    The DIC is very accurate on long trips. On the way up the DIC said 27.8 mpg and i recorded 27.75 mpg.
    I am a fast driver and set the cruise between 79-81 mph. There seems to be a 2 mpg difference between 79 mph and 81 mph.
    On the way back from Atlanta we took a two lane road and would say that the passing power is adequate. This is where my intrigue excelled.
    The impala screams for a DOHC motor. It would really make the car.
    By the way, the impala's seats are much more comfortable than the intrigue's.
    Good to be back, although i am missing the 75 degree temperatures that i left in NC.
    I am 38.
    Welcome back!

Great report...the Impala is an excellent road trip car!
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Judging from the responses so far, it looks like I might end up in the median age range. I'm 35.
    Brad
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    ....and the final tally....

Impalaboy2001 age 21
    spider717 age 21
    roderacer age 23
    bbrowne74 age 27
    teo age 29
    andrew48 age late 20's/early 30's
    jeffreyw1 age 31
    casl age 32
    daveleck age 32
    hvan3 age 32
    mediumfry age 33
    phollan age 33
    impalamom age 33
    00impala age 33
    bh0001 age 35
    cookie01 age 37
    b4z age 38
    hunter39 age 39
    crosley age 47
    wyoimp age 50

With 20 participants, the average age for Impala owners on this board is 32.80 years old. Seven of us happen to fall in the range of 32/33 (including me).
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    <<Don't try to race a Ford(ugg!) Contor, well the sports model anyway. I had him until my car shutoff at 110 MPH and he kept on going. GRRR!!!!!!Worst part was I saw his friends turned around and laughing. =/>>

If you had him beat, then there's no way he would have known that the engine shuts off at 110mph. Technically, you won the race if you had the lead most of the way.

Consider yourself lucky that the engine shuts off at 110mph. You could have been killed if it lasted longer.

I prefer to race at the light. If I had him beat after 1/2 mile, I turn on my emergency flasher and let him know that I won. :) It's crazy to speed on the rode over 100mph for long duration. It has to end somewhere. That's why I only race up to 1/2 mile.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    ...for my bike... when I had it. Got off on a nasty lowside and that was that.

Just be safe guys and gals. I know the Impala has kick-[non-permissible content removed] safety and restraint systems, but I don't want to hear about any of you getting to see just how well the On-Star Emergency systems work!

RR
    Is not a racing mobile so excercise better judgement when behind the wheel.
  • Correct me if I'm wrong, but I heard somewhere that it might not be entirely 100% legal in most states.
    Of course that's besides being dangerous and, when it comes right down to it, pointless.
    Sure would suck to kill a family of four or a van full of nuns because of a "spitting" contest.
    Go to racing track events such as the SCCA solo's.
  • impala7impala7 Member Posts: 10
    Im 40 with 2 boys ages 23 and 21 and a grandpa at 35.Young family.we dont waste our winters around here.....Ha
    I think GM's marketing *gurus* missed by a long shot the intended Impala age market segment...

I am glad they did ;)
  • impala7impala7 Member Posts: 10
    Im 40 with 2 boys ages 23 and 21 and a grandpa at 35.Young family.we dont waste our winters around here.....Ha
    What can the 3800 Imp run a 1/4 mile in? Just curious for you light racers :)
    In the Bonneville forum that is running his S/C 3800 in the low 13's....
    Somebody from California wondered whether it was legal or not..Why does everybody want a law or some thing to tell them if it's good or bad... Maybe Gov Davis will send up a request to forbid it..Feel better West Coast..

I don't believe the last last time I floored the gas that I emailed my Congressperson and ask them whether it was alright or not..Hope we never have to defend ourselves to keep us free with some of the questions being put forth on this forum.

One is responsible for their own actions...period we leave it at that level..Adult style..

The Contour SVT topped out at 142 so the plain Jane Sport Model is a 170hp V-6 with an unknown to me top end..

At 67 I do my bit of fast pedaling for it is a way of life to get from A to B..It's done defensive to put it in a proper and acceptable mode..

What is the difference btw a Splash shield and a good old fashioned Mud Flap??? no reflector??
    142 huh. He woulda won then cause I wouldn't have gone that fast just to beat him :)
  • It was a joke, not a political statement. I wasn't wondering if it was illegal. I know it's illegal. More importantly, it's dangerous to the point of causing death in some humans.

I'm not talking about driving fast, which is usually safe. I'm talking about street racing, which usually isn't.

BTW, I'm from NY. I only live in California. You're right. California is a terrible place. They put pineapple on pizza, and blueberries in bagels. I blame the governement.
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    I'm a Mom and old enough to not go there- Thank You. I guess if I
    mentioned I'm working on my daughter's wedding plans in 7 1/2 weeks
    that will give away both age and what I'm up to. Took the Impala to the Brickyard race over the weekend and my best guy JEFF GORDON WON
    IN A CHEVY!!! (That's an in your face for Ford, Pontiac, and Dodge I guess) The 3 adult men in the car all loved the looks, ride and features- all happy with plenty of leg room and the 4 door- that's why I couldn't go with the great looking Monte Carlo (also costs more in insurance even though the sticker price is lower) ! You could give me that good looking yellow pace car anytime and I'd drive it home (yellow is not my fav. but for a pace car and a gift,I'd not complain)
    . Only glitch lately in my Impala is loose trim on the passenger
    side. I'll get them to fix it in a few weeks at my oil change. Most cars now do not need the premium gas unless it's specified in the manual - according to spouse who works in gas stations. Best to all. BDIME
    Is this the same as the chip thats supposed to do all the same stuff?

http://www.musiccityrodshop.com/jetpcu.htm

I cannot find ANY chips for the Impala, the only thing I could find was this gadget.

• norbnancynorbnancy Member Posts: 118
    Hey old man, you got me beat. I'm ONLY 67 1/2--Ha! Your age and mine sure blows the averages. I don't think Chev marketing was a factor in my choice. I just buy the largest Chev sedans I can get. Impala LS was it. No, I did not consider Suburbans etc. I don't like trucks. I have driven many Suburbans and Vans and they are neat for those that need them for hauling cargo & lots of people ect. Another note on gasoline-- I avoid re fueling when a tanker truck is in the gas station filling the underground tanks. I think they are stirring up sediment that may be in the tanks. Also I don't want to be around if a tanker goes up in flames. Enjoy the ride.
  • frankb7frankb7 Member Posts: 18
    Folks,

Have had my 02 for all of 5 days. Thought I'd tell you my sense of the Pro's and Con's to date:

Pros

- Looks - nicest looking car out there (Silver, with a dual black pinstripe)
    - Handling - Has a European feel IMO
    - Quiet as hell (or is that heaven)
    - Radio/Tape/CD - Great Sound System
    - Steering wheel radio controls
    - The smell of the Leather. My first car with it
    - Layout of the dash and controls
    - Room galore with the bench
    - Ability to adjust all the electronic features is great (although I am leaving the factory settings for now)
    - Trunk is huge
    - Solid and safe all around feeling

Cons

- I know I am big (6:1, 225), but the sides of the leather bench seat are 'puffed', ostensibly to better hold you in place, and they annoy the hell out of the outside of my left leg. Feels like a loaf of French bread is under my leg. Did not notice that when sitting on a cloth bench. Any ideas how to remedy will be appreciated.

- The middle/left vent cannot be adjusted to 'not' blow air in my face, so I shut it off. In fact the far left and right vents can't be adjusted to blow at the driver/passenger window. Don't know why they limited the adjustments.

- The ride is silky on smooth pavements, but run over a penny in the road, and you feel it. Maybe that is the beefier suspension with the 3.8. I did not notice that snesitivity in the rental I had. For a car that is so quiet, and smooth, I find that annoying. Have Goodyear GA Tires. Not sure if it is the tires. Any feedback will be appreciated.

Overall, on a scale of 100, I give it a 90.

Frank
  • abc246abc246 Member Posts: 305
    Check the tire air pressure. It maybe too high. If it is OK you might be able to reduce some if you don't fully load the car. Older GM cars always had 2 settings, max load and comfort.
    No respect on the forum; kinda like my earlier family raising days..my kids are 48 and 41, both in the family mode which I enjoy watching to see the paybacks and the progress..

only Chevy in my future would be a Z-28; the Impala is a cost cutter committee engineered car..using the std parts from the bin..The exterior quality is a shame and that is only from reading the forum remarks for I have never sat in one..

Age will mellow the sharp tongues...that's a proven...so there is hope!!!!!
    Ditto for your Intrigue. Another cookie cutter cost engineered car. Actually I have sat in one, driven one and touched one. The fit and finish is a shame and the materials used in the cockpit don't belong on a car with a $26K price tag aimed to fight the likes of Nissan Maxima or Acura TL head on.

The extremely poor crash test results on the Intrigue only reaffirm the fact that GM dropped the ball in the safety dept. The only good thing about the Intrigue is the engine, but the rest of it you can have it.

The Intrigue is gone and its engine is gone too along with Oldsmobile. The Impala still is a better car, its far outsells the stale Intrigue and has better resale value.

Whether you like it or not, those are the facts. The Intrigue is history, the Impala will continue..
  • ghostwolfghostwolf Member Posts: 91
    For the poll - I am 32.
    gw
  • The exterior quality is the best part of the car! Rock solid. Where have you seen people complaining about it? People may have issues with aspects of the styling, but I've never seen anyone knock the Impala's exterior quality in this forum. The interior quality is not nearly as strong. But, it's certainly no worse than the Intrigue.

BTW, ALL CARS from ALL MAJOR CAR COMPANIES are designed, engineered and approved by committee. There are endless meetings, market research, and Powerpoint presentations. That's the way it is in the global corporate culture. Why you would think one GM car is and another isn't is beyond me, and, quite frankly, makes no sense.
    Very little of the Intrigue came out of the general parts bin. The engine and suspension are totally different..

Does the Impala still have the common wiper/cruise control stalk on the steering column???? Left hand side..

I noticed you are a great believer in the crash data and since these cars all share a common undercarraige to some extent they should be equally crash resistant..

Last item for our little discussion is the amount of miles you have piled on two Impalas versus the miles in my semi-retirement mode of Intriguing..If I remember correctly your first Impala was around 18/20 when it was repurchased and your current one is maybe 2k miles..My 98 Intrigue went 26k and the 99 is approaching 49k..Lots of difference in mileage and my driving style is not sparing the rubber..You need a little more time behind the wheel and stop believing all the editorial garbage.

As stated the Impala is a soft cuddly car and the Intrigue is a half-[non-permissible content removed] stab by GM to compete in a very crowded segment..

I certainly will get my moneys worth out of the Intrigue for it has some rough edges; but for total reliability it been flawless..it enjoys cruising at 85 in 100 degree weather without a whimper..If it blows up we pick up the cell phone and call the 800 number..

After the 3.5 experience and it's lust for the top; there is no return to the drony 3.8 setup..The SC version of the 3.8 is a waste of money to obtain 240HP and requiring premium fuel is a downer..

You really owned a five cylinder Acura?????
    I'm tellin ya' you need to drive the impala.

The same roads that were rough and bumpy in the intrigue last year were smoothed out by the impala this year.

Handling in the mountains was excellent.

Open up the back door of your intrigue and you will see a weld where two parts of the sill come together.

In the impala it is one piece, which includes the rear fender. This alone explains the impala's better crash ratings and stiffer body structure.

Having said that, the 2002 Altima is incredible looking car and i might very well go for one shortly.

3200 lbs. 240 hp. DOHC V6. Wow!
    Yes I did own a 5-cylinder Acura. It was a 1997 2.5TL "Premium". The engine was a 2.5L SOHC 5 Cylinder in line 20 valve all alluminum rated at 176HP. Great rock solid engine that was hampered by the mediocre 4-Speed Automatic "Grade Logic" Transmissions, quite possibly the most negative aspect of that car. The transmission jerked and hunt between gears as it didn't know where to go to.. I would have really liked this car more with a precise shifting Honda 5-speed manual.

This car was made in Japan, light years away from the current crop of Ohio grown Acura TL/CL's.

The Engine was mounted longitudinally not horizontally and it still was FWD. Very unsual setup only found on older Volvos and Audis..

You need to drive an Impala LS for it appears that you have a lot of prejudices against a car that as you say, you haven't even been inside of it.

The LS has a tight quick ratio steering which is totally different from the setup found in the Base Impala with the 3.4 engine. Don't believe me?

Take it for a test drive or ask B4z who just came back from the mountains on his Impala LS.

The Impala no longer uses the Roger Smith era multifunction stalk. Cruise control buttons and remote stereo buttons are located in the steering wheel hub, where they are intended to be. They are extremely easy and intuitive to operate without taking your eyes off the road and are illuminated to boot at night.

The Left stalk only has the ON/OFF switch for the Cruise control, the wiper controls and the turn signals. You can also activate the high beams by pressing the stalk towards you.

Next time you go by your Chevy dealer, try an Impala LS and then come back to praise/rant about it.

The Intrigue is and will always be a W Body car like the Impala. Most parts come from the General's parts bin, I don't know where you grab this idea that the Intrigue is made like the Olds of OLD with separate parts, chassis, engines, etc...that was ended during the Roger Smith regime!!!

The Impala LS is a fantastic car far more desirable than your Intrigue.

I drive around 1200 miles per month give or take in slow bumper to bumper traffic in the Florida heat....that's an endurance test for any car.

Go and trade your Intrigue pronto for the Camaro Z28, for the resale value of the Intrigue will keep on plummeting!!!
    I hear ya!

That 2002 Nissan Altima looks tempting!!! Umm my wife might go for it!

If you get the Altima, would you keep the Impala?

That will be a nice combo to keep in the garage..
    I fully agree with you both; since you both signed on the dotted line owing Impalas and agreeing to faithfully increase your equity each month; then you all should be totally IMPALA boosters..

My Intrigue has depreciated to a stable level and another 20/25k miles won't hurt the value.. Since it's mine, the motivation to drive it is impelling in these unsure economic times..

Did anyone ever see a 6 mo recession??? teo, you are too young; but b4z is old enough to remember..

At my age, slowdowns are usually 2/3 yrs..History is the only data to rely on; but the buying public is running out of money and credit..