Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I talked to the Service Director this afternoon, He said to get it in there as soon as I can and they would be glad to check it out, I am taking it Friday morning along with my LS and having my Oil Changed and my Steering Wheel Centered while we wait and the Blue base will spend the Day. He said it may be that ISS....I do not know if the P/N to the Newest ISS put in my LS a week ago is the same one in my Base built in June. He said the newest one is corrected by design to handle that Lube problem of the previous ones (well into 2001??) , maybe they are sooo new that they didn't hit the Impala assembley line until November? Remember the first one the dealership recieved was not the right one.. and they aquired the newest P/N'rd one to put in my LS.??? I'm sure they will help us out, At first ya get mad then Reason sets in,,, if it is a defective part and can be replaced then no sweat. Don
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Don, thanks for the update. I meant to ask you before if aside from the clunks felt in the steering of your '01 Base, have you noticed any changes in the steering in terms of tightness feeling, etc?

It could be the ISS, but I have a feeling that something else broke in there and it has nothing to do with the cradle...very weird.

Best of luck and hopefully is nothing major.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Yep 26" wheels! Can you beleive it? Those things must weigh 50 lbs each. I don't guess your ball joints would last very long.

I had heard of 22" wheels, but when they showed the 24" wheels i was speechless. In the next segment they showed the 26 inchers!

If you call 20" wheels "dubs". What do you call 26" wheels?
    The steering feels OK,,, Just "Everytime" I am moving and turn Left, I get this "CLUNK" Like I ran over a rock in the road, This is good in a way, as it does it "EVERYTIME" so it should not be hard to detect/diagnose...When I turn the wheels left and right sitting still, I get one LOUD "CLACK" and 2 smaller Clackity,Clacks.,so to speak... ha ha.... EVERYTIME>> and I am amazed at the decible level of these,,Very Loud.. Will see what happens... Don
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    to PA, The LS with the 3.8 had no problems with the mountains or curves- wet
    or dry. 4 adults with luggage and then added a few bags of goodies to bring home.
    just turned 10,000 miles while on the trip. Hope all had a great holiday and
    didn't overeat too badly.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    The Cradle seems to be an issue with the 2k cars, not in the 2001/2002 cars.

Our 2k LS developed noises again after the updated cradle was installed at 43k miles. This makes me wonder if GM has done something slightly different in the body structure, plus the updated engine cradle.

Possibly thicker metal , added braces, larger mount areas, more welds or something with the body structure?

The ISS is not a safety issue, neither is the cradle issue. The cradle was an intense annoyance with us, that is why we no longer own a 2k Impala, but now own a Ford Super Crew truck instead. We still miss the 2k Impala LS we had for 2 years, dang good car value wise.

Ford and fires? Late model Crown Vics have troubles, the Pinto had troubles when hit from the rear. Here in AZ we had one Highway Patrol officer burned to death when hit from the rear. A Phx police officer was severly burned when a taxi rear ended him at near 100 mph.

On the flip side , GM trucks 1973 through 1987 with side mount saddle gas tanks had a few fires when hit on the side.

And I am glad that I can login and post again. I have been unable to login for a week.

Tony
  • morphius909morphius909 Member Posts: 67
    Hey Folks-

Last night while I was driving and pulled up to a stop, I thought I heard my A/C make a wierd growling noise (I assume it was the A/C since I had my heat on inside).

Any ideas?

Paul
    Yep Morphius. That means your A/C Compressor is about to seize or self destruct. I had the same noise/vibration taking place whenever the car'
    s engine would return to idle. This happened at exactly 7K miles on my 2000 LS in August of 2000. Altough the Compressor still managed to churn cold air, the dealer tech said that the Harrison V5 compressor was about to go south. They ordered a new one and it took 1 week to arrive at the dealer and 1 day out of service at the dealer to install it.

This is a more obscure 1st year bug in the Impala.
  • >>>If you call 20" wheels "dubs". What do you call 26" wheels?<<<

Tasteless.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    I can't wait to see the Olympic Sport option with those five interlocked round tail lights!!! ;-)
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Just had my '01 Navy Blue LS in for the 20k km service (20,462 km in 6 months and 13 days). Still running like a dream. Occasional slight pulsation in brakes when slowing down from highway speeds but nothing major. Otherwise no mechanical issues whatsoever.

Drove my BIL's (brother-in-law the Parts Manager) 2002 Green LS for 1/2 a day while mine was getting serviced. It's different to have a loaner that's virtually identical to what you usually drive. However, once I got back into my own baby I realized just how much I've grown to love this car. It really does feel like a glove when I slide in, strap in, and let loose.

I know I've said it before but....I LOVE THIS CAR!
    Brad
  • Sounds like possibly warped rotors you got there.
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Does anyone from Canada have the Driver Information Centre (DIC Option) that gives inaccurate readings. I own a 2001 Impala LS buid date May 31 2001. My friend also has basically the identical car with a build date near mine. In Canada it gives information of Litres of fuel used. The United States cars its gallons used. On 3 occassions my friend filled his car to the top with fuel. Reset the DIC. He ran the car until the gas gauge light came on indicating very low on fuel. The DIC indicated that he used 45.2 litres of fuel. He filled the car and it took 55 litres. A difference of 10 litres. He has done this 3 times now. I filled mine to the top and reset the DIC. I filled up when the DIC indicated I used 20.2 litres. It took 24.5 to fill it. A difference of 20%. If this is not right then the number of litres per 100 kilometers (or number of miles per gallon in the USA) is also not accurate indicating that you are getting better gas mileage then in reality. Currently waiting for a response from a Chevy dealer service manager. This is an expensive useless option that came with the car. ANYONE ELSE HAD THE SAME PROBLEM OR DOES ANYONE KNOW OF PREVIOUS POSTS THAT I CAN REFER TO?
    I have tracked my DIC and "actual" numbers very carefully since I took delivery of my '01 LS in May. Your numbers are not dissimaler to SOME of my fill-ups. I find that city driving #s are MUCH less accurate than highway numbers. This also does mean that the DIC mileage is not accurate (my DIC lifetime average is 9.1 litres/100 km but the actual is 10.28 litres / 100 km - still not bad for such a large car).

Overall, my average "actual" litres per fill-up has been 42.96 but the DIC litres used shows 38.02. However, the numbers have been off by up to 10 litres on occasion.

The one thing I have noticed is that regardless of what the DIC says, when the low fuel light comes on I have about 10 litres left in the tank. I'm confident enough of this to drive for up to 100km after the light comes on and I haven't been caught out yet (the biggest fill-up I've had was 60 litres after driving 689 km).

I don't think I'd call the option "useless" (I think it's a pretty cool toy), but you certainly can't take all its numbers at face value. Fortunately I'm anal enough to run all my own numbers so that I know what reality is. I'll be surprised if you get any response from GM - but let us know!
    Brad
    Brad: With the gas gauge and low level light thats all I need to remind me that I am low on fuel. If the gas gauge, or Speedometer was out of accuracy up to 20% , you and I would be back to dealers demanding the gauges to be replaced, or recalibrated. This option came with the car, I would not order such a "cool Toy" as you describe if it wasn't going to work properly. The litres used is not suppose to be an estimate or more accurate on the highway then city driving or close sometimes, but I assumed accurate to the decimal point that it is calibrated to indicate. I could live with within .5 of a litre accuracy but not 10 litres or 20%. I assumed it would be accurate for a few hundred dollar option (wouldn't you?) If I have to do my own calculations, to confirm accuracy then this feature on the DIC is a useless toy. Just use your trip odometer and total litres used. My friend who also has a 01' LS is very disappointed, because this feature is suppose to WORK, thats what he paid for. Other then that I have no problems with the car.

I phoned GM Canada and a serice rep asked me to phone back after I spoke to the dealership. The service manager phoned me back and informed me that Wednesday the area Supervisor was going to be at the dealers and they would discuss this situation further and get back to me. I live in Hamilton, Ontario.

John
  • I believe the official explaination of the DIC innacuracy, and any other item that does not conform to what most people would consider proper operation is "That's the way they're made".
  • pevapeva Member Posts: 42
    I have dealers looking for a used LS for me. Some questions:
    1. I see a lot of discussion here about the ISS and cradle (apparently problems only on the 2k - with some varying opinions on that?). Are either or both of those problems on recall (in other words, if I buy a 2k and it has those problems, will it cost me anything to have them replaced)? GM reference numbers?
    2. I also have been seriously considering a '99 or '00 Concorde LXi - more readily available, and $2-4k cheaper on the used market. Would I be stupid to pay more for the Impala? Would I be stupid to save a coupla grand and get the Concorde (I'm aware of tranny problems on the '98, but I would be getting a '99 or '00)?
    3. What determines if an Impala has the Bow Tie or the Impala logo on the front? Year or trim package? I kinda like the Impala symbol - sets it off nicely from other almost lookalikes. Call me vain (go ahead) 8^)

Drove a '00 LS yesterday at a used car lot - 25k miles on the ticker - definitely some funny feelings/noises in the steering - so I figure it has one or both of the cradle and ISS problems. Salesman told me the lot owner also owns a GM dealership, so would fix them before delivery if recall items (he'd have to check). Actually that particular one is the bright red - not my color - I want maroon - but I'm interested in any comments in case a maroon one is located and it is excellent except has the same problems - any comments? And many thanks...
    Just buy a '01 that is made after about 12/01. You should be fine. I think only one member of this board with a build date after that is having problems with the ISS.
    I sat in a Concorde several months ago and did not like it. It has been my experience that GM products are generally more reliable and have better dealer support than Chrysler products.
    Mine is usually about 2 mpg off in city driving, but accurate within 5/100's on the highway. This is if i don't turn the car off. I think that is why it is off in city driving.
    If it is consistently off all the time, then why worry about it. I take my gas mileage manually anyway at every fill up.
    I can't see myself getting a rep from Chevrolet involved.
    I guess thats where you and I are different. Your comment "does not conform to what most people would consider proper operation". If the item is made and sold with the intention of working properly thats what I expect (wouldn't you?) The only way manufactures learn how to improve their products are by consumers (such as in these posts) bringing these concerns to the dealers attention. Previous posts such as: CRADLE, ISS, ROOF STRIP MOULDINGS, WARPED ROTORS, LEAKING TRUNKS, etc, there would be a lot more of us driving around with these problems. If one of these problems arises I will be back the next day to the dealers. I paid $32K for this car and part of the hidden costs that we pay is the 36 month warranty that GM is suppose to honour. I wouldn't complain because "it doesn't work the way I want it to", but the way it was designed to do (be accurate)or at least close. The DIC is not a toy. Its a tool but works like a toy. I have more important things to do while driving than watching numbers flip that have no meaning, because this feature and probably the litres per 100 kilometer feature does not compute.

If you are happy with this feature that gives you better gas mileage figures than reality thats all that matters.

John
    b4z: It was the service managers decision (not mine) to talk to the Chevy rep who is visiting this dealership on Wednesday. Service manager implied that these devices have been a problem. All service technicians were busy when I phoned and just by the luck of the draw I spoke to the service manager.

Its really not a big deal, but I compare it to buying a $200 or $300 watch that doesn't keep good time. (don't tell me that you are just going to turn it off and forget about it) Hopefully you are going to return it to the store for it to be repaired, replaced or your money refunded.

The lady that I spoke to at GMCanada informed me that if the DIC couldn't be repaired or replaced with a device that works the way it was intended to then I would possibly receive a credit for this item.

If they want to disconnect this and credit me the money, I would be happy then I could buy practical options like locking wheels or better quality floor mats.

John
    What is the BIG deal with the DIC? Gosh...
    I don't Know? Mine is a Great Compass in my LS! Don
  • guym1guym1 Member Posts: 9
    I too have found that the DIC is more accurate in highway driving, and seems to become less accurate when doing alot of stop and go...

Let us know what you get off your DIC issue.

Teo: The DIC is not a bid deal, but if your 32000$ car tells you that your are doing 9.9L/100 km in mileage, you would like to believe that your car is telling you the truth.
    Fair enough. I have also noticed more inconsistencies in City driving than Highway driving in terms of the fuel consumption information presented in the DIC. However, I have yet to see a 100% accurate automotive trip computer either. I have found the infor regarding to "Miles to Empty" 80% to 95% accurate most of the time. MPG info can be better tracked when you reset or "Clear the memory" of the DIC setting after each fill up. I also reset the Trip odomoter to have a better mathematical reference of comparison against the DIC. I also like the Compass (Very precise) and the exterior temperature readouts. Another feature that I really enjoy using is the Homelink incorporated into the DIC. Another major plus of getting the DIC is the self-dimming rearview mirror. Yep it is a cool gadget but one can't take it to be 100% perfect most of the time. Think of it, the DIC is only a $100 to $150 at the most option. If I had payed $1000 for it, then I would be complaining loudly, but this is an inexpensive toy that not many cars in the price range of the Impala offer it either standard or optional.

The DIC comes bundled in the 1SB option package on the Impala LS (At least in the USA). You can always bypass the DIC by purchasing an Impala LS with the standard 1SA package thus saving the $300.00+ charged for the 1SB package.

Name one Asian or European car under $25K that comes equipped with an onboard trip computer standard or as an option....
  • What makes you think I was disagreeing with you? I happen to agree 100%. I was pointing out Chevy, GM, and many of their dealers responses when faced with consumer complaints about items that don't work as you or I would expect them to.
    But, I would understand if arguing makes you feel better. It's pretty frustrating. ;-)
  • It doesn't really matter if other cars in this price range come with a DIC option or not. The point that John is making, and I agree with, is that every item on the car should work as intended or as advertised. It's a simple, and completely justified expectation.
    Even if it only costs $150, it should work with a better accuracy than +/- 20%. Imagine a watch or a PDA that costs $150 being off by 20%? Forget about it!
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I have a 2001 Impala LS that has the aluminum bladed rims and I perform all the maintenance that God has blessed me to do on my car. I am needing to know what torque value I should torque the wheel nuts to when I am rotating my tires. In a past post on this forum, someone posted 85 ft-lbs because the nuts are being tightened on aluminum wheels. I noticed in the owner's manual that it said they should be torqued to a value of 100 ft-lbs, but I want to make sure that the wheel nuts are tight enough not to loosen after driving the Impala. Vibration will cause the nuts to loosen some and I want to make sure no damage happens to these beautiful wheels.

Also, I noticed, while removing the spare tire, a guide tool (terminology in the owner's manual). What is the guide tool used as? All and any posts to this subject matter will be of great importance to me. Thanks and may all have a grand and glorious day!
    I am not disagreeing either. All I am saying is to see the DIC problem from a different perspective. Should the DIC firmware be more accurate? You bet. Should it perform as stated? Of course!

I myself I am anal with quality (Quality control is my line of work)but the truth is that if you have some basic math knowledge and use the trip odometer, you can figure out the MPG rating yourself. I have had many cars devoid of the DIC and had had no problems...I just appreciate the fact that GM put it in there at a very reasonable price.

But yes, it should work better.
    Sorry If I came on kind of strong. I was just trying to make a point. My 15 minutes of fame!!

Chevy service manager informed me that too many Impala owners are overfilling their fuel tanks. When the gas station nozzle shuts off at eg. $14.41 round it to $14.50 not $15.00. The filler hose to the tank is small in diameter. Below the gas filler on the car is suppose to be a carbon filter. If gasoline is spilled by overfilling it can severly damage this unit and is over $500 to replace (not under warranty) Service manager says he has seen many unhappy Impala owners in the past 2 years regarding this matter. "SOMETHING TO REMEMBER"

John
    Thanks for the tip. I for one has a bad habit of overfilling the gas tank. I'll keep this in mind for the next gas stop.
    I guess we should all get credit for our gas gauges that read incorrectly because i have never seen one that is accurate. LOL.
    Very true!.

How's the Imp doing?
    Perfect.
  • I don't think anyone expects 100% accuracy from one of those things. But, +/- 5% margin of error would be closer to the mark than 20%. A better design or implementation could easily acheive that.
    What if the radio tuner was off that much? Would you want to tune to 107.1 in order to listen to 102.3?
    How about if the tranny were off that much? That would be a whole gear off on a 5 speed!
    An inaccurate DIC is no biggie in the big picture scheme of things. But, it is an indication of how people are willing to tolerate and accept lower quality and performance from the things we buy, and how the manufacturers will continue to do so until they see otherwise.
    I do not accept lower quality and I am intolerant to defective goods....that's why I had GM buy back my 2000 LS last April.

But in regards to the DIC I have yet to see one trip computer that works 100% all the time. Even my co-worker's new BMW X5 (A $40K + vehicle) trip computer also reports some inconsistencies with MPG, so it seems the problem is more widespread.

To me the radio accuracy to tune in radio stations is much more important than the accuracy of the numbers shown by the DIC. I expect car radio technology not to have problems of that sort at this stage of the game with digitally controlled tuners..as a matter of fact never had.

I am not disagreeing at all with both sides of the argument, but you also need to understand that the Impala is a car that offers a great content ratio for little money in its price segment so one can expect the DIC not to report 100% at all times, again not a big deal IMO.

To me ISS, engine hesitations, warping brakes are more critical problems, while DIC readouts come way down at the bottom of the quality/reliability list.

Heck even when Acura released the NAV system in the '99 TL, it had problems reporting the correct location of the vehicle in the map and in some areas it would report inaccurate streets or directions, so Acura switched to a DVD system in 2000. Those first NAV customers paid $2,000 for the gadget and it didn't work properly as advertised by Acura. Even on recent road tests made on the RL, the NAV has also messed up the directions..imagine if your life depends on these NAVs to be 100% accurate at all times...you'll be toast. Also I would be very mad if my $2K gadget doesn't work properly and instead of taking me to the Opera house it drives me instead into harm's way in a bad neighborhood..that's is really bad IMO.

Will this be the reason why now Acura offers OnStar as standard equipment on their flagship 2002 RL sedan?

Oh, let's not get into how accurate Speedos are or are not..
  • Actually, I'd pay extra for a NAV system that steered me away from the opera house! ;-)
    Oh into a Ford dealer? Sure!
  • Let's not get carried away! (Although, I'd like to take a new T-bird for a test drive while I'm there.)
    Looks sweet. But I find it pretty hard to pay above MSRP for a car that has a blue label affixed (Or a chicken in this case) and under it is every bit a Lincoln LS (Which is not a bad thing). Given Ford's initial quality track record of late, I am not holding my breath to it..but it is a nice car and completely devoid from the "Edge" Focus theme that seems to plague new Ford cars.
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Do your bosses know you are on the internet while on company's time? :)
    I am the Boss ;)
  • I thought that was why they gave us access.
    How can we expect the DIC to be accurate in an Impala when CART and Formula 1 teams can't even get a 100% accurate reading with all the technology and $$$$ they have ;-)

On the news last night I saw another huge recall announcement on the Focus (over 350,000 units, I think). I wasn't paying close attention but I think it had to do with steering system corrosion. Makes the DIC issue seem rather small 8^)
    Brad
  • Are you sure they weren't being recalled for being dangerously ugly? I'd gladly trade in ugly for an exploding gas tank.
    I think although I never really figured it out, that the "Guid Tool" is used when you stow your FULL SIZE Rim/Tire that is flat in the hole for the Mini Spare, I think it screws onto the hook that secures in the floor to make it longer so you can hold the Full Size Spare in place. I used to scratch my head over this one, But I think that is what it is for, securing the used Full Size Spare somehow by allowing for extra room, If you take the yellow rubber thing off I think it is threaded? I will check it out when I put on my Winters this Friday. Don
  • pevapeva Member Posts: 42
    1. Thinking of buying a '00 or '01 Impala - How automatic is it to get the ISS or the engine cradle replaced at no charge with a '00 if problems are pointing in that direction? Is it a slam dunk recall kind of thing even if no symptoms, or does it depend on the individual dealer or how much you whine, or what? If recalls, any GM reference numbers?

2. What determines whether an Impala has the Impala symbol or the Bow Tie symbol? Year or trim package, or something else?

Thanks.
    You shouldn't have a problem getting it replaced. Get them to fix it before you buy the car. Or buy a 12/00 or later build date.
    .....well the temperature gauge is really not the accurate either. I guess i should get my money back.
    The fact that I still have 2+ gallons left when the gas gauge reads empty is bothering me too.