Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Looks sweet. But I find it pretty hard to pay above MSRP for a car that has a blue label affixed (Or a chicken in this case) and under it is every bit a Lincoln LS (Which is not a bad thing). Given Ford's initial quality track record of late, I am not holding my breath to it..but it is a nice car and completely devoid from the "Edge" Focus theme that seems to plague new Ford cars.
  • hvan3hvan3 Posts: 630
    Do your bosses know you are on the internet while on company's time? :)
    I am the Boss ;)
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    I thought that was why they gave us access.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    How can we expect the DIC to be accurate in an Impala when CART and Formula 1 teams can't even get a 100% accurate reading with all the technology and $$$$ they have ;-)

On the news last night I saw another huge recall announcement on the Focus (over 350,000 units, I think). I wasn't paying close attention but I think it had to do with steering system corrosion. Makes the DIC issue seem rather small 8^)
    Brad
    Are you sure they weren't being recalled for being dangerously ugly? I'd gladly trade in ugly for an exploding gas tank.
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    I think although I never really figured it out, that the "Guid Tool" is used when you stow your FULL SIZE Rim/Tire that is flat in the hole for the Mini Spare, I think it screws onto the hook that secures in the floor to make it longer so you can hold the Full Size Spare in place. I used to scratch my head over this one, But I think that is what it is for, securing the used Full Size Spare somehow by allowing for extra room, If you take the yellow rubber thing off I think it is threaded? I will check it out when I put on my Winters this Friday. Don
  • pevapeva Posts: 42
    1. Thinking of buying a '00 or '01 Impala - How automatic is it to get the ISS or the engine cradle replaced at no charge with a '00 if problems are pointing in that direction? Is it a slam dunk recall kind of thing even if no symptoms, or does it depend on the individual dealer or how much you whine, or what? If recalls, any GM reference numbers?

2. What determines whether an Impala has the Impala symbol or the Bow Tie symbol? Year or trim package, or something else?

Thanks.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    You shouldn't have a problem getting it replaced. Get them to fix it before you buy the car. Or buy a 12/00 or later build date.
    .....well the temperature gauge is really not the accurate either. I guess i should get my money back.
    The fact that I still have 2+ gallons left when the gas gauge reads empty is bothering me too.
  • garnesgarnes Posts: 950
    Anybody have an idea about the air bag light flashing on for < 1 second every once in a great while. What is with that?

Otherwise the 2001 LS has been a great car.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Hey Mr, Very small, very small issue... WAY WAY DOWN THE LIST.... Just asked if anyone had any problems with this thing. "W O W" With your 5 or 6 posts your making it BIGGER AND BIGGER !!!(it must bothering you) Its obvious you didn't read my post 6524 that indicated "THE LADY AT GM, STATED I MIGHT BE GETTING A CREDIT" I didn't ask for one as you seem to imply in your last post. if it isn't repaired, or replaced, no big deal b4z. Its way down the list.. If they do credit me the cost, I will be happy and I know you will be happy for me,
    won't you b4z!!

Now I am very busy moving over to my partimer on Ebay.

over and out John
    Maybe someone posted about this issue earlier but Chevy will replace Oldsmobile in IRL racing next year with a Chevy V8. For most open wheel fans they remember Chevrolets winning I believe 5 or 6 Indianapolis 500's in a row back in the early 90's and late 80's, and dominated most of the racing schedules.

I'm more of a Nascar fan myself (since 1962) but thought you open wheel race fans would like to know this info if you weren't already aware. First race schedule in Florida March 2/2002.

John
    What was that rant all about?
  • jpelderjpelder Posts: 235
    I'm not sure about the fuel pump location on the Impala, but on my caravan I understand that 2 gallons of gas are needed in the tank to cool the tank mounted fuel pump. That is why the fuel computer prematurely reads zero fuel. I'd have to believe there is similar reasoning with the Impala.
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    There has not been a quote, en-quote "RECALL" on any of the Impala's. From Way back in June of 1999 to the present, there has been a few Service Bulletins for varis things, But there is no Recall on the Cradle, If you buy one that is still under warranty and have noises and do not have the reinforce welded cradle and they deem that the problem they will change it out, I had some noises from the front end while going over bumps in the road and they changed my cradle and moved the Steering Shaft around and the noises came back a week later, they changed the ISS and the noises stopped, so the fact that the ISS absorbs some movement and lacks Lube may have been the whole Culprit. It only stopped after the ISS was replaced and I had an Early Cradle made in 11/99 so maybe my cradle was good after all? Will never know (But it made no noises for almost 2 years and 20K miles) and only needed the ISS, Someone said there will be a Bulletin on the ISS for them to re-lube it somehow, that would be covered (if in warranty) .

I am lost on the Bowtie or Impala Logo question, They all have the Bowtie on the Grill, if you are talking about the LS Center Caps the ones with the Impala Logo are Spec'd for the '94-'96 SS and they fit the LS Rims for a different look. Don
  • I'd put 100 ft-lbs on them. I can't imagine you'd damage the rim by torquing them that much. 100 ft-lbs is a lot less torque than 95% of all people torque their lugnuts. Try taking your car to get the wheels balanced or rotated or whatever, then use a torque wrench to take the nuts off. You'll have to put 150+ ft-lbs of torque on those babies to get them off most of the time. If the rims couldn't handle it, they'd be breaking ALL OVER THE PLACE.

That's my opinion.
  • Wheel lug nut torque should end up at 100 ft. lbs. The 85 lbs you mentioned may have come from one of my prior posts. When I rotate my wheels, I hand tighten the lug nuts, then tighten to 80-85 ft. lbs using a star pattern, then final torque to 100 ft. lbs in a star pattern. I have never warped a rotor since using this method. Ending up torque must be 100 ft. lbs. or you may end up loosing a wheel. Just purchased a set of General Gen Seals for my 93 Fleetwood Brougham at Discount tire. They tightened lug nuts properly using a click set torque wrench. I watched very closely. They also balanced my chrome wheels using glue on weights on the inside of the wheel. A great job. My 2000 LS just passed27000 miles with no problems. My brother's 2000LS has over 40000 miles with only one problem when it was very new, a cross threaded brake line. He just made a trip from Mich to Calif and averaged 30 + mpg. When his lease expires in March he is leaning towards a new LS. Enjoy the ride.
    My posts regarding the DIC were an attempt to interject a little levity into the discussion.
    I thought that was fairly transparent.

I was not making fun of you, or your concerns about the inaccuracy of the DIC, just the fact the none of them are accurate.
    I never expected it to be accurate. So when it wasn't my expectations were realized.

Let us know how Chevy handles the problem.
    b4z: You're right, lets see what Chevy says. If they consider this a trivial thing then its time to move on. This is the only thing that I have noticed with the car, fortunate enough not to have any other problems, been driving Chevy's since the 60's.

John
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Little Rock, ARPosts: 872
    Replaced my wiper blades with a set of the Triple-Edge blades last night; thought I'd pass along that if you're replacing the blades ONLY (not the entire assembly), it is easier to remove the assembly from the sheperd's hook wiper arm and switch them out, than it is to try to lean over the car the entire time. Also found I had to slightly expand the flanges a bit to be able to slide the new blades into place. And finally, FWIW, the Triple-Edge 22" blades have about 1/2" less "blade" than did the factory blades. However, the 1/2" of visibility I lost is more than made up by the 100% clear vision I have out the front now.
  • http://home.hawaii.rr.com/impala/

Check out Nathan's (night_owl1) awesome website. The cradle TSB fix is # 00-08-61-003. This "shim fix" is the recommended remedy but my dealer insisted on replacing the Y2K cradle with a 2K1 cradle. I've now got 40,000+ miles on my Y2K LS and the clicks/clunks are gone. I never had my ISS replaced & hope I'll never have to ! ! . . LH

The vaunted Honda Accord seems to have quality related problems of its own...here is a post taken from the "Repair and Maintenance" forum:

"While I love the engine the quality is not at all what I would expect. Here are some of the problems I've had on my 2000:

Parts in glove box came loose and would rattle
    Front door foot panels were installed improperly
    Seat would move in its track and needed replacement
    The windshield was installed at an angle and needed to be removed and reinstalled
    The interior lights pulsate when slowing down
    Parts fell off in the door
    Parts in sunroof became loose and sunroof would not close.

it's funny my dealer was saying the ones that they are building in Mexico have bad paint.

As for the thin sheetmetal...Yes it is thin but it is part of the attribute that makes the car fun to drive and tossable."
    Mexico????? Honda manufactures in Mexico now? I'm glad my CL wasn't "German-engineered". (VW-speak for "Made in Mexico")
    And you thought US-made Hondas weren't as good as Japan-made. American Honda found a way to make their US-built cars (seem)better! ;-)
  • Use 100 ft/lb as the final torque. I have never heard about damaging a rim with a higher than recommended torque, but it can warp your rotor or snap off a stud.

All Impala's come with a bowtie in the center grill. Some people have replaced the grill with aftermarket ones that do not have an emblem at all. As was mentioned before, you can get replacement center caps for your rims with the Impala logo, but it runs about $19 each.

The cradles were redesigned for the '01 model year. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
    This morning (thursday) My friend and I (we both have 2001 Impala LS cars met (for 1 1/2 hours) with the Niagra District GM Supervisor at a local Chevy dealership. He is responsible for all of the GM dealerships in the Niagra corridor in Southern Ontario Canada. My friend had a list of issues to deal with including the DIC problem. Right off the top he informed us that in the past 2 days he contacted the technician division of Chevrolet and found that they are having problems with these devices. Several complaints and found they average 18% in accuracy on the low side. The major complaints were people travelling on holidays and this device calculating the various totals. He said totally unacceptable. He had a lap top computer with him, and said if this thing was out 18% in retrieving or accepting information he couldn't use it. He also said you wouldn't accept your pay check out 18%. He said it is a computer not a guesstometer. He is going to get back to us.

I spoke to him about ISS and engine cradles and said they have been a huge problem, but they are now doing more repairs on both rather then replacing which is a tremendous expense. He had an ISS in the trunk of his car used to show customers at different dealers how they remedied the problem with these. and informed us that they are drilling out existing ones, puting on a grease fitting and pumping them full of grease, in the lower end.

I asked about the other gauges in the cars and he said very rarely problems with gas gauges or speedometers. Years ago speedometers were mechanical with a magnetic device that pulled on the needle ran off a steel cable a series of gears, the past 15 years most electronic speedometers are certified within 1 mph on the whole scale.(thats pretty accurate)

Talked about engine oil. He said in the past 2 years they have been informing all dealers that frequent oil changes are not needed. The tolerances in todays engines are so close today because of the current engine computers and pollution controls that oil contamination has dropped considerably. I believe the manual says you can travel up to 10000 miles before an oil change. The oils used today are 100% improvement just in the last few years alone, he says.

Are you still with me........ Talked about police Impalas. (I saw one out back) He wasn't too positive about these. I was surprised he said that (this guy is the GM District Supervisor) Several are used by our provincial police in the area. Lower sticker price, better gas mileage than the old Caprices and current Crown Vics but much much higher maintenace costs. I was in emergency services for 30 years and I know how vehicles can be driven. While I was out back at the dealers a 2 week old 2002 OPP police Impala (highway car) was there for service. 4800 KM or 3000 miles on it. I asked a technician why was the car here and he showed me the front plastic/rubber valance at the front below the rad was broken and dragging on the road. He said after a short time they are all coming in for this item and bent front end components. I guess its a trade off for lower sticker price, and better gas mileage. But I don't think police departments can afford too much down time of their vehicles. He said the Police market is a huge business for manufactures not for selling the vehicles but the service maintenance contracts. The late model Caprices 1996 with their detuned Corvette engines were a strong favourite at the time and the rear wheel drive was superior in rugged police work. in late 1995 Chevrolet decided that building Pick up trucks at their Arlington Texas plant was financially more beneficial then to continue with the aging Caprice at the time.

John
    Very cool and informative post. He seems like an honest and straightforward guy. Nice change of pace for a corporate mouthpiece. I particularly like "guesstometer".
    I was also wondering how the Impala would stand up to the rugged use of police and other emergency services. No surprises there. I bottom out that stupid plastic valence/cowl thing every time I leave my driveway, and I smack or scrape it on the concrete stoppers every time I park in a lot.
    If you talk to him again, could you ask him about any problems with seat tracks or adjuster motors causing a loose or wobbly power drivers seat? Chevy changed the design of the seat tracks in mid 2001. A number of people, including myself, have had this sympton.
    That stupid cowl is responsible for redirecting air to cool the radiator. For the Intrigues, GM has issued a shorter version of the chin air dam to avoid scraping.

Haven't had a problem with mine..I am more carefull when approaching driveways, ramps,etc.
    While you are at it, please get us purchasers of the DIC a credit for the faulty DIC from GM. Nothing a firmware update can't fix...big deal!

I think we should also get credit for the engine oil life monitor too.

What's next? The radio's clock?
    I don't think I should have to drive gingerly to avoid scraping the less-than-optimally-designed (or "stupid") cowl. A police officer definitely shouldn't have to.