Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    I hope that everyone can create in this occasion something that feels warm and loving. To me, this includes wishing well to strangers and friends at every opportunity, smiling a lot and feeling good and happy about everything dear.

For me this also includes not judging anyone else's own beliefs or practices for this time of year - even if the belief is of the "bah humbug" variety. We all do what we must do for ourselves, and no one else can completely understand another person's individual needs and choices.

What is most important to me at this time of year is precious time with loved ones, sharing, enjoying and caring for and about each other. These feelings can be expressed in many ways, but expressing them is what really matters - at least to me.

So...

Happy Holidays to my friends in the Town Hall. May we all be in touch with our common ground at this time of year, and realize that all of our relationships are precious - let's take good care of them.

And may we all have a very happy new year!

:-)

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • Right on. Right on.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Add my best wishes to all my fellow Impala owners for the Holiday Season. A joyous Christmas and a very Happy New Year. Drive safely and enjoy this special time of year!

Dano
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    You hit the nail on the head. And ditto what Dano said.
    LRCobra
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I think Santa's sleigh would look a lot better if it was a Torch Red Impala.

Have a safe and happy holiday everyone!
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Wow! No posts in a whole day. I guess everybody is out of town visiting family.

Merry Christmas Impalans!
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I hung up a new cabinet over the stove to raise the microwave oven up.

I even connected the exhaust fan up correctly which was incorrectly installed when we bought the house.... since our son and his family are coming over tonight it's a good thing grandpa got everything back in place. ((-;

The wife and I are going to the 2002 Auto show here in AZ next weekend. If given a chance I'll complain about our Impala's cradle noises to somebody.

I know my complaints will fall on deaf ears ,but I figure I will share my pain. ((-;

We still miss our 2k LS.

We have not attended an auto show of "new" vehicles in many moons. It should be interesting.

I want to see the new 2003 Cadilliac CTS in person. The body lines on the car are quite interesting in the pictures I have seen. Plus the car is built on a new RWD platform.

Tony
  • socalchevsocalchev Member Posts: 20
    Had a annoying rattle on my 01 base model at highway speeds coming from what sounded like the base of the windshield on the passenger side. After taking the glove box assembly out and inspecting the inner dash and finding nothing loose (big crossbeam behind dash looks impressive though)I lived with it for a few weeks, until I rotated the tires this week and found a piece of the plastic inner front passenger fenderwell on the top towards the back was loose. I didnt see any clips or screws to tighten so shoved a folded rag in it, and no more rattle. Drivers side was same way and it got the rag treatment for good measure. Probably will spray some insulating foam in there to replace the rag fix eventually....
  • bdimebdime Member Posts: 130
    Is that a rags to rattles story? Sorry- bad pun but I'm bored- spouse is outside cursing the college kids VW Fox- he broke the door handle in the cold this AM- spouse- not college kid- of course this breaks when it's 25 degrees out - on a Sunday - 2 days before Christmas. If you guys think Chevy part are pricey try the European stuff! hoping to find a new one at the Auto wreck yard down the street. Hope all have a Happy Holiday (for the politically correct) and a safe one too!
  • emtbemtb Member Posts: 42
    Heehee. Guess I should explain, given the 'YOU HAVE WHAT' emails I got. ;)

I'm a volenteer EMT with a fire department, so I have a blue light up on my dashboard for when I get paged into the station. Sadly tho, I look more like a cop car now and people slow down (GO FASTER DAMN IT, I WANT TO GO FAST! :)

I like the Dashlaser, esp. since I use a blue/clear combo. I thought about getting the dual dashmiser from Whelen, but opted to save myself a couple hundred bucks.

When you installed your wigwags, did it void the warranty on your vehicle? I've considered doing it, but haven't made up my mind yet. And those back flashers are illegal, under Federal law. :)
  • fathertyriciusfathertyricius Member Posts: 116
    I take this time to wish everyone here and their families, a Merry Christmas, & Happy Healthy,Prosperous,Peaceful New Year!!!
    FatherTyricius

My 2001 LS is doing fantastic in case anyone wanted to know. :)
  • charts2charts2 Member Posts: 618
    Interesting that both sides of your inner wheel liners would come loose. I would take those rags out and head to the Chevy dealers for (warranty repairs or replacement of the wheel liners) The rags will soon start to get wet and mouldy and you will get a nasty odor inside your car.

John
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    NORAD tracks Santa and has a website so you can follow his progress.

www.noradsanta.org

The film clip of Santa in the Persian Gulf was pretty funny.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  • For a while, the Russians had a plan to kidnap Santa, and camouflage one of their ICBM's in a Santa suit.
    NORAD would have simply assumed it was Santa's normal annual visit to the White House to bring the President his usual lump of coal. A brilliant and diabolical plan. Thank goodness the cold war is over.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    Jesus should be the one who should exist in the hearts and minds of people of all religions all over the world. Why should anyone spread a lie to their children about a man who comes down the chimney bearing free gifts? That is my point - most will not see it the way I do, but I respect each person's opinion. May all have a great day!
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    You have to love it!
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Welcome back Base2001!!!! Where the heck have you been all these months???
  • Apparently, shoveling his driveway! ;-)
    Oh Canada!

Welcome back, Platour.
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    Appreciate the welcome back! I have been lurking from time-to-time but my 2001 (10/00) has been so fault-free that I have little to contribute. I took a sabbatical after 30 years at the grindstone and have had the last six months to contemplate my navel. Looks OK actually. Took the Impala down south to Virginia Beach in late August and had a wonderful time. Came back up north through Carisle, PA for the Corvette show. The Impala (3.4L) averaged 37mpg US; about 43mpg Imperial which is what my window sticker states. I was impressed. What a wonderful highway cruiser. So comfortable with the buckets and power adjust. The 3.4L struggled a little in the PA mountains but I felt it was looking for the torque band rather than a mere lack of power. The transmission lock-up was in and out in 3rd and fourth. I did hit an emergency situation in New Jersey that prompted a WOT and it did downshift and scoot away very nicely. Yes, I bought on December 9, 2000 and this is a wonderful car. Only 13,000km (8,200 miles). It's a keeper.

For those who might remember, I have a 1979 Corvette for Sunday afternoons in the summer. My sabbatical away from Corporate (too many airplanes) allowed to me actually drive the car this summer. Something I have little time to do in the 15 years I have owned it. Great time! Cruise-ins, charity benefits with my Corvette Club, caravans to just south of the border, etc. Loved it.

All the Best to you as 2001 comes to an end. Many lows I know but goodness and our collective strengths, particularly family and country(s), will prevail!

• I just took an 800 mile road trip this weekend. Got a whopping 24mpg. Yup. I'm gonna put OPEC outta business.
    Had Christmas dinner at the family beachhouse that we own with our cousins. We have owned this house since 1958 but have never had christmas dinner there because it didn't have HVAC until this October!

6.5 tons of heat pump. And it was working hard to keep up.

We had a fun, relaxed visit. I left early and did my Christmas drive through 3 counties. This has become a tradition with me and it is great to get out on the road, drive the speed limit and marvel at the lack of traffic.

Had to go to another county today to check some deed transfers and had another enjoyable drive.

On the way back i noticed a funny sound coming from the rear of the car, but didn't think anything of it. Did some work at the office and left at 5:30. As soon as i got in the car the low tire pressure light came on. Right rear was almost flat.

Got to the gas station and we had a hard time finding the leak. We could hear it, but not see it. The leak was in the sidewall. there were two leaks. Unfixable.

Will have to go get a new tire tomorrow.
    THe great part of this story is that with all of the driving i was doing, i got almost 26mpg. Which is just incredible for rural and city driving.

Hope you guys had a great Christmas.
    I just figured the numbers. 25.62 mpg. Pretty incredible considering the city driving mixed in that tank.
  • blueheartblueheart Member Posts: 24
    Gary, where can I find JBL P-632 speakers at a good price?

Feliz Navidad to all
    Merry Christmas to all
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    What exactly is transmission "lock-up"?

Nice pic Platour. My navy LS is going to be the same colour as your car (but not so shiny) soon with all the salt. I think I'd have to run it through a (TOUCHLESS) car wash every day to keep it even remotely clean!
    Brad
    Traditionally the torque convertor in an automatic transmission slips a little. Meaning there is not a direct link.
    Around 1980 GM came up with the lock up torque convertor which results in gas mileage gains.
    There were some problems with vibration early on but the have been fixed.

The torque convertor will lockup in 2nd 3rd and fourth gear.

If you have an LS with the 3.05 gear you can actually feel the car shift into fourth then a second or two later the torque convertor will lockup. This will be apparent when you watch the tachometer.

Accelerate very slowly to 45 mph and the gear change and subsequent convertor lockup will be felt.

This is one reason why the cars of today get such great gas mileage.
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Good to "see" you again!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    I noticed last night that my Right Front Fog Light was not on with the Left one when I pushed the switch, I got out to take a look and tapped on it, no luck of it illuminating,Turned them (well it off) I drove home and removed the set screw to the Lamp Housing and pulled it out a bit, I reached behind to twist the bulb free and removed the housing, I then turned the bulb upward to see the number and try and pop the clip to remove it and....WHAM BAM It came on! Bright as Ever... About scared the #%#%# out of me,I turned them off and I put it all back together, turned them on again an no light? , Tried it again, Got it to light,Turned them off... put it back together and got back in to turn them on and in the time it took me to get back up front for a look, the entire Fog Light housing was full of smoke, It was like the black coating on the tip of the Halogen bulb was melting?, I was careful not to touch the bulb as it is like a Halogen Headlight in the first place, But I need to investigate further since it is not as simple as a burned out bulb? These Bulbs look Expensive..from what I can see, they are almost like a Headlight, I geuss not as common so they will cost more...Don
  • bob1951bob1951 Member Posts: 7
    Unfortunately I have one of the 2000 Impala's with the bum intermediate steering shaft and radio amp. I finally took my car into the dealer and got the hard [non-permissible content removed] approach from the dealer of not wanting to fix either. They said they couldn't replicate the bad right turn/ brake action that causes the steering shaft to vibrate (but it does it to me all the time) and absolutely refused to replace the 104 amp. After about 20 minutes of arguing they found a service bulletin that recommended lubing (not replacing) the steering shaft. Has anybody had this done? Does it fix the problem?
    At that point I gave up and said lube it and see if it improves the problem. Any suggestions from the forum?
    Go back several weeks on this thread and you will see the talk about lubing the ISS rather than replacing it.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    Actually GM has changed the lock up clutch operation in the converters. The clutch is 'pulsed' on and allowed to slip till 55mph (maximum speed). Depending on various inputs to the car computer the clutch is not fully locked at once like the early lock up converters.

This is known as PWM system "Pulse Width Modulated". the purpose of this is smoother driveability. Some of you middleaged folks may remember the "chugging " feel of the cars when the converter locked up in the early days of the first lock up systems.

You may also remember that a switch could fail and the engine would stall when the trans was put into any gear because the converter clutch was applied. The modern transmissions avoid this trouble with a redesign of the oil flow inside the trans.

The material on the lock up clutch is a carbon fiber that is very tough to handle this slipping.

The amount of slipage is very minor but important. It's about 50-60 rpm is all.

Class is dismissed.
    LOL
    Tony
    Thanks for the info.
    As of 12/22/01 218,000 Impalas have been produced.
    I was schocked to see that the trailblazer is being built at rate that is much higher than the impala. About 1,000 more per week.
  • bh0001bh0001 Member Posts: 340
    Thanks for the lesson! I had always wondered why the tach dropped like that - more proof that I know NOTHING about transmissions. Since I've now learned something new today, I guess I can go home!
    Brad
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    "chugging " feel of the cars when the converter locked up in the early days of the first lock up systems. Would this be like the pickups during the mid 80's that had automatic transmissions because I think my truck's transmission does this and I always wondered why? Thanks!
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    I'm looking to replace the OEM GoodYear Eagle GA's after 35k miles. I've been reading some really good articles concerning the Firestone Firehawk SH30.

Does anyone have any experience with this tire?
    Yeah they shred when going 70 MPH..
    what's that mean?
    LOL!

Chillin' and Cruisin'
  • Is your LS not still covered under warranty? The fog light repair would be free, if it is and it's caused by a defective socket or even defective bulb, if it was original equipment.
    Just don't tell 'em you were screwing around with it.
  • woo_bywoo_by Member Posts: 28
    I have the Firestone Firehawk SZ50's on my Impala and they are great!
    they grip the road like crazy and are slightly wider at the edges than the OEM Uniroyal Tigerpaws (same wheel dimensions)

road noise is pretty quiet (not super quiet as I understand the Yokohoma db's are, but decent enough)

haven't had the tires long enough to comment on tread life
    woo, what made you select the SZ50's?
    I just noticed it the other night, I hardly believe that trying to obtain the P/N on the bulb or replacing the bulb is
    "Screwing" with it, At least I can tell them when they say right off the bat "Your Bulb is Burned out""and you need a $25 Bulb", well um....How come it lights up and blinded me when I tried to see about replacing it myself, then when it worked it somehow melted some...Something other that a run of the mill Bulb replacment is going on, Maybe it is not the wiring and a faulty Bulb, since it is sporatic? I will get it looked at during my next oil change, Right now I have to make an appointment for my 01 Base to have the Shaft Lubed, they called and the Lube Kit came in. will be next Friday until I have that done... Don
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I'm not sure if Chevy would replace the light bulb as a warranty repair, but I know Honda replaced my headlight bulb for FREEEE.
    Don, I still have a hard time believing that the ISS is the culprit on your 2001 Base. the dealer first told you it was the cradle, now it seems they are leaning towards the ISS. After my sister's experience, the defective engine mount replacement took care of the problem and the car is tight as a drum and extremely quiet.

I am just wondering if the dealer is fixing something that is not broken yet...you know...the wrong diagnosis.
    The local Dealer said they could change ALL off the Mounts,The Shaft, and whatever else But they said to wait and see what happens in the new year,They feel it will all be in vain to do now.... The Selling Dealer checked the Mounts,(All are OK) and reccomended the Lube, It for some reason is "not" Clunking when I turn left lately, I am going with the Lube as a start, after that??? But it really is not as bad now as it was, this is without anything being done, one other thing, the Actual steering wheel seems a bit loose, like you can rock it left and right, this is not the locking adjustment Tilt feature (up and down) but left and right, and the car can be running or off, I am mentioning that too,, But I cannot get it to "Clunk" when turning left anymore, it just turned 4000 miles.... Don
  • >>I am just wondering if the dealer is fixing something that is not broken yet...<<

You're right. It does sound weird. Usually they just avoid fixing the things that <em>are broken. ;-)
  • >>>...appointment for my 01 Base to have the Shaft Lubed...<<<

You can be arrested for that in 49 states!
    My father in law got these firehawk tires for his Mark 8, he does very extensive research before he buys anything, in fact so much so that it is mindboggling at times.He was going to order them from Tirerack.com but I was able to get one of my buddies at a Discount Tire store to get them at a little better price. He doesn't drive much but he was looking for an all weather tire but especially one that puts up with severe heat (we're in Arizona)so he went with that sz30. I had just put a touring tire on my 2k when he got these or I might have put them on my car too, especially since he'd done all the legwork. I almost always take his advice on purchasing anything because I know it was thouroughly researched, that is unless it is too rich for me(he has considerably more money than me) so I'd say that tire would be a pretty good choice.
    I had this fix done to my ISS and it appears to have worked for now. Now I have to get the car in for the infamous ticking, which is quite severe now. I guess I'll go with the shim fix for now and hope that the reporting of a problem before the expiration of the warranty will help if the sounds return.

BTW, the replaced blower motor works great , no whistling and no rattles from the dash where they had to take it apart to get to it. A fine job they did.