Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• I take this time to wish everyone here and their families, a Merry Christmas, & Happy Healthy,Prosperous,Peaceful New Year!!!
    FatherTyricius

My 2001 LS is doing fantastic in case anyone wanted to know. :)
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    Interesting that both sides of your inner wheel liners would come loose. I would take those rags out and head to the Chevy dealers for (warranty repairs or replacement of the wheel liners) The rags will soon start to get wet and mouldy and you will get a nasty odor inside your car.

John
  • NORAD tracks Santa and has a website so you can follow his progress.

www.noradsanta.org

The film clip of Santa in the Persian Gulf was pretty funny.

Merry Christmas everyone.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    For a while, the Russians had a plan to kidnap Santa, and camouflage one of their ICBM's in a Santa suit.
    NORAD would have simply assumed it was Santa's normal annual visit to the White House to bring the President his usual lump of coal. A brilliant and diabolical plan. Thank goodness the cold war is over.
  • Jesus should be the one who should exist in the hearts and minds of people of all religions all over the world. Why should anyone spread a lie to their children about a man who comes down the chimney bearing free gifts? That is my point - most will not see it the way I do, but I respect each person's opinion. May all have a great day!
  • You have to love it!
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Welcome back Base2001!!!! Where the heck have you been all these months???
    Apparently, shoveling his driveway! ;-)
    Oh Canada!

Welcome back, Platour.
  • Appreciate the welcome back! I have been lurking from time-to-time but my 2001 (10/00) has been so fault-free that I have little to contribute. I took a sabbatical after 30 years at the grindstone and have had the last six months to contemplate my navel. Looks OK actually. Took the Impala down south to Virginia Beach in late August and had a wonderful time. Came back up north through Carisle, PA for the Corvette show. The Impala (3.4L) averaged 37mpg US; about 43mpg Imperial which is what my window sticker states. I was impressed. What a wonderful highway cruiser. So comfortable with the buckets and power adjust. The 3.4L struggled a little in the PA mountains but I felt it was looking for the torque band rather than a mere lack of power. The transmission lock-up was in and out in 3rd and fourth. I did hit an emergency situation in New Jersey that prompted a WOT and it did downshift and scoot away very nicely. Yes, I bought on December 9, 2000 and this is a wonderful car. Only 13,000km (8,200 miles). It's a keeper.

For those who might remember, I have a 1979 Corvette for Sunday afternoons in the summer. My sabbatical away from Corporate (too many airplanes) allowed to me actually drive the car this summer. Something I have little time to do in the 15 years I have owned it. Great time! Cruise-ins, charity benefits with my Corvette Club, caravans to just south of the border, etc. Loved it.

All the Best to you as 2001 comes to an end. Many lows I know but goodness and our collective strengths, particularly family and country(s), will prevail!

I just took an 800 mile road trip this weekend. Got a whopping 24mpg. Yup. I'm gonna put OPEC outta business.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    Had Christmas dinner at the family beachhouse that we own with our cousins. We have owned this house since 1958 but have never had christmas dinner there because it didn't have HVAC until this October!

6.5 tons of heat pump. And it was working hard to keep up.

We had a fun, relaxed visit. I left early and did my Christmas drive through 3 counties. This has become a tradition with me and it is great to get out on the road, drive the speed limit and marvel at the lack of traffic.

Had to go to another county today to check some deed transfers and had another enjoyable drive.

On the way back i noticed a funny sound coming from the rear of the car, but didn't think anything of it. Did some work at the office and left at 5:30. As soon as i got in the car the low tire pressure light came on. Right rear was almost flat.

Got to the gas station and we had a hard time finding the leak. We could hear it, but not see it. The leak was in the sidewall. there were two leaks. Unfixable.

Will have to go get a new tire tomorrow.
    THe great part of this story is that with all of the driving i was doing, i got almost 26mpg. Which is just incredible for rural and city driving.

Hope you guys had a great Christmas.
    I just figured the numbers. 25.62 mpg. Pretty incredible considering the city driving mixed in that tank.
  • Gary, where can I find JBL P-632 speakers at a good price?

Feliz Navidad to all
    Merry Christmas to all
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    What exactly is transmission "lock-up"?

Nice pic Platour. My navy LS is going to be the same colour as your car (but not so shiny) soon with all the salt. I think I'd have to run it through a (TOUCHLESS) car wash every day to keep it even remotely clean!
    Brad
    Traditionally the torque convertor in an automatic transmission slips a little. Meaning there is not a direct link.
    Around 1980 GM came up with the lock up torque convertor which results in gas mileage gains.
    There were some problems with vibration early on but the have been fixed.

The torque convertor will lockup in 2nd 3rd and fourth gear.

If you have an LS with the 3.05 gear you can actually feel the car shift into fourth then a second or two later the torque convertor will lockup. This will be apparent when you watch the tachometer.

Accelerate very slowly to 45 mph and the gear change and subsequent convertor lockup will be felt.

This is one reason why the cars of today get such great gas mileage.
  • patpat Posts: 10,421
    Good to "see" you again!

Pat
    Host
    Sedans Message Board
  • 00impala00impala Posts: 474
    I noticed last night that my Right Front Fog Light was not on with the Left one when I pushed the switch, I got out to take a look and tapped on it, no luck of it illuminating,Turned them (well it off) I drove home and removed the set screw to the Lamp Housing and pulled it out a bit, I reached behind to twist the bulb free and removed the housing, I then turned the bulb upward to see the number and try and pop the clip to remove it and....WHAM BAM It came on! Bright as Ever... About scared the #%#%# out of me,I turned them off and I put it all back together, turned them on again an no light? , Tried it again, Got it to light,Turned them off... put it back together and got back in to turn them on and in the time it took me to get back up front for a look, the entire Fog Light housing was full of smoke, It was like the black coating on the tip of the Halogen bulb was melting?, I was careful not to touch the bulb as it is like a Halogen Headlight in the first place, But I need to investigate further since it is not as simple as a burned out bulb? These Bulbs look Expensive..from what I can see, they are almost like a Headlight, I geuss not as common so they will cost more...Don
  • Unfortunately I have one of the 2000 Impala's with the bum intermediate steering shaft and radio amp. I finally took my car into the dealer and got the hard [non-permissible content removed] approach from the dealer of not wanting to fix either. They said they couldn't replicate the bad right turn/ brake action that causes the steering shaft to vibrate (but it does it to me all the time) and absolutely refused to replace the 104 amp. After about 20 minutes of arguing they found a service bulletin that recommended lubing (not replacing) the steering shaft. Has anybody had this done? Does it fix the problem?
    At that point I gave up and said lube it and see if it improves the problem. Any suggestions from the forum?
    Go back several weeks on this thread and you will see the talk about lubing the ISS rather than replacing it.
  • crosley4crosley4 Posts: 295
    Actually GM has changed the lock up clutch operation in the converters. The clutch is 'pulsed' on and allowed to slip till 55mph (maximum speed). Depending on various inputs to the car computer the clutch is not fully locked at once like the early lock up converters.

This is known as PWM system "Pulse Width Modulated". the purpose of this is smoother driveability. Some of you middleaged folks may remember the "chugging " feel of the cars when the converter locked up in the early days of the first lock up systems.

You may also remember that a switch could fail and the engine would stall when the trans was put into any gear because the converter clutch was applied. The modern transmissions avoid this trouble with a redesign of the oil flow inside the trans.

The material on the lock up clutch is a carbon fiber that is very tough to handle this slipping.

The amount of slipage is very minor but important. It's about 50-60 rpm is all.

Class is dismissed.
    LOL
    Tony
    Thanks for the info.
    As of 12/22/01 218,000 Impalas have been produced.
    I was schocked to see that the trailblazer is being built at rate that is much higher than the impala. About 1,000 more per week.
  • bh0001bh0001 Posts: 340
    Thanks for the lesson! I had always wondered why the tach dropped like that - more proof that I know NOTHING about transmissions. Since I've now learned something new today, I guess I can go home!
    Brad
  • "chugging " feel of the cars when the converter locked up in the early days of the first lock up systems. Would this be like the pickups during the mid 80's that had automatic transmissions because I think my truck's transmission does this and I always wondered why? Thanks!
  • I'm looking to replace the OEM GoodYear Eagle GA's after 35k miles. I've been reading some really good articles concerning the Firestone Firehawk SH30.

Does anyone have any experience with this tire?
    Yeah they shred when going 70 MPH..
  • what's that mean?
    LOL!

Chillin' and Cruisin'
    Is your LS not still covered under warranty? The fog light repair would be free, if it is and it's caused by a defective socket or even defective bulb, if it was original equipment.
    Just don't tell 'em you were screwing around with it.