Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• tpkentpken Posts: 1,108
    And CTS is not. Where has gracefulness gone in Cadillac? The new 'edgy' design doesn't appeal to me at all and the CTS interior is too spartan.

I'd like to see more of that Commodore.
  • b4zb4z Posts: 3,372
    I kind of like the CTS. I think it is a little too narrow. Another 3 inches in width would help.
    Also the wheel wells need to opened up. It makes the tires look too small.

I also feel the olds aurora was made too narrow.
    It has less room inside than the intrigue.
  • Hi all,

I'm back! I've been shopping on Ebay! (auctions) and haven't devoted any time to the forum. And to make matters worst, my Chevy dealer's service dept. caught fire and I heard 7 cars were burned up! Glad I didn't take mine in! My car is running OK, I still have hesitation every now and then, but, it doesn't happen as frequently as it used to. I'm living with it. Although I currently plan to keep my Impala, I may buy something else when the warranty is up. I think there's going to be a lot of new and redesigned cars coming down the pike and I can't wait to see them. Another thing, some kid reared his car into the side of my car, but the damage was so minimal I didn't do anything about it. His insurance was expired and he didn't speak english too well. So, I gave him some slack (along with the fact that I hate being without my car! and shelling out the deductible!) Hope it doesn't come back to bite me! Anyway, I'll get back to you once I catch up with the messages. I'm only at #7389! You guys (and gals) have been really busy! Colchester, glad to see you're still around! and Teo, you're the man! glad to see you're still providing us with informative words of wisdom (and wry humor in some cases :D )!
  • Ahem, the 84-86 Impala was a Caprice.

And the Holden looks like a cross between a Honda Accord and a Saturn. Especially around the rear glass. Color matched instrument panel?

When they say it's an "alloy" engine, does that mean an alumnium block and heads? *shudder*
    Good to see you back!
    I think there is a TSB for the hesitation.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    NightOwl1, don't you mean 94-96 Impala SS?????
  • mcdillmcdill Posts: 180
    Good to see you back ! thanks--------------mattmcdill
  • hank64hank64 Posts: 37
    Just in case you have not had the hesitation fix done: Reprogramming the PCM computer with the latest software update seems to work for most people. It is a simple fifteen minute procedure.
  • It's good to have you back in the forum.
  • Hi B4z and Hank,

Thanks for the info on the hesitation fix. Do you know what the TSB number is for the hesitation fix?

McDill, did you graduate yet? Still driving the parents' car? Good to see you're still around!
  • When was the last time you all changed the air filter?

Reason I ask is that I had mine changed at the 15K service, which I know was probably WAY overdue.

The Impala can breathe freely and I can tell. Feels like an 8 without the beautiful rumble. Torque up the wazzoo!

RR
  • Good catch John. Next upgrade to edmunds needs to be a mind reading option. =)
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    I always thought the Caprice was just an upscale Impala, more chrome, trim, and luxury options. But, basically the same car.
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    I think at some point it was. But I still contend that it was a dumb move in part of GM to let go of the Impala name for the Caprice, which is insipid sounding by the way.
  • garypengarypen Posts: 1,482
    Personally, I thought the 90's Caprice was way ugly. The 90's Impala SS didn't have that ugly Caprice C pillar treatment.
    is the word that to me best describes the styling of those years.

The Impala SS was certainly a much nicer looking alternative to the standard Caprice.

My carpool buddy had one of the first 91 Caprices and it felt like a barge - floaty and ponderous. The interior, however, was very comfortable.

Ken
  • teoteo Posts: 2,508
    Those B-body cars were Grandma sedans, But dare telling that to a rabid 94-96 Impala SS sedan owner...
  • hunter39hunter39 Posts: 375
    I had a 93 Caprice LTZ package, car hauled butt handled great and oddly I got pretty good mileage out of it (about 23 mph combined) Lots of room and lots of steel and for the 80k miles I drove it I only had it fail on me once and that was for an alternator. Very comfortable car...
  • Is there a TSB on the ISS? If so what is the number? Does anyone have the text of the TSB if it exists?

I think GM's biggest hesitation problem is their hesitation to write a TSB. Not to belittle the engine hesitation problems.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Posts: 2,287
    I knew a man who owned a Dodge Insipid!

(sorry, I couldn't resist!)
    I kindof like these cars dressed up in police clothes , I like the 91 - 93 models the best (PRE - LT1 ) but like I said only in police clothes .

These cars were very popular with the cops when they came out , most of them had the 5.7 , 350 TBI V8 ( same as my 91 chevy truck ) they made about 205 hp and 300 footlbs of torque , and these were the first copcars in a while to break 130 mph barrier , top speed was usually 133 mph or so , and there acceleration numbers are about equal to the 3800 powered Impala . I would like to find about a 92 Caprice with the " 9C1 " police package , spot lights and all !

Sweetpolly , I am graduating this year , and yes I still drive the Impala .... Sometimes (~: Thanks--------------mattmcdill
    The '94 and later LT1 cars are much more desireable than the TBI cars and much quicker too.
  • charts2charts2 Posts: 618
    The original Impala SS cars that ran from 1961 to 1969 were not necessarily designated as "high perfomance cars" I sense that a few current Impala owners always considered the SS option as meaning big engine with lots of horse power. The SS option in the 60's was strictly a cosmetic option that could be purchased for a few hundred dollars (at that time). SS option added bucket seats, SS exterior and interior trim pieces and sporty wheel covers that was it! You could have ordered a 3 speed standard transmission on the steering column with the smallest 6 cylinder in line 6 in the early 60's if you wanted for the SS Impala. Most 60's Impala SS cars sold were with a small 283 or 327 V8 engine that would maybe do 0-60 in 10-11 seconds.(not much performance there) The Impala SS competed with the Ford Galaxie XL, and full size Dodge and Plymouth cars at the time.
    High performance engines were offered in all full size chevrolet lines. The base model Biscayne, Belair, and Impala, (&SS) (and 1965 Caprice onward ) Several engine options were offered throughout the 60's. You could have ordered a "409" engine in the base Biscayne model, and a small inline 6 in the Impala SS. 1965 was the high water mark with sales for Chevrolet Impala over 1 million sold, from that point on its been a slippery slope with sales dropping every year. 1967 Chevrolet tried to rejuvinate sales by offering a special Impala SS model. 1967 to 1969 offered the Impala 427 SS. Sales were low and that ended the first generation of SS cars.

The Caprice has been around since 1965. It was a luxury addition to the Impala with extra interior wood trim, chrome trimmed gas and brake pedals, different back lights, and wheel covers, and upgraded shock absorbers. It was designated as the "elegant Chevrolet", it was just strictly cosmetic.

Caprice has been called Caprice, Caprice Classic, Caprice LS, Caprice LS Brougham and a couple other variations.

1994-1996 (low mileage mint) Impala SS cars are very desirable. Especially the 1996 that has the full floor console with shifter and analog gauges.

The most expensive Impala of all time is the full size 1963 Impala Z 11. (RPO) (not an SS car) 57 were made by Chevrolet back in the late 1962 and January 1963 for those who wanted to drag race, The cars had a 427 cubic inch engine with special welded frame, aluminum hood, front fenders and rear bumpers, to cut down weight, dyno horsepower was said to be 480-525. This was a regular production order car. The cars purchased offered no radio or heater. Off the showroom floor could run the 1/4 mile in 12 seconds at 115-122 mph. (thats a fast Impala!!) A friend of mine that lives nearby has the last one made #57. 9000 original miles. Value $175,000 to $225,000 US. (the cost of 10 new Impalas!!)

Its been stated for several months that 2003 impala will just be a refreshening. Probably small change to rear lights and exterior/ interior trim. I don't believe an SS car or we would have heard of it by now. Probably 2005 or whenever the next major change is.
  • duraflexduraflex Posts: 358
    Your recall matches most of my memory of those cars and years - although you are far more detailed than I could be.

One good thing about multi-year model ones with little change to body, mechanicals or electricals is better/cheaper availablity of new replacement parts. Also makes life easier for the mechanics who service them.

Furthermore, resale appeal is enhanced because a 2002 Impala looks virtually identical to a 2000.

Camry had a 5 year run with its 1997-2001 model.
    Olds Cutlass Supreme was virtually unchanged from for 7 model years 1981-1987.
    Very high volume sales on both models. Lots of those Olds are still on the road.

No reason to change a good thing if it's highly popular and selling well - like the Impala.

The current Impala design is doing very nicely and will probably continue for at least a 5 year run.
    Your Caprice with the LTZ package certainly would have handled far better than the standard set-up which was pretty sloppy. I fully agree with you that a firmed up edition of that car would be excellent - and that is why the Impala SS of 94-96 did so well. I would have enjoyed that Impala or your Caprice LTZ. The standard model is another story.

Ken
    I know that the 94 and newer caprices/impala ss are more desirable , and thats part of the reason I don't like them as much ... Its because in the world of newer Caprices thats what every body wants ... a 94 -96 model with the LT1 , thats why i like the older ones , to be " different ", Plus I like the TBI 350 a whole lot better ( belive it or not ) its extremely reliable , and very easy to work on and modify , I don't like all the technical stuff that comes with the LT1 , I would rather modify a TBI 350 , to run with a LT1 .

There are guys on Yahoos TBI club , that have 91 to 93 model 9C1 Caprices , with TBI 350's and some very average ( not internal ) mods , and they are running 0 to 60 in 7 seconds , and a 92 mph quartermile's , while still having the easy mantainance of the TBI 350 . thanks------------mattmcdill
  • but I actually liked the Caprices from 1991-95. I even come close to buying one instead of my 2001 Impala LS. I had plans to buy one and fix it up eventually. The suspension on these cars were not that great, but how many cars that size do you know of could get over 20 mpg. There was a guy who wanted to sell me a 1991 Caprice that had 168,000 miles on it for $5K. This price seemed steep to me. I knew a guy where I used to live who bought one of the dark cherry red metallic '96 Impala SS. I think his car cost him close to $35K. The Impala SS from '94-'96 were quite impressive cars. I just wish they were a little more affordable today as a used car. I have seen some of these cars still sell for $15K or more that has over 100,000 miles on them. May all have a great weekend and enjoy the latest generation of Impalas.
  • You know your stuff and I would have to agree with you on your statements about the ease of maintenance on the earlier '90's years Caprices. Cars with computer controlled engines are headaches if you are a do-it-yourselfer. Computer equipment to repair cars that have ECMs is very costly. Just my thoughts.
  • I enjoyed your post. I had a 1963 Impala SS with a 283 and PowerGlide. Hardly a stellar performer. GM also offered "sleeper" cars as seen in the 1962 below.

I would only add that the transition to the 427BB was the 396, available in 1965-66.

http://www.mershons.com/view_photo.asp?ID=4523&image=Exterior