Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• Looks good. I like the triple taillight clusters. It brings back the original look. Of course, they'd have to all work to complete the effect, unlike the bogus inner ones we have now.
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    and maybe the little booklet at the auto parts store was refering to the 3.4? I don't know? It just said 2000+ IMPALA, I'm just asking if anyone can confirm or deny that the 3.8 has one, since I have spent way too much time looking for it without finding it. Once it is located, Gomer Pyle or Goober Pyle would be a pro at replacing it, it is that simple. Thanks Don
  • andre1969andre1969 Member Posts: 25,681
    ...was that Belvedere a California model, or did it maybe have a replacement engine from a newer car? I have a '67 Catalina that doesn't have a PCV valve, and I was pretty sure it was '68 when they became mandatory. Maybe they came out earlier, but just weren't made mandatory until '68?

I had a 3.8 with a PCV valve, but it was also an '82 Cutlass Supreme! They've changed a lot on that engine in 20 years, so it's possible the PCV valve is one of those things!
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Picking up my K&N filter this afternoon, and will also check the price/availability of a fuel filter. Anybody know @ what the fuel filters cost, and if there's any brand to avoid/prefer?
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    My grandmother was the original owner and it is a S.C. car.
    I've got some pictures of the engines somewhere and i will look for them to see if I remember correctly.
    When I was 18 i took the valve cover off (slant 6) and put a new gasket on it, so I am pretty sure there was one.
    We sold the car to a friend in 1984 for $150 who said he was going to use if for his paper route. He promptly turned around and sold it for $450.
    Beautiful car with great lines, unfortunately it leaked water on the driver's foot from day one. It did have the pushbutton auto transmission which was a lot of fun.
    Wal Mart and it is FRAM and it was $9.97, I'm sure there are others, the original one I replaced was a AC/Delco part. Can't say as to the better one? if one is better than the other? I plan to change it regularly so FRAM will do for me. Don
  • Fram, Purolator, AC/Delco. They're all fine.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    For those who are mechanically inclined, curious, or just plain want something different - modifying a stock vehicle is the way to go. Plus there is the pride in accomplishing and having something that is unique. Not everybody has the same tastes or wants to accomplish the same
    goal the same way.
    A guy at work asked me why I wanted to stuff a small block or a supercharged 3.8 in my Impala? Why would I want all that power? I told him because I could.
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    The PCV valve is on the passenger side of the upper intake manifold , on the very end , You will see a a few wires going to it , under this is the PCV valve , just take it and turn the whole thing counter clock wise , just like taking off a radiator cap , it is spring loaded and has a O ring around the assembly . thanks-----mattmcdill
    When you take the plastic engine cover off you will see a "Pressure Sensor" on the left end of the upper manifold, I diconnected the plug from it, twisted it counterclockwise from the bottom of the whole thing as Matt said and Voila' there it is sitting down inside the Cap/Sensor I just removed, I took some needle nose pliers to pull it out,I also removed the Orange O Ring and wiped it off and put it back, the FRAM PCV Valve does not come with a smaller Black O ring that was around the AC/DELCO PVC Valve I found when I pulled it out...so I put it on the FRAM before installing it, I have a friend who distributes AC/DELCO parts to Dealerships and I may get him to pick me up some original AC/DELCO parts for the next time. Thanks Again MATT, I knew it had to have one, it was just hidden from plain view. It was moving OK when I shook it a bit, but I could tell it was full of OIL and the new one is really agile.

Nathan, Are you taking Notes? Would be a great tidbit to add to your "How To" page.....

Also... While I had my flourescent light looking over the engine, I noticed in the area of the rear valve cover in the middle of the valve-cover where it meets the engine some oil, not alot, but it looks wet with Oil.... like the gasket might be comprimised, not leaking,maybe seeping.. but I will have them check it during my next oil change/ trip to the dealer..I was originally looking for Anti Freeze like some others have mentioned finding in other places and Battery Fluid.....instead...I struck some seeping Oil :( anyway... Thank Again...... Don
    For the Filler Cap on the Radiator...Here is what it says in Popular Mechanics 9/01

Got a plastic-tanked aluminum radiator on your 1999-2000 GM car or light truck? If you do, and the engine runs hot, overheats or looses coolant regularly, the problem may not be the plastic end tank, but an imperfection in the sealing surface of the plastic filler neck where it seals to the gasket on the filler cap. To cure this, lightly sand the filler neck sealing surface wth 400-grit sandpaper and a block of wood to true it up, then replace the filler cap. TSB 00-06-02-001

I remeber someone having to replace the cap to solve a problem, maybe this was the cuprit? Don
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    Ok, fuel filter and PCV change out... I took photos for a oil change article, but I don't know where I filed that one.

Did an update last night, including the rust issue. If your warranty is gonna be up soon, you might want to check it out. I'm still considering different fixes and am open to suggestions.

http://www.impalahq.com

My wife and I were having lunch at Applebees this afternoon, right down the street from the Chevrolet Dealer that fixed my Cradle and ISS, When we were leaving I mentioned stopping by the Dealer to mention the Seeping Valve Cover Gasket, we pulled inside and the Service Director walked over and said hello to me by name, and asked what was up (we did not buy the car there) and I popped the hood and mentioned the oil I saw, he got a flashlght and we took a look, he said to them what he is looking at is "seepage" and if he saw a shiny pool of oil he would say it is leaking, he said that he could not guarantee that in 10K miles the same thing would happen due to vapors and heat and all other degrading forces on the gaskets, but would be ""more than happy"" to ""replace the gasket"" for me under Warranty at my convienence, I made an appt. for 2 weeks from now, I also mentioned the ISS on my Wifes '01 and how we had the selling dealer do the Lube and have been happy ever since, and how my LS with the new Cradle and ISS (from this Dealer) has been holding up fine, He talked about how they were replacing the ISS's as in my LS's case then changed to Lubing them. he told me how the lube all went to one end and that caused the Dry Spline Clunking, he went thru the process of the lube, they take the ISS off the car, put it in a Vise and shoot the Lube into it, he then said (AND I FOUND THIS OF PARTICULAR INTEREST) that they install a "PLUG" to stop the Grease from going all the way from one end to the other and leaving the other end dry, he said this would not need follow up lubes due to the "plug" they put in there during it's time on the bench, so I am unsure if follow up visits will be needed on our '01 or not, he said it should be fine, anyway, I am writing another Positive Letter to this dealership owner as this Service Director is the Nicest guy I have yet encountered,He Explains things and most of all he Listens then lends advice (as he said about the gasket, to them it is seeping (no biggie), but he understands to a customer it is something serious although it can be corrected easily) He checked the Manifold gasket and the Front Valve Cover gasket and they were Fine/Dry... By the Way.... He is the one who ordered the #103 Booster (@ replaced the Cradle and ISS)for me without listening to the Stereo after the Selling Dealer wanted to send my radio off for repairs thinking it was soildered wrong at the factory..Glad I stopped by today! Don
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Glad you have been having so much fun maintaining the LS! :) I have to get out there this weekend since we will have balmy 50 degree weather. I think I'll try to find the PCV valve and give it a shake or two, as I am not sure if that was part of the 15K maintenance package.

Also good to hear about the great treatment you received from that Service Director! Sure makes owning an car that much more enjoyable knowing that if any issues surface with the vehicle, they are addresses in a prompt and couteous manner and on the CUSTOMER'S terms.

My local Chevy dealer is rather pleasant to deal with as well. I think I will drive up there and drop off that CUSTOMER SURVEY card in person. I will get a free lube service out of that. GM must be sticking it to the dealers these days about customer satisfaction judging the way the service department was pressing the importance of a pristine survey result.

Should work to our (customers) advantage.

Take care, and keep enjoying those Impalas.

RR
  • mcdillmcdill Member Posts: 180
    I am glad I could help you find it ! thanks ----------------mattmcdill
  • base2001base2001 Member Posts: 20
    That is minor surface rust but it is annoying. Coat that area with POR-15. Twenty years from now that coating will still be there.

http://www.por15.com/

• jpstaxjpstax Member Posts: 250
    This has to be the most popular Edmunds Townhall topic of all time. Am I right Shifty?
  • moff3206moff3206 Member Posts: 13
    Well it is good to still see all the familiar names, I last checked in around 12/00 as boden213, alot has happened since then moved and a bunch of other stuff, boy did I miss this site. Let me update you all on the 2k impala. Just hit 50k!!! Drove across country @ 31 m.p.g., only problems... blower fan replaced, a.c. condensation on the passengers side, and now the steering wheel kind of pops when turning. No clue on that last one.
    Hope all is well and I will check in daily from now on.
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    It's only the most popular group because half the messages have nothing to do with the Impala.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Half of each message? Or a number equal to half fo all the messages?

Tee Hee.

john cline ii who just had to!
    I replaced my original air filter (@32k miled) with a K&N filter Thursday night. Thus far I haven't noticed any increase in gas mileage, but the throttle does seem more responsive (of course, that may all be phychological - like the way your car is quicker after you wash it!).

The old filter definitely had an area where you can tell most of the air runs through, a pretty clearly defined black circle on an otherwise off-white filter.

Question - Has anyone tried putting a cabin air filter into a base model (which didn't originally come with a filter)?
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    I just saw the Maytag/Impala commercial that you guys been talking about. I thought it was a cute commercial! They should have more of those funny commercials.

By the way, I've been looking at the classified ads recently for new autos. One thing I noticed is that the Impala is rarely (if ever) promoted in the ads. With the popular $2002 mfg rebate, you would expect the dealers to exploit ALL GM vehicles. Luckily, the Impala is not heavily discounted. This is a good thing if you're concern about resale value on your Impala.
  • moff3206moff3206 Member Posts: 13
    About 30k miles ago I put in a K&N filter, and my wife noticed that the car was more responsive . So you are not noticing anything that is not there considering I still haven't told her I put in a new filter. It was a [non-permissible content removed] to put in though, hugh?
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    Any one replaced the cabin air filter yet? I went looking for mine and the sketch in the manual doesn't look like my LS. My service rep said I have to take off the cowling first. Looks like a lot of work. I will do that today and let you know if I find it.
  • bige1133bige1133 Member Posts: 7
    You will not lose any low end torque by opening up your exhaust with a "true" dual exhaust and low restriction mufflers. It is a common misconception that an engine works well with a lot of backpressure. If a car has a "tuned" exhaust, I would hesitate to mess with it. But the overwhelming majority of cars would see a good increase in torque/HP with a true dual exhaust. You will lose low end torque if you went with a larger diameter header/exhaust manifold while keeping the engine relatively stock. Every car at the drag strip runs much better with a wide open exhaust. I know these aren't the same types of cars, but the concept is the same.
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Yep. Replaced my cabin filter. Actually the service advisor and I did it. Most of our time was spent looking for the thing!

It is indeed under the cowling on the passenger side. Takes all of about three minutes to change, and I am a mechanical clutz. You will no doubt take even less time. The filters are expensive, around twenty bucks, if I remember correctly, US!
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    The "BEL-AIR" nameplate is currently on a very sporty, new concept vehicle that is featured on the official Chevy website:

http://www.chevrolet.com/belair/index.htm

Despite the press release to the contrary, the new BelAir bears no relationship to the Bel Airs of old but rather is a lot more like the brand new Ford Thunderbirds (only bigger at 191 inches vs Impala at 200). Really sharp.

Check it out and see for yourself.

• baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Why just not replacing it ?
    It's a money grab.
    We breath pollen when we take a walk, when we sleep with the window open etc. etc.
    Of course if you have allergy....
  • this_is_nascarthis_is_nascar Member Posts: 199
    The issue with not replacing the cabin filter is that after time, it will cause issues with the air conditioning and heating. It's similar to not replacing your filter in your home air conditioning unit.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    Base Intrigues and all GP's have a spot for the filter but it is just not there and can be added no problem.
    system, you actually get the filter. Otherwise you get the hole under the windsheld anyway,Base model... only you get the "Filter" with the LS? Don
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    someone in Arizona do while waiting for the Gold Medal Death Match Between the US and our neighbors to to the North? Well I went out and took off all four wheels,cleaned and waxed them (LS Sport wheels)and got rid of all the brake dust and or dirt and grime that builds up on the inside of the wheel. You can really notice the shine now. It won't last long but it's as clean as it was when it was delivered almost two years ago. On a side note my neighbor told me to never tease him about how much he cleans his Harley based on this cleaning I did today.

I also changed the fuel filter and PCV. I noticed that I got a "Service Vehicle Soon" message after installing the PCV, but it went away after I re-started the engine. I had cleaned my K&N last week and yes, it's quite a pain to get the filter in and out of the airbox.

It's going to be mid 80's here today and for the rest of the week it looks like. It's days like these that remind me why I live here...
    Rotate the tires? I have a K&N and I did not buy the re-charge kit originally, I just recently purchased another paper element filter, when I have the K&N in there I get a noticeable whistle sound when I accelerate, I can do without that... Don
  • baveuxbaveux Member Posts: 175
    Na na na na na eh eh eh good bye...

Thats all I have to say ;-)
  • kimpala1962kimpala1962 Member Posts: 45
    Is there anyone from nj or surrounding states that would like to form a Impala 2K Club. I wish someone reading this will take the ball and run with it.....
  • impalaboy2001impalaboy2001 Member Posts: 117
    Got a dual exhaust put in and its worth the money. Got rid of the U-bend and the resonator and had 2 dynomax mufflers put in. Low end speed acceleration stayed the same but higher speed acceleration is great. The car just wants to get up and go. I got some pictures posted on my site at http://members.cox.net/2001impala/ Tell me what you think?

Chris
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Neat concept, indeed. Guess what? That Belair convertible rides on a hydroformed truck chassis. The Belair uses the existing Chevy Trailblazer/GMC Envoy/Olds Bravada "triplets" SUV platform. The body construction type is bolt on frame not unit body as our Impalas. The engine is a 5 Cylinder in line turbocharged spinoff of the "Triplets" 4200 DOHC Vortec 6-inline 270HP engine.

I like the idea, because this is a cheaper way for Chevy to bring performance RWD cars using existing truck platform hardware and powertrains.
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    This was one of the first How-To articles I did. Go to the How-To page and scroll all the way down.

http://www.impalahq.com

Typically, I have my A/C on recirc so I don't take advantage of the filter. However, it comes in handy when I drive past the construction sites and a cloud of dust drifts across the road. Some outside air is drawn in even when in recirc.

I LIKES!

RR
  • I hope that's pre-Lutz.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I would assume this is the case with the Impala. Should only take 5 minutes to check by opening up the spot where the filter should go.
    Interesting about the truck underpinnings of the Bel-Air concept; first thing I noticed from the pics is the "bowtie" emblem is gold instead of blue. Currently, Chevy puts blue bowties on their CARS, and gold ones on their TRUCKS. In the actual photos of the car, the color is hard to determine (could be silver, could be gold - but it ISN'T blue).

At least the Bel-Air will have a back seat apparently; whereas the T-Bird is a 2-seater (if memory serves me). Now if they'll just price it right (i.e. south of $30K nicely equipped), perhaps I can convince the wife this is a better idea than her planned Camry (at least I can use my GM Card rebate money on this one!).

On K&N installation, it was a pain to remove all the necessary items to install it, but I'd have had to go through the same motions if installing a paper filter. Haven't noticed any whistling, but then again I've got a frequency range where I don't hear that good (p.s. ALWAYS use ear protection when firing a handgun!!). One K&N question though; their materials say clean and re-oil between 50-100,000 miles. Anyone have any input as to how often one should clean these things? I can see going 50K, but can't imagine waiting to 100K.

(Also noticed their 1,000,000 mile warranty is mileage OR 10 years, whichever comes first. I feel safe in saying I'll hit 10 years before I hit 1,000,000 miles!)
    Did anyone watch the show this past Saturday? I get it on TNN. Anyhow, it was a show about the greatness of GM and it's R&D. They had a couple of supercharged and blown Cavaliers, a Pontiac Sunfire on steroids, a blown S-10 Blazer, an awesome Camaro that will never see the light of day since it puts up comparable numbers to the Z-06 Vette.... let's see... a Buick Regal with some mean exhaust work and engine mods, the Stingray Vette 'concept' (SWEET!), and the baddest SS Silverado I have ever seen! I hope that one goes into production!

My question... where the heck is Impala? Not even so much as an inclination of doing anything with it! Granted, all these vehicles will never make it to the market as-is, but that's the point! I wonder why they didn't take the time to include a bit on the Impala. I was quite disappointed.

RR
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    Actually Lutz liked the Belair concept and that is why it was presented at the 2002 NAIAS show. Me prefers the Pontiac Solstice better, but that Belair is not a bad idea. At around $20K you can have a powerful, comfortable 4 passenger convertible.

Have you guys seen the Impala commercial, where a black LS (With a police siren) is chasing an old Alfa Romeo 164 sedan?
  • It's pretty funny, if it's the one I'm thinking of. They let him get away, so they can keep chasing him in their fabulous, fun-to-drive Impala. They even get angry at one point because he almost lets himself get caught.
    It's pretty clever.
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    And why a 5 cylinder engine in the BelAir concept car?

Virtually all successful automobile engines have an even number of cylinders,
    4-6-8-10-12-16.

I do recall some early Saabs had 3 cylinders and then there were those Wankel engines in the 1960s.

What's the PONTIAC Solstice you made reference to? Is that another new concept car?
    Please post a link to pictures or more info.
    ---------------------------
    nossirrahg-
    YES, The new T-Birds are two seaters and I also noticed that gold bowtie on the Chevy BelAir.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    No Don I didn't rotate the tires because I had just rotated less than a thousand miles ago. It's great how much nicer the wheels looked all polished up inside and out...

Today I went and finished off the exhaust work I should have done when I first put on the Flowmaster, I installed a free flow 3" catalytic converter, 2 1/2" pipe all the way back to the Flowmaster and the u-bend and resonator removed with the O2 sensor relocated to the side of the pipe next to the CC. The sound is a bit different and may take some getting used to, very throaty on the low end at acceleration however no noticable noise difference up thru the gears. The biggest difference is the high end acceleration, very quick from 65-75 for passing though I have yet to open it up on the freeway. I'll let you know how it goes.
  • dcngodcngo Member Posts: 14
    I owned a 2000 Chevy Impala. I am trying to replace my original wiper blades with winter blades. I could not figure out how to remove the original blade. This blade design is quite awkward to remove. The instructions if the owner's manual is not very clear either. It talks about pushing a pin under the blade, but I could not find any pin.

Has someone ever replace these wiper blades yet? How did you do it.

Thanks for your advice.

Dennis
    Turn on your wipers and turn off the ignition when they are upright on the windsheild, look at the top center of the blade/frame and you will see where the very end of the metal arm curves into the blade frame, on the underside there is a small plastic tab attatched to area on the blade frame where it slides into the curved part of the arm, press this plastic tab upward while sliding the entire wiper blade/frame downward towards the bottom of the windsheild, it will slip right out. and you replace them the same way./ The wiper arms are curved at the ends and the blade frame has a plastic pivital area in the center that slips and locks right into this curve, you just have to depress that little plastic tab to release the wiper blade, while sliding it out of the curve at the end.........to find the tab, look at the metal wiper blade, well the arm and the frame are all metal, the only "plastic" you will see is in the center of the blade frame, that gives it some pivit, underneath this plastic area is the release tab....hard to detect at first, but once you find and do it one time you grab the concept.... Don
  • brettcabrettca Member Posts: 34
    I found my filter! I have 20k and I live in Texas. It needs to be changed. In response to the comment about not changing it I would say this; Although I agree that we are all breathing dust and pollen, and I don't have many allergies, but after seeing what was in the filter, all that stuff would have wound up inside my car and since I drive the majority of the time with the windows up or just cracked, it's just that much cleaner my space stays. I think it's a great feature. The filter is just 3/4 of an inch difference in size to the filter that goes to the intake. It would have been so easy for the engineers to design the same filters into the manufacturing process.

I put a new hood protector on my car made of magnetic backed vinyl. Bought it off of eBay for $35 + shipping. I really like the clean crisp look as opposed to the bulky bras. I'm posting a pic. Sorry if the pic is too big, or takes too long to load........
    The name on it is; Magnetbra.com
    I would rate it a 3 on a scale of 1-10 to install. It will conform to the exact shape of the hood, minimizing moisture intrusion and can be removed 1/2 at a time to allow for easy cleaning underneath.

My passenger side front door pops when I open it all the way. Took it to the service department where my rep proceeded to order a lower hinge to replace the defective one. Any one else encountered this issue?
    Brett.....