Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    And I certainly don't want to push anyone away from what I still consider to be the best looking and most value packed car available in America - a new Impala LS. However, these forums provide an excellant way for car shoppers to find a variety of opinions and suggestions when comparing one car to another. When signing the dotted line for a major purhase like this, it's great to be fully informed. Car buying has never been so consumer friendly as today.

Thanks again for the good wishes, Jeff. Best also to you and your wife as you both consider her next ride. BTW - if my wife had not gone with me when I drove the Bonnie - I'd still be looking but leaning toward either Bonnie or Impala LS evenly. She was insistent on buying that Bonnie that day - oh the price we pay for marital harmony (heheheheh).

Ken
  • 00impala00impala Member Posts: 474
    For some reason?? some of the Earliest 2001 models mostly LS's DO NOT have the grey moulding around the rear plate area, they are identical to the 2000's, but have the OnStar antenna as the only visual clue, I know that Jeffry1's is a 2001 (WHITE LS) and the pic's he sent me a while back do not have the Grey Moulding, and it is a 2001...so for some reason they were slow in getting them all to have the added moulding..I like my 2000 LS with Silver around the plate..
    Has anyone ever seen an Older "Custom" Corvette with 2 additional taillights? 3 on each side.... They look terrible to me, imagine a New Corvette with 6 tailights....Nahh better not do that......:( I like the Impala the way it is..More "Vettish" to say the least. And Didn't the Guy who created the 2k Impala work on the C5 (New) Corvette?
  • woo_bywoo_by Member Posts: 28
    how can I tell what the build date of my Impala is?

I have a 2000 Impala base, bought 5/00, now with ~11800 miles

had the clicking problem in the front end early on, but it's either gone away or I don't notice it anymore (I think it's gone away)

currently have a slight tremor in the steering column/wheel when I press the brakes at speeds over 40 mph - not that noticeable

my radio/CD/cass sounds great (other than weak AM reception)...bass is great...
    is the weak stereo thing only with the LS or with certain speaker packages?
    You can easily get a general idea of the build date by looking at the I.D. plate attatched to the in-side of the drivers door near the door latch /catch, that will have a month and year such as 05/00, in your case maybe an earlier month in /00 or maybe ?/99.. a few folks have emailed GM and aquired the actual DAY within the month, I have not done that..anyone care to share you to e-mail and what to ask? Thanks Don
  • blckthreeblckthree Member Posts: 153
    My 2001 Impala does not have the grey around the license plate area either, it is black, just like the car. I have not looked close at any of the others, but I would rather have the car color than the grey of the molding strip. For that matter, Chevrolet should put the same kind of molding on the Impala that is on the LeSabre, it is the same color and smooth, easy to clean, and it can be waxed. It has a build date of 07/00.

Tried the amp bypass today, there was a difference, but not enough of a difference to leave it rigged up like that. Without the bypass, I have noticed that at a higher volume level, there is more bass than there is at a lower volume level. Also there is better bass with the CD player. I put it back the way it was, didnt like the plug hanging down, and had this fear of being in the middle of a long trip and having a wire pop out and being really unhappy, crawling back in the trunk when I should be driving.

Also, the engine cradle issue.. the 2001 still has the aluminum engine cradle. Whether it has been re-enforced or modified, I dont know. I never looked at the 2000 cradle, and never had any popping or noise with either my 2000 or my 2001 Impala.
  • dewdrops38dewdrops38 Member Posts: 41
    Happy with the second one...so far. We went with the base on both cars. The 2001 is rather equipped though, both very attractive vehicles. Who knows if/when the 2001 will click clunk ping pang or twang. I'll put some photos up as soon as they're not coated in salt. We take them through the car wash every other day minimum (brushless).

On a sweeter note. My teenage son is driving now, a used dependable vehicle. He recently went to the city to eat. It just so happened, we went to the same city to take in a flick. We were in the turn lane for a left turn. My son happened to be through eating, sitting in his vehicle scanning some tunes when he noticed a vehicle in a turn lane coming towards him. He had no clue it was us until we spotted him and pulled over to speak to him at which time he told us that he had been sitting there admiring the shiny black vehicle waiting to make a turn, thinking, "wow , what a fancy [non-permissible content removed] car and wondering what make it was". Nice compliment :-) This same boy, learned to drive in the first 2000 Impala. It was awful. The vehicle was brand new and a brand new permit driver was in the home ! How awful is that? I was a passenger a lot. Lucky him :-)
  • teoteo Member Posts: 2,508
    I don't believe my mission here is to turn people away from the Impala. Actually, the purpose of these forums is to inform fellow owners of good and bad experiences with the car. I think it is important to detach from the emotion of having the car and recognize objectively the good and the not so good about the car. True fans of any vehicle can recognize both and not feel offended in any way.

That said, I still believe the Impala is a heck of a value and a great automobile but it has some problems that require GM to step up to the plate and solve quickly before they go out of hand. The engine cradle IS A CONCERN whether that sound logical to you or not. The use of Aluminum for that type of application is new technology beign applied by GM on these cars and problems are bound to happen. Current owners and future owners should be fully aware of the fact that GM can't come up with a permament fix for the clicks and creaks some people have been experiencing. If after gathering all of the positive and negative facts you still want to go ahead and buy the Impala, that's your personal choice. If a buyer interested in the car prefers to put on hold their purchase of the Impala, more power to them. Again, the purpose of this forum is to INFORM others in a fair and balanced way about good points and negative issues, not to sugar coat facts.

Yes, there is a very good probability that GM will eventually replace my car. And no, I am not in arbitration. I am working directly with GM in this case....customer service, my dealer, my service manager and the District Manager. The Service Manager is very customer oriented and believes and supports the fact that GM should stand behind its product and do the right thing to keep the customer happy. This 35 year GM employee veteran seems to understand that it is more valuable to keep customer loyalty ($$$$) than dragging him along with a problematic product or the costly and painful process of arbitration and lemon law after which a customer is lost for good even if the customer wins the case.

I do consider myself very lucky, becuase GM and my dealer are really pulling strings along the way to keep me happy with the car...I say that's highly unusual in most cases. Neither GM or my Service Manager opposed to the idea of getting the district manager involved in my case...after all this dude has been empowered to make buyback or car replacement offers on the spot.

The dealer has had plenty of opportunity to get the car repaired. It has been 10 days since I dropped her at the dealer and today the parts hasn't arrived yet. The car probably will stay there until the end of the week or until the District Manager shows up at the dealer to look at the car and make a final decision. My service manager has been extremely attentive and a tru gentleman. My attitude towards GM and my dealer has been conducted in a strict polite business like attitude. It is incredible to see the results when you treat people correctly and politely...the world suddenly moves around you!.

For those of you that have had flawless Impala experiences all I can say...be thankful and enjoy your cars. My problems sure they could be minimal, but to me there are SIGNIFICANT. I paid a good chunk of money for this automobile and I expect no Major repairs at least during the first 2 years of ownership. Quality is the name of the game and GM is not the only one that makes cars in the real world. I am anal retentive when it comes to quality (That's my job actually)and to me a new A/C Compressor and a steering shaft in the first 11 months of ownership are not indicative of a high quality car. Yes machines do brake, and cars new or old brake too, but quality and durability is what sets apart some vehicles from others. With this I am not implying that the Impala is trash. If GM replaces the car with a new '01, I will take it and give it a second chance because I believe that I will not have the same problems in another Impala, unless of course, the engine cradle starts to act up.

I get my money's worth, nothing LESS. My hard earned cash goes to the company that can provide a quality product and quality service, simple as that.

And again I am not ranting or barking at GM or Chevy...I am conducting a business transaction called CUSTOMER SATISFACTION with ultermost respect, courtesy and following their own established procedure. Under those terms I believe GM will go out of its way to make a customer happy? Is that so wrong?

If people don't demand quality products, don't expect companies to provided them to you. GM knows that their lack of quality during the past 30 years have cost them much loyalty and much of the market share they once held. I hope they still understand and listen to their customers.

Last, leasing doesn't provide a safe heaven should you have a defective or lemon vehicle. If you have a lease car that spends more time in the shop than in the street or a car that has known safety defects, would you still keep that car? The same principles apply here...you are making payments on the car, you are entitled to enforce the warranty and any customer satisfaction remedies including legal remedies such as arbitration and lemon law. I have known close people that have gone to arbitration or lemon law on leased vehicles. leasing did not provided instant or easier relief when their vehicles proved to be troublesome. They had to take the same long and costly curve as if they had purchased the cars to recover all their deposits and monthly payments....after all who has to get stuck to a lemon for 3 or 4 years? Sorry, having myself leased cars in the past I can tell you that it doesn't make much of a difference when faced with problematic cars....relief takes as long as if you had bought it in the first place.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    As an intrigue owner i have had just about everything that moves replaced in my suspension, and i still have a clunking over bumps.

Perserverance wins out everytime. Its your money and you deserve to get your money's worth.

If you don't get your money's worth then you should take it elsewhere. I think the fact that GM's market share is 28% tells you that a lot of other people have done just that.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    It looks as the engine cradle really is a novel a application for aluminum at GM. But the very same aluminum is used successfully for engines. 60 years ago the WWII era Soviet battle tanks already had aluminum diesels. The cradle must be very simple in comparison.

Hard to believe GM cannot fix the cradle cracking engineering-wise. This rather looks as an organization issue. Long development / testing lead time results in fixes only after two years or so after start of production. Like the Malibu / Alero brake rotors etc.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    I had some slight ticking back at the 3k mile but am 9600 now and I'm still crazy about this car, no problems whatsoever, not one thing. The ticking went away. Except for the amp which has been taken care of (I'm not sure why others can't keep the plug up inside the trunk, mine is still there!) I'm very happy with the car.
  • henerhener Member Posts: 14
    As with any purchase an informed consumer is a smarter consumer. I certainly don't want to buy a car that has problems, been down that road and it's not pleasant. I feel that the info and discussion here are invaluable as to making a purchase and other sites on Edmunds have also been eye opening. When you buy a new car you are sort of a guinea pig but with the advent of the internet that need not be the case. Will you be able to buy a perfect car, probably not but you can bet your bottom dollar that there are people at Chevrolet who are on the net and see the pros and cons in the postings. Hopefully this will give them incentive to take care of the customer as maybe the case for Teo, and just maybe it will give them the incentive to correct problems. I will continue to look at the Impala but I'm looking with a jaded eye now and if I do decide to buy one I'll know what to expect and that is a much better position than finding out after the fact. I'll look at the Bonnie but value was the main selling point for Chevy. When you cross into the mid to high twenties there are plenty of fine cars out there.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    THe aluminum cradle is an interesting issue. Some cars have no problems with the cradle and others have minor to serious problems .

Our LS seems to be in the middle. Noise at the cradle mount bushings is all. No cracks have been seen by me or a couple of guys I work with that weld steel and aluminum on a regular basis.

I know of 2 ppl that have not bought an Impala because of the info posted here at the Edmunds bbs.

They both bought Import cars or cars built in the USA with Import names I should say. ((-;

I still have not done the amp bypass deal. I need to set up a time and just try it out. Been too busy lately.
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    Preach it bro! exactly how I feel. Though we love our cars, we can deserve expect at least what you stated, and GM must provide, or lose more of their longtime loyal, and also prospective first time/new buyers. And it's true, we cannot recommend the car wholeheartedly, no matter how much we like it unless fixes for the chronic problems in many, though not all of the cars, are found and effected to customer satisfaction. I would like to see this, so I can continue to tell people who ask, that this is a truly exceptional car for the price, and otherwise, without having to add the caveat, but... JACOB :)
  • hank64hank64 Member Posts: 37
    I stopped visiting this board about a month ago because there wasn't much news any more about problems - particularly the clicking problem, which I have had for some time now. What a surprise I found upon returning!

I have been waiting for GM to come up with the official click "fix" before taking the car to the dealer. But now the clicking has stopped by itself and in its place I FEEL (no sounds...yet) a mild intermittent clunking as I turn the wheel at slow speeds. This occurs mostly on right turns - much as Nosirrahg describes in an earlier post. I also get that same feeling through the brake pedal when braking and release braking at very slow speeds.

I figured that probably a stressed cradle weld had broken and now something was loose, causing the clunky feelings. The recent posts here seem to indicate the problem is in the intermediate steering shaft. But would that account for the braking feel also? And has anyone else had the the clicking sounds disappear simultaneously with the arrival of the clunks?

Right now, I have the new clunking problem, an ongoing stalling problem at idle that occurs once or twice a month, a recurring "service vehicle soon" warning light that never leaves a code, and a relatively new (last three months) engine stuttering problem upon accelerating after a start up. The latter occurs about once or twice a week at completely random times - as far as I can tell.

I think the Impala is a great car, and I can live with the listed minor flaws, but not the clunky stuff. That literally and figuratively feels dangerous.

I am going to take the car in next week and begin what I hope is not going to be a long drawn out process. Any suggestions?
    Today, my car has been 11 days out of service for the steering clunking problem. Since GM hasn't provided dealers with a TSB or Recall notice about the problem, the diagnostic process took longer than it should have. If you pull out the Oldsmobile Intrigue forum archives here in Edmund's, you'll find a plethora of owner references to the steering and brake pedal clunking problem in their '98 and '99 Intrigues. The universal symptoms (and as confirmed by the dealer tech)appear to point to the Intermediate Steering Shaft component. When this part fails or is about to go south, the clunks are felt progressively traveling from the steering column and the brake pedal at low speeds and when turning to the right. As the car racks up more miles, the problem is also felt when having the wheels straight and making turns at any speed...and yes it feels like the front end is going to fall apart, quite an uncomfortable and literally dangerous feeling to say the least. It is yet to be determined what build dates and VIN sequence numbers are affected by the defective steering shaft, but based on a few responses here, we have Impalas built as far back as 9/99 and the most recent one with a build date of 4/00 (Shamino's) that have reported the same problems. If your car falls withing the range of those build dates, then don't be surprised if the you begin to feel steering clunks coming overtime.

It would be interesting to know if Impala owners with vehicles built prior to 9/99 and built after 4/00 have had this issue (Specially 2001's with more than 5K miles). The problem seems to manifest itself typically between 10K to 20K miles. And contrary to what other 'gurus' might tell you, steering problems are SAFETY concerns and the steering shaft is no exception.

Take your car to the dealer and if they give you a hard time about it, request for the service manager to test drive the vehicle with you, so he can feel and recognize the clunks. Also, bring printouts of the posts found in the Impala forum that reference to the problem. Be very polite but firm about the problem. If the dealer claims that GM doesn't know about the problem, tell them that a number of Impala owners have reported the same problem over the internet. If you help your dealer with the diagnose of the problem, it will save your time and their time...again don't be afraid to let know your service manager about your problems and unsatisfaction with nagging problems in your car. Its your money after all.

Ironically, my Impala has been virtually free from engine cradle noises and engine related problems. Based on my experience with the 3800 engine, this powerplant seems to be very sensitive to fuel quality discrepancies. Ever since I switched to 89 and now 93 Premium fuel, the engine runs solid and like a champ. No stutters, rough idle, no hesitation, no check engine lights, no shutdowns, no problems. I don't know about the quality of fuel you folks up in the snow belt get, but seriously try different brands of fuel to see if the problem goes away. Still, take the car to the dealer as engine problems do compromise the safety and durability of the car.

Some posters have said here that their engine cradle popping noises have dissapeared as well over time..hummmm that sounds too akward, better have that cradle check while they replace your steering shaft.

Good luck.
    How many of you who are pictured and quoted in the 2001 Impala brochure (Teo, Nosirrahg, et al) are experiencing the various suspension related problems.

Just a thought - but if it turns out that the majority are - perhaps you could collectively approach GM/Chevrolet management from the perspective of offering new quotes for the 2002 brochure based on your continued experience. (Partly tongue-in-cheek, guys)

Perhaps a joint request for engineering response would solicit some answers to this forum and the general buying public about where Chevrolet stands in its efforts to fix the well known suspension problems.

Best wishes to you all. BTW - I picked up my Bonneville last night and I absolutely love it. This in no way diminishes the Impala's attractiveness - but really - this Bonneville is a wonderful car. I'm so glad to at last have something technologically up to date and good looking - can't describe the feeling of satisfaction it imparts.

Ken
    Actually, the fact that I came up in the 2001 sales brochure (And quote on the Chevy website) has been of great leverage in pursuing GM to replace the car. Rest assure, GM doesn't want an unhappy Impala owner that appears in their sales literature to be 'badmouthing' the car...something to consider in the day and age of the internet.
    What do you folks that have adolescent aged kids do about letting them sit in front? Now that we have the 'depowered' airbags in the front (dash and both seat bolsters) 2 of our 3 kids (80-90 lbs and just over 5 ft tall) are possibly big enough to ride there but I'd like to know what others think and have done. Our other cars have not had passenger side airbags so this is a new issue for us. It's one of the reasons I have held off for so long in getting a car with a passenger airbag.

Thanks for your comments and suggestions

Ken
    Service Manager just called me a few minutes ago. The Intermediate Steering Shaft has finally arrived at the dealer and it will take his mechanic about 2 to 3 hours to install. He still needs to keep the car one more day to make sure that the repair takes care of the problem (And wash and detail the car while he is at it). I will be picking up my car tomorrow morning and gladly returning the keys of the Metro to Enterprise.

In the mean time, the GM District manager will be flying into Miami later this afternoon and my Service Manager will meet with him personally to ensure my continued satisfaction with GM and Chevy. He still told me that it is very likely that GM will replace the car anyway, so for sure sometime tomorrow afternoon I'll have an answer on the results of today's meeting.

I'll keep everyone posted on the results of this saga.
  • tomaso7tomaso7 Member Posts: 91
    I have a 2001 LS with only 700 miles on it. I have documented most of your postings and if anything even happens to my car - they will be printed and presented to the service manager. Thanks for your postings. BTW I understand you were in the Impala brochure - but not in Canada! How about scanning and show us Canucks what it looks like. Thanks and blessings!
  • sweetpollysweetpolly Member Posts: 99
    I took my car in yesterday, it's ready today. I'll let you know the outcome, when I pick it up.
    Go to www.chevrolet.com

and then download the Acrobat PDF format US brochure. Look for me on page 16.
  • jeffreyw1jeffreyw1 Member Posts: 145
    I personally love the taillights on the 2000/1 Impalas. Before I even thought of buying an Impala, I was looking into to purchasing a 2000 Camaro. It turned out that I could afford the car, but not the insurance. So, I looked at the Impala. I have always been a huge Corvette fan and the taillights on the Impala screamed 80's Corvettes. I couldn't get the Camaro so I got the best of both a sedan and a feature from a Corvette. In fact, that's what led me to purchasing an Impala and the fact that the Impala had a 3.8L engine that was the same size of the one that was in the Camaro I was planning on purchasing. Rather ironic isn't it?

My 2001 Impala AS has just over 1500 miles on it. I purchased it the last weekend of September, 2000. Yes, the car only has over 1500 miles. I look forward to driving it when there is better weather. I drive an '86 Silver ado to work during the week so I don't place a lot of miles on the Impala.

May all enjoy their Impalas. Toe, I am sorry to hear the about the problem you are having with your Impala. Maybe Chevrolet will be able to repair it. May all have a great day and enjoy the ride!
    John Cafaro was responsible for the design and looks of the Y2K Impala. He also was behind the Corvette C5 redesign, hence the familiar similiarity in the tail light design (Huge and tall tail lights and rear ends). Cafaro was born in Manhattan and he is a somewhat famous designer that works under the misdirection of Warren Cherry GM's VP of vehicle design. I don't know if John Cafaro is currently involved in a new vehicle project.

Just FYI Mr. Greg Bellopatrick was in charged of the engineering and inplementation of the Y2K Impala and Montecarlo cars. Mr. Bellopatrick owes us some answers regarding the engine cradle problems and the now recently discovered intermediate steering shaft non-sense.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    ON my website I have a page dedicated to the townhall users and the quotes from the book are shown also loook here http://www.luckyjdr.homestead.com/impala.html

anyone can send a picture along and I'll put you on there
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Just wanted to report that I'm still experiencing BOTH the earlier "ticking" sound from the engine cradle (we assume), as well as the "clunking" sound/feel from the intermediate steering shaft.

I've also noticed when braking from highway speeds (like exiting an expressway) that I feel a bit of a shimmy when applying the brakes fairly strongly (in a straight line, or in a curve). Feels like warped rotors, but since I haven't had my wheels off the car yet, I'd like to think that's not the problem. (I know, almost 15k miles and no tire rotation; but I'm not in a big hurry to prolong the life of the tires that came on the car - the sooner they wear out, the quicker I can trade up to the Michelins.)

Think this shimmy could be part of the progression of the steering shaft issue?
    Mine didn't make it to the 'shimmy' stage but it could well be a symptom of something brewing in the front end. Certainly, the intermediate steering shaft could make things worse but also the cradle needs to be inspected.

My suggestion to you is to get your car serviced as soon as possible. By delaying bringing the car into the dealership, the problem will only get worse not to mention your own safety and of those around you.

Heck the Metro did suck, but at least it provided me with solid transportation while the Impala was waiting to be repaired.

Again, don't delay these repairs any longer.

BTW My car will be ready to be picked up sometime tomorrow morning.
  • crosley4crosley4 Member Posts: 295
    I think you will miss the Geo......

happily you will missit.

Our LS was built in 8-99, 29,700 miles now. No steering clunks or clikcking. Only the popping of the mounts for the frame cradle to the main body shell.

I saw a 2001 silver Impala LS tonight on the expressway. A guy in his mid / late 20's. I noticed that he was one of those "lane changers " to get 4 feet further in heavy freeway traffic....

((-;
    Teo -
    Thanks for the input on the clunk problem. I am wondering if the new intermediate steering shaft you are having installed is different from the original (new and improved?). If it isn't, should we expect the same problem to recur after enough mileage has elapsed? Also, from your recent posts you indicate that outside of the clunk problem, you have not had any real problems. If so, why would GM be willing to "..likely replace the car..." based on this problem alone?

Nosirrahg -
    Do you think we are the only two in the "Both Clicks and Clunks Club" or have you heard of others experiencing both problems? And do you know of any evidence that indicates the two problems are related or not related?

Build date of my LS: 11-18-99
    Mileage = 14,000 approx.
  • lrcobralrcobra Member Posts: 82
    How many miles do you have on yours now? I had to have the rotors turned last spring because of the shimmying you are talking about. Chevrolet did it and said it had nothing to do with tire rotation because they had done the rotation also. I don't remember the mileage(I have it written down in the owners book)but it should not have happened in the first place. I got an appointment in the morning to have the slipping or whatever it is doing in the tranny, they want to drive it on different roads and see if it really is the tranny or something else. I shall also keep you all posted on the diagnoses.(Probably won't do it with the machanic on board)
    More later
    Cobra
    How did you find out the Exact Build "DAY" of your Impala LS? Mine was made the same time in November 1999, I noticed a while back the little tick when turning the wheel at a Drive-tru or a simular place, last night it didn't do it during my extended wait at Taco Bell...Anyway, I took it on a trip last weekend and when i decended the Steep/long Hills of Western PA, I noticed that Shimmy You spoke of while Braking, Kind of a wobbly feeling while braking at aprox 45mph down a grade, Then when I got near my parents Home the Brakes were Whistling LOUDLY! Everytime I touched the brakes I got this LOUD WHISTLE..(I mean louder than the usual Brake Squeal that some Impala's Exhibit) NEVER heard it this Loud before...It soon went away after I used the car after it sat for a few hours, Then I got my First "Service Engine Soon" Light (stayed on until I turned the car off and re-started), I think that may have been because I use Exxon 93 here in OHIO and used some 87 ARCO in Pa...Went back to 93 Exxon on the trip home,I should know better, It seems to stumble without use of Exxon 93...Like the 3rd time I tried to go back to 87 and the Hessitation starts again...(Teo...It DOES Run Better w/ Exxon 93) I just turned 13,000 miles and Want to find out the Exact day of Build in Nov '99....Other than those few things I have had no major Clunks...Yet? It has been Fine since I re fueled here at home (No warning lights,stumbles, rough idle etc...)and the tic,tick, tick seems to have vanished for a day or two? Thanks Don
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    mine has 3600 miles and pings when turned to the left at a stop. no other problems. it will be 1 year old in 2 weeks. I was reading an interesting article about the police impala. they mention the diference between the police and street version. they say the police version has extra cooling and a reinforced engine cradle. and TEO it has cast iron steering knuckles instead of aluminum.
    Very good question....I have wondered that myself. Let's assume for a minute the replacement shaft my car received today is the same exact part as the original with no revisions and any substantial changes. If that part has a design defect then that would put myself in a clear 'catch 22' situation...part gets replaced then a few months later the clunks come back...repeat the repair procedure again. I am afraid of this scenario because this is exactly what most '98 and '99 Intrigue owners experienced....going thru at least 2 intermediate steering shafts until GM supplied a 'revised' intermediate steering shaft part at the 3rd repair attempt (Often too late and owner's patience and confidence in the car already completely gone). If GM doesn't have a TSB or recall or at least fully acknowledges the possibility that the steering shaft is a widespread problem, then I seriously doubt the new part will outlast the original shaft...again this is pure speculation, but then again the possibility exists.

Now, let's assume that the steering shaft problem only affects certain build date ranges and VIN sequences due to a manufacturing or workmanship defect and later corrected on recent build Impalas, then we can safely assume that the new part has had some sort of 'revision' therefore it will solve the problem permanently.

I guess only time will tell.

Aside from this issue, my A/C compressor failed at 7K miles and was replaced under warranty. This one appears to be more an isolated case than another widespread malady.

Case in point....only 11 months of ownership and this car has had 2 major repairs under warranty. Is that acceptable for a vehicle that we paid for $23K? I don't think so. Cars are not perfect, but 2 major repairs on a still 'new' car which has been pampered and maintained by the book are considered to be 2 red flags of things to come. As far as I am concerned GM can have this car back. It failed the quality test too soon. Sorry I am a real pain when it comes to my money and the quality of products sold to me. Ford pulled too many tricks on me years ago and I learned a very costly lesson by still believing that a defective product could somehow be fixed at the dealer..today 2 major strikes, car is out and my cash goes elsewhere. Too many good cars at the Impala's price point to choose from. However, very few or almost none can match the Impala's extensive list of goodies for the money....but quality varies greatly; however.

GM sold me the Impala as the 'Most care free car in the road'...oh well, today I am enforcing their promise and getting every pennie's count...the merchandise is not indeed as 'carefree' as they portrayed to be. IF GM offers a 'good will' offer of replacement for a new '01, I will not hesitate to give the car a second chance. Otherwise, the market place is saturated with cars...it is a buyer's market.
    Thanks for the info regarding the Police Package Impala engine cradle. I guess if GM wants to come out 'clean' from this one, the only fix I can forsee happening is to retrofit all current 'civilian' Impalas with Steel engine cradles and Steel knuckles. They now that's the only way out of this mess, but I am sure they are dragging their feet to do that because to sell these cars GM made a BIG DEAL about the use of aluminum for the engine cradle...now how they would handle that situtation? Oooops! sorry we missed on this one....here is you steel cradle and a $100 voucher that covers the extra added for the aluminum part....very embarrasing!

Today GM recalled 1.38 million full size trucks and SUVs for faulty brakes (A problem taht according to Silverado and Suburban owners GM took 2 years to publicy acknowledge it...what a victory for those pursuing getting rid of their defective trucks) I see a massive Impala/Montecarlo recall of this magnitude coming to your nearest news network very, very soon.
  • taylor1276taylor1276 Member Posts: 6
    PLEASE let me know if you or your service agent come to a conclusion about the engine stuttering problem when accelerating after a start up. I have been having a horrible time trying to get this prob fixed over the past year! Sweetpolly also shares the same prob.
    Yes I am very happy to get rid of the Metro...can't wait to drive a REAL car again tomorrow!
    I also use Exxon 93 Octane premium gas....I agree is the best for top engine performance!
    00Impala -
    In the back of the owners manual are a few numbers to call for Chevy complaints, questions, etc. I contacted one to set up a problem file and I asked the rep for my build date. It took her only a couple of minutes to look it up (have your Vin# ready).

Teo -
    Assuming the new steering shaft takes care of the clunking problem, but offers no guarantee of non-recurrence, GM might be prodded into offering as a solution - to keep everyone happy - a free extended warranty on that part. I vaguely think I read something similar happening some time ago.

Taylor1276 -
    The problem with stuttering, as with all intermittent problems, is that the mechanics can rarely duplicate the problem and therefore do not come up with fixes. Teo's suggestion that the Impala's engine(s?) are finicky about gas quality might be the answer. Trying a higher octane and/or brand might be worth a shot.
  • jijcojijco Member Posts: 49
    This just in, I think. I just checked out Borla site, and it looks like they just revamped it. Very nice. And they have shockwave audio examples of what the vehicles sound like with their systems. Cool! Anyway, first system i've found for our car. It seems some companies like SLP have a snobbish attitude towards the Impala. They'll make a system for the Monte Carlo SS, but have no plans for one in the Impala! What's that? It's the same for some other parts, too. Well, for those of you are interested, www.borla.com has it. Part #14879 Price $944.99. Yes, very steep price, but that's what you can expect for dual exhaust in T-304 stainless steel with the quality and reputation they have. I want one. Now where to find the funds...:) JACOB
  • duraflexduraflex Member Posts: 358
    15,000 miles without rotating MIGHT be the cause of your problem.

On my previous FWD Olds 88 Royale - I failed to rotate for a long while
    and the tires became what they called "scalloped".

The steering wheel vibrated at speeds over 60 and on heavy braking.
  • toon01toon01 Member Posts: 18
    I've been reading with interest your saga. I agree with you wholeheartedly regarding your thoughts of the vehicle...you love it, but it just isn't right!
    I have posted several times in the past relaying my problems with a 2000 Monte SS. I, too, had the engine cradle issue. It was in five times for repair/replacement to no avail. I travel 120 miles/day to work and back, and just didn't feel safe, although I was told that I could get in writing that is was safe(never got it, by the way).
    I absolutely fell in love with this car and had to have it. My dealer let me know he had his first one coming in(this was back in October); I told him to put "sold" on it and I would be there after work. I drove it home that evening after "losing my shirt" on the trade in. But I had to have it. I see them today and still miss her terribly. I may buy another in a few years when hopefully all this is worked out. Point is, I know just how disappointed you are.
    GM bought the car back. I will be happy to share my experience; however, it seems that you have an "in" with Chevy/GM and I'm sure you'll get everything you expect. I would have held out longer for a better deal, but after several months of feeling unsafe, I just had to let it go!
    Sorry for being longwinded! I purchased a 2000 GP GT. Now at 13,000+ miles, I have had no problems at all. Definetly a nice vehicle with all the gadgets, reasonably priced. Same engine, good power(would have gotten the GTP if I hadn't gotten a little screwed on the buyback!)
    Good luck with all! I'll keep watching for the outcome!
    Thought you guys and ladies could use some humor here:

To be sung to tune of "Chitty Chitty Bang Bang"

Click, Clunk. Ticky Ticky Pop Pop.
    Impala LS we love you!

Click, Clunk, Ticky Ticky Pop Pop.
    Cradle flexing - what to do?

Shimmy Pop, Shimmy Pop, Shimmy Shimmy Pop Pop - new steering column's due

Pop Pop Ticky Ticky Pop Pop
    Maybe we should sue….

Pop Pop Ticky Ticky Pop Pop
    Impala we love you!

Have a great day all

Ken
  • cookie01cookie01 Member Posts: 369
    I know it's a big order on a Friday, but we're VERY near 1000 and the host seems to be no where around. We should go for it!
    With catchy little ditties like that, maybe you should work for Hallmark?
    I saw my first LS last night with the body molding covering the plate area. This was on a Silver LS... hmmmm, didn't care for it. I suppose on some body colors this might look okay, but the Impala's rear is "big" enough without bringing even more attention to it.

Sorta like... wide rears shouldn't wear white. Good thing to remember with spring on it's way...
    heheheheheh....
    Finally, after 12 days I got my car back. Car was washed, waxed, detailed, looks like new. Had a long chat with my service manager and we went over the repair. The steering column and brake pedal clunks are gone, the car drives and feels solid again. Test drove the car over some bumps and irregular pavements and no a single problem.

Here is what the final repair ticket says:

" Problem area: Steering/Suspension
    Description: Customer states clunking noise while turning right and also clunking felt on brake pedal at low speeds or while parking
    Diagnostic: Replace faulty Intermediate Steering Shaft.
    Part# 26079240
    Warranty claim"

For those of you that are experiencing the same exact problem, go ahead and make a printout of this post and show it to your dealer's service writer or manager if in doubt. This problem has been well documented already and GM should issue a TSB or Recall to replace these defective shafts. Don't delay, steering problems are safety problems.

According to my service manager, it is very likely that the GM Zone rep will go ahead and replace the vehicle anyway as a "Good Will" gesture in part of GM. I'll believe it when I see it. I'll keep everyone posted on any new developments.

Metro is gone, what a relief!
  • woo_bywoo_by Member Posts: 28
    I rotated my tires at 10k miles, but I do feel a slight shimmy (started around 11k)

it does feel like warped rotors to me...
    before purchasing my Impala, I leased a Malibu LS, which had a rather (in)famous warped rotor problem...
    the shimmy on the Malibu's braking was MUCH bigger than the one I'm feeling now, but feels the same

on another note: my change engine oil light came at around 11k as well, right after I got an oil change...
    I reset the light (multiple times) via the radio head unit, but it stills comes on when I start up the car, then goes away after a minute or so
    any ideas?
    Thanks for your comments. I remember reading about your own saga a while back in the Montecarlo forum. I don't remember the specifics of your buyback but I do recall the clear involvement of your dealership as the key for the success in the resolution of your case. I agree 100% with you, if the dealer is on your side regarding your problems and complaints, good things will happen. I consider myself very lucky and certainly my case have been handled exceptionally well by my service manager, the dealer and even Chevrolet customer service. The cust service rep from Chevy has been calling me when promised and has been providing timely updates on the entire case, surprising indeed. The Service Manager genuinely wants to earn and keep my business and he is pulling all the right strings along the way to make things right as far as complete customer satisfaction...he has stated this many times over. If GM goes out of their own way on my case, they'll have earned my business and loyalty. If they drop the ball at the end, they won't. This is business, not a marital relationship. Everything looks good and my Service manager has expressed complete confidence that GM will replace the vehicle. That's all it takes to ensure loyalty and a steady market share. Too bad most automakers today don't always think this way. As of now my GM experience has been everything my Ford experience never was. Ford royally screwed me up and I bowed to never set foot in a FoMoCo dealership showroom again. If Ford had gone out of their way back in the late 1980's, today I would probably still would be driving Fords. I drove Honda/Acuras for the next 12 years and they treated me right. I left Honda because I don't find their new products, service and prices too terribly appealing...times have brought much decontenting and lower quality at Honda.

I would appreciate if you can post your buyback saga. I am specially interested on details pertaining your dealership's involvement to pursue GM to buyback your Montecarlo.

Hope you are enjoying that Pontiac GP GT...sweet car. I drove one GP GT sedan and a Bonneville SE sedan last week. Very nice cars and both have distinctive characters and best of all..no aluminum engine cradles ;-)
    The part numbers haven't changed, so there is no guarantee that the new part will not go south again in the near future...we'll see.