Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

2005 and Earlier Chevrolet Impala

Comments

• dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    if you want unique, avoid NYC. Impala's on just about every 4th light you stop at. In addition to NYPD, just about a quarter of the other city agencies are now using it as well as Port Authority Police (who are NY and NJ employees) not to mention the rentals from the 3 big airports here. but nonetheless, I love my Impala. I would buy one again, and I soon will. This time in Black instead of light Sandrift. And next time it will be an LS... Anyone have a recommendation on new brake pads? way too much brake dust on the Bendix pads that were installed 2 months ago.
  • deaconjonesdeaconjones Member Posts: 7
    "Maybe I'm crazy, but I just don't understand why anyone would want to be less unique, or drive a less unique and rapidly becoming "common" car. "

1. Yes, you are crazy.
    2. Perhaps not everyone here has the money to buy a Jaguar, which by the way, amongst the rich with money to dump in the ground is not all that unique.
    3. When did uniqueness become a qualifying factor in buying a family sedan? What, would you have us leave the suburbs and join the commune?

Silly little troll, you're in a thread about a family sedan. Why don't you go flame the Civic SI guys or something?
  • A. You own a dodge, with an eye on the Acura RSX, which is hardly a family sedan. (Nice choice though. Acura/Honda makes a good car.)
    B. I have an actual Impala. (That is why I don't want everyone else in America to own one.)
    C. I may indeed be crazy. (But, there's nothing crazy about not wanting to drive the same thing as everybody else, despite "different colored socks".)
    D. I don't flame. Disagreeing is not the same as flaming, which usually involves personal insults, like "silly little troll".
    E. Good luck with your credit. I had the same issues at one time. It'll come back around in time. No need to get all up in someone's face simply because they can afford things that you can't at this point in your life.
    F. The Jag cost less than half of what the Impala did.
  • driveme2drinkndriveme2drinkn Member Posts: 15
    I read in today's Wall Street Journal about GM boosting production on the Impala (page D4) and I see that the information has already become a topic of discussion here. For me, the best thing going for the Impala LS is that I don't see one everywhere I look, as I do Camrys or SUV's (which all look the same anyway). The article did mention three things that I found interesting:

1) Impala sales were down 4.1% in the first four months of this year, a time when car sales overall fell 5.8%.

2) The Impala won some top quality rankings in its market segment, beating the Camry in initial quality in last year's rankings from J. D. Power.

3) Critics have panned its styling.

I wonder which "critics" the WSJ is referring to. I couldn't disagree more. Cliff
  • dgonzalez13dgonzalez13 Member Posts: 110
    I love my "Lumina in an Elvis Jumpsuit". In fact, i was planning on buying a used lumina (1999) just before seeing Scully on Xfiles jump out of an Impala last year. The car was featured in at least 5 or six Xfiles episodes instead of the usual Crown Vic "police interceptor", and it caught my eye. Love the car. There will always be someone with something newer, or "better", but this car has the balance of features, price, and ride that fits the people in this room. I love this car and feel safe in a world full of crazy SUV's and cellphone addicted nutty people on the road. Good car+good price= Happy Me.
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Sorry to disagree Gary, but like Teo's love of his "perfect" Impala, your disdain for it has also been noted. I should say that your disdain for it not being unique anyway. I'm not sure I understand your reasoning either. It's a good looking car that has good value, a nice ride (for the most part)and a certain ability to mess around with it's looks to suit the owner. The fact that GM is taking advantage of it's strong sales to produce more Impalas is one of making money, and it being a capitalist society we live in, hey, more power to them! I really like your posts, especially your irrevrant ones, but gee, I guess you're right that the other drivers will not notice my splash guards or center caps, but then again, I don't think they really care that there are two other Impalas on either side. I think it's more a problem you have rather than them. I live in Metro Phoenix, about 3 million folks, I drive for a living (FedEx Ground) and I have only seen three other 2000LS Impalas that share my color, and none had splash guards center caps or sounded as "tough" as my car. I guess it's my little dream world of uniqueness I'm living in but hey, it's all I could afford...
  • It's a fine car model. I like the styling. It's feature packed. It's a very nice overall value. (Although, I definitely have issues with the quality of the interior materials, as you know.)

I just don't understand why someone would find it a positive thing that there will be more and more on the road. I think that would be a negative for any car model. For instance, it's easily the most negative aspect of CamCords, BMW 3's, and post 99 Mustangs.

I'm beginning to think that Impala owners will put a positive spin on any bit of Impala news from GM:

"GM announced today that all male children of Impala owners over 8 years of age will be required to work in the Impala plant in Oshawa to meet expected demand."
    Oh boy! My son will make Impalas! That meens my car is really popular! Maybe I can get a free tour of the plant!
  • johnclineiijohnclineii Member Posts: 2,287
    Well at least the little nipper won't have to look for a job! :)

And there are Impala owners who are nine years of age? (Impala owners over eight years of age!)

J/K!
  • That's true! It'll teach 'em some real world skills. :-)

(Children of Impala owners)
  • hvan3hvan3 Member Posts: 630
    Impala beat out the Camry in JD Power survey? Dang, bring out the champagne!! Whoo whoo!!

With the popularity of the Impalas, I'm hoping Chevy will increase the price for 2003. This will help increase my resale value. :)
  • tommy42tommy42 Member Posts: 70
    I just got back from Indiana.My base got 30 to34 mpg. At higher speeds mileage was lower,3.8 engine. Only me in the car. 2400 mile round trip from Texas. Build date 7/01. Great road car.
  • yurakmyurakm Member Posts: 1,345
    a lot of travelers prefer cars to airplanes now for shorter trips - up to 7 and even 10 hour driving distance - because of all the headaches with airport security checks:

http://www.nytimes.com/2002/05/07/business/07CARS.html

Impala, as well as other GM W-body, are great highway cars. Perfect fit for these trips.
  • lamronh49lamronh49 Member Posts: 86
    Has anyone replaced their factory units with KYB, Monroe/NAPA Reflex, Koni, or other units that offer tighter control? What did you pay, what are your impressions? How about anti-roll (aka sway) bars? Thanks, LAMRON
  • deaconjonesdeaconjones Member Posts: 7
    You are a perfect example of a flamer/troll/someone who baits for argument by using mis-information.

You wrote:
    "A. You own a dodge, with an eye on the Acura RSX, which is hardly a family sedan. (Nice choice though. Acura/Honda makes a good car.)"

-->I test drove an RSX. Doesn't mean I'm going to buy it. It was a fun day for me. But also keep in mind you're missing the point--I didn't come on to a family sedan thread and insult the car for not being a sports car, now did I?

"B. I have an actual Impala. (That is why I don't want everyone else in America to own one.)"

-->in your bio, you state "Wanna buy it?" which would imply you really don't like it in the first place.

"D. I don't flame. Disagreeing is not the same as flaming, which usually involves personal insults, like "silly little troll".
    E. Good luck with your credit. I had the same issues at one time. It'll come back around in time. No need to get all up in someone's face simply because they can afford things that you can't at this point in your life."

-->Your "D" and your "E" completely contradict each other. My credit had absolutely nothing to do with this conversation. You only bring it up to insult me in a round'about way, and then you have the nerve to say you don't troll.

I came onto this thread to see what people's experiences were in owning this car, not to see someone bellyache that a popular sedan is getting too popular, and then state people are stupid for wanting one.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    I put 4 KYB's on my 85 Monte SS over 10 years ago and they are still solid. If I ever had to change the struts on the 2k-LS, KYB's would be on the top of the list.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    In garypen's defense, I understand his aversion of the number of Impalas gracing America's streets. One of the deciding factors for me purchasing my year-old-this-month LS was that I rarely saw one. This was only one year ago, mind you. Now, I see them all over the place.

Some of the mystique is gone.

Just yesterday, a co-worker came to me and mentioned that she saw me in the Impala and that she was looking to check one out. A couple weeks before that another co-worker did the same. I offered both a "test-drive" in mine.

I wouldn't shun anyone interested in the Impala or GM for producing more to keep with demand because it is indeed one of the best cars out there, IMO.

Many of us here could be considered "pioneers" if you will because we saw something in the 'ol Impala that others are just now coming to realize.

Now if you all will excuse me.. I have to forage through the 20 Impala's in the lot... where's mine?

RR
  • dindakdindak Member Posts: 6,632
    There are still lots more Accords and Camrys around. The Impala is not all that common. I would certainly buy an Impala before either of those, much better value.
  • roderacerroderacer Member Posts: 311
    Logistics plays a big part. In Illinois, they seem to be more abundant than any CamCord. But that is because those blend in - I never notice them unless one is lime green with hydraulics!

I think the issue of "Impala saturation" is mental, more than anything. I dont' notice any Accords or Camry's out there, but I know they are definitley prevalant.

While shopping for that next car, have you ever went to the dealer and then for the next 2 weeks after see nothing but that model you were looking at?? Happens to me. Now all I see are Impalas - every thing else is simply sheetmetal on 4 tires.
  • tpkentpken Member Posts: 1,108
    In support of Gary's proposition that a less widely sold model is more 'interesting' to drive I heartily agree. I enjoy my Bonneville's less commonplace stature and occasionally get inquiries about what car it is. Some here know that I had been looking for an Impala LS when I bought the Bonneville SE last year - and I couldn't be more delighted - but would have enjoyed the LS too and still admire them very much.

OTH - Bonnevilles may soon go out of production - the other side of the popularity coin. At least Impalas have a great outlook based on their sales volume. Perhaps I'll end up in one yet.

BTW - I see Impalas everywhere here in the Boston area but LS models are still a rare sighting.
    We just bought an Alero 1 1/2 weeks ago and I noticed them before, but I really notice them now as I compare to what we have. You are so right. That said, I notice any model of car I like to some degree when driving around as I simply love cars.
    Why would the Impala fall apart after 50K? My dad's old GM sedan ran for 250K and was still running pretty good when he sold it.
  • vcjumpervcjumper Member Posts: 1,110
    I guess thats why cops and taxi fleets buy them??
  • The styling is the best part! If the interior of an Intrepid is chintzier than an Impala, then they must be using cardboard. The Impala's interior is it's weakest point.

Are you sure you've actually driven one? (Or been inside of one, if you're too young to drive).
  • In order to be "wrong again", I would have had to have been wrong in the first place, which I wasn't. (I was wrong once, though, in July of 1985)

A. The point being that you don't own an Impala. I do. A valid point.

B. I'm looking to sell it to avoid two monthly car payments. You should dig that. (The Impala's is twice that of the Jag's. Plus, if you saw them side by side, you would make the same choice.)

D. Still stands. You are getting so hot under the collar, that you only feel flamed.

E. I was attempting to reassure you that things will be okay in time. I went through the exact same thing with my credit report. I did the right thing, and it still took years.

Did I say people were stupid? No. I suppose if someone were stupid, they might misinterpret it that way.

I stated that I don't understand why someone would find the saturation of a car model that they own to be a positive thing. I think it is a negative thing. I enjoy the fact that only 120,000 or so XJS' were produced in its entire 20 year history. Perhaps only 20 or 30,000 were convertibles. (Shoot, GM cranks out that many Impalas per month.)

People disagree. Get over it.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    Are what taxi cab driver's in New York City put on their cars. They last forever.
  • wyoimpwyoimp Member Posts: 87
    There still are not many LS's around here. Quite a few base models, but still no "Impala" saturation. The Highway patrol and City have them. There was a certification class for Sobriety Testing and more police Impalas showed. Most where white with some color stripe and lettering.
    I get quite preturbed when reading reviews about our beloved Impala being "unsophisticated" because it has a push rod V-6 (what good is DOHC, if there are reliability issues?), strange styling (that unique red plastic a** grows on you after a while), some imagined suspension weakness (I've whipped it around some "fun" roads and many Interstate miles and have confidence and comfort in its abilities.),and uncomfortable back seat (I'm 6'1" and don't have a problem with back seat positioning). That trunk holds more groceries than my Grand Caravan ever did! If you run out of gas in this car - YOU ARE BLIND ! Rub strips at shopping cart height, Windshield washer holds a gallon of fluid.
    Two negatives:
    The glove box needs to be able to hold the Owner's and On Star manuals.
    There is a sore need for air conditioning ducting in the back seat area.
    Could it be better? Sure. Anything can stand improvement. It's got potential for high performance too!
  • larryhartlarryhart Member Posts: 23
    u-r-dumb: I have 55000 miles on my LS. Although not nearly as flawless as Teos' (I needed a new cradle, ISS lube & driver's side power window switch) it is not falling apart. I bought this first year model in 1999 because I knew it wouldn't fall apart - - I've had great experiences with prior 3.8 GM 6 cylinder incarnations and this is the best one yet !!

deacon/garypen: it's evident to me who's a troll and who is droll [go look it up :-) ]. . . LH
  • patpat Member Posts: 10,421
    Deacon and gary, I hope you have worked things out. But if you need to continue, I ask that you take it off-line. The personal attacks are not an okay thing around here.

Deacon, we all know gary is not a troll - he expresses his opinions and if you happen to disagree, that is fine. Feel free to post a reasoned message about why you disagree. But just because you disagree with him does not in any way make him a troll.

Please understand that your argument is over in this discussion - if either of you want to discuss it with me, email me. If either of you want to continue with each other, email each other.

And then there was a REAL troll who showed up here - I've removed his post and a response. If he shows up again, please do not respond. I'll remove his posts as soon as I can. I've mentioned this elsewhere, but this crummy (ooops, did I say that??) software makes it very difficult to delete one post, let alone a bunch. So no response at all would be very much appreciated by your tired-fingered host. ;-)

Pat
    Sedans Host
  • Now I gotta go out and buy a dictionary!
    Maybe you've never read The Night Before Christmas? Lots of folks do not celebrate that holiday - I realize that - but personally, I never hear the word without thinking of that poem.

I think your posts are indeed "droll". ;->
    The Night Before Christmas - is it a book?

If yes, is it something my son must read for not be outside of a common, mainstream American culture?
    Thanks guys for your feedback. Thus far I have not gotten feedback from other W body sites such as Intrigue, Bonnie, Regal, etc. Didn't ask at Century site...reason obvious? I'll probably order a set from GrandPrix.Net or shockwarehouse.com...recommendations? My Regal definitely needs some damping. Later, LAMRON
  • night_owl1night_owl1 Member Posts: 760
    There is a kevlar-based brake pad that does not product black brake dust. I contacted the company a while back and they said they did have a part number for the Impala, but didn't have any in stock yet. I never followed up afterwards. I'll go home and dig through my old notes and see if I can find the company again.
    Hit the panic button on your remote. The honking, flashing lights and annoyed stares will direct you to your car.
    It's a poem - http://www.nyise.org/moore/.

That link is slow to load, but it tells you a little about the author and gives you the text of the poem.

• I checked the KYB site, and didn't find anything listed for a late model Regal (or Impala).

You may find the KYB "Gas a Just" to be a little too firm, anyway. Rock hard.

Shocks with good sport handling reputations are Bilstien, Koni, and Spax.
    Gary, KYB GR2 are available at GrandPrix.net and shockabsorbers.com for GP, Regal etc for about $230-240 for 4. I don't mind a tight shock, have had Konis before and that is what I'd get if I felt like spending $1000+. I put a set of Bilsteins on a 99 Golf TDi and they helped but Golfs are even softer suspended than Buicks. Later, Lamron
  • 33chevy33chevy Member Posts: 28
    Hi, my son-in -law owns a Nissan Altima. He had a problem so I went over to the Altima site. I presented the problem asking for any help from owners who might have experienced a similar problem on a 1995 Altima. No response. I looked at a couple hundred of their notes and had many laughs. All they talk about is where to get the best trade in values and prices on new ones and accessories. From their generic notes I found out I get better gas mileage than they get with our 2000 Venture Van totally loaded on vacation and with air conditioning running. And all they are riding in is a little tin can! My Dad owned Chevy's all his life since 1939 and so have I since 1962. First car a 57 Chevy. We also own a 2000 Impala LS since new. Chevy owners are in general very loyal to their make. Probably more so than General Motors, since they only think profit! This group is very technical oriented and helpful. I want to compliment all loyal Chevy owners. bye
  • hunter39hunter39 Member Posts: 375
    Well at least my Coyotes beat your Sharks! ! Wait a minute.. I guess they didn't did they? Dang, wrong again...Well my seat doesn't rock anymore so there! Whoo hooo!
  • Excellent! I wonder why KYB's own website doesn't any for the 2002 Regal?
    It sounds to me like you might actually prefer the ride of the KYB Gas a Just. If they carry those for your car, you may want to try them instead of the GR2. They're dirt cheap, like $40 each.
    Thank you so much!
  • The Coyotes can feel very proud of what they accomplished this year.

You know what? Ever since I started driving the XJS, I've gotten used to a low seat. So, I lowered the seat in the Impala as far as it will go. It's perfect now. (Just like Teo's)

It didn't make the glove box any bigger, though.
  • That's an excellent idea! Even the horn bleep from the lock button would do it.

After coming out of the movies on Sunday, we forgot where we parked the CL. It makes this timy little beep, like a laptop computer does, when you hit the lock button. You can't hear it at all from even a few feet away. I was PO'd.

Next time, I'll hit the panic button! Thanks!
    For what it's worth, I've never misplaced the "popular" Impala in a lot, only the "unique" CL. So that's what crow tastes like. Tastes like chicken.
  • b4zb4z Member Posts: 3,372
    They may ride firmer, but probably have more control. I would guess that they soak up the small bumps, but are firm on the big ones.
    It is my opinion that the European sourced cars have a better ride/handling compromise than American cars.
  • mediumfrymediumfry Member Posts: 239
    I drove a Acura CL type S today. Hmmm. Interesting. It was a tight, zippy little car. But I didn't like it. The engine was not 260HP worth of zippy (not even close) and the interior was no better quality than an Impala. Interior styling was the SAME as any Honda/Acura/Toyota/VW sedan I've seen that has been built since '95 or before. Granted, I haven't seen many but they sure have their trademark features like the sweeping square/boxy center console with only buttons sticking out, no separation between the radio/HVAC controls/etc. The seat hugged me nicely but I couldn't get comfortable in the thing. Armrests nowhere close to the right place, steering wheel too far away for a long legged person, ...... For $32,000, I can't imagine what folks are raving about. That's a lotta money for a car that thin.

As for scan tools, pending codes are potential DTCs that haven't recurred enough times to trip a true code and MIL. Pending codes go away when you shut off the car. DTCs stay around (without tripping the MIL after the condition clears or you shut off the car). Current sensor conditions out of range will trip a pending code but only a true DTC will cause freeze-frame data and sensor history values to be stored for later diagnostics.
  • nosirrahgnosirrahg Member Posts: 872
    Maybe if we all sell our "hum drum" Impalas, and track down some 2000 Auburn Nightmist Impalas, we'd all stand out enough from the crowd that we wouldn't mind everyone else driving "bland" Impalas!!
    Gary, the gas adjust appear to be shocks only. Our W bodies are four-corner strutters. I ordered a set of GR2 from Tire Rack. The catalogues are 1-2 years behind, thus show no availability for 2002 models. [b4z: Euro-derived VW Golf & Jetta are so soft its a wonder they aren't made in north korea. The Golf I had needed struts, anti-roll bars, and springs. The europeans are getting soft and corrupt.] I ordered using 2001 my. Will report after getting them in and mounted next week, hopefully. Thanks for your input and feedback. BTW, I first replaced the marshmallow FR680 215.70.15 with Yokohama Avid S/T 235.60.15--great difference on the ++ side.! LAMRON
  • Lamron - I've also upgraded to Yokohamas. Big difference. Let me know how you like the GR2's.

memiumfry - No difference in interior quality between the CL and Impala? They must be making the 2002 CL's a lot different. Driving both cars on a daily basis, I'd say, rather conservatively, that the interior quality difference is by a factor of a bazillion gajillion. Well..maybe not that much. But it is discernible.
  • 2k_impala_ls2k_impala_ls Member Posts: 311
    Drop me an email if you need TEO's email address.
    just click on my profile
    Anyone interested in 2000-2002 Impala t-shirts? Been tossing around the idea of creating one, but didn't know if there is a demand.