Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• ryedogryedog Member Posts: 2
    We got a new 2002 LX (only add-ons: roof rack, mud guard, floor mats). Starting with only 20 total miles on the van, the first 600 miles = 22 mpg and next 350 miles = 25 mpg! However, that included three 150 mile round trips to SFO airport (all highway, but some major hills and curves). Overall, probably 75% highway, 25% city driving. I only went "pedal to the metal" twice
    (trying to baby it the first 1000 miles, but couldn't resist), and the rest of the time I went easy on the accelerator and the brakes as well as highway speeds. I'll be thrilled to get even better mileage if the 3.0 Duratec improves with age!

Upgraded from a '88 Camry with 170,000 miles (now the commute car) and loving every minute with our(gasp!) minivan. My better half and 3 year old agree. Thanks to everyone for all the comments on the Edmunds website for helping us make the right decision to buy the MPV, which fits our wants and needs perfectly!

Ryedog
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Don't let the later availability of this option deter you from buying an MPV now. There are better, and cheaper ways of getting an entertainment system. I'm getting an awesome Panasonic DVD system from Tweeter (see tweeter.com for store locations) for $999 installed. It includes a 6.8" flip-down screen that can be rotated left and right. Two wireless headphones are included and so is an input for a video game system or any other video source.
  • pieracpierac Member Posts: 43
    I tend to agree about not waiting on the DVD. Auto manufactures seem to over charge for this option. However, I do favor factory installed options in most cases.
    There is also the option of a portable DVD player that may fit on the tray table. (Would need to secure somehow). You would then have the ability of taking the DVD with you if desired. They have ports for head phones. The prices are coming down and the screens are getting larger.
    I have read some where that lower mounted screens tend to lead to car sickness more than the roof mounted screens? I don't really know if this is true. Just a thought about the portables.
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    Let's put together good Maintenance schedule for MPV. I have started below. Who can expand on it or modify?

First oil/filter change after 1,000 miles.

1. Change oil, filter, lubricate hinges etc - every 3,000 miles or every 4 months
    2. Change or clean air filter - every 12 months
    3. Change brake fluid - every 24,000 miles or every 2 years
    4. Change transmission fluid - every 36,000 miles or every 3 years
    5. Flush cooling system - every 36,000 miles or every 3 years
    6. Replace spark plugs - every 36,000 miles

MB
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    You can compare your notes with ours in the Edmunds Maintenance Guide.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    Who said you need to change oil every 3,000 miles? Severe maintenance calls for 5,000 intervals, while regular schedule requires (I guess) 6,000 miles. Note that Canada completely falls within severe maintenance schedule, so there's no 6,000 here I guess because of salt in winter and humidity in summer. Anyway, I've been changing my oil according to manual every 8,000 km (5,000 miles) and so far so good (51,000 km) with not a single problem.

I believe 3,000 miles is a little be too frequent. MPV is not a Sienna after all :-)

Also item #2 denotes cabin air filter, not engine air filter. Engine air filter should be inspected every 15,000 miles (24,000 km) and replaced as needed.

My 0.02...
    Steve, I went to the link you suggested and from the table below the service interval is ridiculous.

MB

Service

Alex, there is a good write up (link below) about maintenance. I agree with the author that Factory schedules are underestimated because of marketing pressure to show potential buyers how little service a particular car needs. If someone intends to keep a car two - four years then frankly speaking one or two oil changes will be enough as well.

MB

Maintenance_II
  • jyjohnsonjyjohnson Member Posts: 2
    {Sorry for the cross-post - I need some quick advice!}

Anybody had one of these installed? I only plan to "tow" a cargo-carrier. Just called a dealer and price was $450+ (part + installation), which is a bit pricey.

The alternative I'm looking at is one of those boxes that sit on the roof (Thule or Yakima). Yakima has one that will work w/ the OEM roof-rack. Any advice on this? Thanks.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    I "drive 'em forever" and I tend to let the dealer or shop talk me into more than the manufacturer's "recommended" service. Except on oil - I let that go to the "normal" service limit on my van. ymmv.

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda was talking to me today about the entertainment package....estimated MSRP is expected to be $1200 with a 7'' screen and DVD...drop down from the roof.
    no other details.

Rich
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    In dash DVD player(not that you'd expect it elsewhere).
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Why not (jab jab) put it in the middle of the van, under the third row seats? LOL! Just poking fun.

In-dash would rock, and $1200 is a good price imho. Gosh, my wishlist grows daily. Rich, no details on possible release dates though? That'd be a great road trip option.

/j
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    All,

Any news on the Special Financing offer? Edmunds lists it as 4.9% for 60 months, but I have seen other sites that list 3.9% for 60 months and 4.9% for 72 months (that makes the payment go down!). I have also seen 1.9% for 48 months.

Anybody know what the real deal is? Otherwise, will check next visit to the dealer.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Were did you see that Bean? Hmmm, don't get me thinkin' now! Anyway, I'm sure I would take a complete bath on trade-in.

SC
    Did you turn state's evidence or something? ;-)

/j... who'd take 4.9 for 72, also
    I just gotta get used to the name.

Java,
    When I first saw the old VCP placement, I laughed and called somebody an idiot. It never went over well.
    ...blow his cover!

Fwiw, I took 72mth financing on my 2000 and I'm not upside down at 30mths in. Almost, but not quite. :)

/j
  • brantybranty Member Posts: 53
    I had a "hidden hitch" (#90083) installed on my 00 MPV by "Hitch City" 2 years ago - perfect fit. At the time the total cost was $270 installed ($195 for hitch and $39.95 for wiring plus tax). The price is in Canadian $$. When I asked about the hitch at Mazda they indicated that it was the same hitch. I have not had any problems with it since the installation.

Hope that helps

Bill.
  • azscouseazscouse Member Posts: 1
    We have a 1997 modelwhich is fine, if underpowered, exceptfor the A/C which struggles to cool the van down in an AZ summer. Both dealer and A/C shop have said "nothing wrong- it's supposed to be like that"

We are considering a 2002 model (ES) and wondered if anyone had any comments on the A/C effectiveness in the newer model(s).
  • protege8protege8 Member Posts: 9
    Hi, Folks:

I just replaced my old engine filter in my 2000 MPV LX with K & N engine air filter (part# 33-2177-1)by simply dropping in the new one to the air box. I have left out the the self-sticking gasket which comes with the filter(otherwise I have to follow the hours-long K & N's instruction to install the gasket). How important is this gasket and is it going to affect the engine performance? Thanks for the input
    I don't remember a gasket. Does anyone know if K&N revised the filter? Fwiw, I installed p/n 33-2177 (not dash1), so maybe there was some sort of revision. Is there a huge gap or something that the gap could be filling? Interesting.

/j
    azscouse, I have 2002 model (ES) and I live in Florida. AC works fine but as I stated before in this group you have much more glass surface. Therefore, do not compare your car AC to a minivan AC. In a minivan during sunny days AC always will work harder. So, if in a car you can run AC at level 1 then in a minivan you will need to run at level 2 to get the same cooling.
    You can improve cooling action by tinting your windows and keeping the car in the shade. If you keep the car in the shade before you start AC you will cool your car much faster. Also make sure that you turn a switch to re-circulate air inside the car not to draw the fresh hot air from the outside.

MB
    I can't get anything past you guys ;) That *other* guy just had way too boring of a handle! Java, you know my chat moniker was a little much for TH; I needed to come up with something new. It actually fits me pretty well (when I have time, that is). Beach nuts get to see a lot of HSM's ! Malt, WB? ... please explain, lol!

Checked out the Edmund's TMV trade last night on the '01 - ouch! Yep, back to shopping in '04 :(

SC
    I agree with mazda_guy on the car vs. van comparison. I've had cars that couldn't keep up with the heat. I'm sure you already know, but the rear AC option is a MUST for you. I've always heard that the heat in AZ, while extreme, is not so bad due to the lack of humidity. It's the sun that heats up the inside, though, not the humidity. I live in Florida too, in probably the hottest part of the state. Here, it's 90'-95' everyday for at least six months, then 80s and 70s for fall and winter. The sun angle is more direct as well. The AC in our MPV does an excellent job of quickly cooling the van down, and the roll-down rear windows are quite helpful !

Mazda_guy: I’m not sure what you mean about tinting windows. I thought the LX and ES came standard with tinted glass from the factory, except for the front driver and passenger windows? I’ve seen some ’00-’01 DX’s running around town w/o tint, but that model has been dropped for ’02. We can tint the front two windows here, but only up to a certain percentage. I believe some states have different laws regarding tinting these two windows. I suppose they probably make clear tint that reduces heat transfer, similar to windows you can buy for your house with low-e, but I've never known anyone to use it.

SC
  • mainsail2mainsail2 Member Posts: 77
    My K&N didn't come with a gasket either and there weren't any gaps.
    You are right beachnut that MPV comes with tinted windows except for front passenger's and driver's. I tinted front windows and it helps already. Since I bought MPV in February I haven't experienced rally hot weather yet. If I find that original tinting is not enough then I will tint rear much darker. I don't think, however, I will need to do that since rear AC does good job and I usually do not have anybody on a back seats with exception of our dog.

MB
    mazda_guy: where in FL do you live, if I might ask? It sure felt like the really hot weather arrived here about three weeks ago! I need to get my front windows tinted too.

Anybody a tint expert out there? There seems to be a wide range of prices and folks who do tinting. I'm sure there's some to avoid. Any stories?

SC
  • tango_28tango_28 Member Posts: 35
    How to get 27mpg

1. Drive at 67mph, remember driving at 70mph wil
    cause gear haunting with minor inclines on the road.
    2. Make sure tire pressure is at 35 psi.
    3. Temperature is above 55f and below 65f (2.5 duratec has overactive ECU and runs really rich at cold temps)
    4. Avoid jackrabbit starts.
    5.Use cruise control when the road is flat and avoid using it on any hilly roads
    6. This all highway driving.
    7. Have a steady foot.
    8. 416 miles on 14.9 gallons.
    9. I started getting this mileage at 17,000 miles.
    Hi, Javadoc and mainsail2:

Thanks for the feedback. Based on their instuction To install the gasket, first, you need to remove the box and open up the whole box, apply the self-sticking gasket onto the bottom of the box, then place the filter onto it, and reconnect the box to where it belongs. To me , it is hard to tell whether there is a gap or not (after dropping in the new one) since you only can open up the box to a certain extent without taking the box out of the hood. Probably I will just leave out the gasket for now. I do immediately feel the engine runs a little smoother, and I will see how MPG will be improved.
    = Welcome Back
    That is weird that the gasket is separate now. I've never seen this with a filter, but all of my K&N filters have been cone-type before the one on the MPV. A call/email to K&N may be in order to see why they changed their design.

Beach (aka sc): I used to tint when I worked at a sound shop back when I was young and foolish (now I'm just foolish), but I don't work w/that stuff anymore. Getting it perfect is really difficult, and the customer is understandably expecting perfection, but some folks are naturals at it. The key is to have a surgical-clean work environment, sharp razor blades and unending patience. If you have a cat then, fah-get-aboud-it!

/j
    Hi, Javadoc and mainsail2:

Thanks for the feedback. Based on their instuction To install the gasket, first, you need to remove the box and open up the whole box, apply the self-sticking gasket onto the bottom of the box, then place the filter onto it, and reconnect the box to where it belongs. To me , it is hard to tell whether there is a gap or not (after dropping in the new one) since you only can open up the box to a certain extent without taking the box out of the hood. Probably I will just leave out the gasket for now. I do immediately feel the engine runs a little smoother, and I will see how MPG will be improved.
    The Mazda hitch is made by Sure Pull (http://www.surepull.com), not Hidden Hitch.

Keep in mind, however, that just because a manufacturer makes both OEM and aftermarket parts, they are not always the same.
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    I hate Mondays. Gas light is on – must need gas - only drove a million miles on last tank. Gads, $3000 a gallon – or thereabouts. Open gas door, filling tank...small voice from somewhere, “Hey, how do you like your Honda”? Huh? Where’s that coming from? Stand on tiptoes, tall gas pump, short legs. Tall lady on other side filling up Ford van – old van – should be shot - van that is.
    “Exqueeze me, mam”? Feeling inferior - she's really tall...

“What model Honda is that”? She should be shot.. “It’s a Mazda MPV, mam”.

Lady is obviously blind. She comes around pump and looks in van. “I’m looking for a good van to buy right now”. I go into my routine of selling the MPV. Mazda should have me on commission – this has to be the 30th time I’ve done this! Don’t know if I want a blind person driving an MPV tho...
    Again, she goes obsessively blind, “This isn’t a Honda”? Look lady, I’ll carve it on your forehead. Tank is full, I’m putting nozzle back in pump trying to figure out if she’s also deaf too. “No, it’s a Mazda, mam”.
    “Then why do the red shoulder strap coverings have Honda written all over them”?
    Oops…Lady isn’t blind after all.

I couldn’t find “red” strap covers anywhere except for Honda to match red exterior.
    Remind myself to write Mazda for red covers...

Pay gas station attendant all money left over from paying taxes - two pennies and a dime - promise her I will come back and pay the other $20. Lady smokes away with old Ford van - she paid with $50 bill.
    I hate Mondays..
    beachnut, that's funny I was about to ask you what part of Florida do you live? I live in West Palm Beach and you?

I did windows in Tint King. They are here for many years and I always used them. The thing to watch is to find a reputable place that will guarantee for life. I paid for front windows $69.

I tried once 60 minutes Tint but I wasn't happy with their service and attitude when problem arises.

MB
    I’m straight across from you, on the west coast, in Cape Coral/Ft. Myers. I remember seeing this topic on the Yahoo board, but I don't follow that one too much. IIRC, there was talk about certain grades and manufacturers of tint being the best choice. I agree on finding a reputable place - I'm scared of those stereo places that *also* do tinting!

SC
    Beach, were you asking what brand to use? Sorry, can't read my screen for the extreme hours of sunlight we're getting now (sunrise: 6:34am, sunset: 9:19pm, do the math). The deck is clear of snow (yard ain't) and I'm ready for the bbq party! Yeah, so what if it's only 34F right now.

Bob, I'm worried about you friend. ;-)

reqcon: really need to fix a couple of dings in Mochavan. Need to get some touchup paint.

/j
    ... and break out the Ray-Bans. Yes, I was looking for brands and best type within the brand. Suppose I could wind up the google machine.

Bob, at least your fuel door opened ;-) My has been flawless lately tho ...

SC
    I could recommend either 3M Scotchtint Metallic or Llumar HPR. If you want the ultimate protection, I would get the 3M Scotchtint Metallic, but if you want something that protects, looks nice, and is subtle I would get the Llumar HPR. My 2cents and ymmv.

/j
    Beachnut, Tint King is using FormulaOne I believe. You can read a little at Tint King

You may visit WPB and do it right here. For javadoc would be rather difficult :-)

MB

Nah, I don't think java will be able to make it to West Palm for window tinting , tho I doubt we'll be able to crash his bbq either, darn! Grilled salmon sounds pretty good about right now! Thanks for the advice guys!
  • mcadrechamcadrecha Member Posts: 46
    Bean, I bought my '02 MPV in early March and got 4.9% at 60 months. You can actually get lower rates like the ones you are talking about, but this requires that you have a quicker pay back time, such as 24 months, 36 months, etc. In March, they actually had a 0% rate for persons paying back on 12 months.

I do not know if that program is still in effect.

Hope that helps.

MEC
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Java and company...go to www.cars.com, click on Rebates and Incentives and lookup Mazda. They list 0%-4.9% financing as the only consumer incentives for 2002 models. But if you read the fine print, it says 0% for 36 months, 1.9 % for 48 months, 3.9% for 60 months, and 4.9% for 72 months. The only reason I am questioning Edmunds incentive information is if you go to www.mazdausa.com, they have a special section listing special 0% financing and a lease offer on MPV LX ($299.00 per month for 48 months, but probably a super base model LX). Mazda does not give any details, just says go to your dealer. www.cars.com does not list any lease information, but Edmunds does. Since they do not have this lease offer listed, I am assuming that they could be wrong about the 0% for 24 months they have listed and 4.9% up to 60 months. ANYWAY...I am just trying to find out what the real deal is!! I will be visiting a dealer on Thursday, so hopefully I can find out then. (Man, you guys had two more pages of posts...thankfully I needed to take some time and test my company's test internet connection!! Gotta love my job!)
    4 more posts to #3000 !
    Bean, Edmunds is not perfect, that's for sure. For Mazda MPV LX they list dual power sliding doors. I believe the power sliding doors are not available for LX. At least according to www.mazdausa.com

The pricing for used cars is coming from the Mars too. Few years ago I tried to sell VW Golf for the price listed in used car section and I didn't get one phone call for three months until I dropped the price to the trade-in level. I don't know where they getting those prices from?

MB
    3.9% for 60? Hey, I'd do that one too.

And no... I won't do any tinting. I'd rather be prodded with a hot fireplace poker than listen to picky MPV owners whine about a hair in the tint. LOL

Re bbq: Salmon (King, Silver and Red) and halibut... maybe some Alaskan King Crab, ling cod, corn on the cob, the list goes on. Can't you smell the seasonings already? Hahahaha! I just love that huge freezer in my garage (brought home w/our MPV van).

/j
    ... are available on LX in Canada. I don't know if Edmunds tries to please all parties :-)
    Just couldn't resist !!!!
    Awe man!! Missed by [] that much! Ruddy Canuck!