Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota Tacoma: Problems & Solutions

Comments

• 2k1trd2k1trd Member Posts: 301
    I would have the alignment checked.Also you should rotate every 6k miles and make sure the pressure is right.My 01 has no problems with tire wear.
  • hyperformancehyperformance Member Posts: 13
    sounds like all the '04 4wd are shipping with poor front alignments. i would make the dealer at least align the vehicle. i feel like rotating the tires every 6k is a bit much. i don't rotate much and still get good wear out of tires. it all depends on alignment setting and your driving style
  • v_ictorv_ictor Member Posts: 1
    Hi!
    I'm currently having problems with the keyless entry system (VIP) that came with my Tacoma. The remote control seems to be fine and the batteries seem to be working but, it doesn't lock/unlock the doors. I'd like to know if there's a way I can fix or re-configure the VIP system without taking it to a Dealer. Any help will be appreciated. Thanks
  • roncayenneroncayenne Member Posts: 3
    It sounds great to wait and see if the gas mileage gets better but very disgusting. Been thinking about trading it in and go on and get a 6 cylinder like I should have done. It only has 9000 miles on the 2002 xtended cab so s/b able to get a fair trade in value on a 2004 since the 2005 came out. Don't know if I want to spend the bucks or stick it out with the 4 cyl. That low mileage is really a heart breaker!!
  • donald6062donald6062 Member Posts: 1
    The body ECU Controls the ground to from the door switches to the doom light switch. the body ECU might be bad. That what was wrong with my 2001 Tacoma.
  • yironkelyironkel Member Posts: 4
    Hopefully someone will be able to help. I have a 99 3.4L Tacoma. A while back there seemed to be a slight Hesitation in the engine, for example you would step on the gas and then about 1/2 second later the engine would respond. Recently on a camping trip the truck lost almost all its power. I would step on the gas and try to spin tires on gravel, all the truck would do is sound like your pulling a 5,000 pound trailer up a 10% grade. The RPM would only climb to about 2000 RPM and stay there. It sort of cleared up after that but still when I put the pedal to the floor the engine really strains and the RPM climbs slowly. Replaced the Throttle Position Sensor but did not help. Anyone else had this problem

Thanks
  • 73cjdude73cjdude Member Posts: 13
    Hi yironkel,

Did the truck turn on the check engine? If so have the computer scanned to read the failure code. I think it’s Mass Air Flow Sensor related. Does the engine ping ( valve rattle sound) under hard acceleration. Also rough idle? Did you ever use a K&N type filter? An over oiled after market air cleaner is very bad !! Try inspecting / cleaning the MAF .
    Hope this helps (^_^) Jeff
  • yironkelyironkel Member Posts: 4
    Check Engine Light read a TPS, replaced, no difference. No ping, idles like its new. I have an K & N air filter, always cleaned it according to instructions. I'll check on the MAF sensor.

Thank you
  • cchvdoncchvdon Member Posts: 1
    My 2002 Tacoma SR5 started making this horrible "grinding" noise seeming to come from the power steering assembly that houses the hydraulics underneath the vehicle. Is this a warrantable item? Has anyone had this problem? Is the part relatively easy to install?
  • gringo1gringo1 Member Posts: 72
    My 92 4x4 pickup suspension and ride has been beaten up for two years by Mexican roads and speed bumps.

It needs front and rear replacement to enable the truck to take bumps again.

What do you folks recommend for both front and rear?

Thanks,
    Gringo1
  • peppy69peppy69 Member Posts: 1
    Hello - I used to work as a serivce advisor at a toyota dealership. I own a 2004 reg cab toyota tacoma 4x2 with a 2.4 liter engine. I got on the high way 31 mpg and get about 25-27 around town... I would tell the dealership to look at the ecm/pcm and see if it needs to be reprogrammed. This is the only way i see the truck getting such horrible fuel economy. It is true that if the check engine light is not on - there are no fault/trouble codes to diagnose. My vehicle has 4,200 miles on it. Any further questions.. feel free to email me at Peppy11769@yahoo.com... Have a Happy Holiday Season... Harris
  • clovisguyclovisguy Member Posts: 49
    I own a 2002 Tacoma 2.4 4cyl. X-cab automatic and it gets 18-19 MPG only driving in the city. It now has 18K on it and has been a great truck without any problems other then the poor gas milage.
  • rcfieldsrcfields Member Posts: 2
    I have a 04 Tacoma and really like it. It is a XtraCab 2.4 I4 2wd / 5 Speed. I get around 23 in the city and 28 - 30 on the highway. Use 87 octanes and mobile 1 5w30. If any of you are looking at one some major pluses are the ride is very solid and quiet. Firm brakes and good power from 2.4 DOHC. Some minuses are the turning radius seems very wide and makes it harder to maneuver. I would be interested to see why its so large, I drove a full size Ford the other day and then drove my Tacoma and the full size really could make tighter turns.

Anyway the problems:

The engine idles rough sometimes. Usually after I start it and drive for about 10 minutes then come to a light it will idle down to around 550 and it shakes quite a bit. The hood and steering wheel shake mostly. Then the A/C Cycles and it smoothes out and cycles off and it idles rough again. After it’s warmed up its ok, dealer said it can't duplicate so I'll wait till its a little worse or throws a code, it only has 7,000 miles on it. Anyone run into this? Coil going bad maybe?

Last, anyone notice a valve noise? It makes a light ticking noise but I've heard and seen on Google that some of these motors don't have lifters the press right onto a valve bucket? Anyone know if the 2RZFE has solid or hydraulic lifters or none at all?
  • dbeatondbeaton Member Posts: 2
    04 tacoma v6 extended cab, auto, trd.

Pulling out of my driveway, having the steering wheel turned slightly and applying the brakes, a loud metal on metal sound was coming from under the foot. Took it to the dealership who said that it was the abs and everything was fine. Is this normal? The driveway was a little slick. I also thought that the abs wasn't on until you drive faster the 10 mph, so i thought the abs was not on yet.
  • coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    I know these vehicles are just out, however has anyone heard of any problems with the new Composite bodies on the 2005 Tacoma. I live in the Northeast, I did not know if, the weather would affect it or if there was any other problems
  • davedavedavedave Member Posts: 2
    On my 2002 Tacoma, 2.4L engine 2wd automatic, it's been getting more noisy, like a diesel when hot and low idle. Recently, I noticed

a bit of upper valve knock at idle hot, but goes away after a few minutes.

All this started at 6 months, but getting worse. Had one dealer check it out, and record that i came in at 8900 miles, but said he couldn't pinpoint anything. I asked about low oil pressure, as sometimes the oil pressure lite would stay on for 2-3 seconds after starting, seems a bit too long, but dealer didn't think so; this has gotten better in the last year.

Im at 26000 mi, and getting ready to go back to the dealer.

Anyone had any experience, or know of any bulletins that have been issued for this type of problem?

ALSO, sometimes the tranny doesn't shift from 2 to 1 until AFTER I stop; big thump!. Any info / experience on this would be much appreciated.

thanx.
  • footpoundsfootpounds Member Posts: 22
    I can't help you with your engine issues but the big thump you hear is not your transmission. It is axle wrap and all/most Tacomas experience this. Keep your U-joints well lubed and this will help decrease it.
  • davedavedavedave Member Posts: 2
    Thanks,

I figured the u-joints and the bearing carrier for the split (extra-cab) drive shaft were permanently lubed (no fittings). ALso I figured that only 4x4's had axle wrap due to the extra gearing.

I'll check them out. I have had most of the work done @ the dealer so i'll hit them up on it.
    My double cab has about 7 zerk fittings on the driveline and I keep them well lubed (each oil change) and yet sometimes (though rare) I still get the "thump". 2WD is not immune to axle wrap as that is what I have.
  • ecotrklvrecotrklvr Member Posts: 519
    I test drove an '05 Access Cab Tacoma the other day. I was very surprised to hear how loud the heater blower was, in the "Floor Only" mode. And to top it off, the noise was coming from the Defroster vents, along the bottom of the windshield - with very little air actually coming from the defroster vents. When the control was switched to the "Defroster Only" mode, it was MUCH quieter. In " Dash Vent Only" mode - again, no problem. The poor sales guy had me drive it to the Service Department - where it was concluded that something was wrong - damper door stuck, or vacuum hose off. But, another new Tacoma, same model, sounded exactly the same. Anyone else hearing this? Any solutions?
  • glenn43glenn43 Member Posts: 15
    2001 2.7 ltr. 4x4 ext cab. On cold starts or rainy days, I hear, what appears to sound like, belt chatter. It goes away after engine warms up. Have logged 40k miles. Noticed this happening around the 30k mark. On another note, I've had my oil changed religiously every 5k since purchasing the truck new. Coming up on my next oil change at 40k and was considering going synthetic this time around. Have I logged too many miles to start synthetic at this stage of the game? Thanks in advance for any input :)
  • coochcooch Member Posts: 8
    I purchased '05 Taco. Did not want all the extra crap,so bought Access Cab, 4X4, 4 Cyl, with SR5 convenience package.... Like the truck a lot, but hate the large fog lamp holes in the bumper. Can I add factory fog lamps? Will they connect to existing wiring harness? Cost? Any ideas appreciated........Cooch
  • ibjibj Member Posts: 1
    Actually, yes. Sorry I amposting late...just ran across it. I have had the same problemonmy 2003 SR5. Power steering made noise then blew out the fluid. Only noticed it when checking fluid levels and saw theleaking. THat was in November. It just happened again today.
  • punahoupunahou Member Posts: 2
    I have a 2000 prerunner with a locking rear differential. Every now and then, when I take my foot off of the accelerator, the rear end make s loud squeaking noises. I'm not sure if it something in the locking mechanism of the differential, or something else. It does not go away with applying the brakes. Could it be something besides the differential?
  • jhernandezjhernandez Member Posts: 1
    I have a toyota tacoma 1999 3.4L with 127,000 miles on it. It recently started having problems starting. The engine turns fine but it dies off quickly unless I keep my foot on the gas for about 30 seconds. Any advice?
  • centralcalcentralcal Member Posts: 215
    Have you checked the fuel filter?
  • dapperdandapperdan Member Posts: 2
    Okay... another hesitation problem here...

About a month ago I was driving in a blizzard... literally. All of the sudden my Yoda started shaking and losing power on a slight uphill grade. I had to downshift and run at very high RPM and it ran better.

The check engine light was flashing. After about 10 miles of this the problem went away. Then about a week ago I am in some more very cold weather climbing a hill and the same thing... the engine boggs... hesitates... rig shakes. I stopped and bought some HEAT cold weather additive and it seemed better, but then later on the same tank of gas the problem got even worse.

Check engine came on and stayed on.

I bought a new fuel filter and installed it. After a short drive the light went off. Truck ran great for about 1000 miles. Now the problem is back again. Worse when the engine is cold. Even the idle shudders sometimes and if I dont ride the clutch and keep the RPMs up it wants to stall. I cleand the MAF sensor, new Air filter...

The intermittent problem is killing me. Any ideas? I have read it might be coil packs or plugs... Could there be more dirt in the fuel system? There seemed to be some dirt particles come out of the old filter. What else could it be? I'm trying to avoid going to the dealer.

Much thanks to anyone with ideas! My truck is a 99 4x4 with 97,000 miles on it and I'm still hoping for 250+
  • 1cgmi1cgmi Member Posts: 1
    I had the same problem with my 2001 Tacoma four door, v-6. Noise came and went, dealer looked at it and found nothing. Within days of dealer looking it over I noticed lots of steering fluid all over in the engine compartment. Dealer replaced hoses under warranty. A week later problem came back, fluid everywhere and lots of noise. Dealer replaced pump and hoses all under warranty. Never gave reason why system failed. That was two years ago and problem has not come back. Truck had about 20K miles when the problem occurred.
  • toyfamilytoyfamily Member Posts: 2
    Own a 2001 Tacoma Double-Cab, TRD. The brake rotors are warping every 12 to 20,000 miles. A friend said Toyota engineers under estimated the front brake load of the double cabs and the double cab are experiencing this problem from the extra weight. I heard all new Tacomas 00 to 04 have the same front braking system regardless of weight.

Anyone else have this problem?

ToyFamily
    Inadequate brake system? Sounds bogus to me. I have 28,000 on my '02 double cab rotors and all is fine. The prerunners use the same braking system as the 4x4's. The rotors are larger diameter and use a 4 piston caliber. How many rotors have you been through? I could see going through rotors if, for example, you do alot of mountain driving or do some towing. Warping due to ordinary driving seems unlikely to me given the mileage you mention.
  • dapperdandapperdan Member Posts: 2
    Udate on my acceleration hesitation

Replaced the plugs myself yesterday, VERY worn but not fouled in any way. I dont know if I solved the problem because it hasnt been very cold out. I checked the wires and coil packs they looked good. At the least the gaps were wrong from the excessive wear and the truck runs better now.

I bought this truck used because I know it can take some abuse. It looked to me like these were the FACTORY installed plugs NGK/Denso. (At 97,000!?!?) I feel like an idiot for not doing the plugs sooner... word to the wise we all know what happend when we assume.

While I wait for it to get cold... another detail

My locker wont engage... light stays blinking never goes solid. Tried turning, going forward, back etc in many conditions.

Anyone who could describe the process on checking the electronic locker would be doing me a favor.

YODAS RULE!
  • clovisguyclovisguy Member Posts: 49
    I have a 2002 Tacoma Extra-Cab 2x2 with 18,500 miles on it. There is a loud squeaking sound coming from the front brakes when backing up. The truck stops fine though and it had the 15K service done where I bought it new. I haven’t had it checked lately though. Does anyone know if it is something that is covered under warranty? I might wait until the next service is due in March to have it fixed anyway?
  • econguyeconguy Member Posts: 12
    i have a 1998 tacoma 4x4 with 80k miles and automatic tranny. recently started noticing a clicking noise from the engine, audible both inside the truck and when standing next to hood. is a relatively light-sounding noise, as opposed to a clunk. noise occurs whether the tranny is in park or drive, and whether transfer is in 2h or 4h. clicks seem to be at a rate of about 6-10 clicks per second.

noise seems to disappear when rpms go above 1500 (either that, or the regular engine noise drowns it out, but it seems to disappear completely). between idle rpm and 1500, the clicking does not appear to speed up in step with rpms; rather it's either there or not there.

this is happening infrequently, and never seems to happen when i have a mechanic nearby.

any thoughts on what this is, and whether it affects the engine or not? thanks
  • cbryantcbryant Member Posts: 1
    I have a 99' tacoma and have noticed similar noises. It happens when I barely apply to the accelerator or completely let off. It almost sounds like a belt screeching. Let me know if you hear how to fix this problem.
  • mike181mike181 Member Posts: 4
    I also have a problem with the composite bed. Two makers of slide in campers say they won't be marketing campers for the 05 composit beds. Now what?
  • coochcooch Member Posts: 8
    I have a 2005 Tacoma with remote entry... When I use that to lock and unlock the doors, I do NOT get any warning sound (beep).... .. I called the dealer and they said they could not program the system to give the beep when opening and closing.. They also indicated that this was a Toyota problem that they could not fix. The owner's manual clearly states that the system is suppose to beep when remotely unlocking and locking the doors. Sounds awfully fishy to me. Any ideas or suggestions? I really need some help because I cannot determine if the doors are locked unless I try to open them or look at the flash of the parking lights.... Totally stupid..
  • coinneachcoinneach Member Posts: 34
    Evidently, this is by design. It is not a malfunction. They planned to have a silent remote locking system. The manual wasn't updated to reflect the actual truck.

I have the VIP alarm system, and that doesn't make it work either. I mention this in case someone tells you that it will make the horn sound.
  • oregonboyoregonboy Member Posts: 1,650
    I have aftermarket remote locks on my '96 tacoma. Parking lights flash and power locks "thunk". That works great for me.

Everybody and his dog has remote locking that chirps and honks. There is too much noise in this world already without me adding to it needlessly.

james
  • toytech1toytech1 Member Posts: 1
    I have a 03 doublecab 4x4 had the powersteering fluid blow out of the reservoir. Also found that at 30,000 miles the rack and pinion is shot due to slop in the inner rod ends (sockets) eating up tires like a bag of fritos. I believe there is a valve in the rack that is sticking in cold wheather not allowing fluid to flow properly causing it to take the easy way out.(threw the cap)!!
  • coastie1coastie1 Member Posts: 20
    With all these posts in regards to the leaks, and any issues with the composite bed, Is purchsing the Tacoma worth it.. I still cannot find any company that offers a tonneau cover..I may have to got a Tundra..Any ideas. Thank you for the input
  • 88toylc88toylc Member Posts: 53
    I have been a vociferous critic of Toyota for a few issues (cab bolt klunk, swirl in glovebox cover, misrepresentation regarding beeping keyless entry system, more wind noise than I like), but this truck is the best riding vehicle I have ever owned and I prefer its appearance to any other mid size truck. Further, my clunk appears to be going away and I'm getting used to the glovebox swirl. Even though I believe I have a right to gripe about the small problems, I have to admit I would buy this truck again in a heartbeat.
  • gearhead1gearhead1 Member Posts: 408
    Glad your getting along better with your truck, and the clunk is going away! I'm probably buying one, leak be damned. Can't decide what is better looking, the 05 taco trd sport or my wife. They're both just as exciting in their own way. :) I'll post pics of both, and let Edmunds decide. :)
  • gdwtch1969gdwtch1969 Member Posts: 15
    I own a 2004 Tacoma 5000 miles on it.Since I have had this truck it gives me a very hard time starting.This truck is tempermental it starts when it wants.The wiring harness and fuel pump has been replaced.Does anyone have any ideas what the problem could be?This is my 4th trip back to the dealer.The truck will crank but doestn't want to start until the 3rd or 4th try.Then the engine feels very shaky for alittle while.Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.Ready to give up on Tacoma.
  • engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    My 05 Tacoma starts right up.

Okay, some questions...sorry if they might sound dumb...

-You know not to touch the gas pedal when starting a Toyota, right?

-Do you park it outside where it's really cold? (This can make it hard to start so some gas pedal pumps might help.)

-If yes to the previous, I'd invest in an engine block heater.

Don't give up on the mechanics...they'll figure it out or you can use the lemon law to help out! (I think if you visit the dealer so many times in a year, varies by state, you can get a refund or a replacement.)

Good luck!

Boo
    Boo, I never touch the gas petal when starting the truck.I park my truck in the garagae at night even though my garagae is not heated.My truck will start first thing in the morning always, it is just after that first intial start during the day sometimes(not always it just gives me a hard time starting.It could be a warm sunny day it could be a rainy day , it could be a cloudy day.I just can't figure the pattern out.When I called the dealer today they told me they didn't want to take it in the shop, to call them when the problem gets worse.What a solution that is huh.

Gdwtch.
  • leob1leob1 Member Posts: 153
    Sorry to hear about your problem and how the dealer has failed to fix it. You can call Toyota and report it. It's the dealer service department's job to fix the problem under bumper to bumper warranty. If there are other dealers around, try taking it to one of them. If it's happening to you, it has probably happened to someone else. Try calling different shops and reporting what you said in this forum as well.
    Boo, The dealer is trying to say Toyota has to work with the dealership on this one.The dealer says if we can't duplicate the problem we can't fix it.My solution to the dealer was to keep the truck until it doesn't start.But with the lemon law if your vechile is out of service for 30 days or more,Toyota will have to replace or refund your money.It all comes down to that dollar.But I was thinking about taking it somewhere else for service.I will let you know how I make out on this one.Thanks for your help.

Gdwtch
  • marcdmarcd Member Posts: 1
    I have an 03 Tacoma extra cab 4x4. On the passenger side, when you open the door and look down, there is a seam in the metal that is painted over. This seam is on both sides. These seams are on the bottom of the door frames where you step in the vehicle. Anyway, on the passenger side, the paint over the seam has cracked away. Is this common, does anyone else have this, should I be worried, or can I just fix it with touch-up paint. I hope it is not structural
  • edavis2005edavis2005 Member Posts: 3
    I purchased a 05 Tacoma (Double Cab) I love the truck. But here is my quirk. I can use the keyless entry to get in and once in I want to have the truck "automatically lock" either when I put the truck in gear or I turn the ignition on. I know it sounds a bit picky, but I really like this feature. Has anyone had this same issue resolved with their new 05? Thanks
  • engineerbooengineerboo Member Posts: 45
    I don't think we have this option...mine's never locked the doors by itself. (Except when I use the keyless to unlock and then not get in right away...it will relock itself.)

Boo
This discussion has been closed.