Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• marylizusmarylizus Member Posts: 24
    In an earlier post, someone mentioned buying a cooler that plugged into the rear of the MPV and seemed tailor made for it. Can't find the post now. Can anyone refresh my poor memory? What kind of cooler was it???
  • mazda_guymazda_guy Member Posts: 183
    marylizus, I have read that too. As I recall it was an electric 12V cooler that you can buy in Wal-Mart

Also congratulations on your new MiniVan! Would you share with us which model did you buy/options/color?

MB
  • van4dogsvan4dogs Member Posts: 1
    I am looking at the MPV and am interested in what other owner's likes/dislikes are. Also what problems if any? I have found a new 2001 ES at a great price.
    I am replacing my 96 Jeep Cherokee 4.0l and am concerned about the lack of power that I have read about. I really love driving my Cherokee but now I need more cargo room and would love a more car like ride.
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    You're right, I didn't phrase it well. You CAN have the overhead system with the moonroof, but it will be so far back that only the 3rd row passengers would be able to see the screen without breaking their necks.

By the way, one disadvantage of the overhead system is that the screen blocks almost all of the view in the rearview mirror.
    van4dogs, don't be lazy, scroll back and read couple hundred messages to get the full picture instead of asking people to repeat themselves.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    Great to know. I just didn't want you missing out on an option that you wanted. I hadn't thought about the screen blocking the r/v mirror. I guess that's a good reason to go for headrest-mounted screens.

/j
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Gee, Forbes likes our TMV calculator, and you have to start somewhere.

Learn More About TMV

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    I don't agree with Forbes. I go with Dulnev. I find that the only pricing good on Edmunds are Invoice and MSRP. All others like TMV and appraisal for sale of a used vehicle are simply useless and out of touch with local markets.

I also do not agree with Forbes statement "WORST: Drab design, overwhelming amounts of information"

I think design is pretty good and I wished it was more information LOL

MB
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    Mazda has talked to us about the factory dvd set up but has yet to actually give us anything solid....They asked me if a 7'' drop down screen with DVD and a retail price around $1200 would do the trick...I said yes. I'll let everyone on here know when the details hit my desk.

Rich
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Someone posted awhile back and wondered what dealers I am looking at...Sorry, work has been busy, so couldn't "test" the internet connection lately. Umm...the closest one to work is Brown's Mazda in Fairfax. This would be good for regular maintenance, since I could drop it off and get a ride to work. But I live closer to Fitzgerald's in Frederick (still 30 miles away), and they seem to have a great pricing policy, including actually listing the vans for $100.00 over invoice, so that seems like the easiest route. I bought my Protege at Rosethals in Tyson's Corner, but had a bad maintenance experience, so will probably not try to buy there. I got a great price, but I (and family) were in dealer for >5 hours. My plan of attack for the van is to go to Browns (have already spent hours there, they will probably be glad to sell me a van, just to get rid of me), say here is my $100.00 over invoice offer, if they give me any bunk, then show them the internet printoff from Fitzgeralds. If it is still no go, then I will walk out and just go to Fitzgeralds who already lists what I consider to be a fair price. I will probably still go to Brown's for maintenance (convenient), but I don't really want to spend another 5 hours in a dealer.
    Careful Java, or I'm gonna wish a second Spring dump on you (of course, you'll be in Hawaii anyway....).

;-)

Steve
    Host
    Bring it baby! I just took the snows off of the van yesterday, so I'd expect nothing less than 6" of the white stuff. BTW, I broke yet another locking lug, those POCs. I swear they use pot metal for those things. I'm going to make the dealer's service folk put on std lugs instead.

70F in your area anyway? My dad's already got his jetskis out to take to the reservoir, lucky bugger. I've still got my snow blower ready for action, go fig'r.

/j
  • cubbybullcubbybull Member Posts: 4
    I have waited for about 2 years for Mazda came up with the bigger engine so i could purchase an MPV and last week i went to the Autobarn in Evanston,ILL and find that there is a $1680 markup for worthless stuff like "acid rain paint protection" and fabric protection. That brings the sticker for an ES to over 30.000. They must think their customers are morons and i guess its another dealership, or perhaps looking seriously at the Ody.
  • badgermommabadgermomma Member Posts: 23
    I also went from a v6 Cherokee to the MPV and while the get up and go isn't the same it isn't something that bothers me, the room and convience of the van far outweighs any perceived power issue. Really, I go out and drive just like always, I don't drag at stop lights, but then I never did.

Jane
  • billmckinleybillmckinley Member Posts: 167
    Like her I went from a Cherokee to an 01 MPV. As she says, you'll never confuse the two in regard to pickup, but that said, it's no big deal. There's enough to get you going acceptably at stoplights and up the steep hills around here, and I've taken it on the Interstate, where it merges and keeps up with traffic quite well. The merge is a bit pulse-pounding, but mostly I think from the roaring of the engine--certainly I've never been run down getting onto the I-State. If youy like the van, otherwise, don't be put off by the more leisurely acceleration-- you'll get used to it in time, and even occasionalyy come to think of it as spritely now and then.

Good Luck

RJ.
    Locking lug? Didn't use those fancy lugnuts on my van up there. Did you see that I had to replace a stripped stud when I rotated my tires last week? Dealer accepted responsibility even though it's out of warranty (they worked on it last).

Sorry, no MPV links today :-(

Steve
    Host
  • bobg16bobg16 Member Posts: 4
    Received my new MPV last week, the dealer delivered it to my house. shimmering sand LX with few options. A question how come the LX has a DX badge on the rear? I wanted to get the 16" wheels but could not find anything with that option that did not have ever other option in the book along with it. I am wondering if it is worthwhile to change wheels and tires for 16 or 17" through a tire dealer or is it possible to go one size larger (2.15x15) on the same rims?
  • dad4rtmdad4rtm Member Posts: 2
    Try Muller in Highland Park or Roto in Arlington Heights. I got a Shimmering Sand LX for about $40 over invoice from Muller by using their Internet site thru Mazdausa.com. My sister got the same van at Roto for about $200 over invoice without going thru the Internet.

Ron
    Brown's Fairfax Mazda is where I got my MPV ES at S-plan a week ago. They are the best dealer in Northern VA as far as I am concerned. My tribulations concerning pricing with Brown's make me believe they'd be more than happy to match a competitive offer. The tribulations were in no fault Brown's fault; it was Ford's fault since they just discontinued S-plan on MPVs and did not notify the dealers. The Brown's manager has been great!
  • natlanticnatlantic Member Posts: 1
    A member on the Yahoo list has wondered if a Yakima rack for the 2002 MPV is possible, given the possible mounting points and the distance between them. Anybody have any experience? My local dealer says if it ain't on his list, it ain't available.
    Bob Bollini
    Yakima and Thule are pretty good about getting clips fabricated so their towers fit new models. I bet something is in the wings.

Steve
    Host
  • bobaranbobaran Member Posts: 4
    We live in Evanston and decided to buy our '02 MPV LX last month at Jacob's Twin rather than Autobarn. Got it for invoice too. They offered all of that protection stuff, so I assume on the ES it is something that is optional. I don't know what the Autobarn was trying to pull on you.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Just about every dealership in the world seems to put all these *fluff* charges on most new cars. Things like "Appearance Package", "Scotchgaurd", "Body Undercoating", etc. are all added-on by the dealer at a substantial price. I would NEVER pay for any of those things. Those are the first items that fly off the sticker when I negotiate. Just be firm, and if they're adamant about making you pay for these silly options, then they probably won't be easy about the rest of the process. That's when you leave. And it looks like dad4rtm and bobaran have posted possible alternatives for you. BTW, don't think that the Honda dealer won't do the same thing. In fact, they'll probably try to get you for a "Market Adjustment" too. FWIW

SC
    I believe the DX is only offered in Canada this year, so I'm surprised to hear your LX has a DX badge on the back. Did you buy an '01 or '02 MPV? The few DX's I've ever seen didn't have privacy glass or body-colored molding (black instead). Maybe your dealer somehow got a hold of one destined for Canada? What options do you have, or should I say, don't have?

SC
  • brmudabrmuda Member Posts: 50
    I own '00 MPV and had the Rosen sys (w/VCP) installed by outside vendor (not factory installed). I had them place the VCP under fr pass seat (removal of the useless slide tray is req'd). The Rosen VCP fits perfectly. Unless a DVD player measures much larger (it should be smaller) it will fit fine.

I, too, was concerned w/screen placement due to my also having a moonroof. I actually measured placement of fact installed screen in MPV w/NO moonroof vs. where it has to be positioned (aft of the moonroof) and it's literally a few inches.

Mine is placed immediately aft of the moonroof and visibility from 2nd row seats is fine (you're not right on top of it).

Hope this info helps.
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    Bob. Call Yakima at 1-888-925-0703 from 8 - 5 Pacific time. They will be able to tell you what is available, what is not, and what is in the works. danandkat
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    We need to hear more about your vehicle...if you email me your Vin# I will get to the bottom of your DX badging question.
  • sd1228sd1228 Member Posts: 46
    Has anybody bought 02 MPV in Austin/San Antonio
    region (For that matter even Houston)?
    If so, what kind of deal you got ?

(All the MPV's I have seen on road look like 01 or
    older year models)
    I will be in the market later this year (probably
    Aug/Sept time frame). Hence the question.
  • sillyappasillyappa Member Posts: 9
    I never got a response and was wondering if anyone had any info:

Does anyone know whether color-coded plugs are available to cover the ugly holes in the front bumper where the license plate screws would go? Shouldn't I have gotten them when I bought the car?

Thanks!
    I was actually thinking about your question last night! I've been wondering what to do about it since we bought our MPV in Sept. I tried putting on the big vanity plate holder, but I didn't like the way the front-end looked. Why not get some touch-up paint, paint a couple aluminum bolts, then carefully (so as not to chip the paint) screw them into the holes? I haven't looked for my teal color at the local auto parts store yet, but I think I'm going to give that a shot ...

SC
    I bought Q-Clips for my MPV a couple of weeks ago and you need Q-34 clips for the front and Q-110 clips for the rear, $48 at REI for the set. You also need 58" bars (at least). These are for the 2000/2001 vans, and unless Mazda did something drastic in the door openings, which I seriously doubt, these clips will still work for the 2002 van.

Mine went on lickity split once I adjusted the bars around for the different width between my MPV and my Volvo. Took 20 minutes to be ready to rock and roll. My mountain bikes fit up there w/o a problem with the length and I already hauled an extension ladder to the mil's for some spring roof cleanup.

/java
  • sillyappasillyappa Member Posts: 9
    Hmmm.... Interesting suggestion. Our MPV is silver, so maybe I can actually get away with putting in bolts without painting them. I'm just a little annoyed that Mazda does not provide something so simple.
    Why not get a couple of carriage bolts? I'd imagine they'd work very well in this application, no?

/j
    How about installing custom license plate? It will look better than any kind of plugs.

MB

• sweet_subiesweet_subie Member Posts: 1,394
    I recently moved my Houston. Most Mazda dealers that I came across, I bought one in Houston, are SLEAZY !

Do not pay more than 300 to 400 over invoice. The dealerships in Houston cook their own invoices tooooooo.......be careful to check the invoice price.......on dealers website, Like QuirkCars.com in MA.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Just remember if you use lag bolts or any thing else steel, make sure to use 316th stainless so they will not rust and discolor the bumper.
  • attorney82attorney82 Member Posts: 1
    Several have noticed the poor position of the gearshift lever in the middle of the instrement panel. It appears to me it would be simple for the lever to be bent further upward to get it out of the way. Surely the manufacturer could do this at the factory. Is there a good reason why Mazda has not changed it yet? Does anyone know if it is possible to bend the lever upward without damaging anything?

2002 LX
    Not that easy to change. Depending in what position you place lever (D, R, N, 2, 3) something is going to be obstructed. Moreover, when the steering column is adjusted up and down that also changes position of the gearshift lever. I guess they had to compromise.

MB
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    In Texas you have to have a front license displayed on your horse...er, automobile.
    Of course, this is contrary to what 90% of Texans think...
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Same here in CA. It's more of a technicality the officers use to pull people over at will.

When I turned 16, I took my father's car out one night which didn't have a front plate on it for the 5 years he had it. Within 45 minutes of me leaving the house I was on the side of the road looking for his registration (which he had in his wallet). Needless to say, I got a fix-it ticket for both the license plate and registration.

Another time I was out in my VW van and had stopped in the quickie mart that was on the corner of a known drug dealing street. Just as I pulled out of that street I was pulled over by a zealous young officer who said I had no front plate. After the incident above, I made sure there was one, but I took the officer at his word. After he looked me over and figured that I wasn't a typical pot-head he relaxed a bit. I then asked again if he was sure I didn't have a front plate. He walked around front and said, "Oh, there is one there; sorry for the confusion." He then sent me on my way. @$$#@!&

Since my early 20s I have left the front plate off every vehicle I have had and have never been pulled over for it.
  • modeltmodelt Member Posts: 12
    Reading back several posts I see that I'm not alone with this problem. Since day 1 after I bought my LX, I've been getting zapped every time I get out of the car. I can see the spark when my hand is about 1/4 inch from the car. If I avoid touching anything metal on the car, I would get zapped when I open a door or touch anything else metal. Yesterday I finally get tire of this and sold my car...j/k. I bought an anti-static spray at a local market's laundry detergent stand and no more painful shock. Hope it will last for awhile before I need to re-spray my driver seat.
  • danandkatdanandkat Member Posts: 67
    On page D1 of today's (4/30/02) Wall Street Journal is an interesting article regarding how some new car buyers find it worthwhile financially to purchase a vehicle from a dealer that isn't local. These folks just use local dealer for test drives, and then get on the internet/phone to shop for best deal. Certain discounts are only regional, some dealer may be overstocked or more willing to deal, or a dealer may have the exact options/color etc. desired. In any event, these buyers find that the money saved on the car purchase more than offsets the cost of travelling to get it. Worthwhile reading for anyone considering a purchase--even if you are not planning to travel to buy. danandkat
    Modelt, I was always zzzzzaped when I had VW with velour seats (now I got smarter and I got leather) and I developed a technique for getting out of the car without being electrocuted. Here is how it works. When you stop your car open the door while holding firmly to some metal part on the door. While still holding the door step out and touch the ground with your foot. This way you are grounded and electrostatic charge will go directly to the ground instead of jumping from your hand to the door. Another way to avoid zzzzaping - Get Leather LOL.

MB
  • modeltmodelt Member Posts: 12
    Mazda_guy, I would have got leather if it didn't come with the power door. I'm thinking of getting after market leather when my cloth seats are worn out, if they ever worn out. Interesting way of getting out of the car there. I'll try it later on the passenger side. Guess I can still use my anti-static spray as air freshener.
  • bobg16bobg16 Member Posts: 4
    Here in California front plates are required.
    Reason is so they can photograph the front of your car at intersection if you run a red light.
    Cameras are located on utility poles at busy intersections for that reason.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    Here in Irvine, CA they have a couple of those where it photographs the driver's pic from the front and then get's the license plate from the back of the car.
  • otishotish Member Posts: 59
    Ummm maybe it is my electrifying personality or something like that but I get shocked most of the time when getting out of my MPV and I have leather seats. It may also be the child behind me building up the static electricity by kicking my seat a lot.
  • alexv1nalexv1n Member Posts: 248
    I'm almost used to the electric shock which we have had since we get our 2000 LX. However it does seem go away in summer most of the time (must be humidity). But winters are pretty painful. But I got used to it. In fact, I begin to enjoy it. :-) Yeah, perversion, I know... But that's all of our nature anyway. LOL.

BTW, it also matters what you wear. Synthetic fiber will give your more shock than, say, cotton.

Anyway, never thought of selling the van because of that.
    I have read somewhere in Edmunds newsgroups that someone had installed aftermarket leather and in fact it looked better than original factory.

Alex1n be careful don't enjoy too much cause one day you may get an orgasm and then what??? LOLROF

MB
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    I'm not sure if anybody has noticed but to have GFX package one has to also get the moon roof. But I thought that moon roof ccouldn't be had with the future DVD option. What's the story? Also, why would the marketing research indicate that people who want GFX also want moon roof?

kcz