Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Autobytel.com - What has your experience been?

Comments

• suzzannsuzzann Member Posts: 56
    I had to ask for a statewide search. I live in a small state. They sort by county. You should ask any questions on the Priceline thread here in Smart Shopper. There are people from Priceline who monitor that one.

Now, back to Auto-By-Tel. I have a friend who is trying for an MDX in the San Francisco Bay area. Anyone have luck there?
  • bobbiesbobbies Member Posts: 34
    Once I have the Edmunds invoice price for the vehicle and options, what % above invoice should I offer that the dealer would accept. I don't want to make and offer and get thrown out. Comments??
  • bigred18bigred18 Member Posts: 6
    I used autobytel to get quotes from other dealers with in 100-200 miles from where I lived. I then went to a dealer near my house and when I tried to deal I had a quote from another dealer and told them I could easily go to them and buy the car. they usually match or come close to the quote you have... they don't want to lose you to another dealer. If they don't come close or match go some where else. It works.
  • CarMan@EdmundsCarMan@Edmunds Member Posts: 38,514
    bobbies, I don't think that a discussion that was created to specifically discuss consumers' experiences with Autobytel.com is the best place for you to ask this question. You may want to try re-posting it in a more related discussion, or even starting your own new one. For now, I will reply to your post here. Don't worry about getting thrown out of a dealership for making an offer. It is their job to try to get you to spend as much money as possible to buy the car or truck that you are interested in and it is your job to buy it for as little as possible. There unfortunately is no one right answer to your question. The amount of money over dealer invoice that you will need to pay to obtain the vehicle that you want will vary significantly from model to model. The prices of products will vary depending upon the supply of them and the consumer demand for them. In fact, many vehicles that have incentives available on them will actually sell for less than dealer invoice. Conversely, extremely popular models may sell for full MSRP. Once you have decided upon the exact model or models that you are interested in, you should be able to get a decent idea of how much money they are selling for by looking up their True Market Value prices right here at Edmunds.com. After getting that number, you probably should visit the appropriate Message Board here in the Town Hall (i.e. the SUVs board if you are interested in a Bravada or the Sedans board if you are interested in a Turus) to interact with fellow community members who either currently own or who are shopping for the same model. They should be able to give you a good idea of a reasonable price range for the vehicle that you want.

Car_Man
    Host
    Smart Shoppers / FWI Message Boards
    Car_Man has good advice, use the Edmunds TMV as a guide. I'd try to beat it, sometimes you can. I have two friends car shopping right now. One is looking for a Camry, the other an MDX. The Camry shopper used TMV and beat it easily, not so the MDX shopper. Both are now considering using an internet service to finish the job, ABT being one possibility.
  • abtsellerabtseller Member Posts: 291
    "shopping" service, it is a "buying" service. You are making a lot of people spend their legitimate daily productivity to quote you pricing and inventory, without giving them the courtesy to allow them the opportunity to earn your business. Many people don't realize that it takes as much time/ effort to quote a "legitimate" buyer this information as it does for a phony lead. I'd certainly hope you're not in a business where you rely on people such as yourself for a living.

Ed
    What is wrong with shopping for the best deal? Isn't that what ABT claims you'll get? You mean it's not true?

I can't imagine it takes that much time for someone to quote a price on a car. Just do it and move on to the next one. What's the big deal?
    himself that he wasn't intending to use ABT to buy, just to shop. That's what I have an issue with. When you're working umpteen leads a day, it is a given that many of them are "shoppers" and that's a part of business, but it takes time away from the "buyers" that really need the extra attention.

Its not as simple as looking up a car/ number in the computer and sending out an email. Many times the lead comes in as a nebulous email that requires you to call the people and find out the particulars of what they're looking for, check the availability of a color, etc, and quote prices based on what is there and the equipment available. I can type very quickly, but I'd rather spend my day on legitimate customers.

Ed
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    I've read almost this entire thread. I'm amazed that people will spend so much time and effort to get (what they think is) the 'best price.' I keep reading and re-reading posts 3-5 (I realize they're old). This guy 'didn't want to spend the time' going to his dealer and haggling (or not) the 'old-fashioned way'. Instead he calls, prints, faxes, etc. with a dealer 200 miles away, all the while griping about it, that he knew he wouldn't ultimately buy from. As if *that* didn't waste any time.

I mean, I can understand wanting to get a good (reasonable) price. I think in most cases though, dealers aren't going to be too far off from each other in price on most cars. Do some research via the internet, see what the cars are actually trading hands for (vs. MSRP) then go to the dealer of your choice and make your deal. It's not that hard, is it? I don't think it's any more reasonable to expect a car dealer to make no profit on their product than to expect the same anywhere else.

Personally, I'd rather spend a couple hundred dollars more buying a car from either a dealer I like, or one that's close to home, or preferably both. The only reason I can see for considering a dealer far away is if you're looking for something really special.

That said, why do people feel like it is their right and moral obligation to absolutely get the 'best price' on cars? Is it so they can brag to their friends? Will it make the difference between food on the table or not if they pay $200 more than the guy down the street? I don't see people haggle this much on anything else, not even real estate. People take out thirty year mortgages on which they can waste $200k and they don't care as much about that as they do about $10 a month on their car payment. Do we haggle at the grocery store? We probably spend as much, or more, there than we do on our cars, and that has absolutely no resale, right?

It seems ABT is basically a 'service' that charges dealers big bucks to provide really marginal leads, and provides skittish/non-serious shoppers a way to get the dealers to battle for business. Ick.
  • cupholder1cupholder1 Member Posts: 231
    Well, I feel like my time is wasted when I ask for a quote on a car with manual transmission and cloth seats, and I get a response telling me that they have an automatic with leather.

I actually just purchased a car as a result of a dealer quick quote request that I submitted. I again made the particulars of my vehicle request clear and specific. This dealer responded by stating that they didn't have what I wanted presently, but it would be arriving in a week or so (which it did)...

Other dealers would just say "come on down and let's talk about it..." or would simply say that what I wanted was not available... Did I "waste" their time by submitting ABT requests to them?
    I did buy a car that had different options from those I had chosen. In my case it was because Subaru uses different configurations and codes, the internet service I used had the wrong options packages for my region. Still, I was satisfied and saved a lot of time and trouble shopping for a good deal.
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    I mean, I can understand wanting to get a good (reasonable) price. I think in most cases though, dealers aren't going to be too far off from each other in price on most cars.

I recently bought a new Altima, and the dealer I bought from gave me a "best price" $1000 less than any other dealer that had what I was looking for in stock. I may have been able to haggle the other dealers down, but why should I waste my time with that?
  • landru2landru2 Member Posts: 638
    How do you know that 20 minutes of "haggling" wouldn't have gotten you a price $1000 lower than what you ended up paying?
    I guess we'll never know the answer. Too bad the other guys didn't have the sense to offer a best price up front, huh?
  • aftyafty Member Posts: 499
    The dealer that was $1k cheaper also had exactly what I wanted in stock. The other dealer had something similar but the color was wrong and it didn't have one of the options I wanted. But I might have settled for it if the other offer hadn't been presented.

I don't think there was room on the deal to go another $1k below what I'm paying. I'm paying about $200 above invoice on a new, "hot" model. Edmunds TMV on my car is a full $1700 above what I'm paying for it. All this with no haggling whatsoever.

Besides, aren't you guys always preaching that we should spend a little extra money to get a good buying experience rather than "grinding" a dealer over a few hundred dollars?
  • ghuletghulet Member Posts: 2,564
    If I found the exact car I wanted at a price I thought was great, I'd buy it, too. Most of us just don't have the time to pass up a car we really like at a good price, only to spend another day or half day shopping other dealers, who likely don't have what we want anyway.
  • mirthmirth Member Posts: 1,212
    Autobytel just had it's 10 millionth customer. Must be doing something right.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    10 million hits it different than actually doing real business with 10 million people.

Rich
  • isellhondasisellhondas Member Posts: 20,342
    Your post # 60 says it all.

You would be amazed what people will put themselves through in order to "save" a lousy buck on a car. It's usually not 1000.00, it's 100.00 they are chasing.

I could never believe how downright CHEAP some people can be and I've been in retail all of my working life.

Looking for a good price and a good value is important to me too. There does come a point however....I almost get embarrassed for them!
  • cccompsoncccompson Member Posts: 2,382
    Autobytel.com should be considered just another option by buyers who do their research. It can be particularly good when it comes to a car in high demand. A year ago I (ordered to specification and) bought a PT Cruiser through them and it was the easiest new vehicle transaction I've done. Total time on the phone was about one-half hour and three calls (order, notification of pending delivery to the dealer, and arrangement of delivery to my house). Because of the demand for this vehicle at the time, I saved several thousand dollars compared to prices quoted by local dealers, took delivery sooner, and got exactly what I wanted.

Now that PT Cruiser supply has caught with demand, I doubt I would save anything using autobytel.com, at least here in Central Ohio where dealer competition (judged by newspaper ads and otherwise) is fierce.

Some earlier posts reference the desirability of buying from a local dealer. Unfortunately you can't tell going in. The PT Cruiser came from Waikem Motors in Massillion (120 miles away) while their Honda outlet is local.
  • mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    For anyone that has had a bad experience with Autobytel, it's really not their fault. Also, this service only works well in large metropolitan areas that have multiple dealers that must compete with each other to get business. For instance, a friend of mine in rural Indiana submitted a request for a car and received an invitation from a local dealer to come in and talk about the car. I submitted a request in Chicago and was give an price right over the phone. A lot of this may have to do with the individual dealerships, but since the dealer here in the Chicago area knew I could take that quote to another dealer and use it as leverage in the negotiation, he was incented to give the absolute best price he could. Can you do this without Autobytel? Absolutely! You may actually have to work for it.

As for dealers who complain about those of us using ABT as a research tool, stop crying about it! It sounds like you're complaining about doing a job you get paid to do!!! Maybe, if you treated those leads more seriously you'd get more business.
    Autobytel is nothing more than a lead referral service that is paid by the dealer to send them leads. They do not set any standards that the dealership has to follow as far as pricing or service. They do not even require that the dealership provide pricing over the phone. When you are referred to an Autobytel dealer you are just getting the one that paid Autobytel to send names to them rather than to their competitors.

mjday,
    Did you buy from the dealer that gave you the quote?
  • mjday1972mjday1972 Member Posts: 77
    I did end up buying from that dealer. The price was $300 over invoice, and that's better than the quotes I received elsewhere.
    Landru is right, you're going to get a dealership when you use ABT. However, the dealership you're using will at least appreciate the fact that you're an "internet type" of customer. If the dealership is treating their internet leads with old-school techniques, then they are wasting money buying the leads. There's a huge difference in the way the internet consumer wants to be treated over the way that floor traffic gets handled. We've got 10 people working our internet leads, soon to be 15. Its a completely different environment.

Ed
  • 2heeldrive2heeldrive Member Posts: 87
    ABT saved me $1000.00; I got the exact model with the options I wanted and made one trip to the dealer to pick up the car. It was a dealer that I would never have discovered on my own, even though they are in my metro area. Yes, it is the dealer, and this dealer will get more of my business and will get referrals as well. It was the easiest auto purchase I have ever had. Perhaps I was lucky, but I'm happy!
  • tom257tom257 Member Posts: 1
    You are now hearing from a salesman. I have always loved and hated buying a car. I have bought over 25 new cars in my lifetime. It has always been difficult to be able to see the car and read the sticker without being jumped by the salesman as soon as you get there. I retired with a pension and decided after some months to look for a part time job. They were looking for sales people, so I applied. Now that I am on the other side of the fence...I see things differently. We are out there to try to provide you with some answers to your questions. You cannot drive a vehicle on the internet yet? I think the internet is great! It can give you all the answers like models and equipment and suggested price etc. Did you know that most salespeople make minimum wage until they sell a car? That is true! If we do not sell a car we are just like the person you see behind the counter at McDonalds. I do not need the job but it gives me purpose in my life. I get all dressed up and cannot wait to get to the lot and see if I can help someone find the vehicle they are looking for. You get to smell that new car smell all day long and you don't even have to buy a car. We sell Buicks, Isuzu's, and VW's in North San Diego County! I just wanted you to know!

Tom257
  • irish21irish21 Member Posts: 12
    Very little difference between internet and dealership. Most of the 'free quotes' only referred me to a salesperson. The only quote with a price was a few hundred below MSRP for an American car. Add $50 to transfer price, pad other costs. You treat a salesperson with respect and courtesy and they treat the customer the exact opposite.
  • dustidusti Member Posts: 36
    got a long email back from the autobytel dealer.

Read the whole thing.

Lots of speil...

but

NO QUOTE.

Broke their contract.

PROMISED ME A QUOTE.
    will be by email only. Lots of times we don't get enough information to give an accurate quote by email. Did anyone make an attempt to call you on the phone?

Ed
  • dustidusti Member Posts: 36
    the email said something about you had to commit to buying at whatever the quote was before they'd give you the quote.

Guess they were catering to that portion of the Internet market that had just fallen off the turnip truck.
    forward the message. You're supposed to get a quote. Are you sure you're not talking about priceline. You're supposed to commit to something with them before they give you a quote.

Ed
    Ed's right, that does sound like Priceline. You're supposed to name your price there, on Autobytel they give you a quote. I've had a friend use this with no problem, and I used them for a quote also.
  • chouettegychouettegy Member Posts: 2
    I used AutoByTel to order/purchase a 2002 Honda CR-V. For me, it worked great. However, I did not get an initial quote either.

What worked for me was that I did not leave my phone number (entered a phony one since my number is unlisted). The fleet/internet manager emailed me requesting that I call him. I replied asking for a quote and if I liked it, I would contact him to schedule an appointment. I also mentioned that I was serious about buying and had already obtained financing to provide him incentive to provide me a quote on my terms.

He gave me a quote which was about $1,000 better than Edumnds TMV. The car was $750 under MSRP (with discounted add-ons) while most dealers in the San Diego area go MSRP or higher for this vehicle.

For high demand vehicles in short supply, I would recommend using this service. For vehicles whose TMV is close to invoice, dealing with the sales staff will probably yield the same or better result.
  • mpevznermpevzner Member Posts: 41
    I bought a '99 Galant ES V6 in '99 from Autobytel. The whole sale process was fast, easy and positive experience. Unfortunately the Galant was a LEmon, however it's Mitsubishi that is at fault here, not Autobytel. I live in Northern CA, the retail dealers are a bunch of arrogant a-holes. I am definitely buying my next new car through Autobytel.
    You didn't buy your car "from" AutoByTel. You bought it from a dealer that was tied into ABT.

A "retail" dealer who may or may not have been a quality store.
  • masspectormasspector Member Posts: 509
    This may be long so bear with me:

I used the ABT service when I purchased a 1996 Sable LS. Back in the day, the service really was on the phone. A friend had given me a flyer he got in the mail advertising this service and an 800 number. The flyer guaranteed me a vehicle at dealer invoice cost. I did my research on the web and with priceguide magazines. They gave me a dealer and salesman to call. I called him and after a little confusion about the prices he did offer me the new vehicle at invoice plus I got a $600 rebate and no dealer fees. Then came the trade in. He quoted me about $1500 les than it was worth. They also did not have my exact car in stock. No dealer in my area had it exactly like I wanted it. I had to order it. The dealer I bought from matched the invoice pricing and started about the same for my trade. When I told him how much I wanted for my trade, he said that was way too high and he could not do it. I said fine and left. Guess what? The next day he called with an offer that was $1000 higher on my trade than any other dealer plus my new car at the same price. I bought the car from him because of the good price on the new car and he was within $300 of what I could have gotten for the trade if I had sold it myself. He made the dealer holdback and about $500 or more on my trade. Even though I did not use the ABT dealer, he had just as much opportunity to get my business as the dealer I finally bought from. I liked the service because it gave me a starting good price to start shopping with.

Fast forward to 2002. I am trying to help a friend get a new SUV. ABT, dealer quick quotes and other buyer services stink. Plus the selection is awful. He has very specific options he wants and does not want and has narrowed down to 3 makes and models. We cannot find a vehicle he wants on a lot. And every dealer we speak to says they cannot order the vehicle the way he wants it even tough the brochures and websites say you can. He is looking real closely at Highlander and a QX4. All of the online services that we have tried to use will not send back an email quote for a vehicle. I have got like 2 out of about 20. They all want to call you or have you come down. I have been very specific about the options and colors I want on the vehicle, no need for "clarification". If you do not have the vehicle, quote me a price if you were to order it.

This is my take on ABT and other online buying services. In the early 90's it was a novel thing to research cars on the internet and know invoice prices. Dealers wanted buyers sent to them that were ready to buy so they paid these services for leads. Now almost everyone uses the net or has a friend to use the net to get the invoice price and know about holdback and dealer incentives. The dealers are being squeezed on profit and they are fighting back. Carsdirect.com is a joke. My mom wouldn't buy a car for their prices. And now so many dealers have websites and use sevices like ABT they actually do not want the internet shopper, because they are the ones who are usally going to try to get every penny out of a deal. ABT does not guarantee invoice pricing anymore. I think these services are mostly fronted by the dealers and the dealers have said quit telling everyone that they can get my car at invoice plus my incentives.

Note to dealers, quite trying to make up profit with ridiculus doc and ad fees. When I buy any other retail product I do not have to pay a seperate fee for someone to order the product and another fee for the stockboy. They are all included in the price of the product. Advertising and processing paperwork is an associated cost for selling cars. They are the cost of doing business. Include them in your price period, not as extras or add ons. And advertising costs are inherent in any business, yet only car dealers seperate out this cost, like no one else pays for it in retail.

My ABT experience did give me some sympathy for car dealers though. I learned that the dealer mark up is not near as high as I thought it was. The manufacturer mark up is what is killing the consumer. I heard a report a few years back that every Crown Vic that Ford sold through a dealer at $20,000 cost Ford $10,000 to produce. Assuming that is an average, thats a lot of mark up to dealers and ultimately the buyer. If anyone can tell me how to get at that money...whhooee.
    IT's easy! Just call your stockbroker and buy some Ford stock!

BTW...Autobytel has NEVER "guaranteed" invoice pricing! Holdback is not profit either!
    It has been along time ago. The brochure may not have said "guaranteed", however it used a sentence similar to "buy vehicles at dealer invoice prices". It definately left the impression that if you bought through their service that you would get a vehicle price quote at dealer invoice prices, and I did.

I understand that holdback is not direct dealer profit and is used by the manufacturer to assist the dealer with inventory costs, however follow this scenario and please explain to me what I am missing. I know from other posts in TH that Toyota includes a line for holdback on their dealer invoices. Excluding any other charges lets say my vehicle I want to buy is invoice $20,000 and $1,000 holdback. I agree to the printed invoice from the dealer and he agrees to sell me the vehicle at the price on his Toyota dealer invoice. $20,000 plus $1,000 plus other fees on invoice. Total is $21,000 plus other fees. The dealer has paid to the manufacturer exactly what the dealer invoice says, for the vehicle, $20,000 plus $1,000 plus fees. Now a month later the dealer gets a check from Toyota for the $1,000 holdback. I have spent $21,000 with the dealer. The dealer has $22,000 now. Now I understand that the dealer has daily operating costs, but it sure looks like the dealer pocketed an extra $1000 from somewhere, mainly me. He got me to pay for his forced savings plan with the manufacturer. I understand that operating expense and profit are two different things, but lets say after averaging it all out that he sold me my vehicle two days after it arrived on his lot and it only cost him $100 to floorplan it. Then the extra $900 is profit. Please do not beat me up on this. I am not a car salesman and never have been. I am just trying to understand the sales side of it and explain a little of the way the consumer sees it. Thanks to all.
    there are a lot of cars that sit on lots for more than 90 days. The holdback from the quick turners helps prop up the slow ones.

Ed
    Will a consumer get a better deal on a car just off the truck because the dealer gets almost all of the holdback or one that has been on the lot for 90+ days because the dealer is trying to move it?

Has any dealer ever tried this and do you guys think it is a good idea. Open a dealership and have just a few vehicles of each model for customers to test drive and see. Then they can order the vehicle exactly like they want for a flat amount over invoice, say $500. The customer would have to sign a contract that they will definately buy the vehicle when it arrives. The dealer makes the small front end profit and has no floorplan fee and pockets all of the holdback. The customer gets the exact options and color they want. I understand that this would not work well for models that take months to arrive but for domestic makes that could be shipped in a month it might work. I have found it very difficult to get the exact options and colors of cars that I have looked for in the past.
    because of the holdback, see the post above. The oldest car on the lot has the most push to sell it. I actually sold a Frontier today $300 below net, because it was the oldest new one on the lot.

As to your idea of ordering cars, I don't think it will float. Most buyers are "impulse" sales. When they have finally made up their mind that they're going to buy a car, they're going to look around until they find the closest thing that is to their ideal and they're going to buy it, even if it costs more than waiting 4 months. Note that I said "MOST." There are folks who order cars, and wait, but they are probably only 1% of the buying public, or less.

Another thing that you're missing is that most of the "Japanese" cars come from the States.

Many of the "American" cars are made in Mexico or Canada. They build Camrys closer to me than they build Suburbans. Weird, huh. The pipeline for a Japanese built vehicle is about 4 months long, very few people have that kind of patience. A US built car is about 4-6 weeks.

I have no experience/clue about German or Swedish built cars.

Ed
    I understand what you are saying about "impulse" buyers. I am sure you are correct about your numbers, but I think this may be a symptom of the system. People see all the cars on dealer lots and just buy that way because they do not know any better, and thats the way they have always done it. Plus dealers are trying to sell the cars on their lots. When I have looked at vehicles, the salesman has never offered to order me a vehicle, he always trys to get me to buy off of his lot. I am very particular about color and options on my vehicles, just wanted to see you guys take on what you see everyday from customers. I wonder if there were such an alternative store for ordering vehicles how the public would react. I agree it would definately start as a niche market.
    local "big guy" dealers will undercut your prices until the customer becomes color and option blind, until you go out of business.

Ed
    Just have a few around to show and drive?

Let's see, Ford F-150, 3 engines, 2 transmissions, all in either 2wd or 4wd, 3 different body styles, 5 different wheelbases, 3-4 different trim levels for each body, 4 axle choices, 4 diferent tire sizes, ten colors, 9 different interiors - each in 2 or 3 colors, etc., etc.

Nahhh, I doubt that would work.
  • im_brentwoodim_brentwood Member Posts: 4,883
    In relation to ad fees..they are invisible on the MSRP, but do show on the invoices. They are charged to the dealer by the manufacturer to cover the manufacturer's regional advertising costs.

As far as Toyota Invoices... if you look at the base invoice of a Camry, say, $20,000 on edmunds.com for example, the real invoice may show: Camry $19,200, + Holdback $800.

So actual Toyota invoices just break it down. The "total invoice" is what the dealer is billed for the car once it is shipped fromthe factory.

Hope this helps!

Bill
  • seerongoseerongo Member Posts: 1
    I'm a new member, thanks for a very interesting forum. Question:
    When using a alternative buying method like ABT, how can you test drive the specific vehicle you are buying to be sure it is satisfactory, everything works, etc? Is it acceptable to make the sale contingent on a satisfactory inspection before closing? On a related note, if I find a problem, I expect the dealer to fix it before closing, not have to have it fixed on warranty after the sale. Typically, it seems dealers don't want to do it that way, but it seems reasonable to me. I would want this to be a contingency of sale. If I buy this way, as I probably will, I will consider the offer serious, but I would want a way out if it's not satisfactory in some way, since it is basically sight unseen. I can see a potential problem if, for example, the car shimmies or pulls or just doesn't drive right, the dealer could disagree that it's a real problem. There can be reasonable disagreements on subtle problems, too. Getting dealers to do legitimate warranty work can be a more miserable experience that the sales experience sometimes is. But I guess that's probably another forum. If not, I'm starting one!
    Ron
    Thanks for the info.
    always base all sales upon a satisfactory test drive/inspection of the vehicle once it arrives. If there's anything wrong, we either get it fixed to the customer's satisfaction, or they aren't obligated to take the vehicle.

Ed
    I have no idea how Toyota does things.

I guess, as a person who used to buy a new car every three years or so, I looked at the process differently than others.

I didn't care about holdbacks or about how much profit the dealer might be making. I looked at the *value* of the car to me. If I felt comfortable with the salesperson and the dealership and I felt the price was acceptable, I bought the car. If the salesperson was a sleaseball or I was high pressured I would simply leave.

To me, price wasn't the main consideration.

I guess I figured that if I spent an extra two hundred dollars but had a good experience, I was happy.

But, we are all different.
  • kevin111kevin111 Member Posts: 991
    I just bought a car, and used both autobytel and cars.com

Autobytel gives you one dealer and one quote. Was great on a car I was looking at (RSX) and would have given me the cheapest price I could find on the Type-S, was poor on other models that were available (Maxima and WRX).

Went to Car.com, and they allowed me to select 3 dealers in their registry. From there, I was able to get a great price, and bid the three dealers (and the one by me) against each other on the phone. Bought the car for $300 above invoice with the options I wanted.