Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Mazda MPV

Comments

• steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    "the MPV is at once elegant and sporty, practical and plenty fast. And it's jam packed with features you'll love -- and need."

Pittsburgh Post-Gazette Car Review Column

Steve
    Host
    SUVs, Vans and Aftermarket & Accessories Message Boards
    If you decide to jump ship, Subaru has your color:

kohall "Subaru Forester" May 3, 2002 7:01pm

Steve
    Host
  • warankwarank Member Posts: 5
    I bought Mazda MPV on 04/08/2002 , Will I get the 1000 USD rebate,I am going to talk to the dealer tommorrow. Is the rebate is there in CA
  • once_for_allonce_for_all Member Posts: 1,640
    I had to order a van in order to get the 4 seasons package here in California without the roof rack. Some dealers here seem to order more base LX models, and others go for the loaded versions. Most of the loaded versions have 4 seasons, and almost all come with roof racks here (both LX and ES)...

One thing--4 seasons package includes rear heat---you can't get rear heat aftermarket.
  • prlamzprlamz Member Posts: 78
    Our LX came without sunroof and with 4 season package. We had to wait a couple of weeks for it, no more. We're in California. This was our first ever new car purchase; my advice to you is, if you want it, get it; a few weeks of wait beats years of regrets.
  • javadocjavadoc Member Posts: 1,167
    That's too funny! I'm sure it'll be a really cool color w/ lots of character, lol. Too bad I don't like Subarus (awaits the bolt o'lightning...), uh, not that there's anything wrong w/that.

/j
  • dronatordronator Member Posts: 3
    Hi all. I've been reading these posts for awhile but this is my first time posting. Let me explain my situation and see what you suggest. My wife and I have two children (2 1/2 and 3 mos.). My wife drives a 96 Lumina right now but it's kind of a tight squeeze at times to get the kids in and out and my 89 Accord may not make it too much longer. Anyway, we're looking for a minivan and I've narrowed it down to MPV, Odyssey, and Venture. I personally like the MPV the best (hence posting it in this forum) but my only concern is whether it will be spacious enough for our family as the kids grow up. My wife will be driving around town but she would like to keep a stroller in the back and have room for groceries, etc. Is there anyone in a similar circumstance who has used the vehicle as a family mover. Is it sufficient? Thanks in advance and I apologize if I've rambled on too much.
    Maybe you can buy a can of that "Java Black Pearl" from the Soob dealer and paint the doghouse or something :-)

Steve
    Host
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Our MPV has plenty of room for our family of 4(9&5 years). The Venture seems to have less room than the MPV, and a questionable safety rating. The Ody is the largest van of the 3 you mentioned. I just couldn't buy a van that handles like a truck and costs substantially more than the MPV. If you Wife is accustom to driving a sedan, the MPV will be the best choice.

If you are considering a third child in the near future, I would recommend a Sienna since it has a split fold down third row. The Ody and MPV limit your cargo capacity with 3 kids on board, since the 3rd row doesn't split.

JMO, good luck!

Pjd58
  • dulnevdulnev Member Posts: 652
    Forgive me, but it sounds like a silly question. A good sized 4-door sedan is big enough for a family of 4. So of course ANY minivan is going to be big enough. As someone else mentioned, the question only becomes valid if you have 5 or more people or have dogs. The MPV is a perfect vehicle for a family of 4. Ody is going to be way too big and Venture is just not a good vehicle to be seriously considered, if one is contemplating Odyssey and the MPV.
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    But must be very quiet, Ole Blue, Coastal that is, is sleeping in our garage. You know how stressfull those first nights away from home can be--LOL. What a Sat.!!

First drove the 7-year old, 136K, 95 Quest across the border (into PA) for the last time and ordered our new Homecrest patio table, chairs, and glidder for the Mrs. :)

Rushed back across the border, dropped the golden retriever off at home, and drove 50 miles to meet a new friend who's been waiting for us since Monday. You guessed it, a 2002 MPV LX.

The 50 mile trip back home was a JOY! The MPV drove awesome. Very quite, low wind noise (no rack). Funny, the dealer tried to convince me I needed a rack, or at the least, a spoiler. Now that she has seen two MPVs without racks, she thinks they look more sporty without them. That's what I thought--SOUL of a sports car!!

One problem, how do I keep members of the phylum arthropoda from suicidally jumping, err, flying into the front of the MPV---LOL---spent a good 30 minutes cleaning off the front bumper and lower hood.

Any way, I must say a special thanks is due all the great people who make up this forum. I have leaned so much in the short time I have been with you. Well, I need a another Mich. Light and the little one needs a kiss goodnight--not Ole Blue--our 8 yr. old.

OldStyle
  • evaddaveevaddave Member Posts: 156
    I think the only thing you can do is slow down. That's just really tough to do with all that zoom-zoom in the van's soul. :)
  • dronatordronator Member Posts: 3
    Thanks for the advice. We are possibly planning on a 3rd child, but not for another 2-3 years. I hadn't thought about the Sienna but maybe we'll look into it. I've just been reading about the sludge on their engines and it's made me a little hesitant. I appreciate everyone's comments and feedback on the issue. I apologize if the question seemed silly. I know that a minivan will give us more storage than a sedan. Perhaps I should have asked whether the MPV would give enough room *compared* to other brands. Sorry for the confusion. I'll drop the Venture from the equation (the $3500 rebate was tempting) and throw the Sienna in. Thanks again!
  • geckokeepergeckokeeper Member Posts: 4
    I'am possibly looking to tow a boat with my 2000 MPV. Has any one here done any type of towing with there 2000+ MPV.
  • owr084owr084 Member Posts: 46
    I was just on the MazdaUSA.com website building my MPV for the umpteenth time and I noticed that they updated the options with a DVD Entertainment System for $1200 (MSRP). So, now the obvious questionss are: What is it? What are the specs? And when will it be available?

RBB
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Don't believe all you read or hear about the "sludge" issue on the Sienna. I have one and it runs fine. I also have an MPV - that's the one I love. It drives like a sports car but gives you a very nice ride for a van and has plenty of room (quick fold down rear seat - Sienna seats are heavy to remove).
    The Sienna is heavier and drives like it - although smooth. The MPV is much more manuverable, easier to park, and in my opinion, has as much room as the Sienna inside.
    Being an owner of both I can only say what ever matches your wants and likes. Take a drive in both on various roads - curves and freeway. That will tell you. I haven't had a problem with either one - but I wash & wax the MPV more... :))
  • lal_cltlal_clt Member Posts: 29
    The dealers in NC have been under the misconception that under law if doc fees are charged to one person, then they have to be charged to everyone. This idea apparently came from a meeting where a rep from the AG's office was misquoted or mis interpreted. Of course, we all know that this misconception is favorable to the dealers since they get to pocket the doc fees! The Attorney General's office specifically stated to me that if the s-plan rules prohibit doc fees, then they are not to be charged. I have the e-mail from them to prove it.
    I don't think the govt is regulating prices but simply stating that there is no rule that says doc fees must be charged to everyone.
  • wkb4447wkb4447 Member Posts: 14
    I wonder why critics don't rate the MPV higher than they do. Is it because it's a Ford?
  • sritrovatosritrovato Member Posts: 20
    Is there any way to "document" that there is dealer cash available on MPVs? I know this isn't published information, and am trying to figure out the best way to approach dealers on this issue. Thanks.
    We "publish" dealer cash, but we don't show any for the MPV. Guess you're gonna have to drag Doublel9 and Bean3422 along to the dealer as your first basemen :-)

Incentives and Rebates (when we show dealer cash, TMV is adjusted to account for it).

Steve
    Host
    Mazda MPV minivan is nimble with great accommodations

Steve
    Host
  • big_guybig_guy Member Posts: 372
    Critics have been raving about the Escape and the Focus and both of those are Ford vehicles. (By the way, just because the MPV has a Ford Duratec engine in it and Ford has a 30% share ownership in Mazda does not make the MPV a Ford vehicle.) I think critics don't rave about the MPV because american critics think that in order to have a "great minivan", it has to be big enough to seat seven 250 lb men and have enough cargo room to carry their luggage and tow a 3500 lb trailer (and accelerate up a 30 degree incline to boot). If it isn't big enough to fit a 4'x8' sheet of plywood flat in the cargo area it just isn't good enough. The american mentality is bigger and more power = better vehicle. I personally prefer the smaller size of the MPV to the Ody. Don't get me wrong, the ODY is a great minivan . . . for those that need something that BIG. But not everyone needs a minivan as big as the ODY. Just my $.02
  • bean3422bean3422 Member Posts: 183
    Well, no car buying experience is perfect, but we at least have a 2002 Coastal Blue ES parked in our garage. Love it!

Here’s the story:

Sales guy told us that the van would be in by 11:00 am Friday, and we agreed to pick it up at 2:00 PM. Well, we were late, showed up at 3:00 PM, no van. The sales guy was no where to be found, and the sales manager said that the van was being picked up (another dealer) right now. Said to come back in an hour…well being suspicious in nature, we went the mall and hung out until 5:00 at which time we called back. Talked to a different sales guy, (the original had the day off), and he said it had just come in, they were washing it.

We got there in about 10 minutes, wanted to see the van, noticed no spoiler. Of course, we mentioned it…he said the other dealer had basically lied to them about the miles, and the van with the spoiler was a demo with 2500 miles on it, so he picked up this other one, which was identical except the spoiler. We are like, OK, what are you going to do about it, here is our buyer’s order “with spoiler”. He said they are going to order one, and install it in a few days. That was fine with me, until he tried to change my deal and charge $75.00 for labor to install the spoiler. My wife about went through the roof…we were like sorry buddy, but here’s is the signed deal for a Coastal Blue ES with Spoiler, so that is the price we are paying. Fortunately, he gave in pretty easily.

So, we are spoilerless for a few days, but very happy. We have a 2002 Coastal Blue ES with Roof Rack, fog lamps, 4-seasons, cargo mat, rear bumper step plate, and (soon) rear spoiler. We paid $25, 945 including Destination charge…not including Tax, title, etc.

Has about 200 miles on it this weekend… (Dealer was about 45 miles away). So far, everything is as I expected. Drives great…but as reported on this list, the wife is extremely possessive…the rules have already been set. I don’t get to drive it (except when it needs maintenance) unless she is in the car with me. (Ha…very nervous ha).

See you guys and gals…
    Just go to your dealer and ask them to look up the $1000.00 dealer incentive on the 2002 MPV. They can look it up right in their computer. If they give you the run around, and say that it can't be found, just go to another dealer. It is there...

Please remember that they do not have to give you a break...it is technically their money. There is no reason that you shouldn't get most of it. You have to be ready to walk out...I've heard taking a fussy child or crying baby helps too!!

Most places a good deal would be $100-$400 over invoice, then subtract the incentive. Just tell the sales guy that you will give him a perfect score on his review from Mazda. That gets them everytime.
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    Great assessment of the American car-buying mentality - LOL! I think you pretty much nailed it ... won't be long before we all need a CDL Class A to drive a minivan!
    Wtg! I'm glad you and the d.w. stuck to your guns. It started to sound like a bait-n-switch except the dealer was possibly just trying to make good for you b/c of the other dealer.

Glad you're excited about your coastal blue ES!

/j
  • marcbmarcb Member Posts: 152
    we're at the top 10 hot discussion in townhall. just hope that doesn't mean edmunds website is going bonkers again.
    Yeah...except for telling me the wrong time to pick up the car (and the consequent 45 mile drive to pick up wife/kids, 45 mile drive back to dealer, waste 3 hours at mall, etc), the dealer I worked with has been great. It was the other dealer who wasn't up front. I don't blame my dealer, but a deal is a deal, and if they weren't sure that the van might be right, then they should have waited until the van showed up to make the deal. (Of course, a customer in hand is better than one that has left.) Anyway, I have a signed buyer order that list the options and the arranged price, so I don't feel too bad that they have to eat a little labor cost. I will make sure that the dealer and salesperson get the best rating in Mazda's after sales survey.
  • audia8qaudia8q Member Posts: 3,138
    I think two issues have been confuesed here.

1. What are the manufactureres rules concerning the s-plan.

2. what does the AG's office have ability to dictate and what they do not.

The s-plan along with the DOC fee is part of the selling price of the car. Unless this turned into communist china no AG or any other government agency can not dictate selling price.

They can clarify laws concerning charging one person a fee and not another. (discrimination) Some states require everyone to be charged or nobody to be charged the DOC fees. This has nothing to do with the S-plan whatsoever.
    This type of selective pricing can be looked at as discrimination. With all the dime store lawyers out there looking to sue somebody...a cardealer who let somebody slide on a DOC fee seems like a great target.
    Super. I hope you are still enamoured with the van after 3yrs, as we are.

/j *4days 21hrs 56mins 13secs
  • allenallen Member Posts: 4
    "carbon fiber dash"
    "beige/black leather"
    seen in online dealer inventory lists but not in real life.
    what are they?
    they seem to appear on more recently mfr'd vehicles, based on the VIN.
  • maltbmaltb Member Posts: 3,572
    I would hope that it is a pretty light boat that you want to tow. I think without the 4-seasons package you are limited to 2000lbs, and with it you can pull up to 3000lbs.

I have pulled about 1500lbs. with mine and it does great.
  • bsvollerbsvoller Member Posts: 528
    (...where's our search function already...?)

I'm not an owner yet, but I have been shopping and I have a tow use planned as well, so I actually read the owner's manual for an '02 at a dealer near me to make sure the MPV was up to the task... :)

Here's the numbers as I recall them:

Max tow capacity
    2000 w/o 4 seasons; 3000 with

Max tongue load
    200 w/o weight distributing hitch; 300 with

Max combined vehicle weight
    7824 with 4 seasons (don't recall w/o, but guessing 6824)

Trailer brakes required above 1000.

Maximum cargo load in the van 1200. (under any circumstances).

Overdrive is not recommended for "heavy loads", whatever that means. I would (will) avoid it.

Given that the curb weight is about 3800, this means that with 4 seasons, you can pull a 3000 trailer if you use a weight distributing hitch and have no more than 700 #'s or so in the van. (7800 - 3800 - 3000 - 300 = 700).

Bear in mind that the weight distributing hitch is heavy, so it's really a bit less than 700. Since safe towing requires about 10% of the trailer weight to be on the tongue for stability, you really have to go with the distributing hitch. With FWD, it's a good idea anyway.

Without 4 seasons, assuming that I have the max combined load right, you'd have about 800 pounds available for cargo in the van, mostly because the tongue weight is reduced.
    (6800 - 3800 - 2000 - 200 = 800).

To my knowledge, these ratings haven't changed with the new model year and the new drivetrain, but if you have an '01 or '00, you might want to double-check.

By the way, I was pleased with this much residual cargo carrying capacity. Most vans are rated at 3500 lbs, but limit you to just 200 lbs of "other cargo" at the limit - which is to say, I would be driving alone ! Just marketing spin if you ask me...

hth

-bv
  • diad98diad98 Member Posts: 5
    just bought my shimmering sand mpv es 5/4/2002
    if u go to www.carsdirect.com & check out the price, u will find out $1000 incentive (if not, try my area code 95129), but when i called the dealers, they said u can take either 0% financing or $1000 cash back
    but not both. i tried 3 diff dealers (burlingame, fremont & almaden) for the same story.
    I ended up w/ my almaden dealer for ES+fog light+roof rack+bumper plate+spoiler+cargo net+destination charge=$25950 pre-tax, title, etc with 5ml on odometer and the color we like.
    if someone finds out u can get both, plz let me know my dealer is lying.
    Manufacturers almost always restrict buyers to either cash back or APR; hardly ever see that deal "combined". (Note that "cash back" is usually different than "dealer cash", but it's probably the same end result).

Steve
    Host
  • oldstyleoldstyle Member Posts: 41
    Bean: Ya, same here about the MPV being the wifes ride. Like you, I will be driving our coastal blue LX only at maintenance time, but then I get to take it to work, 52 miles one-way, then 20 miles to the dealer afterwork, he, he, he. We drove both cars to a party Sunday, and on the way home, I followed, and when we got home I told her that's the fastest I have every seen you drive in town, she turned, smiled and said, "zoom, zoom." It was also cool to see the kids with the windows rolled down waving their hands at me...can't do that in any other minivan....yet.

daid98: cool, we also got our MPV on 5-4. CONGRATS!!

Reagrds,

OldStyle
  • kkcymrukkcymru Member Posts: 48
    But which option package do you choose to get "three point belts for all passengers?"
  • sandesdriversandesdriver Member Posts: 15
    Has anybody replaced their original equipment Dunlops or Yokohamas with normal passenger/touring/all season tires? If so, what has been your experience?

I'm looking at Yokohama AVID Touring (94S 620 A B)which have been getting rave reviews on the internet. Has anybody tried these specifically?
  • doublel9doublel9 Member Posts: 9
    My story on the 1K juggernaut will be published, in full, on 5/9/02. This is the day after I pick up my new Sage Green ES. Before then, I don't want to cause any more commotion or bad karma at the incredibly unfriendly and uncooperative dealer that has my untitled, unsold (but deposit held) green baby sitting on their lot as I write.

The abridged version is to get an e-mail or fax sent to you from a competing dealer acknowledging the incentive and their desire to give you all or most of it if you buy an MPV from them -- as I didn't. Buy from them, that is, but the e-mail did the trick.

Go get that incentive! It's your money regardless of the semantic quibbling on dealer/customer cash.

I can confirm that it is either/or with the 0% or the 1K. But, remember, if you can afford to buy the van outright, you CANNOT come out ahead using the 0% in this dismal, dreary 1930's-level investing environment. Buy it outright, pay -1000 to -700 over invoice and you got yourself a deal.
  • crissmancrissman Member Posts: 145
    I replaced the original Dunlops after 35K with Michelin X-Ones and have been quite pleased. They may be a bit noisier (or not), but I bet they will last twice as long and give better wet handling and puncture resistance. In normal driving they seem to handle just as well as the Dunlops.
  • sritrovatosritrovato Member Posts: 20
    I appreciate the clarification! Unfortunately I have to finance a portion of this purchase. The deal I have on the table is for invoice + 300. Since rates matter to me, I'm wondering if anyone has an opinion as to whether this is about as good as it's going to get...or if I should work on getting the extra cash and take the best rate I can find on my own??? BTW, there is one local dealer who is advertising sales @ invoice, but I don't know if that is in combination with the Mazda incentive rates. I'm not in a hurry, but I sure would prefer to be zooming sooner rather than later.
    It depends...if you can afford a payment at 0% for 24 months, then go for it. I was going to have to use the 5.9% at 60 months, but I got the same exact rate at my credit union. Plus, when I went back to the dealer, the finance guy said he could have gotten me 5.5% from another source (not mazda). (I also got a 500 rebate from my credit union for taking out the loan, so the lower interest was a wash.) If you are looking for a 60 month loan, you can definitely get <=5.9% that Mazda is offering. Maybe even by going right through the dealer. So I would take $1000.00 off of your $300 over invoice deal and find other financing. (If your credit is good of course!) If the dealer has already offered $300 over invoice, then just go and and say take the dealer incentive off of the offer and he has a deal. (Check for alternate financing first!)
  • diad98diad98 Member Posts: 5
    1. take $1000 cask back (u still need to pay tax for this portion)
    2. finace w/ the dealer or ur credit union for $500 rebate of the auto loan (make sure there is no prepayment penalty)
    3. pay full in the next financing due day.

now u get $1500 cash back in total

prerequirement:
    You have enough cash to cover the purchase.
  • doublel9doublel9 Member Posts: 9
    I'm certain that most of you MPV jocks can tell this newbie exactly what day did '02 MPV's become available for purchase?

I read they were "delayed" but would require accurate dating so as to figure true depreciation and resale value when that time comes many moons from now.

Thanks
  • kczmudzinkczmudzin Member Posts: 39
    I just sent my third payment. I picked up mine 2002 LX on 2/8.
    It depends on where you are. Local dealers here didn't get their 2002s till early April. I believe the official launch was 1/18 or there abouts.

/j
  • pjd58pjd58 Member Posts: 366
    Good job all, squeeze every dollar you can from your dealers. When we bought our 01LX last year, you could get 1000+ below invoice without even trying. We love our 01 and are very happy with the 2.5 engine, our area is flat as a board. I can understand some wanting to wait for the 02. But you can't beat a 01LX with Security Pkg, 4 Seasons, Rear Air, 6CD changer, Roofrack and Step Plate for $21,950.

Pjd58
  • bob57bob57 Member Posts: 302
    Sitting at a stoplight this AM - white MPV to my left and blue one two cars back.
    Bummer - in '01 I was unique.
    Sniff...
    Yeah, I'm seeing more and more on the road, which is great except for the wanting to be unique angle. I actually see more MPVs on the roads here than Odys and Siennas.

Ahhhhhhh, got to drive the van yesterday b/c it was a service day. What fun to toss the thing around. The d.w. was 'relegated' to be coddled in the fine, ultra comfy leather seats (that s/b in all cars), 12speaker stereo and 298bhp in the sedan... and she STILL would rather drive the MPV. In fact, she switched cars w/me as soon as the van was out of the service bay, though she loves to mash the gas on the car and feel the rush. The warranty clock is ticking on ol' Mochavan... tick, tock, tick, tock... time for an '02 me thinks.

/j
  • beachnutbeachnut Member Posts: 291
    ...he said they got their first '02s at the beginning of Feb. He didn't have any '01s. When I bought my MPV in Sept., there had to be about 30 '01s on the lot. What's strange is that I've noticed more MPVs running around town lately (I hear ya Bob), but I've yet to see an '02 on the road. They must've been doing some great deals on those remaining '01s!

SC