Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• rav4driverrav4driver Member Posts: 38
    My 2004 RAV4 4WD averages about 23 mpg (I have about 2000 miles on it). A FWD one driving in sunny CA should do better.

Given that you will be test-driving a RAV4 soon and that you have a "bigger" family than mine, I would recommend that you also take a look at the 2004 2.4L FWD Highlander (base model); it is priced similarly to a loaded RAV4 4WD. The mpg is 22/27, the same as my 4WD auto RAV4.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    It is obvious that your dealer is bad. I thought everyone new that cold AND dry conditions produce the rattle, and the fact that they are saying "can't reproduce" is really lame. I THINK that they do make money on this repair (Toyota pays them), so take it back and demand that they do it right. Have them call the Tech line, if necessary, and make sure it is cold and dry when they test it. If you don't want to do this, then try a different dealer. This isn't a tough problem to fix. You might want to call Toyota about this dealer. That will get their attention.
    Thanks for the advise.

I called the Toyota service line and asked for help. They are going to open a case on my issue (Thanks Toyota).

The rattle was so obvious this morning (10F~14F sunny) that I kept asking myself on my way to work why the dealer could not reproduce the problem?!

I'll try to tape the rattle, let them hear it, and see what the dealer says.
    Since my dealer had done the "rattle fix" on my car once, I could not switch to a different dealer now, even if the work is under warranty.

Next time when I buy a new car I'll take the service inssue into consideration, not just the price.

Dealing with this dealer to get the rattle fixed is a major headache for me now. :-(
  • 325irav4325irav4 Member Posts: 15
    I have a 2004 RAV4 that has been rattling since October on cold, dry days. The dealer tried to fix it 3 times with no luck until last week when Toyota tech in Cincinnati recommended the fix that worked. The black plastic cowl has a softer plastic edge sealing against the windshield. When it is cold it hardens and contracts enough to rattle against the windshield. Rain seems to lubricate it and prevent rattling also. This has nothing to do with the TSBs from 2001 and later relating to the windshield clips and adding felt pads. Toyota had the dealer install "Toyota anti-squeak tape" (no kidding) and it worked. They removed the black cowl after marking the cowl location on the windshield with crayon. They then applied the clear tape to the windshield so that the cowl edge now rides on the tape. They adhered the top edge of the tape about 1/8 to 1/4 inch up from the plastic so that it would be sure to always contact tape rather than glass. Apparently the tape is slick so the plastic can slide even when cold. Don't let the dealers insist on duplicating the rattle since it won't help them solve it even if it is very loud. On a previous attempt to fix it the tech rode with me with an acoustic probe and headphones but it didn't help. He could tell it was at the windshield edge and not the dash but that didn't lead to the fix. The Toyota tech in Cincy said they had recommended this for several '04 RAV4s and it seemed to work for all. My rattle was terrible and now after a week between zero and 25 degrees F and several hundred miles it is absolutely silent all the time. It was hard to appreciate what a great vehicle this is until the rattle was gone. I've never driven an earlier RAV4 but this one has plenty of power and the best handling of any SUV I've driven. It also handles great in the snow. Good Luck.
  • m4ethm4eth Member Posts: 101
    Tape to fix a rattle...wow!!! I wonder how long this tape will last??? Most likely 5 years but for the long term may need to be redone.

I would also think that shaving the edge of the plastic cowl to increase the gap between the windshield and the cowl would also be a solution...it seems that in time the tape would get hard and may start to separate from the windshield and the problem could re-surface????

Mike
    Can someone tell me any experiences they have had in getting damage repaired in the aft of the vehicle because of collision with another vehicle?

I hear that the RAV does not have a bumper...would installing a trailer hitch help reduce damage to the rear of this vehicle?

Mike
    Thanks for the great news. I am so glad to learn that there is a fix for this annoying issue.

I'll tell my dealer on Monday.

You really made my day! :-)
    I hope I will not ever have the rear end damage. :)

It's true that by design the RAV4's rear is not protected by a bumper (a spare tire is there).

As long as my car insurance is reasonable and I back it up carefully, I am not too worry about this issue.

The 2004 RAV4 is so "fun" to drive that I am starting to worry about getting a speeding ticket. :)
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    ...just enjoy the '04 RAV as it is fun to drive!! Don't worry about potential rear end damage, that's what insurance is for. :>))
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Hey, tape can fix lots of stuff!

Seriously, lots of the body side moldings are held on with adhesive tape these days and plenty of front end bras and other accessories get taped on and last the life of the car.

Steve, Host
  • dcdoctordcdoctor Member Posts: 1
    I am planning on buying a 2004 RAV4. I live in Washington, DC, we get some snow but not a lot. How does the 2WD(front wheel drive)RAV4 do in snow on paved streets. I like the fact that the two wheel drive is cheaper and gets better gas mileage, but I obviously do not want to get stuck. If it is any help-I currently have a '97 Honda Civic front wheel drive, and I have never once had a problem with the road conditions here in snow/ice.

Thanks for any help.
    dcdoctor - FWD should be OK for you in DC as long as you put on snow tires, preferably all 4 wheels. If you have been getting around OK so far w FWD only, you s/be OK w a FWD RAV4. Where I am in Western Canada, the 4WD is preferable but we get a lot more snow (I assume). We can't even get a FWD RAV in Canada, all are 4WD. Enjoy your RAV - the new '04 is great w the new engine.
  • toyotafan71toyotafan71 Member Posts: 5
    325iRAV4: Could you E-Mail me with the Dealers name in Cinncinati so I could get some info on the tape that they used on your windshield? I have a 2004 RAV that has been rattling since I picked it up in October also - dealers in Mass are useless. I actually called the 3 Cinncinati dealers and they had no idea what I was talking about as far as "anti-squeak tape" PLEASE HELP!!!
  • cobblestonecobblestone Member Posts: 7
    Just sharing with you fine folks my experiences taking our new RAV4 4wd 5spd on its first road trip. From the coast to the mountains and back, over 550 miles, I averaged right at 23 mpg. As for the conditions, yesterday we returned in hard snow, sleet and mushy roads....the 4wd did its job well; the 5spd gives an added measure of control, be it psychological or practical. The contributor from Washington should consider the 4wd for the conditions they get up there. The real surprise of the trip was that despite snow, blowing wind and sleet, and 26 degree temps AND bumpy mountain roads, the dash rattle monster failed to raise his ugly head. Seems no rime or reason to mine....but please remember that some time ago, before I joined you all online, a very thoughtful contributor attached a step by step fix-it program with photos...go back quite a few pages and you should find it.
    Please let me know if any of you have found your CDs getting hot to the touch....when I eject at the end of the disc it is really warm...could this damage the discs? and yes I too noticed the difference in the CD volume and radio volume.
    Thanks, and safe traveling!
    if your state has the Lemon law. Let the dearler fix it under warranty. A DIY fix will void the claim.
    325iRAV4:

Please provide more info.

Is there a part number for the "Toyota anti-squeak tape"?

When did the dealer fix your rattle using the tape?

Thanks for sharing the info.
    rav4driver, toyotafan71 and others with the dreaded cowl rattle: I just called my dealer for some clarification on this fix. I'm in northern Ohio and they fixed my RAV4 on January 12. The fix did not come from another dealership but from Toyota Regional Technical Assistance (available only to dealers). They incorrectly originally told me that the advice was from the Cincinnati Region - now they say that it was actually the California Region. A Technical Service Bulletin is not yet issued - apparently it takes a while to do this officially. My dealer's Service Technician got telephone advise on how to do the fix from California. He went to an auto supply store and bought 3M anti-squeak tape - part number 06356. They pulled the "wiper cowl" and applied the tape (which is clear) to the windshield and then reinstalled the cowl. It works perfectly. My dealer's advice to you all is for you to call your dealership and ask them to talk to Toyota California Region technical assistance and refer to my case number (040080052). Good luck again.
    I am most grateful for your help, because my dealer ignored me completely (If they told me that a fix is not available now, then that will be a proper answer; we need more civility in the auto business!).
    Here is the info about the 3M tape.
    I will be going to the Auto Parts store tomorrow to see if they carry the 3M tape. rav4driver: Are you going to try and fix this yourself, or will you go to the dealer? What part of the country are you in?
    I have provided my dealer with all the info about how to fix the cowl rattle. But my dealer is still claiming that there is no problem. I plan to have the dearler fix it when they come to their senses(I really don't know much about fixing a car :).

I am observing how this dealer is going to handle this issure. This provides me with an opportunity to learn more about this particular dealer (central NJ).
    My Dealer in Dayton knew about the problem and the repair...However he did not mention teflon tape but mention a foam tape placed on the cowl.

Mike
    performed the rattle fix which pertains to the 2003 and earlier models. I feel that this dealer does not know about the fix for the 2004 RAV4.

As 325irav4 pointed out, this rattle is new for the 2004 RAV4. I am hoping a TSB will be issued for the 2004, so that I don't have to convince my dealer that there indeed is a problem.
    I think I figure out a simple way to reduce the cowl rattle of my 2004 RAV4. The key is the H20 molecules.

On my way to work this morning, the weather was cold (20F) and hazy. I used the windshield wipers to clean my windshield. As a result, the windshield cleaning fluid was spread around the base of the windshield. This kind of scared the rattle monster, and the moster nerver dared to distract me. :)

Please give it a try and see how it works.

P.S. This is also a possible way to mask the rattle, so dear dealer tech staff please don't try this on a customer's car. Thanks!!
    325iRAV4 - I was just curious if your rattle was still silent? Have you had DRY weather lately to test it out? Hopefully it is quiet - mine is driving me crazy! We have had cold, dry weather here in Boston for weeks, and I am beginning to question whether I can continue to drive it! Let me know how your is. Thanks!
    Does the rattle disappear when there is rain or snow? I am trying to see whether your rattle is the same as mine. The rattle on my car disappears on rain/snow days. It snowed yesterday here, but stopped today. The rattle disappeared this morning.
    The cowl rattle on my '01 (that is still silent after it was fixed by my dealer two years ago) would not occur when it was wet out. Just cold AND dry.
    By the way, with 35,000 miles, no other problems, other than the rattle and the brake noise, which were both corrected two years ago. The brake issue was NOT a safety issue, just noisy. There was a TSB out for '01 brakes, they just put on new pads I think. It is interesting to note that the Consumer Reports rating on the '01 is perfect except for two categories: brakes and integrity (something like that). It got these bad marks because of the noisy brakes and the cowl rattle.
    The Rav is great with all this snow and ice!!
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Yeah, I think that CR category is "body integrity", and I agree that the dash rattle would fall under that.

Me, I'm happy to say my '01 has always been rattle-free, except for ONE instance. Go figure.
    Thanks for the info. I think my rattle is a new kind for the 2004 model year.

I really like my 2004 RAV4. The brakes on it feel very confident and quiet.

Also the stability+traction control worked well. We had snow lately. The side of the some roads here still has ice on it. Yesterday morning, when I was making a right trun to get onto a two-lane road, the right wheels slipped because of the ice, so my car did not make a smooth turn; instead it was heading toward the oppoiste lane.

Then, the dashboard beeped (indicating the stability+traction control was working) and I felt the car was pulled back to the travelling lane.
    Temperature the last few days here between zero and 25. Rattle absolutely gone. Drove it yesterday on rough country roads about 40 miles (18 degrees and bone dry). Before the fix it only rattled when cold AND dry! I think the water lubes the contact between the cowl edge and the windshield glass. Has anyone gotten their dealer to follow up with Toyota in California? This was a quick fix - less than 2 hours. I repeat: this is not the old rattle which was fixed with foam tape in certain locations around the window. It's new for 2004 and is caused by the contact between the softer edge of the cowl (which gets hard when cold) all across the window contact.
    Yes, on my 2001, my dealer put foam tape in , but also they put something on the edge of the cowl across where the window makes contact - same as the 2004. Strange the same rattle is on 2004's.
  • autumrhythmautumrhythm Member Posts: 1
    Wow, I can't believe how many of you have the rattle in your Rav4! I thought I was going out of my mind. If this problem is so common, why hasn't toyota done anything to fix it? I have taken my Rav4 3 times to the dealer. Each time it seems to come back during cold weather. Now, (I live on Long Island and it has gotten very cold lately ) It has come back again and then gone away. Today I hear rattling again, I am just so frustrated and annoyed. I know its just a rattle, but come on!
    The one thing with the rattle I notice is that it starts on one part of the dash then it moves to another part of the dash. I was thinking of printing out complaints that other Rav4 owners have had and showing the toyota dealer them. Perhaps this would spark something in their minds to get this problem fixed. Luckly my dealership is very friendly and are now giving me a loaner car for the second time.
    mcdawgg:

Is this similar in function to the 3M tape?

Can one see the tape from the base of the windshield?

autumrhythm:

Read the messages posted by 325irrav, just a few before this one. There is a case number for your dealer to get more info about the fix.
    Autumnrhythm: My rattle is exactly what you are describing - comes in cold and dry weather - any water on the windshield makes it go away - seems to start in one spot and then spread as you drive. I have done the felt TSB on the clips - this is NOT the problem. It is as 325iRAV4 and others have said - it is the hard plastic edge of the cowl hardening and rattling against the glass. I have purchased 2 rolls of 3M squeak reduction tape (see previous post by 325iRAV4) and are going to do it myself in the next week or so - dealers will not spend the time and do not want to hear the rattle - a rattle to them is NOT a problem. I will let you know how I make out - unfortunately the solution may be to do this ourselves until Toyota officially issues a TSB on it. You can E-Mail me if you want any other information (click my username for E-Mail address) -John in Mass
    The result is melting snow water dripping down toward the base of the windshield, thus preventing the rattle.
  • QualityQuality Member Posts: 17
    Looking at the 04 Rav4. Not much to complain about except rattles as far as I can tell. No recalls or service bulletins for 03 or 04 according to Edmunds maintenance utility. Many new vehicles are scary, including the new Hondas. The Rav 4 seems to have escaped bad press so far. Any early brake pad wear (front) or other early warning signs or anomalies like special transmissions fluids to be concerned about? Or do I just go out and buy one and live happily ever after?
    ..I'm hoping you are correct "just buy one and live happily everafter". LOL. Mine is too new to help you with your questions above; but if the new RAV is as good as our '99 Solara SLE V6 coupe has been, it will be great. Here's hoping!!
  • myrav4toymyrav4toy Member Posts: 4
    Hi Rav4 owners it is nice to meet everyone. I am a new Rav4 owner for three weeks now, I have the '01 with only 10,000 miles on it, I live in NY on Long Island and to say the least the weather is a bid unpredictable, so far I have not heard any noises from my Rav but I am so glad I have been reading all your messages,thank you to everyone for all the information, I am not one to give up with a dealer if there is a problem and write to Toyota/California if need to also, I will be posting any information I may get so we all can be updated......looking forward to more readings...
  • bett1ebett1e Member Posts: 16
    I bought my Rav4 on January 3, 2004. I haven't heard any rattles but some posters at other boards have heard rattles even on the new models.

As for the Rav4 v. the CRV, I offer this opinion:

I test drove the Rav4 and the Honda CRV. I didn't purchase the CRV for these reasons: 1) all that exterior rubber is outdated, the interior was cheaper looking than the Rav4, and the seats were a horrible plaid.

I purchased the Rav4 for a number of reasons but the reason that I didn't know about but what makes me love the vehicle is, I can see the road. I am 5'3 and, in most vehicles, I can't tell where the road is in relationship to the car. In this vehicle, I feel like I am walking the road because the visiblity is so great with the design of the windshield and the height. I knew the Rav4 was for me because it was the only NEW car that didn't make me nervous during the test drive. I distinctly remember the Acura TL and the Honda Accord. The choices had been narrowed but the nervousness that I felt from not being able to quite see the road made me leery about purchasing those vehicles.

At the time of my purchase, I was driving a 1993 Cavalier. The vehicle was classified as a subcompact but for the 10 years I owned it I never could see anything because the front end was too long.

Anway, if you are a petite female who is 5'4 and under and you like to SEE the road, you will love the Rav4. The last two people I know to purchase the vehicle were 5'3 and under. Clearly, this is a vehicle designed for petite people.

Also, the vehicle is cute. If you are having a hard time deciding do this: when you are driving, look at the CRV that passes you. The first thing you will notice is the rubber. The second thing you will notice is the uncouth underbody. Imagine driving a vehicle that you know the design is antiquated from the minute you drive it off the lot.

Another consideration, the 2004 RAV4 is said to have more HP than the CR-V.

The RAV4 does have some mechanical issues from what I have read but the Honda Accord has way more issues if you listen to consumer reviews. No car is infallible, you just hope that your issues don't cost a arm and a leg and don't occur every other year.
    ___
    If anyone has any questions B4 their purchase, please feel free to email me at
    bett1e (the number one) at yahoo dot com
    the RAV4 and the CRV are virtually the same hp and torque (which is more important than hp), but the RAV is about 200# llghter so it could be a smidge quicker. I prefer the looks of the RAV4 over the CRV but would never have bought the RAV prior to 2004 and the new, larger engine.
    Why would you have not bought a RAV4 prior to 2004, just curious, there is not much difference in years, yes the 2004 has a larger motor which of course is great but to say you would not buy one prior I was just curious, I was shown the 2004 and a 2001 with very low mileage and ended up with the 2001, I have alot of the special features the 2004 has but saved $7,000--
    ..in the RAV4 before 2004 year was too noisy (busy) and underpowered at 148hp IMO. I dislike cars with anemic engines. The new 2.4L engine has 161 hp and is not as "busy" as the previous one. Also, the minor front end changes for 2004 are positive but, for me, it was mainly the engine. The new engine's torque is 165lb/ft @4000 rpm - much better than before and torque is really more important than hp. I was also considering a Subaru Forester XL with 210hp (turbo) but it was a lot more $ and required premium gas, so I went with the RAV (we already had a Toyota which has been a great car).
  • orangelebaronorangelebaron Member Posts: 435
    Don't forget... the pre-2004 RAV4 did not have 4 wheel disk brakes with ABS and traction control, the availability of side/side curtain airbags and not to mention a lit ignition key ring!
  • bett1ebett1e Member Posts: 16
    the Rav4 until the changes in 2004. I have features I never even thought about. I light the traction control, needed ABS (I just like it), the lighted ignition key, the nice interior, the bigger engine, etc.. I test drove the 2003 and didn't buy it so I was not impressed. I definitely was impressed with the 2004.

However, I have seen some of the older models and they look very similar to the 2004 (which I didn't know that) but I still am glad I waited.

As long as everyone is happy with their purchase, I think that's all that matters. :-)
    ..if everyone is happy with their purchase, that's all that matters. I am very happy with my '04 RAV - Spectra Blue Mica. Body-wise there is only minor differences between the '04 and the prievious ones but the biggy for me (as I said) is the 2.4L engine. I'm also very impressed with quietness of the RAV, given it is still a smaller vehicle. I was driving a Subie Impreza 2.5TS and the RAV is decidedly quieter. More like our '99 Solara SLE V6 coupe.
    Yes, I do agree the 2004 sounds great and knowing it is a Toyota everyone will be pleased, I only had to get a new vehicle due to a car accident and time was limited and $ too, I did look at the 2004 and did love them but I guess for my situation at the time the '01 was for me, and I love it so far.....I guess the 04 model can be compared to how they changed the Rav4 in 2001......glad all is happy, that is all that matters and be safe also.....
    Well, I purchased 2 rolls of 3M Squeak Reduction Tape, removed the windshield cowl, and placed the tape on the windshield under where the cowl touches the glass... little to no improvement. So I guess 325iRAV4 - you were lucky! Anyone else who has tried the 3M tape either at home or at a dealer, please let me know how you made out. Until then - I am beginning to look for a new car...
    Is your RAV4 a 2004 one?

I am fixing the rattle by splashing water on the windshield for now. It works for me. Give it a try.

The weather is getting better, above freezing lately. That helps too.
    is indeed very annoying. Every time the car rattles, it reminds me that I just spent $24K+ of my hard-earned money on a "defective" new car. Adding to the agony is the "could-not-reproduce-it" attitude of my dealer.

I wish I could get that kind service like the one reported in the previous message.

I have a feeling that Toyota does not take this issue as serious as the rattle of their new Lexus RX330, which had a TSB issued already.

The majority of the RAV4 owners may be younger and less affluent than the owners of a RX330, but they are the *future* of Toyota.

Which car will the young, "rattled" RAV4ers buy when they become affluent?