Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    I disagree that they are high. My Rolla and the Rav have been next to nothing. The '99 Rolla has 60,000, and I replaced the air filter twice (around $20 each), plugs (around $20 total each change), coolant change twice ($50 each time), and oil changes ($3.75 total (incl tax) per filter, plus oil). Manual tranny oil once ($15). I only use Toyota parts, but I have only let the dealer touch my car to do the coolant changes (hard to dispose of). I do the rest myself, since it is so easy on Toyotas. For the Rav (36,000 miles), same thing, except no spark plug changes, and with the 4wd, I had the dealer change the transfer case oil (not really necessary, but I keep cars for 200,000 plus miles, so I had it done at 30,000, then every 60,000 after that($50)). I changed the rear dif oil ($10) and the cabin air filter ($20).
    Bottom line: if you let the dealer do the "recommended service", it will be very expensive, because the dealers are trying to get rich. If you must use the dealers for your service, just tell them what you want done, don't have them do the "recommended service." This will save tons of money, and most of it is inspections, which anyone can do as well or better than the dealers. Yes, if you had dealers do everything I did it would be more, but not much more than any other car.
    Regarding the price, yes, it's a little high, but you get what you pay for in this case, IMHO.
  • rblelandrbleland Member Posts: 312
    The Canadian RAV4 is less costly, with the same trim/options level and converting the dollar. The loaded model tested on Edmunds here is $27,349 w auto trans. That model in Canada would be called the "Limited" and would be $33,550 Cdn w auto tranny. That converts to about $24,850 US. The Cdn model does NOT have the Vehicle Stability Control and makes do w rear drums and those items would be part of the $2,500 US difference; so the pricing is a little closer than first appears. OTOH,the Cdn leather seats in the Limited are heated. Back a year or so the Cdn dollar was weaker against the US $, then the Cdn price was even more favorable.
  • anselmo1anselmo1 Member Posts: 163
    Has anyone found a solution at the Toyota dealership regarding the dash rattle TSB regarding all Toyota Rav 4's from 2001 to 2004?
    Mine was fixed two years ago, and it has been silent ever since. After the second time to the dealership, they put on a new cowl and some padding. Again, this was two years ago. This should be an easy fix now. Many people have chosen to fix it themselves with perfect success. Do a search for Rav4, and you'll find it.
  • wannaravwannarav Member Posts: 5
    I've pretty much decided on this model but... I will be hauling about 600 lbs (just an estimate) on a daily basis mostly highway driving. I need to find out if a 2.4L motor with FWD is going to handle the load. I am buying new and planning to keep the Rav for a long time. I was also considering extended warranty just in case. I can't afford to have any unexpected repair expenses that are over a couple hundred bucks. Its not in the budget. A deductible is a bit more reasonable. I am counting on Toyotas reputation to hold out. My prior car had to have the engine replaced, without the warranty I could not have had it done. I don't have a back up car and rely on my car not being out of service for any length of time. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • beebee13beebee13 Member Posts: 38
    I am considering purchasing a '04 RAV, and was wondering if anyone has put some kind of rear bumper guard on theirs....do they even offer them??? Even with a tow hitch there is still a chance of a slight rear ender....any suggestions?
    Bee
  • smsuvundecidedsmsuvundecided Member Posts: 49
    I'm no longer undecided, the Rav4 is the vehicle I want.

What sold me on the Rav4?

1. The Toyota quality and dependability. Toyotas hold their value much better then Fords.
    2. The appearance inside and out. The CR-V was to boring and bland (IMO).
    3. Gas mileage. I always here people with Explorers complain about how much gas they have to put into the tank. And we all know the Escape is not great on gas even with the new 2.3L 4 cylinder. If you don't believe me go to consumerreports.org.
    4. Space was not a major factor here. I know the Rav4 is the smallest of the 3 SUV's. Space was not a major concern for me. However, the Rav4 had much more leg room then the CR-V.
    5. The ride and the handling was superb.

Anyway, right now I'm looking for the best price. This is sort of fun. Especially when you arrive at the dealership prepared with knowledge (options you want, cost, invoice and value of your trade-in). I have these Toyota salemen nearly begging me to buy from them. The interesting thing is I've found 2 dealerships that say they will beat anyone's best price. I'm about to find out tomorrow.

BTW, Test drove a 2005 Escape with the 2.3L 4 Cyl engine yesterday. If you're considering an Escape get the V6. The 4 cylinder was kind of weak. And the gas mileage isn't a significant improvement over the V6.

This is all (mostly) my opinion, the Rav4 fits my needs best. If I wanted more space and aren't concerned about gas mileage (and reliability) I probably would have gone for the Escape. It's a nice looking vehicle, but so is the Rav4 (IMO).
    Your choice of the RAV4 over the CRV and Escape is for much the same reasons that I got my RAV4. Good for you. I've had mine now for about 2 months and am thoughly enjoying it. I would add superior AWD system to your list of pluses for the RAV. It is fun to drive which I cannot say about the CRV or the Ford. Mine also has the 235 tires which add to the handling. You will not regret it!! Color??
    I'm getting the L package with moonroof and aluminum wheels. I don't really need the AWD and the 235 tires.... I don't think I really need them either. Color? Titanium, that is the only problem I had with the Rav4, they didn't have a better choice of colors. There is a new color for the 2005 Escape that I love called Gold Ash... I think. My first choice of color would be a medium blue, but the Rav4 doesn't come in that color and the blue they have is to dark for me. The silver or titanium as they call it is my next favorite color. That is what I'll be getting.

I was tempted to get an AWD, but that adds about 1000-1200 to the price and I don't think I need it. I've driven front wheel drive 4 cylinder sedans most of my life (with the except of a 4x4 Dodge Dakota when I lived in beautiful Montana) and personally don't think it's worth it for me.

BTW the Dodge Dakota was a MAJOR MISTAKE. The 4 wheel drive went belly up two weeks after buying it. We traded it in for another Dodge mistake, the Dodge Intrepid. When I say we, I mean my wife at the time fell in love with both vehicles. I'm no longer married to her (THANK GOD!! she was in jail Christmas 97 for writing bad/false checks), have much better credit and can make a sound decision based on numerous factors other then my emotions.

Tell me what you think rbleland and mcdawgg, and thanks for your feedback/input.
    ..the Titanium silver is very popular, think it is No.1 choice, but the Spectra Blue can't be far behind. Mine is Spectra Blue and it is gorgeous!! Can't go wrong w silver as it is easier to keep clean. Just won't be the only one, but no big deal on that. NOted in Motor Trend recently that silver is No.1 car color choice in NA w over 20% of total.
    Assuming you live somewhere the climate is benign, the AWD is probably not necessary for you. I'm in southern B.C. (don't know why the flag is the US one, not Canadian??) so we have some winter and also some forestery roads - AWD is important to me. Your call there, FWD is cheaper, lighter and maybe slightly less maintenance. I do think the larger 235 tires are good from a handling POW, but your call again.
    Enjoy your shopping !!!
    I live in the Chicago area. There are plenty of Rav4's in stock here, but most are silver. I have yet to see a blue one. Maybe I should check it out.

I can understand why you would want the AWD model. If I were in Montana I would go for the AWD model too.

Thanks again!
    for sure - it's called Spectra Blue Mica, and it's metallic - it is a deep, mid-range to darker blue that just glistens in the sunlight. Mine is the blue (we get solid colors here so the bumpers, side protector strip and wheel arches are blue also)and I added the chrome side step bars and (of course) it has the mag wheels. Got a second set of after-market mags to run with my 4 winter tires - so it looks good summer and winter. Look the colors up on the Toyota website.
    I think the blue is the nicest but it is a subjective call for sure. Good luck!!
  • gogiboygogiboy Member Posts: 732
    We've been following the discussion of this board for some time and after narrowing our choice between 5 speed versions of the CRV and RAV4 we have decided to go with the RAV.

In the end we liked features in both vehicles and have no bias for or against either manufacturer since we currently own a 92 Toyota MR2 and 94 Honda Civic and both of those cars are far superior to anything we owned previously from Detroit or Germany.

We liked the additional cargo space of the CRV for my bike, but I can easily disassemble it and make the fit in the RAV, plus the RAV factory rack will accept Thule and Yakima bike mounts according to those man. websites. The RAV felt more car-like, and the FWD version is more fuel efficient that the AWD CRV we were considering (primarily because of the options pkg, not the AWD since we live in the south). With gas expected to top $3/gallon this summer the roughly 500 lb weight difference with roughly equivalent torque/hp is substantial and that factored into our decision.

Interestingly, it's easier in my area to get a better deal on a CRV than a RAV4 despite the fact that the CRV appears to be outselling the RAV by a considerable margin. But that may also be due to the fact that we are ordering a RAV equipped exactly the way we want it rather than getting one off a lot or through dealer trade.

The beauty in ordering one, however, is that you purchase exactly what you want rather than what (in this case) Gulf States Toyota thinks you should get in terms of options bundles with you car. Thus, no extraneous (for us) Extra Mile Pkgs and the like. Of course we have to wait 5-6 months for delivery, but we aren't in any rush.

In the end the best price we could get on the RAV4 is 6% over Dealer Wholesale (according to the Consumer Reports price sheet I bought) and a little less than 4% over invoice whereas the CRV was 5% over Dealer Wholesale and 3% over invoice. In OK we pay a 3% excise tax based on actual price paid, not MSRP, to the state plus tag and title, but it is not part of the total paid to the dealer.

We ordered our FWD, 5 speed, Everglade Green RAV with the following options: Factory Installed:(AW),(UP),(GY),(KE),(DR),(RF),(MG). Port Installed: (CF),(NI),(P4) For a grand total out-the-door Price of $21,455. It's not an AWD or Automatic, but it's obviously better than $5500 cheaper than the Edmunds road tested 2004 RAV.

We could have gotten the 5 speed EX CRV for $21.090

I don't know if any of the above info will be useful, but I figured I owed something to the group for all the helpful information gleaned from these discussions. Obviously, in the end, the best choice is what best suits each driver/owner's needs, but both small "SUVs" are well made and have excellent reliability. And both appear to have legions of admirers.
  • wombenwomben Member Posts: 1
    My wife's 2001, while at a stoplight, began surging which she couldn't overcome with her brake - hitting and moving a large SUV in front of her........has anyone else noted surging in their RAV4? There was a recent recall for Camrys for a surging problem.
    Dang... I don't think I could wait 5-6 months for a Rav4. It will be nice when they start building them state side. The local Toyota dealer here told me they plan on building Rav4's in the US around 2006/7.

Anyway, here in Chicago the CR-V's are cheaper priced, but I believe it is because they have a large supply here in Chicagoland.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Other Canadian members have the right flag flying; I don't know why yours is missing. Try tweaking your Profile and logging out and back in. (link's at the top left).

Are you sure you're north of 49 and not one of those Washington Vancouverites? :-)

Steve, Host
    After all the searching I've done, I have not seen the blue color you're describing. I thought it was to dark. However, if it is the same blue that I have seen on new Camry's and Corolla's blue would have to be my #1 color choice. The 2005 Escape has a new blue, but it looks faded and dull (IMO).

BTW, I replied to a Ford dealer here, I told him I was buying a Rav4 for the following reasons:

"Price (value), depreciation, quality and mileage were key factors."

This is what he replied back with:

"I believe that the Ford Escape is a better value for the reasons you stated. . .

Plus...When given the choice.....I buy American."

I then replied back to him the following:

"That is your opinion; however, go to consumerreports.org, Edmunds.com, kbb.com and others. Look at the history and ratings. Isn't a lot of Fords made in Mexico and Canada (nothing against my Canadian/Mexican friends, I was just trying to make a point)? Toyota has many models built in the US. I think the buy American phrase is a bit blurred. My vehicles are assemble at various plants throughout the world with parts from numerous countries. To say that buying a Ford means you're buying American isn't true, you're just buying from an American company that has vehicles built all over the globe.

I test drove the new 2005 2.3L yesterday, weak and loud. And the gas mileage isn't much of an improvement over the V6."

I haven't received a reply. Of course a Ford dealer is gonna say that, if they didn't he wouldn't sell any cars. It's the same for any other car dealer, they are going to say their vehicle is the best yadda, yadda, yadda. But in my opinion and tons of others, including Edmunds and Consumer Reports, the Rav4 is a better pick for me.
    I'm new here and I am looking for some help...I've pretty much decided on this model but... I will be hauling about 600 lbs (just an estimate) on a daily basis mostly highway driving. I need to find out if a 2.4L motor with FWD is going to handle the load. I am buying new and planning to keep the Rav for a long time. I was also considering extended warranty just in case. I can't afford to have any unexpected repair expenses that are over a couple hundred bucks. Its not in the budget. A deductible is a bit more reasonable. I am counting on Toyotas reputation to hold out. My prior car had to have the engine replaced, without the warranty I could not have had it done. I don't have a back up car and rely on my car not being out of service for any length of time. Any input will be appreciated. Thanks!
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    I believe 600 pounds is within the limits. You should be able to find the max weight recommended, somewhere - maybe Edmonds or the Toyota site.

My wife has a 2002 RAV4 - with the 2.0L engine. I remember hauling at least 600 pounds of lime in it and it was a bit of a struggle. Add 240 for me and 100 for the wife for a total of 940. If your weight approaches this consider a vehicle with a bigger engine. IMVHO.
    Never heard of surging before. Check the Camry site. Maybe they have discussions on the issue. Did you call the dealer about this? Did it straighten out? Anyone know if this car is drive by wire? or the traditional cable set up?
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    I've read the '01 RAV is drive-by-wire, and I assume all newer models are too.
    600 lbs should be fine. Consider this, if you had 4 adults each weighing... say 185 lbs. That would put you at over 700 lbs. The Rav4 was designed to carry 5 people. In my opinion you should be okay.

I wish some current Rav4 owners would post here more often.

As of today I have yet to buy my Rav4. They won't give me much for my trade-in so I'm trying to sell it before I buy the Rav4. The two local dealers keep calling me about twice a week. I think when I do sell my car I'm going to get a deal on the Rav4 that I want. The funny thing about this is the CR-V prices here are dropping. You can get a 2004 CR-V AWD EX for 21k. But they would have to drop the price considerably for me to purchase a CR-V. The Price to Ugly factor ratio would change too. LOL
    smsuv is experiencing the same issues we faced before ordering our RAV4. In my area (OK) there is an abundance of both CRVs and RAV4's on the dealer lots we visited although probably more CRVs total.

Whether American Honda is offering dealers extra incentives or dealers are more motivated to unload stock they are cheaper than an equivalently optioned RAV4.

Like smsuv we found the RAV more aesthetically pleasing, and a more car-like drive. I think that if we lived up north where travel in snowy conditions is a more constant issue we might have leaned more to the CRV despite aesthetic issues. However, even though I believe the Toyota AWD system superior to the Honda AWD, we would have been priced out of the AWD RAV4. The funny thing is I spent 30+ years of my life living in MI and WI and drove awful rwd American made sedans for all, but one of the years I lived there and somehow managed to survive.

Smsuv is smart to sell their old vehicle rather than trade it in because the dealer will always gouge you on the trade-in (or look for additional profit somewhere else) and because it will take that issue off the table and make your negotiating much simpler. We have also found great financing through Capital One (there is a link on Edmunds site). It's something like 3.4% right now, which is substantially better than any lender in our area and approaches some of the best manufacturer financing.

Given that RAV4s aren't selling that well--at least in my area does anyone know why Toyota isn't offering any incentives? My local dealer has about 6 Ravs on the lot, 2 of which are 2003 models. Could it be because they are imported rather than made in the US/Canada/Mexico?
  • bpraticobpratico Member Posts: 23
    I'm currently driving a 96 RAV with 140k miles - not one thing has gone wrong (not even a light bulb has burned out.) The vehicle has been phenomenal, and I'm looking to get a new RAV sometime down the road.

I've looked closely at the CRV and Forester XT, even the Honda Element - but keep coming back the RAV. I've been so spoiled by the RAV's reliability so I'm leery of anything else.

I'm waiting for "confirmed" rumors of what Toyota will do in the 2006 RAV model year (which would be released in the fall of 2005).

Rumors abound of the RAV being discontinued in 2006, or continuing with a V6 option of the RAV in 2006, etc.

Anyone out there know someone who works for Toyota and can give us a confirmed rumor?
    Don't wait, go buy your next vehicle. You can't go wrong with any of those you picked. You just need to factor in your needs and taste, however, if you wife falls in love with the vehicle then that is probably the one you should buy. You must make her happy.

Did I mention before that you shouldn't bring your wife with you car shopping?
    You state -> "Given that RAV4s aren't selling that well" How do you know? You might be correct though. I went back to a few of the dealers and saw the same Rav4's still on the lot.
    Has anyone put a bumper guard on their RAV rear bumper for added protection? Also, when did they stop making the 2 door RAV? Seen a few around...just wondering why they stopped amking them.
    Smsuv--I really don't know how well the 2004 Rav4s are selling except from my own experience on the few lots I visited (mostly the local Toyota lot). I can't remember if I read it on Edmund's site, but there was a quote stating that part of the reason Toyota re-freshened the 04 Rav was that sales had dropped 50% from the 02 to 03 model. Of the four Toy. dealerships I visited all had 3-4 new 2003 models still available with an equal or smaller number of 04s.

I also read--although I don't remember where--that the Jeep Liberty and Honda CRV are battling for first place in terms of total sales and that they were followed by the Ford Escape/Mazda Tribute twins. Don't know how far below the above mentioned small SUVs the Rav4 ranked. I tried accessing a website that supposedly offers sales figures, but couldn't download the info and now I seem to have lost the web address. Maybe someone knows where fairly up-to-date sales figures can be gotten.

I certainly don't mean to claim any inside information or to mislead folks about how well a given vehicle is selling and my previous statements should only be viewed as anectdotal observation of a local trend. I thought if the Rav4 was selling poorly it might give me some additional leverage when buying, but the dealer can dispute the figures anyway, or may not care.
    Actually the sales drop from 02 to 03 was 15%, not 50%, which isn't all that bad. Sorry! How much less than a CRV or Liberty would be helpful, though.
    .. is shown right in the www.toyotausa.com website under "colors" for the RAV4. Sorry, can't post pix of mine. Sorry to be so long in reply but I was away 10 days. I have recently seen this spectra blue mica color on US RAV4s so I know it exists in the US. Keep looking!!
    I have been swaying toward a van but keep coming back to the Rav4. I'm so confused! I go to flea markets and need space for tables and merchandise, a cooler and room to sleep in if I choose to. Just not sure its big enough. I looked at vans but they seem too big. I checked out the CR-V found it to be well... after sitting in the Rav I don't need to say much LOL. With the price of gas the Rav looks real good! The V-6 do use more gas which is why I really didn't pay alot of attention to the Liberty or the Tribute. I have a Geo hatchback now but its just not big enough. I don't see doing flea markets the rest of my life, so a van would be good now, but not of much use later. I don't think that I will have another chance to buy a new car like this again. I want this one to last 10 yrs or more. If I quit flea marketing the Rav4 will still not be too big. Boy do I need HELP!!!!!!!
    I just read that 2000 was the last year for 2 door Ravs
    No news about that year, but at the 04 auto show a rep from Toyota told me that 06-07 could be a hybrid. Only toyota knows and they are tight lipped about what and when they do anything. Sorry it isn't much help.
  • fagglefaggle Member Posts: 5
    I have been told that it is necessary to put a new timing belt on the Rav4 at 60,000 miles and also to change several of the fluids in the drive train area. Is this necessary? Any help would be GREATLY appreciated.....
    YES - it is necessary. If your timing belt lets go, you will have a lot bigger bill to deal with (like a rebuilt engine). And fresh fluids is just inexpensive insurance. Just do it!!
    Yes, do the timing belt, but I am pretty sure that most, if not all Toyotas, have non-interference engines, so if the belt breaks, you just stop, but no engine damage. Other makers, like Honda, have interference engines - belt breaks, engine is destroyed. Also, do the fluid changes.
  • andrelaplumeandrelaplume Member Posts: 934
    We were looking for a bike rack for our 96 Rav (any suggestions).

There seam to be 2 types in general, one that connects to the area where the spare tire is and racks that connect to a 2" hitch. To my surprise our RAV has the bumper in the back and when I pulled out the little rubber Toyota logo...low and behold a hitch. HOWEVER it appears to only be 1" square. Is this another one of those wanna be SUV features that are really meant more for show than play? Certainly I would never tow anything with this RAV...it just bearly moves itself. Still if a bike rack can be hooked up here I'd like to hear about it. THANKS!
    Response to 1342-1344

I was told by the dealer from whom I ordered my 04 Rav4 that the Rav4 uses a timing chain, not a timing belt and that it never has to be replaced. I believe that this was backed up on Toyota's website.

My 1992 MR2 has a non-interference timing belt which I replaced at 58,000 miles.

Anyone have a clarification?
  • rickstratrickstrat Member Posts: 25
    Get a hidden hitch adapter for about $25 that gets you from 1 1/4 to 2" hitch receiver. Or you could buy a 1 1/4" bike carrier.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    according to Toyota. I'm sure that's what will happen nationwide once the Scion rollout is complete. I considered the Rav before I bought my xB. The xB has more room than the Rav and has ABS, vehicle stability control (VSC), and traction control all standard for less than $15K. Check out the xB before you buy a Rav.
    What the heck is an xB? And you're talking about California. Cali is like another country to me. There's so many fruit cakes there. Most in Hollywood.
  • stragerstrager Member Posts: 308
    Scion is a new division of Toyota. Check out scion.com to see what the xB looks like - you'll like it or really hate it (but drive it and sit it in before you make a judgement, it has leg room rivaling that of a limo). The xB is really eating into Rav4 sales in California. It has been sold in Japan for more than 3 years as the Toyota bB - an extremely popular car with Japanese guys.

Ask your Toyota dealer when they expect to start selling the xB.
    And I thought the Honda element was UGLY! It looks like a mini Element. Anything popular in Cali is unpopular with me, except your new Gov. Arnie needs to terminate all the taxes... LOL
    Yes, the '01 thru current Ravs have a timing chain.
    I like the Xa. I think they will probably discontinue the ECHO?

My next car may be the Xa - good for a commuter to the train station car.

The X's have a 1.5 L engine, the RAV4 2.4 - big difference here IMVHO
    It's very obvious that they both have big differences.

1.5L engine - excellent on gas, but not on power. It might be what they like to label small cars with as "peppy"

2.4L engine - good on gas, and good power.

Scion is a big mistake. It might be popular in Japan, but everybody I've talked to doesn't like them, even the Toyota salesman told me they where ugly.
    what's the latest on the hybrid RAV???
  • mr_botsmr_bots Member Posts: 236
    How well does the leather in these hold up? I have relatives that own vehicles with leather and after two years it really looks worn. I prefer cloth, but I've always wanted to try leather, and am worried about what it'll look like years down the road.
    Don't know about leather in the RAV, but wife has leather in her Solara and it's 5 years old and the leather still looks new. Probably depends on how you treat it.
  • flowerpowerflowerpower Member Posts: 14
    hi, iam seriously deciding between the rav4 and the crv,two things i am wondering about,i have a civic 02 now and i know one thing i will have to do is replace the timing belt(serpentine) at 110k miles i assume the same would true of the crv in order to avoid engine breakdown(freezing up and replacement) typical on all honda vehicles,the other observation is the extreme discomfort from the crv seats on long term drives, so my first question is are the rav 4 comfortable on long term drives and are toyotas free on the timing belt issue. this can mean money i wont have to spend down the line on the rav 4. thanks for any feedback,your comments would be greatly appreciated.