Edmunds dealer partner, Bayway Leasing, is now offering transparent lease deals via these forums. Click here to see the latest vehicles!

Toyota RAV4 pre-2006

Comments

• ravnbikeravnbike Member Posts: 4
    Yes, the steering wheel audio controls are lighted.
  • blackandblueblackandblue Member Posts: 66
    What is a good price for a 7 year, 75,000 mile platinum, with zero deductible? Thanks.
  • wsommarivawsommariva Member Posts: 157
    And BTW, the system works very well. My light came on and I was 12 pounds low in one tire that has a screw in it.

Resetting is a simple process. As stated, just reset and go.
  • piglet1350piglet1350 Member Posts: 2
    I am looking at buying a new(for me, 99-03) car in the next 4-6 months. I've narrowed my choices down to a CRV or RAV4. My research thus far places them in nearly a dead heat. Anyone out there with knowldege or experience to help sway my vote either way? Thanks
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Check out the Honda CR-V vs.Toyota RAV4 discussion too.

Steve, Host
  • suvtimesuvtime Member Posts: 58
    Has anyone heard any news on the next RAV4? When will it be released? I'm hoping they will release it early like they did with the last Corola.
  • i_luv_toyotai_luv_toyota Member Posts: 350
    I still cannot figure out why Toyota doesn't offer fog lights with the RAV4's Sport Package.

I know basically it's an appearance package, but those 2 black covered holes in the bumper aren't doing much for a "sporty" appearance.

May as well just buy a base model and save a few bucks.
  • glory251glory251 Member Posts: 3
    Just thought I'd pass on a commercial I saw for the Rav4 the other night. It was late and I wasn't paying full attention, but what caught my eye is the "New Rav4 with 3rd row seating". Now, I'll remind you it was late, but I "SWEAR" the commercial was for a Rav4. That really through me for a loop so I quick went to the website an the Rav 4 only holds 5 people, so I suppose the ad was talking about the 2005. Now there can't be much room back there, but that's a big change in my book. I don't own one, but I will be in the market for an economical vehicle that can hold a family of 6. I do have a 04 Sienna LE (great van) for the wife and I drive a Jetta TDI (great gas milage). Hope this helps.
  • diegandiegan Member Posts: 1
    I am in the market for a new small suv. I have test driven 3x both the Rav4 and Honda CRV , auto FWD models. I like that the CRV offers side airbags readily available in my area(southern Calif)but no Antilock brakes. THe Rav4 brochure says side airbags are opt, but 3 dealers said they never have seen 1 with them for 2004. Has anyone had this problem finding this option? Also, does anyone know why the RAV4 which seats 5, only has rear head rests for 2, isn't it the law to have head restraints for the number of occupants. I had decided on the Honda CRV finally on Sunday (didn't buy yet though) when all this fire/oil filter problems with the CRV were discovered. Now I'm undecided again. Any suggestions...
  • bpraticobpratico Member Posts: 23
    From an Australian magazine. This speaks of an Aug 2005 debut date, which equates to a 2006 model.

http://img40.photobucket.com/albums/v124/mohit/rav4.jpg
  • lbmcclbmcc Member Posts: 15
    My wife's 04 Rav has sideairbags. This option was important for us too. They seemed to be quite common here in the NorthEast (Buffalo, NY) when we were shopping around.
  • oskwioskwi Member Posts: 88
    Hello fellow "Buffalonian"! (I'm in the Tonawanda/Amherst area) Have you been through any Buffalo winters with your Rav4 and if so, how did you find the handling? I recently bought a 2001 Mazda Protege ES and I will be trading it in in about a year for a small SUV or crossover vehicle so that I can transport my mountain bike and classroom teaching materials more effectively. So far, I am considering the Toyota Matrix, RAV4 and Mazda3 wagon version.

Any insights would be appreciated!
    Should we start our own topic/posts? We're from Tonawanda too and my wife got hers in June, from Culligan. My daughter drove it, fell in love, and she gets hers tonight from Northtown. My research told me this would be the best vechile for what they need it for. Getting back and forth to work, driving around town, and maybe some long distance trips for two. We have not experienced any snow driving yet but I can say that I have gotten a very sure footed feel from the ride. So far there is nothing I don't like, but I don't think I'll be getting to drive them very often.
    Small world, no? Which dealership did you find to be better? I've heard varied reports about Northtown...but nothing seems consistent! Since I will be purchasing in about a year from now, I am planning to check out Fuccillo's on Grand Island. Supposedly, his new building venture is going to be for Toyotas. Everyone I know who has purchased, or gone for service there, has been VERY impressed!
    I prefer Northtown, and I get all my service there (that I don't do myself). The deal for my wife's RAV4 was not going well at Northtown so we went to Culligan and she got what she wanted with a good deal. My daughter went to Northtown and showed them what my wife payed and they did a little better. I also have heard nothing but good things about Fuccillo's we just could not wait a year.
  • lbmcclbmcc Member Posts: 15
      We bought from Culligan. Northtown couldn't match their price and Culligan gave us more for our trade. (See my other posts) Both dealerships were very professional and straight-forward about everything. I know nothing about Fucillo other than that I am sick of his HUGE etc commercials...
      We've had the RAV since late May so no snow driving yet. Overall my wife is extremely happy with the car.
    Thanks for the info. I was also considering the Mazda3 wagon, but after reading the plethora of A/C problems, I think I'll scracth that off the list and concentrate on the RAV4 and Matrix.

I agree lbmcc, Fuccillo's ad campaigns are getting a little too intense for my taste. He must spend a fortune between the radio and tv advertising!

Did the two of you, or anyone else for that matter, drive/research any other vehicles before the RAV4 purchase?

Thanks for your responses!
  • alineraliner Member Posts: 2
    I'm also from the Buffalo area and looking for a new Rav4. Anyone know when the 2005's will be here?
  • vuuduuvuuduu Member Posts: 1
    You can make it from LA to Vegas in your RAV4. I did, but whould NOT recommend it. When I drove up hill, my RAV4 was straining. You have no passing power. I was only able to do about 60 m.p.h going up hill. However, the new 2004s have a 2.4L engine with 160HP which is a bit stronger.
  • khrnkhrn Member Posts: 3
    I have recently purchased a Rav-4 and have noticed
    they recommend oil changes at 5,000 miles. I have
    always done it at 3,000 miles. I'm interested in what
    everyone else is doing and your recommendations. Thanks for your help.
  • steverstever Guest Posts: 52,454
    Toyota SUV gets top safety pick (CNN Money)

Keep looking for the side air bag optioned ones, Diegan.

Khrn, I'd go with the factory recommendation for oil change intervals. There's no scientific basis for the old 3,000 mile rule of thumb.

Steve, Host
    In the olden days I also changed every 3,000 miles. Then I bought a 2000 VW and the manual had a 10,000 mile change interval!!! So I changed every 5k. We bought a 2002 RAV4 and the manual has a 7,500 interval. We change at 5k. Now, my 2004 RAV4 has the 5k interval. I change at 4k.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Even 5K sounds frequent nowadays for a recently-designed engine. Are you sure the 5K interval wasn't already the "severe schedule?"
    I am almost 100% certain that the 5k is the regular interval. I'll check tonight. I believe the severe is 3.75k
  • rickstratrickstrat Member Posts: 25
    Toyota has designed a "wonderful" free option to remind you to change your oil at 4,500mi intervals. I had to dig into the manual to figure out how to turn the "maint. requir'd" idiot light off. I had already changed mine at 3k as it takes me 6 months to put that much mileage on.
    I checked my maintenance manual this AM. 5k is the only oil change interval.

The "maint" light is a good idea. Would be nice if we could change it to a different interval.
  • 307web307web Member Posts: 1,033
    Oh, well 5K is probably a good interval. It is already pretty conservative for a modern engine and it lines up well with a tire rotation schedule so you can just get everything done in one trip.
  • 719b719b Member Posts: 216
    i wonder if the oil change schedule was changed due to the sludge problem toyota had?
  • hanshinolehanshinole Member Posts: 4
    I need to replace the rear seatbelt on the driver's side.
    I've replace the shoulder strap but can't figure out how to get into the seat to replace the locking strap.
    Does anyone know how to get the seat apart or get to the strap?
  • daryll44daryll44 Member Posts: 307
    hit the dealer lots?
  • jcliffrojcliffro Member Posts: 108
    I don't suppose anyone who orders RAV4s for the entire Gulf South area reads this website? If you do, PLEASE START SENDING SOME WITH SIDE AIR BAGS AND AIR CURTAINS !!! If you need some incentive, please visit the insurance institute's website and view the side crash results for RAV4s with and without the side airbags option. I cannot imagine anyone buying this vehicle without side air bags and air curtains. So if you live in an area with a stupid supplier like I do, start demanding the option. Perhaps if unequipped models rot on dealer lots, someone will get the message.
  • pitbouvpitbouv Member Posts: 7
    I've read about a common problem in RAV4's regarding an annoying rattle that plagues the dashboard area. Has Toyota remedied this problem in the '04 models? Also... what is the largest size tire you can fit on a RAV4? I'm wanting to boost the ground clearance to navigate flooded roads. Thanks!
    I got the no charge dash rattle on my 2004.
  • bigp5750bigp5750 Member Posts: 1
    Hello. On the 2004 Rav4 dash the maintenence light is activated. How do you turn it off if doing your own oil changes, etc?
  • mickeymickey Member Posts: 3
    My 2004 RAV4 L, purchased in 12/2003, came with the dash/cowl rattle. My dealer could not hear the rattle when I asked them to fix it. As a result, the dealer will not have my maintenance business or future car purchase business. I plan to switch to another dealer and see what happens.

It's sad that Toyota won't issue a TSB, so that I don't have to rely on the hearing of the tech guy to have it fixed.
  • mcdawggmcdawgg Member Posts: 1,722
    Toyota did issue at least one TSB for the cowl rattle. My dealer fixed it over two years ago, and it had been silent ever since.
  • theknaackstheknaacks Member Posts: 1
    I am thinking of buying a RAV 4 what are some of your feelings about the interior space both front and rear. I am a big boy 6' 4" tall. Will i fit
  • 325irav4325irav4 Member Posts: 15
    If you have this problem see previous posts #1210, 1223 and 1236. Good Luck. My dash rattle is still gone (but there is one in the A or B pillar that I haven't been able to isolate).
    I'm six feet even and have plenty of room. You probably need to go sit in one at a dealer.
  • suvshopper4suvshopper4 Member Posts: 1,110
    Last weekend, I was able to put 2 adult-sized bicycles in the back of my '01 RAV4, once I took a minute (literally) and removed the back seats.

I was pleasantly surprised that I did not even have to remove the front tires from the bikes. The bikes rode just fine standing up, bungee- corded off to the side.

That's the kind of utility I like.

RAV on.
    -ss4
    Can anyone tell me about the safety (crash tests, rollover issues) of the RAV4? I am thinking about buying a '05 full loaded including the side airbags. Of course they are not in the showrooms yet, but I would imagine will arive before you know it. But I am wondering how safe this will be when my teenage daughter learns to drive on it (and will use it after she learns) next year.
  • crhcrh Member Posts: 29
    We're looking into a 2004 Rav4 for a 3rd family car. I can't seem to find out when the '05s come out. I assume that once they hit the showrooms, the dealers will be a little more easy to deal with for the '04s. I live in Northern Virginia, and the Toyota dealers around here have tons of '04s on the lots. Does anyone know when the '05s will be here?
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    Here's the link to the crash worthiness report -- http://www.hwysafety.org/vehicle%5Fratings/ce/html/0411.htm

There just was a big test done by the government on rollovers, but the Rav4 was not one of the vehicles tested.

For 2004, the side airbags only seem to be available on the loaded 4wd's. Hopefully, the 2wd's will have them as an option next year.

Your daughter is a lucky young lady!
    The reason we are looking at this car is because the primary driver will be our daughter, who will be a new driver. Everything I've read concerning safety seems to point me to the RAV4. I've also noticed, when looking at the local dealer inventories, that the AWDs are the only ones that have the side curtain airbags. We are also looking at the Malibu Maxx. My husband likes the Santa Fes, but the side curtain airbags aren't an option there.
  • andil1andil1 Member Posts: 97
    CRH, are you aware that Hyundai is debuting a RAV4/CRV sized mini-SUV, the Tucson, this fall? It will have both side airbags and side curtains standard on both the 4 and 6 cyl models, and adds traction control on 6 cyl. Edmunds has a message board for it as well as an article in the Future Vehicle section. Plus the HyundaiUSA website has info. Just food for thought...
  • tidestertidester Member Posts: 10,059
    Here's the link: Hyundai Tucson - 2005

tidester, host
    Thanks so much! I didn't know that. We are just in the initial stages. My husband asked me just last night if I knew whether or not Hyundai offered a smaller SUV. I'll check it out.
    My guess is that will make the RAV even more price competitive. Not that ANY Toyota needs to be sold at or below cost like GM/FORD/DCX has to do. But it does mean that anyone considering a purchase now would probably get the same or better deal if they wait a month (or less) and get the '05.
    I did send an email to the local Hyundai dealer and he responded that they think they will have the Tucsons in two weeks. I agree with the above that waiting would be the smart thing to do. There are still alot of 04 Ravs on the lots here, and between the 05 Ravs and the Tucsons, I would imagine there will be some dealing room in a few weeks that isn't there today. I am very interested in the Hyundai but with some reservations. I feel like the Toyota is a known entity, whereas from what I've read, the Hyundais seem to have some service issues. I'm also not nuts about buying the first model year of anything...just too many unknowns. On the other hand, my husband really likes the Santa Fe, and with a significant amount of hail damage to his 96 Acura last week, he is considering a new vehicle for himself. Walking into a dealer and buying two vehicles at once might give us quite a bit of bargaining room as well.
    "two vehicle" leverage at Toyota as at Hyundai.

I agree that Hyundai is "up and coming". But if it were my dollars, I'd stick with Toyota.